PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Positional Rankings for 2013

Tombstone RJ
02-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Top 5 for each position: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000139744/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

This is pre-combine:

Inside linebacker
1. Alec Ogletree, Georgia
2. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
3. Kevin Minter, LSU
4. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
5. Kiko Alonso, Oregon

Defensive Tackle
1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
4. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
T-5. Kawann Short, Purdue
T-5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State

Guard
1. Chance Warmack, Alabama
2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
3. Larry Warford, Kentucky
4. Kyle Long, Oregon
5. Brian Winters, Kent State

Running Back
1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama
2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
3. Andre Ellington, Clemson
4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina

DBroncos4life
02-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Giovani Bernard is slowly becoming my favorite RB not named Lattimore. He is sick running the ball out of the shotgun.

BroncoMan4ever
02-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Giovani Bernard is slowly becoming my favorite RB not named Lattimore. He is sick running the ball out of the shotgun.

I like Bernard but he is similar to what we already have. Lighter and quicket, but we need a bruiser. Size and power to kick McGahee and Ball to the curb. It's why I am on the Le'Veon Bell train

cutthemdown
02-16-2013, 02:00 AM
It would be exciting if Broncos got Lattimore. He's a risk but a top of the first round talent had he not gotten injured. They are so good repairing injuries now it could be worth a flyer.

Lacy the best one though he's got everything you want, size, speed and some wiggle.

Agamemnon
02-16-2013, 04:17 AM
Where he has Lattimore ranked is kind of odd to me. The guy is likely to not even play in his rookie season, and is coming off two major knee injuries.

ND Bronco Fan
02-16-2013, 07:51 AM
It will be interesting to see where Lattimore goes in the draft, i would love for Denver to take a flyer on him in the middle rounds......

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Anyone think Mayock is losing his mojo due to being pulled in different directions?

TheReverend
02-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Anyone think Mayock is losing his mojo due to being pulled in different directions?

It's been gone for years

gunns
02-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Be nice if Lotulelei fell to us but he won't

SonOfLe-loLang
02-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Mayocks turned into a contrarian for the sake of being one and this has been true for years

maher_tyler
02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
MLB please!

Rohirrim
02-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I watched the film of Ogletree against Alabama and was frankly, not very impressed.

DBroncos4life
02-16-2013, 11:24 AM
I watched the film of Ogletree against Alabama and was frankly, not very impressed.

He wasn't very impressive in the bowl game vs NU either. Jones on the other hand is sick. Anywhere he lined up he was causing problems. The safety/CB Dix stood out as well too bad he couldn't come out this year.

DBroncos4life
02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
I like Bernard but he is similar to what we already have. Lighter and quicket, but we need a bruiser. Size and power to kick McGahee and Ball to the curb. It's why I am on the Le'Veon Bell train

I disagree. McGahee doesn't have the speed anymore to really run out of the shotgun and Moreno doesn't either and frankly I'm pretty pissed off about his latest knee injury that we haven't heard anything about. I think he runs tougher then Hillman as well. I guess we will see how big he is at the combine. If he is 210 or bigger then he will be perfect for us.

pricejj
02-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Mayock -

Aaron Curry - "Safest pick in the draft" (2009)
Robert Ayers - "Best Defensive player in the draft" (2009)
Blaine Gabbert - "He's the first QB off the board" (2010)

Those are just some of his most epic reaches. He pretty much copies group think in the national media, and his latest rankings always reflect that. Looking back on his top 5's, he has a habit of severely over-rating marginal prospects based on measurables, and whether or not they "flash" in his eyes.

pricejj
02-16-2013, 12:02 PM
I disagree. McGahee doesn't have the speed anymore to really run out of the shotgun and Moreno doesn't either and frankly I'm pretty pissed off about his latest knee injury that we haven't heard anything about. I think he runs tougher then Hillman as well. I guess we will see how big he is at the combine. If he is 210 or bigger then he will be perfect for us.

McGahee was on pace for over 1200 yards, at over 4.0 yards per carry, before being helmeted by Jammer.

"The knee injury sustained by Knowshon Moreno (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5163/knowshon-moreno)in the Broncos' season-ending loss last week will not require surgery.The injury was serious enough to sideline Moreno for the second half and overtime, but not serious enough to need it repaired. Moreno should be fine for the entirety of the Broncos' offseason program. Jan 17 - 4:01 PM"

Discarding Hillman after one year eh? He's the Broncos most explosive RB, and he was the youngest player in the NFL in 2012.

DBroncos4life
02-16-2013, 12:30 PM
McGahee was on pace for over 1200 yards, at over 4.0 yards per carry, before being helmeted by Jammer.
STFU
"The knee injury sustained by Knowshon Moreno (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5163/knowshon-moreno)in the Broncos' season-ending loss last week will not require surgery.The injury was serious enough to sideline Moreno for the second half and overtime, but not serious enough to need it repaired. Moreno should be fine for the entirety of the Broncos' offseason program. Jan 17 - 4:01 PM"
STFU
Discarding Hillman after one year eh? He's the Broncos most explosive RB, and he was the youngest player in the NFL in 2012. STFU

in bold.

Cito Pelon
02-16-2013, 12:41 PM
I wonder if Montee Ball will drop to Denver's 2nd. I thought I saw him rated lower on other sites.

jerseyboiler120
02-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Kawann Short Purdue.

Tombstone RJ
02-16-2013, 04:12 PM
someone on NFL Network said this is a real strong draft for the DT position...

Agamemnon
02-16-2013, 04:24 PM
I wonder if Montee Ball will drop to Denver's 2nd. I thought I saw him rated lower on other sites.

You did. This is the highest I've ever seen Ball ranked by anyone.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Mayock -

Those are just some of his most epic reaches. He pretty much copies group think in the national media, and his latest rankings always reflect that. Looking back on his top 5's, he has a habit of severely over-rating marginal prospects based on measurables, and whether or not they "flash" in his eyes.

Couple things

1). Other than the ayers comment, those weren't reaches. It was general consensus. And mayock generally doesn't go with the mainstream belief, he's the guy who purposely becomes the contrarian and puts a few guys much higher/lower than the other draftniks. And sometimes I think it's just for the sake of doing so

DENVERDUI55
02-16-2013, 06:33 PM
Mayock -

Well he didn't say Ayers was the best player in the draft that he could be in 3 years and that he is very raw. He also pegged Cutler as the best QB out of that draft. He has several hits along with misses just like every draft guy. Pricejj was willing to take Crick in the first round last year.

Flex Gunmetal
02-16-2013, 07:13 PM
in bold.

you're useless.

Bmore Manning
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
I have some serious disagreements about the list. It sucks that the OMane draft is making us play everything close to the chest..

rugbythug
02-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Mayock -

You do know that the greatest evaluators ever were hitting maybe 1/3.

schaaf
02-16-2013, 08:44 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/16/alec-ogletee-charged-with-dui/

Uh oh, a possible drop

DBroncos4life
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
you're useless.

I'm hurt

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Mayock by himself is going to have his misses. But compare him to Kiper. I'll take Mayock any day.

Lestat
02-16-2013, 11:14 PM
i love Floyd and his skill set, but to rank him over Star is nonsense.

KipCorrington25
02-17-2013, 12:39 AM
We all need to push for gay cee to pick a QB at 1 and watch them flounder for another decade.

Agamemnon
02-17-2013, 12:50 AM
We all need to push for gay cee to pick a QB at 1 and watch them flounder for another decade.

If they don't pick a QB they will flounder for another decade. It really doesn't matter one way or the other.

lonestar
02-17-2013, 12:59 AM

I saw him in a couple of games and had the very same conclusion. Kept looking for superman that everyone was raving about and saw a below average lb getting blocked out or allowing good yardage before the tackle.

As much as I hate saying it I'd rather keep dj for the spot if this guy is going to be drafted. And I think dumb ass is overrated. So that should tell you how little I think of this georgia peach.

lonestar
02-17-2013, 01:03 AM
Mayock -

I beleive his comment on Ayers was in a few years he will be the best player in the draft.

Considering the badly failed attempt to play him at OLB in the 3-4 set his developement back even farther.

He may not be the best of the class but he is coming on strong.

lonestar
02-17-2013, 01:12 AM

Uh oh, a possible drop

Yes let's hope between the DUI as well as testing positive for drugs John and John will drop any notion of bringing another head case to the team.

Bacchus
02-17-2013, 02:24 AM
I have seen numerous mock drafts that have Denver selecting Shariff Floyd. That wouldn't suck.

cutthemdown
02-17-2013, 02:59 AM
Kiper bugs me as well but saying he is a loser when it comes to the draft isn't accuarate. i bet most of the guys he puts in the first round go in the first round. Also he knows players all the way down the list. Not saying he could be a GM but he knows his stuff.

pricejj
02-17-2013, 03:19 AM

Yeah, most players don't pan out. Still, Mayock's reaches are worse than most. None of those media evaluators are NFL GM's for a reason. Interested to see how Mike Lombardi does in his 2nd go-round with the Browns. He did a real bang-up job with the Raiders in the mid-2000's and Browns in the '90's.

Gabbert and Locker over Newton?
Ogletree as the best LB in the draft?
Knowshon Moreno as a top 5 pick?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5a0jybF3t1ry3ebmo1_400.gif

CEH
02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Yeah, most players don't pan out. Still, Mayock's reaches are worse than most. None of those media evaluators are NFL GM's for a reason. Interested to see how Mike Lombardi does in his 2nd go-round with the Browns. He did a real bang-up job with the Raiders in the mid-2000's and Browns in the '90's.

Gabbert and Locker over Newton?
Ogletree as the best LB in the draft?
Knowshon Moreno as a top 5 pick?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5a0jybF3t1ry3ebmo1_400.gif

If I'm CLEV I jettison Weeden and give up 2 first round picks for Flacco.

They have like $40 MM in cap space.

and speaking of QB how does Oz look now as a Bronco compared to this year's crop. 1 year of training under Manning he'd be one of the top QB's this year. Maybe that is not saying a lot but the Oz pick looks good to me

Bronco Rob
02-17-2013, 09:24 AM

Uh oh, a possible drop

Is this enough to drop him to the 2nd rnd?

BroncoBuff
02-17-2013, 09:26 AM
It's been gone for years

So you're saying Robert Ayers is a lost cause?

BroncoBuff
02-17-2013, 09:50 AM

Not Jim Goodman. I've gotta check up on the numbers, but most of the players Goodman drafted in '06, '07 and '08 are still in the league. Only Greg Eslinger is gone from the '06 class. I think all four 2007 draftees are gone, but 8 of the 9 guys drafted in 2008 are still around after 4 years (Carlton Powell). 14 of 20 guys are still playing from Goodman drafts 5, 6 and 7 years ago.

Lestat
02-17-2013, 06:32 PM

i wouldn't say he's similar to what we already have. more that he's not the 25-30 carry back who can beat up on the opposing D. which is what we need.

but Bernard has the chance to be the best back to come out of this draft. he could be a Clinton Portis type.

BroncoMan4ever
02-17-2013, 06:44 PM

I hope they go Geno Smith number 1. I pray that Foles rumor is bull**** because I do believe in the right situation he could become a damn good QB

SlyEli
02-17-2013, 06:50 PM
I hope they go Geno Smith number 1. I pray that Foles rumor is bull**** because I do believe in the right situation he could become a damn good QB

foles is average

DBroncos4life
02-17-2013, 07:10 PM
i wouldn't say he's similar to what we already have. more that he's not the 25-30 carry back who can beat up on the opposing D. which is what we need.

but Bernard has the chance to be the best back to come out of this draft. he could be a Clinton Portis type.
I like Lacy who might be a better fit for the team but I agree that Bernard might be the better back. Lacy had a 2.0 GPA and scored a 18 on his SAT, might not be that big of a issue just scares me when SEC players are not very bright.

SlyEli
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I like Lacy who might be a better fit for the team but I agree that Bernard might be the better back. Lacy had a 2.0 GPA and scored a 18 on his SAT, might not be that big of a issue just scares me when SEC players are not very bright.

Exhibit A that intelligence does not determine running ability

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/794/760/131735621_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

DBroncos4life
02-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Exhibit A that intelligence does not determine running ability

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/001/794/760/131735621_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/lynch-rocks-party
Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks is a hell of an NFL running back. So, there has to be a reason why the Buffalo Bills didnít want him anymore. And there are several, actually, and itís stuff like this.

Lynch was arrested on suspicion of DUI on Saturday in California. He was taken to jail and given a BAC test, which he failed. He was over the legal .08 limit, but the police didnít say by how much.

Lynch had his license revoked in 2008 when he plead guilty to charges of ďfailing to exercise due care toward a pedestrian.Ē He hit a woman with his car outside of a Buffalo bar. Thatís a good one. In 2009, he was suspended three games after a conviction on weapons charges.

So, yeah, add this to the list.

Lynch will most certainly be facing some sort of discipline from the league.

Yeah he is one strike away from missing a lot of time so yeah being smart is important.

pricejj
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
and speaking of QB how does Oz look now as a Bronco compared to this year's crop. 1 year of training under Manning he'd be one of the top QB's this year. Maybe that is not saying a lot but the Oz pick looks good to me

According to Elway (on drafting Osweiler)-

"To me it was a perfect scenario. With the importance of that position, you never waste one. Plus, we liked him a lot. And having been with him a year, we like him even more."

If the Duke likes him, I like him. :sunshine:

SlyEli
02-17-2013, 08:09 PM
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/lynch-rocks-party
Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks is a hell of an NFL running back. So, there has to be a reason why the Buffalo Bills didnít want him anymore. And there are several, actually, and itís stuff like this.

Lynch was arrested on suspicion of DUI on Saturday in California. He was taken to jail and given a BAC test, which he failed. He was over the legal .08 limit, but the police didnít say by how much.

Lynch had his license revoked in 2008 when he plead guilty to charges of ďfailing to exercise due care toward a pedestrian.Ē He hit a woman with his car outside of a Buffalo bar. Thatís a good one. In 2009, he was suspended three games after a conviction on weapons charges.

So, yeah, add this to the list.

Lynch will most certainly be facing some sort of discipline from the league.

Yeah he is one strike away from missing a lot of time so yeah being smart is important.

Intelligence and good character are two different things...who knows what Lacy's character is like

TheReverend
02-17-2013, 08:15 PM
So you're saying Robert Ayers is a lost cause?

How in the hell did you get from what I said?

Jesus Christ, you're an infant.

DBroncos4life
02-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Intelligence and good character are two different things...who knows what Lacy's character is like

LOL if you say so.

R-Mac
02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Mayock by himself is going to have his misses. But compare him to Kiper. I'll take Mayock any day.

Not really. The only difference is that people like to remember when Kiper is wrong and they like to forget when Mayock is wrong.

I like Kiper because he is able to give his honest opinion and criticize moves. Mayock is politically correct, maybe because that's how NFL Network has to operate, and so he is either positive or on the fence about every move. Kiper had some great moments during draft coverage. I'll take his entertaining honesty over Mayock's boring speech.

Mayock's rankings are a bunch of crap as well, he is not more accurate than other draftniks. I believe Mayock had one really good year, probably 2008, when he guessed a lot of 1st round picks correctly, and then the hype got strong. Mayock's 2009 big board was a disaster and in recent years he's been just another guy.

BroncoBuff
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
How in the hell did you get from what I said?

Jesus Christ, you're an infant.

Relax, you're an Ayers supporter who says Mayock's mojo washed out years ago ... seems worthy of a tweak.

Mayock's projection for Ayers always seemed bizarre to me. He wasn't "taking a flyer," he was talking crazy talk. 3 years, wtf does that mean ... wait three years for a guy to grow into his value? He's a football player, not a jazz musician. Played the position 3 years in the preeminent college conference, he's the same size now as he was then.

Bacchus
02-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Ayers had a very solid year that did tail off towards the end. The DE position will be a fun one to watch. They will be solid there no matter what but will it be Ayers, Hunter or Wolfe.

I would like Denver to re-sign Hunter to a one year deal and let them all battle it out.

R-Mac
02-19-2013, 10:16 PM
And now this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000140130/article/mike-mayock-kansas-city-chiefs-four-options-for-no-1

The way NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock sees it, the Chiefs should be looking to the offensive line for their first overall draft pick. And there are only four players worth the No. 1 overall pick in this draft for Kansas City: Alabama guard Chance Warmack, UNC guard Jonathan Cooper, Texas A&M tackle Luke Joeckel or Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher.

Ha! Good stuff.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
This is all pre-combine stuff. If Geno Smith lights the world on fire at the combine, he could be valued as the #1 overall pick. Really, with the way the draft is now and not having to ink a #1 pick to $30m guaranteed, why not take a flyer on a QB? You aren't going to lose nearly as much $ wise and the upside is almost too great to pass up. It really depends on what KC does via the QB position before the draft. If KC trades for Nick Foles, then they will take a LT with the #1 pick. If KC can't orchastrate a Nick Foles trade, they will probably try to trade out of the #1 pick. However, if they can't trade down from the #1 and they don't have a young QB on the roster they like, unless Geno Smith craps the bed during the combine, they will probably take him. JMHO of course.

Requiem
02-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I hope KC takes a QB. :)

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
lol! if kc takes a guard with the #1 overall pick, the meltdown on chefsplanet will be unbelievably epic. All the love for the new FO will be destroyed with one pick.

I can hardly wait!

Requiem
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't want the Chiefs to take Warmack at #1. Yeah, he is a guard but he is going to be a terrific player in the NFL. I don't want them to have a guy who is considered to be the next Larry Allen.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Still, a guard with the #1 pick? Who does this? No one, that's who.

Requiem
02-20-2013, 10:27 AM
Still, a guard with the #1 pick? Who does this? No one, that's who.

It is unheard of but he is probably one of the safest picks they could make and is likely going to be a guy who starts for over a decade. All-Pro potential, probably one of the only early picks you could say that for.

Rascal
02-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Charles with a good line scares me.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2013, 10:34 AM
I understand, but no team that I can remember has ever taken a guard with the number 1 pick. It's arguably the least valued position on the entire starting 22 man roster on offense and defense. Why not take a kicker instead, he's at least gonna score some points.

I understand the value of a guard, I do. It's just that no guard is worth the #1 pick in a draft. Heck no guard is with a top 5 pick in the draft IMHO. You don't build a franchise around a guard. You can find excellent guards later in the draft, much later in the draft. There's a reason there are very few guards in the HoF...

DENVERDUI55
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I don't want the Chiefs to take Warmack at #1. Yeah, he is a guard but he is going to be a terrific player in the NFL. I don't want them to have a guy who is considered to be the next Larry Allen.

KC OL is already pretty solid. No way that they take a G at number 1.

DBroncos4life
02-20-2013, 11:59 AM
I understand, but no team that I can remember has ever taken a guard with the number 1 pick. It's arguably the least valued position on the entire starting 22 man roster on offense and defense. Why not take a kicker instead, he's at least gonna score some points.

I understand the value of a guard, I do. It's just that no guard is worth the #1 pick in a draft. Heck no guard is with a top 5 pick in the draft IMHO. You don't build a franchise around a guard. You can find excellent guards later in the draft, much later in the draft. There's a reason there are very few guards in the HoF...

Have you seen the price of a good guard lately?

DBroncos4life
02-20-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm not going to lie Warmack might be to hard for me to pass up if he is there at number 5.

Requiem
02-20-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm not going to lie Warmack might be to hard for me to pass up if he is there at number 5.

I would take him @ 21. :curtsey: :) :~ohyah!:

pricejj
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
It is unheard of but he is probably one of the safest picks they could make and is likely going to be a guy who starts for over a decade. All-Pro potential, probably one of the only early picks you could say that for.

Yep. You're right. It's not like top 5 picks break the bank anymore. $5M per year for an All-Pro Guard sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Bacchus
02-20-2013, 12:52 PM

Yeah about $5 million cheaper than a good Tackle.

DBroncos4life
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Yeah about $5 million cheaper than a good Tackle.

Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins don't agree. They are making 9.5 and 8.5 million dollars a season. Joe Thomas average salary is just above 10 million.

DBroncos4life
02-20-2013, 01:10 PM
Also Jahri Evans OG average salary 8.1 million and Ben Grubbs 7.2 million both on the Saints.

Tombstone RJ
02-20-2013, 10:01 PM

go foneco yourself. :flower:

SlyEli
02-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Mayock has tyrann mathieu as a fourth round pick. Would anyone object if we picked him there? I think it could be worth a shot

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Carl Nicks and Logan Mankins don't agree. They are making 9.5 and 8.5 million dollars a season. Joe Thomas average salary is just above 10 million.

They just signed. If Joe Thoms did his contact today he would get $12 at least. If Clady would not have been injured he would get $11 million in the open market.

DBroncos4life
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
They just signed. If Joe Thoms did his contact today he would get $12 at least. If Clady would not have been injured he would get $11 million in the open market.
So that still isn't 5 million dollars more like you said they get. The price of pro bowl OGs is going up despite what you believe.

There are two pro bowl caliber OTs when healthy that will get contracts this off season. We will see what they get on the open market. My guess it won't be on average 5 million dollars more then what Carl Nicks signed for and that was 5 years 47 million dollars with 31 million of that in guaranteed money.

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 10:10 AM
So that still isn't 5 million dollars more like you said they get. The price of pro bowl OGs is going up despite what you believe.

There are two pro bowl caliber OTs when healthy that will get contracts this off season. We will see what they get on the open market. My guess it won't be on average 5 million dollars more then what Carl Nicks signed for and that was 5 years 47 million dollars with 31 million of that in guaranteed money.

ok so it is $3 million jesus christ I am doing the best I can here!!!!!!Booya!

Requiem
02-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Bacchus, it is time for your afternoon nap. :)

Bacchus
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Bacchus, it is time for your afternoon nap. :)

yes, it is actually, I have been up since 3 p.m. yesterday!