PDA

View Full Version : Egypts military gives President 48 hours

cutthemdown
07-01-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/protesters-ransack-muslim-brotherhood-hq-demand-morsis-resignation/2013/07/01/f3f79698-e23c-11e2-a11e-c2ea876a8f30_story.html

They demand he meets the will of the people. We know he can't he's Muslim Brotherhood. I wonder if Obama will support the military intervening like he did under Mubarek or if he will try and stay the course and pressure to leave the elected leader in place.

What a mess Obama should have went with Hilliary Clintons first thoughts which were to prop up Mubarek and then force him to make changes for the people. Obamas plan to just call on him to step down was pretty dangerous IMO.

Smiling Assassin27
07-01-2013, 11:06 AM
American President in 2011: 'Mubarak must go.'

American President today: 'It's not our job to choose who Egypt's leaders are.'

B-Large
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
hows bout we stay out of the affairs of that region? Heck, in syria they cut off a priests head, and syrian rebels are making youtube videos of them eating their enemies organs to imtimidate the enemy...

Lets bow out, address the tax code of something?

peacepipe
07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/protesters-ransack-muslim-brotherhood-hq-demand-morsis-resignation/2013/07/01/f3f79698-e23c-11e2-a11e-c2ea876a8f30_story.html

They demand he meets the will of the people. We know he can't he's Muslim Brotherhood. I wonder if Obama will support the military intervening like he did under Mubarek or if he will try and stay the course and pressure to leave the elected leader in place.

What a mess Obama should have went with Hilliary Clintons first thoughts which were to prop up Mubarek and then force him to make changes for the people. Obamas plan to just call on him to step down was pretty dangerous IMO.
Yes,you idiot we as Americans should always support dictatorships. Starting a democracy is always dangerous, it's a good thing our founding fathers didn't have your cowardice.

peacepipe
07-01-2013, 03:04 PM
American President in 2011: 'Mubarak must go.'

American President today: 'It's not our job to choose who Egypt's leaders are.'

How else do you spread democracy? You can't have a democracy if your country is run by a dictator.
Now that they have a democracy, the people of Egypt can choose their leader.

BroncoBeavis
07-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Yes,you idiot we as Americans should always support dictatorships. Starting a democracy is always dangerous, it's a good thing our founding fathers didn't have your cowardice.

Did you really just go full on GWB?

cutthemdown
07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
LOL!

SoCalBronco
07-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Good.

SCAF needs to execute a coup. The Brothers are garbage....destroy them. Islamists cannot be allowed to control the country. Put Morsi on ice please.

cutthemdown
07-02-2013, 07:52 AM
Obama is clueless and has no coherent plan for the mideast or our foriegn policy. Just as many people are protesting now in Egypt and he see's how foolish it was to just call for mubarek to step down. Mubarak was old a smooth transition to an election forced by the USA and the Egyptian military behind the scenes would have been so much smarter.

Syria? holy cow he is supplying arms based on a claim of WMD and no one see's the irony in that? Those rebels in Syria deserve no help but i still think he should be involved more. Set up a no fly zone and start bombing both sides. Of course one we just call fog of war oh so sorry we killed all your top al queda commanders. Our bad!

Whatever his whole admin a trainwreck. He makes Bush look like a friggin genius.

BroncoBeavis
07-02-2013, 08:05 AM
The moral of the story... sometimes tinpot dictators aren't as bad as they seem on the surface.

You can learn alot from Sacha Baron Cohen. :)

barryr
07-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Another example of why the U.S. needs to further develop their own oil and energy needs and not have to deal with the ME anymore and let them blow each other up. But we keep getting involved and pick a side and ultimately, they become our enemy too and using weapons given to them by the U.S. But let's keep doing it anyway and hope for a different result. Hope and change? LOL

peacepipe
07-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Obama is clueless and has no coherent plan for the mideast or our foriegn policy. Just as many people are protesting now in Egypt and he see's how foolish it was to just call for mubarek to step down. Mubarak was old a smooth transition to an election forced by the USA and the Egyptian military behind the scenes would have been so much smarter.

Syria? holy cow he is supplying arms based on a claim of WMD and no one see's the irony in that? Those rebels in Syria deserve no help but i still think he should be involved more. Set up a no fly zone and start bombing both sides. Of course one we just call fog of war oh so sorry we killed all your top al queda commanders. Our bad!

Whatever his whole admin a trainwreck. He makes Bush look like a friggin genius.

Muberek stepping down was right call,always was the right call. The people of egypt are exercising there right to protest. If muberek were still in charge you would complain that obama is screwing up cause there is a dictator in charge.

peacepipe
07-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Another example of why the U.S. needs to further develop their own oil and energy needs and not have to deal with the ME anymore and let them blow each other up. But we keep getting involved and pick a side and ultimately, they become our enemy too and using weapons given to them by the U.S. But let's keep doing it anyway and hope for a different result. Hope and change? LOL
LOL I hate to break the news to but there isn't enough oil in the U.S. to sustain us. As long as oil is our primary source of energy, we will be dependent on the mddle east for oil.

baja
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM

Yes because Egypt is the USA's problem.

Rohirrim
07-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Yes because Egypt is the USA's problem.

Fifty years ago, the CIA taught Nasser's secret police how to torture members of the Muslim Brotherhood. We also built the Shah of Iran's secret police unit, the SAVAK. Did you know General Schwarzkopf was one of the top dogs in that program? This was one of the major factors that gave rise to Al Queda and made us their target. Now, we are giving tax payer money to the Muslim Brotherhood's Egyptian president to keep him in power, the same guys who killed Sadat.

What is the one theme that runs through these two insane opposites of action? What will be of most benefit to the oil corporations? I'm guessing Morsy made a deal to hold the Brotherhood in check and keep their focus away from the Saudis. In return, he gets U.S. (and probably under the table Saudi) support. It's like paying protection to mobsters.

cutthemdown
07-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Muberek stepping down was right call,always was the right call. The people of egypt are exercising there right to protest. If muberek were still in charge you would complain that obama is screwing up cause there is a dictator in charge.

No I wouldn't i would say good job keeoing friendly govt in power Obama. Now with Syria it's different there i would say bomb both sides.

baja
07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Fifty years ago, the CIA taught Nasser's secret police how to torture members of the Muslim Brotherhood. We also built the Shah of Iran's secret police unit, the SAVAK. Did you know General Schwarzkopf was one of the top dogs in that program? This was one of the major factors that gave rise to Al Queda and made us their target. Now, we are giving tax payer money to the Muslim Brotherhood's Egyptian president to keep him in power, the same guys who killed Sadat.

What is the one theme that runs through these two insane opposites of action? What will be of most benefit to the oil corporations? I'm guessing Morsy made a deal to hold the Brotherhood in check and keep their focus away from the Saudis. In return, he gets U.S. (and probably under the table Saudi) support. It's like paying protection to mobsters.

BINGO

Could evil be real?

Could evil have super natural powers?

Could the mobsters / banksters be given over to this evil power and in turn be empowered in ways most of us do not understand?

Rohirrim
07-02-2013, 02:20 PM
BINGO

Could evil be real?

Could evil have super natural powers?

Could the mobsters / banksters be given over to this evil power and in turn be empowered in ways most of us do not understand?

Nah. This kind of evil is as old as man himself. It's called greed.

baja
07-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Nah. This kind of evil is as old as man himself. It's called greed.

For most of my life I thought so too. I thought evil was just a word to describe men's failings but now I believe it is a real force of its own, a force that impacts our lives to a much deeper level that I had ever imagined. All the unexplained insanity we inflict on one another I originates in this power loose on earth that we currently call evil. There have been many names for this force through out time.

cutthemdown
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Obama backed a loser in Egypt.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23154233

mhgaffney
07-02-2013, 02:50 PM
For most of my life I thought so too. I thought evil was just a word to describe men's failings but now I believe it is a real force of its own, a force that impacts our lives to a much deeper level that I had ever imagined. All the unexplained insanity we inflict on one another I originates in this power loose on earth that we currently call evil. There have been many names for this force through out time.

The bottom line is, these evil men can only do what they do in the shadows. They cannot survive in the light of day.

Hence the great importance of whistleblowers. Got to hand it to Snowden for not feeling intimidated by Obama's policy of burying leakers.

The Nobel committee should give Assange, Manning and Snowden the Nobel Peace Prize this year. All three should share it.
MHG

baja
07-02-2013, 03:49 PM
The bottom line is, these evil men can only do what they do in the shadows. They cannot survive in the light of day.

Hence the great importance of whistleblowers. Got to hand it to Snowden for not feeling intimidated by Obama's policy of burying leakers.

The Nobel committee should give Assange, Manning and Snowden the Nobel Peace Prize this year. All three should share it.
MHG

I once thought that too but look around.

pentagon cant account for trillions of dollars - nothing happens

building 7 falls to the ground all by it self - nothing happens

Americans killed by drones - nothing happens

Banksters steal money from depositors in Cyprus - nothing happens

open air GMO experimental seed cross pollinates other crops - nothing happens

Priests are revealed as pedophiles - nothing happens.

Mark the stuff you have been talking about for years is in our faces and still no one gives a shiit.

People in general have been so dumbed down they do not care anymore. Read some posts here, people can not think for themselves anymore.

cutthemdown
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM

No lol. The proper move was to say the Egyptian people deserve an election and to work with the army to announce a plan where Mubarek goes into exile. Then a transition to an election that gives time to make sure the Muslim Brotherhood doesn't just dominate it. **** them. It's not in our interests to have the Muslim Brotherhood running countries. Democracy is a joke when one side cuts off heads if you don't agree with them. You can't have a fair election like that.

Rohirrim
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I once thought that too but look around.

pentagon cant account for trillions of dollars - nothing happens

building 7 falls to the ground all by it self - nothing happens

Americans killed by drones - nothing happens

Banksters steal money from depositors in Cyprus - nothing happens

open air GMO experimental seed cross pollinates other crops - nothing happens

Priests are revealed as pedophiles - nothing happens.

Mark the stuff you have been talking about for years is in our faces and still no one gives a shiit.

People in general have been so dumbed down they do not care anymore. Read some posts here, people can not think for themselves anymore.

I think the changes that have taken place over the last thirty years have been so enormous, and done in such a nefarious, piece-meal manner, that most people have no idea what has happened. They know something is broken, and that what used to work no longer does, but they don't know why. Add into that this radical Right Wing corporatist cabal has its own propaganda arm that blares the false message, and false conflicts, to them 24/7, plus the rest of the nation's media has been slowly eased into the corporate pockets as well, and you have a recipe for national delusion. Also, the so-called Left in Washington has been slowly co-opted by corporate money to play along. Someday, history might actually write the book on what a traitor Bill Clinton was.

But it hasn't been a secret. It's been done in the open:
The 1964 campaign convinced Scaife that no genuinely conservative candidate could succeed in a nationwide election without first overcoming the advantage that liberalism appeared to have both in the media and in the war of political ideas that provided its ideological foundation. So Scaife began funding his own media. Literally hundreds of right-wing think tanks, pressure groups, alternative media outlets, and eventually, media empires owe their existence to this insight of Scaife's and to the billions that would eventually pour into their coffers as a result.
http://www.commonwealinstitute.org/archive/information-about-the-right

And it has all been done by plan, much as one would conduct a corporate raid on a competitor, the same way Romney made his living:
The National Chamber of Commerce asked Lewis Powell, a former head of the American Bar Association and member of 11 corporate boards, to write a blueprint of what had to be done. The result, says Stein, is one of the most prescient documents of our time. The memo lays out the framework, the goals and the ingredients for the conservative revolution that has gained momentum and power ever since. Two months after penning the memo, then President Richard M. Nixon appointed Powell, a Democrat, to the U.S. Supreme Court.http://www.thwink.org/sustain/articles/017_PowellMemo/

Basically, we have forty years of a corporate/Right Wing assault on the American government and way of life. And guess what? They won. Read these two sites and you can watch the whole thing, how it was planned, how the plan was implemented, and how it succeeded. We went from the most egalitarian country on Earth, to a country with the worst income disparity in the industrialized world, in a mere thirty years.

And they're not done yet. They still want to accomplish the abolition of corporate taxes, estate taxes, capital gains taxes, the EPA, and who knows how many other regulatory bodies and statutes. The changes should come much faster and heavier now. What used to be the resistance on the Left has been, for all intents and purposes, obliterated. Hell, look at all the screaming rhetoric we've heard over Obamacare? And that was a plan hatched in the belly of the Heritage Foundation to turn millions more Americans over to control of the health insurance industry while effectively erasing the argument for nationalized health care! And the Right acts as if that was a defeat and suckers the poor whites into being outraged (once again)! Brilliant stuff. Meanwhile, the Labor movement is a carcass of its former self, after a thirty year barrage of full frontal propaganda assault starting under Reagan. The progressives still left in government can be counted on one hand.

I would say the victory of the corporatist Right is total.

The reason they don't fight too hard about Roe v Wade, gay marriage, flag burning, immigration and all that other social stuff is because they never really cared about it. That was just stuff to suck the poor whites into voting against their own economic interests. The guys really running the Right Wing revolution have not seriously attacked Roe v Wade during the entire four decades their movement has been in operation. Their agenda has always been to impose a corporatocracy. And they have.

Like Hyman Roth says in the Godfather II, "If I could only live to see it, to be there with you. What I wouldn't give for twenty more years! Here we are, protected, free to make our profits without Kefauver, the goddamn Justice Department and the F.B.I. ninety miles away, in partnership with a friendly government. Ninety miles! It's nothing! Just one small step, looking for a man who wants to be President of the United States, and having the cash to make it possible. Michael, we're bigger than U.S. Steel."

;D

baja
07-02-2013, 04:52 PM
and people wonder why i have an off the grid ranch in rural Baja.

they call me a fool and a coward, I say check the mirror.

Rohirrim
07-02-2013, 05:25 PM
And now, Obama backs off the mandate. http://www.nbcnews.com/health/employers-get-extra-year-provide-health-insurance-6C10520868

The argument for nationalized health care is squashed and the mandate won't be implemented. Win/win for the Heritage Foundation's plan.

What a bunch of suckers we Americans are. Ha!

Bacchus
07-02-2013, 06:22 PM
I feel about Egypt like I do Iraq. They elected the leaders they have if they want to get rid of them go ahead but not with our help.\

They were elected democratically, we should not be interfering.

Let's see a friggin job bill passed instead of worrying about Egypt.

peacepipe
07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
And now, Obama backs off the mandate. http://www.nbcnews.com/health/employers-get-extra-year-provide-health-insurance-6C10520868

The argument for nationalized health care is squashed and the mandate won't be implemented. Win/win for the Heritage Foundation's plan.

What a bunch of suckers we Americans are. Ha!
Spineless mother ****er should've just went for medicare all. All that needed to be done essentially was remove the age limit.

peacepipe
07-02-2013, 06:28 PM
I feel about Egypt like I do Iraq. They elected the leaders they have if they want to get rid of them go ahead but not with our help.\

Bingo! Rep.

Rohirrim
07-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Spineless mother ****er should've just went for medicare all. All that needed to be done essentially was remove the age limit.

The Moynihan Plan. ;)

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 12:11 AM
LOL Obama knows his mandate crushes the economy and he wants to be gone when it kicks in, or gets scrapped. He certainly doesn't want to deal with it in 2014 when he has a big election coming up. What a joke Obamacare is by the time its going and killing jobs Obama will be long gone.

Great then our next president will spend his first 4 yrs blaming Obama.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 12:13 AM

The army runs the country so......as long as we supply them up with arms they will most likely do what we want. The notion Obama didn't already interfere to start this whole mess is a joke. He already interfered and ****ed it all up. He can't just say hands off now. Well he may because he is a horrid leader with no foriegn policy plan.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 06:22 AM
LOL Obama knows his mandate crushes the economy and he wants to be gone when it kicks in, or gets scrapped. He certainly doesn't want to deal with it in 2014 when he has a big election coming up. What a joke Obamacare is by the time its going and killing jobs Obama will be long gone.

Great then our next president will spend his first 4 yrs blaming Obama.

Hey following Obamas new Obamacare Law Giver precedent, the President can just set aside any provisions of the law he doesn't like (even though he signed them himself)

He's building a model for any future President to unmake the government at his own discretion. This guy is full of win.

baja
07-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Hey following Obamas new Obamacare Law Giver precedent, the President can just set aside any provisions of the law he doesn't like (even though he signed them himself)

He's building a model for any future President to unmake the government at his own discretion. This guy is full of win.

This has been going on in Ernest since Kennedy

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Obama setting many dangerous precedents. Trying to use recess appointments when Congress is in session. Using the EPA to enforce draconian regulations and bypassing Congress. Then when it comes to his job killing Obamacare his plan is to have his economy never have to suffer it.

You know he has seen the forecasts that it will kill jobs. Now he is going to attack coal and that is a big loser also. It will cost the dems in swing states.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 06:58 AM
Liberals are stupid they sould control Obama by working with repubs more in congress, that way they would be better positioned to take the white house again when he leaves. Instead they will let him kill jobs and probably lose in 2014 and 2016.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Egypt would be better off with the military running things through a council of Egypts moderate clerics, scholars, with a few christians thrown in. Just cut off radicals and tell them to deal with it. Morsi friggin appointed a guy to run luxor that chopped people up. I mean cmon some countries not ready for democracy when one side will chop you up if you vote against them or don't like under sharia law.

We have to stop being niave all countries ready for democracy. Hell seeing Egypt though shows when we set it up, IE Iraq, at least it has a small chance of surviving. Or the international community however you look at it.

Libya is a mess but more stable because France stuck their nose in it.

Since Egypts military powerful they should stick their noses into it until the people elect a govt that doesn't then right a BS constitution leaving out all other types of thinking, religion, commerce etc.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 07:05 AM
That's why i hope Obama more on top of Syria then it seems but i have serious doubts he even has a plan. We should be identifying the leaders of the rebels and targeting them. You don't want them to survive the war. This a great chance to kill top level commanders IMO.

Rohirrim
07-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Meanwhile, the army is lining up against Morsi. He's toast.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/03/19261466-egypts-president-top-general-ready-to-die-as-power-struggle-enters-final-hours?lite

BroncoInferno
07-03-2013, 08:00 AM

It never would have even made it to the floor for a vote. I agree that that would have been the far superior option, but the Republicans wouldn't even vote for a plan that was basically their idea. A universal option had no chance. Hopefully, this will just be the first incremental step towards single-payer. I think that's probably how Obama views it.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM
It never would have even made it to the floor for a vote. I agree that that would have been the far superior option, but the Republicans wouldn't even vote for a plan that was basically their idea. A universal option had no chance. Hopefully, this will just be the first incremental step towards single-payer. I think that's probably how Obama views it.

This is neat logic. They rammed this bad boy through with basically zero Republican votes. But now you're blaming Republicans anyway because an even bigger government role wouldn't have gotten any R votes either.

If you're gonna lube the other side up and have your way, just get it done. But stop short of pretending you were only doing it for their enjoyment. LOL

BroncoInferno
07-03-2013, 09:18 AM
This is neat logic. They rammed this bad boy through with basically zero Republican votes. But now you're blaming Republicans anyway because an even bigger government role wouldn't have gotten any R votes either.

If you're gonna lube the other side up and have your way, just get it done. But stop short of pretending you were only doing it for their enjoyment. LOL

It's a simple fact that the framework of AHCA is essentially the plan formulated in the mid-90s by the Heritage Foundation and later implemented by Romney in Mass. So, yes, it was a right-wing idea. And, yes, Republicans pretended they hated it once President Blackenstein got his cooties on it. Those are facts. If your too ignorant to understand that, it's not my problem.

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
NewsBreaker ‏@NewsBreaker 19s

DEVELOPING: @RichardEngel reports "Local TV report [Egypt Pres] Morsi put under house arrest. NO confirmation."

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
911 Operator ‏@911BUFF 35s

BREAKING NEWS - EGYPT'S AL-HAYAT TV REPORTS PRESIDENT MURSI UNDER HOUSE ARREST. HUGE CHEERS AND FIREWORKS IN TAHRIR. #911BUFF

Stuff's getting real, now.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
LOL so get this. Companies won't have to insure employees because obama delayed it. But......here is the kicker the individual mandate is still going into effect. So really 5 yrs into Obama what he has done is just forced people to go buy insurance or get fined lol!

This President has jumped the shark tank like no other in recent memory. he has no credibility and it's obvious his healthcare overhaul is a cluster**** of major porportions.

People are going to take the fine and not pay it.

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM

BREAKING NEWS - EGYPT'S AL-HAYAT TV REPORTS PRESIDENT MURSI UNDER HOUSE ARREST. HUGE CHEERS AND FIREWORKS IN TAHRIR. #911BUFF

See what happens when you get the Obama were sorry for our past crimes, lets just see what happens when we demand Mubarek steps down. This whole mess to Libya to Syria all could have been prevented.

SoCalBronco
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM

I look forward to seeing his head on a stake. **** him..and the Brotherhood.

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 09:41 AM
NewsBreaker ‏@NewsBreaker 48s

UPDATE: @RichardEngel: "Two [Egypt Pres] Morsi advisors tell us report of his house arrest NOT true."

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 09:45 AM
LOL so get this. Companies won't have to insure employees because obama delayed it. But......here is the kicker the individual mandate is still going into effect. So really 5 yrs into Obama what he has done is just forced people to go buy insurance or get fined lol!

This President has jumped the shark tank like no other in recent memory. he has no credibility and it's obvious his healthcare overhaul is a cluster**** of major porportions.

People are going to take the fine and not pay it.

yeah, this needs its own thread. guess we really need to DELAY IMPLEMENTATION of the bill to see what's in it...

foreign policy in shambles, obamacare being tabled for being a job killer and unfeasible...but at least Obama's still got global warming, right? don't say we didn't warn you. Out of curiosity, how does the Executive branch have the authority to postpone implementation of a bill passed by Congress, let alone postpone implementation of a 'tax' without Congressional approval? Wait til Obama reads the newspaper and finds out his signature legislation's been postponed.

baja
07-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Is there any left defending Obama around here?

BroncoLifer
07-03-2013, 09:59 AM
It's a simple fact that the framework of AHCA is essentially the plan formulated in the mid-90s by the Heritage Foundation and later implemented by Romney in Mass. So, yes, it was a right-wing idea. And, yes, Republicans pretended they hated it once President Blackenstein got his cooties on it. Those are facts. If your too ignorant to understand that, it's not my problem.

Not exactly. The Heritage Foundation did indeed develop a plan involving an individual mandate. But it was embraced by the Republican Party not because they truly liked it, but as a less-bad alternative to Hillarycare. Medicare’s prescription drug benefit was passed by a Republican president and a Republican Congress under the pretense that if they didn’t do it, Democrats would, and it would be worse - the same concept was behind the GOP support of the general outlines of the Heritage plan.

As you say, those are facts. If you're too ignorant to understand that, it's not my problem.

BroncoInferno
07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Not exactly. The Heritage Foundation did indeed develop a plan involving an individual mandate. But it was embraced by the Republican Party not because they truly liked it, but as a less-bad alternative to Hillarycare. Medicare’s prescription drug benefit was passed by a Republican president and a Republican Congress under the pretense that if they didn’t do it, Democrats would, and it would be worse - the same concept was behind the GOP support of the general outlines of the Heritage plan.

Hillarycare was long ago a non-factor when Romney implemented the plan in Mass. And perhaps you can show me the quote from the Heritage Foundation where they say, "hey, our plan is crap, but it's better than the alternative." Or did you just make **** up? Nice try, but fail.

As you say, those are facts. If you're too ignorant to understand that, it's not my problem.

If by "facts" you mean "making **** up," then sure.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Hillarycare was long ago a non-factor when Romney implemented the plan in Mass. And perhaps you can show me the quote from the Heritage Foundation where they say, "hey, our plan is crap, but it's better than the alternative." Or did you just make **** up? Nice try, but fail.

Romney had nothing to do with Hillarycare, but he faced a scenario very similar to it when dealing with a left-leaning Massachusetts legislature who also would've liked to have gone much further.

Put another way, choosing the lesser of two evils isn't necessarily an endorsement of evil. And finding a conservative who once endorsed or thought about an idea does nothing to make the idea itself conservative. Ideas stand on their own (or don't)

Otherwise, Reagan just stole all those tax cuts and peace through strength ideas from Kennedy. I guess D's only opposed them because Ronnie wore the R? :)

BroncoInferno
07-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Romney had nothing to do with Hillarycare, but he faced a scenario very similar to it when dealing with a left-leaning Massachusetts legislature who also would've liked to have gone much further.

Put another way, choosing the lesser of two evils isn't necessarily an endorsement of evil. And finding a conservative who once endorsed or thought about an idea does nothing to make the idea itself conservative. Ideas stand on their own (or don't)

Fair enough, but that's precisely what I was saying Obama was doing earlier. Picking a lesser of two evils (installing a version of Romneycare vs. keeping the existing system). Republicans can pick lesser evils, but that's just an excuse when it's Obama? What's good for the goose and all that.

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Oh and look, oil tops $101 a barrel right on cue.

BroncoLifer
07-03-2013, 10:45 AM

If by "facts" you mean "making **** up," then sure.

Your response is incoherent. Heritage Foundation <> Republican Party. The GOP got behind the Heritage plan in the '90s for politics -- solely so as to be seen as possessing an alternative to Hillarycare, though I'm sure most GOPers never truly supported it on its own merits. Was that disingenuous? I'd say "yes" and Obama caused them to rue that by essentially calling the bluff.

My larger point is that it was never a plan that the GOP -- much less conservatives -- actually believed in.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Fair enough, but that's precisely what I was saying Obama was doing earlier. Picking a lesser of two evils (installing a version of Romneycare vs. keeping the existing system). Republicans can pick lesser evils, but that's just an excuse when it's Obama? What's good for the goose and all that.

The difference is Obama had more congressional power aligned with him than anyone in at least a generation. He had an epic opportunity to lead us somewhere. Anywhere. But instead he hesitated to get his hands dirty and outsourced the sausage-making to Congress (with predictable results)

In the end we got the worst of both worlds... the downsides of both markets and governments, and the real benefits of neither.

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Let's hope our President and Sec. of State learned a thing or two from Benghazi. This has the potential to end with more dead Americans.

mhgaffney
07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
Let's hope our President and Sec. of State learned a thing or two from Benghazi. This has the potential to end with more dead Americans.

I wish there were cause for optimism. But the US learned nothing from Vietnam -- except how better to avoid unrest here at home (by introducing a professional army).

The US learned nothing from the first Gulf War, nothing from the second, nothing from the war in Afghanistan, and nothing from the Libya fiasco.

So what leads you to hope we will avert the next war?

This is why I pray for a collapsed dollar (stock market, bond market) -- to pop the empire balloon before the worst happens...

cutthemdown
07-03-2013, 11:33 AM
I think a collapsed dollar would just make us more dangerous Gaff. Not like we don't already have the firepower to take resources from other countries.

TonyR
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm not following this story very closely, and I didn't read all of this thread, but thought this was an interesting perspective to consider (the possibility that the protestors are being "played"):

When it became clear that popular support for Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood was overwhelming, the SCAF allowed him to win but passed a series of sweeping measures just before he took office to consolidate its own power and weaken the office of the president. Morsi’s presidency since then has been a power struggle on two fronts, fighting the SCAF with one hand and repressing liberal, anti-Islamist forces with the other.

These two enemies of Morsi may now have found common cause temporarily. And some liberals, like the journalist Mona Eltahawy, believe this uprising will be the real thing—the event that finally tips the balance of power over to the forces of democracy. But there’s another interpretation: The pro-democracy activists are serving as the army’s tool. Once it is back in power, the SCAF will be in no hurry to liberalize; indeed, it is likely to only step up the repression against the Muslim Brotherhood, which remains popular with a sizable chunk of the people.
http://qz.com/99431/egypts-pro-democracy-activists-may-just-be-the-pawns-of-the-military/

Meck77
07-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Good for the Egyptian people.

We should be rioting in the streets also. The thing is the average american is fat and happy at the moment. More Americans on the Obama's tit then EVER before. That's how you buy elections.

The government is giving themselves raises again, raising your taxes, yet we are PRINTING $85,000,000,000 PER MONTH to prop up our unsustainable system.

The Fed hinted...just hinted at ending QE and the markets tanked.

TonyR
07-03-2013, 12:20 PM
LOL You have to love the people who think it's the poor who have it good. Sure sign of someone who not only lives an insulated life, but is very unaware of it.

Meck77
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=TonyR;3872832]LOL You have to love the people who think it's the poor who have it good. Sure sign of someone who not only lives an insulated life, but is very unaware of it.[/QUOT

I never said they have it good. I said they are happy not working and getting a check.

Good is a relative term. The poor will certainly struggle when the printing press breaks.

Rohirrim
07-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Oh and look, oil tops $101 a barrel right on cue.

That will always happen when stability around the Suez Canal is in question.

Rohirrim
07-03-2013, 12:48 PM
LOL You have to love the people who think it's the poor who have it good. Sure sign of someone who not only lives an insulated life, but is very unaware of it.

No ****. Dude's living in Wonderland.

TonyR
07-03-2013, 12:57 PM
I never said they have it good...

Well, you said the "average American is fat and happy", surely implying that they're doing well. I'll give you that the "average American" is fat. But that same "average American" is struggling financially and losing a lot more battles than they're winning. The "average American" isn't remotely living the proverbial "American Dream".

TonyR
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
Egypt may soon return to its pre-Arab Spring status quo: an oppressive police state that knows how to keep the streets calm. The only difference, of course, is that it will presumably be General Abdul Fatah Khalil Al-Sisi maintaining order, rather than Hosni Mubarak, the country’s erstwhile strongman.

So a few years from now, when President-for-Life Al-Sisi is sworn into office, and the Muslim Brotherhood, radicalized by the belief that they were unlawfully thrown out of power, decide to reject politics and return to violence, we may see history repeating itself with equally devastating consequences. http://www.vocativ.com/07-2013/remembering-algeria/

Meck77
07-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Well, you said the "average American is fat and happy", surely implying that they're doing well. I'll give you that the "average American" is fat. But that same "average American" is struggling financially and losing a lot more battles than they're winning. The "average American" isn't remotely living the proverbial "American Dream".

I traveled to ex Soviet Union countries right after the "wall" fell. The sentiment at the time was the people preferred life under communism because at least they got cheap sausage. I'm not ****ting you. The reality is I'd say the average American doesn't like working hard and given the choice of getting a government check and living at a sustainable poverty level vs working 50+ hrs a week they'd take the welfare check.

People won't riot here until those checks are cut off. They will be cut off.

Yes the Fat reference was to large. How can truly "poor" people be fat anyway? Think about that.

Rohirrim
07-03-2013, 01:15 PM
I traveled to ex Soviet Union countries right after the "wall" fell. The sentiment at the time was the people preferred life under communism because at least they got cheap sausage. I'm not ****ting you. The reality is I'd say the average American doesn't like working hard and given the choice of getting a government check and living at a sustainable poverty level vs working 50+ hrs a week they'd take the welfare check.

Yes the Fat reference was to large. How can truly "poor" people be fat anyway? Think about that.

You've bought into the Right Wing sucker propaganda hook, line and sinker.

baja
07-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Look around you and you think about that.

Smiling Assassin27
07-03-2013, 01:19 PM
So just about a year ago, Clinton was sent to endorse Morsi. Today, the administration says we aren't taking sides and don't plan to take sides.'

Obama's middle east policy is a laughingstock.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
So just about a year ago, Clinton was sent to endorse Morsi. Today, the administration says we aren't taking sides and don't plan to take sides.'

What policy? :)

peacepipe
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM

He shouldn't take sides. It's none of our business.

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
He shouldn't take sides. It's none of our business.

Yeah, sure thing baby. We're just neutral, that's the ticket. LOL

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/06/kerry-s-secret-gift-to-egypt.html

peacepipe
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Yeah, sure thing baby. We're just neutral, that's the ticket. LOL

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/06/kerry-s-secret-gift-to-egypt.html

What does that have to do with what's going on now. I don't recall million people in Egypt protesting a month ago.

baja
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Egypt Protest Largest In History, Anti-Morsi And Anti-Obama Signs Fill The Streets PHOTOS

The protests against Mohammad Morsi’s government in Cairo are the largest ever in the country’s history — even bigger than the massive protests two years ago that ousted Hosni Mubarak.

twitter photo

Described as millions, the massive crowd of people took to the streets on Sunday and protests continued prompting the Egyptian army to call for a peaceful end.

The Egyptian military gave the Morsi government 48 hours to respond to the people — but insisted its policy opposes coups.

Egypt’s anti-Morsi rebel campaign has urged Egyptians to flock to “every protest venue and street” as the army’s deadline approaches, Ahram Online reported. Morsi’s supporters are also rallying in Cairo.

Opposition activists claim more than 22 million people in the nation of 84 million have signed the petition and have urged the signatories to come out in Tahrir Square.

Army vehicles have been deployed elsewhere in #Cairo as the deadline approaches. #Egypt #Egyptianrevolution2013 - PaulaSlier_RT (@PaulaSlier_RT) July 3, 2013

Rt @AleemMaqbool: Staff at Egypt state TV building say an army officer went round this morning telling non-essential staff to leave – — Bel Trew – بل ترو (@Beltrew) July 3, 2013

There are so many photos, live from the streets. Go to twitter and seek out #Egypt and #Morsi hashtags.

baja
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Obama-supports-terrorism-protest-Egypt.jpg

BroncoBeavis
07-03-2013, 04:05 PM
What does that have to do with what's going on now. I don't recall million people in Egypt protesting a month ago.

Read the article. The lesson is if you're going to go around making excuses for your chosen thug, make sure he's a thug that actually has the ability to hold **** together.

We bent over for a bunch of islamist tools and in the end all we got for it was a T-shirt.

mhgaffney
07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Read the article. The lesson is if you're going to go around making excuses for your chosen thug, make sure he's a thug that actually has the ability to hold **** together.

We bent over for a bunch of islamist tools and in the end all we got for it was a T-shirt.

We armed them. We trained them. We flew them into different countries to destabilize and overthrow governments.

Heck, we created them -- starting in 1978 when Bzig convinced Jimmy Carter to lure the USSR into Afghanistan.

No surprise they turned and bit us.

Now we are repeating the same policy. Talk about nuts.
MHG

Rohirrim
07-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Religion and democracy are incompatible. Religion and government are incompatible. It's why Jefferson, Madison, et al insisted that separation of church and state be one of the pillars upon which this republic was founded. Religion is a private matter. Government is a public matter. Neither can afford to show tolerance for the other, if tolerance means allowing one sphere of influence to intrude on the other's. They are an impossible mix, like water and fire. The one will invariably extinguish the other.

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I love how Obama can't call it a coup. LOL this is funny stuff. Obama is completely in over his head. What did you all expect from someone who never had a real job in his ****ing life. Then he was a Senator that did nothing but say things like raising the debt limit is a sign of failure. Then Boom he is President.

And people wonder why he is totally clueless he had no foreign policy experience and let Hilliary run it.

Rohirrim
07-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I love how Obama can't call it a coup. LOL this is funny stuff. Obama is completely in over his head. What did you all expect from someone who never had a real job in his ****ing life. Then he was a Senator that did nothing but say things like raising the debt limit is a sign of failure. Then Boom he is President.

And people wonder why he is totally clueless he had no foreign policy experience and let Hilliary run it.

Being a professor of law at one of the most prestigious universities in America is not a "real" job?

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
he gave some lectures and taught a few classes big deal my brother does that. You want him to be President?

Rohirrim
07-04-2013, 10:41 AM
he gave some lectures and taught a few classes big deal my brother does that. You want him to be President?

Here's the statement issued by the University of Chicago School of Law:
The Law School has received many media requests about Barack Obama, especially about his status as "Senior Lecturer." From 1992 until his election to the U.S. Senate in 2004, Barack Obama served as a professor in the Law School. He was a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996. He was a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004, during which time he taught three courses per year. Senior Lecturers are considered to be members of the Law School faculty and are regarded as professors, although not full-time or tenure-track. The title of Senior Lecturer is distinct from the title of Lecturer, which signifies adjunct status. Like Obama, each of the Law School’s Senior Lecturers have high-demand careers in politics or public service, which prevent full-time teaching. Several times during his 12 years as a professor in the Law School, Obama was invited to join the faculty in a full-time tenure-track position, but he declined.

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Not saying he wasn't smart. Just saying he never tried a case as a lawyer. Other lawyers quite frankly don't respect other attorneys if they don't. The law school would not release the student evaluations of Obama either which I would have liked to have seen.

He's a lawyer who never won or tried a case, big deal. My brother has a more impressive record as an attorney. He's taught but more importantly he's won big trials.

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Obama like a doctor who never actually had any patients, except at a clinic where he gave them some shots and checked their blood pressure.

Requiem
07-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Less than 25% of attorneys do case work, trials, etc. in a court of law. Jesus you are a moron.

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I'd say your right only about 1-4 attorneys are worth a **** and good enough to go into a trial.

cutthemdown
07-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Obama isn't one of them.

The Lone Bolt
07-04-2013, 09:02 PM

Yes, he should have had his rich parents get him a real job like dubya or Mitt.

Bacchus
07-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Egypt would be better off with the military running things through a council of Egypts moderate clerics, scholars, with a few christians thrown in. Just cut off radicals and tell them to deal with it. Morsi friggin appointed a guy to run luxor that chopped people up. I mean cmon some countries not ready for democracy when one side will chop you up if you vote against them or don't like under sharia law.

We have to stop being niave all countries ready for democracy. Hell seeing Egypt though shows when we set it up, IE Iraq, at least it has a small chance of surviving. Or the international community however you look at it.

Libya is a mess but more stable because France stuck their nose in it.

Since Egypts military powerful they should stick their noses into it until the people elect a govt that doesn't then right a BS constitution leaving out all other types of thinking, religion, commerce etc.

I am not afraid of these new democracies in Egypt, Libya or Iraq electing radical Muslim governments. Because in the end the ALL people around the world want Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. If these elected Radical Muslim governments stick to their old beliefs the people will oust them.

Democracy is a messy thing but if the people, mainly women, have a chance for fair elections they will always choose what is best for their family.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
You can't have deomcracy when one side will cut your head off if you don't vote for them Baccus.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Democracy and Islam are not compatible because democracy is about inclusion and Islam is about exclusion.

peacepipe
07-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Democracy and Islam are not compatible because democracy is about inclusion and Islam is about exclusion.

You know nothing of Islam,by your logic,the same can be said about Catholicism here in america.

kappys
07-05-2013, 11:22 AM

I would argue the same is true of any religion including Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism and Islam of course.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Really Israels democracy works, the USA democracy works. Indias and Japan have democracy and religion.

It's just you can't make religion the most important part of the govt like Islam does. It has to take a back seat to running a country logically and financially sound with fairness for all people.

Islams big problem is oppression and violence. They have no place in democracy.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 11:39 AM
How many people heads have the catholics chopped off for converting to another religion? To compare any other religion to Islam anymore is a joke. Its like comparing the boy scouts to the Mongols street bike gang and saying they are both clubs.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
foreign policy experts are bagging and making fun of Obama on all the networks. Obama's handling of the Arab spring will go down as one of the biggest misteps in the history of American Presidents.

Good job liberals you really ****ed things up this time. Jimmy Carter 2.0.

Rohirrim
07-05-2013, 04:24 PM
foreign policy experts are bagging and making fun of Obama on all the networks. Obama's handling of the Arab spring will go down as one of the biggest misteps in the history of American Presidents.

Good job liberals you really ****ed things up this time. Jimmy Carter 2.0.

He did fine on Tunisia. He played the Libya situation okay. Gaddafi had to go. Egypt has been a cluster****. Part of the reason is that keeping the Suez open is critical to our own interests so he's been trying to play the stability card. No doubt there has been heavy influence on Obama's policies from the Saudis behind the scenes. What so many presidents have forgotten over time is that America is supposed to stand for something, and that something is not corporate economic stability. It's freedom. We should err on the side of democracy, not support militaries and Right Wing dictators. Obama sticking up for the Muslim Brotherhood president is mind boggling. Sticking our noses in Syria is also going to blow back in our faces, IMO.

Obama is just not up to the task of president, IMO. Of course, Romney would have been a different kind of disaster. Probably not much different than Obama. Both are corporate power sell-outs. Either way, Goldman Sachs is sitting in the Oval Office calling the shots. Anybody who tries to argue that McCain had the temperament to be president should have their head examined. And Palin? One step away from the presidency? Please. Our government has become such a mess that we can no longer come up with good presidential candidates. The candidates' souls are sold long before they get to that stature. Who's up next? Rand Paul vs Hillary Clinton? I weep for my country.

cutthemdown
07-05-2013, 10:16 PM
He didn't do anything in Tunisia. In Libya it was France who took a leadership position. In Egypt it was all Obama. He was the big force who said Mubarek must go, that made the military act. Then he threw his support behind the brotherhood which was a wow moment in American politics. Egypt is Obama's baby and it's crying.

Rohirrim
07-06-2013, 01:22 AM
He didn't do anything in Tunisia. In Libya it was France who took a leadership position. In Egypt it was all Obama. He was the big force who said Mubarek must go, that made the military act. Then he threw his support behind the brotherhood which was a wow moment in American politics. Egypt is Obama's baby and it's crying.

That's just ridiculous. The Egyptian people are running this show, from start to finish.

Rohirrim
07-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Excellent write-up from a former senior advisor at the State Dept.:
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/05/bipartisan-cluelessness-on-egypt/

You'll notice that Lindsay Graham and John McCain are the idiots who first met with leaders of the Muslim Brotherhood and wanted to include them in the discussion. Obama followed up on their lead, which was dumbass mistake. Fundamentalists and secular government cannot possibly coexist. All we had to do is follow our own principles and we would have taken the correct path. Washington seems to have a very difficult time with that idea.

I also found it interesting how the CIA is so messed up and spread out that it can't even carry out its original function anymore.

cutthemdown
07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323899704578589362013518612.html

Elbaradi swept into power in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood will never participate in elections again IMO. They now go forever into terrorism IMO.

cutthemdown
07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
That's just ridiculous. The Egyptian people are running this show, from start to finish.

You're kidding right? The Egyptian military runs the show and most likely does what we tell them to.

W*GS
07-06-2013, 11:58 AM
You're kidding right? The Egyptian military runs the show and most likely does what we tell them to.

Just like they're supposed to, eh.

We run the world and everyone better do what we say or we'll **** 'em but good.

barryr
07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Egypt a mess and that religion of peace is really on a roll. Now burning children alive in Africa too. But as usual this won't get the new coverage in America. Focus on the really important Martin-Zimmerman case instead.

http://rt.com/news/school-massacre-nigeria-children-740/

baja
07-06-2013, 12:38 PM

THEY WILL LET YOU THINK YOU ARE PART OF THEM BUT WHEN THE TIME COMES THEY WILL DISPOSE OF YOU JUST AS EASILY AS THE DID TO THOSE THAT WENT IN THE FIRST WAVE.

W*GS
07-06-2013, 12:59 PM
THEY WILL LET YOU THINK YOU ARE PART OF THEM BUT WHEN THE TIME COMES THEY WILL DISPOSE OF YOU JUST AS EASILY AS THE DID TO THOSE THAT WENT IN THE FIRST WAVE.

I always wait for the third or later waves - better ride.

cutthemdown
07-06-2013, 01:27 PM

Yep that's how it's done.

Rohirrim
07-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Egypt heating up again. Hundreds of thousands in the streets. They're talking about charging Morsi with murder.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/26/19692007-morsi-investigated-for-murder-as-rival-rallies-take-to-egypts-streets?lite

Thanks, Obama. :rofl:

mhgaffney
07-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Robert Fisk Reports From Cairo
The Future for Egypt is Looking Increasingly Bloody

As impoverished crowds gather in support of Mohamed Morsi, the well-heeled march behind their images of the General. Hundreds of thousands support the coup – just as many do not

By Robert Fisk

July 27, 2013 "Information Clearing House - "The Independent" - Hundreds of thousands of people turned out outside Cairo’s Rabaa mosque yesterday to protest against the coup d’état in Egypt, while hundreds of thousands poured into Tahrir Square to support their favourite general, Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who staged the coup-that-we-mustn’t-call-a-coup.

Grotesque, unprecedented, bizarre. Call it what you like. But the helicopters swooping happily over Tahrir, and the line of visor-wearing riot police and troops standing opposite the Muslim Brotherhood’s barricades, told their own story. Journalists should not be merchants of gloom, but things did not look too good in Cairo last night.

The saddest thing – the most tragic, if you like – was that the crowds in Nasr City, close to the airport road where the mosque stands, were as cheerful and welcoming as the masses in Tahrir who regard their opposite numbers as “terrorists” rather than supporters of Mohamed Morsi, the legally and democratically elected President of Egypt who was overthrown by the army three weeks ago. The tens of thousands of Egyptians crossing the Nile River bridges or sweating in the 40C heat on the highway to the airport were so happy they could have been heading for a football match.

But there the jollity ends. The Muslim Brotherhood men and women carried Morsi’s picture and had painted Stars of David on the military barracks near the mosque. The Brotherhood had piled thousands of sandbags around their tent encampment and piles of stones to hurl at anyone trying to move them. But the soldiers down the road – also, it has to be said, cheerful and quite friendly – were holding automatic weapons beside French and American-made armoured vehicles, and they also held wooden batons and were flanked by policemen in shoddy black uniforms.

It looked as if they were only a few hours away from moving in on the Brotherhood, and no matter how many bearded men were reading the Koran on the roadway – and they were quite literally doing that – it was difficult to imagine the coming hours being anything but deadly.

One point that stood out – and it may be unfashionable to say so – is that the Brotherhood supporters were generally poor and looked poor in their grubby abayas and plastic sandals. Some of the Tahrir demonstrators, who were truly revolutionaries against Mubarak in 2011, trooped over the Nile bridges waving posters of General al-Sisi. And one has to say, painful as it is to do so, that the sight of well-heeled people holding aloft the photograph of a general in sunglasses – albeit a wonderful and very democratic general – was profoundly depressing. What really happened to the 25 January 2011 revolution?

“We love the soldiers but we don’t need the general,” a scarved woman shouted near the Rabaa mosque, but Sisi is now a well-known face, the man who will return Egypt to its true revolutionary path, if you can forget for the time being that the first genuinely elected president in modern Egyptian history is probably incarcerated in one of those barracks we drive by so blithely on the way to the airport.

But Egypt does need a government. Driving back from Nasr City to central Cairo tonight, my car was blocked in a traffic jam because rival families were fighting a gun battle across the highway. About 1,000 Cairenes had joined in by throwing stones from an overpass. Two miles further on, a middle-aged woman was driven down by a motorcycle and lay on the road in great pain. Many of the drivers who saw her carried on their journeys, the noses of their families pressed to the window as this lady lay spread-eagled on the highway in her black dress. The near future does not look good.

SoCalBronco
07-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Egypt heating up again. Hundreds of thousands in the streets. They're talking about charging Morsi with murder.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/26/19692007-morsi-investigated-for-murder-as-rival-rallies-take-to-egypts-streets?lite

Thanks, Obama. :rofl:

Good. Destroy the Brotherhood.

Rohirrim
07-27-2013, 01:00 PM
No surprise der Gaffo comes out in full-throated support for the Muslim Brotherhood. Anybody who wants to kill Jews is okay in Gaffo's book. The same guys who murdered Anwar Sadat are now whining because the Egyptian people refused to let the fanatics impose Sharia law on them. If the roles were reversed, the fanatics would have machine-gunned Morsi, not simply deposed him.