PDA

View Full Version : OT-CBC in April

JLesSPE
01-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Just found out I get to be part of the team representing the company I work for at the Craft Brewer's Conference in Denver this April. It's been so long since I've been to Denver, I'm really excited! Hopefully I can take a tour of SAF @ Mile High and see our 3 Lombardis.

OBF1
01-09-2014, 01:44 PM
You would be disappointed, The Lombardi's are located at corporate headquarter in Dove Valley.

broncocalijohn
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
You would be disappointed, The Lombardi's are located at corporate headquarter in Dove Valley.

LOL! He won't know. He will be drunk from all the craft brew tastings.

JLesSPE
01-09-2014, 02:15 PM

Good call, I was trying to keep it somewhat on topic and I failed. Thanks for keeping me in line.

BroncoBeavis
01-09-2014, 02:17 PM
Just found out I get to be part of the team representing the company I work for at the Craft Brewer's Conference in Denver this April. It's been so long since I've been to Denver, I'm really excited! Hopefully I can take a tour of SAF @ Mile High and see our 3 Lombardis.

I was just preparing to grill you about where you got 3 Lombardis from, and then realized you're a better fan than me.

OBF1
01-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Good call, I was trying to keep it somewhat on topic and I failed. Thanks for keeping me in line.

Its off season mode now, no worries. :wiggle:

JLesSPE
01-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Its off season mode now, no worries. :wiggle:

Yeah I know, at least I tagged it OT right? Feel free to move/delete, no worries

ZONA
01-09-2014, 03:40 PM

Yup, guarded by sharks with laser beams

Rabb
01-09-2014, 03:42 PM
You don't want to go to SAF@MH anyhow, they would make you sit down and not be excited about the trophies.

mwill07
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
So how does one go about getting a job in the craft brewing industry?

Garcia Bronco
01-09-2014, 04:34 PM
Last time I saw them was at the Bronco Store at Mile High during the AFCCG against Pittsburg.

JLesSPE
01-10-2014, 06:21 AM
So how does one go about getting a job in the craft brewing industry?

It's a big industry, what part do you want to get in on? I work in manufacturing, we design and build custom cellar and brewhouse equipment.

If you want to get into brewing I think there are people on this board with a lot more expertise than I have. Brewer and BFDD, for example.

Then there's always sales, marketing, distribution, farming (hops, barley...etc), biology (yeast strains), packaging, maintenance... kind of a long list.

JLesSPE
01-10-2014, 06:23 AM
You don't want to go to SAF@MH anyhow, they would make you sit down and not be excited about the trophies.

I've seen a lot of comments like this lately. I haven't been to a home game in years, is it really that bad now? I'm a very loud, never sit down kinda fan and SAF sounds like you're watching a football game in church.

Rabb
01-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I've seen a lot of comments like this lately. I haven't been to a home game in years, is it really that bad now? I'm a very loud, never sit down kinda fan and SAF sounds like you're watching a football game in church.

I was mocking really, I personally have never had this experience but there have been reports that the majority of the stadium is like that. I can't confirm it, but I personally think it's bull****.

mwill07
01-10-2014, 07:52 AM
It's a big industry, what part do you want to get in on? I work in manufacturing, we design and build custom cellar and brewhouse equipment.

If you want to get into brewing I think there are people on this board with a lot more expertise than I have. Brewer and BFDD, for example.

Then there's always sales, marketing, distribution, farming (hops, barley...etc), biology (yeast strains), packaging, maintenance... kind of a long list.

there's a lot of ways I could go. I'm a mechanical engineer so I could definitely get into designing brewhouse equipment, but I'm also a homebrewer working on upping my game.

my general plan right now is to keep on doing what i'm doing until my kids are out of the house (10-12 years from now), at which point I want to get into brewing full-time - or at least the brewing industry. I want the end of my professional career to be something more fun than what I'm doing now.

BroncoBeavis
01-10-2014, 08:14 AM
I was mocking really, I personally have never had this experience but there have been reports that the majority of the stadium is like that. I can't confirm it, but I personally think it's bull****.

It is 85% bull****. Not to say that there's zero difference from section to section. But I've sat in a fairly wide array of places over the last decade. And I stand and scream most of the time, especially on defense.

Only time I've ever had a less than great time was on Club level, and then another time a long time ago involving two Steelers fans and a black and gold flag. :)

Rabb
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
It is 85% bull****. Not to say that there's zero difference from section to section. But I've sat in a fairly wide array of places over the last decade. And I stand and scream most of the time, especially on defense.

Only time I've ever had a less than great time was on Club level, and then another time a long time ago involving two Steelers fans and a black and gold flag. :)

No question, no question at all that there are some fans that act that way. Club level just isn't worth it, and I hope that flag ended up elsewhere :wiggle:

JLesSPE
01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
there's a lot of ways I could go. I'm a mechanical engineer so I could definitely get into designing brewhouse equipment, but I'm also a homebrewer working on upping my game.

my general plan right now is to keep on doing what i'm doing until my kids are out of the house (10-12 years from now), at which point I want to get into brewing full-time - or at least the brewing industry. I want the end of my professional career to be something more fun than what I'm doing now.

It's interesting to me how many MEs are brewers. The head brewer at the last brewery project I worked on had a BS in Mechanical Engineering. It definitely makes me wonder what it would be like to work on the other side of things. My last semester AB was hiring a bunch of MEs right out of school to work as brewers in various locations across the country. I'm thankful I didn't get that job, I absolutely love what I'm doing now. Like you, I'd like to finish my career brewing...preferably for myself.

mwill07
01-10-2014, 11:08 AM
It's interesting to me how many MEs are brewers. The head brewer at the last brewery project I worked on had a BS in Mechanical Engineering. It definitely makes me wonder what it would be like to work on the other side of things. My last semester AB was hiring a bunch of MEs right out of school to work as brewers in various locations across the country. I'm thankful I didn't get that job, I absolutely love what I'm doing now. Like you, I'd like to finish my career brewing...preferably for myself.

ME is a very broad discipline. two topics that fall under the ME umbrella are heat transfer and fluid dynamics. Process control is closely related, if not purely mechanical.

outside of the chemistry, the entire wort production process is mechanical - flow through pipes, working with different types of pumps, heating/cooling, etc.

Unfortunately, this is not my area of expertise. I do mostly plastics and sheet-metal and only have vague memories of all of my fluids classes.