PDA

View Full Version : Welkah wont be franchised

Mogulseeker
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
NFL.com reporting that Welker won't be franchised by the Pats.

I remember someone saying that Elway was interested in him. Must've been in the light rail.... but still...

Broncojef
02-18-2013, 05:03 PM
NFL.com reporting that Welker won't be resigned by the Pats.

I remember someone saying that Elway was interested in him. Must've been in the light rail.... but still...

He seems like such an expensive little proposition. I'm all for Manning having targets but man. I rather see a stud MLB or RB signed but I guess I can't get too angry if he became a Bronco.

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Realistically what team wouldn't be interested in a guy who averages over 100 catches a year.

And if this is true, Belicheat's ego and belief in his supposed greatness is getting out of hand. He is going to keep letting stars walk and then find himself screwed.

SlyEli
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Welker is a great system guy. Notice how his numbers skyrocketed once he worked with Brady. The broncos are one of the few teams in the NFL (maybe the only other than the patriots) who has a great system that he would thrive in. Welker should WANT to come here, especially so he could stick it to the hoodie.

I don't know if his value at a 8-9 mil salary per year is better than a guy like collie at the veteran minimum. I'd be excited if we got welker, but it seems to me safety and running back are more pressing FA needs.

SlyEli
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
NFL.com reporting that Welker won't be resigned by the Pats.

it was IncarceratedBob who said it about a month ago..

@IncarceratedBob: **UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: After the playoff disappointment #Broncos Elway plans to go after some big names (Welker/Amendola/Sean Smith)

but who knows whether he was just throwing **** and seeing if it would stick. Although he has had a decent track record with the broncos in the past.

Play2win
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
I wonder how it would look with WRs 4-wide, with both Stokley and Welker out there.

Mogulseeker
02-18-2013, 05:21 PM
He won't be franchised....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000139948/article/wes-welker-reportedly-wont-be-franchised-by-patriots

That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be resigned.

Lestat
02-18-2013, 05:30 PM
too expensive for a team like us. we need a dynamic slot but we have two top WR's already and can't afford to sink 9 mil in a 3rd guy.

Bmore Manning
02-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I would rather sign Collie.. and Knighton.. and Schwartz... and Extend/Resign some of our own..with Welkahs "cap" / monetary figures.

extralife
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
I wonder how it would look with WRs 4-wide, with both Stokley and Welker out there.

it would look like an offense that peyton manning doesn't ever run

Mogulseeker
02-18-2013, 05:38 PM
I like our setup right now with 2wide and 2tight.

Decker-Thomas-Tamme-Dreesen is pretty nice. Plus we need a roster spot for Holliday... and Stokes can put out another year.

Agamemnon
02-18-2013, 05:47 PM
This is probably the best fit for him as Manning is the only QB likely to use him the way Brady has. But not at 9 mil. That's ridiculous for a system guy.

g6matty
02-18-2013, 06:05 PM
it was IncarceratedBob who said it about a month ago..

@IncarceratedBob: **UPDATED NFL NEWS**Source: After the playoff disappointment #Broncos Elway plans to go after some big names (Welker/Amendola/Sean Smith)

but who knows whether he was just throwing **** and seeing if it would stick. Although he has had a decent track record with the broncos in the past.

cue dbroncos4life

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2013, 07:44 PM
I like our setup right now with 2wide and 2tight.

Decker-Thomas-Tamme-Dreesen is pretty nice. Plus we need a roster spot for Holliday... and Stokes can put out another year.

Green is going to take Dreesen's job next year and finally give us that athletic freak at TE.

ZONA
02-18-2013, 08:06 PM
Green is going to take Dreesen's job next year and finally give us that athletic freak at TE.

We'll see. Dreessen was originally in there because of his blocking but has really came on late in the season in the passing game. If anything, I'm hoping Green can really push Tamme for the other spot. Tamme is more 1 dimensional the Dreessen at this point.

Mogulseeker
02-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I read something about Tamme being the best in the league at drops-to-catch ratio. In other words: he's sure-handed.

I think of Tamme as a big WR... and I really like Dreesen on the team, and a lot of it because he's a hometown kid. Given his skillset, I think he can play h-back... remember Patrick Hape back in the day?

KipCorrington25
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Dare I say the next Ed McCaffrey?

Mogulseeker
02-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Dare I say the next Ed McCaffrey?

Sure... while we're at it, lets call Zdeno Chara the next Martin St. Louis:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BI0i1BKZDss/Td6eRJU6K4I/AAAAAAAAFlQ/9V7aIrI4hTs/s1600/sizematters2zp.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
We'll see. Dreessen was originally in there because of his blocking but has really came on late in the season in the passing game. If anything, I'm hoping Green can really push Tamme for the other spot. Tamme is more 1 dimensional the Dreessen at this point.

Tamme is too much of a favorite target for Peyton to be passed over.

DBroncos4life
02-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Watching Manning shatter records with Wes Welker would be awesome.

yerner
02-18-2013, 08:59 PM
system guy.. means white guy.

Requiem
02-18-2013, 09:01 PM
http://www.hjo3.net/orly/gal1/orly_george_carlin.jpg

lonestar
02-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Realistically what team wouldn't be interested in a guy who averages over 100 catches a year.

And if this is true, Belicheat's ego and belief in his supposed greatness is getting out of hand. He is going to keep letting stars walk and then find himself screwed.

one of the reasons he gets 100 catches a year is prior to the BIG TE's coming to town Brady had few other choices to throw to..

do not get me wrong he is a great player I suspect had Decker or DT not been on the team Stokley would have been getting as much attention as Welker does..

As far as Belicheck is concerned he has a very well oiled machine and is OK with folks leaving IF they want to much money..

Rarely has that hurt the team.. Seymour probably being the biggest exception..

They have so much talent that someone else steps up.. But that is what happens when you draft well and pick up cheap old timers that want to play for a good team and have a chance at getting a ring..

lonestar
02-19-2013, 12:29 AM
This is probably the best fit for him as Manning is the only QB likely to use him the way Brady has. But not at 9 mil. That's ridiculous for a system guy.

considering that Decker is a UFA next year and DT the year after.. we are going to have to find some coin to pay them when that happens..

Like you not sure that signing welker would be good ESPECIALLY since we do not have 9 million to spend as we speak, even dropping DJ and Mayes would still not cover but one year for welker and then there is the pesky 24 other UFA at the end of the 2013 season to deal with....

extralife
02-19-2013, 01:54 AM
one of the reasons he gets 100 catches a year is prior to the BIG TE's coming to town Brady had few other choices to throw to..

you're right, Randy Moss was a scrub

Bacchus
02-19-2013, 02:37 AM

Yep, Dione Branch was horrible as well.

DENVERDUI55
02-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I want someone to sign Welker because he is an important piece of New England's offense.

Ray Finkle
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
I would rather sign Collie.. and Knighton.. and Schwartz... and Extend/Resign some of our own..with Welkahs "cap" / monetary figures.

why do you keep shoe horning him into every conversation? He's one hit away from being a vegetable....

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 11:05 AM
why do you keep shoe horning him into every conversation? He's one hit away from being a vegetable....

LOL!! If healthy he would prove to be a vital part of the offense. What I was getting at was those 3 guys and some of our own for Welkers contract..

I know you don't approve, I'll keep asking for him until he signs elsewhere..

peacepipe
02-19-2013, 11:35 AM
That's dumb why sign someone that will be on IR by TC.

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 12:06 PM
That's dumb why sign someone that will be on IR by TC.

What else does your crystal ball tell you?

Mountain Bronco
02-19-2013, 12:16 PM
Even though this offense put up points, it needs more weapons as there were long stretches where it was stagnant. Welker is a surefire weapon, no doubt about it, I would invest in Welker, but for not on a long term deal, something in the 2-3 year range.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
What else does your crystal ball tell you?

I like how history is against you, yet you think its us that is going out on a limb about Collie. :rofl:

Requiem
02-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Austin Collie is like scramble brains Justin Morneau. Pass.

Chris
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Austin collie is the new Wayne chrebet only less good.

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 12:55 PM
I like how history is against you, yet you think its us that is going out on a limb about Collie. :rofl:

LOL!! Nothing is a sure thing bro.. I understand the odds are against me. But I would take that chance..

Archer81
02-19-2013, 12:56 PM
If Denver is in the market for small white slot receivers, I'd prefer Amendola. Probably cheaper and he is younger than Welker.

:Broncos:

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 01:01 PM
Most of you don't know how talented Collie is.. Though he lit it up against Denver a few short years ago.. If he's healthy, I promise Manning will be asking for him, or will at least mention it to John. I bet they have already talked about this..

Archer81
02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Most of you don't know how talented Collie is.. Though he lit it up against Denver a few short years ago.. If he's healthy, I promise Manning will be asking for him, or will at least mention it to John. I bet they have already talked about this..

He has had 5? concussions the last two seasons. He is one hit away from having to retire. Even if he is healthy now, that can change with any hit to his head.

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 01:10 PM
He has had 5? concussions the last two seasons. He is one hit away from having to retire. Even if he is healthy now, that can change with any hit to his head.

5 over his career.. That goes for any player in the NFL. Any hit, any given Sunday. We will see..

Ray Finkle
02-19-2013, 01:32 PM
5 over his career.. That goes for any player in the NFL. Any hit, any given Sunday. We will see..

Here is what you are missing, once you have a concussion, the likely hood of having more increases greatly. He's had a few where he has taken a good shot and a few where he was hardly hit.

Look at Eric Lindros, Chris Miller, Green, Best, etc.....once you head down that road of reoccurring concussions, it doesn't get better. It gets worse.

lonestar
02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

RIF. I said he had few other choices. To throw to.

Unlike what he has now. Or for tha t matter what Manning has to choice from.

Requiem
02-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Eric Lindros was cursed because of the NHL 99 N64 cover. After that, it was all downhill.

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Eric Lindros was cursed because of the NHL 99 N64 cover. After that, it was all downhill.

LOL! It's a sport wide cover curse?

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Here is what you are missing, once you have a concussion, the likely hood of having more increases greatly. He's had a few where he has taken a good shot and a few where he was hardly hit.

Look at Eric Lindros, Chris Miller, Green, Best, etc.....once you head down that road of reoccurring concussions, it doesn't get better. It gets worse.

I understand.. I would rather have Collie than Caldwell. And should Collie get hurt, one of the younger players gets activated/pulled up.. He's worth the risk for veteran minimum.. Low risk/high reward.. I won't be bitter if he's not a Bronco, hope you guys aren't if he becomes one..

Requiem
02-19-2013, 01:41 PM
I understand.. I would rather have Collie than Caldwell. And should Collie get hurt, one of the younger players gets activated/pulled up.. He's worth the risk for veteran minimum.. Low risk/high reward.. I won't be bitter if he's not a Bronco, hope you guys aren't if he becomes one..

I am just afraid that Austin Collie is going to line up in the slot and end up trying to bake an invisible cake from an invisible oven instead of running his route. :~ohyah!:

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
I am just afraid that Austin Collie is going to line up in the slot and end up trying to bake an invisible cake from an invisible oven instead of running his route. :~ohyah!:

LOL!! He seemed pretty compitent when he said he wanted to make a comeback. Seriously Req, Collie at $725 K or Caldwell at $900 K?

ludo21
02-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Brian Hartline please

Requiem
02-19-2013, 01:50 PM
LOL!! He seemed pretty compitent when he said he wanted to make a comeback. Seriously Req, Collie at $725 K or Caldwell at $900 K?

IMHO, neither. I think Caldwell (along with Willis) are wastes and I don't know if Collie would ever get the go ahead medically to be able to perform again. There is no doubting his talent when he is healthy, but I don't want to see his lights go out at Mile High. I honestly think for his own personal health, his future and for his family that he stays out of football.

Maybe Manning will vouch for him, but I'd rather go after someone else in FA and take advantage of a very solid WR class. JMHO.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2013, 01:51 PM

I'll take Donnie Avery at 1.5 million or even 2 million over either of those two. Hell I doubt it will even take that much. He signed for 615K last year.

crawdad
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM

^This!

broncosteven
02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
I would love to see us upgrade our WR depth but I don't want to pay 9mil a year for it.

Amendola is going to cash in, in FA. I don't see us having a shot at him either. Willis is a good STer but that is about it. I haven't seen much of anything from Caldwell. Maybe they can draft a guy late to compete for his spot. I miss that Hill guy who the Jets signed off our PS I believe. He seemed to catch everything that went his way from what I saw.

They must like Caldwell or have plans for him this year. Anyone hear what Stokely is going to do? does he even want to play again?

Smilin Assassin
02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
I would love to see us upgrade our WR depth but I don't want to pay 9mil a year for it.

Amendola is going to cash in, in FA. I don't see us having a shot at him either. Willis is a good STer but that is about it. I haven't seen much of anything from Caldwell. Maybe they can draft a guy late to compete for his spot. I miss that Hill guy who the Jets signed off our PS I believe. He seemed to catch everything that went his way from what I saw.

They must like Caldwell or have plans for him this year. Anyone hear what Stokely is going to do? does he even want to play again?

Stokley has said he wants to return this yr if the Broncos want him. And, I'm pretty sure Peyton wants that :)

Bacchus
02-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Brian Hartline please

I'd rather have Amendola than Hartline. Hartline faded last year and when Amendola was out of the offense the Rams really missed him. I think he is better int he red zone as well.

Agamemnon
02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
I'd rather have Amendola than Hartline. Hartline faded last year and when Amendola was out of the offense the Rams really missed him. I think he is better int he red zone as well.

Either would make our receiving corps scary as hell.

ghostofjosh
02-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Who the hell would rather sign austin collie than wes welker... Repeat that out loud... Austin collie over wes welker... That is so ridiculous its not even funny

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Who the hell would rather sign austin collie than wes welker... Repeat that out loud... Austin collie over wes welker... That is so ridiculous its not even funny

Because signing Welker isn't a $4 million dollar proposition. It's more like $7-$10 a year easy. I said I would rather sign Collie, and Knighton, and Schwartz, extend and resign some of our own with Welkers money. Nobody said Collie over Welker. Jokes on you.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM

Collie 700k, Welker 7-10m.

DBroncos4life
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Collie 700k, Welker 7-10m.

You get what you pay for.

Bmore Manning
02-19-2013, 06:06 PM
You don't need a $9 million dollar slot WR. Sure it would be great to have Wes, but it's not realistic and practical given the size of his contract..

DBroncos4life
02-19-2013, 06:27 PM
Odds are you are paying 100k per catch for either Collie or Welker. You just have to ask yourself is 7 better then 100.

UberBroncoMan
02-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Can't afford.

Broncojef
02-19-2013, 08:07 PM
So what exactly is our cap space? Have you guys talked about this elsewhere? I keep hearing big name free agents and thought we had money, then I hear half the guys saying we can't afford anything...so whats the real deal?

BroncoMan4ever
02-19-2013, 08:23 PM

I think the idea of Welker, Amendola and the Harvin trade idea are never going o happen. Collie is interesting but I doubt he can get medical clearance. Donnie Avery is who I am really hoping for. I think he could be had at reasonable price and he is a major upgrade from Caldwell and Willis.

lonestar
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
So what exactly is our cap space? Have you guys talked about this elsewhere? I keep hearing big name free agents and thought we had money, then I hear half the guys saying we can't afford anything...so whats the real deal?

LAst conut was right at 13-14 million.. IF the tag clady then it is closer to 4 million.. of which we will need that amount to sign rookies..

that leaves about 15 broncos from last year that are UFA swinging in the wind..

not to mention the 24 existing broncos on the roster with contracts that will be UFA at the end of 2013 season..

we can clear out about 9 million from cutting both DJ and Mayes..

without redoing contracts of the biggie players there is not more cash to spend..

please remember that the resigning hop-sctoch is what put us in cap hell for most of mikeys last decade.. borrowing/robbing Champ, Jake, John, TD, Rod and many others to pay other moron UFA.. that for the most part did not work out..

I think Pat figured that out and will hold Johns feet to the fire about NOT repeating history..

Sounds like they are pretty much committed to build via the draft sprinkling in a seasoned vet or two..

so to answer your question there is no money..

lonestar
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM

LAst conut was right at 13-14 million.. IF the tag clady then it is closer to 4 million.. of which we will need that amount to sign rookies..

not to mention the 24 existing broncos on the roster with contracts that will be UFA at the end of 2013 season..

without redoing contracts of the biggie players there is not more cash to spend..

please remember that the resigning hop-sctoch is what put us in cap hell for most of mikeys last decade.. borrowing/robbing Champ, Jake, John, TD, Rod and many others to pay other moron UFA.. that for the most part did not work out..

I think Pat figured that out and will hold Johns feet to the fire about NOT repeating history..

Sounds like they are pretty much committed to build via the draft sprinkling in a seasoned vet or two..

lonestar
02-19-2013, 08:53 PM

CEH
02-20-2013, 06:25 AM
I think after Clady and his franchise tag is assigned, cuts Denver make, they will have about $11 MM to spend in FA.

This team is Super Bowl ready right now even with the current roster and draft picks.

At this point I don't think it makes sense to add a few veterans and money would be better served to sign one impact FA and maybe a few lower tier rotational players

I expect Denver to sign a big name FA.

SlyEli
02-20-2013, 07:30 AM
I think after Clady and his franchise tag is assigned, cuts Denver make, they will have about $11 MM to spend in FA.

This team is Super Bowl ready right now even with the current roster and draft picks.

At this point I don't think it makes sense to add a few veterans and money would be better served to sign one impact FA and maybe a few lower tier rotational players

Agree completely. The team doesn't really need more depth all around. It needs to add one impact guy.

Bacchus
02-20-2013, 07:46 AM

I agree, do not go after any 30 something FA. Spend some money on a 26 to 29 year-old in his prime then get some lower class FAs. Then use all your draft picks, do not move up.

During training camp there will be lots of talent out there and the recently cut. If Denver feels they have some holes they can then fill them at this time with the 30 somethings looking for one more year. Ala Brooking, Koppen and Leonhard.

spiralism
02-20-2013, 08:15 AM
Green Bay bound guys. Jennings will hit the market at a more affordable price and i can see us making a splash on him. Meanwhile Rodgers gets armed with the biggest slot threat in the NFL to complement Cobb/Nelson and the NFC ****s itself.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-20-2013, 08:49 AM

Right, so the Broncos will limp into the season with a 40 man roster. My guess is they will sign mid-level guys like they did last year, and somehow Lonestar's head will explode because his simple math doesnt add up

peacepipe
02-20-2013, 08:55 AM

The money for rookies is already set aside,cladys' contract is not going to have any affect on Denver's ability to sign rookies.

lonestar
02-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Stokley has said he wants to return this yr if the Broncos want him. And, I'm pretty sure Peyton wants that :)

But but but he will not catch a 100 passť like Welker has in the past. OMG. A mere 50-60 receptions will not be enough.

These kiddies want want want not releazing that DT and Decker are going to get close to Hundred each and the TEs another 35-60. And if you are in a few to RBs. There are not to many more passes that could be thrown.

They forget it is not madden. Where everything is perfecto.

There are few slot guys better than stokes.

lonestar
02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
The money for rookies is already set aside,cladys' contract is not going to have any affect on Denver's ability to sign rookies.

Just where is this rookie money set aside.

A common misconception is that because it is budgeted now that it is a in a hind pocket or something.

That money comes out of the same salary cap money that does the guys that go on to IR and as well as the rest of the top 51 players money is in.

No magic bank account for rookies sorry Charlie.

Please folks stop using this fallacy, as a way to spend money that is not there. Because it is not.

Once a spender always a spender right PP.

lonestar
02-20-2013, 01:27 PM

Let me add that the rookie pool is between 3-7 million depending on how many picks you have and where you are picking those players.

The reports I have seen are ours is about 4 million.

And certainly if we only have 11 million and his tag is worth almost ten it would indeed inhibit signing rookies without cutting other contracts/players.

So once again you could be wrong.

DBroncos4life
02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
So, how then does the Rookie Cap actually work?
First, as way of explanation, under the CBA of 2011, all rookies receive 4-year contracts, generally with a signing bonus and often with minimum base salaries set for each year of the deal. While 1st and 2nd round picks may have base salaries of more than the minimum in years 2 through 4 of their deals, even those players will almost always receive the rookie minimum base salary during their first year. For 2012, the minimum base salary for a rookie is $390K. For Salary Cap purposes, the bonus received by the player is prorated over the 4 years of the deal and that prorated amount is added to the base salary to create the player’s Cap number.
By way of example, in 2011, let’s assume that a Team X had a rookie pool of $4.578M for their 8 draft picks. This is the team’s “rookie salary pool” and is based on the number of the team’s draft picks and where those picks were drafted.
However this doesn’t mean that Team X needed $4.578M in Cap space in order to fit their rookies under the overall Salary Cap.
Once again this is where the Rookie Cap and the Rule of 51 become intertwined – and where most of the misunderstanding regarding the Rookie Cap comes from. Since each of the 2011 draft picks had a base salary of only the 2011 rookie minimum of $375K (which is the lowest possible base salary for any player), none of the draft picks’ base salaries will actually count against the team’s overall Salary Cap under the Rule of 51 guidelines.
As such, it is only the amortized portions of the draft picks’ signing bonuses that counted against the team’s overall Salary Cap.
So, to calculate the actual impact of Team X’s 2011 draft picks on their overall Salary Cap, the Rookie Cap of $4.578M is reduced by $3M ($375K x 8), leaving an amount of only $1.578M in overall Cap space needed to accommodate the signing of rookies within the Rule of 51.
So, that is how the Year One Rookie Allocation, a.k.a Rookie Salary Cap – the “cap within a cap” – actually works and demonstrates the actual impact of the Rookie Cap on the team’s overall Salary Cap.
Once the season starts, however, the entire Cap Numbers of the rookies who make the team must be fit under the team’s overall Cap. The impact of that, though, actually operates to save the team a little bit of Salary Cap space, since the rookies are making the rookie minimum base salary and replacing players on the roster who were making more in base salary.

Denver has 6 picks so using this Denver will need to set aside 1,489,615 million dollars for the rookie class.