PDA

View Full Version : Never mind Peyton in the cold, what about Champ?

ghwk
01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
So thinking back to the Raven game last year where Champ was smoked multiple times it brought back a few other memories of him in cold weather games. Last year he had difficulty turning and keeping with the receiver and this isn't the first time he has had games like that in cold weather. Although I cannot specifically remember the games I do seem to recall Champ struggling when the temp is in the low 30's and 20's. Is it just me or is cold actually a factor for him?

Kaylore
01-28-2014, 09:38 AM
He got beat because he's aged. Not because it was cold.

Irish Stout
01-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Champ is finally healthy and much more rested this year. He's been practicing in the cold with everyone else for awhile. Not worried.

Really though CBs, no matter how good, eventually get beat. Its a hard and very athletic job.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-28-2014, 09:42 AM
So thinking back to the Raven game last year where Champ was smoked multiple times it brought back a few other memories of him in cold weather games. Last year he had difficulty turning and keeping with the receiver and this isn't the first time he has had games like that in cold weather. Although I cannot specifically remember the games I do seem to recall Champ struggling when the temp is in the low 30's and 20's. Is it just me or is cold actually a factor for him?

I believe the divisional game against New England in '05 was extremely cold. As you remember, Champ made Brady pay that night and took a 99 yard interception to the house.

TonyR
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
Is it just me or is cold actually a factor for him?

He was oddly terrible in that game after having a very good year. But I don't know why the weather would be the main reason.

ghwk
01-28-2014, 09:45 AM

I agree that CB's get old and slow down but last year he didn't get toasted that much until that game. I think cold is a factor for him.

Samiwindr
01-28-2014, 09:46 AM
Champ had a mental breakdown against Baltimore, pure and simple. Cold had nothing to do with it. He dominated the entire regular season and shut down every marquise receiver he was matched up with. I can't imagine him being too happy about fielding questions on why Richard Sherman is the best CB in football. I think our defense will show up big on Sunday and Champ will make one lucky Seahawk invisible for that game.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-28-2014, 09:48 AM
He was oddly terrible in that game after having a very good year. But I don't know why the weather would be the main reason.

Yep. Might have just been a **** game

Meck77
01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
Can't recall what year it was. 05 or 06 raiders at home with some snow. He was really struggling finding his footing in the snow. Maybe it was just his cleats.

Kaylore
01-28-2014, 10:04 AM
Can't recall what year it was. 05 or 06 raiders at home with some snow. He was really struggling finding his footing in the snow. Maybe it was just his cleats.

That's characteristic of playing in the snow. Defense really suffers in heavy snow games because the offense knows where they are going but the defense has to adjust. If you have to cut suddenly and the field is slippery, you're going to lose. It is why in that Eagles Lions snow game both teams combined for 5 touchdowns in a couple minutes.

Saying that Champ had a bad game against the Ravens because it was cold that day is like saying Legarrette Blount had a bad game in the AFCCG because it was sunny and he must therefore be a vampire.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-28-2014, 10:05 AM
That's characteristic of playing in the snow. Defense really suffers in heavy snow games because the offense knows where they are going but the defense has to adjust. If you have to cut suddenly and the field is slippery, you're going to lose. It is why in that Eagles Lions snow game both teams combined for 5 touchdowns in a couple minutes.

Saying that Champ had a bad game against the Ravens because it was cold that day is like saying Legarrette Blount had a bad game in the AFCCG because it was sunny and he must therefore be a vampire.

Prove he's not!

Meck77
01-28-2014, 10:06 AM

I've never run in snow. Thanks for explaining how that works. Ha!

Old Dude
01-28-2014, 10:11 AM
I don't have time to dig up the stats this morning, but if memory serves me right, Champ had a pretty good regular season campaign in 2012.

He had a tough time with AJ Green (and who doesn't), but he continued to shut down or limit a number of premier receivers that year. On December 16, he held Torrey Smith to one catch for 14 yards.

From what I recall, he was successful in jamming Smith at the LOS.

That didn't happen in the January playoff game. Smith kept getting free from the LOS and it became a speed match. On one of the bombs, Smith pushed off (and wasn't called) but that sort of thing happens and in the past Champ just wasn't as vulnerable to that kind of tactic.

So yeah, I think he definitely lost a step, but was able to make up for that most of last year by positional play.

Also, Denver's pass rush probably helped the entire secondary, including Champ, in the regular season, but was swallowed up in the Ravens loss.

I think it's really hard to tell exactly where Champ is right now. Obviously, the preseason foot injury was more serious than anyone realized, and he took longer to heal from it. (Which also happens as you get older). He did not look good in the Colts game but maybe they just brought him back too soon.

He was on Danny Amendola for a good portion of last week's game, and Amendola was a non-factor. It's hard to tell whether Champ had position on him all day or whether Brady just decided to avoid that matchup, but Brady isn't a fool, so I suspect the former.

I really don't know what to expect out of Champ in the super bowl. I don't think weather is going to be as much a factor as the relative speed and skill of Seattle's receivers - and in that regard, they don't exactly have an elite crew of receivers.

Kaylore
01-28-2014, 10:13 AM
I've never run in snow. Thanks for explaining how that works. Ha!

Well I'm just saying. OP says Champ played bad, and it was cold ergo Cold = bad play. Post hoc propter Hoc fallacy.

WoodMan
01-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Um... it is not going to be particularly cold on Sunday. Low thirtys up to about 40. that is far from cold. the ratbird game last year was cold. Really cold with the wind chill. I think you are looking for things to worry about.

TripleTilde
01-28-2014, 10:48 AM
The Baltimore game for last year because Champ is getting older and because Torrey Smith is super fast and athletic. Does Seattle have someone like Torrey Smith? Harvin maybe but I would guess DRC would take him.

Agamemnon
01-28-2014, 10:53 AM
It's not even going to be that cold. This thread is dumb.

broncocalijohn
01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
I believe the divisional game against New England in '05 was extremely cold. As you remember, Champ made Brady pay that night and took a 99 yard interception to the house.

That game was actually pretty nice. There are pictures in the tailgate forum of that epic day with the maners and know there was no snow on the ground. Jacket weather but it was nice for Denver.

I have no worries of Champ and weather. I think his showing lately is good enough for me.

TonyR
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Um... it is not going to be particularly cold on Sunday. Low thirtys up to about 40.

Agree, but perhaps worth noting the temps you're stating will be the highs for the day. The game is being played at 6:25pmEST so the temp will be probably be dropping after the sun sets at 5:15pm. Regardless, at worst it will probably be upper 20's.

WolfpackGuy
01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Ratbirds went max protect a lot in that game.

I still think Champ acted was expecting help on that first TD, and the second TD was a great underthrow and catch.

He flat out got burned on the one Flukeo overthrew though.

Jetmeck
01-28-2014, 11:59 AM

One bad game.

Even made a few positive comments about your football knowledge

and then you want to board the stupid train..............

Jetmeck
01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't have time to dig up the stats this morning, but if memory serves me right, Champ had a pretty good regular season campaign in 2012.

He had a tough time with AJ Green (and who doesn't), but he continued to shut down or limit a number of premier receivers that year. On December 16, he held Torrey Smith to one catch for 14 yards.

From what I recall, he was successful in jamming Smith at the LOS.

That didn't happen in the January playoff game. Smith kept getting free from the LOS and it became a speed match. On one of the bombs, Smith pushed off (and wasn't called) but that sort of thing happens and in the past Champ just wasn't as vulnerable to that kind of tactic.

So yeah, I think he definitely lost a step, but was able to make up for that most of last year by positional play.

Also, Denver's pass rush probably helped the entire secondary, including Champ, in the regular season, but was swallowed up in the Ravens loss.

I think it's really hard to tell exactly where Champ is right now. Obviously, the preseason foot injury was more serious than anyone realized, and he took longer to heal from it. (Which also happens as you get older). He did not look good in the Colts game but maybe they just brought him back too soon.

He was on Danny Amendola for a good portion of last week's game, and Amendola was a non-factor. It's hard to tell whether Champ had position on him all day or whether Brady just decided to avoid that matchup, but Brady isn't a fool, so I suspect the former.

I really don't know what to expect out of Champ in the super bowl. I don't think weather is going to be as much a factor as the relative speed and skill of Seattle's receivers - and in that regard, they don't exactly have an elite crew of receivers.

Damn good factual common sense post..........

Natedogg
01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-second-helping-of-torrey-smiths-59-yard-touchdown-catch

(If you can bear it)

Natedogg
01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/no-champ-bailey-isnt-sucking

CHEF LUIGI
01-28-2014, 02:11 PM
champ baily

cutthemdown
01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Champ about to make us all look silly for saying he was washed up. PICK 6 comin up!

peacepipe
01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
Agree, but perhaps worth noting the temps you're stating will be the highs for the day. The game is being played at 6:25pmEST so the temp will be probably be dropping after the sun sets at 5:15pm. Regardless, at worst it will probably be upper 20's.
Still not that bad,try working outside with a -47 windchill. 20 degrees above zero is pretty good in comparison.