PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos report card for 2012

Bronco Rob
02-17-2013, 08:13 AM
The Broncos, still smarting from a crushing playoff loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens, stand on the doorstep of the NFL scouting combine and the start of free agency determined to make things right.The Broncos have tried to leave the abrupt end to their 2012 season behind and move ahead. After looking at the video and talking with NFL pro personnel executives, here is a report card for the 2012 team.

There is no grading on a curve. As they should be, A's are more difficult to earn than a Pro Bowl slot. There were 112 Pro Bowl selections for the 2012 season (6.7 percent of the league), including injury replacements and replacements for players in the Super Bowl. Grades were given to the players on the Broncos' season-ending, 53-man roster and starters who suffered season-ending injuries after playing at least four games.

Peyton Manning: A
There remains a question about how much the grip in his right hand will improve. His time spent with Broncos trainers, working his way back from four neck surgeries, was more challenging than people understood. But he had his 12th 4,000-yard passing season and nine 300-yard games, and he set the Denver season record for touchdown passes (37) to go with an 11-game winning streak.

Demaryius Thomas: A
Thomas showed he is one of the most proficient catch-and-run receivers in the NFL. He led the Broncos with 15.3 yards per catch and was tied for seventh in the league in touchdowns (10). :thumbsup:

Von Miller: A
He led the Broncos in sacks (team- record 18) and tackles for loss (28) and tied for team lead in forced fumbles. He is the defense's franchise player.

Ryan Clady: A-
Only Orlando Franklin was penalized more among the Broncos' offensive linemen. Clady drew eight flags but allowed only one sack in a singled-up situation. Recent shoulder surgery is a concern.

Wesley Woodyard: A-
Only player in the NFL last season with at least 100 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions. Consistently a do-it-all guy. :thumbsup:

For The Rest http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22607302/broncos-report-card-2012

gyldenlove
02-17-2013, 08:29 AM
Some things I don't agree with:

Chris Harris B+, I think A- would be more appropriate, he was the best CB on the roster in the majority of games, made plays on the ball and held tight coverage very consistently - his only really weak game was against the Texans.

Mike Adams B, I think a C or C- would be appropriate, he was a non-factor in coverage all season and his run support was spotty at best.

Keith Brooking B+, a generous B- would be better, he only really did good work consistently in short yardage situations, in most game situations he was a liability.

Wolfe C+, a flat B would be do it here, he exceeded reasonable expectations by some margin and played more snaps than I think anyone could have predicted.

Vickerson, Bannan B-, these guys were the main reason the defense was as strong as it was, they consistently held the run game in check by sealing gaps and playing very disciplined, a B would be appropriate.

Matt Willis C, I would give him an F if I felt spiteful and at best a D-, every time he was on the field on offence it was about 50/50 if he made a noticeable mistake like running the wrong route.

errand
02-17-2013, 08:51 AM
add in that Woodyard is only 6' and 229 lbs.....he's this team's version of Thomas Davis that Fox had playing so well in Carolina.

If Miller keeps improving his run defense and can step up his coverage skills, he could be as good as Lawrence Taylor.

Peyton Manning will continue to be Manning, and make those around him better as his perfectionist attitude rubs off on his supporting cast.

Clady hasn't been as dominant as he was his rookie season, but is still one of the better LT's in the NFL....but his shoulder being injured isn't as much cause for concern as those penalties are.

Thomas was the main cog in our passing game....and it brought a smile to my face reading many morons on here say he was a bust because he was injured his first two seasons, or because they didn't like the coach that drafted him (Moreno Syndrome), or because they think they know more than professional coaches and talent scouts and wanted the head case that is Dez Bryant instead. He's just scratched the surface of how good he can be, barring injury.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Tough crowd on Orlando Franklin. Jeez

gyldenlove
02-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Tough crowd on Orlando Franklin. Jeez

Franklin was good but not great. Several teams had success putting a fast pass rusher against him.

Tombstone RJ
02-17-2013, 01:27 PM
1 A- and 2 B's for the offensive line, the rest being C's? That seems a litte tough but when looking at the playoff loss this seems justified. This is why the first pick could very well be an olineman.

Rascal
02-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Might be the dumbest article of the offseason.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Franklin was good but not great. Several teams had success putting a fast pass rusher against him.

C- bad???? C'mon. I don't agree that Franklin was some achilles heel on an offense that rolled all season long.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Plus I think Legwold wrote that after he woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Its particularly harsh to a lot of Broncos, and even the A he gave to Manning came with some odd caveat

Hercules Rockefeller
02-17-2013, 04:03 PM
IIRC, Q Carter didn't even play in a preseason game before going on IR and Legwold gives him an Inc because he apparently played in 3 games.

maher_tyler
02-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Would have given Harris a A-, Franklin a B-, Mays a F.

CEH
02-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Have Franklin miss a two or more games and then we'll see what everyone thinks about Orlando

He's a top notch player and a foundation piece

avangeline
02-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I love this review I really love it
http://www.booksstore.info/max/bass.jpg

Mogulseeker
02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
I like Rahim at B, because he played solid aside from the boner of a play against Balt.

Bannan sucks. Last in the league in percentage of plays generating interior pressure. We need a stud fat guy to push the line like Wilfork.

Bronco Rob
03-07-2013, 10:26 AM
IMO Mays gets an F outside of that sweet lick he laid on Schaub.

:thumbs:

crush17
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
IMO Mays gets an F outside of that sweet lick he laid on Schaub.

:thumbs:

Sweet month old thread bump and even better post.
You are doing great, keep it up!

vancejohnson82
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
I like Rahim at B, because he played solid aside from the boner of a play against Balt.

Bannan sucks. Last in the league in percentage of plays generating interior pressure. We need a stud fat guy to push the line like Wilfork.

what boner play?

SeedReaver
03-07-2013, 04:32 PM
what boner play?

The one where he got a super hard-on and stuck to it all of Bronco Country. Super-boner style. It's on the scale of how bad Indiana Jones got raped in the Crystal Skull.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-pZekhEWCHg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>