PDA

View Full Version : OT:Reports: Trade that will take Alex Smith out of San Francisco is ‘all but done’

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Reports: Trade that will take Alex Smith out of San Francisco is ‘all but done’

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reports-trade-alex-smith-san-francisco-done-004247921--nfl.html

According to multiple reports, the San Francisco 49ers have wrapped up a trade that will put quarterback Alex Smith in a new city. Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reported via Twitter that the 49ers have sewed up negotiations with a willing trade partner. The interested team is not yet known, though Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com says that from everything he's heard around the scouting combine this week, the Kansas City Chiefs have a deal for Smith that is "all but done."

Thoughts?

Requiem
02-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Would probably be Kansas City's best bet so they don't have to blow #1 on a QB.

TheReverend
02-24-2013, 07:43 PM
3rd round pick?

That'd be my guess

Kaylore
02-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Part of me was hoping they blow their first overall on Geno Smith, but he just isn't worth it; No QB in this draft is. They will probably still draft a QB, but will take one in later rounds.

Popps
02-24-2013, 07:54 PM
The deal is done.

extralife
02-24-2013, 07:58 PM
He's a really good fit for KC and for Andy Reid. It's a no-brainer to me, and I'm thrilled the Niners are getting something for him. I think the Chiefs could win 7 or 8 games next year.

cutthemdown
02-24-2013, 08:01 PM
I wonder if they give up the 2nd round pick for him?

SouthStndJunkie
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
It sounds like San Francisco may have catfished....I mean worked out a trade with Kansas City.

I think Alex Smith is slightly above average at best.

An improvement over Sand Cassel, but not a franchise QB and someone you'd want to try and rebuild a floundering franchise around.

cutthemdown
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
3rd round pick?

That'd be my guess

I think more. Look what guys like Kolb went for. I think it could be more then a 3rd round pick.

FearLanier
02-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Trading for Alex Smith isn't what I want to do, but it will ease the pain if we draft a QB at 34.

I think this class has a few QB's that can be good, but they need to sit and develop first.

extralife
02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
but it will ease the pain if we draft a QB at 34.

let's hope you're giving up 34 instead

yerner
02-24-2013, 08:13 PM
seriously? andy reid and alex smith, that's the plan? hahaha.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-24-2013, 08:32 PM
Alex smith is exactly on par with KC QB failure. The Bay Area out here is throwing parties for his exit.

Archer81
02-24-2013, 08:34 PM
Apparently fate hates Alex Smith.

:Broncos:

DBroncos4life
02-24-2013, 08:39 PM
I can hardly wait for the KC trolls to pimp this move!

broncosteven
02-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Steve Bono 2.0?

I think Smith is a safe pick for them, he will be a good dink and dunk QB in Reid's system.

We will find out if the talent around him in San Fran made him look better than he was real fast.

Now they can use that 1st overall pick on replacing their LT instead of getting better!

COWheatGrower
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Would probably be Kansas City's best bet so they don't have to blow #1 on a QB.

Well that retread formula hasn't worked for them ---- Steve DeBerg, Elvis Grbac, Trent Green, Matt Cassel ---- at least in terms of ending their Super Bowl drought. Queefs fans are starving for a first-round, homegrown QB. They would rather take their lumps with a promising rookie than be competitive, but not quite great with a veteran.

txtebow
02-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Well the SF to KC gateway has worked fairly well for them in the past..(relative to the Chiefs otherwise mediocre abilities to find QB's--Trent Green was an exception over the past 25 years)

txtebow
02-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Well that retread formula hasn't worked for them ---- Steve DeBerg, Elvis Grbac, Trent Green, Matt Cassel ---- at least in terms of ending their Super Bowl drought. Queefs fans are starving for a first-round, homegrown QB. They would rather take their lumps with a promising rookie than be competitive, but not quite great with a veteran.

literally posted my same thought at the same time as me! :thumbs:

Lestat
02-24-2013, 09:08 PM
i don't like it. i wanted them to blow the pick on Geno.
now they can have Smith who can win games, pick a OT to protect him, but the real issue is the WR corps and the fact that Reid is allergic to a running game.

KCStud
02-24-2013, 09:09 PM
Steve Bono 2.0?

I think Smith is a safe pick for them, he will be a good dink and dunk QB in Reid's system.

We will find out if the talent around him in San Fran made him look better than he was real fast.

Now they can use that 1st overall pick on replacing their LT instead of getting better!

The irony in that is that this board says Branden Albert sucks. Now all of the sudden he's a great LT.

Which is it?

broncosteven
02-24-2013, 09:14 PM
The irony in that is that this board says Branden Albert sucks. Now all of the sudden he's a great LT.

Which is it?

Where did I ever say he was great? I know reading is hard for you but no where in my post did I say Albert was great. I just mentioned that if they paid Albert (they have the space to do it) they could use the pick for another need.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I wonder if they give up the 2nd round pick for him?

I'm hoping foe a 2nd and a 4th, with option for 3rd next year. :)

broncosteven
02-24-2013, 09:19 PM
kFc needs a couple G's, C, RT, couple WR's, couple TE's, couple DT's, a LB that is not a liablity in run support, a couple CB's, a Safety. Yet kFcstudly thinks it is acceptable to dump a guy who's contract ran out and use the 1st overall pick to replace him...

LOL

COWheatGrower
02-24-2013, 09:25 PM
If true, it's nice to know that more Queefs fans will die without knowing the thrill of winning a Super Bowl title.

razorwire77
02-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Going to be a pretty awesome meltdown going on at Chef Planet. At least if they reached for Geno Smith, they'd have an X-factor and some hope. Kid does have a fairly high ceiling.

Now, it looks like their fans are going to get a tiny-handed game manager QB and yet another top 3 DT in the draft. Or they could go LT, when they already have a good one. But I'm sure either Luke Joeckel or Brandon Albert would be totally cool with getting moved to guard.

:rofl:

Winning.

KCStud
02-24-2013, 09:51 PM
kFc needs a couple G's, C, RT, couple WR's, couple TE's, couple DT's, a LB that is not a liablity in run support, a couple CB's, a Safety. Yet kFcstudly thinks it is acceptable to dump a guy who's contract ran out and use the 1st overall pick to replace him...

LOL

The hyperbole in this post is pretty funny.

KC has some of those positions with good players or high draft picks who haven't gotten much time to play or prove themselves.

I want to keep Branden Albert, too, and so does our GM as reported.

Just because Scott Pioli (didn't he just get fired?) is on NFL Network thinking the Chiefs are going to take Luke Joeckel doesn't mean they will.

We have no idea who they are going to take.

Requiem
02-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I just hope they pick a loser.

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Alex smith is incredibly average and relied on a strong running game in SF. And yet he still held them back, especially in the red zone, and was replaced by a young guy with way less experience. Smith isn't as good as Cassel was coming from New England.

Bigdawg26
02-24-2013, 10:08 PM

Yeah me too! I hope it's KC to make it easier on the broncos. He aint that much better than Cassel and that's not saying much!

broncosteven
02-24-2013, 10:08 PM
Going to be a pretty awesome meltdown going on at Chef Planet. At least if they reached for Geno Smith, they'd have an X-factor and some hope. Kid does have a fairly high ceiling.

Now, it looks like their fans are going to get a tiny-handed game manager QB and yet another top 3 DT in the draft. Or they could go LT, when they already have a good one. But I'm sure either Luke Joeckel or Brandon Albert would be totally cool with getting moved to guard.

Winning.

Even if he cannot complete a deep pass at the Combine.... I hope they blow a 2nd or 3rd round pick on Geno just so we can watch him be forced to leave for Canada in a year or 2.

KCStud
02-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Andy Reid mentioned back issues about Branden Albert at the combine, so the Chiefs might have no choice but to draft a LT first overall.

TheReverend
02-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Andy Reid mentioned back issues about Branden Albert at the combine, so the Chiefs might have no choice but to draft a LT first overall.

No one cares. Please go.

FearLanier
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
I too have also heard about the back issues with Brandon Albert for the last month.

I honestly think the best plan is to do what Elway did last offseason: bring in a vet QB and draft a developmental QB QB in the 2nd round to take over after a few years when he's ready.

BroncoMan4ever
02-24-2013, 10:28 PM
3rd round pick?

That'd be my guess

I'd agree were it most any other franchise, but it is the Chiefs and the need is big. Probably going to wind up gifting SF a 2nd rounder.

BroncoMan4ever
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
My one question with KC is, "what happened with Stanzi?" So many were calling him the future for that franchise and now nothing.

boltaneer
02-25-2013, 01:41 AM
Could have had Russel Wilson, Dalton or Kaepernick the last two drafts but now they'll have to settle for trading for Alex Smith?

Nice! :rofl:

cutthemdown
02-25-2013, 02:46 AM
people are undervaluing Smith IMO. I do agree he is an avg starting NFL qb but in this league that is worth more then a 3rd round pick.

Schaub went for a first. Palmer went for a 1st. Pretty sure Kolb was more then a 3rd round pick. Cassel and vrabel for a first round pick etc etc. I could be wrong on my memory on a few of these but i do think enough information to say Smith probably would take that high 2nd round pick of the Chiefs.

extralife
02-25-2013, 02:51 AM
schaub, cassel, and kolb were all traded for second round picks.

but san fran has less leverage than those teams had in any of those deals. they owe smith $7.5 million on april 1. they aren't going to pay that under any circumstance.

cutthemdown
02-25-2013, 03:48 AM
schaub, cassel, and kolb were all traded for second round picks.

but san fran has less leverage than those teams had in any of those deals. they owe smith $7.5 million on april 1. they aren't going to pay that under any circumstance.

In the Schaub deal they also flop flopped 1st round picks. The Cassel trade i was wrong on it was a high 2nd rounder like you said. But Carson Palmer did get the 1st rounder.

I just think if Chiefs got Smith for a 3rd round pick that would be a great move for them. If you can get a QB was has taken teams to the playoffs for a 3rd round pick that IMO is a good move.

I really hope they have to give the 2nd rounder.

bowtown
02-25-2013, 05:25 AM
KC's 3rd is basically a 2nd.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Captain Small Hands to Kansas City?

What can I do to make this happen?

BroncoInferno
02-25-2013, 07:18 AM
He's solid as a stop-gap. It's definitely an upgrade from Cassel and Quinn. They'll still need to draft a guy, though. If not this season, then next.

CEH
02-25-2013, 07:22 AM
He's solid as a stop-gap. It's definitely an upgrade from Cassel and Quinn. They'll still need to draft a guy, though. If not this season, then next.

Not bad for KC. I equate Smith to Jake Plummer. A good journeyman QB who can do some good things with good players around him plus just like in Denver , Reid will be looking to find his replacement.

crowebomber
02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
They shouldn't have gotten rid of Kyle Orton if this is the kind of QB they wanted.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-25-2013, 09:04 AM
Plummer > Smith

Smith is more like an Orton. There's a reason so many Niners fans out here are loving the fact he's being shipped off. They've been calling for his demise here long before Kaep started playing.

Pick Six
02-25-2013, 09:06 AM
They shouldn't have gotten rid of Kyle Orton if this is the kind of QB they wanted.

Well, that was the old regime. Orton may have been the starter, if he was still in kFc...

Kaylore
02-25-2013, 09:48 AM
I'll laugh if they take a Tackle. One thing the Broncos have done well is draft guys that make big plays with their first round picks. Demaryius, Von - even Tebow. The Chiefs seem like they always take the safe pick that is "ok" but safe from busting. They never seem to take any game changers early. Add tackle to the list of "not a game changer."

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
They just got stuck in the habit of taking LSU busts. But they have tried at skill position with players like LJ and Bowe.

Lestat
02-25-2013, 10:02 AM
My one question with KC is, "what happened with Stanzi?" So many were calling him the future for that franchise and now nothing.

i never understood that nonsense. even experts on the draft were saying he was a steal. a steal of what? he choked in college, he's not that talented and he's a weak noodle armed QB.

BroncoBeavis
02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
You can't really criticize KC for this move in any way. There's no better option on the table anywhere. Draft or FA.

Tombstone RJ
02-25-2013, 10:13 AM
If KC gets Smith, they will still draft a QB, just a little later. Reid really wants Foles but unless kc makes philly an unbelievable offer, philly is not parting with Foles, especially because Vick can't stay healthy. I'm thinking kc brings in Smith, and takes a QB with their first pick of the second round.

Mountain Bronco
02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Smith isn't a great QB. Game manager at best. Remember when he was in the running for biggest bust of a #1 pick? Wasn't that long ago. Jim Harbaugh and the SF defense and Frank Gore made him look decent, but nothing more. Not the same situation in KC.

Good luck with that move.

maven
02-25-2013, 10:44 AM
If KC gets Smith, they will still draft a QB, just a little later. Reid really wants Foles but unless kc makes philly an unbelievable offer, philly is not parting with Foles, especially because Vick can't stay healthy. I'm thinking kc brings in Smith, and takes a QB with their first pick of the second round.

Then why not ship the pick for Foles and the Eagles can draft a rookie QB? Anyway, Reid will just draft another QB. Just not with the #1 overall pick. If the Alex Smith trade goes through, I would expect Cassel to be cut.

Tombstone RJ
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Then why not ship the pick for Foles and the Eagles can draft a rookie QB? Anyway, Reid will just draft another QB. Just not with the #1 overall pick. If the Alex Smith trade goes through, I would expect Cassel to be cut.

My understanding is the Eagles have said they are not interested in trading Foles. So again, if kc wants Foles they will have to overpay. As much as Reid (probably) likes Foles, he's probably not willing to give up the farm for him.

maven
02-25-2013, 10:56 AM
My understanding is the Eagles have said they are not interested in trading Foles. So again, if kc wants Foles they will have to overpay. As much as Reid (probably) likes Foles, he's probably not willing to give up the farm for him.

Makes sense. Reid will just draft another one.

The Chiefs just scored a bad year to get the #1 overall for a QB.

Even the year Jake Long went #1 overall Matt Ryan was there for the taking.:~ohyah!: LT #1 overall.:giggle:

Tombstone RJ
02-25-2013, 11:01 AM
Makes sense. Reid will just draft another one.

The Chiefs just scored a bad year to get the #1 overall for a QB.

Even the year Jake Long went #1 overall Matt Ryan was there for the taking.:~ohyah!: LT #1 overall.:giggle:

Yep! Last year kc takes the biggest flash in the pan/combine freak with their first pick instead of trading down and taking a QB in a hella deep QB draft. It's just a boat load of fail in kc.

TonyR
02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Could have had Russel Wilson, Dalton or Kaepernick the last two drafts but now they'll have to settle for trading for Alex Smith?

Fans of a team whose QB needs to find a magical rejuvenation machine probably shouldn't be laughing about this...

Houshyamama
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Edit: oh never mind

boltaneer
02-25-2013, 11:44 AM
There's also the Nick Foles rumor going around...

broncosteven
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Fans of a team whose QB needs to find a magical rejuvenation machine probably shouldn't be laughing about this...

We got Twilight waiting in the wings. should ease the transistion. It is not like we hunted for a QB last year and ended up with a dude who couldn't win his job back after injury.

TheReverend
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
We got Twilight waiting in the wings. should ease the transistion. It is not like we hunted for a QB last year and ended up with a dude who couldn't win his job back after injury.

He's talking about Rivers...

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
You can't really criticize KC for this move in any way. There's no better option on the table anywhere. Draft or FA.

We can criticize them for being in this position to have to reach in a bad QB market

ColoradoDarin
02-25-2013, 12:07 PM

I'd rather ship off two 2nds for Matt Flynn up in Seattle than a 3rd for Smith if I were them.

Bacchus
02-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Reports: Trade that will take Alex Smith out of San Francisco is ‘all but done’

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reports-trade-alex-smith-san-francisco-done-004247921--nfl.html

Thoughts?

In other startling news, the sky is blue! Repeat the sky is blue.

BroncoBeavis
02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
We can criticize them for being in this position to have to reach in a bad QB market

Be my guest :)

I'd rather ship off two 2nds for Matt Flynn up in Seattle than a 3rd for Smith if I were them.

Not me. Career backup with 2 starts vs a guy who was one special-teams FU away from a Super Bowl. And Kolb Jr's only a year younger than Smith. Even if you could get either for a 3rd, I'd probably still pick Smith.

maven
02-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Not me. Career backup with 2 starts vs a guy who was one special-teams FU away from a Super Bowl. And Kolb Jr's only a year younger than Smith. Even if you could get either for a 3rd, I'd probably still pick Smith.

Talking about Kolb, Flynn, and Smith. That has got to eat your innards as a KC fan.

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Talking about Kolb, Flynn, and Smith. That has got to eat your innards as a KC fan.

Could be worse. Jamarcus Russell is attempting a comeback you know. :)

bronco militia
02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F1Yl16Ykpl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncosteven
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/F1Yl16Ykpl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now I know why AnalHead empties out by the 3rd quarter.

broncosteven
02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
He's talking about Rivers...

My bad

boltaneer
02-25-2013, 02:56 PM

It's more about fixing the o-line issues than it is Rivers.

I'll continue to laugh about the Chiefs and their QB woes. :giggle:

Bacchus
02-25-2013, 03:29 PM

HAHAHA before the game even started. Come on pussy you can do better than that no wonder your team sucks ****!!!!

razorwire77
02-25-2013, 04:11 PM
As much fun as it is to laugh at KC front office fail, I think this "deal is done" story may just Alex Smith's agent trying to drum up some interest. I never remember a "deal is done" scenario weeks before the deadline that actually was done.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-25-2013, 04:19 PM
As much fun as it is to laugh at KC front office fail, I think this "deal is done" story may just Alex Smith's agent trying to drum up some interest. I never remember a "deal is done" scenario weeks before the deadline that actually was done.

Matt Barrows is a credible 49er insider and he's saying they still are shopping him. Never know who to believe anymore

broncosteven
02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Matt Barrows is a credible 49er insider and he's saying they still are shopping him. Never know who to believe anymore

The way NFL Live reported it, I got the impression that they meant more that it was a done deal that they were going to trade him and had a couple of trading partners interested.

Either way this goes I just hope it ends in fail for kFc it has been fun laughing at them this year.

errand
02-25-2013, 08:34 PM

Isn't KC Chief synonymous with loser?

errand
02-25-2013, 08:45 PM

They could do a lot worse than Alex Smith...keep in mind SF made it to NFCCG with him, and was a muffed punt away from the SB......doesn't mean Smith is a top notch QB, but it does mean if you put him in the right system and give him some decent talent, he can produce well enough to make it to a SB.

People on here said he had a good running game in SF....like Jamaal Charles can't generate a good run game in KC?

They said he had a good defense in SF....sure, but KC had a decent defense probably a player or two away from being as good as SF's

That's two elements that he benefited from in SF that could help him in KC

Agamemnon
02-25-2013, 08:51 PM
It's going to be interesting watching Alex Smith run an Andy Reid offense. I'll say that much. Here's hoping he's just good enough to keep them out of range of a great QB next year.

boltaneer
02-26-2013, 02:33 AM
They could do a lot worse than Alex Smith...keep in mind SF made it to NFCCG with him, and was a muffed punt away from the SB......doesn't mean Smith is a top notch QB, but it does mean if you put him in the right system and give him some decent talent, he can produce well enough to make it to a SB.

People on here said he had a good running game in SF....like Jamaal Charles can't generate a good run game in KC?

They said he had a good defense in SF....sure, but KC had a decent defense probably a player or two away from being as good as SF's

That's two elements that he benefited from in SF that could help him in KC

The problem is KC is not a 49ers type of football team. Not even close especially with Andy Reid in charge.

Teams like that need a power type of running game like the 49ers have. Not a boom or bust type that running backs like Charles provide. Not that it matters because Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball anyway.

The Chiefs defense is absolutely NOT a player or two away from being as good as the 49ers. (My jaw dropped when I read this.) They have Hali and a couple of other nice players but that's about it.

Who is this guy they brought in for their DC? He was the Jets DC while Mangini was there and produced very unspectacular defenses. Then he was demoted to LB coach when Ryan arrived and got promoted back to DC last year. Not that it matters because that was Rex's defense anyway but last year's defense was statistically the worst in the Rex Ryan era.

Everything about the Chiefs right now screams mediocre at best, just like Alex Smith. What a perfect fit they would be.

ol#7
02-26-2013, 03:40 AM
Makes alot of sense of KFC actually. There are no franchise QB's at the top of the draft. Bad year to have the pick.

I thought Smith had really came into his own before Harbaugh sandbagged him.

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 03:40 AM
He's a really good fit for KC and for Andy Reid. It's a no-brainer to me, and I'm thrilled the Niners are getting something for him. I think the Chiefs could win 7 or 8 games next year.

Please, this is another stupid is as stupid does move for KC.

Alex Smith had a great as in consistent running game and a great defense in SF , neither of which exist in KC and regardless of some of your man love for scat back Charles he isn't going to keep the heat off of Smith and BTW who the hell will he be throwing it to ?

Mark my words this will work about as well as Elvis Grbac did..........

****in morons can't even learn from their own earlier mistakes........

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 03:42 AM
The problem is KC is not a 49ers type of football team. Not even close especially with Andy Reid in charge.

Teams like that need a power type of running game like the 49ers have. Not a boom or bust type that running backs like Charles provide. Not that it matters because Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball anyway.

The Chiefs defense is absolutely NOT a player or two away from being as good as the 49ers. (My jaw dropped when I read this.) They have Hali and a couple of other nice players but that's about it.

Who is this guy they brought in for their DC? He was the Jets DC while Mangini was there and produced very unspectacular defenses. Then he was demoted to LB coach when Ryan arrived and got promoted back to DC last year. Not that it matters because that was Rex's defense anyway but last year's defense was statistically the worst in the Rex Ryan era.

Everything about the Chiefs right now screams mediocre at best, just like Alex Smith. What a perfect fit they would be.

Smart and accurate take even if you are a Chugger fan .....................

ol#7
02-26-2013, 03:45 AM
Makes alot of sense of KFC actually. There are no franchise QB's at the top of the draft. Bad year to have the pick.

Rohirrim
02-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Geno Smith is down on his knees somewhere, praying that the Chiefs get Alex Smith.

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 08:03 AM

Yep, Trent Dilfer looked pretty good with a stout defense and consistent running gane....consistent being the main word.........

Charled stuffed for a loss or getting 1 yard and then on third and long you expect Smith to throw the ball to who exactly ?

Crap...our coach didn't trust PFM on third down with all our receivers WTF do you think ANDY REID will do on third and long ?

If he is smart just go ahead and punt it..............lol

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 08:18 AM
I so hope Smith signs a huge deal with KFC. I don't think he is much better than Cassell. He takes care of the ball better but I believe Cassell is the better passer.

Archer81
02-26-2013, 08:27 AM
Yep, Trent Dilfer looked pretty good with a stout defense and consistent running gane....consistent being the main word.........

Charled stuffed for a loss or getting 1 yard and then on third and long you expect Smith to throw the ball to who exactly ?

Crap...our coach didn't trust PFM on third down with all our receivers WTF do you think ANDY REID will do on third and long ?

If he is smart just go ahead and punt it..............lol

Philly passed the ball 59.9% of the time last year, which I believe is the norm for a Reid led offense. So it will go pass on 1st, pass on 2nd. Lets completely fool them and pass on third. Punt. He had McCoy, who is one of the better backs in the league. Charles better make alot happen with the 8-13 carries he will get a game.

broncocalijohn
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
I so hope Smith signs a huge deal with KFC. I don't think he is much better than Cassell. He takes care of the ball better but I believe Cassell is the better passer.

Come on! I would take Smith over Cassell anyday of the week. Of course that would not include Monday because no way in hell that the NFL is going to put that ****ty team on prime time to start the week.

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Come on! I would take Smith over Cassell anyday of the week. Of course that would not include Monday because no way in hell that the NFL is going to put that ****ty team on prime time to start the week.

I would take Smith over Cassell any day of the week as well because he takes care of the ball better, he does not fumble or throw ints and is a decent leader. That being said Cassell is the better passer and the difference between them is not so much that KC should be thinking playoffs if they sign Smith.

In fact if i had the option of trading for Smith or just drafting Geno at #1 I'd draft Geno at 1 and go from there. With the new rookie wages the Chefs won't get burned on his salary and why waste 3 or 4 years with Alex Smith as your QB?

boltaneer
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
IMO the Chiefs go conservative and go with the safe choice in Alex Smith.

broncocalijohn
02-26-2013, 01:36 PM

They already went liberal by blowing a ton of money based on a better system with better players and 1 year to view from a backup college QB. I don't blame them for going this route and still have the #1 pick for a better need in a class with no Top 10 QB.

Can we add to the infamous stat of Chiefs with no drafted QB having a win since (1999?)?

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Safe guess since they haven't made a real splash in free agency in my lifetime so yea you are probably correct.

Rother8
02-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Geno scares me much more than Alex Smith.. as much as possible from the Chiefs that is. If I'm Charles I'm begging for Vick, Geno, anyone that would give the Chiefs a non-dink and dunker for the first time in anyone's memory. Except Tyler Palko. That dude could ball.

crush17
02-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Geno scares me much more than Alex Smith.. as much as possible from the Chiefs that is. If I'm Charles I'm begging for Vick, Geno, anyone that would give the Chiefs a non-dink and dunker for the first time in anyone's memory. Except Tyler Palko. That dude could ball.

Let's not forget the other Tyler - Tyler Thigpen.

Agamemnon
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Philly passed the ball 59.9% of the time last year, which I believe is the norm for a Reid led offense. So it will go pass on 1st, pass on 2nd. Lets completely fool them and pass on third. Punt. He had McCoy, who is one of the better backs in the league. Charles better make alot happen with the 8-13 carries he will get a game.

This is not a good fit for Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a quality game manager, but if he's asked to pass constantly he is going to struggle.

jerseyboiler120
02-26-2013, 03:37 PM
I can see Charles being used to catch passes in the same way McCoy did. Alex Smith can do this.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-26-2013, 03:42 PM
This is not a good fit for Alex Smith. Alex Smith is a quality game manager, but if he's asked to pass constantly he is going to struggle.

Exactly. In SF it got to a point where he didnt even look to attempt a pass over 15 yards. Smith is pretty much Orton without as many turnovers. Manager

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I can see Charles being used to catch passes in the same way McCoy did. Alex Smith can do this.

For christ sake that team is nowhere near good enough to make Smith look adequate like SF did.............there is a reason why he failed until landing in SF...................

I guarantee you this will blow up KC like a nuclear bomb.

Here is to them paying him millions...................

FearLanier
02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Alex Smith is easily the best choice right now. Geno Smith really scares me, especially after his interview with Mooch where he got confused.

I think Reid is going to go the same route Mike Shannahan did. Don't waste a 1st round pick on an average-at-best QB simply because it's a need. Build the team up with BPA philosophy and trade for a band-aid until you identify your guy in the draft.

And anyone who says Matt Cassel is better than Alex Smith should be shot. Cassel never beat good teams. Ever. He always played like **** and turned the ball over against good defenses.
At least Alex Smith has shown he can beat good teams.

He's an average QB, but he's much better than Cassel.

elsid13
02-26-2013, 04:41 PM
Evidently the Cardinals are now in the mix. Bidding War, can not wait for KC to trade a couple of picks for Smith.

Jetmeck
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Cardinals and the Chiefs....lol

Didn't the Cards throw a boat load of money at last years flavor of the month QB that hardly played for them last year.

Stupid..............

cutthemdown
02-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Cardinals could use a steadey vet like Alex Smith.

gunns
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
This reminds me of when we picked up Plummer. There was no alternative and that's where KC is.

But, as someone said, Smith works best in a good system. Maybe Reid will make it a better system but Smith also depends on a good running game and if Reid passes all the time......

Agamemnon
02-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Alex Smith is easily the best choice right now. Geno Smith really scares me, especially after his interview with Mooch where he got confused.

I think Reid is going to go the same route Mike Shannahan did. Don't waste a 1st round pick on an average-at-best QB simply because it's a need. Build the team up with BPA philosophy and trade for a band-aid until you identify your guy in the draft.

And anyone who says Matt Cassel is better than Alex Smith should be shot. Cassel never beat good teams. Ever. He always played like **** and turned the ball over against good defenses.

Cassel looked pretty good on a stacked team. Alex Smith looked pretty good on a stacked team. Seem pretty much the same to me.

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 07:07 PM

Not one person in this thread said Cassell was better than Smith.

BroncoMan4ever
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Evidently the Cardinals are now in the mix. Bidding War, can not wait for KC to trade a couple of picks for Smith.

i am going to laugh my ass off when someone drops a Cutler type deal for Smith.

Br0nc0Buster
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Are there any other FA qbs out there with starting experience?

Alex Smith doesnt suck, but I would not want to invest very much into him

If the Chiefs arent sold on Geno, they could always pick up a FA and get someone like a Bray or maybe a Tyler Wilson with their 2nd rounder

Frankly Geno looked too much like a system qb for me to be really confident in him, but at the same time it is not like this draft is top heavy with elite prospects

FearLanier
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Are there any other FA qbs out there with starting experience?

Alex Smith doesnt suck, but I would not want to invest very much into him

If the Chiefs arent sold on Geno, they could always pick up a FA and get someone like a Bray or maybe a Tyler Wilson with their 2nd rounder

Frankly Geno looked too much like a system qb for me to be really confident in him, but at the same time it is not like this draft is top heavy with elite prospects

That's my plan.

I'll accept Alex Smith if we draft a QB at 34 like Tyler Wilson or EJ Manuel.

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 08:41 PM
That's my plan.

Why would you want to spend at least $10 million a year on Smith and then draft Tyler Wilson in the 2nd. Draft Wilson in the second and let him battle it out with Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton or whoever KC has on there team.

extralife
02-26-2013, 09:07 PM
Cardinals and the Chiefs....lol

Didn't the Cards throw a boat load of money at last years flavor of the month QB that hardly played for them last year.

Stupid..............

What else are they going to do, trot out Ryan Lindley again?

The difference between Alex Smith and Matt Cassel or especially Kevin Kolb is Smith is a proven commodity. You can win with him in the right situation, and you can do so paying him less than ten million a year. For a marginal franchise with QB play as atrocious as Arizona's, that's not a bad bet.

Then again, there's no way I'm trading Smith in the division if I'm the Niners and there are other options available. He doesn't make the Cardinals scary, but you don't need to be scary to steal wins the in the NFL, and then all of a sudden the NFC West looks like a top tier division.

Tombstone RJ
02-26-2013, 09:15 PM
That's my plan.

I'd hate it if kc got Wilson.

FearLanier
02-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Why would you want to spend at least $10 million a year on Smith and then draft Tyler Wilson in the 2nd. Draft Wilson in the second and let him battle it out with Brady Quinn or Kyle Orton or whoever KC has on there team.

It was just reported that Cassel is about to be cut soon and Brady Quinn is a free agent.

I would be very comfortable with Alex Smith and Tyler Wilson. I think Wilson needs to develop a year or two, but he has everything you want.

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 10:06 PM
It was just reported that Cassel is about to be cut soon and Brady Quinn is a free agent.

I would be very comfortable with Alex Smith and Tyler Wilson. I think Wilson needs to develop a year or two, but he has everything you want.

Well, Smith is going to want a 5 year $50 million AT LEAST.

FearLanier
02-26-2013, 10:18 PM

I'm ok with 5. That's $2.25 million less than Cassel would make.

Chiefs have a lot of money and will have more after restructuring with guys like Tyson Jackson who are scheduled to make $14 million this year.

maven
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM

He's on a one year deal, but maybe the Cards/chiefs/stupid team is dumb enough to give him an extension. Let him play out the year.

I'm surprise there is really that much interest in him or the SF front office is blowing smoke. They are not going to pay him $8.5 million to sit on the bench.

Bacchus
02-26-2013, 11:21 PM
He's on a one year deal, but maybe the Cards/chiefs/stupid team is dumb enough to give him an extension. Let him play out the year.

I'm surprise there is really that much interest in him or the SF front office is blowing smoke. They are not going to pay him $8.5 million to sit on the bench.

Are the Chiefs and Cards the only teams interested?

TheReverend
02-27-2013, 12:34 AM
I'd hate it if kc got Wilson.

Same.

I really dig Wilson.

Archer81
02-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Are the Chiefs and Cards the only teams interested?

Probably others. Or more like "inquired". Cleveland, Jacksonville, NYJ, Oak maybe even Philly. The GM's there would not be doing the job if they did not at least ask.

cutthemdown
02-27-2013, 12:43 AM
If Chiefs get him for a 3rd round pick I would have to say that is a great move. Maybe not a we are going to win a superbowl with him good but plenty good to work on other areas with your high picks in the first, 2nd, 4th, 5th etc through the rest of the draft.

Chiefs would be smart to keep building offense around what Charles can do. That means block for him like when Priest Holmes was there.

boltaneer
02-27-2013, 01:05 AM
I'm ok with 5. That's $2.25 million less than Cassel would make.

Chiefs have a lot of money and will have more after restructuring with guys like Tyson Jackson who are scheduled to make $14 million this year.

You sign him for 5 years 50 million, you're stuck with him for probably most of that contract.

Cassell part deux!

extralife
02-27-2013, 01:42 AM
any starting QB that isn't on a rookie deal is going to get ten million a year. as long as you aren't doling out a huge signing bonus you can still cut him basically whenever without killing the cap. I don't think he has the kind of leverage to force a contract that will kill a team if he fails (again).

cutthemdown
02-27-2013, 02:52 AM
I think Smith better then Cassel though don't you guys? Not saying he's super exciting player but he can make some throws and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

Bacchus
02-27-2013, 04:50 AM
I think Smith better then Cassel though don't you guys? Not saying he's super exciting player but he can make some throws and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

If I felt Smith was what KC was going to do and I was a KC fan, I'd really just rather draft Geno at #1. You know what you are getting with Smith. Geno could be great, maybe not. Hell, I would take Barkley, Wilson or Landry over Smith. Smith is a conservative Kyle Orton.

mwill07
02-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Alex Smith has three (3) career games with >300 passing yards in 77 starts (counting playoffs).

As a starting QB, Alex Smith led teams had exactly one winning season in 5 years... a season with the #29 passing offense and the #4 scoring defense.

Alex smith, at this point, is not a difference maker. He is a care-taker. He can win games with a dominant defense and a stout running game.

I don't see him being successful in an Andy Reid offense that calls on him to make quick reads and get the ball out on time. He does have some mobility which Reid likes.

is he an upgrade over Cassel? i'm not sure. probably, but that's not really saying much.

Requiem
02-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Smith is lucky he came into the NFL @ age 20 . . . otherwise he would be done.

BigPlayShay
02-27-2013, 10:07 AM
@JayGlazer: 49ers have completed a trade with the Chiefs for Alex Smith, tho can't be official til March 12. Chiefs really made a commitment to Smith

@JayGlazer Deal has been agreed upon between Chiefs and 49ers. Compensation unclear but I'm told again Chiefs have made a clear commitment to Smith.

Rohirrim
02-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Prisco is saying two second round picks. ???

Kaylore
02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Smith is lucky he came into the NFL @ age 20 . . . otherwise he would be done.

http://brightcove01.brightcove.com/22/275353188001/201209/802/275353188001_1836658933001_091212-browns-weeden.jpg?pubId=275353188001

Requiem
02-27-2013, 10:14 AM
Prisco is saying two second round picks. ???

You have got to be ****ting me. LOL. !Booya!!Booya!!Booya!

Requiem
02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Some TimTakanoawoiaw twitter:

"An NFL source says that the framework of the deal is that the 49ers will get a No. 2 pick this year and a similar pick in the 2014 draft."

Bigdawg26
02-27-2013, 10:20 AM
YES!! I'm more excited then most cheifs fans! This is the Matt Cassel deal again! Now sign him to a big contract!

Rohirrim
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PbxMz5h11CU?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Requiem
02-27-2013, 10:21 AM
ChiefsPlanet is in full meltdown. Posters unfriending moderators who support the decision off Facebook, death threats to posters who support it.

Someone's signature tag line. .

Greatest Football Season Checklist:

1. Fantasy Football Championship. Check.
2. 'Team-killer' 'Team-killer' ***** and Crennel fired. Check.
3. Andy Reid hired. Check.
4. Chiefs draft Geno Smith.

^ LOOOOOOOOOL

Heyneck
02-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Hahahaha that's insane!!! 2 second round picks? Their 2nd this year is like a first rounder that kicks off the second day. While Smith is a huge upgrade over Cassel, he ain't nothing to get exited about (but you could say that about Montana too). He is an accurate passer that was surrounded by premier talent on O in SF. His OL was made most out of pro bowl first rounders. He had an all PRO TE (that in my opinion is the most under used weapon in the NFL), and solid WR, and frank gore.

Think the chief got a nice QB for their system, but at the cost of 2nd rounders? hahaha SF is laughing to the draft table.

FearLanier
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
The only year in recent history where an average FA QB is the best move for a franchise is the only year the Chiefs have the 1st pick.

I'm convinced God hates the Chiefs.

Requiem
02-27-2013, 10:29 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Chiefs will trade second-round pick this year - the top pick in second round - as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014.

Chiefs Planet HOF Worthy Quotes

Hey Andy Reid......got anymore other kids that can die?

Clark is a ****ing pussy

this franchise is aids

and all you true fans can die

what have we done to deserve this?

30 wasted years and this is what we get???

should have just kept ***** and watched it all burn

Requiem
02-27-2013, 10:35 AM
How Chiefs Fans Feel About Trade:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbj7gtrTtn1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Rohirrim
02-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Even Cubs fans are laughing.

Bigdawg26
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
And the rich get richer!! LOL! It just makes it easier for us!

extralife
02-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Better than I could have ever hoped for! Niners in position to do whatever the hell they want in the draft the next two years. This is fantastic.

DBroncos4life
02-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by The Rick
...I sure hope I don't see any of you trying to jump back on any bandwagon if this trade for Alex Smith works and we make the playoffs in the next couple of years.

If you're going to make your bed like that, you should have to lay in it. Talk about overreaction.

You'll all come back, eat crow, and state how wrong you were if time proves this was the correct decision, right?

I'm not overly excited about the trade...especially the compensation. I'm leaning towards the opinion that it's not a good trade, but I also recognize that there's a reason Reid/Dorsey get paid to do this stuff and I don't so I'll wait for the results of their decision before I start spouting off and making a fool of myself.

**** YOU. I'm done. Done with this moronic team, and done with moronic blowhards like you.

Get AIDS and DIAF.

:giggle:Hilarious!

Tombstone RJ
02-27-2013, 05:29 PM
The next melt down will be the draft. This will happen when kc becomes the first team in like, forever, to take a friggen offensive guard with the #1 overall pick.

DBroncos4life
02-27-2013, 05:38 PM
The next melt down will be the draft. This will happen when kc becomes the first team in like, forever, to take a friggen offensive guard with the #1 overall pick.

that would be bad for us.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
that would be bad for us.

Hilarious!

DBroncos4life
02-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Hilarious!

You think it would be a good thing if they take one of the best players in the draft?

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2013, 12:15 PM
You think it would be a good thing if they take one of the best players in the draft?

Let me put it this way: there's not a single team in the NFL that builds their franchise around a guard. If kc drafts a guard as their #1 pick then they have already lost.

Rumor has it they are trying to trade out of the #1, probably because they don't want to draft a guard as their #1 pick. Even if they can't trade the pick I doubt seriously they'd take a guard just on principle alone.

DBroncos4life
02-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Let me put it this way: there's not a single team in the NFL that builds their franchise around a guard. If kc drafts a guard as their #1 pick then they have already lost.

Rumor has it they are trying to trade out of the #1, probably because they don't want to draft a guard as their #1 pick. Even if they can't trade the pick I doubt seriously they'd take a guard just on principle alone.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how drafting a guy that could be a 10 time pro bowler has lost anything. Just because you don't think a OG should be drafted 1st doesn't mean he isn't one of or not the best player in the draft. I'm a big fan of drafting the best player in the NFL draft when I have the number one draft. Otherwise what the hell is the point.

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out how drafting a guy that could be a 10 time pro bowler has lost anything. Just because you don't think a OG should be drafted 1st doesn't mean he isn't one of or not the best player in the draft. I'm a big fan of drafting the best player in the NFL draft when I have the number one draft. Otherwise what the hell is the point.

It's a huge waste to draft a guard as the #1 pick of a draft. I have history on my side to prove this. If you research the history of the NFL draft, please tell me the last time a guard was taken #1 overall. I'm very curious myself because I don't ever remember it happening. If it did happen, were they playing in leather helmets too?

Ok, now tell me how many offensive guards there are in the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, tell me how this number compares to how many QBs there are in the Hall of Fame, or how many RBs there are in the HoF, or WRs, etc.

I'm not saying the guard position is not important. Obviously you absolutely need them on the offensive line and they are a building block and yes, they do very important things like protect the QB and help open holes for the running game. That being said, how much does a guard make in comparison to a QB or a RB?

The salaries alone should tell you the value of the offensive guards. So, let me recap. You don't take an offensive guard as the #1 overall pick because it's a waste of a pick. The proof of this is 3 tier:

1. Salaries, that is, how much a team pays the player dictates importance.
2. The Hall of Fame, how many offensive guards there are in it dictates importance.
3. The draft itself, how many offensive guards have been taken #1 overall?

So, if kc takes a guard #1 overall it will be extremely odd IMHO.

DBroncos4life
02-28-2013, 01:48 PM
It's a huge waste to draft a guard as the #1 pick of a draft. I have history on my side to prove this. If you research the history of the NFL draft, please tell me the last time a guard was taken #1 overall. I'm very curious myself because I don't ever remember it happening. If it did happen, were they playing in leather helmets too?

Ok, now tell me how many offensive guards there are in the Hall of Fame. Furthermore, tell me how this number compares to how many QBs there are in the Hall of Fame, or how many RBs there are in the HoF, or WRs, etc.

I'm not saying the guard position is not important. Obviously you absolutely need them on the offensive line and they are a building block and yes, they do very important things like protect the QB and help open holes for the running game. That being said, how much does a guard make in comparison to a QB or a RB?

The salaries alone should tell you the value of the offensive guards. So, let me recap. You don't take an offensive guard as the #1 overall pick because it's a waste of a pick. The proof of this is 3 tier:

1. Salaries, that is, how much a team pays the player dictates importance.
2. The Hall of Fame, how many offensive guards there are in it dictates importance.
3. The draft itself, how many offensive guards have been taken #1 overall?

So, if kc takes a guard #1 overall it will be extremely odd IMHO.
What is a huge waste at number one is drafting a bust. Lots of those could be had at the top of this draft this year.

The top guards are making just under 10 million a year now. I've already explained this on the board to another poster. Carl Nicks 5 years, 47.5 million dollars with 30 million of that guaranteed. That is the bar now and the injury risk alone is worth paying guards moew then running backs.

Honestly just who do you feel is the best player in this draft not a LT because KC already has one of those?

Tombstone RJ
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
What is a huge waste at number one is drafting a bust. Lots of those could be had at the top of this draft this year.

The top guards are making just under 10 million a year now. I've already explained this on the board to another poster. Carl Nicks 5 years, 47.5 million dollars with 30 million of that guaranteed. That is the bar now and the injury risk alone is worth paying guards moew then running backs.

Honestly just who do you feel is the best player in this draft not a LT because KC already has one of those?

So Nicks contract is great for a guard, but for a skilled position player, it's pretty average, right? How much is Revis Island wanting again? How much does Manning make in 1 year?

As for who I'd take if I was kc and stuck with the #1 pick? If that DT from Utah wasn't a medical issue, I'd take him, but since he's got that issue I'd probably take Floyd or Maybe Jordan. I'd probably go defense, maybe I'd still take a tackle if I can't get a deal done with Albert.

JMHO of course, we can always agree to disagree.

broncosteven
02-28-2013, 02:50 PM
Tombstone and DB4L We are talking about kFc.

Everyone knows they are going to use their 1st overall pick to reach on another DT!

They already traded for Steve Bono, Old boss same as the new boss!

Requiem
02-28-2013, 02:51 PM
Andy Reid will have a nervous break down and trade the #1 pick to a KC BBQ franchise who will select a kicker #1 overall.