PDA

View Full Version : A brave veteran Baltimore teacher tells the truth

txtebow
08-06-2013, 07:16 AM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/a-brave-baltimore-teacher-speaks-the-truth-about-schools-students/article/2533752?custom_click=rss

"I have taught in the Baltimore public school system for the past two decades. What we need is better students. We have many excellent teachers. I cannot count the number of students who have physically destroyed property in the schools.

"They have trashed brand new computers, destroyed exit signs, set multiple fires, destroyed many, many lockers, stolen teachers' school supplies, written their filth on the tops of classroom desks, defecated in the bathrooms and stairwells, assaulted teachers (beyond constantly telling them to perform certain impossible acts upon themselves) and refused to do any homework or class work.

"Need I go any further? I won't even bother addressing the other 'causes' you listed. Too inane. In summary, the problem seems to be a total disregard for life that exists not only in our crime-ridden city, but also in all of the major cities throughout the United States.

"So, go blame other root causes, but please leave our city police, prosecutors and teachers out of the finger wagging."

baja
08-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Just a natural progression of a broken decaying society on the verge of collapse.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Everyone wants a free ride. He's mostly right, and I agree with the sentiment up until "Leave Us Teachers Alone!" becomes his final answer.

The problem really is 90% moral decay. But there are still some really ****ty and even negligent teachers out there who not only can't be fired, but whose pay scale often pays them as well as the teacher of the year next door.

But at the end of the day, for the children's real problems, there is no easy fix.

B-Large
08-06-2013, 08:45 AM
You have to feel bad for the kids who show up that school everyday, want to learn, and have to deal with that stuff. Its part of the reason why I believe more school choice is a good idea.

baja
08-06-2013, 08:53 AM
I would have to home school if I had school age children in today's United States.

http://www.infowars.com/28-signs-that-u-s-public-schools-are-rapidly-being-turned-into-indoctrination-centers-and-prison-camps/

28 Signs That US Public Schools Are Rapidly Being Turned Into Indoctrination Centers And Prison Camps

http://www.infowars.com/common-core-nationalizes-and-dumbs-down-public-school-curriculum/

‘Common Core’ Nationalizes and Dumbs Down Public School Curriculum

Crushaholic
08-06-2013, 09:29 AM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/a-brave-baltimore-teacher-speaks-the-truth-about-schools-students/article/2533752?custom_click=rss

"I have taught in the Baltimore public school system for the past two decades. What we need is better students. We have many excellent teachers. I cannot count the number of students who have physically destroyed property in the schools.

"They have trashed brand new computers, destroyed exit signs, set multiple fires, destroyed many, many lockers, stolen teachers' school supplies, written their filth on the tops of classroom desks, defecated in the bathrooms and stairwells, assaulted teachers (beyond constantly telling them to perform certain impossible acts upon themselves) and refused to do any homework or class work.

"Need I go any further? I won't even bother addressing the other 'causes' you listed. Too inane. In summary, the problem seems to be a total disregard for life that exists not only in our crime-ridden city, but also in all of the major cities throughout the United States.

"So, go blame other root causes, but please leave our city police, prosecutors and teachers out of the finger wagging."

It still goes back to a lack of parenting. These kids have no respect for authority, or property that doesn't belong to them...

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 09:32 AM
The day I accept anything printed in the buttwipe known as the Washington Examiner is the day I turn in my brain. I have a son in high school. This article is :bs:

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Being poor is not an excuse to act like crap. That's something much of the political left still don't understand.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 09:37 AM
It still goes back to a lack of parenting. These kids have no respect for authority, or property that doesn't belong to them...

Dare I be accused yet again by certain members of this forum of blaming things on the political left, but such rebellion became "in" beginning in the 1960s from the radicals. Eschew authority, ignore the values instruction of your parents and elders, and give an ear to the radicals on how things are. Rebel against the establishment, rebel against society. Just rebel.

And this is basically the result.

Requiem
08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
I am sure glad I went to a school in rural America with one teacher for us six kids.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Dare I be accused yet again by certain members of this forum of blaming things on the political left, but such rebellion became "in" beginning in the 1960s from the radicals. Eschew authority, ignore the values instruction of your parents and elders, and give an ear to the radicals on how things are. Rebel against the establishment, rebel against society. Just rebel.

Yeah. Frustrated old bags posting naked pictures of Geraldo Rivera. Hey! You kids get off of my lawn!

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 09:59 AM

I think this has more to do with the lack of values instruction than any rebellion against it. Its worst in the inner cities but a growing problem everywhere.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 10:14 AM
BTW, for those who want to keep blaming everything on the Sixties, I have a news flash: They lost. The so-called hippies (or whatever you want to call them) marched and protested for a world of peace, harmony, inclusion, environmental responsibility and economic equality. Their movement was crushed and replaced by a world of constant war, segregation, greed, environmental degradation and the worst economic disparity in history. To blame what has happened in America on "The Sixties" is to have your head so firmly up your ass that only the high decibel noise of Fox News can reach your ****-plugged ears.

baja
08-06-2013, 10:19 AM

NO! They act out because they hold little hope for a future. They have nothing to believe in why should they care about school? To what end? And don't tell me higher education better job because neither I or them believe you.

You got PHD's flippen burgers for Christ's sake.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 10:28 AM
BTW, for those who want to keep blaming everything on the Sixties, I have a news flash: They lost. The so-called hippies (or whatever you want to call them) marched and protested for a world of peace, harmony, inclusion, environmental responsibility and economic equality. Their movement was crushed and replaced by a world of constant war, segregation, greed, environmental degradation and the worst economic disparity in history. To blame what has happened in America on "The Sixties" is to have your head so firmly up your ass that only the high decibel noise of Fox News can reach your ****-plugged ears.

Not sure you can say they 'lost' so much as they went on the payroll. :)

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Not sure you can say they 'lost' so much as they went on the payroll. :)

Some sold out. Some got crushed. The last gasp of the Left in America took place in the Jimmy Carter administration. America has been Right Wing ever since.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Some sold out. Some got crushed. The last gasp of the Left in America took place in the Jimmy Carter administration. America has been Right Wing ever since.

Uh wtf?

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 10:38 AM
NO! They act out because they hold little hope for a future. They have nothing to believe in why should they care about school? To what end? And don't tell me higher education better job because neither I or them believe you.

You got PHD's flippen burgers for Christ's sake.

Yes, after they don't need a white man's education and ****.

How many with grad degrees would we have flipping burgers if we weren't exporting tech jobs and importing cheap tech labor?

Acting out because of little hope for the future is a Marxist canard. I grew up poor, raised by a single mother. We were on welfare. She taught us to be clean and not act like ****. Why is this unreasonable?

baja
08-06-2013, 10:43 AM

How many with grad degrees would we have flipping burgers if we weren't exporting tech jobs and importing cheap tech labor?

Acting out because of little hope for the future is a Marxist canard. I grew up poor, raised by a single mother. We were on welfare. She taught us to be clean and not act like ****. Why is this unreasonable?

Different times different vision.

What happens to the thin veneer of society when it loses it values? It gets gaping holes appearing in the sheath.

TonyR
08-06-2013, 10:46 AM
I think this has more to do with the lack of values instruction than any rebellion against it. Its worst in the inner cities but a growing problem everywhere.

Exactly. nyuk's attempts to blame this on "liberalism" is a nasty mix of ignorance and stupidity.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Part of what they wanted was communism (economic equality IS communism so I assume you're outing yourself here as a communist). What you're also ignoring is the ongoing trashing of traditional morality, traditional family structure, traditional anything at all anywhere. So what we now have are a bunch of young people totally alienated from their roots and their elders and think their country is the embodiment of evil, thus looking to cling to anything BUT their country and traditions as a means to form their identities. They've turned into a bunch of self-loathing xenocentrists. In short, rejection of and rebellion against their elders, their country, their traditions, their heritage, authority, and sobriety. They tend to support any political movement or country that the US government sees as a problem. They inflate the misdeeds of the US and ignore or downplay those of everyone else. It goes on and on. Up with Hizbollah and Hamas, down with Israel.

Rebellion against their country and their elders has become more than just a fringe movement and is now not only an identity and way of life, it's the new youth mainstream culture. An upraised middle finger at society is the new sign of righteousness.

But hey, it's cool and **** cause like they were hugging trees and **** and stuff. You overlook the intentionally culturally and socially destructive aspect of the left's strategy, and THAT is what I'm referring to. They want to tear down society - in toto - and rebuild it in their image. Even the most lunatic theocratic Christian bigmouths on the reservations were never that bat **** crazy.

Unfortunately, I don't watch any cable news networks. But then again, the Fox News rumble is just another lefty canard. Please, continue.

TonyR
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
They act out because they hold little hope for a future. They have nothing to believe in why should they care about school? To what end?

Yup. That and they never learn to respect themselves or others because they're never respected themselves. If you're raised like an animal you're gonna be an animal.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Different times different vision.

What happens to the thin veneer of society when it loses it values? It gets gaping holes appearing in the sheath.

Yes but that isn't coming from poverty. What people experience today is NOTHING like what was seen in the Dust Bowl days. I see nobody here living off of tumbleweeds and wild rabbits for years at a time. Back then we had an intact culture and social and familial system that had yet to be undermined.

What you see today is coming from culture rot and the left's endless attempts to delegitimize traditional American society, social structure, values, and familial relations.

Once a young person views those as grotesque, there's that gaping void looking up at you, waiting to be filled with rhetoric.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Yup. That and they never learn to respect themselves or others because they're never respected themselves. If you're raised like an animal you're gonna be an animal.

Would you blame this on society or parenting?

Rohirrim
Part of what they wanted was communism (economic equality IS communism so I assume you're outing yourself here as a communist). What you're also ignoring is the ongoing trashing of traditional morality, traditional family structure, traditional anything at all anywhere. So what we now have are a bunch of young people totally alienated from their roots and their elders and think their country is the embodiment of evil, thus looking to cling to anything BUT their country and traditions as a means to form their identities. They've turned into a bunch of self-loathing xenocentrists. In short, rejection of and rebellion against their elders, their country, their traditions, their heritage, authority, and sobriety. They tend to support any political movement or country that the US government sees as a problem. They inflate the misdeeds of the US and ignore or downplay those of everyone else. It goes on and on. Up with Hizbollah and Hamas, down with Israel.

Rebellion against their country and their elders has become more than just a fringe movement and is now not only an identity and way of life, it's the new youth mainstream culture. An upraised middle finger at society is the new sign of righteousness.

But hey, it's cool and **** cause like they were hugging trees and **** and stuff. You overlook the intentionally culturally and socially destructive aspect of the left's strategy, and THAT is what I'm referring to. They want to tear down society - in toto - and rebuild it in their image. Even the most lunatic theocratic Christian bigmouths on the reservations were never that bat **** crazy.

Unfortunately, I don't watch any cable news networks. But then again, the Fox News rumble is just another lefty canard. Please, continue.

All I can say is, it's obviously been a long time since you've been around any young people. What an irrational train load of bull****.

BroncoBeavis
Would you blame this on society or parenting?

What's the difference?

TonyR
08-06-2013, 10:55 AM

Because many poor kids weren't raised by mothers who taught them "to be clean and not act like ****", but instead had mothers who weren't clean and acted like ****. If they even had their mothers in their lives. Is this really that difficult to understand? As bad as you may have had it (even though the plight you mentioned is probably as phony as much of what you say about yourself) there are many who had/have it much worse.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Oh noes! Thugs in the classrooms! Our society is falling apart!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HA0_NRjx9KQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm tellin' ya. It's that goddamn rock and roll. It's like a disease! It's communism!

baja
08-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Yes but that isn't coming from poverty. What people experience today is NOTHING like what was seen in the Dust Bowl days. I see nobody here living off of tumbleweeds and wild rabbits for years at a time. Back then we had an intact culture and social and familial system that had yet to be undermined.

What you see today is coming from culture rot and the left's endless attempts to delegitimize traditional American society, social structure, values, and familial relations.

Once a young person views those as grotesque, there's that gaping void looking up at you, waiting to be filled with rhetoric.

I wish this situation had a left / right solution but it does not.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
What's the difference?

I hope this is a troll post.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:00 AM
I wish this situation had a left / right solution but it does not.

Its cause is very left-wing, whether people like to think of that or not. The right have not invested decades into undermining American society from the top down.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm tellin' ya. It's that goddamn rock and roll. It's like a disease! It's communism!

Music in and of itself isn't a disease. If a type of music intentionally creates a social scene that promotes poor values, such as we see today, then that's another story.

Some of the worst values for whatever odd reason are being promoted in hip hop and rap. How can anyone say those negative messages aren't impacting the minds of the young? We need to start enforcing obscenity laws. :approve:

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
I hope this is a troll post.

No, not really. Parenting, literally and figuratively, is a big part of society. Probably the most important thing it does.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Its cause is very left-wing, whether people like to think of that or not. The right have not invested decades into undermining American society from the top down.

You're not doing much for American traditional values on this family open board with that avatar of yours. Somewhat immoral, don't you think? BTW, I used to know that guy when he was Jerry Rivers in L.A. Man! Was he a Lefty back then! He made his name uncovering the corruption and abuse in mental hospitals. He helped to drive the movement that emptied our mental hospitals into the streets. :rofl:

baja
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
All I can say is, it's obviously been a long time since you've been around any young people. What an irrational train load of bull****.

This is not a disease it is a symptom of a disease.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Because many poor kids weren't raised by mothers who taught them "to be clean and not act like ****", but instead had mothers who weren't clean and acted like ****. If they even had their mothers in their lives. Is this really that difficult to understand? As bad as you may have had it (even though the plight you mentioned is probably as phony as much of what you say about yourself) there are many who had/have it much worse.

Of course because I'm secretly a silver spooner that lives in Cherry Hills Village between John Elway and Peyton Manning. You don't like my views, therefore I probably haven't suffered much of anything in life. I totally understand.

There's another issue that opens up here. Again, it wasn't members of the political right who have spent the last several decades attacking people who spoke up about poor behavior and told them to "mind their ****ing business." So now people in communities who used to scold neighborhood children and report them for misbehavior do nothing, and those with poor supervision at home have none of the street.

You gotta love that political left.

As far as kids with ****ty parents go, as adults it's on them and nobody else to question their values and observe themselves for mistakes in their perception and attitudes. If they don't bother and blindly continue going along with some perception of life they picked up as a 12 year old, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:08 AM
You're not doing much for American traditional values on this family open board with that avatar of yours. Somewhat immoral, don't you think? BTW, I used to know that guy when he was Jerry Rivers in L.A. Man! Was he a Lefty back then! He made his name uncovering the corruption and abuse in mental hospitals. He helped to drive the movement that emptied our mental hospitals into the streets. :rofl:

Because a gag avatar actually has that much meaning. He's still a lefty. He's still a moonbat, and as you can see by the avatar, he's still a joke.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 11:09 AM
No, not really. Parenting, literally and figuratively, is a big part of society. Probably the most important thing it does.

Parents and society are two different things. It matters because of the tendency of some to blame society for personally ****ty behavior.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Music in and of itself isn't a disease. If a type of music intentionally creates a social scene that promotes poor values, such as we see today, then that's another story.

Some of the worst values for whatever odd reason are being promoted in hip hop and rap. How can anyone say those negative messages aren't impacting the minds of the young? We need to start enforcing obscenity laws. :approve:

You think hip hop is Lefty? You're a little confused, aren't you? Hip hop is totally materialistic.

baja
08-06-2013, 11:48 AM
You think hip hop is Lefty? You're a little confused, aren't you? Hip hop is totally materialistic.

and you think 'lefty' isn't?

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 11:57 AM
and you think 'lefty' isn't?

Not by my definition. Of course, the meaning of a word like "materialistic" is completely subjective. Would Buddha's definition be the same as Thoreau's? After all, Thoreau had a cabin. ;D

W*GS
08-06-2013, 12:31 PM
The OP is a troll. As are all the comments from the right-wing knuckle-dragging trogs.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Hip hop and rap - the modern version at least - is full of socially immoral, destructive behavior and promotes such. Not left, as in anticapitalist left, not that far left. Liberal as in lockstep Democrats? Nearly always, yes. With very, very little exception.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 12:40 PM
The OP is a troll. As are all the comments from the right-wing knuckle-dragging trogs.

It has to be, you don't like them. Therefore all comments are invalid because you have declared them such. Wow, you're a smart cookie, brah.

:kiss:

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Parents and society are two different things. It matters because of the tendency of some to blame society for personally ****ty behavior.

We're talking about widespread anarchy in schools here. That's not a mark against each individual, but on society at large.

Failing societies produce failing parents. That's not to take each individual off the hook in any way. But at some point you have to look at the patterns and say that there's more to it than just a few individuals' poor choices. As a team, we're failing. And there are no easy answers.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 12:54 PM
We're talking about widespread anarchy in schools here. That's not a mark against each individual, but on society at large.

Failing societies produce failing parents. That's not to take each individual off the hook in any way. But at some point you have to look at the patterns and say that there's more to it than just a few individuals' poor choices. As a team, we're failing. And there are no easy answers.

Ah but even before such behavior became epidemic, society was still being blamed for juvenile delinquency. I've seen some of it on this forum in the past couple days. Society "makes" people go bonkers and criminalistic because they're poor, to copy an old Marxist canard which teaches that abolishing capitalism we can abolish the jails.

There are widespread failings in family values which are causing social failures, yes, I don't doubt that. But to say society itself is at fault for these behaviors, I do not accept. As I have pointed out here and have been demonized before, a parent in the home - I don't care if man or woman - teaching values to the children on a close contact basis is far superior than to dropping a kid off at daycare where all they care about is that little Johnny doesn't stick his finger in a light socket while he internalizes garbage from the television. Part of that, in my humble opinion, is a result of mass immigration lowering American wages forcing two parents to work while at the same time other well-paying jobs like manufacturing are being sent overseas. Overall incomes are down since the 70s and here we are.

W*GS
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
It has to be, you don't like them. Therefore all comments are invalid because you have declared them such. Wow, you're a smart cookie, brah.

You and the other trogs are just trying to excuse your anti-black racism, without the honesty of wearing the pointy white hoods. In a sick way, that makes you even more contemptible than the blatant bigots.

W*GS
08-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Overall incomes are down since the 70s and here we are.

Only the working poor and the middle class incomes are down since the Right achieved ideological supremacy.

Exactly as intended.

Look in the ****ing mirror, pud.

B-Large
08-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Hip hop and rap - the modern version at least - is full of socially immoral, destructive behavior and promotes such. Not left, as in anticapitalist left, not that far left. Liberal as in lockstep Democrats? Nearly always, yes. With very, very little exception.

Hair Bands were heavy drinking, heavy drugging and promiscous group of sex pots who reached the Kids of the 80's... are they immoral as well?

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 01:15 PM
Hair Bands were heavy drinking, heavy drugging and promiscous group of sex pots who reached the Kids of the 80's... are they immoral as well?

Hip hop was an example. Not the only group doing it. It also includes 60s counterculture rock and 70s hippies. Why would I exclude others doing it? The crap in modern hip hop far outweighs most garbage previous to it. Before then, I don't know of anyone glamorizing street gang life.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Young rebellion is timeless. :)

But that always passes in time. It's the example we leave for the kids to turn back to after the hangover phase that we need to worry about.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Only the working poor and the middle class incomes are down since the Right achieved ideological supremacy.

Exactly as intended.

Look in the ****ing mirror, pud.

Both parties have shipped in millions upon millions of low wage workers and have shipped out millions of well-paying jobs. How that can be debated is beyond me, unless you're saying Democrats were emasculated and somehow forced to do all this against their will, just like they're currently forced to push for amnesty of ****loads more millions of dirt cheap laborers as a way of getting more votes.

But then again, the pro-worker of the Democratic party has become an endangered species anyway, and for obvious reasons. If they're for any workers, it's for Mexican ones. Not Americans.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
You and the other trogs are just trying to excuse your anti-black racism, without the honesty of wearing the pointy white hoods. In a sick way, that makes you even more contemptible than the blatant bigots.

I point out your crapping on everyone you disagree with by calling them liars by default and somehow that makes me a racist. Well that's impressive.

:yayaya:

W*GS
08-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Hip hop was an example. Not the only group doing it. It also includes 60s counterculture rock and 70s hippies.

And the 50s "rock and roll" with its carnal hip movements and obvious derivation from Negro-ridden reefer-fueled "jazz".

And the 40s Frank Sinatra, that no-good Mafia buddy.

And the 20s "flappers" with their vulgar "Charleston" and cigarette smoking.

Just how far ****ing back do you want to turn the clock?

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 01:38 PM
And the 50s "rock and roll" with its carnal hip movements and obvious derivation from Negro-ridden reefer-fueled "jazz".

And the 40s Frank Sinatra, that no-good Mafia buddy.

And the 20s "flappers" with their vulgar "Charleston" and cigarette smoking.

Just how far ****ing back do you want to turn the clock?

What does that have to do with modern hip hop glamorizing criminality and gangs to young Americans? Is it really wrong to ask the government to enforce existing obscenity laws to put a stop to such crap? Seriously? Does this threaten you or something?

Does it be raciss and sheet? :~ohyah!: :giggle:

W*GS
08-06-2013, 01:46 PM
What does that have to do with modern hip hop glamorizing criminality and gangs to young Americans? Is it really wrong to ask the government to enforce existing obscenity laws to put a stop to such crap?

You still haven't figured out that the more attention you draw to something, the more popular it becomes.

Obviously, you don't have a whole lot of respect for freedom of speech, as is typical of conservatives.

Hard to believe that so much wrong can be put into such short comments on your part.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Frankly, I don't know what "liberal" Democrats stand for anymore. I'm surprised that you think you do. As far as I can tell, they stand for nothing. I consider myself a Teddy Roosevelt Progressive. What that means is not anti-capitalism, but well regulated capitalism and a Square Deal for every American. In other words, a level playing field and rules to the game that everyone must follow. Of course, to you rabid Right Wingers, anything short of out and out piracy is considered communism. Ha!

Hip hop is pure, unadulterated materialism.

Requiem
08-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Hating on hip-hop is lame.

BroncoBeavis
08-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Frankly, I don't know what "liberal" Democrats stand for anymore. I'm surprised that you think you do. As far as I can tell, they stand for nothing. I consider myself a Teddy Roosevelt Progressive. What that means is not anti-capitalism, but well regulated capitalism and a Square Deal for every American. In other words, a level playing field and rules to the game that everyone must follow. Of course, to you rabid Right Wingers, anything short of out and out piracy is considered communism. Ha!

I thought you told us you were a socialist? :)

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Hating on hip-hop is lame.

Pay attention. I was "hating" on degenerate lyrics that glamorize criminality, crime, and promiscuity. Read closer.

nyuk nyuk
08-06-2013, 03:18 PM

A "square deal" is a vague and subjective term, thus a meaningless one. I have no problem with well-regulated capitalism. It's what I want. What I have no interest in are "square deals" defined by the subjective views of especially people on the political left, whatever stripe they may be. I can almost feel myself being pick pocketed...

El Minion
08-06-2013, 04:16 PM
What does that have to do with modern hip hop glamorizing criminality and gangs to young Americans? Is it really wrong to ask the government to enforce existing obscenity laws to put a stop to such crap? Seriously? Does this threaten you or something?

Tipper Gore, "Go on..."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Tipper_Gore.jpg/200px-Tipper_Gore.jpg

Arkie
08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

It's the devil's music. Before that it was heavy metal, preceded by rock and roll, preceded by jazz. I think the devil enjoyed bluegrass too, but I could be mistaken.

houghtam
08-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Interesting. So obscenity laws don't violate the First Amendment, but gun control laws violate the Second Amendment?

Explain, please.

W*GS
08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Pay attention. I was "hating" on degenerate lyrics that glamorize criminality, crime, and promiscuity. Read closer.

"Promiscuity" being defined as anything intimate other than missionary-style-in-the-dark-between-a-married-couple-and-done-as-quickly-as-possible-because-its-icky.

Typical right-wing hangup about sex.

TonyR
08-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Interesting. So obscenity laws don't violate the First Amendment, but gun control laws violate the Second Amendment?

Explain, please.

Clearly words are more dangerous than assault weapons! Duh! :rofl:

houghtam
08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Clearly words are more dangerous than assault weapons! Duh! :rofl:

Yeah, especially when they don't go along with your puritan world view.

Rohirrim
08-06-2013, 07:25 PM
A "square deal" is a vague and subjective term, thus a meaningless one. I have no problem with well-regulated capitalism. It's what I want. What I have no interest in are "square deals" defined by the subjective views of especially people on the political left, whatever stripe they may be. I can almost feel myself being pick pocketed...

Americans had no problem knowing exactly what "square deal" meant at the time TR brought it up. Maybe a few people, like you, might need pie charts. They saw the massive excesses of greed at the top and knew there had to be a change for the survival of the country. Funny how things go full circle in such a short time. Of course, every time you put the Right, and their ideology of greed in charge, you can expect the economy to crash.

Requiem
08-06-2013, 09:59 PM

You speak a lot about the intentions of a community you have no serious immersion in. Pretty sad.

Fedaykin
08-06-2013, 10:13 PM
An entire threat devoted to The Usual Suspects (TM) engaging in some good 'ole Golden Age Fallacy.

Fascinating.

nyuk nyuk
08-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Tipper Gore, "Go on..."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/42/Tipper_Gore.jpg/200px-Tipper_Gore.jpg

No, dear. They existed long before she came along.

nyuk nyuk
08-07-2013, 04:59 AM
You speak a lot about the intentions of a community you have no serious immersion in. Pretty sad.

Wait - didn't you have me on ignore? Perhaps you should have kept me there since clearly all you can do is talk to or about me in angry one-liner posts.

nyuk nyuk
08-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Americans had no problem knowing exactly what "square deal" meant at the time TR brought it up. Maybe a few people, like you, might need pie charts. They saw the massive excesses of greed at the top and knew there had to be a change for the survival of the country. Funny how things go full circle in such a short time. Of course, every time you put the Right, and their ideology of greed in charge, you can expect the economy to crash.

Greed comes in many forms, including people voting themselves free things.

txtebow
08-07-2013, 05:55 AM
Oh noes! Thugs in the classrooms! Our society is falling apart!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HA0_NRjx9KQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This from an era when acting up in school was comprised of directing spitballs at your classmates and telling the teacher that your dog ate your homework...you're making false equivalency my friend.

houghtam
08-07-2013, 06:07 AM
This from an era when acting up in school was comprised of directing spitballs at your classmates and telling the teacher that your dog ate your homework or physically assaulting someone while forcibly shaving their hair because you think they're gay.

FYP

BroncoBeavis
08-07-2013, 06:37 AM
An entire threat devoted to The Usual Suspects (TM) engaging in some good 'ole Golden Age Fallacy.

Fascinating.

No different than the mythical middle-class golden age we're constantly hearing about.

Rohirrim
08-07-2013, 07:01 AM
This from an era when acting up in school was comprised of directing spitballs at your classmates and telling the teacher that your dog ate your homework...you're making false equivalency my friend.

Bull****. Inner city schools were just as bad then as they are now. Back then, knives were the weapon of choice. Now, guns are cheap enough. It's poverty. Poverty breeds societal chaos. And I ain't your friend.

BroncoBeavis
08-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Poverty breeds societal chaos.

Or societal chaos breeds poverty. Or more likely, both.

Rohirrim
08-07-2013, 07:13 AM
Or societal chaos breeds poverty. Or more likely, both.

Wrong again, Garibaldi. Poverty is a result of politics.

BroncoBeavis
08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Wrong again, Garibaldi. Poverty is a result of politics.

LOL

Yeah, everyone's a victim. That is, the ones who aren't victimizers anyway. Black and White. Black and White.

Rohirrim
08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
LOL

Yeah, everyone's a victim. That is, the ones who aren't victimizers anyway. Black and White. Black and White.

Sorry. I took a course on food and world poverty in college and the professor at the start of the class said, "World poverty is a result of political decisions." Nobody believed him. By the end of the term, he had proved it.

Fedaykin
08-07-2013, 11:23 AM
No different than the mythical middle-class golden age we're constantly hearing about.

Cute attempt at changing the subject.

BroncoBeavis
08-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry. I took a course on food and world poverty in college and the professor at the start of the class said, "World poverty is a result of political decisions." Nobody believed him. By the end of the term, he had proved it.

Well that's certainly scientific. :)

Is there an argument in there?

Arkie
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM

That was when blacks weren't allowed to attend white schools, and they had to be across the bridge by dark in the county my dad grew up in.

txtebow
08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Bull****. Inner city schools were just as bad then as they are now. Back then, knives were the weapon of choice. Now, guns are cheap enough. It's poverty. Poverty breeds societal chaos. And I ain't your friend.

Absolutley ****ING delusional.

And although it doesn't speak directly to the LACK of violence and higher educational accomplishments of American children in the 1950's and 60's as compared to the last decade or 2, the link below does offer some good information.

http://www.crf-usa.org/school-violence/causes-of-school-violence.html

txtebow
08-07-2013, 06:03 PM
http://broadeducation.org/about/crisis_stats.html

American students are not learning the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in todayís world.

Two out of three eighth-graders canít read proficiently and most will never catch up. (NAEP, 2011) (NAEP, 2011)
Nearly two-thirds of eighth-graders scored below proficient in math. (NAEP, 2011)
Seventy-five percent of students are not proficient in civics. (NAEP, 2011)
Nearly three out of four eighth-and 12th-grade students cannot write proficiently. (NAEP, 2012)
Some 1.1 million American students drop out of school every year. (EPE, 2012)
For African-American and Hispanic students across the country, dropout rates are close to 40 percent, compared to the national average of 27 percent. (EPE, 2012)

Our public school students trail their peers in most other industrialized nations.

After World War II, the United States had the #1 high school graduation rate in the world. Today, we have dropped to # 22 among 27 industrialized nations. (OECD, 2012)
American students rank 25th in math, 17th in science and 14th in reading compared to students in 27 industrialized countries.(OECD, 2012)
By the end of the eighth-grade, U.S. students are two years behind in math compared to their peers in other countries. (OECD, 2009)
The U.S. ranks behind 13 other countries in terms of the percentage of 25-34 year-olds who have completed some college coursework

more at link

orinjkrush
08-07-2013, 06:48 PM
hard to say if "our" society is devolving or evolving. old folks worry about this since, um, Rome. All I know is I don't think I could pass this 1895 eighth grade test:

http://www.wyattcox.net/test_1895.jpg

El Minion
08-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Try this Literacy Test (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/06/28/voting_rights_and_the_supreme_court_the_impossible _literacy_test_louisiana.html) given to Black Voters in the 1960's by Louisiana to suppress and deny them self determination.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test1.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test2.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test3.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

txtebow
08-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Try this Literacy Test (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2013/06/28/voting_rights_and_the_supreme_court_the_impossible _literacy_test_louisiana.html) given to Black Voters in the 1960's by Louisiana to suppress and deny them self determination.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test1.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test2.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_vault/2013/6/28/Test3.jpg.CROP.article920-large.jpg

Neat find! I think this should be required for registration of EVERY VOTER! :)

Fedaykin
08-07-2013, 07:31 PM

You'd like a test that is expressly designed to disqualify as many people as possible -- regardless of actual competence to vote -- administered to every voter?

ghwk
08-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Let me guess you grew up white. How do you think it would have played out if you were black? Now really try to experience black before you answer that.

txtebow
08-08-2013, 06:19 AM
You'd like a test that is expressly designed to disqualify as many people as possible -- regardless of actual competence to vote -- administered to every voter?

"Regardless of actual competence to vote?"

I think that an adequate IQ level is an invaluable asset in a republic that functions by it's citizenry taking part in elections. I think that an adequate level of intelligence as defined by a simple test like this is essential. Otherwise this person's vote counts as much as yours:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tpAOwJvTOio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

houghtam
08-08-2013, 06:39 AM

I think that an adequate IQ level is an invaluable asset in a republic that functions by it's citizenry taking part in elections. I think that an adequate level of intelligence as defined by a simple test like this is essential. Otherwise this person's vote counts as much as yours:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tpAOwJvTOio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*its

El Minion
08-08-2013, 10:43 AM
*its

Hoisted by his own petard!

Arkie
08-08-2013, 10:50 AM

Then you couldn't vote. Try to answer those questions correctly. It's impossible.

For example, question 1 wants you to draw a line around a number. A line is the shortest distance between points A and B. It's not curved. It can't go around a number. That's drawing a circle instead.

Fedaykin
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM

If you think that voting test has _anything_ to do with testing literacy or intelligence, then you lack the intelligence necessary to vote....

;)

txtebow
08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
If you think that voting test has _anything_ to do with testing literacy or intelligence, then you lack the intelligence necessary to vote....

;)

If you think that NOT having an intelligence test as a necessary tool to achieve the most effective and informed electorate is wise, then you lack the intelligence necessary to vote.

See how that works?

txtebow
08-08-2013, 05:20 PM
*its

You got me. now gimme' my obama phone mother****er....

Requiem
08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
txtebow would likely fail a high school civics exam.

txtebow
08-08-2013, 06:53 PM
txtebow would likely fail a high school civics exam.

It's actually ironic considering what I do for a living and what my college degree is in, but I actually had AP credit for college in both history AND Political Science while in high school.......

houghtam
08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
It's actually ironic considering what I do for a living and what my college degree is in, but I actually had AP credit for college in both history AND Political Science while in high school.......

LOL no.

Being homeschooled does not count.

El Minion
08-09-2013, 03:08 PM
Examples of tests from today and 100 years ago. No wonder we are falling behind today, the anti-intellectualism of conservatives and evangelicals.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/05/09/creationismtest.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/files/2013/07/07_30_2013_8th-grader.jpg

txtebow
08-10-2013, 05:50 AM
Examples of tests from today and 100 years ago. No wonder we are falling behind today, the anti-intellectualism of SOME conservatives and evangelicals.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/05/09/creationismtest.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/smartnews/files/2013/07/07_30_2013_8th-grader.jpg

indeed.