PDA

View Full Version : Packers releasing Charles Woodson

LetsGoBroncos
02-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Yes please.

Chris
02-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Cap? Did his play drop off that much this year?

LetsGoBroncos
02-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Not sure, but I like the idea of him, Champ and Harris for a season.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Not sure, but I like the idea of him, Champ and Harris for a season.

Move Woodson to safety/big nickle.

SlyEli
02-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Could be a good weapon to stop the Gronk-Hernandez show for the Patriots.

Requiem
02-15-2013, 10:47 AM

It is a combination of both. He is 36 years old now and a shell of his former self. He broke his collarbone in the season and missed a good amount of time. His best game was the first game against the 49ers and after that, he pretty much did squat. Not really sure that he does much for us. Would rather draft a guy for the long term. Cyprien is the guy my buddy boo.

Heyneck
02-15-2013, 11:00 AM
no please... draft talent that wont be retiring in the next season or 2.

cutthemdown
02-15-2013, 11:44 AM
too old for the money he probably gets but if vets want to give us a discount we cant pass up go for it. I still say our best bet is to keep looking for younger talent, even in FA. Build through the draft.

ludo21
02-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Yes please give me neil smith replica ala 97' please!!

we need a vet signing to push us through. I also like the idea of the "big nickle' guy (if he has anything left

BMarsh615
02-15-2013, 01:38 PM
The Colts released Freeney and Colley too.

Drunken.Broncoholic
02-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Would he have let the reciever get behind him on that 4th quarter play?

Manning won't be around for a younger player to have to develop. If its win now then yes. Kinda like Neil smith with Elway.

Crushaholic
02-15-2013, 02:06 PM
too old for the money he probably gets but if vets want to give us a discount we cant pass up go for it. I still say our best bet is to keep looking for younger talent, even in FA. Build through the draft.

Doing that, would get you Rahim Moore. If we are really putting all our eggs in one (Peyton) basket, a vet like Woodson would be fantastic...:thumbs:

extralife
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't know if he can still play.

Intriguing possibility, though.

Then again, if we want an old injured safety, Ed Reed seems like the better bet.

Bmore Manning
02-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Ed Werner reported that Woodson may be targeting Denver or New England.. This of course is speculation at this point..

DENVERDUI55
02-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Ed Werner reported that Woodson may be targeting Denver or New England.. This of course is speculation at this point..

I bet NE lands either Woodson or Freeney if not both. Very Bill B style of signings. Woodson would be a big upgrade at the S position in Denver.

DBroncos4life
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM

Woodson said he wants another chance at playing in the SB. Sounds like guy that will play for less money and Denver would be on his short list.

broncosteven
02-15-2013, 03:57 PM
If Woodson is willing to play Safety cheaply I would do it.

Raheem the Dream isn't quite what everyone here said he was early in the year, we need a vet back there even if he misses a game or 2 or 4 (as long as he is healthy for the playoffs).

eddie mac
02-15-2013, 05:24 PM
What age was Brian Dawkins when we brought him in, 35??? and we gave him a 5 year contract.

John Lynch 33???

Neither did us any harm whatsoever, infact both were quality FA signings.

Woodson hasn't allowed 65% completion % in his last 5 seasons and has 26 picks in that timespan, the man knows where the ball is.

Bmore Manning
02-15-2013, 08:17 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to the move as long as we don't neglect safety on the draft. I like Woodson's Flexibility, to run with Gronkowski or Hernandez man to man. I could see it happening..

Bacchus
02-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Under my scenario Denver needs to build through the middle. DT, MLB and S of Defense and OL, Slot WR, and RB on offense.

Woodson would cover one of those needs. If they can get him for $2.5 million that would be cool. I am not sure how much he has left. Wasn't he injured most of last year.

I really just want to build through the draft.

BroncoBeavis
02-16-2013, 04:40 AM
Would he have let the reciever get behind him on that 4th quarter play?

Manning won't be around for a younger player to have to develop. If its win now then yes. Kinda like Neil smith with Elway.

I'm on board. Like I said, I'd like a vet at either MLB or safety. Question mark is he's pretty green at safety. But he's an effing turnover machine, and that's hard to beat.

rbackfactory80
02-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Love Woodson. Best of his generation.

broncosteven
02-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Under my scenario Denver needs to build through the middle. DT, MLB and S of Defense and OL, Slot WR, and RB on offense.

Woodson would cover one of those needs. If they can get him for $2.5 million that would be cool. I am not sure how much he has left. Wasn't he injured most of last year.

I really just want to build through the draft.

We have youth at the position, they need a Vet leader back there.

DENVERDUI55
02-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Love Woodson. Best of his generation.

I agree and I like the fishing for No Champ is bait.

Bacchus
02-17-2013, 12:54 AM
We have youth at the position, they need a Vet leader back there.

Well, mike Adams is a vet and he played better than people give him credit for. He was one of the team leaders in tackles and he missed very few. If Woodson is signed then they need to cut Adams, because like you said they have young depth back there.

If Denver is going to make one signing personally I'd rather have Denver sign Urlacher. His leadership in the middle of the defense would really help the team.

If Denver wants to make a splash in FA I'd love for them to go after MLB Jones of the Packers or Ellerbe of the Ravens both I believe are 27 and they would be instant upgrades, starters and in the prime of their careers.

If Denver wants a safety, why not swing for the fence. There are a lot of quality safties that are just entering the prime of their careers.

Jairus Byrd, S, Bills. Age: 26.
Jairus Byrd is one of the top safeties in football. He shuts everything down in coverage - he was responsible for no touchdowns all year - and he constantly comes up with turnovers. He's also decent in run support and is seldom penalized. He deserves a massive contact.

Dashon Goldson, S, 49ers. Age: 28.
Dashon Goldson had some issues in coverage back in 2011, but did what he needed to do to correct them this past season. Goldson made the Pro Bowl for good reason.

Ed Reed, S, Ravens. Age: 34.
Ed Reed will turn 35 in September, but he still played at a high level for the Ravens this past season despite battling an injury.

Louis Delmas, S, Lions. Age: 26.
Louis Delmas is one of the most talented safeties in the NFL, but he just can't stay healthy. He's missed 13 games in the past two seasons.

Glover Quin, S, Texans. Age: 27.
A converted cornerback, Glover Quin has starred in his new safety role over the past couple of years. He was particularly sound in 2012, so he deserves a nice contract.

William Moore, S, Falcons. Age: 28.
William Moore missed the final quarter of the season with a hamstring injury, but he performed extremely well in all facets otherwise.

Kenny Phillips, S, Giants. Age: 26.
Kenny Phillips is one of the better safeties when healthy, but he missed most of 2012 with a knee injury.

BroncoBuff
02-17-2013, 09:06 AM
One only of Woodson or Reed, I prefer Ed Reed. eddie mac's right, we have very good history with older safeties. Safety is the position least effected by age I think, at least on defense. Two Lynch/Dawkins-type years is EXACTLY what we need most, based on our exit last month.

And Freeney, definitely Dwight Freeney. Numbers were low because of the 3-4 there ...

errand
02-17-2013, 09:07 AM
If Woodson is willing to play Safety cheaply I would do it.

Raheem the Dream isn't quite what everyone here said he was early in the year, we need a vet back there even if he misses a game or 2 or 4 (as long as he is healthy for the playoffs).

I'm all for upgrading any position....if Woodson is healthy and can still deliver, then why not. Manning, Champ and McGahee aren't getting any younger.

Rahim Moore played well for a 2nd year player in the regular season....but because it's not cool to point out Champ getting burned or Manning making a bad decision to throw a pass left while running right, I guess he'll be catching even more flak about his gaffe in the Ravens playoff loss.