PDA

View Full Version : Upload Your Entire Mind and Become Digitally Immortal

Pony Boy
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years, Google expert claims

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google.

Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, also claims that the biological parts of our body will be replaced with mechanical parts and this could happen as early as 2100.
Kurweil made the claims during his conference speech at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress in New York at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2344398/Google-futurist-claims-uploading-entire-MINDS-computers-2045-bodies-replaced-machines-90-years.html

El Guapo
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
No thanks.

broncocalijohn
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Sounds like Terminator 4 for me.

Rohirrim
06-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Scientists can sometimes get so out there that they lose their minds.

orinjkrush
06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
and THEN we'll get our Jetson's space car!

B-Large
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I'll pass- I don't need to be greedy, I will take 75-80 quality years right now and bow out nicely with a massive, massive, massive coronary event.

ludo21
06-20-2013, 02:11 PM
I want to be a futurist at a conference and say whatever i want too.

Pony Boy
06-21-2013, 06:35 AM
I can see NFL teams with QB's having mechanical body parts and having their heads and arms ripped off and replaced during the game.

W*GS
06-21-2013, 07:53 AM
At least conservatives will take only a very small amount of space, about the same size as the old 3.5" floppies.

nyuk nyuk
06-21-2013, 10:45 AM
Man of Steel, Jor-El.

mhgaffney
06-21-2013, 05:17 PM
It sounds like a digital copy -- or duplicate.

But what will the duplicate mind be absent the soul?

W*GS
06-21-2013, 06:43 PM
It sounds like a digital copy -- or duplicate.

But what will the duplicate mind be absent the soul?

Since there's no soul to begin with, it cannot be absent.

orangeatheist
06-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Exactly.

So, sign me up! I'm all for this. Then, when ready, I can be downloaded into a Data-like android. Sweet!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5A-2Yn0o2wg/TODMkeamkeI/AAAAAAAADX8/osiz879IwEU/s1600/data2.jpg

http://media2.hpcwire.com/datanami/data_peeps.jpg

houghtam
06-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Exactly.

So, sign me up! I'm all for this. Then, when ready, I can be downloaded into a Data-like android. Sweet!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5A-2Yn0o2wg/TODMkeamkeI/AAAAAAAADX8/osiz879IwEU/s1600/data2.jpg

http://media2.hpcwire.com/datanami/data_peeps.jpg

Fully functional, of course.

nyuk nyuk
06-22-2013, 06:58 PM

At least in your case.

cutthemdown
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Trust me none of your minds will need a super computer or be worth saving. If they did you would only need an old apple II. Me? I would need at least a Commodore.

W*GS
06-22-2013, 09:45 PM
At least in your case.

So what's a soul made of?

Pony Boy
06-23-2013, 10:52 AM
So what's a soul made of?

The body is made of elements that deteriorate in time and the soul is made of pure time only.

W*GS
06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
The body is made of elements that deteriorate in time and the soul is made of pure time only.

WTF is "pure time"? Explain, please.

Bacchus
06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
We'll be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years, Google expert claims

In just over 30 years, humans will be able to upload their entire minds to computers and become digitally immortal - an event called singularity - according to a futurist from Google.

Ray Kurzweil, director of engineering at Google, also claims that the biological parts of our body will be replaced with mechanical parts and this could happen as early as 2100.
Kurweil made the claims during his conference speech at the Global Futures 2045 International Congress in New York at the weekend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2344398/Google-futurist-claims-uploading-entire-MINDS-computers-2045-bodies-replaced-machines-90-years.html

This story is buill****. I have already uploaded my entire mind on my thumb drive. Wasn't that hard.

Rohirrim
06-23-2013, 01:08 PM
Someday, our technology might find us inadequate and superfluous.

Doggcow
06-23-2013, 08:22 PM
As long as I can have orgasms.

If not, screw it.

W*GS
06-23-2013, 08:26 PM
As long as I can have orgasms.

If not, screw it.

Good point. ST:TNG made it clear that Data was "fully functional" and well-versed in all techniques, but whether or not he had orgasms was left unclear.

houghtam
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Good point. ST:TNG made it clear that Data was "fully functional" and well-versed in all techniques, but whether or not he had orgasms was left unclear.

I'm sure at the very least he was programmed to fake it.

So if the fembots have that capability, I'm good.

Meh, doesn't matter actually.

cutthemdown
06-24-2013, 05:19 AM
let's face it in the future the societies of the world will need a lot less people. The power that control everything will release flus and bacterias that only they have the vaccine or antibiotic for. Global warming will sap up all the water, lead to droughts, and starve the food supply of the 3rd world. Then the elite will live a life of luxury supported by extreme advances in technology. Robots that can do surgery, farm food, make everything, be your army. The only humans that aren't rich to be needed will be robot mechanics, hookers, and people who are really good at the arts. Writing, acting, music, painting etc. Then of course engineers to build better robots.

In the meantime though maybe the Broncos can win another superbowl or 2?

cutthemdown
06-24-2013, 05:21 AM

Of course he did he just couldn't enjoy it. That was the angst of being DATA!

cutthemdown
06-24-2013, 05:21 AM
He could do everything just like a human, but he couldn't enjoy it or gt happiness from it. hell he was the only interesting character on TNG outside of Captian Picard and Worf.

Arkie
06-24-2013, 11:39 AM
let's face it in the future the societies of the world will need a lot less people. The power that control everything will release flus and bacterias that only they have the vaccine or antibiotic for. Global warming will sap up all the water, lead to droughts, and starve the food supply of the 3rd world. Then the elite will live a life of luxury supported by extreme advances in technology. Robots that can do surgery, farm food, make everything, be your army. The only humans that aren't rich to be needed will be robot mechanics, hookers, and people who are really good at the arts. Writing, acting, music, painting etc. Then of course engineers to build better robots.

In the meantime though maybe the Broncos can win another superbowl or 2?

We can't comprehend what robots will do after singularity. They will be superior to humans in engineering, mechanics, and art.