PDA

View Full Version : Nerve damage: potentially healed.

tsiguy96
02-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Not that a single person here cares, but figured I would post anyway. 7 or 8 Months ago i had some sort of nerve damage in my upper back, either long thoracic or auxiliary nerve damage. This led to an extremely winged scapula and inability to do a whole lot with my right arm (could move it overhead, picking things up was difficult and awkward). as a sports performance coach and person who has vested his career on training people to become strong, this was a huge, annoying issue. a few days ago, as I often did, I would lift my arm over my head to see if anything had changed, and lo and behold, i had probably 50-70% more range of motion than just a few days before. This was the moment I had been waiting for for months, because I knew it was a great sign of spontaneous recovery (like repairing an electrical cord, the nerve either works or it doesnt, for the most part). Now I dont have full ROM back yet due to extreme weakness in my serratus, it is a great feeling to have basic proper function of your arm! this is my happy story of the day, the end.

Requiem
02-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Glad you are feeling better, TSI. :)

Kaylore
02-14-2013, 02:46 PM
I hope it wasn't your arm cannon. Those crash bombs will only get you so far...

Lestat
02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
hey, good health is always important. glad to hear you're doing well. nerve,back,heart,eye and brain issues are never, ever fun to deal with.

broncosteven
02-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I am going on 5 years and waiting for mine to come back. Same type of thing, winging and loss of strength, etc...

I do about an hour of PT exercises every other day, I was doing my exercises yesterday, things were going well, I have added weight to a couple as the PT girl said to and all I did was roll over to do a different exercise and hit a muscle on my left rib cage funny and had the worst shooting pain, it took my breath away. It is a little better but very sore today. Not sure why nerve damage in the right side of my neck would cause a muscle in the left ribcage to freak out after rolling over it.

I am so committed to my PT regime I actually have abs for the 1st time since my early 20's and I can lift a gallon of milk again. I just feel like **** the day after PT or the day after I do anything outside the house.

Glad your better, you are way to young to endure what I have to. Just watch it so it doesn't get pinched again.

broncocalijohn
02-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Should have contacted Baja. He has a remedy for everything and it is all natural.

So you can go back to work as the school PE teacher? :)

That One Guy
02-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Hope all gets better. It's a shame when couch potatoes like myself are healthy and those who work on their health run into random issues. It's just not fair.

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Pffffffffffffffff what a Manning copycat.

Congrats. Did you do anything to promote the nerve recovery?

Tombstone RJ
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Not that a single person here cares, but figured I would post anyway. 7 or 8 Months ago i had some sort of nerve damage in my upper back, either long thoracic or auxiliary nerve damage. This led to an extremely winged scapula and inability to do a whole lot with my right arm (could move it overhead, picking things up was difficult and awkward). as a sports performance coach and person who has vested his career on training people to become strong, this was a huge, annoying issue. a few days ago, as I often did, I would lift my arm over my head to see if anything had changed, and lo and behold, i had probably 50-70% more range of motion than just a few days before. This was the moment I had been waiting for for months, because I knew it was a great sign of spontaneous recovery (like repairing an electrical cord, the nerve either works or it doesnt, for the most part). Now I dont have full ROM back yet due to extreme weakness in my serratus, it is a great feeling to have basic proper function of your arm! this is my happy story of the day, the end.

:thumbs:

good to hear tsiguy!

ghwk
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I am going on 5 years and waiting for mine to come back. Same type of thing, winging and loss of strength, etc...

I do about an hour of PT exercises every other day, I was doing my exercises yesterday, things were going well, I have added weight to a couple as the PT girl said to and all I did was roll over to do a different exercise and hit a muscle on my left rib cage funny and had the worst shooting pain, it took my breath away. It is a little better but very sore today. Not sure why nerve damage in the right side of my neck would cause a muscle in the left ribcage to freak out after rolling over it.

I am so committed to my PT regime I actually have abs for the 1st time since my early 20's and I can lift a gallon of milk again. I just feel like **** the day after PT or the day after I do anything outside the house.

Glad your better, you are way to young to endure what I have to. Just watch it so it doesn't get pinched again.

I think your new pain is due to mojo Kharma coming around for your GHWK Valentines day thread.:wave:

As a former exercise physiologist I hope the new one heals soon!

gunns
02-14-2013, 04:23 PM
That's great Tsi. Must have been frustrating, especially in the field your in.

El Minion
02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

Reminds of:

"Don't be a one upper, like I said before!" Christine Dolce

http://media.nowpublic.net/images/a8/b/a8b624b5b401b089debb95c9a4872930.jpg

baja
02-16-2013, 12:00 PM

Have you considered Acupuncture and "Tapping"?

a place to start;

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nick-ortner/emotional-freedom-technique_b_1349223.html

Someone quote me, Stevie has me on iggy. ;-)

Dr. Broncenstein
02-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Winged scapula is from long thoracic nerve injury, which innervates the serratus anterior. I have to worry about this when performing axillary lymph node dissections and/or mastectomies.

SoCalBronco
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Good to hear you are doing better bro. :)

broncogary
02-16-2013, 05:22 PM
Someone quote me, Stevie has me on iggy. ;-)

There, are you happy? :sunshine:

hades
02-16-2013, 07:00 PM

Deer antler juice daily.

On a serious note, good to hear it's healing!

tsiguy96
02-17-2013, 06:18 AM
thanks guys. not really anything you can do to promote nerve recovery except wait and hope that it happens. i still dont have full ROM and keep thinking im going to revert back, im hoping after 7 months of inactivity my serratus just needs a couple weeks to perform like a muscle again.

ColoradoDarin
02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
That's great news to hear. Hope it continues to get better.

DenverBroncosJM
02-17-2013, 09:47 AM
That's good to hear. A guy I know had chronic neck pain so the deaden certain nerves wait a few days to see if the pain goes away. If it does the kill that nerve and let it grow back or whatever in the hopes that the pain will be gone, Pretty cool.