PDA

View Full Version : How Wal-Mart is Remaking Our World

Bacchus
07-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Really good piece!!

Yes, there is the happy-faced "greeter" who welcomes shoppers into every store, and employees (or "associates," as the company grandiosely calls them) gather just before opening each morning for a pep rally, where they are all required to join in the Wal-Mart cheer: "Gimme a W!" shouts the cheerleader; "W!" the dutiful employees respond. "Gimme an A!" And so on.

Behind this manufactured cheerfulness, however, is the fact that the average employee makes only $15,000 a year for full-time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part-time work. While the company brags that 70% of its workers are full-time, at Wal-Mart "full time" is 28 hours a week, meaning they gross less than $11,000 a year.

Health-care benefits? Only if you've been there two years; then the plan hits you with such huge premiums that few can afford it - only 38% of Wal-Marters are covered.

Check out the full article: http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/conspiracy/facts/walmart.html

B-Large
07-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Really good piece!!

Yes, there is the happy-faced "greeter" who welcomes shoppers into every store, and employees (or "associates," as the company grandiosely calls them) gather just before opening each morning for a pep rally, where they are all required to join in the Wal-Mart cheer: "Gimme a W!" shouts the cheerleader; "W!" the dutiful employees respond. "Gimme an A!" And so on.

Behind this manufactured cheerfulness, however, is the fact that the average employee makes only $15,000 a year for full-time work. Most are denied even this poverty income, for they're held to part-time work. While the company brags that 70% of its workers are full-time, at Wal-Mart "full time" is 28 hours a week, meaning they gross less than $11,000 a year.

Health-care benefits? Only if you've been there two years; then the plan hits you with such huge premiums that few can afford it - only 38% of Wal-Marters are covered.

Check out the full article: http://www.hiddenmysteries.org/conspiracy/facts/walmart.html

Yet the parking lots, while filthy and littered with garbage, are typically filled if not overrun.

I went into a Walmart once... that was plenty

Doggcow
07-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I would love to see how much of this countries foodstamps and welfare checks are spent at walmart, since they're basically subsidized by the government.

B-Large
07-19-2013, 02:01 PM
I would love to see how much of this countries foodstamps and welfare checks are spent at walmart, since they're basically subsidized by the government.

I assume mostly all of them?

baja
07-19-2013, 08:21 PM
Really good piece!!

Read this book;

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51821AMGQML._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-The-High-Cost-Price/dp/B000BTH4K4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374286818&sr=8-1&keywords=the+high+cost+of+low+prices

Rohirrim
07-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Really good piece!!

Every retailer in the country, from Target, to Safeway, to Krogers, etc are following the Walmart model. This is probably a major factor to the rise in food stamps need.

Fedaykin
07-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Every retailer in the country, from Target, to Safeway, to Krogers, etc are following the Walmart model. This is probably a major factor to the rise in food stamps need.

Yep. Something the conservativesw don't get. The more business squeeze profits out by ****ing over their employees, the more those employees become dependent on public assistance.

It's a great short term strategy for the business, but ultimately leads to ruin for both the company and the employees as once every company starts paying their employees ****, they will quickly find themselves with no customers.

Bacchus
07-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Read this book;

http://www.amazon.com/Wal-Mart-The-High-Cost-Price/dp/B000BTH4K4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374286818&sr=8-1&keywords=the+high+cost+of+low+prices

Wasn't that a documentary? I saw a documentary of Wal-Mart. They are so horrible. I live in a small town and literally if you want to by a blender or a toaster Wal-Mart is the only place unless Dollar General happens to have one in stock. I have now started buying all my groceries from H.E.B. but they follow the Wal-Mart model as well.

Rohirrim
07-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Yep. Something the conservativesw don't get. The more business squeeze profits out by ****ing over their employees, the more those employees become dependent on public assistance.

It's a great short term strategy for the business, but ultimately leads to ruin for both the company and the employees as once every company starts paying their employees ****, they will quickly find themselves with no customers.

Americans need to come to the same wake up call the Russians did after their banksters took over: Create a black market economy.

Bacchus
07-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Americans need to come to the same wake up call the Russians did after their banksters took over: Create a black market economy.

When Corporations have taken over and every store is like Wal-Mart how do we turn this around?

razorwire77
07-20-2013, 11:59 AM
When Corporations have taken over and every store is like Wal-Mart how do we turn this around?

In short, we don't. Until there is a complete paradigm shift away from a purely consumption based mindset, we don't. Nothing is going to change as long as a huge swath of the populace of poor and middle class Americans believe that they are just inconvenienced millionaires in waiting. For the past 30 years, we have bought hook, line, and sinker into the supply-side economics long con. Well the con has almost run its course, the stolen silverware has been loaded up in the van and the ****-house is about to go completely up in flames. Just wait until the student loan and revolving credit debt crisis happens. It'll make 2008 look like a golden era.

baja
07-20-2013, 12:07 PM

You have to break some eggs to make a fresh omelet.

We are going to need a new omelet.

Arkie
07-20-2013, 12:52 PM

The Russians had a totally different economy than us. They had price controls on everything leading to shortages, and that made the black market essential to find certain things.

Bacchus
07-21-2013, 11:36 AM
I am proud to say I am debt free for the first time since I was in college. All of my credit card bills are paid, My cars are paid for, student loans are paid. I do have my $700 a month house payment and my kids student loan and that is it. So I guess I am not debt free but almost. I stay away from Wal-mart as much as possible but it is not easy in a small town.

Rohirrim
07-21-2013, 11:37 AM
The Russians had a totally different economy than us. They had price controls on everything leading to shortages, and that made the black market essential to find certain things.

I'm just trying to scare the NSA agents who are monitoring our posts. ;D

baja
07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
I am proud to say I am debt free for the first time since I was in college. All of my credit card bills are paid, My cars are paid for, student loans are paid. I do have my $700 a month house payment and my kids student loan and that is it. So I guess I am not debt free but almost. I stay away from Wal-mart as much as possible but it is not easy in a small town.

I am very happy to say I am 100% debt free

House paid for

Ranch paid for

All cars and trucks paid for

Toys paid for

I have my taxes , utilities and services, food and entertainment as outgoing.

I gotta say it must be scary as hell for many people that have a big nut every month with the quality of live and income going in the wrong direction.

chadta
07-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Wasn't that a documentary? I saw a documentary of Wal-Mart. They are so horrible. I live in a small town and literally if you want to by a blender or a toaster Wal-Mart is the only place unless Dollar General happens to have one in stock. I have now started buying all my groceries from H.E.B. but they follow the Wal-Mart model as well.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2b05ff/
http://www.filefactory.com/file/b2bbcc3/

yes it is a movie

Pony Boy
07-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Love them or hate them but you can't ignore the fact they are the third largest employer in the world.

Wal-Mart stock should be one of the corner stones for any dividend growth investors portfolio.

Bacchus
07-22-2013, 06:04 AM
I am very happy to say I am 100% debt free

House paid for

Ranch paid for

All cars and trucks paid for

Toys paid for

I have my taxes , utilities and services, food and entertainment as outgoing.

I gotta say it must be scary as hell for many people that have a big nut every month with the quality of live and income going in the wrong direction.

That is awesome, I think more Americans are going to move in this direction. The ones that can anyway.

Fedaykin
07-22-2013, 08:19 AM
Love them or hate them but you can't ignore the fact they are the third largest employer in the world.

Wal-Mart stock should be one of the corner stones for any dividend growth investors portfolio.

Invest in the exploitation of workers and local municipalities tax base? No thanks, I don't have a need for that 30 pieces of silver.

B-Large
07-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Read this book;

Also read Cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-High-Cost-Discount-Culture/dp/0143117637/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1374503151&sr=1-1&keywords=cheap

Pony Boy
07-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Invest in the exploitation of workers and local municipalities tax base? No thanks, I don't have a need for that 30 pieces of silver.

When the stock rises to the mid to upper 80s and stays there for an extended period of time, the major stock holders will be screaming for a 2 for 1 stock split. When that happens the value of the stock will usually bottom out in a few weeks or months after the split.

If you have any kids, do them a favor and get off your high-horse and buy them some Wal-Mart stock, years down the road they will say thank you. Wal-Mart is taking over the world.

Fedaykin
07-22-2013, 09:39 AM
When the stock rises to the mid to upper 80s and stays there for an extended period of time, the major stock holders will be screaming for a 2 for 1 stock split. When that happens the value of the stock will usually bottom out in a few weeks or months after the split.

If you have any kids, do them a favor and get off your high-horse and buy them some Wal-Mart stock, years down the road they will say thank you. Wal-Mart is taking over the world.

My investments are doing quite well, thank you.

houghtam
07-22-2013, 10:07 AM

I think raising my kids to earn their own way through life and not rely on the money they can get from me and my investments will illicit more thanks than any of all that.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Hilarious!

B-Large
07-22-2013, 10:33 AM
I think raising my kids to earn their own way through life and not rely on the money they can get from me and my investments will illicit more thanks than any of all that.

I agree...

however, if you are changing you Estate Planning, I'd be glad to take that lump sum... I want as little responsibility in my life as possible.

Pony Boy
07-22-2013, 09:21 PM

So you are saying that you think starting a higher education fund for your children is a bad idea? If and education fund was available to them you would prefer them to borrow the money to teach them personal responsibility?

You are a ****ing idiot if you think you kids will thank you for that lesson in life.

houghtam
07-23-2013, 03:50 AM
So you are saying that you think starting a higher education fund for your children is a bad idea? If and education fund was available to them you would prefer them to borrow the money to teach them personal responsibility?

You are a ****ing idiot if you think you kids will thank you for that lesson in life.

I thanked my parents for mine, my wife hers. Why would our kids be any different? Providing a free no questions asked education for your kids is teaching them to expect everything will be handed to them. They will learn much more by having to earn their way through school and gain credit doing so if they can't pay for tuition entirely with what they make. This will now be the fourth generation this happens with?

Yeah, Fourth. You were saying? Something about my kids? :)

Fedaykin
07-23-2013, 05:49 AM
I thanked my parents for mine, my wife hers. Why would our kids be any different? Providing a free no questions asked education for your kids is teaching them to expect everything will be handed to them. They will learn much more by having to earn their way through school and gain credit doing so if they can't pay for tuition entirely with what they make. This will now be the fourth generation this happens with?

Yeah, Fourth. You were saying? Something about my kids? :)

Come now. We all know personal responsibility starts and ends with daddy paying for everything.

houghtam
07-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Come now. We all know personal responsibility starts and ends with daddy paying for everything.

You know, Fed...

There are 47 percent of the people who will not vote for a Democrat no matter what...who were dependent upon mommy and daddy for everything, who believe that they are victims. ...These are people who pay no inheritance tax. ...and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.

^5

Arkie
07-23-2013, 07:22 AM

That creates dependency. That's the type of person that would choose to live off the public if they didn't have a daddy foot the bill. They may also lose everything daddy worked hard for. Which is worse?--the taxpayers raise the child from cradle to grave, or the daddy takes responsibility (and also pays taxes to help take care of others)

Atwater His Ass
07-23-2013, 07:38 AM
I also paid my way through school, and didn't think I was hard done by my parents. Interest rates are so incredibly low, it cost me next to nothing to pay off. My loan money was also a big part of my living expense income during the school year, which made me manage it better.

A lot of people also make the mistake of thinking they just have to go to school X, when school Y will do just as well for a fraction of the cost. I'd also look into local colleges for the first two years, then transfer once the kid figures out what they want to do.

Lastly, there's also nothing wrong with putting something away to set up a little safety net for your children's education, in case things go bad finiancially. But there's nothing that says they have to know about it.

Fedaykin
07-23-2013, 07:41 AM
That creates dependency. That's the type of person that would choose to live off the public if they didn't have a daddy foot the bill. They may also lose everything daddy worked hard for. Which is worse?--the taxpayers raise the child from cradle to grave, or the daddy takes responsibility (and also pays taxes to help take care of others)

That's not the comparison being made. There is nothing wrong, whatsoever, with borrowing money to pay for school. Nothing wrong with daddy paying for it either. Difference is the latter is absolutely less of a way to teach personal responsibility to your chldren.

Pony Boy
07-23-2013, 12:53 PM
You know, Fed...

There are 47 percent of the people who will not vote for a Democrat no matter what...who were dependent upon mommy and daddy for everything, who believe that they are victims. ...These are people who pay no inheritance tax. ...and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives.

^5

Please tell me how a simple 529 savings plan for your kids or grandkids would be harmful to the future generations in your family? I can see why someone unemployed like you would not need the tax deduction but other than that I'm confused?

barryr
07-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Please tell me how a simple 529 savings plan for your kids or grandkids would be harmful to the future generations in your family? I can see why someone unemployed like you would not need the tax deduction but other than that I'm confused?

Surprising there is no answer since only a dumb one could be made.

Bacchus
07-26-2013, 05:01 AM
You know, Fed...

^5

Good point, and people continue to say that as Mitt Romney got.............. wait for it..................almost there....................... 47% in the 2012 election!!

houghtam
07-26-2013, 06:31 AM

I actually didn't see this, but yeah, thats real entitlement there.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Surprising there is no answer since only a dumb one could be made.

The stupidity is in the question, not the possible answers. I don't recall it being said that it would be harmful, only that it was not a vehicle through which to teach personal responsibility.

Do try to work on your reading comprehension bub. I know that sort of thing is difficult for you, but try anyway.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 06:46 AM
I can see why someone unemployed like you would not need the tax deduction but other than that I'm confused?

I love the bigoted sneering of this statement. As if being a primary caregiver was somehow inferior to being the breadwinner.

Conservative values for you there folks. The only thing that has value is money. Money, money, money.

houghtam
07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
I love the bigoted sneering of this statement. As if being a primary caregiver was somehow inferior to being the breadwinner.

Conservative values for you there folks. The only thing that has value is money. Money, money, money.

Yep. No matter how many times they bring it up, they'll never understand that someone may actually get more out of life raising their kids, that kids may actually get more out of life with a parent who stays at home, and that (gasp) none of us really care about money.

They've brought it up so many times, I can only surmise that it's jealousy or stupidity that drives them.

No surprises there.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 07:12 AM
Yep. No matter how many times they bring it up, they'll never understand that someone may actually get more out of life raising their kids, that kids may actually get more out of life with a parent who stays at home, and that (gasp) none of us really care about money.

They've brought it up so many times, I can only surmise that it's jealousy or stupidity that drives them.

No surprises there.

Frankly, being a caregiver to children, especially young children, isn't something I think I'd be cut out for. I have enough trouble when my dev team just acts like children on occasion.

Plus, if I feel like blowing off an afternoon I can -- no one's going to poke their eye out if I'm away.

Pony Boy
07-26-2013, 07:32 AM
Frankly, being a caregiver to children, especially young children, isn't something I think I'd be cut out for. I have enough trouble when my dev team just acts like children on occasion.

No, he's not a caregiver, he's what they call a go getter, when his wife gets off from work, he'll go get her.

houghtam
07-26-2013, 07:45 AM
No, he's not a caregiver, he's what they call a go getter, when his wife gets off from work, he'll go get her.

LOL

:yayaya:

elsid13
07-26-2013, 07:47 AM
Let's talk about the OP subject and not get off on tangent that steering toward personnel attacks.

I do admire Walmart for their infrastructure and logistic system, it really is world class and it amazing how their can deliver products anywhere in the world in such a short time frame and add in their purchasing power it does give them a competitive advantage that very few world wide can match. The way they treat their employee is whole different matter, but their back office operations are reason they are successful.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 08:06 AM

No one's buying it. Try harder. Or better yet, find some integrity.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 08:08 AM
Let's talk about the OP subject and not get off on tangent that steering toward personnel attacks.

I do admire Walmart for their infrastructure and logistic system, it really is world class and it amazing how their can deliver products anywhere in the world in such a short time frame and add in their purchasing power it does give them a competitive advantage that very few world wide can match. The way they treat their employee is whole different matter, but their back office operations are reason they are successful.

I agree, their logistical system is world class (though certainly not unique). Doesn't make up for the greed, lack of ethics and general abuse that's added on top of that (and mostly likely part of their logistical success too).

Pony Boy
07-26-2013, 08:09 AM

Everyone should read this book, regardless of how you feel about Walmart

houghtam
07-26-2013, 08:14 AM
I agree, their logistical system is world class (though certainly not unique). Doesn't make up for the greed, lack of ethics and general abuse that's added on top of that (and mostly likely part of their logistical success too).

Agreed. Their corporate infrastructure is what allows them to be a successful company. Deplorable business practices are what allow them to squeeze every last drop of soul from their employees, and to some extent their customers.

Fedaykin
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Agreed. Their corporate infrastructure is what allows them to be a successful company. Deplorable business practices are what allow them to squeeze every last drop of soul from their employees, and to some extent their customers.

The infrastructure and logistics is what built Wal-Mart, and huge credit goes to Sam Walton for that stratagem.

But, as with all monopolistic businesses, the corruption that follows the success came in. Walton would probably be appalled at the current state of his company. He always struck me as a decent guy in all that I've read, and more than a decent guy, a great businessmen rather than an MBA working to squeeze as much profit as possible out of his employees and customers.