PDA

View Full Version : Elway starting to get Criticized

wolf754life
12-12-2013, 10:39 PM
NFL circles are now starting to talk about John Elway and his ability to not assemble a quality defense.

I'm told it is similar to the knock on Mike Shannahan

It looks like the Del Rio hire may have been a bad one, and the lack of depth on the defense is quite literally going to cost the broncos any shot at a superbowl

He is being roundly questioned on Paris Lenon, Omar Bolden, Sylvester Williams.

Rodgers Cromartie is a still a plus, but there is lots of skepticism about his ability to build a balanced roster.

bpc
12-12-2013, 10:43 PM
… and it's bull****. Trevathan has had a great year. Knighton, great year. Wolfe has been a great run defender. Von Miller has been great thus far in his career, outside of stupid off the field incidents. Shaun Phillips has been a great pickup. DRC, great pickup. Elway has done a good enough job, but nothing could have prepared this team for the injuries they've had. Been sorta unbelievable.

ZONA
12-12-2013, 10:44 PM
11-3 Elway should just say scoreboard bitches. Sure we lost this game and that sucks but it is what it is. We're still 11-3 and all the critics can suck Elway's dick right now.

TD4HOF
12-12-2013, 10:45 PM
Clady, Wolfe and Champ going lame in the preseason. Our best fatboy run defender. Our best safety. Wolfe nearly dying on a bus.

Not to mention the disruption of Fox's medical leave. Del Rio maybe lost a little focus on his real job?

wolf754life
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
i think he is also being penalized for the mile high expectations manning has brought, he knew this was part of the deal

he won't flinch, he is really on the clock next offseason

stoxman
12-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Many of us here certainly are. I liked the DRC, Pot Roast and Philips pickups but Stewart Bradley, Quentin Jammer and Paris Lenon sucked. He saw how bad our Db's were and didn't account for the decline of Champ to get more help at CB and just stood pat with Rahim "The Nightmare" and Mike Adams (fail). I know he pursued Woodson and was rebuffed but we needed more attention here.

If we go one and out again he deserves some blame after even allowing the Dumervil fiasco to go down to the wire like it did and having a team this far out of balance.

maven
12-12-2013, 10:48 PM
NFL circles are now starting to talk about John Elway and his ability to not assemble a quality defense.

Where did you hear this?

And how many negative threads do you plan to make this week? Thanks!

kappys
12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
If you think this defense is bad remember what we had under McD.

It is fair to say that most of Elways bad picks have been defensive ones. Boldin, Irving, possibly Sly(although I think he is actually progressing well the last 3 weeks and outside of the top 10 you rarely see DT's make an immediate impact). Nobody bat 100 in the draft and we have been quite unlucky with injuries. What would the defense have looked like if Quentin Carter and Rahim Moore were playing at 100%?

wolf754life
12-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Where did you hear this?

free country, or orange mane dictatorship? thanks!

Agamemnon
12-12-2013, 10:50 PM
My biggest criticism of Elway is that he hired John Fox. That's when our ceiling was permanently lowered just below greatness (read titles). Everything else is simply the natural result of that.

UberBroncoMan
We should have nabbed Kerry Rhodes and Karlos Dansby. Could have had both cheap. One is still out there too.

maven

So you have nothing, correct?

Ratboy
12-12-2013, 10:51 PM

It looks like the Del Rio hire may have been a bad one, and the lack of depth on the defense is quite literally going to cost the broncos any shot at a superbowl

Rodgers Cromartie is a still a plus, but there is lots of skepticism about his ability to build a balanced roster.

After 1 season with majority of the starters out?

You're so full of ****.

enjolras
12-12-2013, 10:51 PM
If you think this defense is bad remember what we had under McD.

This defense is every bit as bad, and probably much worse. I really don't think people are understanding exactly how bad our defensive problems are.

TD4HOF
12-12-2013, 10:52 PM
We should have nabbed Kerry Rhodes and Karlos Dansby. Could have had both cheap. One is still out there too.

No, men who kiss men aren't allowed in the NFL. Murderers, rapists and sociopathic bullies are ok. Get with it.

wolf754life
12-12-2013, 10:53 PM
just listen and watch the reports, this was an NFL network game, lots of league insiders in town tonight, lots of mingling about, lots of talk, 6 degrees of separation.

lets just put it this way, elway will not be getting anywhere near the kudos as he was last season and now the league is very skeptical of his roster building....

maven
12-12-2013, 10:54 PM
just listen and watch the reports, this was an NFL network game, lots of league insiders in town tonight, lots of mingling about, lots of talk, 6 degrees of separation.

lets just put it this way, elway will not be getting anywhere near the kudos as he was last season and now the league is very skeptical of his roster building....

So you are making sh1t up, correct?

wolf754life
12-12-2013, 10:55 PM
So you are making sh1t up, correct?

ugh

TD4HOF
*sniff sniff* I love the smell of a good lynch mob in the wee hours. Elway Fanantics, Unite!

phisig150
When his whole Dfense actually plays together one snap then I'll judge. Champ out almost whole year. Miller almost half the year. Rahim out. Wolfe out. Vickerson out. Woodyard was banged up. Am I'm missing anyone?

TD4HOF
12-12-2013, 10:56 PM
When his whole Dfense actually plays together one snap then I'll judge. Champ out almost whole year. Miller almost half the year. Rahim out. Wolfe out. Vickerson out. Woodyard was banged up. Am I'm missing anyone?

Woodyard hasn't been the same since his owwie, too.

phisig150
12-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah DRC. But other than half our D and let's not forget half our Oline and head coach for Christ Sake we've been relatively healthy.

stoxman
12-12-2013, 11:00 PM

Dansby was a no brainer--I made a thread here a few yrs ago saying we should trade for him from Miami who was horrible and may have wanted draft picks.

I also thought Lavonte David would be superior at a need position for a team making a run than Osweiler to sit the bench or even Wolfe. He is a top flight LB right now.

Sigh.

theAPAOps5
12-12-2013, 11:02 PM
A Broncos loss is Wolf's favorite thing. Coward doesn't show up until it happens and then just loves it.

Ratboy
12-12-2013, 11:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t7MqXlQ.jpg

R8R H8R
12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Where did you hear this?

In his head. If anyone is a fraud (another thread ref.), it is wolf and his supposed inside information. He's got voices in his head and trots it out as info.

Ratboy
12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
A Broncos loss is Wolf's favorite thing. Coward doesn't show up until it happens and then just loves it.

Yep. Take anything he says as a fact with a grain of salt.

Chrissy Rules
12-12-2013, 11:07 PM
just curious are you saying its time to give up ? All year long no all of Peytons pro career people these sports jerks jump off and on his bus nothing knew they ve done it to Denver all year I guess where my confusion is coming in at is from training camp didn't Fox Elway all of em say its basically ITS SUPERBOWL OR BUST I even remember one of the players twitting he guaranteed a SuperBowl win this year so my next question is do the Denver Broncos have the heart I don't think its so much of the playing ability cause we see they can win I JUST DONT SEE HOW THEY ELWAY FOX ETC CAN SAY ALL OF THIS ABOUT THE SUPERBOWL AND REALLY NOT WIN IT ALL can anyone explain this to me cause I STILL HAVE FAITH IN EM last year I know a lot of people will disagree with me but im solely convinced that it was handed to the Ravens

stoxman
12-12-2013, 11:10 PM
Woodyard hasn't been the same since his owwie, too.

Meh, can't just blame injuries. Every team has injuries. Even with all those guys healthy I still don't think we are a top flight DEF. Even when we had Vick healthy with all of our DLine together with Von we were not getting a big push and pressuring the QB all that much. Our Db's were routinely getting toasted with Champ and Rahim playing.

Out of the entire DEF...these are the only guys I care to have on this team:

DL: Philips, Vick, Pot Roast, Malik and Wolfe (backup), Sly (3rd string as rookie--he isn't ready yet) we need more here
LB: Trevathan, Woodyard (backup WLB), Von (lose some weight man)
DB: Harris (3rd/Slot) and DRC (Webster is #5 at best as a rookie--hope he gets better next year)
S: Bruton (ST ace 3rd string on depth chart), Adams is ok for a backup only and Rahim I don't like but if he's a backup and not a starter I'm ok with it.

Everyone else can go. Bring on Larentee McCray and see if Steven Johnson takes another step forward and Quinton can come back from IR.

cutthemdown
12-12-2013, 11:12 PM
No doubt about the fact the defense stinks.

Ol#7
12-12-2013, 11:45 PM
This is what happens when you draft your kids pal instead of a needed LB and reach big time on a CB. Not like this hasnt been pointed out before. People talked themselved into both picks. The worst part is these were also glaring positions of need.

Despite what Action thinks, McD left this team in shambles. We were not very good the Tebow playoff year, but the amount of time of posession we controlled convinced people our D was somehow the backbone and a strength.

bowtown
12-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Looks like someone just purchased the fireelway.com domain.

IA-Broncosfan53
12-13-2013, 12:14 AM
In a "win now" mode you dont trade out of the first round to draft a defensive lineman, only to follow up the next year in the first round a draft another defensive lineman with a solid prospect MLB available (Ogletree).

fontaine
12-13-2013, 01:32 AM
wolf-no-life is a known a$$clown who really only comes out when Denver loses and he has something negative to say.

He gets off on this stuff.

Durango
12-13-2013, 01:38 AM

I watched just about every post-game, Denver sports, ESPN, Fox Sports and internet show I could find and didn't hear anything remotely like this.

Do you have a link? A name of the analyst? The network? Anything?

Taco John
12-13-2013, 01:39 AM
Yeah, in his third year of taking this team from 4-12, Elway hasn't produced the '85 Chicago Bears.

55CrushEm
12-13-2013, 03:36 AM

Yeah, sure.......translation: Wolf making **** up again.

Quoydogs
12-13-2013, 03:58 AM
11-3 Elway should just say scoreboard b****es. Sure we lost this game and that sucks but it is what it is. We're still 11-3 and all the critics can suck Elway's dick right now.

Yep this gets my vote

DivineLegion
12-13-2013, 04:48 AM

Free to lie your ass off to force your agenda. Yup Sam its working! You just blatantly lied, got called on it, and pulled the freedom of speech card? Dude, get out of here.

Tom A Hawk
12-13-2013, 05:17 AM
wow, you lose one game to a team like the Chargers and some of you are ready to jump off of a cliff.

That's crazy. Your team deserves better fans. The team has had a pretty good year and is play off bound.

whiners.

errand
12-13-2013, 05:27 AM
LOL nice try douchebag

This guy is claiming a VP whose team is 11-3 with a plethora of injuries is being likened to a former Broncos coach who has lost control of his 3-10 team.....gotta love the OM!

DivineLegion
12-13-2013, 05:44 AM
LOL nice try douchebag

This guy is claiming a VP whose team is 11-3 with a plethora of injuries is being likened to a former Broncos coach who has lost control of his 3-10 team.....gotta love the OM!

He's always been a troll.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2013, 05:54 AM
ugh

Trolling at it's finest. You're making it up

Thanks for letting this dick continuously **** over the board

B-Large
12-13-2013, 06:09 AM

That's completely unfounded. He had an excellent FA on Defense, and we just can't help the fact guys have been hurt and lost key pieces on the Defensive front.

I think it comes down to coaching. That Defense look confused and very unprepared lasyt night, that is not Elways doing, that is JDR.

stoxman
12-13-2013, 06:28 AM
In a "win now" mode you dont trade out of the first round to draft a defensive lineman, only to follow up the next year in the first round a draft another defensive lineman with a solid prospect MLB available (Ogletree).

Correct.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2013, 06:30 AM
Jesus Christ he took over a 4-12 team and made three straight playoffs and you're nitpicking over a few moves he missed on

Unreal

FRCDFED
12-13-2013, 07:00 AM

Bronco fans need to accept the same reality that Indy had to while Peyton was the QB. One player does not win championships in FB. When one player takes up 20 percent of the salary cap then the team has to sacrifice talent at other positions. Fivehead will win some football games for you guys, get Denver into the playoffs, and possibly win a playoff game. However, history has proven that defense wins championships while offense breaks records. I cannot remember a team that relied so much on offense that actually won a championship. The Marino led Dolphins is probably the best comparison and they fell short.

manchambo
12-13-2013, 07:06 AM

Why don't you answer the question about the "nfl circle" you're referring to? Because I'm pretty sure the only circle you're privy to is of the jerk variety.

stoxman
12-13-2013, 07:07 AM
Jesus Christ he took over a 4-12 team and made three straight playoffs and you're nitpicking over a few moves he missed on

Unreal

I know there have been a lot of people asking where would this team be without Manning. Up until recently I still thought we were a pretty good team (maybe .500 or slightly better) with a decent QB (maybe Brock is going to be worthy of the high pick invested in him).

NOW...I think we are probably worse than a .500 ball club without PFM. He is just that good and our DEF, ST and coaching has been exposed.

So, maybe it is similar to Shanahan who I among many others believe that Elway and TD made him look smarter than he was at GM/coach. It also wasn't a SB caliber team until we brought in some DEF help in Alfred Williams and Neil Smith to bring the pressure that may have helped average at best players like Tyrone Braxton play better.

Could it be that PFM is the reason Elway is so widely regarded around the league as a "great" GM? That was a masterful signing and he deserves all the kudos for bringing Peyton here. If you are going to build a Championship team you need a QB leader. But it is fair to look deeper at this roster and see all the holes on defense (at every position DL, LB, DB and S) and he rightly deserves some blame for having what appears to be a bottom 5 or 10 defense. They just aren't that good and will most likely prevent a Super Bowl victory for us.

Hulamau
12-13-2013, 07:08 AM

Freedom goes both ways Wolf and its a fair question, you started this tread with a comment as if you had a number of 'NFL circles' making these complaints .. Okay, fair enough, let's see them!! Unless those 'NFL Circles' are just a couple of neurons rolling around inside your noggin!? :-)

FRCDFED
12-13-2013, 07:12 AM
I know there have been a lot of people asking where would this team be without Manning. Up until recently I still thought we were a pretty good team (maybe .500 or slightly better) with a decent QB (maybe Brock is going to be worthy of the high pick invested in him).

NOW...I think we are probably worse than a .500 ball club without PFM. He is just that good and our DEF, ST and coaching has been exposed.

So, maybe it is similar to Shanahan who I among many others believe that Elway and TD made him look smarter than he was at GM/coach. It also wasn't a SB caliber team until we brought in some DEF help in Alfred Williams and Neil Smith to bring the pressure that may have helped average at best players like Tyrone Braxton play better.

Could it be that PFM is the reason Elway is so widely regarded around the league as a "great" GM? That was a masterful signing and he deserves all the kudos for bringing Peyton here. If you are going to build a Championship team you need a QB leader. But it is fair to look deeper at this roster and see all the holes on defense (at every position DL, LB, DB and S) and he rightly deserves some blame for having what appears to be a bottom 5 or 10 defense. They just aren't that good and will most likely prevent a Super Bowl victory for us.

Bringing PM to Denver was a smart move that has obviously translated into wins. However, it would have only been considered a MASTERFUL move if he could've done so while convincing fivehead to sign for a significantly lower cap number to help the team. Specifically, your defense. Something in the range of Tom Brady money. Fivehead wouldn't/didn't do that so he and Elway should both shoulder the blame equally when Denver falls short of a championship.

Kaylore
12-13-2013, 07:13 AM
Yeah, in his third year of taking this team from 4-12, Elway hasn't produced the '85 Chicago Bears.

Instead he's produced an offense that is better than the 1999 Rams.

And I was going to say before it was pointed out - the criticism against Elway Wolf is hearing is from Wolf.

HorseHead
12-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I can't believe I am dignifying this thread. But screw it, it will allow me to waste valuable company time on a Friday.

We get a couple of days to heal up. Get our boo-boo's some treatment, etc., the guys get to hang with their families a bit.

We have two extremely winnable games to get back on track, and I would be hard pressed to think the 'Pats are gonna run the table. Matter of fact, I could see them not only losing to the 'Phins but to the Ravens as well. I know, we can't rely on other teams to take care of our sh-t, but this is a very plausible scenario. Just breathe my bruthas and sistas...

stoxman
12-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Bringing PM to Denver was a smart move that has obviously translated into wins. However, it would have only been considered a MASTERFUL move if he could've done so while convincing fivehead to sign for a significantly lower cap number to help the team. Specifically, your defense. Something in the range of Tom Brady money. Fivehead wouldn't/didn't do that so he and Elway should both shoulder the blame equally when Denver falls short of a championship.

That's a fair point. Hard to blame PFM though--he is the biggest reason we at least have a well above .500 record. Just sucks when you win 13 games and can't get it done when in counts in Jan/Feb.

Hulamau
12-13-2013, 07:19 AM
ugh

Seriously Wolf754life, you're being called out as dishonest here dude and with your history of negativity we'd hope you can at least support your claims.

You said NFL Circles are starting to criticism Elway before this game was even 10 minutes old! That's fine but let's see it in print or if this is all just a jerk off then better to just disappear . You also make reference to 'I'm told this is similar to Shanahan ...' as if you have the ears of NFL insiders, that's cool, why not elaborate and restore your believability here?

FRCDFED
12-13-2013, 07:25 AM
That's a fair point. Hard to blame PFM though--he is the biggest reason we at least have a well above .500 record. Just sucks when you win 13 games and can't get it done when in counts in Jan/Feb.

He has definately managed to put up record breaking numbers on offense this season. Just like everything else, NFL defenses will eventually figure it out and come calling. Even the undefeated Brady led Patriots met their match in the SB.

HILife
12-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Link or it never happened. I've heard nothing about this, and Elway has done a good job. Made some good signings, made some bad signings, it's the nature of the beast. No one gets it right 100% of the time, 100% of the time. **** happens, it's just how it is.

Meck77
12-13-2013, 07:36 AM
And the Omane sheep fall for the wolfs troll trap again....

Hey wolf here's an idea. Go **** yourself troll.

Tombstone RJ
12-13-2013, 07:38 AM
My biggest criticism of Elway is that he hired John Fox. That's when our ceiling was permanently lowered just below greatness (read titles). Everything else is simply the natural result of that.

lol at how stupid this post is.

NFLBRONCO
12-13-2013, 07:38 AM

It was either Fox or Dennison hardly exciting choices

NFLBRONCO
12-13-2013, 07:44 AM

Unreal

No doubt

fontaine
12-13-2013, 09:43 AM

It looks like the Del Rio hire may have been a bad one, and the lack of depth on the defense is quite literally going to cost the broncos any shot at a superbowl.

That's so cute.

Both Ag/Wolfe are in sync with their monthly cycles.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-13-2013, 09:59 AM
He has definately managed to put up record breaking numbers on offense this season. Just like everything else, NFL defenses will eventually figure it out and come calling. Even the undefeated Brady led Patriots met their match in the SB.

Is this some KC fan asshole?

How can anyone criticize Elway for bringing in manning. WEVE BEEN WINNING!

broncocalijohn
12-13-2013, 10:05 AM

Show us some links and don't be Luigi giving us your opinion. I just finished watching the game so wasn't here last night. I am sure you trolled hardcore during and after the game since you had only 2 posts since in the last few weeks.

broncocalijohn
12-13-2013, 10:06 AM
It was either Fox or Dennison hardly exciting choices

Could have been Ron Rivera.

ColoradoDarin
12-13-2013, 10:36 AM
This message is hidden because wolf754life is a big of a troll as SoCal.

55CrushEm
12-13-2013, 10:37 AM
This message is hidden because wolf754life is a big, stinky doodoo head.

FYP

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Maybe he should get the talking circles even more talkative and bring in ****ing Kerry Rhodes.

Wes Mantooth
12-13-2013, 10:40 AM
is there a team that has near the record we have this year that has had as much roster turnover as us?

Finger Roll
12-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Most teams now days play crappy defense. I probably have watched more NFL games than just about anybody this season and only about 4 teams have a defense that doesn't suck.

Gutless Drunk
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
is there a team that has near the record we have this year that has had as much roster turnover as us?

Yes, as much as I hate them, the Patriots have probably been hit worse.

broncocalijohn
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Still waiting on mods to force Wolf to provide proof of "NFL inside circles" or ban his ass.

Doesn't it seem that TJ might have told mods that these type of trolls are good for the Mane for advertising purposes? I would have no idea what these types of lying threads makes the Mane look good to the fans out there.

CHEF LUIGI
12-13-2013, 11:10 AM
bringing PFM to denver , AT THE VERY LEAST, provided JFE with an exit strategy for the TEBOW CIRCUS!!
that alone was worth the move
PFM has been great, and JFE has been oustanding in creating a contender from the rubble left in the wake of JMCD !

KCStud
12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Aside from having a lay up draft pick (Von Miller) in potentially the best top heavy draft in NFL history and picking up a QB with money, what else has Elway done?

You're going to find out just how good Elway's GM skills are in a year or two when Manning hangs em up. The Broncos wouldn't even be at .500 with an average QB right now.

stoxman
12-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Aside from having a lay up draft pick (Von Miller) in potentially the best top heavy draft in NFL history and picking up a QB with money, what else has Elway done?

You're going to find out just how good Elway's GM skills are in a year or two when Manning hangs em up. The Broncos wouldn't even be at .500 with an average QB right now.

Until last night I might have argued with you but now you are correct (earlier today I even posted that we probably aren't a .500 team without PFM).

Elway was one of the most competitive players to ever play the game (or any game for that matter) so I truly like him in the front office. We will see what he is made of for sure.

Meck77
12-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Still waiting on mods to force Wolf to provide proof of "NFL inside circles" or ban his ass.

Doesn't it seem that TJ might have told mods that these type of trolls are good for the Mane for advertising purposes? I would have no idea what these types of lying threads makes the Mane look good to the fans out there.

Official Omane Troll shirts coming out soon. Pre order now!

broncocalijohn
12-13-2013, 11:47 AM

Not too many teams are over .500 with an average to below average QB. We were the worst team just a few years ago. Just look at your team. Do you think Cassel takes this team to the playoffs like Alex Smith will be doing?

Plus, we got Manning with a lower bid than other teams (and I am sure your Chiefs would have offered more than Denver). Elway had faith that his surgery was a success and Manning would have no issues with it. You, the armchair GM, thought Manning wouldn't be his old self because of the injuries and guess who was correct? Elway was a major factor in the decision for Manning to get here and get us to probably the division title....again.

BroncoBuff
04-18-2014, 10:56 PM

It looks like the Del Rio hire may have been a bad one

Moron-worthy post, and in true moronic fashion, you also quote morons.

The following is all the data needed to debunk such moronical non-sensicalities:

Denver Broncos

Year / Regime . .Record . .Def.-Yds . .Def.-Pts
.2010 - Josh . . ..4-12 a . .. 32nd . . . .32nd aa
.2011 -Elway ... .8-8. b . . .24th . . . ..20th
.2012 -Elway .. .13-3 c . . . 4th . . . . . 2nd
.2013 -Elway .. .13-3 d . . ,22nd . . . . 19th e

.a - Worst record in franchise history
aa - Defense last in both yds + pts allowed
.b - Division Champs, Playoff win
. . ..Defense makes quantum improvement
.c - Division Champs, Top 3 defense overall
.d - Reach SB, rock solid D thru playoffs
.e - Lost two 2012 All-Pros for season (Champ, Von),
. . ..Lost 3 starters mid-year (Wolfe,Moore,Woodyard)

I won't even address your insipid Del Rio statement ... except to say JDR was team's 2nd best acquisition in 2012.

BroncoBuff
04-18-2014, 10:58 PM
Oh, just noticed this thread was Butt-ed while I was writing my response.

Good job, modz :thumbs:

theAPAOps5
04-19-2014, 06:10 AM
So yeah...... Just throwing this out there. But you are responding to a thread from 5 months ago! :)

nyuk nyuk
04-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Who is this troll? Did you see the Denver defense before Elway took over?