PDA

View Full Version : Matt Damon puts kids in private school. LOL

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN12tx9oWCk&feature=player_detailpage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HqOub-heGQc

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HqOub-heGQc?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hN12tx9oWCk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
LOL
Actor Matt Damon was very vocal about his advocacy in favor of the public school system at the keynote speaker at the Washington, D.C., Save Our Schools march slightly more than two years ago. Now, Damon is admitting he had to make the “big, big, big” decision to send his own children to private school.
But the reason as to why is not what you might think.

In an interview with The Guardian published Friday, Damon explained that this decision came as he and his wife are moving their children from New York to Los Angeles. And it turns out that public schools just aren’t quite progressive enough for the Damon brood.

“I mean, I pay for a private education and I’m trying to get the one that most matches the public education that I had, but that kind of progressive education no longer exists in the public system. It’s unfair,” Damon told The Guardian.

He said there was a “giant family discussion” around the topic and he felt “ultimately we don’t have a choice.”

Since this decision was announced, some have pounced calling Damon a hypocrite.

In addition to fretting a bit over the decision to move his children out of the public school system — he is the son of a public school teacher and went through the system himself — Damon expressed to The Guardian that he worries how L.A. will change the normalcy he said his family has experienced in New York City.

He also said he takes into particular consideration the privilege his children experience as a result of his wealth.

“Our kids are growing up with more privilege than we had; that’s true for most of my friends in LA. I don’t know any actor who grew up with any particular privilege, so everyone wrestles with this,” Damon told The Guardian. “And I think a lot of times it’s about being patient with your kids.”

“It’s something we talk about a lot, but I think ultimately it’s about giving them an understanding of the world. So at least they can get some context for where they fit into everything,” he continued.

Watch Damon’s speech in July 2011 at the Save Our Schools rally in D.C. (Note: Damon starts speaking at 1:55):

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/06/strong-public-school-advocate-matt-damon-found-to-send-his-kids-to-private-school/

TonyR
08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
So you're somehow surprised that a wealthy, famous person would put his children in private school? I'd do the same thing even if I did advocate for, and support the importance of, public school education.

houghtam
08-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I don't get it. Why should someone who supports public school not also be able to support private education?

BroncoBeavis
08-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I don't get it. Why should someone who supports public school not also be able to support private education?

If "supporting" public education means opposing school choice legislation (as it often does), then sending your kids to private school is the height of hypocrisy.

But I'm not sure of Matt's stance on that issue. So I'll withhold judgement until I know otherwise.

nyuk nyuk
08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Damon is a degenerate. Nothing surprising here.

Requiem
08-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Matt Damon is a legend. Haters gonna hate.

Ever seen him and Ed Norton in Rounders?

TonyR
08-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Damon is a degenerate.

How so?

Rohirrim
08-08-2013, 02:34 PM

Do you like rhubarb?

houghtam
08-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Damon is a job creator and thus more valuable to society than I am.

FYP

El Guapo
08-08-2013, 03:33 PM
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gnPWJOJYVKc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rohirrim
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
So would I.

Arkie
08-08-2013, 04:22 PM

Yeah, it looks like Damon is hanging out with the wrong crowd. Some of them even have dark skin! Yikes!Ha!

https://www.google.com/search?safe=off&q=matt+damon+humanitarian&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1366&bih=667&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.ciY8R2R6XC8.O&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=DxkEUuOPAeObiALe44HQBQ#imgdii=_

W*GS
08-09-2013, 05:31 AM

I consider the source, and dismiss the claim.

Stick to dark movie theaters.

Meck77
08-09-2013, 08:37 AM
This falls under why my motto's. "Believe nothing what you hear and only half of what you see." Damon=Bull****ter.

Arkie
08-09-2013, 12:27 PM
All actors are bull****ters or they wouldn't be very good at acting. Politicians are good actors too if they can seem so sincere when relating to the people. I think Bill Clinton could have made it in Hollywood if he chose acting over law/politics. Clinton and Reagan were the two most popular Presidents in my lifetime and the best bull****ters. Obama's pretty good too. Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore couldn't pull it off because they all seemed too phony. Bush was a two-term president only because he was running against Gore and Kerry. We elect the best bull****ters which means Matt Damon may run for office one of these days.

Meck77
08-09-2013, 12:31 PM
All actors are bull****ters or they wouldn't be very good at acting. Politicians are good actors too if they can seem so sincere when relating to the people. I think Bill Clinton could have made it in Hollywood if he chose acting over law/politics. Clinton and Reagan were the two most popular Presidents in my lifetime and the best bull****ters. Obama's pretty good too. Romney, McCain, Kerry, and Gore couldn't pull it off because they all seemed too phony. Bush was a two-term president only because he was running against Gore and Kerry. We elect the best bull****ters which means Matt Damon may run for office one of these days.

Yup and guys like Rigs are still eating it up political partisan BS.

TonyR
08-09-2013, 12:45 PM
lol you clowns think Matt Damon supporting education and public schools is somehow a bad thing. Are they not worth supporting just because he's wealthy enough to put his kids in an elite private school? I could see you being upset if he was supporting something bad or controversial. But I just don't see what it is you have to complain about in this case. Find something else to bitch about.

BroncoBeavis
08-09-2013, 03:23 PM
lol you clowns think Matt Damon supporting education and public schools is somehow a bad thing. Are they not worth supporting just because he's wealthy enough to put his kids in an elite private school? I could see you being upset if he was supporting something bad or controversial. But I just don't see what it is you have to complain about in this case. Find something else to b**** about.

The typical argument by the 'support public schools' crowd is that school choice legislation is bad because allowing kids to pick up their taxpayer funding and take it elsewhere damages the schools they leave behind.

But in most states, schools' funding is based on enrollment. So removing your child from the school, even if paying for it yourself, has exactly the same negative consequence for the public school.

It's the logical equivalent of offering up someone else's kids as crash test dummies for a new prototypical vehicle, while assuring everyone that you might let your kids ride in it as soon as all the kinks get worked out. :)

But as I said, maybe Mr Damon's position is more nuanced than the establishment "no school choice" crowd. So I'm not sure in his particular case. Needless to say, that specific example of hypocrisy is very common among most of the elite private schooling "public school supporters"

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-09-2013, 04:03 PM
lol you clowns think Matt Damon supporting education and public schools is somehow a bad thing. Are they not worth supporting just because he's wealthy enough to put his kids in an elite private school? I could see you being upset if he was supporting something bad or controversial. But I just don't see what it is you have to complain about in this case. Find something else to b**** about.

Like every Lib you got it all wrong. LOL

Fedaykin
08-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh, I see why Damon is a "degenerate" now:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/elysium-science-fiction-tricked-hollywood-into-making-the-years-most-radical-film

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-10-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh, I see why Damon is a "degenerate" now:

http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/elysium-science-fiction-tricked-hollywood-into-making-the-years-most-radical-film

Nope. Still don't get it. Libs and Dems are so stupid. LOL

barryr
08-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Hmm, so liberals defend Damon by stating he can still support public schools even though he won't send his kids there, and all the while, they are constantly searching to out any republican who is gay and demean them if they do not support special rights for gay people. The liberal "logic" at its typical display.

Fedaykin
08-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Nope. Still don't get it. Libs and Dems are so stupid. LOL

That you can't spot an obvious joke even when it jumps up and bites you ni the ass is quite telling...

houghtam
08-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Hmm, so liberals defend Damon by stating he can still support public schools even though he won't send his kids there, and all the while, they are constantly searching to out any republican who is gay and demean them if they do not support special rights for gay people. The liberal "logic" at its typical display.

Define special.

Like the right to get married? Power of attorney?

El Minion
08-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Define special.

Like the right to get married? Power of attorney?

The binary Jim Crow thinking of conservatives and evangelicals is that equal rights for gays=special rights for gays. Gays must remain 3/5 citizens, or all hell will break loose if given "special rights", like cats and dogs living together.....

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/O3ZOKDmorj0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/O3ZOKDmorj0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DenverBrit
08-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Pretty good summary of the state of politics. :~ohyah!:

txtebow
08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Big government tool.........

Bacchus
08-13-2013, 02:35 AM
So you're somehow surprised that a wealthy, famous person would put his children in private school? I'd do the same thing even if I did advocate for, and support the importance of, public school education.

Exactly, what a dip****. Of course he put his kids in Private school. Have you seen public schools thse days?

If he would have put his kids in Public School OI would have thought he hated his kids. I am poor but I would send my kids to Private school if I could have.

BroncoBeavis
08-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Exactly, what a dip****. Of course he put his kids in Private school. Have you seen public schools thse days?

If he would have put his kids in Public School OI would have thought he hated his kids. I am poor but I would send my kids to Private school if I could have.

Which is why the state should give lower income families the option of taking their child's share of funding somewhere where it won't be pissed down the toilet.

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Which is why the state should give lower income families the option of taking their child's share of funding somewhere where it won't be pissed down the toilet.

Yeah. That'll work. Ha!

TonyR
08-13-2013, 12:08 PM
I bet Matt Damon loses a lot of sleep worrying about what UltimateHobo, BroncoBeavis, nyuk nyuk, barryr, and txtbow think about his decision to do what he thought best for his children... ROFL!

houghtam
08-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Wait, I thought that your ZIP Code didn't help determine where you would end up in life?

B-Large
08-13-2013, 12:52 PM

http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/milwaukee-school-choice-beats-the-alternative-p68doeu-187369091.html

I actually like the idea of school choice, and I know my parent would have liked to use their tax money to help fund my private catholic education. I am not catholic, neither are my parents, but they sent their kid to the best school they could afford.

If your kid doesn't attend a public school, by not credited back a portion of that money to go to another school? Or perhaps all of it? I understand the premise for public education and support thatm, but it appears the results in most schools are not great. Why not try something else?

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 02:05 PM
The average cost of a private school in America is $8,549 per year. Average amount of vouchers discussed in the past is about $4,000 per child.

That will be great for low income families! :rofl:

Anybody who has the money to send their kids to private schools and doesn't do so is a dunce.
http://www.capenet.org/facts.html

BroncoBeavis
08-13-2013, 02:12 PM
The average cost of a private school in America is $8,549 per year. Average amount of vouchers discussed in the past is about $4,000 per child.

Anybody who has the money to send their kids to private schools and doesn't do so is a dunce.

Let's not talk about foot-in-the-door past proposals. Look at the reality...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/oecd-education-report_n_3496875.html

The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system – more than any other nation covered in the report.

Education isn't underfunded. It's mismanaged.

BroncoBeavis
08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/news/opinion/milwaukee-school-choice-beats-the-alternative-p68doeu-187369091.html

I actually like the idea of school choice, and I know my parent would have liked to use their tax money to help fund my private catholic education. I am not catholic, neither are my parents, but they sent their kid to the best school they could afford.

If your kid doesn't attend a public school, by not credited back a portion of that money to go to another school? Or perhaps all of it? I understand the premise for public education and support thatm, but it appears the results in most schools are not great. Why not try something else?

Great teachers would be sought after and better compensated. Terrible teachers would be left out. Schools would be scratching at each other for the best talent and programs to maintain or grow enrollment. Schools could no longer afford to keep old burnouts who get paid not on their ability, but on how many years they can ride a chair.

Seems like a no-brainer. The only real opposition to it is based on fear and entrenched failure.

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
Let's not talk about foot-in-the-door past proposals. Look at the reality...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/25/oecd-education-report_n_3496875.html

Education isn't underfunded. It's mismanaged.

I'll agree with that. The average school administrator gets a six figure income. The average teacher gets paid about the same as the average waiter.

TonyR
08-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Great teachers would be sought after and better compensated. Terrible teachers would be left out.

As an aside, I heard the other day that one silver lining of this ongoing economic downturn (particularly with respect to employment) is that a lot of "good people" have gone into teaching because they can't get employment elsewhere. So, people that my have eschewed teaching because they wanted to make better money may now consider teaching.

houghtam
08-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Great teachers would be sought after and better compensated. Terrible teachers would be left out. Schools would be scratching at each other for the best talent and programs to maintain or grow enrollment. Schools could no longer afford to keep old burnouts who get paid not on their ability, but on how many years they can ride a chair.

Seems like a no-brainer. The only real opposition to it is based on fear and entrenched failure.

Sounds a lot like how some of us feel about gun control laws.

BroncoBeavis
08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
I'll agree with that. The average school administrator gets a six figure income. The average teacher gets paid about the same as the average waiter.

If they're just starting out, probably less than a good waiter. We're honestly lucky that there are a ton of good teachers out there motivated almost entirely by altruism.

B-Large
08-13-2013, 02:57 PM

I would agree. Once people get a fire lit under their ass, they tend to raise the bar or simple move on. We have tenured professors here at the hospital, some of them are paid a **** load, they barely see patients, barely teach, barely raise a finger because they have been able to get locked in and there is no more expectation to produce. The younger guys are working their butts off to build their departments, get chair positions, get endowments and further their research and prestige.... the incentive is to produce and benefit, but just punch the clock.

I would think we want to induce a little competitive spirit in Education a well, only because when kids leave school they realize life and jobs markets are competitive... if you incent teachers and schools to challenge each other, it wil be infectious in students, they are not stupid they know what is going on.

I am sure School Choice has its warts just like any other endeavor, but why not knowck down the barrier and let schools go at it, raise the bar and produce better students and results? Because we have always done it the other way is just not a good enough excuse anymore...

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Don't know if everybody has seen this yet. Take a few moments. It's worth it:

<iframe src="http://embed.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-13-2013, 03:09 PM

Still don't get it. LOL

Requiem
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM
And you are still a cumstain, Hobo. Congrats.

B-Large
08-13-2013, 03:52 PM
And you are still a cumstain, Hobo. Congrats.

lol... that was funny

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Shouldn't "cumstain" be hyphenated?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
08-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Well this "cumstain" still has out smarted you guys. LOL

Rohirrim
08-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Well this "cumstain" still has out smarted you guys. LOL

How's that?

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun