PDA

View Full Version : Walton to remain starter

DBroncos4life
02-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Broncos | J.D. Walton will be starter
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:45:02 -0800

Denver Broncos head coach John Fox said C J.D. Walton (ankle) will be the starting center when he returns from his ankle injury. Walton is expected to be ready for training camp.

0 Comments | Source: The Denver Post - Mike Klis

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#ixzz2LYvzaaVe

phibacka31
02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Broncos | J.D. Walton will be starter
Thu, 21 Feb 2013 10:45:02 -0800

Denver Broncos head coach John Fox said C J.D. Walton (ankle) will be the starting center when he returns from his ankle injury. Walton is expected to be ready for training camp.

0 Comments | Source: The Denver Post - Mike Klis

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/NFL?page=0#ixzz2LYvzaaVe

water is wet...

TheReverend
02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Before FA and the draft this is completely irrelevant.

In the current C landscape, of course he'll start.

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
huh, why wouldn't he be the starter? Koppen isn't even on the team right now.

pricejj
02-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Cool, he can probably run block at this stage of his career better than Koppen anyway.

I liked what I saw out of him in 2012. Manning had him playing on another level.

CEH
02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
First zero gap blitz he misses Manning will ship his ass out of town

broncocalijohn
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Blake is a bust!

lonestar
02-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Cool, he can probably run block at this stage of his career better than Koppen anyway.

I liked what I saw out of him in 2012. Manning had him playing on another level.

:thumbs:

those that hate him because Josh drafted him will never get it..

He has developed into t damned fine center.. all PRO probably not but then seldom does a team have more than one OL pro bowler on it.. unless it is a super blow winning team..

but then those really great teams spend top draft choices on their LOS players also.. lets see how many of those have we done?

2008 - Denver Broncos
RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State
2007 - Denver Broncos
1 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2003 - Denver Broncos
1 20 George Foster T Georgia
1997 - Denver Broncos
1 28 Trevor Pryce DT Clemson

we all saw just how great moss and foster were ..

yet josh took two in the same year..

2010 - Denver Broncos

2 45 Zane Beadles G Utah
3 80 J.D. Walton C Baylor

at number 45 and 80 and both are developing into major forces..

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Blake is a bust!

It was kind of sounding like that in training camp. They sounded very disappointed in him. Hopefully he is just a slow learning and this year he'll be ready to go.

Ziggy
02-21-2013, 01:26 PM
:thumbs:

those that hate him because Josh drafted him will never get it..

He has developed into t damned fine center.. all PRO probably not but then seldom does a team have more than one OL pro bowler on it.. unless it is a super blow winning team..

but then those really great teams spend top draft choices on their LOS players also.. lets see how many of those have we done?

2008 - Denver Broncos
1 12 Ryan Clady T Boise State
2007 - Denver Broncos
1 17 Jarvis Moss DE Florida
2003 - Denver Broncos
1 20 George Foster T Georgia
1997 - Denver Broncos
1 28 Trevor Pryce DT Clemson

we all saw just how great moss and foster were ..

yet josh took two in the same year..

2010 - Denver Broncos

2 45 Zane Beadles G Utah
3 80 J.D. Walton C Baylor

at number 45 and 80 and both are developing into major forces..

Did you watch any games last year when Walton was in? It wasn't a coincidence that the line got better the minute he was replaced by Koppen. Walton is a backup caliber center in the NFL.

Play2win
02-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Did you watch any games last year when Walton was in? It wasn't a coincidence that the line got better the minute he was replaced by Koppen. Walton is a backup caliber center in the NFL.

Exactly.

Agamemnon
02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
ugh!~

ColoradoDarin
02-21-2013, 01:44 PM
Walton made a big improvement last year over the previous. Was is due to TWKPME - (The Well Known Peyton Manning Effect) or just good coaching (or both!) is yet to be seen. I don't mind if they give him another year or so to develop before they cut ties/make him a backup.

Agamemnon
02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Walton made a big improvement last year over the previous. Was is due to TWKPME - (The Well Known Peyton Manning Effect) or just good coaching (or both!) is yet to be seen. I don't mind if they give him another year or so to develop before they cut ties/make him a backup.

When Walton got hurt our o-line play improved. I really don't get where this idea that Walton was doing great before the injury comes from. The guy should be a backup, nothing more.

Crushaholic
02-21-2013, 01:50 PM
huh, why wouldn't he be the starter? Koppen isn't even on the team right now.

OK. I must have missed something...:hitself:

Lestat
02-21-2013, 04:02 PM

if Jones is available at our pick you send Walton on the first thing smoking. i think OG might be the bigger issue but that depends on Kuper getting fully healthy again.

Lolad
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
When Walton got hurt our o-line play improved. I really don't get where this idea that Walton was doing great before the injury comes from. The guy should be a backup, nothing more.

The offseason must be throwing people off. It's been noted that Walton has trouble with run blocking at the 2nd level and he does not anchor well at the POA.

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 05:43 PM

It was Walton's second year and he was with PFM! Of course a vet like Peyton is going to get along much better with a center like Koppen. Walton is in his 3rd year and there is no reason why he shouldn't be better.

ColoradoDarin
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM

So...... didn't really comprehend the post then.

ZONA
02-21-2013, 07:35 PM

And you don't think it was a coincidence that after he was hurt the schedule got about 100 times easier? Not to mention the first several games they really had to all learn how to sink up. By the time Koppen got in there they already had 4 or 5 games to somewhat gel, and then of course the schedule got much easier, as I said. I think Walton will do fine.

Play2win
02-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Joe Mays and Walton went down, and all of a sudden we go BETTER.

cutthemdown
02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
They said the same thing about Tebow until the signed Manning. Broncos need to get better inside on the oline.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Joe Mays and Walton went down, and all of a sudden we go BETTER.

To be fair, he also went down pretty earlier in the season and the Broncos got a whole lot better as a team.

lonestar
02-21-2013, 09:13 PM

Yet he graded out very well. Almost everyone with a keen eye saw it this way.

With a gazillion years as a center he could not beat him out in preseason or TC. Was there improvement in your eyes yes in most of the pros eyes no.

Koppen is/was a stop gap at best. He got run back into the pocket more than Walton would have latter in the year.

BTW John and John like the kid. So unless something happens like it or not he starts.

pricejj
02-21-2013, 09:25 PM

Not buying it. I used to dislike Walton too. But he was in the process of kicking it into another gear when he was injured.

If you think Koppen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are crazy. He was New England's 4th Center (whom they cut), and isn't very good at run blocking anymore.

...but I'm sure the Broncos coacihng staff is wrong, and you are right.

lonestar
02-21-2013, 10:47 PM

They had time under Josh. Then Fox comes in and changes most everything and they have NO offseason to learn stuff, next year Manning comes to town and everything changes again.

He was having his career year and since the hard part of the schedule was over how bad can koppens be considering he was a super vet. Has an inherent ability to make OL calls.

What irks most folks is that many of Joshes draftees are doing well now and they hate him so much that they have blind spots about the talent he brought in.

Someday that will get over it and move on many are still hung up on mikey not being here some are pissed that Fox is here some are flat ignorant.

ZONA
02-21-2013, 11:22 PM
They had time under Josh. Then Fox comes in and changes most everything and they have NO offseason to learn stuff, next year Manning comes to town and everything changes again.

He was having his career year and since the hard part of the schedule was over how bad can koppens be considering he was a super vet. Has an inherent ability to make OL calls.

What irks most folks is that many of Joshes draftees are doing well now and they hate him so much that they have blind spots about the talent he brought in.

Someday that will get over it and move on many are still hung up on mikey not being here some are pissed that Fox is here some are flat ignorant.

I have no problems at all who drafts who. I only care about production on the field. Let's not forget, Walton was just in his 2nd year when he was playing center in a normal offense, then it got switched up about midseason for the Tebow offense. Then they get PM and really a new style of offense altogether so he's had quite a bit thrown at him so early. I agree I thought he was really making nice strides before he got hurt. I think playing with PM is only going to help him understand line calls much better. I think his talent and his size/strength are just fine (6'3 305/ 34 reps). Once the mental things start clicking a little faster, he'll be a good center for a long time.

DBroncos4life
02-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Zona keep in mind you are arguing with someone that thinks Clady shouldn't be resigned because he was drafted by Shanahan.

cutthemdown
02-21-2013, 11:34 PM
I keep hearing Beadles/Walton/Kuper/Koppen are grading out well etc etc but when we play on Sundays we aren't very good at short yardage running. When we get inside the 10 yrd line it never seems like we can just power it in to the endzone like a good running team should be able to do.

cutthemdown
02-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I have no problems at all who drafts who. I only care about production on the field. Let's not forget, Walton was just in his 2nd year when he was playing center in a normal offense, then it got switched up about midseason for the Tebow offense. Then they get PM and really a new style of offense altogether so he's had quite a bit thrown at him so early. I agree I thought he was really making nice strides before he got hurt. I think playing with PM is only going to help him understand line calls much better. I think his talent and his size/strength are just fine (6'3 305/ 34 reps). Once the mental things start clicking a little faster, he'll be a good center for a long time.

Just seemed like he got rag dolled by the big DT in the league. He's a young player though he could still get better.

Ziggy
02-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Not buying it. I used to dislike Walton too. But he was in the process of kicking it into another gear when he was injured.

If you think Koppen is the greatest thing since sliced bread, you are crazy. He was New England's 4th Center (whom they cut), and isn't very good at run blocking anymore.

...but I'm sure the Broncos coacihng staff is wrong, and you are right.

Where did I say that Koppen was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I said that our line was greatly improved when Walton went out. Facts are facts. It has more to do with Walton than Koppen.

The Broncos coaching staff had to give Koppen time to learn the system. Koppen wasn't at training camp. He wasn't signed until after the first game. We have no idea if the coaching staff was going to make a change at center or not before the injury. There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.

Bacchus
02-22-2013, 05:40 AM
Where did I say that Koppen was the greatest thing since sliced bread? I said that our line was greatly improved when Walton went out. Facts are facts. It has more to do with Walton than Koppen.

The Broncos coaching staff had to give Koppen time to learn the system. Koppen wasn't at training camp. He wasn't signed until after the first game. We have no idea if the coaching staff was going to make a change at center or not before the injury. There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.

You are correct but i think it has more to do with Manning/Koppen than Walton/Koppen.

Koppen is a vet with SBs and used to running the no huddle offense. It all comes second nature to him. When he came into the lineup he was able to take charge and really work with Manning.

Walton was a second year player just trying to figure his own game out. I think Walton will be much better this year. Just like if he would have stayed in the line-up last year he would have improved greatly over the season.

2KBack
02-22-2013, 05:46 AM
There's a reason they brought in Koppen after Walton played in the preseason and the first regular season game. Try to keep up.

You mean other than the fact that we didn't have any halfway decent back ups in case of injury?

Bacchus
02-22-2013, 05:48 AM
You mean other than the fact that we didn't have any halfway decent back ups in case of injury?

I agree.

When Blake was put on IR they needed to sign a center. They did not sign a center because Walton sucked they signed Koppen because Blake was puton IR.

Lolad
02-22-2013, 06:01 AM
You think that they drafted Blake for depth? He was supposed to push Walton for a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't think Blake is working out we draft another OL that can play C/G

Beantown Bronco
02-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Hey, if Beadles can go from being ranked the worst OG in the league one year to probowler the next, anything is possible I guess.

socalorado
02-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Hey, if Beadles can go from being ranked the worst OG in the league one year to probowler the next, anything is possible I guess.

Its true!
Give the kid another year, and lets see what happens.

But re-sign Koppen too.

ZONA
02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
You think that they drafted Blake for depth? He was supposed to push Walton for a roster spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't think Blake is working out we draft another OL that can play C/G

Love your logic :rofl:

Wouldn't you say that any player drafted they have hopes will push to be a starter? Why else would you draft the guy if you didn't think he could improve his game and be a starter some day.

broncocalijohn
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Wouldn't you say that any player drafted they have hopes will push to be a starter? Why else would you draft the guy if you didn't think he could improve his game and be a starter some day.

So you think a few years back, when we drafted a 6th round pick at CB while we have Champ Bailey in his prime, is going for a starter position? Teams have realistic views of potential of a player. Teams will get a running back in the 2nd round and then in the 4th round because they need a starter and the 4th rounder might be able to take it and is drafted as depth or as insurance #2 doesn't work out. Many times you draft for depth knowing in a few years you will go get a stud to fulfill the retired (or free agent) player. It is a bonus for a 6th round player to become a starter. If they thought they can and was not a problem college player, why would they take that chance and draft him later?

Stop gaps are free agent signees and late round draft choices.

Agamemnon
02-22-2013, 11:18 AM
I keep hearing Beadles/Walton/Kuper/Koppen are grading out well etc etc but when we play on Sundays we aren't very good at short yardage running. When we get inside the 10 yrd line it never seems like we can just power it in to the endzone like a good running team should be able to do.

Our interior line has protection issues whenever they face good interior rushers as well. Every time people say anything good about our garbage interior line I just ::).

RaiderH8r
02-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Barrett Jones provides solid competition and depth across all three interior line spots. Just sayin'.

Ziggy
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Barrett Jones provides solid competition and depth across all three interior line spots. Just sayin'.

Jones is one of my favorites in this draft. The injury has dropped him down draft boards, but I still think he'd be a steal at 28 or lower. I could see Elway doing what he did with Wolfe last year and trading down to get his man.

Requiem
02-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Jones is a versatile player, but not worth it at #28 unless you think he is starting right away somewhere on the line for the team.

Lolad
02-22-2013, 12:19 PM

I don't feel like digging for the article but Walton was pissed they drafted a C. In the same round they drafted Walton!

Requiem
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Walton and Blake were not drafted in the same round.

DBroncos4life
02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
I actually like Blake and think he will push for a starting spot this year. A year of conditioning and core work should do him some good. He played RT and C at Baylor and squats 635 pounds. He is just a strong guy.

pricejj
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Both Fox and Elway have made it clear that Walton is the starter, and that they are happy with him. Hence the name of the thread.

They brought Koppen in as a solid vet presence who could teach Walton a lot, and contribute in case of emergency...kinda like Keith Brooking, and Jim Leonhard.

Like I said before, I used to dislike Trash Can greatly. He showed me fire last year, watching him play...I know Manning is pretty high on him too. That's enough for me.

pricejj
02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Jones is a versatile player, but not worth it at #28 unless you think he is starting right away somewhere on the line for the team.

I think a starting RG could be had in the draft fairly easily if necessary. Travis Frederick, Larry Warford, Brian Winters, or Alvin Bailey could all start at RG immediately.

Edit: Scratch off Frederick and Winters.

Add: Johnathan Cooper and Barrett Jones

Requiem
02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the depth at guard in this class is crazy. I think Jones will be a good NFL player, but I want someone who is gonna bosshog that candy on Sunday's. Score points. Make touchdowns. Slap a cheerleader or two. yadayaymean?

DENVERDUI55
02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
I personally would send Kuper his walking papers save his salary and draft a starting G in this draft.

Ziggy
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Req I think Jones would be starting at center by the time training camp is over. It would give us a guy that's strong enough to anchor the middle of the line against the big boys, and is athletic enough to get to the second level when needed. Nix is a future NFL starter. Jones dominated throughout the championship game with a torn ligament. Just another example of his ability.

There are some players who are highly decorated in college because they can dominate college level competition. Then there are the ones like Jones who are highly decorated because they are NFL caliber studs. Without the injury, the Broncos don't get him at 28. With it, Elway might be able to trade down to the upper 2nd and still get his guy.

pricejj
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
I personally would send Kuper his walking papers save his salary and draft a starting G in this draft.

Sounds like a great idea. Suddenly the Broncos may have enough scrilla to bring in Woodson and an impact DT.

OABB
02-22-2013, 05:04 PM
This is good news. I was afraid we would be good.

cutthemdown
02-22-2013, 05:24 PM

Wow you don't even give him a chance to come back? Not sure you can do that without an injury settlement?

I don't see anyway your way is the smart move. Kuper gets his chance to come back and be one of the 2 best guard on the team, start etc. Now if he ever wasn't the clear cut bst guard when healthy his salary would make him a target.

Play2win
02-22-2013, 05:25 PM

I think this would be a very good move.

DENVERDUI55
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow you don't even give him a chance to come back? Not sure you can do that without an injury settlement?

I don't see anyway your way is the smart move. Kuper gets his chance to come back and be one of the 2 best guard on the team, start etc. Now if he ever wasn't the clear cut bst guard when healthy his salary would make him a target.

It has more to do with his salary than anything. To me he isn't a 6 mil a year OG. I would rather have that money on other players and replace him with a bandaid like Moore or Slauson for half the price. I would even roll with a top G out of the draft. Kuper is paid way too much in my opinion. Yes I know his dad posts here but Denver's cap situation is getting up to where it is an issue.

cutthemdown
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
It has more to do with his salary than anything. To me he isn't a 6 mil a year OG. I would rather have that money on other players and replace him with a bandaid like Moore or Slauson for half the price. I would even roll with a top G out of the draft. Kuper is paid way too much in my opinion. Yes I know his dad posts here but Denver's cap situation is getting up to where it is an issue.

I still think Kuper our best guard when healthy so i wouldnt cut him loose just yet. But i agree its a great draft to grab a starting guard. We are bottom of round 1 so the value you is good IMO. But I like Warford and he is supposedly a 2nd round pick? We could actually draft DT, then OG and really improve the trenches where games are won. Just keep renting vet RBs on the free agent market. There are OG projected in first and 2nd rounds that could compete for a spot on the Broncos starting oline this yr IMO.

If it worked out you would probably part ways with Kuper next yr.

I think broncos love Kuper though and until he shows he isn't coming back they are sticking with him. They won't just cut him.

Bmore Manning
02-23-2013, 04:07 AM
It's strange, I mentioned cutting/trading Kuper because of his cap implications and caught serious stuff for it...

I would be very fine with taking Fluker and moving Franklin to Guard. Or I would be fine with taking Cooper/Warford to start at RG.

I would first try to get Kuper on a pay cut and have him compete at LG/C. We are in a short win now window, so I'm not too worried about Walton/Beadles being a reserve. Before the season started, nobody wanted either one to be a starter.

An OLine with Kuper at LG/C has the potential to be pretty special.

Play2win
02-23-2013, 07:13 AM
The dude is maxed out physically. Now, he is starting to breakdown. He's pretty close to outlived his usefulness.

pricejj
02-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Ankle joint problems are usually chronic (if that's what it is).

Lestat
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
drafting Jones at 28 would fix potentially one of 3 spots. C,RG or LG.
so ideally he's great value, my guess is he would be a C for us.

it'd be really huge if he came in and took over the C role, i think he has a chance to be a Pouncey type of C. hopefully without the injuries.
Jones wouldn't be my first choice(Montgomery or Floyd would be) but he'd fix some key issues for a cheap price.

broncosteven
02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
I like the idea of drafting a C or moving Kuper to C and moving Frankin down, then we need to get an RT.

I hate to see Kuper go, I hope his injuries heal up and he is back to 100%, he is a top 5 G when healthy.

Drafting great OLmen is always a good idea no matter what you have on the team. Depth is key. I still think we can find a solid RB later in the draft. MLB? Depends on what they decide to do with DJ.

Bacchus
02-23-2013, 03:05 PM
It's strange, I mentioned cutting/trading Kuper because of his cap implications and caught serious stuff for it...

I would be very fine with taking Fluker and moving Franklin to Guard. Or I would be fine with taking Cooper/Warford to start at RG.

I would first try to get Kuper on a pay cut and have him compete at LG/C. We are in a short win now window, so I'm not too worried about Walton/Beadles being a reserve. Before the season started, nobody wanted either one to be a starter.

An OLine with Kuper at LG/C has the potential to be pretty special.

Kuper is everyone's pet around here. You better watch what you say.

BroncoBuff
02-24-2013, 11:13 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5226/orlandoz.jpg

Now that they might actually be considering it though, I don't like the idea of moving Franklin. 1 - This draft is deep at guard, 2 - Beadles better than I thought (Pro Bowl?), 3 - They like Walton okay after all, 4 - Franklin grading out the #2 pass-blocking RT? No, let's keep him there. Draft a guard and hope Kuper rehabs.

I must echo, "cutting Kuper loose," that is some cold-blooded crazy-talk right there.

cutthemdown
02-25-2013, 03:45 AM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5226/orlandoz.jpg

Now that they might actually be considering it though, I don't like the idea of moving Franklin. 1 - This draft is deep at guard, 2 - Beadles better than I thought (Pro Bowl?), 3 - They like Walton okay after all, 4 - Franklin grading out the #2 pass-blocking RT? No, let's keep him there. Draft a guard and hope Kuper rehabs.

I must echo, "cutting Kuper loose," that is some cold-blooded crazy-talk right there.

Wouldn't it have to be an injury settlement? Whats the rule on cutting injured players? I just don't see it either. Broncos like Kuper and won't give up on him just yet. Now another yr of being injured, or if he comes back and doesn't play well, then maybe.

cutthemdown
02-25-2013, 03:52 AM
Kuper is everyone's pet around here. You better watch what you say.

Yep I got beat up pretty bad for not being on the Kuper bandwagon. And that was just for not agreeing he was a pro bowl player. I just said i thought for NFL level he was sort of an avg starter.

Still though avg at this level means you have done really well for yourself. He's still when healthy our best guard though. I think we draft a guard, let Kuper heal, and that solves our problem at guard for this yr. I think there are about 4 OG we could look at rounds 2-4 that could help.

I like brian winters and Warford and they could be had after the first round.

Bmore Manning
02-25-2013, 04:10 AM
If Kuper was cut it would accelerate any pro rated bonus money. He didn't end the year on IR, so I don't see why he couldn't be outright released. But we would owe him any bonus money, which would all accelerate to this years cap.

As far as talent is concerned, I think Beadles and Walton and all the OLine members for that matter benefited from the placebo known as the PM effect. Because those two are the weak links, I would have no issue with replacing Kuper at LG/C.

I also have no issue with using the non exclusive tag on Clady, getting outbid by say a team like Arizona/San Diego and using their first round pick on that stud Lane Johnson.

Requiem
02-25-2013, 06:53 AM
There are some good RT in this class, but if the Broncos are doing their homework they should see the treasure trove of OG available in this class. Draft one to be Kuper's replacement and after next season (if he doesn't get better) send him packing.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 07:35 AM
I think there's too much pigeon-holing of Barrett Jones in here ... over and over calling him "versatile" as if he's 'Jack of All, Master of None.' and I think that's pretty wrong.

He was named All-America three years running (at 3 positions), and he won both a Rimington and an Outland. So he didn't just play three positions, he was the best in the country at each.

Rascal
02-25-2013, 08:07 AM
So if we move Franklin to guard this year, what becomes of Beadles/Kuper? Beadles just made the pro-bowl, so I can't see him getting demoted and he has shown consistent growth the past two seasons.

The only thing I can envision is the release of Kuper which is sad, but not surprising considering his huge health concerns. Apparently the Broncos are preparing to move on from Kuper. If so, that bumps RT to the top of the priority list.

What is the cap hit/savings if we release Kuper?

Requiem
02-25-2013, 08:26 AM
I think there's too much pigeon-holing of Barrett Jones in here ... over and over calling him "versatile" as if he's 'Jack of All, Master of None.' and I think that's pretty wrong.

He was named All-America three years running (at 3 positions), and he won both a Rimington and an Outland. So he didn't just play three positions, he was the best in the country at each.

I'll bet you $20 he isn't selected in the Top 40.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 08:47 AM
I'll bet you $20 he isn't selected in the Top 40.

Can't bet money right now, I'm saving up to buy a present for TheReverend.

But I'll take the bet for a couple beers when I see you ... so 9th selection 2nd round or later ... you win. Fair enough.

Usually I use my 'Leinart-Bush Logic' on guys like Jones ... that is, players who excel on great teams are overrated. But this one's different ... 3 All-Americas, an Outland AND a Rimington? So I'll take yer bet and yer gonna regret he's the best who ever ... was picked #28 ;D

Requiem
02-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Sounds good to me, Buff. Hope all is well with ya.

Bmore Manning
02-25-2013, 09:23 AM
So if we move Franklin to guard this year, what becomes of Beadles/Kuper? Beadles just made the pro-bowl, so I can't see him getting demoted and he has shown consistent growth the past two seasons.

The only thing I can envision is the release of Kuper which is sad, but not surprising considering his huge health concerns. Apparently the Broncos are preparing to move on from Kuper. If so, that bumps RT to the top of the priority list.

What is the cap hit/savings if we release Kuper?

Whatever his salary is this year minus any remaing bonus money. I wouldn't mind reworking Kuper's contract and putting him at Center. I still think he upgrades Beadles at LG.. I think that's a placebo effect of PM. In fairness Charlie Johnson looked like a stud LT for PM.. He was a LG in Minny the past two years..Clady may also help Beadles look better, especially in pass protection.

Rascal
02-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Whatever his salary is this year minus any remaing bonus money. I wouldn't mind reworking Kuper's contract and putting him at Center. I still think he upgrades Beadles at LG.. I think that's a placebo effect of PM. In fairness Charlie Johnson looked like a stud LT for PM.. He was a LG in Minny the past two years..Clady may also help Beadles look better, especially in pass protection.

From what I remember, Beadles looked pretty good with Tebow and Clady wasn't 100% that year either.

Bmore Manning
02-25-2013, 09:38 AM
From what I remember, Beadles looked pretty good with Tebow and Clady wasn't 100% that year either.

Does Kuper upgrade Beadles or Walton on talent?

Rascal
02-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Does Kuper upgrade Beadles or Walton on talent?

A 100% Kuper, yes.

maven
02-25-2013, 10:08 AM

I've mentioned cutting Kuper several months back. I could see the team draft a replacement and cut Kuper at the end of next season. Too much money there, but they will probably bring him back for a year.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
All this cut Kuper crap is getting a bit old. How many guys now have said some form of "wait, I said cut Kuper too, maybe ___ months/years ago!" It's not a badge of honor, it's self-flagellation. Why? Because Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me. He's the perfect everyman, a big lug who thawed out of an arctic childhood, looked past the experts who said he'd go undrafted, listened, learned and made it to the top. Shanahan gave him a couple of big lug kicks in the rear at first, but he kept his head down and made himself a $25 million dollar man.

Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams, he has to go to at least one Pro Bowl, cause I have the perfect title for his autobiography: "From Alaska to Hawaii: How I traded in my arctic youth for a millionaire's life on the beach."

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams

Kuper hasn't been named to any All-Pro teams.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 10:37 AM

To preface, I think Tebow got and is still getting a bit of a raw deal ... too many unimaginitive, conformist offensive coaches. But that said, it must've been really frustrating to block for him, especially for a prototype pass-protecting OT like Clady ... and apparently Franklin too, he graded the #2 pass-blocking RT. And Beadles to the Pro Bowl? Just a 2nd alternate, but that basically makes him the 5th best OG in the conference? You might say popularity contest, but most players take their voting very seriously (I remember Steve Watson yelled and almost swung at a guy who looked at his ballot ... Mike Haynes and Raymond Claiborne).

No surprise how much better the linemen are this year ... Manning might be the best ever at pocket presence and awareness, and release. Whereas you kinda never knew where TT would be.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Kuper hasn't been named to any All-Pro teams.

What part of "Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me" don't you get? :moody:

• Named a first-team All-Pro selection by The Dallas Morning News (Rick Gosselin) in 2011 after starting all 16 regular-season games and helping the Broncos lead the league in rushing with a team-record 2,632 yards.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Chris-Kuper/306c3339-32be-4d9f-a694-8930baa7bc7b

It's not AP, but it's something right?

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
What part of "Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me" don't you get? :moody:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Chris-Kuper/306c3339-32be-4d9f-a694-8930baa7bc7b

It's not AP, but it's something right?

There are three "official" All-Pro Teams—one each named by the Associated Press (AP), Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA), and Sporting News

The Dallas Morning News can do what they want I guess, but it carries about as much official weight as an OMane All-Pro Team, if we decided to start one up.

BroncoBuff
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
You're right, we all remember Peter King naming Ryan Harris 1st-team All-Pro ... I'm not sure he started 10 games after that.

But look at the money ... $28 million is alotta scratch for a guard, he must be doing something right.

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NFL/3966.jpg
Look closely at this picture, my fellow BB,
and tell me once again ... when exactly
did you say "Let's cut Kuper!!"

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2013, 11:19 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/images/headshots/NFL/3966.jpg
Look closely at this picture, my fellow BB,
and tell me once again ... when exactly
did you say "Let's cut Kuper!!"

When Kaylore came on here and posted that Kuper wasn't circumsized. Oh, crap, wait a sec......

enjolras
02-25-2013, 11:22 AM
There are three "official" All-Pro Teams—one each named by the Associated Press (AP), Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA), and Sporting News

The Dallas Morning News can do what they want I guess, but it carries about as much official weight as an OMane All-Pro Team, if we decided to start one up.

Out of curiosity...what makes them "official"? Does the NFL hand out and actual award based on those?

Beantown Bronco
02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
Out of curiosity...what makes them "official"? Does the NFL hand out and actual award based on those?

They are the longest running (50+ years) and poll what are considered to be the largest and most knowledgeable groups of "experts". The others you may hear about seem to be simply one or a handful of people coming up with their own lists and they haven't been around for very long in comparison.

I don't believe the NFL actually has any actual partnership with the "official" all pro lists.

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 12:18 PM
All this cut Kuper crap is getting a bit old. How many guys now have said some form of "wait, I said cut Kuper too, maybe ___ months/years ago!" It's not a badge of honor, it's self-flagellation. Why? Because Chris Kuper is you, Chris Kuper is me. He's the perfect everyman, a big lug who thawed out of an arctic childhood, looked past the experts who said he'd go undrafted, listened, learned and made it to the top. Shanahan gave him a couple of big lug kicks in the rear at first, but he kept his head down and made himself a $25 million dollar man.

Besides, even though he's been named to a few All-Pro teams, he has to go to at least one Pro Bowl, cause I have the perfect title for his autobiography: "From Alaska to Hawaii: How I traded in my arctic youth for a millionaire's life on the beach."

I will help with the "unofficial" autobiography... I have to laugh at how 12 mos completely changes some of the people on this board. I don't even take it personal because for some people it's the only place that anyone will even lend any credence to what they write/say because in real life they can't even get in and out of their car without hurting themselves. I would not bet against Chris coming back and being as good or better than he has ever been. I'm not sure many guys have been nominated "All Pro" after playing only 5 complete games in the season. I am pretty sure that those guys have forgotten more about football than pretty much ALL of us myself included. Then when I see guys like Cutthemdown if not praise the way he has played for the Broncos at least temper his criticism I know I'm on the right track. To his credit he has been one of Chris' biggest critics over his career but has been able to at least put together decent rationale for his criticism. As far as the 28 mil... he earned that money the first 6 years of his career by being a good team guy and playing well for relative peanuts compared to others. That and knowing how much he has suffered this last season (for those that thrive on revisionist history, his first ankle injury occurred on Jan1,2012) I would be livid if they asked him to give back anything although knowing what a good guy he is I'm sure he would do it if he felt it would help the team. I feel the same way about Champ, and others who have put their time in and sacrificed their future for the team's present. Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.

Requiem
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
For the record, I said that Kuper only needed to be replaced if he does not bounce back from injury. I think everyone here HOPES that. As someone who got to see Kuper play at UND (I went to NDSU, so it wasn't a far trip) -- it was pretty cool to see him become a Bronco. Very few guys from UND/NDSU make it to the pros. :)

How is his rehabilitation going?

Bacchus
03-05-2013, 12:28 PM
I will help with the "unofficial" autobiography... I have to laugh at how 12 mos completely changes some of the people on this board. I don't even take it personal because for some people it's the only place that anyone will even lend any credence to what they write/say because in real life they can't even get in and out of their car without hurting themselves. I would not bet against Chris coming back and being as good or better than he has ever been. I'm not sure many guys have been nominated "All Pro" after playing only 5 complete games in the season. I am pretty sure that those guys have forgotten more about football than pretty much ALL of us myself included. Then when I see guys like Cutthemdown if not praise the way he has played for the Broncos at least temper his criticism I know I'm on the right track. To his credit he has been one of Chris' biggest critics over his career but has been able to at least put together decent rationale for his criticism. As far as the 28 mil... he earned that money the first 6 years of his career by being a good team guy and playing well for relative peanuts compared to others. That and knowing how much he has suffered this last season (for those that thrive on revisionist history, his first ankle injury occurred on Jan1,2012) I would be livid if they asked him to give back anything although knowing what a good guy he is I'm sure he would do it if he felt it would help the team. I feel the same way about Champ, and others who have put their time in and sacrificed their future for the team's present. Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.

It's a message board. We talk football, I don't see why we cannot talk about Kuper's contract as opposed to other players. A hundred people on this board are trying to get rid of Doom. It is nothing personal and I do not hide behind my keyboard. Kuper has a high cap number and he has what appears to be a possibility of a chronic ankle injury. I'm sure the Broncos are discussing his cap number like we are. And I can see you are taking it personal, so at least admit that.

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
For the record, I said that Kuper only needed to be replaced if he does not bounce back from injury. I think everyone here HOPES that. As someone who got to see Kuper play at UND (I went to NDSU, so it wasn't a far trip) -- it was pretty cool to see him become a Bronco. Very few guys from UND/NDSU make it to the pros. :)

How is his rehabilitation going?

I know, I understand that it's a business and have no problem with anything you have said. I'm sure you can pick out the ones I'm talking about. He just got into his 2nd cast for another 6+ weeks of no weight on it but he is doing good... he gets to spend a lot of "quality time " with his kids and is getting ready to go to Baltimore to pick up the "Ed Block Courage Award" in 10 days. He doesn't have a terrible life by anyone's definition. But when he is my age, I'm sure he will feel it.

Requiem
03-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I know, I understand that it's a business and have no problem with anything you have said. I'm sure you can pick out the ones I'm talking about. He just got into his 2nd cast for another 6+ weeks of no weight on it but he is doing good... he gets to spend a lot of "quality time " with his kids and is getting ready to go to Baltimore to pick up the "Ed Block Courage Award" in 10 days. He doesn't have a terrible life by anyone's definition. But when he is my age, I'm sure he will feel it.

I didn't even hear he won that award. That is an honor. :)

Thank you for the update as well. Glad to hear he is getting to spend time with his family.

Take care!

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 12:46 PM
It's a message board. We talk football, I don't see why we cannot talk about Kuper's contract as opposed to other players. A hundred people on this board are trying to get rid of Doom. It is nothing personal and I do not hide behind my keyboard. Kuper has a high cap number and he has what appears to be a possibility of a chronic ankle injury. I'm sure the Broncos are discussing his cap number like we are. And I can see you are taking it personal, so at least admit that.

You don't know anything about his injury. As far as whether it's chronic or not... you probably need to get off of the "chronic" since one season does not a chronic make. You can talk about anything you want, that's in the constitution. You also have the right to look silly and I've seen you exercise that as well. As far as the cap, it is what it is. But if you are looking strictly at cap numbers as well as becoming the team doc by knowing whether someone has a long term injury or not knock yourself out but please note my statement about looking silly. There are a lot of guys with knee injuries on the team that have more chance of being chronic than an ankle that may not have been fixed correctly the first time.. Walton had the same injury as Chris and the same surgery, just a different doc and procedure than Chris had the first time due to the fact that this procedure was fairly new when Chris got injured.

Bacchus
03-05-2013, 01:00 PM
You don't know anything about his injury. As far as whether it's chronic or not... you probably need to get off of the "chronic" since one season does not a chronic make. You can talk about anything you want, that's in the constitution. You also have the right to look silly and I've seen you exercise that as well. As far as the cap, it is what it is. But if you are looking strictly at cap numbers as well as becoming the team doc by knowing whether someone has a long term injury or not knock yourself out but please note my statement about looking silly. There are a lot of guys with knee injuries on the team that have more chance of being chronic than an ankle that may not have been fixed correctly the first time.. Walton had the same injury as Chris and the same surgery, just a different doc and procedure than Chris had the first time due to the fact that this procedure was fairly new when Chris got injured.

and LIKE I said this is a message board. He re-injured his ankle and ankles have lots of little bones and healing can take a lot of time and they can get re-injured easier. Again this is a message board where **** gets thrown against the wall. If he comes back healthy great, he is Denver's second best lineman. Elway has said basically the same thing in the Denver Post. Kuper was injured and we do not know how he will come back from it. He said that himself, paraphrasing of course.

Not very many relatives post on message boards or at least make their name known I imagine because a lot of the stuff they read makes them feel defensive.

He has a high cap number and he played in only 6 games last year due to multiple injuries. ON ANY team that makes you a target for message board discussion.

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 01:17 PM
and LIKE I said this is a message board. He re-injured his ankle and ankles have lots of little bones and healing can take a lot of time and they can get re-injured easier. Again this is a message board where **** gets thrown against the wall. If he comes back healthy great, he is Denver's second best lineman. Elway has said basically the same thing in the Denver Post. Kuper was injured and we do not know how he will come back from it. He said that himself, paraphrasing of course.

Not very many relatives post on message boards or at least make their name known I imagine because a lot of the stuff they read makes them feel defensive.

He has a high cap number and he played in only 6 games last year due to multiple injuries. ON ANY team that makes you a target for message board discussion.

That's the diff between you and Elway...He has enough info to know what the **** he's talking about... I didn't see the part where he said the injury was chronic... must have missed that dream.

Bacchus
03-05-2013, 01:27 PM
That's the diff between you and Elway...He has enough info to know what the **** he's talking about... I didn't see the part where he said the injury was chronic... must have missed that dream.

He never said it was chronic and NEITHER did I. I said it COULD BE chronic. Again message board. Discussion. But Elway did say they are interested in drafting OL because of injuries. It has been discussed Franklin should move to guard. I am not making this up and it is all about discussion. What I or anyone else on this board type has no bearing on what happens at the Broncos Complex.

You are the only one paying attention to me. Instead of getting all defensive just put me on ignore. It does work very well.

Requiem
03-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Bacchus. Ten minutes in the corner. Dunce hat on. No posting.

Bacchus
03-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Bacchus. Ten minutes in the corner. Dunce hat on. No posting.

Why, because a players dad gets upset that we are talking about injuries, cap figures and possible cuts? Ok, I am done.:afro:

Requiem
03-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Why, because a players dad gets upset that we are talking about injuries, cap figures and possible cuts? Ok, I am done.:afro:

Since Chris is a Denver Broncos player and Mr. Kuper posts here -- you could be in trouble for family smack on Chris.

JK.

:-*

Drek
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Kuper doesn't make that much by starting OL standards. He's making less than half the franchise tag, so pretty average for a long time starter.

He's also the elder statesman of the OL at just past 30.

When he was healthy the OL was clearly far better, and most importantly Franklin played his best football having an experienced vet next to him.

Spending draft picks to replace a guy of his caliber and at a relatively young age for the position is much more expensive in terms of opportunity cost than the $4.5M he'll make next season. Drafting a young interior OL guy to groom and challenge Beadles, Walton, and Kuper long term? Sure, in the middle rounds. But the early picks need to be focused on defense and giving Manning more weapons (RB and WR), not backfilling a hole we created to save a few sheckles.

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 02:55 PM

I responded to you after you made statements that I knew to be untrue..now who is getting pissy

DENVERDUI55
03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Anyway thanks to the people who have supported him this past year+ (you know who you are) and "Fack you" to those who hide behind their keyboards and throw daggers at people who kill themselves for your entertainment.

Well as far as him killing himself or any other football player they have the choice not to play. I'll bet any of them will tell you it beats working for a living.

kupesdad
03-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Well as far as him killing himself or any other football player they have the choice not to play. I'll bet any of them will tell you it beats working for a living.

It is working for a living... and a relative short life since the average lifespan of a pro football player is somewhere around 55... Thats 2 years away for me. I already said they have a pretty good life by anyones definition...That's the guys that make it to their second contract and survive all the other traps in life that multiply due to them being quasi-celebrities. The money may seem huge but 50% goes to Uncle Sam and then you have all the other issues money creates. It's a lot of fun having the body of a 50 year old at 30 and it multiplies exponentially year to year so often you have a 50 year old man with the mind of a 2 year old and someone changing his diaper. Nice Life!

Drek
03-06-2013, 02:06 AM
It is working for a living... and a relative short life since the average lifespan of a pro football player is somewhere around 55... Thats 2 years away for me. I already said they have a pretty good life by anyones definition...That's the guys that make it to their second contract and survive all the other traps in life that multiply due to them being quasi-celebrities. The money may seem huge but 50% goes to Uncle Sam and then you have all the other issues money creates. It's a lot of fun having the body of a 50 year old at 30 and it multiplies exponentially year to year so often you have a 50 year old man with the mind of a 2 year old and someone changing his diaper. Nice Life!

To be fair that is now a known risk football players choose to take, difficulty of lasting to a second contract and all.

I oversee haz response/removal. No one I work with makes seven figures and we put our lives on the line just as much as any NFL player ever does and then some. The average heavy equipment operator from the union I primarily work with has a life expectancy of around 60, and that is 90% non-haz guys.

You've got two choices to earn in this world, kick ass at school, choose the right career path, have the right contacts, and you can be a white collar six to seven figure type who doesn't have to bust ass.

Miss any of those perks and your only other choice to earn a living is going to be busting ass. By most standards busting ass on a football field is a HELL of a lot better than loading yellow cake uranium tailings into dump trucks wearing supplied air and rad badges.

Or working an offshore rig.

Or putting out fires.

Or arresting meth heads who beat up their own grandparents for a few bucks.

Or working high steel.

I could go on. Point is, making seven figures to play football, with all it's end of life complications, is still a FAR better deal than 90% of this country will ever get a shot at. He's not taking years off his life for our entertainment, he's taking years off his life to earn for him and his family. Just like millions of other men do across this country who don't earn seven figures and see similar levels of physical decay over a 30+ year career. The fact that it is a high profile entertainment medium is why he gets paid the big bucks, not why he does it in the first place. Guys were playing pro football with less than a quarter of the protective equipment and medical care, for tenths of the salary, for decades before now, again because it was the best way they could find to earn.

I say this as someone who thinks the armchair GM "he's been hurt a lot for the last 12 months, cut 'im" attitude is pretty ****ing dumb and that Kuper is a very good player and a key part of this team. But it's not like he's disarming IEDs in Afghanistan. He's playing a very physically demanding game for a very high salary in one of the last career fields that offer a (comparatively quite nice) pension, getting the best medical care money can buy. The cost:benefit analysis of playing pro football adds up much nicer than what the vast majority of working men and women get dealt in this country.

Bacchus
03-06-2013, 06:13 AM
I responded to you after you made statements that I knew to be untrue..now who is getting pissy

Actually the little smiley I ended the sentence with does not mean I am pissy it means that I was cool with dropping it.:afro:

This board is just entertainment to me. I have no money riding on anything here.

CEH
03-07-2013, 05:05 AM
If you want to prolong Manning's career give him the best Oline possible. Last year it was widely rumored when the draft matriculated toward 25 , Denver wanted DeCastro. I don't think much has changed this year I could easiliy see OLine as a high pick this year

Not sure how the team feels about Blake but the FO has made it known short yardage has to improve this year

Denver may have a Kuper starting for them this year but his name may be Cooper as in Jonathon

Lestat
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
more worried about C than OG. i would like some insurance in case Kuper gets hurt again but unless Cooper falls i want a C if we take a OL.

Bacchus
03-07-2013, 09:40 PM
more worried about C than OG. i would like some insurance in case Kuper gets hurt again but unless Cooper falls i want a C if we take a OL.

I disagree, Denver gave up 80% of their sacks when Ramierez was filling in for Kupper. Thye need to solidify the Guard spot. I think the Center spot is fine if they re-sign Koppen and Walton comes back. A lot will hinge on how well Blake plays this year. It is no secret the coaches were disappointed with him last year.

cutthemdown
03-08-2013, 01:19 AM
I agree gaurd is the biggest concern. Taking a good one in the draft makes sense for so many reasons. If Kuper remains banged up hopefully the rookie can play right away and do ok. Ik Kuper comes back strong hopefully the rookie is better then Beadles.

If both Kuper comes back, and beadles beats him out, the rookie can still be the top guard bkup until he improves enough to start. It's like 3 chances to make the roster lol. It's a smart move to take a guard 1st-3rd round. We could use one that bad.

cutthemdown
03-08-2013, 01:22 AM
because Broncos still need starters and a ton of depth really it doesn't matter what positions they draft. They just need to be good players and make the team and contribute.