PDA

View Full Version : OT: Thinking of moving, Denver is one city I'm considering!

ro_50
12-04-2013, 07:50 AM
Hello fellow Orangemaners!

Its Ro_50. Its been a long, long time since I've posted on here but I do come here often and check out the posts.

I had a question that was not sports related.

I'm contemplating moving away from New Jersey (been here 7 years) and want to make one final move before settling down in a new city.

I like NJ but I want a change and go somewhere fresh and make a new start for myself.

I'm looking to move by 2015 and the cities I've considered have been Chicago (a city which I love and been there nearly 15 times), Seattle and Denver.

I'm posting this because I've never been to Denver and don't know much about the area (other than what I've read about). I have friends who live near Littleton and thinking about visiting next year sometime to get a feel for the city.

I just wanted to know for a single 34-year old guy who wouldn't want to live in the city but in the suburbs (want to settle down eventually and have a family), how is the job market out there in general and cost of living?

I venture it's not cheap but its not as expensive as New Jersey.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Rabb
12-04-2013, 08:02 AM
paging whoever Mighty Smurf is now, whoever Mighty Smurf is now please pick up a white courtesy phone...

HorseHead
12-04-2013, 08:08 AM
Seattle > Denver, Chicago..

Don't get me wrong, all three are great cities. Chicago is awesome, as is Denver. I think Seattle is the place to go west young man...

Beantown Bronco
12-04-2013, 08:10 AM
How long before OBF1 comes in here and cries about the OT thread on the main page?

TonyR
12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Coincidentally, I grew up in the Littleton/Columbine area and had to move to NJ with my parents just before starting high school. I ended up staying in this area due primarily to landing a job here after graduating from college. My parents are back in CO so I still come out there occasionally. Denver has changed a lot since I moved away but I still love it and would recommend to anyone. I particularly love the Denver climate compared to this area. One thing that will be jarring for you is how lush and green everything is here in the summer, and how dry, barren and brown Denver and surrounding areas are by comparison. About the only "negative" I can think of, really. That and not being close to the shore, and big cities like Philly, Baltimore, NY, and DC, if you care about those things.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Come out here to Carmel. There's a house down the street from me in the beginning of pebble beach about to go on the market again. Only 79 million.

http://priceypads.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Aerial.jpg

Irish Stout
12-04-2013, 08:46 AM
If you love Chicago, check out Denver. Its not similar in any respect, but I have found a lot of people who love Chicago love Denver.

Seattle is awesome. I take the Seattle or Denver weather any day over Chicago. I cannot stand wind and humidity in the winter.

Really depends on whats important to you and where you can get a decent job though. You'll be able to settle down in the burbs anywhere… the big question you want to know is what is easily accessible to those burbs. Mountains, water, weather, sports teams, entertainment?

ColoradoDarin
12-04-2013, 08:52 AM
If you want grey clouds and drizzly rain weather for 7 months without a break then move to Seattle! In Oregon, I never adjusted to that (5-6 months of the same 42 degrees for the high and the low with a light rain and full cloud cover), but the summers were awesome.

Meck77
12-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Visited Seattle a few times. I concur with ColoradoDarin. The lack of sun drives me nuts after a few days. Cool area though for sure.

There are still screaming deals in the front range. Market has gotten a bit soft lately. Rates are still killer. I'm not in the rate predicting business but pretty obvious they are going to be tightened by the fed over the next few years.

If you have the ability I would buy a fixer upper now and rent it. Rentals are EXTREMELY tight. Toss is some fresh paint and rental grade carpet and cash flow it til 2015, rip out all the carpet and Customize it how you want in 2015.

You'd be up 50k or more.

I have associates who can help you buy and even manage it for you. Same for anyone else. I've been busy the last few years doing some renovations of my own but have time to help some others again.

Ratboy
12-04-2013, 09:04 AM
I visited Denver for the first time in during Week 3.

The air is really dry. That's probably the biggest downside to my 4 day visit to Denver. I really wish I could have taken the time to drive into the mountains, but I slacked a bit.

The rest seemed like every other place in America.

broncocalijohn
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Its Ro_50.

Thank you for clarifing this point. For a minute there, we might have thought someone hacked your account.

I think you are in trouble. Sounds like a place for Maniac area but ask OF1 for his thoughts on this.

I'm contemplating moving away from New Jersey (been here 7 years) and want to make one final move before settling down in a new city.

Ok, what is it? You want to move away from NJ but seems you are looking for a city to live in for a final move before deciding to live in a new city. So what non new city are you moving to ?

I like NJ but I want a change and go somewhere fresh and make a new start for myself.

Finally! To this California, NJ people are weird. Yes, a SoCaler just called out NJ.

I'm looking to move by 2015 and the cities I've considered have been Chicago (a city which I love and been there nearly 15 times), Seattle and Denver.

So choices are before your choice of depressing Seattle, windy Chicago or Cow town Denver?

I'm posting this because I've never been to Denver and don't know much about the area (other than what I've read about). I have friends who live near Littleton and thinking about visiting next year sometime to get a feel for the city.

Oh ****! Asking Maners about life decisions might be not be a good choice. Did you read the thread on Myrtle Beach? Some really bad opinions that turned out to be horribly wrong.

I just wanted to know for a single 34-year old guy who wouldn't want to live in the city but in the suburbs (want to settle down eventually and have a family), how is the job market out there in general and cost of living?

34 and single? You are gay. Boulder or Florence might be a better choice.

Aqua Net? Probably not found in cases at Costco but it is all about supply and demand.

Prepare your anus

Thanks!

See bold and good luck!

enjolras
12-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Why would you want the expense of a place like Denver, Chicago, or Seattle? If you want to live in a ****ty suburb there are lots of better places to do it. Watching the miles of traffic jams this morning on TV drives that point home.

The actual city of Denver, on the other hand, is amazing. Walkable, vibrant, and varied. It's my favorite place on earth and it's why my wife and I choose to make our family home here.

Peoples Champ
12-04-2013, 09:23 AM
if your going just on weather, i would say denver is the best. I think it might be the most bang for your buck in cost of living as well. Seattle and Chicago are higher (you can google cost of living in top cities and see what ranks higher).

As for being single, all 3 cities have hot girls and plenty of nightlife.

TonyR
12-04-2013, 09:27 AM
The air is really dry.

This is another "negative" I failed to mention in my previous post. It it an adjustment for people coming from more humid climates.

CHEF LUIGI
12-04-2013, 09:32 AM
single 34/ check out LODO, you wont need a car or consider Portland if you can deal with the NW weather.
If you love sports, Denver is your town. if , if you only like football, seattle can get your fix for half the year...
I live in scottsdale, the greatest place on earth when its not june, july or august.

Brewer
12-04-2013, 09:39 AM
See bold and good luck!

Nice- a dude from Orange County making fun of Denver? Ha ha ha ha! Orange County! Other than the fact that it shares a name with one of the Broncos' most important colors, it's a **** hole. Honestly.

Ok, as far as a Jersey boy moving to Colorado, we're full. There's no room here. And you Californians can stay in California. This is Colorado. If you do end up disobeying me and come here from California, DO NOT bitch about how this is not California. We know. That's why we live here. If you don't like it then hurry back to Cali. :peace: Seriously, though, there are people from all over the world living in Colorado and that's cool in a lot of ways. What's not cool is when they start to whine about all of the things they miss about where they came from. Shut up about it, you chose to move to Colorado. I don't care about how great it was where you used to live. Instead of jacking your jaws about it just pack your ****e and move back. That is all.:welcome:

broncocalijohn
12-04-2013, 09:42 AM
^^^ nice rant. You really think Denver is still considered a Cow Town? Roll with the post. Had to be negative about all 3 cities. I could have said about Chicago that "Broncosteven lives there"

I actually love Denver...when I am not in awesome OC.

OC= ****hole. Comments made by those who can't afford it :)

DHallblows
12-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Dry air is a negative? Come back to me when it's 100 degrees in July or -5 in January and tell me how you wish there was more moisture in the air ::) People are crazy.

bronco militia
12-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Dry air is a negative? Come back to me when it's 100 degrees in July or -5 in January and tell me how you wish there was more moisture in the air ::) People are crazy.

FINE WITH ME...WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE ASSHOLES MOVING HERE

GTFO :approve:

Powderaddict
12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Colorado sucks. Probably should move somewhere nicer.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
Nice- a dude from Orange County making fun of Denver? Ha ha ha ha! Orange County! Other than the fact that it shares a name with one of the Broncos' most important colors, it's a **** hole. Honestly.

Ok, as far as a Jersey boy moving to Colorado, we're full. There's no room here. And you Californians can stay in California. This is Colorado. If you do end up disobeying me and come here from California, DO NOT b**** about how this is not California. We know. That's why we live here. If you don't like it then hurry back to Cali. :peace: Seriously, though, there are people from all over the world living in Colorado and that's cool in a lot of ways. What's not cool is when they start to whine about all of the things they miss about where they came from. Shut up about it, you chose to move to Colorado. I don't care about how great it was where you used to live. Instead of jacking your jaws about it just pack your ****e and move back. That is all.:welcome:

Sounds like you're bitter about Cali. No need to miss or migrate to the Midwest, I can handle the expenses of living here.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Why would you want the expense of a place like Denver, Chicago, or Seattle? If you want to live in a ****ty suburb there are lots of better places to do it. Watching the miles of traffic jams this morning on TV drives that point home.

The actual city of Denver, on the other hand, is amazing. Walkable, vibrant, and varied. It's my favorite place on earth and it's why my wife and I choose to make our family home here.

Truth. If you want suburbs, move to Houston, where it is one large suburban orgy at about half the cost and twice the salary.

Denver has some great neighborhoods that have that city neighborhood feel, yet are safe, have great dinning, walkable and your food choices aren't limited to TGI Friday's and Chili's.

Great city to live in if you have to live in an urban area.

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-04-2013, 10:32 AM

100 degrees with moisture sounds worse. Sweat the second you get out of the shower.

Mogulseeker
12-04-2013, 10:36 AM
paging whoever Mighty Smurf is now, whoever Mighty Smurf is now please pick up a white courtesy phone...

Nah, Denver is the place to be.

Rabb
12-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Nah, Denver is the place to be.

Totally agree, I just thought you'd have some insight to offer.

bronco militia
12-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Truth. If you want suburbs, move to Houston, where it is one large suburban orgy at about half the cost and twice the salary.

Denver has some great neighborhoods that have that city neighborhood feel, yet are safe, have great dinning, walkable and your food choices aren't limited to TGI Friday's and Chili's.

Great city to live in if you have to live in an urban area.

HOUSTON???? ****ING HOUSTON? LOL is this Rock Chalk???Ha!

half the cost and twice the salary. you get what you pay for Ha!

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I only quickly scanned the responses. But before we devote real analytical discussion I need two things answered.

1.) Are you chasing some poon that could very well be growing your child inside of her? If you think you can say yes, but also have doubts, then say that. It is very important to consider.

2.) If you were to shack up with a chick here in Denver (lets pretend it is a girl you followed), what do you do when a dude roommate is added to the equation and he ends up putting his peepee in her weewee. Do you let him kick your ass in your own home?

I am very excited to assist you in this decision making process, but my input will be mostly superficial until I know the answers to these two simple questions.

crush17
12-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Thanks!

To answer your main question, the suburbs of Denver are all very nice. Littleton isn't exactly my favorite area, but there are parts of it that are decent.

Personally, I like the areas of Westminster, Broomfield, Arvada, and Thornton more for "suburbs". Highlands Ranch is much further south than Littleton, but it is ideal for "suburbs". You may also want to consider Parker.

I would stay away from Aurora if you can, but again there are some decent areas in that city as well.

The job market here in Denver is alive and well. Depending on what kind of work you are looking for, I may even be able to help direct you to some companies that are hiring.

Cost of living is probably middle of the road compared to other cities. Denver's housing market and rental market has exploded this past year again, and it's only growing. Colorado has been one of the states to rebound most quickly from the housing crisis and economy issues.

If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a private message so that you can avoid most of these yahoo's responding here. I'll give you straight answers.

I've lived in CO my entire life and I couldn't imagine being happier anywhere else. I've been to all the big cities in the country pretty much, and there's really nowhere like Denver! ;D

TonyR
12-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Dry air is a negative?

No, not necessarily. A blessing on hot days, to be sure. My point was that it's an adjustment for people coming from more humid climates. Dry skin, dry nasal passages, etc. If you've ever had to make the adjustment believe me you'd understand. Overall I prefer the dry climate, but it does have downsides.

crush17
12-04-2013, 10:43 AM
No, not necessarily. A blessing on hot days, to be sure. My point was that it's an adjustment for people coming from more humid climates. Dry skin, dry nasal passages, etc. If you've ever had to make the adjustment believe me you'd understand. Overall I prefer the dry climate, but it does have downsides.

It's really easy to combat, just buy a humidifier for when you sleep. Does wonders.

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Its Ro_50. Its been a long, long time since I've posted on here but I do come here often and check out the posts.

Thanks!

just what the west needs, another moron from the east coast. Hey, bring your stupid gun laws with you because, yah know, you're leaving a place you love soooo damn much because it sucks so of course you want to bring your idiocy with you out west right?

just remember why you are leaving the east coast and don't bring your baggage with you.

DHallblows
12-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Yeah, what the idiot said

OBF1
12-04-2013, 11:05 AM
Used to live in Denver for years, but it is not the same place it used to be, not even close. It has become a lot more like California with its politics and such which is the worst part of California beside traffic, high costs, over population and gang issues (Which Colorado now has its own serious issues with)

Seattle as mentioned has the wet weather issues and a drug culture like no other except for maybe Alaska. Chicago is like to parts of Jersey but colder in the winter and a real big city.

Why is it that you want to leave Jersey excluding being associated with Jersey shore?

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah, what the idiot said

ROFL!

sorry for the rant...

crush17
12-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Used to live in Denver for years, but it is not the same place it used to be, not even close. It has become a lot more like California with its politics and such which is the worst part of California beside traffic, high costs, over population and gang issues (Which Colorado now has its own serious issues with)

Seattle as mentioned has the wet weather issues and a drug culture like no other except for maybe Alaska. Chicago is like to parts of Jersey but colder in the winter and a real big city.

Why is it that you want to leave Jersey excluding being associated with Jersey shore?

You are basically saying the entire state of Colorado is like this. You are wrong. The city of Denver does have some issues with gang related activity lately. Honestly, I wouldn't consider it to be any worse that it's been for the past 10 years right now and I live in one of the neighborhoods that is considered to have a higher crime rate than the rest of the city (5 Points/Curtis Park).

I live there because it is quickly becoming the new Highlands, and the RINO (River North) district is simply exploding with incredible galleries, restaurants, and breweries. (TIP to anyone considering moving to the city of Denver - get a place near RINO now before it gets any bigger!)

Other cities, like the suburbs I mentioned earlier, do not have these problems. It is mostly centralized in the city of Denver.

To the OP - you may also want to consider Fort Collins. Personally, that is my favorite city/area in all of Colorado (grew up there). It is 60 miles north of Denver, a 1 hour drive without traffic. Look into it, you won't regret it.

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2013, 11:13 AM

it's really a sad place to live now IMHO and it's things like traffic and rocketing real estate prices that have really made a great place to live and stressful place to live.

crush17
12-04-2013, 11:15 AM
it's really a sad place to live now IMHO and it's things like traffic and rocketing real estate prices that have really made a great place to live and stressful place to live.

What part of Denver do you live in, Tombstone??

ohhh, you don't.

I love how all these people claim to know what they are talking about when they don't even live in the city or state at all.

OBF1
12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
You are basically saying the entire state of Colorado is like this. You are wrong. The city of Denver does have some issues with gang related activity lately. Honestly, I wouldn't consider it to be any worse that it's been for the past 10 years right now.

Other cities, like the suburbs I mentioned earlier, do not have these problems. It is mostly centralized in the city of Denver.

To the OP - you may also want to consider Fort Collins. Personally, that is my favorite city/area in all of Colorado (grew up there). It is 60 miles north of Denver, a 1 hour drive without traffic. Look into it, you won't regret it.

I never said the entire state is like that, Gang issues are mostly but not isolated to Denver and Aurora areas. But do not kid yourself for a moment that those are the only areas that have gang related issues. I have no idea of your age or how long you have lived in Colorado/ Denver but let me tell you it is not the same city that it used to be.

crush17
12-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I am 34 and I've lived in Colorado my entire life, and in Denver for over 10 years.

Rabb
12-04-2013, 11:19 AM
I grew up in Aurora (Aurora Central High School...fun) and now live in Highlands Ranch. Talk about easy mode, I'm white and I can't get used to all the white people still.

enjolras
12-04-2013, 11:21 AM
You are basically saying the entire state of Colorado is like this. You are wrong. The city of Denver does have some issues with gang related activity lately. Honestly, I wouldn't consider it to be any worse that it's been for the past 10 years right now.

First of all, the bulk of the issues right now are in northern Aurora. There is no part of central Denver that I'm not comfortable in. My wife and I have lived in the city for the last 7 years. Outside of the occasional annoying homeless person, we haven't had a single moment of feeling unsafe. Not a single one.

Hell we're currently building a home in five points. It's an unbelievably safe city.

Ft. Collins is definitely awesome. If you're looking for that lifestyle, that's a fantastic place to be.

We just don't need another Suburbanite putting yet another car on the road in Denver. We're a better city than that. There are PLENTY of happy families being raised in the city.

ZONA
12-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Seattle is extremely beautiful but if you do go there, be forewarned that a mega quake is coming to that area and very soon. The city is already going through the planning of this. The Northwest (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver) doesn't shake nearly as often as Cali does but when it does shake, they say it's 60 times more powerful then the quake that leveled San Francisco. It's called a "megaquake". There's a ton of stuff on the web about this event. A high chance it's going to be a 9.0 monster that will shake for 4 to 5 minutes. Odds are 1 in 3 it happens it the next 50 years.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020525702_earthquakerecoveryxml.html

http://www.livescience.com/6513-odds-1-3-northwest-mega-quake-50-years.html

http://seattletimes.com/ABPub/2009/11/16/2010284271.gif

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2013, 11:46 AM
What part of Denver do you live in, Tombstone??

ohhh, you don't.

I love how all these people claim to know what they are talking about when they don't even live in the city or state at all.

I grew up in Colorado and know plenty about it. I spent a lot of time in Denver and Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs so please shut up. Thanks!

oh, and Vail and Copper Mountain, and Mary Jane, and... oh never mind...

Ratboy
12-04-2013, 11:47 AM

It is when it's so dry your nose starts to bleed.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Seattle is extremely beautiful but if you do go there, be forewarned that a mega quake is coming to that area and very soon. The city is already going through the planning of this. The Northwest (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver) doesn't shake nearly as often as Cali does but when it does shake, they say it's 60 times more powerful then the quake that leveled San Francisco. It's called a "megaquake". There's a ton of stuff on the web about this event. A high chance it's going to be a 9.0 monster that will shake for 4 to 5 minutes. Odds are 1 in 3 it happens it the next 50 years.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2020525702_earthquakerecoveryxml.html

http://www.livescience.com/6513-odds-1-3-northwest-mega-quake-50-years.html

Umm, alright.

Anyway, if you want to move to the pacific northwest, you better like grey skies and rain.

errand
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
If you like owning a gun, smoking dope and the Broncos, then why wouldn't you move to Denver?

ZONA
12-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Umm, alright.

Anyway, if you want to move to the pacific northwest, you better like grey skies and rain.

Hahaha, I suppose that's what they said in Chile. People never believe the science.

TonyR
12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
It's really easy to combat, just buy a humidifier for when you sleep. Does wonders.

Well, not quite that simple. You can't take a humidifier everywhere you go! You've clearly never had to make the adjustment. Not a big deal, and I don't want to derail a thread on such a minor point, but it would be noticable to someone who grew up and lived their whole life in a more humid climate. On the positive side, Denver hot and Denver cold are both more comfortable than the same temperatures out here.

Ratboy
12-04-2013, 12:04 PM
I didn't know how passionate posters are about their city.

DHallblows
12-04-2013, 12:06 PM
It is when it's so dry your nose starts to bleed.

Does that actually happen to people? I personally have never had that issue. Maybe at times I could go for some Chapstick, but that's about it...

ro_50
12-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Haha, love the responses! Thanks all for replying and sorry Taco if I placed this in the main Broncos forum.

I just became single (broke up with a girl who decided to move from NYC back to her native Florida).

I can stand traffic be it I live in NJ and main reason I want to move is just want a change of scenery.

I work in web (do HTML, video editing). I haven't looked for a job in several years (been at the same gig for five years now).

I can tolerate the rain of Seattle if I decided that would be my option.

I like the outdoors and just picked up hiking as an activity I like to do.

I can tolerate the cold and even the rain, so that wouldn't be a factor and the winds (especially Chicago).

BTW Tombstone, I'm originally from Alabama. So the jokes can continue haha.

Powderaddict
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
I grew up in Aurora (Aurora Central High School...fun) and now live in Highlands Ranch. Talk about easy mode, I'm white and I can't get used to all the white people still.

Last year I went into the Whole Foods on University and Arapaho and only saw 1 minority the entire time I was there, and they were mopping the floor.

Weird...

ro_50
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Zona, what you posted kind of scares me about Seattle and potential for a mega earthquake.

Broncos_OTM
12-04-2013, 12:16 PM
No Vacancy

Peoples Champ
12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I just saw someone post this on Denver

http://thedeliciousday.com/traveling/the-best-city-in-the-united-states/

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Denver is great, but I'd avoid the suburbs. Seriously, who aims to move to the Suburbs? Denver proper is a great friggin' town with awesome food, drink, and nightlife. And I'm not sure you're going to meet a proper girl out in the burbs. JMO.

Seattle is a great city, one of my favorite places to visit, and I'd like to move there someday. The weather isn't for everyone though.

Chicago, I have no use for. Just not my kind of place. WAY too cold in the winter.

ro_50
12-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Denver is great, but I'd avoid the suburbs. Seriously, who aims to move to the Suburbs? Denver proper is a great friggin' town with awesome food, drink, and nightlife. And I'm not sure you're going to meet a proper girl out in the burbs. JMO.

Seattle is a great city, one of my favorite places to visit, and I'd like to move there someday. The weather isn't for everyone though.

Chicago, I have no use for. Just not my kind of place. WAY too cold in the winter.

Yeah I agree. It would be easier to find a girl in the city then move to the burbs to raise a family albeit I wouldn't mind raising a kid in the city!

Yeah, I can tolerate the rain albeit they had a massive drought this summer.

Its a toss up between the three cities.

Punisher
12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Denver is a great place to live and you can go to home games but and this is the truth San diego is a palce to settle in because of the weather.

Powderaddict
12-04-2013, 12:25 PM

I think Deborah Watts in the comment section is our very own Chef Luigi.

underrated29
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
LOL at colorado having serious gang issues!!!

The gangsters here do not even know what gangsters are. I have lived here my entire life and ive run into more trouble with military peeps who just got home and want to fight then i have gangsters. I suppose you could take the 1 incident with darrent williams and assume things are exponentially worse but, well, thats just dumb.

Seattle sucks- pretty place. But that rain and cold drizzle blows ass man. I also find the women there are a bit off. I could never live in seattle. Great city, lots to do, but the damn rain is terrible. Lucky for you OP you seem to be able to deal with it.

I can tell you one thing about me. I love colorado and am never moving away from this sexy MFr of a state! There is only two things it does not have that I love. The smell of the ocean and a beach. But that makes it all the easier to come up with excuses to go to the caribbean and hawaii.

Peoples Champ
12-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Yeah I agree. It would be easier to find a girl in the city then move to the burbs to raise a family albeit I wouldn't mind raising a kid in the city!

Yeah, I can tolerate the rain albeit they had a massive drought this summer.

Its a toss up between the three cities.

I have lived in all 4 times zones, i would have to say denver is the best place i lived. I live in OC right now but miss the seasons in Denver. The weather is perfect in Denver because you get everything, and not for too long. You dont get the long winter of the midwest or northeast, and you dont get the brutal summer of the southwest/desert areas. As soon as you get sick of the cold, it gets warm, and as soon as you get sick of the heat, it gets cold.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
I think Deborah Watts in the comment section is our very own Chef Luigi.

PREJUDICE........ 311....... D.V.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I have lived in all 4 times zones, i would have to say denver is the best place i lived. I live in OC right now but miss the seasons in Denver. The weather is perfect in Denver because you get everything, and not for too long. You dont get the long winter of the midwest or northeast, and you dont get the brutal summer of the southwest/desert areas. As soon as you get sick of the cold, it gets warm, and as soon as you get sick of the heat, it gets cold.

I am sick of the cold. Does that mean it will be warm soon? Because Kathy Skankbin is on 9news saying its going to be nipply.... nippy tomorrow. What am I saying, nipple.

Tombstone RJ
12-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Haha, love the responses! Thanks all for replying and sorry Taco if I placed this in the main Broncos forum.

I just became single (broke up with a girl who decided to move from NYC back to her native Florida).

I can stand traffic be it I live in NJ and main reason I want to move is just want a change of scenery.

I work in web (do HTML, video editing). I haven't looked for a job in several years (been at the same gig for five years now).

I can tolerate the rain of Seattle if I decided that would be my option.

I like the outdoors and just picked up hiking as an activity I like to do.

I can tolerate the cold and even the rain, so that wouldn't be a factor and the winds (especially Chicago).

BTW Tombstone, I'm originally from Alabama. So the jokes can continue haha.

Actually, if people are moving to the West from somewhere, I'd prefer they move either from another Western state like Utah or from the South. I don't care what the high and mighty East coast or Calitards claim about how edumacated they are, I'd take a friend from the southern states any day of the week because they have something the other edumacated morons lack, common sense!

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-04-2013, 12:40 PM

Ya, but you're currently in an area where women outnumber men, and hot ones outnumber the ugly ones. Cannot go wrong with HB/Newport.

underrated29
12-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I am sick of the cold. Does that mean it will be warm soon? Because Kathy Skankbin is on 9news saying its going to be nipply.... nippy tomorrow. What am I saying, nipple.

I watched that movie last night.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2013, 12:49 PM
LOL at gang violence being an issue in Denver. Maybe if you are in a gang. OP, whats your set? I walked colfax after 2 a.m. on the reg and never felt in danger.

Agree with Tombstone on the southern folks, prefer them over the east coast tards and don't get me started with the backwash.

bronco militia
12-04-2013, 12:58 PM

One of the first three states in the US to allow women to vote

they still have to make the sandwiches

Miss I.
12-04-2013, 02:29 PM
One of the first three states in the US to allow women to vote

they still have to make the sandwiches

Bitch, I told you to shut up and go make me a turkey pot pie.

Out of curiosity OP, what is it that you want from where you are planning on moving? What do you like about where you live now and what don't you like? I'd imagine it might be good to look at demographic info on each city and I am sure there are many sites with cost of living and all that info and year round weather stats as well as the pros and cons of various cities.

I've lived in Seattle and I liked it, but then again I liked England and they have somewhat similar weather patterns though England gets far more rain. With Seattle I found it a wonderful place for outdoors activities and I liked playing in the downtown. There are some great places to live, but it's not cheap. Of the options you've listed I think Denver is actually the least expensive of the 3 options. The issue with Seattle to me isn't so much the rain as it is the lack of sunshine. I've lived in wetter climates then Seattle (England for one) but what always got me was the lack of sun. Colorado for all it's cold ass days (and it does have a few of them and snow on Halloween sometimes as well as freak days in July) does have a lot of sun and open skies. I miss the open skyline of the west. I live in VA now and while I love the autumn leaves and the beautiful lakes and trees, I miss the big open skies (I grew up in Arizona and California mostly so I am keen on warmer weather). If I get back west I want to move to Denver. I have a house in Colorado Springs I hope to sell next year because I don't want to go back there. The Springs is ultra religious and conservative, pretty and cheaper then Denver, but not as much fun as Denver. I love LoDo in particular but I'd probably live in certain areas like Lakewood (the nicer parts) or even Littleton. Highlands Ranch is nice, but honestly if always seems like the Stepford Wives were all cloned there. Downtown is my favorite part of Denver and of course the stadium. I love the mountains there and the plentiful out door activities available. Seattle has a lot of this too, but if I was going that direction I might pick Portland as it is more laid back and appeals to my liberal sensibilities and seemed like it was cheaper to live and Seattle is only 4 hours away by car anyway. Chicago I know nothing about but I figure I'd probably hate the lake effect snow and being that close to Jay Cutler again. (heh, I kid, maybe). Anyway good luck.

SonOfLe-loLang
12-04-2013, 02:33 PM
b****, I told you to shut up and go make me a turkey pot pie.

Out of curiosity OP, what is it that you want from where you are planning on moving? What do you like about where you live now and what don't you like? I'd imagine it might be good to look at demographic info on each city and I am sure there are many sites with cost of living and all that info and year round weather stats as well as the pros and cons of various cities.

I've lived in Seattle and I liked it, but then again I liked England and they have somewhat similar weather patterns though England gets far more rain. With Seattle I found it a wonderful place for outdoors activities and I liked playing in the downtown. There are some great places to live, but it's not cheap. Of the options you've listed I think Denver is actually the least expensive of the 3 options. The issue with Seattle to me isn't so much the rain as it is the lack of sunshine. I've lived in wetter climates then Seattle (England for one) but what always got me was the lack of sun. Colorado for all it's cold ass days (and it does have a few of them and snow on Halloween sometimes as well as freak days in July) does have a lot of sun and open skies. I miss the open skyline of the west. I live in VA now and while I love the autumn leaves and the beautiful lakes and trees, I miss the big open skies (I grew up in Arizona and California mostly so I am keen on warmer weather). If I get back west I want to move to Denver. I have a house in Colorado Springs I hope to sell next year because I don't want to go back there. The Springs is ultra religious and conservative, pretty and cheaper then Denver, but not as much fun as Denver. I love LoDo in particular but I'd probably live in certain areas like Lakewood (the nicer parts) or even Littleton. Highlands Ranch is nice, but honestly if always seems like the Stepford Wives were all cloned there. Downtown is my favorite part of Denver and of course the stadium. I love the mountains there and the plentiful out door activities available. Seattle has a lot of this too, but if I was going that direction I might pick Portland as it is more laid back and appeals to my liberal sensibilities and seemed like it was cheaper to live and Seattle is only 4 hours away by car anyway. Chicago I know nothing about but I figure I'd probably hate the lake effect snow and being that close to Jay Cutler again. (heh, I kid, maybe). Anyway good luck.

This.

I didnt think weather really affected me until i spent 4 years in Oregon. Its not so much the amount of rain, its that the entire winter is grey. if you're affected by weather even a little, i'd think twice about moving there.

Bronco
12-04-2013, 02:45 PM
I live in the city and county of denver and wished I still lived in Littleton where I grew up. If you speak Spanish or are a coffee shop and dog park liberal the city is great but certainly not for me, luckily the housing market is booming and hopefully I sell before the bust.

Mountain Bronco
12-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I live in the city and county of denver and wished I still lived in Littleton where I grew up. If you speak Spanish or are a coffee shop and dog park liberal the city is great but certainly not for me, luckily the housing market is booming and hopefully I sell before the bust.

Enjoy your white neighbors and cookie cutter houses... :peace:

AZOrange 1
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Called Denver and Colorado my home for over 40 years until health forced me to sea level in Phoenix. My daughter still has a guide and outfitter business in Montrose. Best damn state there is and I miss being there horribly. I traveled and worked in 1/2 the states in the U.S. and although they all have good and bad, it's pretty damn hard to beat Colorado. Denver is not what it used to be years ago when the traffic was light, but still a beautiful place that's cheaper than most places you go, especially the east coast and pacific northwest. As with most people, work will dictate where you call home, but given the choice, I would be back in Montrose, Grand Junction or the Springs in that order.

crush17
12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Also Denver has the best green chili in the world, so there's that.

;)

ZONA
12-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Zona, what you posted kind of scares me about Seattle and potential for a mega earthquake.

Well the science says that it will indeed happen. Could be in 10 years it could be in 100 years. Who knows. But these mega thrust quakes are brutal. The one in Chile 3 years ago actually sped up the earths rotation and shifted it on it's axis slightly. And that fault is only roughly half the size as the one in the pacific NW.

I would still go there and visit and if I ever decided to live there, I would just be well informed of how to prepare for it, well at least the best you can anyway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yukp0bPkQxs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archer81
12-04-2013, 04:25 PM
b****, I told you to shut up and go make me a turkey pot pie.

Huh. I'm the opposite. I grew up in Virginia, North Carolina and Pennsylvania. I miss the water. Rain, ocean, actual rivers. I miss the huge trees and forests. Colorado is just so dry all the time. Only place I have ever been where everyone needs lotion just to have skin that does not resemble a shark's. Also tired of high fire danger from May to November.

And I am a tad bit more conservative than you are and I wouldnt live in Colorado Springs either. I'd pick Denver/Littleton or even Aurora if I were going to stay in Colorado. Instead I am moving to South Carolina just because I want to. Not because of a stripper girlfriend who may or may not be my baby mama.

I do have some pride.

:Broncos:

hambone13
12-04-2013, 04:33 PM
just what the west needs, another moron from the east coast. Hey, bring your stupid gun laws with you because, yah know, you're leaving a place you love soooo damn much because it sucks so of course you want to bring your idiocy with you out west right?

just remember why you are leaving the east coast and don't bring your baggage with you.

What a douche.

Drunk Monkey
12-04-2013, 04:48 PM

;)

WTF????? New Mexico has that cornered.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-04-2013, 04:56 PM

I'd like to see those double dopplers, if you catch my meaning.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
12-04-2013, 04:57 PM
WTF????? New Mexico has that cornered.

All depends on where you go. I prefer New Mexico red and Colorado green.

WABronco
12-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Agree with the initial point here. I moved here from a green, wet forest in the PNW and I feel pretty lucky to be where I'm at in Denver (sweet little pad in west Wash Park). I'm not paying out the nose either--I'm sure you could find a cool place at a reasonable rate just to settle a bit. Suburbs just seem a bit lame--a bunch of old houses from street to street and then a shopping center thrown in here and there. I can get anywhere in Denver on a bike in ~20 minutes. There's a ton of awesome places to drink/eat within walking distance. You don't have to go downtown to have a good time, either. Tasty beer seemingly everywhere. Mountains to go explore. Pretty sweet deal for a 26 year old with no long term obligations.

Seattle is pretty neat, too. I didn't spend a whole lot of time in Seattle when I lived in WA, but it definitely has much more of a "big city" feel than Denver does. Traffic is WAAAAY worse there. It actually rains more than once every 6 months, so if you appreciate moisture, there's that. The outdoors are, in my opinion, even better than CO. You have the ocean and the Cascades. Seeing a sh*t ton of people when you're trying to get away outdoors around here kind of blows, but in the Cascades you'll have to try to find someone else when you're out there. Obviously, if you go to certain places you can truly find seclusion, but you have to try harder in Denver (seems like). You also don't have to have AC because it doesn't turn into a damn oven for 3 months out of the year.

Denver and Seattle strike a pretty serious contrast when it comes to the environment around each city, but you can adapt to either. It took me a while to get over blood/phlegm hacking in the mornings and living in an oven during the summers, but now when I go home for christmas I get kind of tired of rain haha.

I have nothing on Chicago. Seems like a giant city in the Midwest. Awesome, I guess.

WABronco
12-04-2013, 05:02 PM

YOLO!

It rained here for 3 days and entire cities were washed away in floods.

Bronco Yoda
12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
I only quickly scanned the responses. But before we devote real analytical discussion I need two things answered.

1.) Are you chasing some poon that could very well be growing your child inside of her? If you think you can say yes, but also have doubts, then say that. It is very important to consider.

2.) If you were to shack up with a chick here in Denver (lets pretend it is a girl you followed), what do you do when a dude roommate is added to the equation and he ends up putting his peepee in her weewee. Do you let him kick your ass in your own home?

I am very excited to assist you in this decision making process, but my input will be mostly superficial until I know the answers to these two simple questions.

:saywhat:

Bronco
12-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Enjoy your white neighbors and cookie cutter houses... :peace:

I'm building my future house on a 4 acre lot west of the divide 8')

ZONA
12-04-2013, 05:10 PM
YOLO!

lol, comparing a flash flood to a mega quake Hilarious!

Drunken.Broncoholic2
12-04-2013, 05:12 PM
YOLO!

I was a kid during the Loma Prieta Quake. Lasted seconds then went on to eating my cereal.

I've been through hundreds of quakes. Would take them over floods hurricanes tornados etc any day.

Archer81
12-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Megaquakes dont matter. The giant ass volcano under yellowstone is going to kill us all first.

:Broncos:

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 05:51 PM
:saywhat:

You need to go read the often referenced moving to myrtle beach South Carolina thread.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 05:53 PM
I'd like to see those double dopplers, if you catch my meaning.

The double dopplers circa 2006, no doubt. But as of late she is more and more outdated.

underrated29
12-04-2013, 07:08 PM
You need to go read the often referenced moving to myrtle beach South Carolina thread.

He's posted in it. Iirc he gave advice to the kid to follow his pecker...ermm heart and move down there with her.

theAPAOps5
12-04-2013, 08:32 PM
He's posted in it. Iirc he gave advice to the kid to follow his pecker...ermm heart and move down there with her.

The he missed the update where he got his ass kicked by the roommate

Uncle Bill
12-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Never been to Seattle, but I spent the first 23 years of my life in Colorado (Greeley and Ft. Collins), and the next 14 years in Chicago. Just moved back to Colorado and settled in Greenwood Village, b/c it's very close to work and I didn't want to deal with commuting while I was getting reestablished here...

Chicago is an amazing city...in the summertime. The spring and fall are hit or miss, and the winters can be absolutely brutal. Even a "mild" winter sucks, b/c you won't see the sun for weeks on-end. Just really depressing. As mentioned by several others in this thread, the weather in CO is awesome. It's generally pretty mild/sunny, and you get a great variety. For example, just last Friday I was playing golf in shorts and a light jacket, and today it's snowing and freezing cold. Within a week, it will probably be in the 50's and people will be out and about riding bikes, etc. Chicagoans are basically stuck indoors bowling, playing cards, and watching tv for the next 3 months until things thaw out.

In terms of "feel", the two cities are night and day. There are definitely some urban/walkable areas in Denver, but nothing like Chicago. Not even close. Denver is basically a huge suburb with a few city-like nooks. Chicago is NYC-lite. The restaurants and nightlife in Chicago are amazing--you could literally go to a new place every time you went out for the rest of your life and never run out of good options. Not that Denver doesn't have good food and bars, just nothing like Chicago. Both places are relatively laid back, with friendly people. Generally speaking, Coloradoans are way more active and healthy.

As much as people complain about traffic in Denver, it's really not that bad. There are a few hours in the morning and afternoon that are rough, but it lightens up at other times and on the weekends. The traffic in and around Chicago, on the other hand, just never lets up. That area is just so much more densely populated than Denver. You are probably used to that on the East Coast, though.

In terms of real estate the Chicago market is still very depressed, and Denver is thriving. Overall cost of living seems about the same so far. Denver is supposedly about 5% to 10% cheaper, but I don't buy it. Groceries are definitely more expensive in CO, although gas is about $0.30 cheaper.

I loved the experience of living in Chicago, but overall I think the weather and lifestyle that CO offers is pretty tough to beat. The only thing we can't offer are beaches. Just my 2 cents--hopefully you can glean some useful info out of my rambling post...

maven
12-04-2013, 09:11 PM
yuck, who would want to electively move to Denver....

Bronco Yoda
12-04-2013, 10:27 PM

Yeah that was some of the dumbest **** i've posted on here. And I've posted some really stupid ****.:giggle:

One of those times when you read something the following day you wrote and ask yourself WTF... did I really write that? So cringe worthy I stopped following the thread. Figures it would turn into an all-time OM meme. :hitself:

SleepingTiger
12-05-2013, 09:11 AM
my family was always on the move then i later joined the military, so i been to quite a few cities.

lived in lakewood for 10yrs back in the 80's. loved it when i was young, doubt i would like it as much now. its cold and snows way too much. I came back several times for business trip and visiting family. i wasn't much impressed. if I was single, i would probably like it. If I had a family... i would find a better place. Not sure of the other cities in Colorado, but the education system in Lakewood sucks. Someone mentioned nose bleeds because of dry weather, believe it.

Lived in Chicago (Mt. Prospect), loved it. The education system in Chicago is far superior to that of Lakewood. I went from the top of my class in Lakewood and became a bottom feeder in Chicago. I was a Junior and they had 7th and 8th graders taking higher level classes than me. It is very competitive. Great city as it always seems alive. Other than the cold, I loved it.

Charlotte, lived there for 4yrs or so. Its ok, went to college there. Nothing special. Downtown is dead at night. Can't say much about the public education system. Boring city. Good place to go if you are part of the witness protection program.

Shreveport, LA. Arm pit of America. It sucks. Unless you park your car on a military installation or in your garage, expect it to be broken in sooner than later. Hate it, would never want to live there.

South Korea, can't really say much as i was drunk 70% of the time. Great place to be if you want to drink 18hrs/day.

Fort Walton Beach FL. Wow, loved everything about it. This is the place to be after the kids have left and you're ready for retirement. For me, its all about the fishing. Cost of living is cheap, good food, plenty of entertainment. Besides the holidays when all the northerners descend on Destin, its a great place to live.

Dallas, I like it. Great food, entertainment, city is always alive. Besides the heat and traffic, this is an ideal place to raise a family. Very good education system. Very friendly people. My friend from Jersey didn't know how to respond when she came to Dallas and strangers would say hi.

Here is one thing i notice about Denver, the people are snobbish. I saw some of that here on this thread. My cousins are like that.

CHEF LUIGI
12-05-2013, 09:17 AM
WTF????? New Mexico has that cornered.hatch green chilis, best in the world. but last night I made green chili pork stew, and didnt have any hatch.
still awesome !

Houshyamama
12-05-2013, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry, imma let you all finish, but San Diego is the best city in the world, apart from its sports teams.

Mountain Bronco
12-05-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm building my future house on a 4 acre lot west of the divide 8')

The only thing worse than Californian's moving to Denver is Denverites moving to the west slope. Stay on your side bitch. :welcome:

**** is falling apart I tell you.

Kid A
12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Never been to Seattle, but I spent the first 23 years of my life in Colorado (Greeley and Ft. Collins), and the next 14 years in Chicago. Just moved back to Colorado and settled in Greenwood Village, b/c it's very close to work and I didn't want to deal with commuting while I was getting reestablished here...

Chicago is an amazing city...in the summertime. The spring and fall are hit or miss, and the winters can be absolutely brutal. Even a "mild" winter sucks, b/c you won't see the sun for weeks on-end. Just really depressing. As mentioned by several others in this thread, the weather in CO is awesome. It's generally pretty mild/sunny, and you get a great variety. For example, just last Friday I was playing golf in shorts and a light jacket, and today it's snowing and freezing cold. Within a week, it will probably be in the 50's and people will be out and about riding bikes, etc. Chicagoans are basically stuck indoors bowling, playing cards, and watching tv for the next 3 months until things thaw out.

In terms of "feel", the two cities are night and day. There are definitely some urban/walkable areas in Denver, but nothing like Chicago. Not even close. Denver is basically a huge suburb with a few city-like nooks. Chicago is NYC-lite. The restaurants and nightlife in Chicago are amazing--you could literally go to a new place every time you went out for the rest of your life and never run out of good options. Not that Denver doesn't have good food and bars, just nothing like Chicago. Both places are relatively laid back, with friendly people. Generally speaking, Coloradoans are way more active and healthy.

As much as people complain about traffic in Denver, it's really not that bad. There are a few hours in the morning and afternoon that are rough, but it lightens up at other times and on the weekends. The traffic in and around Chicago, on the other hand, just never lets up. That area is just so much more densely populated than Denver. You are probably used to that on the East Coast, though.

In terms of real estate the Chicago market is still very depressed, and Denver is thriving. Overall cost of living seems about the same so far. Denver is supposedly about 5% to 10% cheaper, but I don't buy it. Groceries are definitely more expensive in CO, although gas is about $0.30 cheaper.

I loved the experience of living in Chicago, but overall I think the weather and lifestyle that CO offers is pretty tough to beat. The only thing we can't offer are beaches. Just my 2 cents--hopefully you can glean some useful info out of my rambling post...

Solid summary of Chicago. This might be the winter that finally pushes me outódamp, windy cold and endless grey weeks that last into late March. Yesterday was foggy and grey, but it was 50 degrees, so I loved it (strongly considering moving to the Pac NW myself). But Chicago is back to freezing today, of course.

Beautiful city, lots of great and distinct neighborhoods, cultural attractions, etc. I may have a hard time moving away from the "real city" urban density after getting used to it. If you're a city person you just grow attached to that and everything that goes with it. I fall in love with the city all over again every summer. But I also share the OPs desire for a more outdoorsy culture like Denver or Seattle, where there isn't a five month period of hibernation where all you do socially is drink (not that that isn't fun some of the time.)

Irish Stout
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM
The education system in Chicago is far superior to that of Lakewood. I went from the top of my class in Lakewood and became a bottom feeder in Chicago. I was a Junior and they had 7th and 8th graders taking higher level classes than me. It is very competitive.

I'm sorry, but isn't Chicago known as one of the worst school systems in the country with the highest amount of student violence and shootings? Chicago has like 3 or 4 great prep schools, but I'm fairly certain a majority of their high schools are below average.

You can pick and chose, but to take a whole city as massive as Chicago and compare your experience at one school to a small suburb of the Denver Metroplex seems strange.

Powderaddict
12-05-2013, 10:44 AM
The only thing worse than Californian's moving to Denver is Denverites moving to the west slope. Stay on your side b****. :welcome:

Sorry, I was trying to put distance between me and an ex.

TotallyScrewed
12-05-2013, 11:02 AM
It really boils down to...

Are you a job bringer or a job taker?

bronco militia
12-05-2013, 11:03 AM
fyi

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yuN1PeSxo2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mountain Bronco
12-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Sorry, I was trying to put distance between me and an ex.

My comments are obviously in Jest, but the Western Slope is really an unknown gem and I would love to have it stay that way; although growth is important, lets just keep on the low down.

Enjoyed my years in Denver trying out the city, but couldn't wait to get back home. I am a small town guy. Even 3-4 days in Chicago, while a blast, makes me claustrophobic.

Powderaddict
12-05-2013, 11:25 AM
My comments are obviously in Jest, but the Western Slope is really an unknown gem and I would love to have it stay that way; although growth is important, lets just keep on the low down.

Enjoyed my years in Denver trying out the city, but couldn't wait to get back home. I am a small town guy. Even 3-4 days in Chicago, while a blast, makes me claustrophobic.

I didn't take it personally, just keeping the joke going :welcome:

I lived in Denver for 20 years (6-25), and I love going there to visit, but you are right about the WS being a gem. It's my home, and I can't think of anywhere else I'd want to live. No crowds, no traffic, and so much to do.

I mean, it's ugly, boring, expensive, and it really sucks.

SleepingTiger
12-05-2013, 11:45 AM
I'm sorry, but isn't Chicago known as one of the worst school systems in the country with the highest amount of student violence and shootings? Chicago has like 3 or 4 great prep schools, but I'm fairly certain a majority of their high schools are below average.

You can pick and chose, but to take a whole city as massive as Chicago and compare your experience at one school to a small suburb of the Denver Metroplex seems strange.

I'm just going by my experience. Can't say what the inner Chicago schools are because I never went to those schools. I went to two high schools in Cook county IL, I can say both are very good and competitive. In my class of 500 something students, the lowest GPA was a 3.5 out of 5 if I remember. My graduating class consisted of 50 something juniors that have earned enough credit to graduate early. Oh yeah, the area I lived wasn't a rich area either. I lived in a apartment and I was on the school lunch voucher program.

My cousins went to school in Aurora, and he never told me the schools had much of a high standard. Calculus wasn't even available. This was back in the late 80's early 90's, things can obviously be different now.

I went to Alameda high near Wadsworth and Mississippi, and there was no accountability. I ditch school everyday. I would go to gym and play basketball, lift weights, play tennis and no one ever questioned if I was part of the class. Teachers kinda just said whatever. I would sign agreements with the VP to excuse all my tardies and absences if i promise to show up to class. This is something I can never get away with in Chicago.

Bronco
12-05-2013, 11:49 AM
The only thing worse than Californian's moving to Denver is Denverites moving to the west slope. Stay on your side b****. :welcome:

I spend most of my time and money west of the tunnel nowadays anyway so you won't notice me:egbgb:

Mountain Bronco
12-05-2013, 11:57 AM
Reading comprehension much? I bitch about denverites coming to the western slope, hint, hint, I live on the western slope, ie... west of the tunnel. You are west of the tunnel so I won't see you?

You are probably right though, I will likely never see you. Isn't the interwebs fun...

Bronco
12-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Reading comprehension much? I b**** about denverites coming to the western slope, hint, hint, I live on the western slope, ie... west of the tunnel. You are west of the tunnel so I won't see you?

You are probably right though, I will likely never see you. Isn't the interwebs fun...

To dumb it down for you- I'm in summit right now smart guy, work up here 260 days a year for the past 10 years. So when I said I spend most of my time west of the tunnel, I meant it.

Uncle Bill
12-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Solid summary of Chicago. This might be the winter that finally pushes me outódamp, windy cold and endless grey weeks that last into late March. Yesterday was foggy and grey, but it was 50 degrees, so I loved it (strongly considering moving to the Pac NW myself). But Chicago is back to freezing today, of course.

Beautiful city, lots of great and distinct neighborhoods, cultural attractions, etc. I may have a hard time moving away from the "real city" urban density after getting used to it. If you're a city person you just grow attached to that and everything that goes with it. I fall in love with the city all over again every summer. But I also share the OPs desire for a more outdoorsy culture like Denver or Seattle, where there isn't a five month period of hibernation where all you do socially is drink (not that that isn't fun some of the time.)

The hibernation is finally what did it for me. I'll really miss the street fests, beach volleyball, eating outdoors at great little BYOB restaurants, etc. in the summer, but the stuff you put up with the rest of the year just isn't worth it.

I already miss some of the benefits of living in such a dense urban area, but my lifestyle there was becoming more and more car-centric, due to changes with my job and friends living in the suburbs. Figured if I was going to be driving a lot, there was no point in the city life, and opted to go back to a place where there's good weather and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. So far, so good...

BroncoBeavis
12-05-2013, 12:38 PM
The hibernation is finally what did it for me. I'll really miss the street fests, beach volleyball, eating outdoors at great little BYOB restaurants, etc. in the summer, but the stuff you put up with the rest of the year just isn't worth it.

I already miss some of the benefits of living in such a dense urban area, but my lifestyle there was becoming more and more car-centric, due to changes with my job and friends living in the suburbs. Figured if I was going to be driving a lot, there was no point in the city life, and opted to go back to a place where there's good weather and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do. So far, so good...

Any time I've been in Chicago during the summer it's been way too brutally hot for my taste. Maybe it was just bad luck. Or maybe there's just no good time of year to be had in Chitown.

Irish Stout
12-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Any time I've been in Chicago during the summer it's been way too brutally hot for my taste. Maybe it was just bad luck. Or maybe there's just no good time of year to be had in Chitown.

I've been to Chicago twice. Though I like the city well enough, I did not like the weather. I was there in February and July and there was not one day on either trip that I felt comfortable outside. But I am totally adapted to the dry climates of CO, UT, AZ and NV. I'll take a 105 degree day in any of those places over a 95 degree summer day in a place like Chicago or Houston. The reverse is also true for me, if its 32 degrees with high humidity the air feels as frigid as a 0 degree day in CO. Humidity sucks, people.

I guess it is all what you're accustomed to and get your body trained for.

mwill07
12-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I'd move to Denver in a heartbeat if I could find a job willing to give me a moving package. I might consider without a move package if the opportunity was right.

Anywhere west of I-25 and north of Castle Rock is probably the only area in the country I'd be willing to relocate to right now.

MileHighMagic
12-05-2013, 06:18 PM

;)

Say whaaa? Green "chile" comes from New Mexico. You're welcome.

ZONA
12-05-2013, 06:54 PM
I was a kid during the Loma Prieta Quake. Lasted seconds then went on to eating my cereal.

I've been through hundreds of quakes. Would take them over floods hurricanes tornados etc any day.

You must not read. These aren't normal quakes dude. You're used to slip-strike faults which the plates are just moving horizontally against one another. Those can be fairly destructive but nothing like a subduction zone fault. They're 2 entirely different types of quakes. What most people don't understand about earthquakes, even those who live in quake zones are usually clueless to this fact, is that each degree upwards is 10 times worse. So a 7.0 is 10 times worse then a 6.0. So the mega quake produces a 9.0, which would be 30 times more powerful then somebody's who's been through a 6.0 quake, but it doesn't end there, as the documentaries explain, the mega thrust earth quakes don't last seconds, try upwards of 4 to 5 minutes. They're nothing like what you've been through. People simply don't stop eating their cereal for a few seconds and then go back to eating. Experts say a quake of this magnitude would dwarf the destruction of Katrina. There's no tornado that could come even close to the damage of this type of quake.

And regarding the Yellowstone Caldera, yes that is going to happen as well, but that only happens once every 100,000 years. The mega quake that will hit the Pacific NW will happen way before the Yellowstone eruption occurs. The mega quake happens roughly every 300 years. But yeah, when that Yellowstone eruption happens, that's a game changer.

MileHighMagic
12-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Chicago is an excellent choice simply because of Wrigley and Giordano's pizza.

Dutch
12-06-2013, 02:21 AM
Have to chime in on this one. Spent the first 21 years of my life living in metro Denver, then spent the next 12 all over the planet....just about everywhere. Follow that up with 14 years in Atlanta. My folks lived In the PNW for 16 years as well during that time. Just moved back to Denver taking a position as Rocky Mountain Regional Manager for my company. All I know is, I can't believe it took me this long to come home. It is record cold here right now, but it still beats the crap weather of Upstate NY or the Midwest with the lack of sun. Same goes for the Pac NW. There is no comparison to the humidity of either of those places or the South in the summer time. Brutal! All that said, Denver has changed significantly. Cali has moved in and changed the vibe, and not for the better. However, I am loving being back. Got to spend the first three weeks working in Telluride. Prettiest box canyon in yhe Rockies. Enjoyed the hell out of the sense of wonder the guys on my team displayed almost daily over the view. Totally understand why you Western Slopers love it. Just can't eat the scenery! Looking now for a sublet in LODO as most of our work after the first of the year will be in metro Denver and want/need to get out of the corporate hotel. If anyone knows of somethings out there, drop me a pm if you would. Also fun to get back to a place where a Jeep isn't just a vehicular statements of who you are, but a necessity to get where you want to go. Get out here and don't look back, you won't regret it. God knows the only thing I regret is that it took me soon long. Wasted time.

broncocalijohn
12-06-2013, 01:01 PM
^^^ Hey, start your own Lodo thread! This isn't about you, it is about the OP. I think we should just have told him to try out Myrtle Beach and be done with the thread.