PDA

View Full Version : GOP Reaching New Lows In Its Scroogedom

Rohirrim
07-15-2013, 08:07 AM
To fully appreciate what just went down, listen to the rhetoric conservatives often use to justify eliminating safety-net programs. It goes something like this: “You’re personally free to help the poor. But the government has no right to take people’s money” — frequently, at this point, they add the words “at the point of a gun” — “and force them to give it to the poor.”

It is, however, apparently perfectly O.K. to take people’s money at the point of a gun and force them to give it to agribusinesses and the wealthy.

Now, some enemies of food stamps don’t quote libertarian philosophy; they quote the Bible instead. Representative Stephen Fincher of Tennessee, for example, cited the New Testament: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” Sure enough, it turns out that Mr. Fincher has personally received millions in farm subsidies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/opinion/krugman-hunger-games-usa.html?ref=paulkrugman&_r=0

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation." Matthew, 23:14

;D

B-Large
07-15-2013, 01:53 PM
To fully appreciate what just went down, listen to the rhetoric conservatives often use to justify eliminating safety-net programs. It goes something like this: “You’re personally free to help the poor. But the government has no right to take people’s money” — frequently, at this point, they add the words “at the point of a gun” — “and force them to give it to the poor.”

It is, however, apparently perfectly O.K. to take people’s money at the point of a gun and force them to give it to agribusinesses and the wealthy.

Now, some enemies of food stamps don’t quote libertarian philosophy; they quote the Bible instead. Representative Stephen Fincher of Tennessee, for example, cited the New Testament: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.” Sure enough, it turns out that Mr. Fincher has personally received millions in farm subsidies.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/opinion/krugman-hunger-games-usa.html?ref=paulkrugman&_r=0

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation." Matthew, 23:14

;D

I don't know what has become of the GOP lately.... just a lot of anger and contempt for the meakest among our people....

I am not poor, never have been, and have a family that would insure no matter what I never see poverty... so I can only speculate on what I have seen about programs that help the poor. To me it seems like the poor tend to fall into two catagories, those who are temporarily/ fluctuate in and out of poor, working, and still not able to make ends meet no matter how hard they work... then the other group expects support, and believes the are entitled to be taken care of because they have been wronged by society, or something along those lines.

I like to think a majority are in the first catagory.... perhaps GOP thinks shaming people in that group will solve the problem of their siuation, being always on the edge??? Maybe its like "self-deportation", if we make it hard enough andf miserable anough maybe they will stop asking for help??

I don't like to Tone of the GOP anymore- They now practice policy from a place of pessimism and defeat... I sure would like to see that change.

Rohirrim
07-15-2013, 02:11 PM
I think it is a criminal and immoral act to systematically dismantle an economy to enrich the few, and then blame the people who are destroyed by that action for their plight.

B-Large
07-15-2013, 02:15 PM
I think it is a criminal and immoral act to systematically dismantle an economy to enrich the few, and then blame the people who are destroyed by that action for their plight.

I would be hard pressed to look at a poor struggling family in the face and tell them they are the problem, while back at the office having just signed a corporate welfare bill that will further enrich my campaign donors and their lobby groups... but then again, that's just me.