PDA

View Full Version : Addressing the Running Back Position

SlyEli
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I was reading the Denver Post article about Ronnie Hillman and this stat stood out to me:

The team did not score a single rushing touchdown on a run longer than seven yards, and that scoring run came in the season opener against the Steelers.

Out of all the Rb's on the roster I don't see any big play threats. McGahee is an old plugger, Moreno improved last year but still has no speed. Hillman is not quite there yet...he's young and getting comfortable, but doesn't get enough tough yards to rely on every down.

The free agency class is strong at running back:

Steven Jackson is another plugger, but might not have much left. He probably will end up going back to the Rams anyway.

Reggie Bush seems like a perfect fit, as he provides the explosive threat at the position that the broncos are lacking. He can catch passes as well. He might be looking for a lot of money, though.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4tg_g1NYOfE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rashard Mendenhall powerful and fast. gets tough yards and has big play ability. Coming off an injury and maybe could be had for cheap?

Ahmad Bradshaw tough, solid complimentary runner. would be a great part of a rotation. His big problem is staying healthy.

Looking at the rest of the list, I don't see any other guys who would add much to the lineup. Ideally I'd like them to pick up Bush, and rotate him with McGahee for a thunder and lightning, but maybe I'm just dreaming.

If the prices are too high for the free agent crop (which is likely), they'll probably pick up a guy in the draft. The draft is nowhere near as deep as last year's, but there are a few solid guys.

Eddie Lacy I'm not really sold on. Yeah he's big and pretty athletic, but he's nowhere near the running back that Trent Richardson was coming out of Alabama last year. It's hard for me to get excited about drafting him with a first round pick, which is probably what it would take.

Gio Bernard I expected more watching his tape, he doesn't seem that fast. Not very flashy, but overall solid. Maybe I just haven't seen the right tape.

The best value is in guys like Montee Ball and Christine Michael. I like Ball's make-em-miss ability and production. Michael is a good combination of speed and power and presents game breaker ability. I wasn't impressed at all with Marcus Lattimore. And that's before the injury. He's no Adrian Peterson.

Here's some film of Michael: Look at the full speed cut he makes on the safety at (1:06)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LCVqxFeWFoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGahee gets all the tough yards, but is never a threat to break one. Moreno gets some of the tough yards, but is hardly if at all a big play threat. Hillman doesn't get tough yards but has the potential to make big plays.

In my dream world, we'd sign Bush as the lightning to McGahee's thunder. I think the offense lacks the legitimate threat at RB that Peyton has had in the past with Edge and Addai. We have enough money to sign a guy like Bush after cuts. I like Bradshaw though too.

I'd love Hillman to develop into a big time threat this season but I think he's a couple years away, and there's no time to way. What are your guys' thoughts?

ZONA
02-21-2013, 09:30 PM
I just don't see how you can't mention a guy like Shonn Green. He's better then anybody we have currently.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2013, 09:41 PM
is like a Boy Named Sue kinda thing>?

SlyEli
02-21-2013, 09:51 PM
I just don't see how you can't mention a guy like Shonn Green. He's better then anybody we have currently.

Green is the definition of average, and hasn't done much since his rookie year. I'm talking about picking up a guy that would improve the position. Green isn't better than McGahee.

DENVERDUI55
02-21-2013, 09:55 PM

Because outside of the playoffs his rookie year he has been dog poop. Very average at best running behind a good OL in a running system.

Ratboy
02-21-2013, 10:43 PM
The problem with Free Agency is that a lot of the RB considered to be "top" are or have been injured in the past. The only reason I don't list Reggie Bush is because Hillman fills that role.

Through FA--

1. Ahmad Bradshaw
2. Steven Jackson
3. Rashard Mendenhall

Through the draft -- while I would go through the draft for a running back, I'm not sure the Broncos will.

1. Eddie Lacy
2. Montee Ball

bowtown
02-22-2013, 04:06 AM

Shonn Green is terrible.

Ray Finkle
02-22-2013, 05:18 AM

Lance Ball is better than Shonn Green. He's got no lateral quickness. Everyone hangs to Green's 1 good post season game 3 years ago as opposed to the dump he is.

Bacchus
02-22-2013, 05:35 AM
I like Montee ball out of all the backs. He is big, strong and can catch. He would be great for shotgun-draws. That being said I do not want to use a first round pick on a RB. DT/CB/MLB are my first three choices fo rthe first pick.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 05:57 AM
The perfect RB in this years draft for the DEN offense is Stepfan Taylor STAN.
Dude is a workhorse with power inside the tackles and outside, can catch out of the backfield, and is a very good blocker in pass pro. Basically a plug and play RB day 1.

Obviously DEN needs another RB.
My top 5 RBs that DEN should go after in the draft.
1.Stephan Taylor STAN
2.Mike Gillislee FLA
3.Montee Ball WISC
4.Jawan Jamison Rutgers
5.Johnathan Franklin UCLA

My top 5 RBs DEN should go after in FA/RFA
1.Jonathan Stewart* (If CAR releases him!!!)
2.Chris Ivory (RFA)
3.Jonathan Dwyer (RFA)
4.Ahmad Bradshaw (Always injured)
5.Steven Jackson (Always injured)

Beantown Bronco
02-22-2013, 05:57 AM
I would go after Jonathan Dwyer long before I went after any other name in this entire thread.

Beantown Bronco
02-22-2013, 06:02 AM
Steven Jackson (Always injured)

Huh? He's missed a grand total of 2 games in the last 4 years and has averaged over 290 carries a season in that timeframe. The guy is nothing if not a workhorse back.

Having said that, I don't want him purely for cost reasons.

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
The perfect RB in this years draft for the DEN offense is Stepfan Taylor STAN.
Dude is a workhorse with power inside the tackles and outside, can catch out of the backfield, and is a very good blocker in pass pro. Basically a plug and play RB day 1.

Obviously DEN needs another RB.
My top 5 RBs that DEN should go after in the draft.
1.Stephan Taylor STAN
2.Mike Gillislee FLA
3.Montee Ball WISC
4.Jawan Jamison Rutgers
5.Johnathan Franklin UCLA

My top 5 RBs DEN should go after in FA/RFA
1.Jonathan Stewart* (If CAR releases him!!!)
2.Chris Ivory (RFA)
3.Jonathan Dwyer (RFA)
4.Ahmad Bradshaw (Always injured)
5.Steven Jackson (Always injured)

I'm not sold on Taylor. Catching out of the backfield is not one of his strong suits. Moreno proved how important a good rb receiver is in a manning offense. I wouldn't mind signing Jonathan Stewart, I liked him a lot coming out of the draft a few years ago

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Huh? He's missed a grand total of 2 games in the last 4 years and has averaged over 290 carries a season in that timeframe. The guy is nothing if not a workhorse back.

Having said that, I don't want him purely for cost reasons.

Yeah, he plays but hes always injured. But he plays anyways, and thats great, however hes always injured. He never seems to be full healthy, and so i just see him as too much of a liability for the money.
I like watching him play though, and hes a good teammate.

CEH
02-22-2013, 06:14 AM
We need to convert 3rd and 1s and make 2nd and 2 a free down to take a shot
Hillman is a young 20 year old RB who should get better and has that capability to add the big play unless you think he has maxed out after his first year. I think he has only touched the surface of his potential

I would love Jackson but I think he may stay in Stl because after their OLine started to gel you saw SJ producing better atleast this is what Fisher told ESPN

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:15 AM
I'm not sold on Taylor. Catching out of the backfield is not one of his strong suits. Moreno proved how important a good rb receiver is in a manning offense. I wouldn't mind signing Jonathan Stewart, I liked him a lot coming out of the draft a few years ago

Are you on crack cocaine!?!?
Taylor is VERY good at catching outta the backfield!

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Height: 5-9. Weight: 216. Arm: 29 5/8. Hand: 8 3/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
2/16/13: Taylor was phenomenal for Stanford in 2012 and was the workhorse for the Cardinal's offense. He carried Stanford to an upset win over USC with over 200 combined yards and two touchdowns. The senior followed that up with other big games against the likes of Oregon and UCLA.

Taylor averaged 4.8 yards per carry this year, having collected 1,530 yards and 13 touchdowns. He totaled 41 receptions for 287 yards with two scores through the air, too. Taylor showed three-down ability with his blocking and receiving. He had an excellent week of practice at the Senior Bowl that proved he could be a three-down player in the NFL. Nationally, Taylor is a sleeper prospect who could be a draft-day steal.

8/16/12: Taylor could be one of the more underrated players in college football. Quarterback Andrew Luck, guard David DeCastro and tackle Jonathan Martin have received more attention, but Taylor has been a critical player in Stanford's ongoing success. The underappreciated back averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 2011, rushing for 1,330 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also caught 25 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013RB.php

i4jelway7
02-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Falcons are cutting Michael Turner

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/22/falcons-expected-to-cut-michael-turner/

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 06:20 AM
Are you on crack cocaine!?!?
Taylor is VERY good at catching outta the backfield!

Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
Height: 5-9. Weight: 216. Arm: 29 5/8. Hand: 8 3/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
2/16/13: Taylor was phenomenal for Stanford in 2012 and was the workhorse for the Cardinal's offense. He carried Stanford to an upset win over USC with over 200 combined yards and two touchdowns. The senior followed that up with other big games against the likes of Oregon and UCLA.

Taylor averaged 4.8 yards per carry this year, having collected 1,530 yards and 13 touchdowns. He totaled 41 receptions for 287 yards with two scores through the air, too. Taylor showed three-down ability with his blocking and receiving. He had an excellent week of practice at the Senior Bowl that proved he could be a three-down player in the NFL. Nationally, Taylor is a sleeper prospect who could be a draft-day steal.

8/16/12: Taylor could be one of the more underrated players in college football. Quarterback Andrew Luck, guard David DeCastro and tackle Jonathan Martin have received more attention, but Taylor has been a critical player in Stanford's ongoing success. The underappreciated back averaged 5.5 yards per carry in 2011, rushing for 1,330 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also caught 25 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013RB.php

Maybe you're right, I haven't seen him catch the ball much in the few stanford games I watched, and I had heard he wasn't much of a good receiver. He's got little hands though. He's an intriguing physical specimen for sure.

oubronco
02-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Eddie Lacy*, RB, Alabama
Height: 6-0. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
2/16/13: Lacy's stock has been rising steadily since late in the 2012 season. The NFL loves his running ability with his power, quickness and elusiveness. Many believe that Lacy is the top back in the 2013 NFL Draft and has a real shot of going in the first round.

Lacy totaled 1,322 yards (6.4 average) and 17 touchdowns this season on only 204 carries. He was a power runner for Alabama and lost touches to standout freshman T.J. Yeldon. Lacy caught 22 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns, too. He had massive performances against Georgia (20-181) in the SEC Championship and Notre Dame (20-140) in the National Championship.

8/16/12: Lacy is a clone of the recent mold of Alabama running backs. Under head coach Nick Saban, they've been led by ball-carriers who have a combination of size, quickness and power.

Lacy was the backup to star back Trent Richardson as a sophomore last year. However, when Lacy received carries, he made the most of them running for 631 yards on 84 carries with seven touchdowns.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:31 AM
Maybe you're right, I haven't seen him catch the ball much in the few stanford games I watched, and I had heard he wasn't much of a good receiver. He's got little hands though. He's an intriguing physical specimen for sure.

To me, in the Manning offense, DEN needs a guy who can play 3 downs, and make the opposing defense have to account for him for all 3 downs.
That means he needs to excel at running well inside the tackles and outside, be able to drop off into the flats and catch balls, and be an excellent blocker in pass pro.
Basically, DEN needs Marshall Faulk. But we all know that aint happening.
And Shady McCoy aint gonna be traded to DEN anytime soon, so they need to look to the draft and find someone who already knows how to play in an offense that is somewhat close to what DEN runs, and has the experience to excel at doing all 3 of the above.
Stepfan Taylor has been doing it for 3 year now, and is very good at all 3.
The STAN offense is just a fantastic system to draft from, and Taylor fits what DEN needs perfectly. Gillisee is also very good at all 3 too.

elsid13
02-22-2013, 06:37 AM
The key for any draft running back is how well he is pass protect for us. Running the ball is easy compared to ensure that he keeps defenders clear of Manning. I am kinda interested in Knile Davis, good size back with experience pro style passing game.

Lestat
02-22-2013, 06:45 AM
Bernard is gonna be a beast in the NFL, but if you want to solve that issue in house, just run Holliday on reverses

Requiem
02-22-2013, 06:49 AM
Not mentioning Le'veon Bell out of Michigan State is a crime. The guy absolutely punishes defenders and not only is a downhill runner, but does well side to side and outside the tackles. He has shed weight (was 240 in college) for the combine looking to add more speed and agility. He can also catch too. I compare him to Michael Bush, but a better receiver than he is. Would be an excellent fit for this offense. Just the kind of thunder we need to Hillman's lightning.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Bernard is gonna be a beast in the NFL, but if you want to solve that issue in house, just run Holliday on reverses

Both Lacy and Bernard are really good. And Bernard is just a freak, electric playmaker. Ultimately, i would love to see Bernard gain about 7 lbs, and still be as fast, and turn into a 3-down RB. I have become very interested in the possibility of Bernard in the DEN offense.
However, i dont think DEN will spend a really high pick on the RB position. Just my 2 cents.

Rascal
02-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Not mentioning Le'veon Bell out of Michigan State is a crime. The guy absolutely punishes defenders and not only is a downhill runner, but does well side to side and outside the tackles. He has shed weight (was 240 in college) for the combine looking to add more speed and agility. He can also catch too. I compare him to Michael Bush, but a better receiver than he is. Would be an excellent fit for this offense. Just the kind of thunder we need to Hillman's lightning.

He, and RBs of his caliber, is the primary reason I think drafting a RB in round 1 is moronic.

Lestat
02-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Both Lacy and Bernard are really good. And Bernard is just a freak, electric playmaker. Ultimately, i would love to see Bernard gain about 7 lbs, and still be as fast, and turn into a 3-down RB. I have become very interested in the possibility of Bernard in the DEN offense.
However, i dont think DEN will spend a really high pick on the RB position. Just my 2 cents.

i think after the issues we've had getting the run game fully going and being consistent we will indeed take a RB in the top 2 rounds.
John Fox loves a running game and Elway knows that a potentially dominant running game is key for a aging QB.
the real issue is where do they rank the RB's value wise.

elsid13
02-22-2013, 07:09 AM
i think after the issues we've had getting the run game fully going and being consistent we will indeed take a RB in the top 2 rounds.
John Fox loves a running game and Elway knows that a potentially dominant running game is key for a aging QB.
the real issue is where do they rank the RB's value wise.

I think you get the same value out running backs in rounds 3 and 4 as you get in rounds 1-2 of this draft. The value of this draft appears to be in Defense line, OGs Corners and WRs. That were you focus early and look for steal in the runner later.

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 07:37 AM

I agree completely, I was a big advocate all season for getting Holliday involved in the offense. He played a couple games but only as a decoy. They may not have trusted him with the ball in his hands yet.

To me, in the Manning offense, DEN needs a guy who can play 3 downs, and make the opposing defense have to account for him for all 3 downs.
Stepfan Taylor has been doing it for 3 year now, and is very good at all 3.
The STAN offense is just a fantastic system to draft from, and Taylor fits what DEN needs perfectly. Gillisee is also very good at all 3 too.

But i think the NFL is different now than when Faulk was in the league. There aren't many true number one backs anymore. You have to find a group of guys that is good at a particular thing, like the thunder lightning combos of the giants (jacobs-bradshaw) and niners (gore-L.James). I'm not sold on Taylor bringing more to the table than McGahee. I think McGahee is more elusive laterally and an equally, if not more tough runner.

I'm gonna watch some more tape of him now. All I really remember of him is his hurdles earlier in the season, but he seems like a heckuva athlete for his size. I had no idea he was that big. He seems like a delanie walker h-back type at that size. edit: he's a beast. And he loves that hurdle move. I like the elusiveness. Why is he so lowly rated?

I don't have much faith in Lacy. He was so successful in college because he was bigger than everyone, an NFL running back playing in college. When he gets to the NFL and everyone is bigger, stronger, faster, I don't see him being as successful. He's not the as good as Ingram was, and Ingram hasn't panned out. There's way better value in the middle rounds.

cmhargrove
02-22-2013, 08:03 AM

+1

I am 100% on the Bell train. If I could have any RB from this year's draft on our team, it would be him. Landing him in the third round would be a total coup. He has all the tools we need, and will make our run game significantly more effective.

I'll throw out another name of a very solid player that can be had in rounds 3-5. Joseph Randle from Oklahoma State. He's a very productive back that plays with power and speed. He could be a solid 1-2 punch with Knowshon (which I think ended the season pretty strong).

socalorado
02-22-2013, 08:05 AM
I agree completely, I was a big advocate all season for getting Holliday involved in the offense. He played a couple games but only as a decoy. They may not have trusted him with the ball in his hands yet.

But i think the NFL is different now than when Faulk was in the league. There aren't many true number one backs anymore. You have to find a group of guys that is good at a particular thing, like the thunder lightning combos of the giants (jacobs-bradshaw) and niners (gore-L.James). I'm not sold on Taylor bringing more to the table than McGahee. I think McGahee is more elusive laterally and an equally, if not more tough runner.

I'm gonna watch some more tape of him now. All I really remember of him is his hurdles earlier in the season, but he seems like a heckuva athlete for his size. I had no idea he was that big. He seems like a delanie walker h-back type at that size. edit: he's a beast. And he loves that hurdle move. I like the elusiveness. Why is he so lowly rated?

I don't have much faith in Lacy. He was so successful in college because he was bigger than everyone, an NFL running back playing in college. When he gets to the NFL and everyone is bigger, stronger, faster, I don't see him being as successful. He's not the as good as Ingram was, and Ingram hasn't panned out. There's way better value in the middle rounds.

And thats great and all, but thats not the Manning offense.
Again, DEN needs a 3-down back in this offense, that can do all i referred to.
Hillman is the complimentary back.
And if Gio Bernard could just work on his pass pro, i could easily see DEN going after him. But Gio wont make it out of the top 45 picks.
DEN isnt gonna give the responsiblity of blocking blitzers coming at the 90 bazzilion dollar, 37 year old QB to a rookie who isnt very good at it.
We all saw how bad Hillman was in passpro, and Ball as well. Ugly.
But a rookie who has done it for 3 years in a pro-style sytem that has produced a bunch of 1st rounders in recent drafts like RB Stepfan Taylor, yeah i could see that.
Having 2 RBs is great, but teams will know when Manning is gonna throw and adjust if there isnt a 3-down threat in the backfield in this offense.
Thats why Moreno, when healthy was so effective.
Having 2 RBs doesnt change the necessity of having one of them be a 3-down RB that is legit in all phases.

Lestat
02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
I think you get the same value out running backs in rounds 3 and 4 as you get in rounds 1-2 of this draft. The value of this draft appears to be in Defense line, OGs Corners and WRs. That were you focus early and look for steal in the runner later.

there isn't a back i would really take in the first. but Lacy and Bernard are the best two backs in this draft and will pay immediate dividends. i don't see a RB in round 3-4 doing the damage those two can do.
developmental wise there are a few who will do well on the right team. but i want instant impact and a good or better career.

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 08:28 AM
And thats great and all, but thats not the Manning offense.
Again, DEN needs a 3-down back in this offense, that can do all i referred to.
Hillman is the complimentary back.
And if Gio Bernard could just work on his pass pro, i could easily see DEN going after him. But Gio wont make it out of the top 45 picks.
DEN isnt gonna give the responsiblity of blocking blitzers coming at the 90 bazzilion dollar, 37 year old QB to a rookie who isnt very good at it.
We all saw how bad Hillman was in passpro, and Ball as well. Ugly.
But a rookie who has done it for 3 years in a pro-style sytem that has produced a bunch of 1st rounders in recent drafts like RB Stepfan Taylor, yeah i could see that.
Having 2 RBs is great, but teams will know when Manning is gonna throw and adjust if there isnt a 3-down threat in the backfield in this offense.
Thats why Moreno, when healthy was so effective.
Having 2 RBs doesnt change the necessity of having one of them be a 3-down RB that is legit in all phases.

I buy the pass pro argument. But I still see Taylor as a jack-of-all-trades, master of none kind of guy. I don't think his size and power will translate as well to the nfl. He lacks the elusiveness of a guy like Bell from msu.

I haven't been impressed at all watching Bernard's tape, but everyone seems to be high on him so maybe they know something that I don't.

Requiem
02-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Would be completely floored if the Broncos spent their #1 or #2 on a RB.

Sounds like Carolina is actively shopping DeAngelo Williams, but with his cap # I don't see us being interested, despite the obvious links to John Nightfox.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 09:00 AM
I buy the pass pro argument. But I still see Taylor as a jack-of-all-trades, master of none kind of guy. I don't think his size and power will translate as well to the nfl. He lacks the elusiveness of a guy like Bell from msu.

I haven't been impressed at all watching Bernard's tape, but everyone seems to be high on him so maybe they know something that I don't.

And thats as good as it gets for a 3-down RB in this draft.
Slowshon is the master of none kind of guy, and he thrived when healthy.
Bell has HUGE concerns as a NFL RB.
1st, hes not elusive at all. Hes downright slow.
And by slow, i mean he never hits the hole with any kind of quickness.
he is projected to be a FB more than a RB in the NFL, and many dont think he will ever pan out as a RB.

I am not sure you understand the kind of RB that is needed in the
Manning-style offense. Again, Marshall Faulk is the model you want to look to. 3-down back. ( I know, a HOF calibur RB. Shady McCoy is an example of a "poor-mans" Faulk)

In the playoff game against BALT, ( I know. It still stings) there was a specific point in the game where DEN lost all its momentum.
No, it actually wasnt when Rahim blew it, and no it wasnt when Manning threw that pick in OT.
The momentum of that game was lost when Moreno went out of the game with the injury.
The offense became completely non-existant. It just ran out of gas.
Other RBs came in (Hillman, Ball) but the offense just took a dump and was stagnant. Hillman got some free yards here and there for the rest of the game, but BALT began to simply BLITZ the living crap outta Manning knowing that he couldnt throw if Moreno (or McGahee for that matter) wasnt in there.
BALT just sent in an extra blitzer for the rest of the game and wore down Mannings ability to create at the LOS.
And Hillman and Ball were literally decimated on pass-pro.
With no real threat from a RB that can run betweeen the tackles and outside of the tackles (Moreno), and catch out of the backfield (Moreno), like Slowshon did and scored a TD doing it in that playoff game, and most importantly pass protect (Moreno), and keep the opposong defense too scared to blitz for fear of a dump off (Moreno), or an adequate pass protecting RB(Moreno) that can take on an extra blitzer allowing Manning to torch a team throwing downfield, then DEN is in deep trouble.

Le'Von Bell is NOT the RB that DEN needs. Ron Dayne all over again.
Jonathan Stewart would be perefct, but thats a bit of a pipe dream.

Requiem
02-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Bell fits here just fine. He was playing at 240 pounds and showed good quickness for his size and deceptive speed down the field. If he sheds that weight, he is going to be more explosive. The big questions on him are consistent vision (as you alluded to with hitting the hole) and that he needs better effort in pass protection, which is said for almost every back coming out of college.

He has caught 30+ balls the past two years and rushed for over 2,700 and 25 touchdowns. Don't see how he is Ron Dayne all over again. The kid was legitimately one of the top backs in the country playing out of a pro-style offense. He is also a monster inside the 20. Definitely what we need. Agree to disagree. I would like to see all the quotes on people doubting his ability to be a RB in the NFL.

Doesn't look slow to me at all. http://www.youtube.com/embed/1r74G2Mm2xQ (http://www.youtube.com/embed/1r74G2Mm2xQ)

Not sure if that worked:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1r74G2Mm2xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Requiem
02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
Did you see that complete field reversal against Boise State in the end of that clip? He just went dummy. No way is that slow. Ron Dayne ain't do that.

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Taylor is way more of a Dayne clone. Big, bowling ball type. Straight linish. Bell is way better in space

Requiem
02-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Taylor is way more of a Dayne clone. Big, bowling ball type. Straight linish. Bell is way better in space

I'm riding the Bell train 4 life.

ZONA
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Shonn Green is terrible.

You and Ray are obviously lacking something upstairs. The dude is 225 pounds who can move around like a Ray Rice. You say he hasn't done anything since those playoffs but I'd like to point out, mind you, playing in an offense with Mark Sanchez as your starting QB and NO defense is playing pass at all against you, he still had over 1000 yards, 8TD's, averaged 3.9 YPC. And he's been pretty consistent, having averaged 5.0, 4.2, 4.1 and 3.9 YPC over 4 seasons, and we all know the last several years would have been even high had defenses not stacked, oh say 10 guys in the box, lol hahaha.

Now those aren't exactly Peterson numbers but when you consider they had no passing game at all and he still did what he did, that's pretty good. I could understand if you said you think he's a bit overrated or something. But to say he's terrible just shows you really have a lack of football IQ

socalorado
02-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Did you see that complete field reversal against Boise State in the end of that clip? He just went dummy.

Thats why there called "highlights".
Its easy to post the highlights of any player.

I have never seen anyone saying that Bell is a 3-down NFL back.
Theres a possibility, but theres the same possibility for any RB in this years draft. I do however like Bells quick feet though!
DEN could simply draft a late round back to push the pile, or keep McGahee.
The only RBs in this draft that currently before even entering the NFL have the ability already to play 3-downs as a rookie are Taylor, Gillisee, Franklin and Ball. And Ball has concussion issues.
Bells also already is trying to state hes gonna lose weight.
And many analysts have stated concernsd over his lack of speed hitting the hole. Dont care about trick, reverse plays.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 09:32 AM

:rofl:

Requiem
02-22-2013, 09:33 AM
I would take Bell over all of the running backs you listed, but I do like Franklin out of UCLA.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
I would take Bell over all of the running backs you listed, but I do like Franklin out of UCLA.

If your looking for a guy who can be a real sleeper. A RB that is under the radar and can do it all. Play all 3 downs and be a real steal then look no further than Stephon Jefferson of Nevada.
From all accounts hes just a really good guy with a ton of potential.

Requiem
02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
If your looking for a guy who can be a real sleeper. A RB that is under the radar and can do it all. Play all 3 downs and be a real steal then look no further than Stephon Jefferson of Nevada.
From all accounts hes just a really good guy with a ton of potential.

Oh believe me, he is on my board. Don't mention him ever again. Nobody can know he exists. :~ohyah!:

NFLBRONCO
02-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I'd love at least 2 new RB's this offseason but, with Fox we'll stand with what we have imo.

SlyEli
02-22-2013, 10:03 AM
Oh believe me, he is on my board. Don't mention him ever again. Nobody can know he exists. :~ohyah!:

He runs so high and stiff. Reminds me of Darren McFadden. My deep sleeper pick is John White from Utah. Will probably be undrafted. I also like Ray Graham from Pitt. He's got sick moves, very similar to Shady McCoy

DBroncos4life
02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Running Back weigh ins
Eddie Lacy 5'11 230....10 pounds above listed weight
Giovani Bernard 5'8 202...2 or 3 inches below listed hight
Montee Ball 5'11 214.
Johnathan Franklin 5'10 205
Le'Veon Bell 6'1 230...10 pounds below list weight
Mike Gillislee 5'11 208
Marcus Lattimore 5'11 221
Stepfan Taylor 5'9 214

Requiem
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Lacy is gettin' fat.

DBroncos4life
02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Lacy is gettin' fat.

Yeah now I know why he isn't running. :giggle:

yerner
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
You and Ray are obviously lacking something upstairs. The dude is 225 pounds who can move around like a Ray Rice. You say he hasn't done anything since those playoffs but I'd like to point out, mind you, playing in an offense with Mark Sanchez as your starting QB and NO defense is playing pass at all against you, he still had over 1000 yards, 8TD's, averaged 3.9 YPC. And he's been pretty consistent, having averaged 5.0, 4.2, 4.1 and 3.9 YPC over 4 seasons, and we all know the last several years would have been even high had defenses not stacked, oh say 10 guys in the box, lol hahaha.

Now those aren't exactly Peterson numbers but when you consider they had no passing game at all and he still did what he did, that's pretty good. I could understand if you said you think he's a bit overrated or something. But to say he's terrible just shows you really have a lack of football IQ

yeah, all the pro scouts compare greene to ray rice. stop making stuff up.

MVP-06
02-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Shonn Green is terrible.

This

KipCorrington25
02-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Shonn Green can't be good, McCheat passed him up to take Knowshow.

ZONA
02-23-2013, 10:01 PM
This

I think we just went over that. Over 4 YPC average is not terrible. For real, I'd like to know when 4 YPC average became "terrible" in the NFL. You ESPN highlight watchers have been so over saturated with superstars that anybody that doesn't put up Peterson type numbers must be "average" .

Arian Foster average was 4.1 - he must be "terrible" hahaha

Bigdawg26
02-23-2013, 10:12 PM
I would much rather take a RB in the third or fourth round. There would be PLENTY of good back to compliment Hillman.

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 12:04 AM
I think we just went over that. Over 4 YPC average is not terrible. For real, I'd like to know when 4 YPC average became "terrible" in the NFL. You ESPN highlight watchers have been so over saturated with superstars that anybody that doesn't put up Peterson type numbers must be "average" .

I had shonn green in fantasy so I paid close attention to him every week. He never put up good yardage or points.

ZONA
02-24-2013, 12:42 AM
I had shonn green in fantasy so I paid close attention to him every week. He never put up good yardage or points.

I can't tell you how to play Fantasy Football but taking a RB who splits all the carries is not really a great idea. Throw in a tad of horrid passing game and defenses stacking the box and what you have is a horrible fantasy player.

That said, he still had over 1000 yards rushing on half of the teams carries. Last year was his worst year in terms of YPC, which was still 3.9. As I already said, he's averaged 5.0, 4.1 and 4.2. You can't go by total yards alone and fantasy points. He basically averages 4 YPC. I'm not on here to try and convince anybody he's Adrian Peterson's clone. That he is not. I'm defending the notion that a 4 YPC average is not "horrible" in the NFL. I think if he can get to another team, the dude will have a great year. If he can get 350 carries, I think he can go for 1600 yards 12 TD's and a 4.5 YPC.

extralife
02-24-2013, 03:17 AM
I like how you are attacking people for some imagined standard of superstar-or-bust and then proceed to throw around a number like 1600 yards as if it were nothing, easily obtainable for mediocre players if they're just plopped in a team that is not the Jets. Do you know how many people ran for 1600 yards last year? 2.

And Greene has played on teams with excellent offense lines. The Jets can't wait to get rid of him, despite having exactly no one to replace him with.

Beantown Bronco
02-24-2013, 08:12 AM

Cherry picking ONE statistic to make an argument is never a good way to go. Try looking at the whole body of work.

Br0nc0Buster
02-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Just saw on NFL network that we will be hosting Shonne Greene

Have no idea why we are interested in him

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 09:39 AM
Just rewatched some of the highlights from Greene's best game-the playoffs versus the chargers his rookie year. His yards were due to great blocking and he went down on first contact every time except one play. Greene is a Lance Ball clone. I'd be pretty bummed if they sign him...

BroncosfanGuy
02-24-2013, 09:49 AM
Greene is like a less talented Ron Dayne, imo...draft a midround RB as the rotational power runner. not sure what the FO sees in Greene.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't get how Greene is really different from what we already have

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 10:07 AM
I don't get how Greene is really different from what we already have

He fits in with conservative foxball. why do you think the coaches love lance ball so much? He doesn't do anything great or bad, he's as average as can be, but he doesn't lose yards running sideways and contributes on special teams.

In all their conservatism the coaches don't realize the opportunity cost of opting for a guy like Ball or Greene, who have no chance to make a game changing play. They are limiting themselves.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2013, 10:47 AM
He fits in with conservative foxball. why do you think the coaches love lance ball so much? He doesn't do anything great or bad, he's as average as can be, but he doesn't lose yards running sideways and contributes on special teams.

In all their conservatism the coaches don't realize the opportunity cost of opting for a guy like Ball or Greene, who have no chance to make a game changing play. They are limiting themselves.

I dunno that that's true. They drafted hillman to be a game breaker

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 11:02 AM
I dunno that that's true. They drafted hillman to be a game breaker

I guess so. But I think that he completely fills that role in their minds, and I think that Fox still prefers the big plodders.

TonyR
02-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Greene pursuit mentioned here as well...

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/20966/sunday-notes-greenes-day-is-coming

SonOfLe-loLang
02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
I guess so. But I think that he completely fills that role in their minds, and I think that Fox still prefers the big plodders.

I guess so, but he sucks. And he's the definition of average, and you know he won't be paid peanuts. Don't get it.

SlyEli
02-24-2013, 11:20 AM
I guess so, but he sucks. And he's the definition of average, and you know he won't be paid peanuts. Don't get it.

Agreed. Doesn't make sense at all. If they are looking to fill the big back role, I'd like to see them take a shot at Le'veon Bell. He's got incredible power, and shake to go along with it.

BroncoMan4ever
02-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Leveon Bell in the 3rd and forget these washed up old guys.

Requiem
02-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Leveon Bell in the 3rd and forget these washed up old guys.

I would even move up to get him in the early third. I think he might go higher than our third rounder. He is going to be a stud. Perfect running mate for Ronnie.

BroncoMan4ever
02-24-2013, 12:24 PM
I would even move up to get him in the early third. I think he might go higher than our third rounder. He is going to be a stud. Perfect running mate for Ronnie.

I'd be fine with that. Our late 2nd would bug me too much if we used it on him.

Bacchus
02-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Pass on Green draft a RB and have McGahee, Moreno, Fannin, Johnson, Hillman all battle it out. Don't waste money on almost 30 year-old RBs.

Bacchus
02-24-2013, 12:51 PM
6. Hall of Fame role model: Wisconsin RB Montee Ball (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29208/montee-ball) had an interesting response when asked about his running style. He said his idol is former Bronco great Terrell Davis (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/790/terrell-davis), but added, "I feel I run a lot like Curtis Martin (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/775/curtis-martin)." That a college senior knows about the Jets' Hall of Famer, who last played in 2005, tells me something about the kid. A lot of 20-somethings have no idea about anything that occurred before 2010. Ball could be an interesting option for the Jets in the second round (39th overall).

ZONA
02-25-2013, 12:11 AM
If the Broncos sign Green, he'll be better then anybody we currently have. I think the Broncos are still gonna draft somebody at RB, that to me is a no brainer. I just think the Broncos don't feel they can count on Moreno and McGahee to stay healthy and so they'll draft somebody but want some experience coming in at the position. I think Green is alot better then some of you suggest. But, we've beaten that horse into the ground and then some. We shall see.

I just don't think we have a back on our current roster that has this in him - can read the blocks, explode through the hole, demolish the tackler and then outrun everybody to the endzone. McGahee doesn't have the speed to finish that play. Moreno isn't probably gonna break the tackle and he sure doesn't have the speed, Hillman isn't going to break that tackle, Hester doesn't have the speed to finish it. I just think this guy is a really good power back with very good speed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L8dtySlji1A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

socalorado
02-25-2013, 07:06 AM
If the Broncos sign Green, he'll be better then anybody we currently have. I think the Broncos are still gonna draft somebody at RB, that to me is a no brainer. I just think the Broncos don't feel they can count on Moreno and McGahee to stay healthy and so they'll draft somebody but want some experience coming in at the position. I think Green is alot better then some of you suggest. But, we've beaten that horse into the ground and then some. We shall see.

I just don't think we have a back on our current roster that has this in him - can read the blocks, explode through the hole, demolish the tackler and then outrun everybody to the endzone. McGahee doesn't have the speed to finish that play. Moreno isn't probably gonna break the tackle and he sure doesn't have the speed, Hillman isn't going to break that tackle, Hester doesn't have the speed to finish it. I just think this guy is a really good power back with very good speed.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L8dtySlji1A?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If DEN is looking at Greene seriously then i think the FO feels its time to get younger and Slowshon and McGahee are gone and DEN drafts a Stepfan Taylor or a Le'Veon Bell in the 3rd round. Maybe Franklin or Gillisee or Jamison all of which looked good in drills yesterday.
All of em were very good at pass catching and looked solid.
DEN gets a workhorse type to fill the McGahee role, who can block and is still young, but a veteran who knows his role in Greene, and then get a rookie to go next to him with Hillman as the change o pace guy.
This team desperately needs some solid youth and depth at RB.

BroncosfanGuy
02-25-2013, 11:33 AM
If the Broncos sign Green, he'll be better then anybody we currently have.

at what?

Bacchus
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
I like Montee ball out of all the backs. He is big, strong and can catch. He would be great for shotgun-draws. That being said I do not want to use a first round pick on a RB. DT/CB/ are my first choices for the first pick.

Oh yeah baby