PDA

View Full Version : Climate Change Might Be Good for Us?

Rohirrim
05-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Warmer and moister air ringing much of the planet – punctuated by droughts in other locales – is threatening the prime ingredients in many daily meals, including the maple syrup on your morning pancakes and the salmon on your evening grill as well as the wine in your glass and the chocolate on your dessert tray, according to four recent studies.

At the same time, an unappetizing bacterial outbreak in Florida citrus droves, largely affecting orange trees, is causing fruit to turn bitter. Elsewhere, unappealing fungi strains are curtailing certain coffee yields and devastating some banana plantations, researchers report.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/food-supply-under-assault-climate-heats-1C9909477

Dumbasses. :oyvey:

Rohirrim
05-16-2013, 11:05 AM
“We are in the midst of dramatic assault on the security of the food supply,” said Dr. Robert S. Lawrence, director of the Center for a Livable Future, part of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The group promotes ecological research into the nexus of diet, food production, environment and human health.

baja
05-16-2013, 11:10 AM
“We are in the midst of dramatic assault on the security of the food supply,” said Dr. Robert S. Lawrence, director of the Center for a Livable Future, part of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The group promotes ecological research into the nexus of diet, food production, environment and human health.

Make the quantum leap - learn how to live on sunshine

http://www.sungazing.com

Rohirrim
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Make the quantum leap - learn how to live on sunshine

http://www.sungazing.com

Also known as starvation. Ha!

slick7
05-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Climate change will most definately be good for the planet, not so much for the human race. I remember laughing when that guy from one of the Matrix movies, I forget which, said that human beings were a plague on the planet. The joke is on us now.

BroncoBeavis
05-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Well the change since the Late Pleistocene has been quite good.

I'd rather not see it's sequel. :)

Requiem
05-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Climate change will most definately be good for the planet, not so much for the human race. I remember laughing when that guy from one of the Matrix movies, I forget which, said that human beings were a plague on the planet. The joke is on us now.

Not really. It is going to lead to a mass scale raping of resources which is not only bad for humans, but bad for the planet too.

Rohirrim
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Not really. It is going to lead to a mass scale raping of resources which is not only bad for humans, but bad for the planet too.

If what happened on Rapa Nui so long ago is any indication of what we can expect... :pity:

slick7
05-16-2013, 06:01 PM

We are aleady raping resources on massive scales. The planet and mother nature will eventually kick us out and recover in a new way.

cutthemdown
05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
God put the resources here for us to use.

Rohirrim
05-16-2013, 07:33 PM

:spit:

baja
05-16-2013, 08:36 PM

That was one arguement for slavery.

It was considered a divine right for white people to own black people.

Kid A
05-16-2013, 09:29 PM

As fast as possible. Never mind future generations. He put them here for us. For us to use use use as fast as we can pull it out of the Earth and into the air.

Do you think, maybe, that if a God did entrust us with the Earth's resources, He may desire us to display a certain degree of stewardship/responsible use?

cutthemdown
05-16-2013, 11:28 PM
As fast as possible. Never mind future generations. He put them here for us. For us to use use use as fast as we can pull it out of the Earth and into the air.

Do you think, maybe, that if a God did entrust us with the Earth's resources, He may desire us to display a certain degree of stewardship/responsible use?

You're kidding right? We do lots to set aside national parks etc etc so we won't use up the whole world. We also have done a great job protecting the beauty of our country. Sure we have blown it here and there, we have pulled a lot from the Earth, but i won't let liberals make me feel guilty for living life.

Anyone who argues there is no stewardship is lying. We do try and be responsible. What do you call the EPA and all the laws? not trying at all? What about Bush Clinton, Obama all setting aside new land for parks and monuments. Hell Bush created a huge one in hawaii and I am pretty sure Clinton did some big ones as well. I am all for that when the land is that special.

cutthemdown
05-16-2013, 11:29 PM
But Kid I support using money to clean places up. Just think what Obama could have cleaned up with the 100's of millions he wasted on solar energy companies that failed.

Rohirrim
05-17-2013, 08:35 AM
But Kid I support using money to clean places up. Just think what Obama could have cleaned up with the 100's of millions he wasted on solar energy companies that failed.

A lot of early car companies failed. Should we have given up on the automobile?

Maybe from an environmental standpoint, yes. ;D

houghtam
05-17-2013, 10:58 AM
You're kidding right? We do lots to set aside national parks etc etc so we won't use up the whole world. We also have done a great job protecting the beauty of our country. Sure we have blown it here and there, we have pulled a lot from the Earth, but i won't let liberals make me feel guilty for living life.

Anyone who argues there is no stewardship is lying. We do try and be responsible. What do you call the EPA and all the laws? not trying at all? What about Bush Clinton, Obama all setting aside new land for parks and monuments. Hell Bush created a huge one in hawaii and I am pretty sure Clinton did some big ones as well. I am all for that when the land is that special.

So are you speaking out in favor of the EPA? Or are you just using it now that it suits your argument?

underrated29
05-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I find it funny that two years ago global warming was a myth, a lie.
One year ago it was global cooling and the earth was cooling down.
Now its accepted as climate change.

By the time the political idiots start to think for themselves and not their parties and look at what science shows, it might be too late.

mhgaffney
05-17-2013, 05:56 PM
It will be good for the banksters who profit from a carbon tax.

And good for cockroaches.

There is good news: before the mass purgation (i.e., before we all die from radiation), ********** shills like W*gs will swing from their testicles.

Take it to the bank.

MHG

errand
05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
A lot of early car companies failed. Should we have given up on the automobile?

Maybe from an environmental standpoint, yes. ;D

Yeah, but it wasn't funded by the government.....if people want to spend their money on trying to invent new sources of energy, feel free....quit using tax dollars to do so.

W*GS
05-17-2013, 09:04 PM
It will be good for the banksters who profit from a carbon tax.

And good for cockroaches.

There is good news: before the mass purgation (i.e., before we all die from radiation), ********** shills like W*gs will swing from their testicles.

Take it to the bank.

You're not much of a peace activist.

More like a pricktivist.

When was America at its apex, gaffe?

cutthemdown
05-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Dude don't you get sick of asking that stupid question over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...............

elsid13
05-18-2013, 05:26 AM

I know that truth doesn't matter any more, but the GAO report has stated that less then 5% of those investments are failures. From VC point of view that is outstanding risks analysis. Yes there has been some very widely reported public failures, but there is a very unreported stories about success.

BroncoBeavis
05-18-2013, 05:54 AM
I know that truth doesn't matter any more, but the GAO report has stated that less then 5% of those investments are failures. From VC point of view that is outstanding risks analysis. Yes there has been some very widely reported public failures, but there is a very unreported stories about success.

That's not really a fair comparison. Large majorities of that federal "venture" capital went to huge market players like Ford, Nissan, and Georgia Power. Where the government made actual venture-type bets, they did pretty terribly.

cutthemdown
05-18-2013, 06:49 AM
So are you speaking out in favor of the EPA? Or are you just using it now that it suits your argument?

Just pointing out the notion we as a human race don't do anything to protect the Earth is a joke. All over the world humans have set aside land not to rape. Sure we take a lot out of mother earth but its not a free for all.

elsid13
05-18-2013, 07:09 AM
That's not really a fair comparison. Large majorities of that federal "venture" capital went to huge market players like Ford, Nissan, and Georgia Power. Where the government made actual venture-type bets, they did pretty terribly.

Actually that not true. When I read the story I was surprised that over 50% of the funds went to small business or spin off from Universities/College grant programs. A lot of the success are small bio-fuel companies producing low carbon fuel blends from algae and other disposed plant stocks. Meanwhile solar companies are slowing lower cost and picking up market share this year (But the Chinese are still dumping solar panels on the world market to steal market share)

BroncoBeavis
05-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Actually that not true. When I read the story I was surprised that over 50% of the funds went to small business or spin off from Universities/College grant programs. A lot of the success are small bio-fuel companies producing low carbon fuel blends from algae and other disposed plant stocks. Meanwhile solar companies are slowing lower cost and picking up market share this year (But the Chinese are still dumping solar panels on the world market to steal market share)

http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/10/who-besides-solyndra-got-loan-guarantees/246637/
Obviously, there's a point to this. That is, I hope that the infographic will be broadly useful to people who support the program: I figure everyone should be interested to know where the money went. (And here's a spreadsheet for those who want to trundle through the data themselves). But I have highlighted what jumped out at me: most of the money has gone to enormous companies that should have no trouble accessing capital. Established utilities, large multinational auto manufacturers, a global warehouse owner. The bulk of these funds are not going to rectify some gap in the capital markets. They're straight subsidies to huge corporations. Even some of the smaller firms/deals are owned by large corporations like Total SA.

The article goes over it pretty well. But maybe she's wrong. Or maybe we're talking about two different things.

elsid13
05-18-2013, 07:31 AM
http://m.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/10/who-besides-solyndra-got-loan-guarantees/246637/

The article goes over it pretty well. But maybe she's wrong. Or maybe we're talking about two different things.

That is an older article, the report/story I'm referring to came out in the last couple of months. I'll try to find it.