PDA

View Full Version : Should the Redskins change their name?

SportinOne
11-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Here is the actual question that I am asking:

Should the Washington Redskins change their name.

The question is not: Should they have to change their name?

It is also not: Should someone make them change their name?

It is also not: How do you think Dan Snyder feels about this? Do you think he would want to do it?

This is also not a debate about free speech and/or private property. It is obvious that since that team has operated under that name for a very long time that they are legally entitled to continue using that name. So this is not a question of law, it is an "ought" to thing.

You could reinterpret the question as: Given the facts of the situation and given how you feel about it personally, do you think that the Washington Redskins ought to change their name?

I'm not here to place any judgement, I just want to see how the board feels and I want to avoid some of the frequent pitfalls of asking questions like this and how the responses can be skewed by a misinterpretation of the question.

Feel free to qualify your vote with words.

Tombstone RJ
11-07-2013, 01:28 PM
No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.

BroncoMan4ever
No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.

This

mennonite
What are the odds that Mike Florio is Logicalvoice?

Kaylore
11-07-2013, 01:32 PM
I voted yes, but barely so. I hate how a bunch of uppity white people are driving the change. I hate the PC crowd supports the change. I hate that it's something that doesn't really harm anyone. The word is use in a positive way. They are supporting that group. I don't believe the team's existence encourages racism or people to treat Native Americans poorly. I think the press and a bunch of liberal jerk-wads are driving for the change.

That said, objectively speaking, the name is really stupid. There are a number of team names that can be used to reference the many Native Americans that are better words than "Redskin." I mean really when you step back and look at that, it's stupid. And the whining and crying will never stop until they do. So I would say change it to save yourself from the headache, and because they name was pretty stupid to begin with.

ColoradoDarin
11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Option C: I don't care

Bonus gif action!

http://www.digital-polyphony.com/tumblr_mcn1vl0uIf1qajc4eo1_500.gif

That was a great movie!

bronco militia
11-07-2013, 01:35 PM
don't care...what happened to the other thread?

Crushaholic
11-07-2013, 01:48 PM
People are normally resistant to change. It's especially true, in this case. Changing the name of a franchise that has been in existence for over 80 years is a difficult thing to do. It may have started out as a racial slur, but I don't think anybody, today, sees it as anything but a name. Plus, "Hail To The Redskins" is a great fight song. Leave it alone. It's not like they are trotting out a Native American mascot and buffooning him (ala Charlie Chaplin). Everything I've seen actually CELEBRATES the Native culture...

mennonite
11-07-2013, 02:04 PM
They'll give in. They always do. This is America - the more offended you claim to be the more political capitol you have.

ludo21
11-07-2013, 02:16 PM
my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz

Requiem
11-07-2013, 02:27 PM
They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.

cutthemdown
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I'd have to see the numbers. Do we make money on the name change, or do we lose money.

cutthemdown
11-07-2013, 02:33 PM
If you could make money on new merchandise, and win from a PR standpoint Snyder fighting it could be a mistake.

SportinOne
11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz

lol

you're poll was asking something completely different, just wanted to take an OM snap shot.

Tombstone RJ
11-07-2013, 02:56 PM
They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.

Brilliant! :~ohyah!:

Requiem
11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Brilliant! :~ohyah!:

It's a Win-Win for everyone. I don't think they'd approve of Andrew Jackson tho. He was mean to natives.

BroncoMan4ever
11-07-2013, 02:59 PM
My main question in all of this is where the **** are the people bitching at the Braves, Indians, or Blackhawks, Florida State Seminoles also SDSU Aztecs? Hell even the Chiefs can be considered as being un-PC.

Requiem
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Because none of those names (as far as I know) had a negative connotation associated with them. . . or were at any time used as pejoratives.

Mogulseeker
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I voted yes, but barely so. I hate how a bunch of uppity white people are driving the change. I hate the PC crowd supports the change. I hate that it's something that doesn't really harm anyone. The word is use in a positive way. They are supporting that group. I don't believe the team's existence encourages racism or people to treat Native Americans poorly. I think the press and a bunch of liberal jerk-wads are driving for the change.

That said, objectively speaking, the name is really stupid. There are a number of team names that can be used to reference the many Native Americans that are better words than "Redskin." I mean really when you step back and look at that, it's stupid. And the whining and crying will never stop until they do. So I would say change it to save yourself from the headache, and because they name was pretty stupid to begin with.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this.

I voted yes... But barely. I'm not overly PC, but 'Redskins' is a pretty ridiculous team name.

But the worst team name in sports by far is Real Salt Lake.

Orange Habit
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
For years, I've long been in the Samuel Gerard camp on this issue. It's funny that it's all of the sudden gaining steam now, when it's been mentioned quite a while ago.

However, what has started to sway me to reconsider is being reminded that the man that gave the Redskins its name, George Preston Marshall, was a racist of epic proportions, and he clearly gave the team its name for racist reasons. Now, I strongly believe that no word, by itself, can inherently be offensive. It's all about the context--and in this case, the context is pretty ugly.

So basically, the decision that Dan Snyder has to make is whether any benefits of retaining the Redskins name outweigh the bad history of why the name was chosen in the first place.

That said, I strongly disagree with the recent trend of some news outlets and journalists refusing to say Redskins in print. The name of the team is the Washington Redskins, whether you like it or not. You are more than free to denounce the name and argue that it should be changed, but you should also fully inform your viewers.

Besides, whenever I see the phrase "Washington football team", I think of the fine program run by Steve Sarkisian in Seattle. This could lead into another rant on how I feel East Coasters wrongly assume "Washington" always means DC, but that's for another day... :)

rmsanger
11-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Washington Smegma Foreskins

Garcia Bronco
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
I support the team's right to decide. If they want to change it, I support that. If they want to leave it be, I support that too.

Archer81
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Jesus...Ezekiel...Jesus...

Third thread asking the same EXACT question. Search is a friend, really. And to answer again...I dont care. And the only opinion that matters is Dan Snyder's.

:Broncos:

GreatBronco16
11-07-2013, 05:05 PM
No.

RedskinBronco
11-07-2013, 06:17 PM
No, but they need to change that joke defense.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
i am very offended by the name sports authority i demand it be ripped off the stadium and replace with big giant words MILE HIGH STADIUM

Arkie
11-07-2013, 06:33 PM
My main question in all of this is where the **** are the people b****ing at the Braves, Indians, or Blackhawks, Florida State Seminoles also SDSU Aztecs? Hell even the Chiefs can be considered as being un-PC.

They didn't make the list.

List of racial slurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs)

SportinOne
11-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Jesus...Ezekiel...Jesus...

Third thread asking the same EXACT question. Search is a friend, really. And to answer again...I dont care. And the only opinion that matters is Dan Snyder's.

Since you put "EXACT" in all caps, I feel compelled to point out to you that, no, this is not the exact same question. It's quite different. Feel free to use the search to confirm this.

Arkie
11-07-2013, 06:37 PM

It might just work.

http://sellmecoins.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/F-silver-washington-quarter-buy-and-sell-coins.jpghttp://cdn1.ricochet.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/zh2dlesaa9i69f6flilx/4227788-1-eng-US/zh2dlesaa9i69f6flilx_medium.gif

Broncobiv
11-07-2013, 06:49 PM
It might just work.

http://sellmecoins.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/F-silver-washington-quarter-buy-and-sell-coins.jpghttp://cdn1.ricochet.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/media/images/zh2dlesaa9i69f6flilx/4227788-1-eng-US/zh2dlesaa9i69f6flilx_medium.gif

LOL

Hamrob
11-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I think it's asinine that people are refusing to say the name Redskins anymore or even print it in their paper. Pretty stupid. I guess they all have all of a sudden changed their minds...considering it was a non-issue 5yrs ago.....let alone the other 80yrs or so that the Redskins have been an Organization.

To me, this is a sign of the times. This country is becoming so darn liberal....sooner or later we'll all be like CA............Bankrupt!

Everyone wants to live in the land of kum ba ya! Let's all be nice to each other and care for each other, and not work, and get paid etc. etc.

So, why fight it....they're just going to whine and cry, and complain until they change the name. So....change it.

Additionally.....kids have grown up in this PC world we've created...so, more an more people are offended by the name. So....drop the "Red".......I've always referred to them as the "Skins" anyways.

orange crusher
11-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Anyone on here a twin that's gonna start picketing in Minneapolis?

Arkie
11-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Anyone on here a twin that's gonna start picketing in Minneapolis?

That's a dumb name for a baseball team with more than two players.

RedskinBronco
11-07-2013, 07:26 PM
In addition to being offended by the redskins defense making ****ing Ponder look like an NFL QB, I am also offended by the NY Giants. There are too many short people in this world and Giants is derogatory and offensive.

I also have issues with the Detroit Lions name. I am an animal rights activist.

Edit: in case it was not clear, this world is so freaking sensitive these days. You change the name, you just open up a whole can of worms for other team names. Redskins was never intended to be malicious and no other team ever thought that way either when coming up with their name. Soon you are just going to have the city name and that's it.

Washington football club
Denver football club

tsiguy96
11-07-2013, 07:39 PM
i think everyone understands why some people think this is an issue brought up only because people are too sensitive. and i agree, people are becoming overly PC, sensitive and dramatic.

but at the end of the day, how is having a team called the redskins any different than having a team called the blackskins, whiteskins, yellowskins or whatever? this isnt about becoming a tree hugging liberal fighting the gun toting repubs or whatever else you want to say, its about the name of a team and its origins in racism, especially considering the person who named the team.

Archer81
11-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Since you put "EXACT" in all caps, I feel compelled to point out to you that, no, this is not the exact same question. It's quite different. Feel free to use the search to confirm this.

Dammit.

Nevertheless...

Jason in LA
11-07-2013, 09:53 PM
They didn't make the list.

List of racial slurs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs)

"Ann
(North America) a white woman to a black person"

Naw, that's not true. White women are called Becky by black men. ;D

BowlenBall
11-07-2013, 11:13 PM
The name is offensive -- not on a PC level, but in an obvious and crude way. We're better than this, and it's time for us to evolve (yet again) as a culture.

"We've always had slaves -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

"Women have never had the vote -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

"They've always been named the Redskins -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

ZONA
11-08-2013, 12:03 AM

Do we have to go there again? I remember a post only a month ago or so that somebody had to go and throw his political spin on it and it was moved to the butt. Please, keep your silly political spin and input off the subject. Simply answer the mans question. I suppose it's fine if you say something about liberals trying to push the idea but when you throw your "they have nothing better to do with their time" BS in there you offend others and we are in full season mode and political bashing is not allowed. Don't do it.

ZONA
11-08-2013, 12:18 AM
In addition to being offended by the redskins defense making ****ing Ponder look like an NFL QB, I am also offended by the NY Giants. There are too many short people in this world and Giants is derogatory and offensive.

I also have issues with the Detroit Lions name. I am an animal rights activist.

Edit: in case it was not clear, this world is so freaking sensitive these days. You change the name, you just open up a whole can of worms for other team names. Redskins was never intended to be malicious and no other team ever thought that way either when coming up with their name. Soon you are just going to have the city name and that's it.

Washington football club
Denver football club

That was a very very weak attempt at a reasonable argument. I'm not saying the name is good or bad, just that your take on it was weak.

I don't know if it should be changed or not, the more I think about it. Certainly many native american groups oppose the name and that alone could be enough. There's no way the team is using the name in a negative way in their mind so they don't feel they should change it.

This thing will probably go on for years and years. Unlike the NCAA which can levy sanctions against things like this, there's nothing in the NFL that can force the team to change names, it would have be be a vote held by the owners.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-08-2013, 05:28 AM
If the team was founded today, is there any chance that they name the team "redskins"? Of course not. Just like they wouldn't name a team the Negroes or Chinks. Because that **** is offensive.

tsiguy96
11-08-2013, 06:31 AM
If the team was founded today, is there any chance that they name the team "redskins"? Of course not. Just like they wouldn't name a team the Negroes or Chinks. Because that **** is offensive.

Exactly. This isnt a liberal vs republican issue, nor is it a PC or non PC issue or a question of whether people are too soft or easily offended (all of which a very valid point can be made). this is a very specific issue of a team name historically being a racial slur, and in 2013 a lot of people think something should be done by that

Crushaholic
11-08-2013, 06:47 AM
That's a dumb name for a baseball team with more than two players.

...not sure if serious...

In case you are, the "twins" refer to the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul....

OABB
11-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Injuns aren't even red, they're yellow and brown technically.

DenverDynamite
11-08-2013, 10:35 AM

You know, I really hate this crap. Why must everything be liberal v. conservative? For the record, I'm very liberal and I'm also married to a card-carrying member of the Cherokee Nation and I, or my wife take no issues with the Redskins name. However this guy, one of your ideological 'teammates' feels very differently...

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/republican-congressman-redskins-should-change-their-name/

B-Large
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
If I were the owner, I would consider changing the name because I see how people find it bigoted and offensive.

Just like many words have evolved in gravity over time, such as ****er, which at one time was considered a pefectly acceptable word is now one of the ones most of hope to forget.

Redskins at one time was probably fairly benign, nowadays, it seems pretty bigoted.

At the end of the day its up to Snyder, and really fans and supports shoudl put pressure on him to change it, not the Government.

SportinOne
11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
If I were the owner, I would consider changing the name because I see how people find it bigoted and offensive.

Just like many words have evolved in gravity over time, such as ****er, which at one time was considered a pefectly acceptable word is now one of the ones most of hope to forget.

Redskins at one time was probably fairly benign, nowadays, it seems pretty bigoted.

At the end of the day its up to Snyder, and really fans and supports shoudl put pressure on him to change it, not the Government.

I completely agree with this and I think this is the point that many people are missing by jumping into a liberal vs. conservative debate

And.. I don't know what your political views are, who you vote for, but that doesn't matter. Here we have an opinion that is sensitive to social justice BUT IS AGAINST THE IDEA of unnecessary government control.

WOW! Would you look at that?! Such a rare contradiction we have on our hands isn't it?

Except that it's not. There are a lot of people who think this way, but they exist in real life and not in the fabricated, distopian fantasy land of cable news and political talk radio. This is why it is counterproductive to immediately connect an issue to your political stance and then mindlessly regurgitate it time and again.

Quoydogs
11-08-2013, 11:54 AM
This

This

B-Large
11-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I completely agree with this and I think this is the point that many people are missing by jumping into a liberal vs. conservative debate

And.. I don't know what your political views are, who you vote for, but that doesn't matter. Here we have an opinion that is sensitive to social justice BUT IS AGAINST THE IDEA of unnecessary government control.

WOW! Would you look at that?! Such a rare contradiction we have on our hands isn't it?

Except that it's not. There are a lot of people who think this way, but they exist in real life and not in the fabricated, distopian fantasy land of cable news and political talk radio. This is why it is counterproductive to immediately connect an issue to your political stance and then mindlessly regurgitate it time and again.

great post- It my opinion that many of us are quick to abdicate the power of change to the Government, and rely on our Governing body to fix all the wrongs, both perceived and real. It seems like many of us have lost sight of the fact that the power is with the PEOPLE, and we can band together and address grievances with our purchasing power and court of poublic opinion.

If Redskins fan stoped attending games and buying 12 beers until Synder changed the name, sure bet he would change it.

Kaylore
11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
The name is offensive -- not on a PC level, but in an obvious and crude way. We're better than this, and it's time for us to evolve (yet again) as a culture.

"We've always had slaves -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

"Women have never had the vote -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

"They've always been named the Redskins -- why should that change? It's part of our heritage."

Yes because the Washington Redskins team name is the same as enslaving a human being or cutting out half the voting population.

These are the kinds of comments and comparisons that infuriate me and make we want them to keep the name out of spite.

B-Large
11-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes because the Washington Redskins team name is the same as enslaving a human being or cutting out half the voting population.

These are the kinds of comments and comparisons that infuriate me and make we want them to keep the name out of spite.

Some might argue our countymen exterminated Native Americans at will in our history.... perhaps not a quite a parrallel comparison, but not very far off either.

Blart
11-08-2013, 01:19 PM
"The word Redskin was taught to me at a very young age, and this is the meaning it has for me.

"I am a Native American. I grew up on an Indian reservation. As a child, the United States Government and the Catholic Church came into our homes, took us away from our families, and forced us into Catholic boarding schools. There was no choice to be had in this matter, you had to go. The Catholic Church with the blessings of the United States Government took it upon themselves to determine that we were savages, and needed to be transformed to fit into their society.

"When my hair was cut short by the priests, I was called a "redskin" and a savage. When I spoke my native tongue, I was beaten and called "redskin". When I tried to follow the spiritual path of my people, I was again beaten and called a "redskin". I was told by them to turn my back on the ways of my people, or I would forever be nothing but a dirty "redskin".

"The only way "redskin" was ever used towards my people and myself was in a derogatory manner. It was never, ever, used in a show of respect or kindness. It was only used to let you know that you were dirty and no good, and to this day still is.

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans." --by Clem Ironwing, Sioux

Quoydogs
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Simple solution

Offer them a Casino, free pay checks and some fishing rights and they'll be just fine with it.

BowlenBall
11-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Oh, I'm so sorry to infuriate you. Imagine how infuriated you'd be if you were this guy:

"My great grandmother survived the massacre that bitter cold day on January 23, 1870. Her name was Lone Charge and she was oldest child of Chief Heavy Runner’s children. Ben Bennett’s book Death, Too, For the Heavy Runner tells how the people were down with smallpox, sick and starving. Chief Heavy Runner had sent all the able-bodied men out to hunt for food. The soldiers attacked the wrong camp. But when it was pointed out to him that these were friendly Indians, and when the people pleaded for mercy for the children, Col. Baker said “nits breed lice.” He likely called them “dirty redskins.” That is how we perceive the use of the word “redskins.”

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

And thanks for the neg rep -- my first in seven years on this site. Much appreciated.

Kaylore
11-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Some might argue our countymen exterminated Native Americans at will in our history.... perhaps not a quite a parrallel comparison, but not very far off either.

Oh, I'm so sorry to infuriate you. Imagine how infuriated you'd be if you were this guy:

"My great grandmother survived the massacre that bitter cold day on January 23, 1870. Her name was Lone Charge and she was oldest child of Chief Heavy Runner’s children. Ben Bennett’s book Death, Too, For the Heavy Runner tells how the people were down with smallpox, sick and starving. Chief Heavy Runner had sent all the able-bodied men out to hunt for food. The soldiers attacked the wrong camp. But when it was pointed out to him that these were friendly Indians, and when the people pleaded for mercy for the children, Col. Baker said “nits breed lice.” He likely called them “dirty redskins.” That is how we perceive the use of the word “redskins.”

http://deadspin.com/rick-reillys-american-indian-father-in-law-says-reilly-1443599450

And thanks for the neg rep -- my first in seven years on this site. Much appreciated.

Saying a racist word is bad, but equating it to the things you are both listing is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

Calling someone the "N" word is not the same as actually being a slave owner. Calling a woman a b**** is not the same is preventing all of them from voting. And calling a football team the Redskins is not the same as driving indigenous peoples from their homes.

Trying to suggest they are in any way similar minimizes the atrocities these groups of people saw. I also think it's a huge reach to suggest that keeping the name endorses those practices in anyway.

Those were civil rights issues that must be preserved and people were willing to die to stop some of those immoral acts that were sanctioned by our national government.

This is the name of a freaking football team that offends people. We're not even in the same solar system of severity as women's suffrage.

And honestly, people need to get over being neg reped. It's not like it means anything more than "I disapprove of this post." And it does the same thing positive rep does: absolutely nothing. Somehow on the Mane it's come to mean "I hate you and your very existence and you must now destroy me at all costs for the red dot I put on your interweb forum." Get over it.

broncolife
11-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I demand the Browns change their name.

Missouribronc
11-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Saying a racist word is bad, but equating it to the things you are both listing is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

Calling someone the "N" word is not the same as actually being a slave owner. Calling a woman a b**** is not the same is preventing all of them from voting. And calling a football team the Redskins is not the same as driving indigenous peoples from their homes.

Trying to suggest they are in any way similar minimizes the atrocities these groups of people saw. I also think it's a huge reach to suggest that keeping the name endorses those practices in anyway.

Those were civil rights issues that must be preserved and people were willing to die to stop some of those immoral acts that were sanctioned by our national government.

This is the name of a freaking football team that offends people. We're not even in the same solar system of severity as women's suffrage.

And honestly, people need to get over being neg reped. It's not like it means anything more than "I disapprove of this post." And it does the same thing positive rep does: absolutely nothing. Somehow on the Mane it's come to mean "I hate you and your very existence and you must now destroy me at all costs for the red dot I put on your interweb forum." Get over it.

If saying a racist word is bad, why should that racist word be used as a mascot?

Do I agree with you that it doesn't equate to the actual atrocities committed against Native Americans? Sure. But why do we allow it to perpetuate our society?

The name SHOULD be changed. It won't be, because it's owned by a private corporation. But it SHOULD be.

BowlenBall
11-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Of course, enslaving a black person is much worse than slandering a black person. Of course, denying a woman a vote is much worse than calling her a bitch. And of course, the near-genocide of native americans is much, much worse than calling the pro football team in Washington "The Redskins".

However, you've created a (false) argument for me. "The name Redskins is exactly the same as genocide! The name Redskins in exactly the same as slavery!" This was not my point, and you know it. In my post, I wasn't trying to say these things were equivalent. I was saying that tradition and conservatism have a very strong pull on people. "This is the way we've always done/said it," is the argument being used to preserve the (very racist) nickname of the Washington football club. The argument is simply not valid, just as the same arguments against the emancipation proclamation and suffrage were not valid.

Just because things ARE doesn't mean they SHOULD BE.

TDmvp
11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Group demands California high school change 'Arab' team name, mascot

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/us/california-arab-team-mascot/

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/95/854a2870-2ae1-0131-26af-3a7050473382.jpg?w=790&h=550&fit=max&fm=jpg&q=65

The school has a mascot that "depicts a man with a large nose, heavy beard, and wearing" a traditional head covering, the group said.
During halftime, "a female dressed as belly dancer entertains the mascot by dancing for him,"

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W-GrTuRVg7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes!
The horror...

BowlenBall
11-08-2013, 11:20 PM
A history lesson on the Redskins franchise:

"The move to Washington meant that the Redskins were now the young National Football League’s most southern team, its only one below the Mason-Dixon Line. (Owner George Preston) Marshall, a native of Grafton, West Virginia, a small railroad town, had grown up with very Southern attitudes. In 1936, when he proposed to his wife, Corrine, he arranged a set piece to impress her, writes Thomas G. Smith in Showdown: he wooed the former MGM starlet “amidst fragrant honeysuckle while a group of African American performers sang ‘Carry Me Back to Old Virginny’” (“Massa and Missus have long since gone before me/Soon we will meet on that bright and golden shore”). Attending them were two young black women dressed in costumes out of Gone With the Wind (published that same year) who brought them mint juleps. Marshall aggressively marketed the Redskins as the South’s team. He would be the last NFL owner to integrate his team and did so after years of heavy resistance and only because of government pressure."

"In 1959—around about the time some Southern states were reintroducing the Confederate stars and bars to their flags—Marshall changed the lyrics of the team song from “Fight for old D.C.” to “Fight for old Dixie.” The marching band’s standard pregame routine involved playing “Hail to the Redskins,” “Dixie,” and “The Star-Spangled Banner”—in that order. In 1960 and 1961, the team won just one game each year."

"(Marshall) asked rhetorically: “All the other teams we play have Negroes; does it matter which team has the Negroes?” During the summer of the Freedom Rides, the Redskins drama intensified. The American Nazi Party marched outside the new stadium, carrying placards saying “Keep Redskins White!” The NAACP and CORE picketed the stadium and Marshall’s house. Marshall insisted that the government had no right to tell him how to run his business."

"...even in his will (he died in 1969) stipulated that the Redskins Foundation that was to be created with most of his estate not direct a single dollar toward “any purpose which supports or employs the principle of racial integration in any form.”

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/nov/10/racist-redskins/?pagination=false

Marshall changed the franchise name from "Braves" to "Redskins" when he bought the franchise in the 1930s. Something tells me it wasn't to 'honor' native americans....

Blart
11-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Marshall used to played Dixie over the stadium's loudspeakers before the games. Today, the Redsk*ns fight song is still based on Dixie.

Like Snyder, he was a true racist piece of ****.

TomServo
11-09-2013, 01:19 AM
chiefs, braves, indians are next. or ANY team that Anyone finds offensive is next.
Broncos?,colts, bengals? Animal cruelty.
49ers-greed. Giants? cruel to little people.
I bet the house that if you say "Washington Redskins" to anyone in the USA they will associate it to the football team. That redskins= scalps" crap is a myth perpetuated b y the same old idiots.
So go ahead and cry for the redskins name to be changed. if they succeed. the Broncos demise wont be far behind. maybe the broncos will become the horseys, or maybe the mountain horses. Broncos are horses that mean to be broken. but in that new world, No broncos.

Blart
11-09-2013, 01:28 AM
chiefs, braves, indians are next. or ANY team that Anyone finds offensive is next.
I bet the house that if you say "Washington Redskins" to anyone in the USA they will associate it to the football team. That redskins= scalps" crap is a myth perpetuated b y the same old idiots.
So go ahead and cry for the redskins name to be changed. if they succeed. the Broncos demise wont be far behind. maybe the broncos will become the horseys, or maybe the mountain horses. Broncos are horses that mean to be broken. but in that new world, No broncos.

blah blah blah blah

slippery slope fallacy.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

Bronco Yoda
11-09-2013, 01:55 AM
I would change the name just for the financial windfall. Imagine all the crap fans would have to buy over. And all in the name of good will.

BowlenBall
11-09-2013, 02:10 AM
Here's two other pro sports teams founded in the 1930s -- to honor african-americans, obviously.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae167/txranger190/Insipred%20by%20knuckler/Negro%20Leagues/Barnstorming%20Teams/zulu_cannibal_giants2.png

http://also.kottke.org/misc/images/ethiopian-clowns.jpg

tsiguy96
11-09-2013, 03:13 AM
blah blah blah blah

slippery slope fallacy.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope

winner.

Broncos_OTM
11-09-2013, 03:45 AM

well said. what really tweaks me is that people still get butthurt about the name...Then again people with no dog in the fight always got to be butthurt about something ..

Broncos_OTM
11-09-2013, 03:54 AM
Marshall used to played Dixie over the stadium's loudspeakers before the games. Today, the Redsk*ns fight song is still based on Dixie.

Like Snyder, he was a true racist piece of ****.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l0tzZ__Z5Qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3KeplwDwEB4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Broncos_OTM
11-09-2013, 04:12 AM
I'm offended Keebler calls their delicious tasty snack crackers.

rmsanger
11-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Good luck with the Arabs... I can see the engines getting some sympathy votes but nobody packs a fudge about A-rabs so l f'ing l.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2013, 06:25 AM

This is the dumbest **** ever spouted on this site.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2013, 06:26 AM
well said. what really tweaks me is that people still get butthurt about the name...Then again people with no dog in the fight always got to be butthurt about something ..

You know that goes both ways, right? Does it actually matter to ANYONE on this board whether or not the team in Washington changes its racist moniker? Doubtful. Yet those who are against the change are just as loud and butthurt as anyone working to make the change happen.

OABB
11-09-2013, 06:29 AM

Me too honestly. In fact, it makes me want to go to a natural food store and hammer the open toes of teva wearing pussies.

B-Large
11-09-2013, 06:52 AM

Wow, you've completely gone outside the scope of the argument into fantasy land....

B-Large
11-09-2013, 06:56 AM
If saying a racist word is bad, why should that racist word be used as a mascot?

Do I agree with you that it doesn't equate to the actual atrocities committed against Native Americans? Sure. But why do we allow it to perpetuate our society?

The name SHOULD be changed. It won't be, because it's owned by a private corporation. But it SHOULD be.

Basically this. As a society we should be better....

RedskinBronco
11-09-2013, 07:22 AM
I agree with Tom Servo's point. Even if exaggerated; it's not outlandish.

Society is very sensitive these days and you open it up for more bitching about team names.

Don't for a second believe that there won't be a group bitching about the SF Giants or NY Giants after this tribe crusade...

Society is ****ed up

Pony Boy
11-09-2013, 07:23 AM
Injuns aren't even red, they're yellow and brown technically.

I'm Native American and WTF is this racist crap?

RedskinBronco
11-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Btw, snyder will eventually have to change name from all the pressure.

Only way he doesnt and people forget is if the skins win 2 super bowls in a 5 yr span.

This is like b****ing about bringing baseball to DC because the orioles sucked. #peoplelovetocomplain

Kaylore
11-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Of course, enslaving a black person is much worse than slandering a black person. Of course, denying a woman a vote is much worse than calling her a b****. And of course, the near-genocide of native americans is much, much worse than calling the pro football team in Washington "The Redskins".

However, you've created a (false) argument for me. "The name Redskins is exactly the same as genocide! The name Redskins in exactly the same as slavery!" This was not my point, and you know it. In my post, I wasn't trying to say these things were equivalent.

You were the name change to slavery and women's suffrage. There many other examples that area closer equivalent. It was a poor example.

I agree. Imagine if there was a new franchise starting and someone suggested this for a name. It would be a joke skit on a late night talk show.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I agree with Tom Servo's point. Even if exaggerated; it's not outlandish.

Society is very sensitive these days and you open it up for more b****ing about team names.

Don't for a second believe that there won't be a group b****ing about the SF Giants or NY Giants after this tribe crusade...

Society is ****ed up

It's completely outlandish. Nobody is going to give a **** about the ****ing Giants changing their name. Don't be stupid.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2013, 07:48 AM
You were the name change to slavery and women's suffrage. There many other examples that area closer equivalent. It was a poor example.
\

You know that wasn't his point. You know that. Stop pretending that you don't know that, because you know that.

Kaylore
11-09-2013, 08:11 AM
You know that wasn't his point. You know that. Stop pretending that you don't know that, because you know that.

Really? Do I? He could have used any number of things. The N word, fag, even just being homosexual would have all been closer. It was a crap comparison intentionally using the worst examples in history to illustrate some kind of moral equivalence. There is none.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Because none of those names (as far as I know) had a negative connotation associated with them. . . or were at any time used as pejoratives.
BINGO, the term redskin is offensive to enough native americans to justify the need for change.

NEW YORK KIKES?
How is that gonna sell at the NY NFL office?

if dan snyder wants to keep the name REDSKINS,
HE SHOULD CHANGE THE logo TO A BOWL OF RED SKINNED FRUIT, LIKE APPLES, GRAPES, BANANAS AND PEARS.
if he is genuine in his comments about wanting to honor native americans, then he should find a new nickname that isnt so derrogatorry !

TheElusiveKyleOrton
11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Really? Do I? He could have used any number of things. The N word, fag, even just being homosexual would have all been closer. It was a crap comparison intentionally using the worst examples in history to illustrate some kind of moral equivalence. There is none.

Really. You should. You're not a dummy.

"This is the way we've always done it/it's been this way for 80 years/etc." isn't a valid excuse to continue being racist. Just like women being unable to vote, or blacks being held as slaves, wasn't "right" and "just" because it's how things had always been done.

cutthemdown
11-09-2013, 08:45 AM
A HS about an hour from my house call themselves the ARABS. There mascot is an offensive arab shiek with a huge nose. Sometimes they have cheerleaders belly dance while he runs around being an evil little arab lol. it's pretty bad.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 08:48 AM
"The word Redskin was taught to me at a very young age, and this is the meaning it has for me.

"I am a Native American. I grew up on an Indian reservation. As a child, the United States Government and the Catholic Church came into our homes, took us away from our families, and forced us into Catholic boarding schools. There was no choice to be had in this matter, you had to go. The Catholic Church with the blessings of the United States Government took it upon themselves to determine that we were savages, and needed to be transformed to fit into their society.

"When my hair was cut short by the priests, I was called a "redskin" and a savage. When I spoke my native tongue, I was beaten and called "redskin". When I tried to follow the spiritual path of my people, I was again beaten and called a "redskin". I was told by them to turn my back on the ways of my people, or I would forever be nothing but a dirty "redskin".

"The only way "redskin" was ever used towards my people and myself was in a derogatory manner. It was never, ever, used in a show of respect or kindness. It was only used to let you know that you were dirty and no good, and to this day still is.

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans." --by Clem Ironwing, Siouxany person who reads this and continues to argue in favor of keeping the name redskin is a worthless sack of dog excrement !

TDmvp
11-09-2013, 09:18 AM
A HS about an hour from my house call themselves the ARABS. There mascot is an offensive arab shiek with a huge nose. Sometimes they have cheerleaders belly dance while he runs around being an evil little arab lol. it's pretty bad.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/us/california-arab-team-mascot/

http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/uploads/95/854a2870-2ae1-0131-26af-3a7050473382.jpg?w=790&h=550&fit=max&fm=jpg&q=65

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W-GrTuRVg7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes!
The horror...

:welcome:

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 09:18 AM
well said. what really tweaks me is that people still get butthurt about the name...Then again people with no dog in the fight always got to be butthurt about something ..your worthless white man sinicicism does not outwhiegh the hurt of one single native american child who just might be offended by the name and phrase "redskin" so you should stop being so butthurt over considering another human beings emotions! you ansd all the pompous indignant back alley RACISTS need to deal with your own butthurt feelingds and get a clue about reality !
redskins is a derogatory racist term, it haS NO BUISNESS BEING THE Mascot of an nfl team !

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 09:22 AM
A HS about an hour from my house call themselves the ARABS. There mascot is an offensive arab shiek with a huge nose. Sometimes they have cheerleaders belly dance while he runs around being an evil little arab lol. it's pretty bad.it is almost incomprehensable that this actually exisits!
neanderthals would be a better name for these parents, teachers and administrators who allow their children to attend this school.

GreatBronco16
11-09-2013, 09:32 AM
So what's the number of offended count up to now?

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 09:48 AM
so how many children actually died on that school bus?

Archer81
11-09-2013, 09:48 AM
your worthless white man sinicicism does not outwhiegh the hurt of one single native american child who just might be offended by the name and phrase "redskin" so you should stop being so butthurt over considering another human beings emotions! you ansd all the pompous indignant back alley RACISTS need to deal with your own butthurt feelingds and get a clue about reality !
redskins is a derogatory racist term, it haS NO BUISNESS BEING THE Mascot of an nfl team !

You decry racism in this post while being racist towards whites. Fascinating.

How do you feel about the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves or Kansas City Chiefs? Redskins is considered racist, yet the Indians have/had a mascot called Chief Wahoo. Braves are painting natives as warlike with that damn tomahawk. And the Chiefs...nothing screams "racist" like 80,000 white people with mullets doing the tomahawk chop set to a war chant.

But by all means; The Washington Redskins is the great white whale that MUST be slain. Even if it does not affect you in any possible way.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 10:05 AM
redskins is the..
wait just a minute, did you not read the post of an american souix regarding the term "rtedskin"?
are you still defending it?
are you?
then you are dog **** !

Taco John
11-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Wasn't there a poll that showed only a tiny minority of Native Americans (http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/downloads/political_communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf) were offended? If it's not even a popular sentiment among Native Americans to be offended by the word, I'm not sure why this is even an issue.

There are enough real issues worth fighting for, what's the point of manufacturing one?

RedskinBronco
11-09-2013, 10:12 AM
It's completely outlandish. Nobody is going to give a **** about the ****ing Giants changing their name. Don't be stupid.

So after they get their way on Redskins name change, you don't think "activists" will b**** about something else?

I don't see it ending with the Washington Redskins, that's my point.

Like I said earlier in this thread (this may take YEARS, but it will eventually happen at this rate):

Denver football club
Washington football club
Oakland football club
Chicago hockey club

etc...

First it's redskins, then it will be something like the Indians/Seminoles/etc.

after that comes the animal activists which will probably coincide with the time Vick retires so they have something else to go after lol. In no way am I condoning what Vick did, just saying activists will always find something.

RocBronc
11-09-2013, 10:43 AM
I will demand the Redskins change their name the same day that the same people that want this change campaign for the change of the team name that disparages my ethnic heritage...

That being the stereotype that we are a bunch of alcoholic sots prone to brawling at the drop of a hat--- The Fighting Irish

Hypocrites really are so annoying...

stopgap
11-09-2013, 10:47 AM
I will demand the Redskins change their name the same day that the same people that want this change campaign for the change of the team name that disparages my ethnic heritage...

That being the stereotype that we are a bunch of alcoholic sots prone to brawling at the drop of a hat--- The Fighting Irish

Hypocrites really are so annoying...

awesome post.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 10:56 AM
So after they get their way on Redskins name change, you don't think "activists" will b**** about something else?

I don't see it ending with the Washington Redskins, that's my point.

Like I said earlier in this thread (this may take YEARS, but it will eventually happen at this rate):

Denver football club
Washington football club
Oakland football club
Chicago hockey club

etc...

First it's redskins, then it will be something like the Indians/Seminoles/etc.

after that comes the animal activists which will probably coincide with the time Vick retires so they have something else to go after lol. In no way am I condoning what Vick did, just saying activists will always find something.oh good luck to you and your crew in the fight against the evil activists that destroy humanity!
go check your still and kiss your wife/sister before she goes to grade school !

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Wasn't there a poll that showed only a tiny minority of Native Americans (http://www.annenbergpublicpolicycenter.org/downloads/political_communication/naes/2004_03_redskins_09-24_pr.pdf) were offended? If it's not even a popular sentiment among Native Americans to be offended by the word, I'm not sure why this is even an issue.

There are enough real issues worth fighting for, what's the point of manufacturing one?havent you been reading/ there are no worthwhile issues, just activists attempting to ruin our american, not native, way of life.
next thing you lknow govment will be telling us we cant beat our kids !

Crushaholic
11-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Here's my bottom line. Words have meanings. Sometimes those meanings change, throughout history. The Flinstones sang about having a "gay, old time". Gay used to, exclusively, mean happy. Today, Redskins is just a name. I haven't heard anyone use that term, in a derogatory way...

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 11:06 AM
You decry racism in this post while being racist towards whites. Fascinating.

How do you feel about the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves or Kansas City Chiefs? Redskins is considered racist, yet the Indians have/had a mascot called Chief Wahoo. Braves are painting natives as warlike with that damn tomahawk. And the Chiefs...nothing screams "racist" like 80,000 white people with mullets doing the tomahawk chop set to a war chant.

But by all means; The Washington Redskins is the great white whale that MUST be slain. Even if it does not affect you in any possible way.

:Broncos:it does not matter how it affects me , an old man living in cracker-white scottsdale az. it matters to the native american who lives in this country and whose feelings and concerns should be respected.
anyone who continues to ignore the post that expains how the term redskin is viewed by a native american is not a worthwhile human being, not a responsable member of society and not worthy of my responses otherthan to tell them they are worthless piles of dog excrement and pig vomit.

Archer81
11-09-2013, 11:08 AM
redskins is the..
wait just a minute, did you not read the post of an american souix regarding the term "rtedskin"?
are you still defending it?
are you?
then you are dog **** !

The term Redskin was originally applied to a tribe of Indians in Delaware who had the habit of using red clay as war paint...hence "redskin". It took on racial overtones much later. I am curious why this matters to you. Are you a Redskins fan? Or are you offering an opinion just to offer one?

If you are this sensitive to things daily life must be very hard for you.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 11:11 AM

"A long time ago, a group of people who had no knowledge of these facts, and who put no thought into what "redskin" actually meant chose to use this word for their mascot. A new group of people, now being confronted about it, have somehow decided it is their decision to change the meaning of this word to fit their purposes and agendas, but again have put no thought into its true meaning or what this word means to Native Americans." --by Clem Ironwing, Sioux

THIS !
ther is no reasonable, rational, human argument against this.
to deny this is to deny your place in society. stop trying to whitewash this with your poison blankets and reservations about giving in to 'activists' or any other crap.

Archer81
11-09-2013, 11:13 AM
it does not matter how it affects me , an old man living in cracker-white scottsdale az. it matters to the native american who lives in this country and whose feelings and concerns should be respected.
anyone who continues to ignore the post that expains how the term redskin is viewed by a native american is not a worthwhile human being, not a responsable member of society and not worthy of my responses otherthan to tell them they are worthless piles of dog excrement and pig vomit.

Again with the racism.

The only opinion or feelings that matters is that of Dan Snyder...who owns the Washington Redskins.

And it is one thing to listen to the opinions of others. It is another to be debased by someone for not sharing them. Which is pretty much what you are doing. So good job there.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 11:14 AM
The term Redskin was originally applied to a tribe of Indians in Delaware who had the habit of using red clay as war paint...hence "redskin". It took on racial overtones much later. I am curious why this matters to you. Are you a Redskins fan? Or are you offering an opinion just to offer one?

If you are this sensitive to things daily life must be very hard for you.

:Broncos:and your parents must have rubbed horseshyt on you until it effected your brain.

Archer81
11-09-2013, 11:19 AM
and your parents must have rubbed horseshyt on you until it effected your brain.

You are a lurker here for years and apparently unaware of the rules against 1. family smack and 2. getting around language filters.

I advise you to cease this line of invective, unless you are aiming for a banning.

TheReverend
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Nice to Chef Luigi gets owned in EVERY discussion he tries to have.

Chef, you have the education of a 4th grader.

ZONA
11-09-2013, 11:46 AM

OMG it amazes me how stupid some of you are. Give us one example of the term Redskin that is positive or means something good. You can't, there isn't one. Trying to compare that to a name like the Broncos? For real? Animal cruelty? WTF? Read the last part of your post again and try and understand how stupid it is. I don't mind people having different opinion but where I draw the line is that the opinion at least make some sense. What you have going on there is just meaningless nonsense. I mean, that really is idiotic. You should be bitch slapped for even writing that crap.

RedskinBronco
11-09-2013, 12:02 PM
oh good luck to you and your crew in the fight against the evil activists that destroy humanity!
go check your still and kiss your wife/sister before she goes to grade school !

lol, sorry man didn't mean to make it so heated. I really don't give a ****, my point is society is so ****ing sensitive.

It won't end with the skins; that's all...

I really don't care if people bitch; it's how the world works. Im just saying 'Redskins' won't be the last argument/change, I Guarantee it.

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 12:09 PM
You are a lurker here for years and apparently unaware of the rules against 1. family smack and 2. getting around language filters.

I advise you to cease this line of invective, unless you are aiming for a banning.

:Broncos:iAM SURE NOT SHARING THE SAME OPINION AS A MODERATOR OR CALLING HIM OUT FOR EXPRESSING RACIST ATTITUDE WILL GET ME BANNED.
BECAUSE MODERATORS CAN DO NO WRONG AND OF COURSE THEY ALL STICK TOGETHER WHEN ONE GETS HIS FEELINGS HURT. never mind every other poster who has used some form of excrement in their posts, just bann the one you disagree with, and be sure to remove my posts so none cvan follow the trail of selective inforcement too, thats also a popular mod activity !
as well as bringing up past history or other subjects that have nothing to do with this one!
or that a political thread exists in a non political forum, inviting this kind of dialgue. hello moderator?
please !

CHEF LUIGI
11-09-2013, 12:10 PM
I said nothing bad about your sister/ wife. unless it is to disparage her because she married you.