PDA

View Full Version : OT: When did an 18% tip become mandatory?

Pages : [1] 2

v2micca
02-08-2013, 07:37 AM
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.

vancejohnson82
02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
I tend to base it around that 15% number....

maybe stop posting on the 1%ers for Life message board....I was kicked off after they found out I wiped with two ply toilet paper

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-08-2013, 07:59 AM
I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

18% is the standard auto-grat for large parties though.

SouthStndJunkie
02-08-2013, 08:05 AM
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enJwYaeolXc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enJwYaeolXc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2013, 08:13 AM
I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

Same here. I only fine dine once or twice a year. The majority of the time, it's local chains or family restaurants and we're only spending $50-75 for the 4 of us, so the difference between 15-20% tip is usually like $2-3, so I just figure out 20% and then round it up to the next dollar so I have an even credit card bill every time.

RhymesayersDU
02-08-2013, 08:22 AM
I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 08:23 AM
I tip twenty unless it is one of those situations where they bring out the food and I never see them again. Nothing burns my bacon more than having a plate full of spicy food and no drink, or having to hunt down someone to bring me my check or to take my card when all I want to do is get the **** out of there. Then it drops, sharply.

spdirty
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
I just round it up. Example if the bill is $23.84, my tip will be $6.16. If the service is excellent, I'll bump it up to $11.16. But if the service is bad, I'd just round it up to $25.00. If the service is really really bad, like my order is wrong and the waiter/waitress is rude and standing around bs'ing, and it gets to the point where going in there pissed me off, screw it I'll stiff em.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 08:29 AM
The amount I tip completely depends on the service I am receiving.

crush17
02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....

Broncomutt
02-08-2013, 08:38 AM
I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split

I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.

Smiling Assassin27
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
It apparently became mandatory when the overall service in the food industry blew by 3% more.

Boobs McGee
02-08-2013, 08:52 AM
I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.

That sounds very plausible actually...the sad part is that there are SO many people out there who don't know how to do simple percentages.

I've always been a 15-20% tipper, worked in the food industry when I was younger, they make **** for actual wages, blah blah blah.

But seriously, there seems to be a deficiency when it comes to basic math skills. Nowadays (and holy **** i feel old all of a sudden haha) it seems that everywhere I go, counting back change is a lost art.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.

Wow.

Well, there ya have it.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Twenty percent is industry standard. This is especially the case at higher end restaurants. I've been waiting tables throughout graduate school, and in various places throughout the country for ten years. Eighteen percent is what most restaurants will apply to autogratuity situations (big parties, specials, coupons).

If I get around twenty percent, I'm fine with it, even if it's low. But if I do great job, develop a real rapport with the table, make tactful and effective recommendations, I often get 25 to 30 percent.

Anything lower than 18% communicates 1) that the server did unacceptable job 2) you are cheap. You may not agree with it; but that's what your tip communicates. If you return to that same restaurant, you can probably expect to get the service you previously paid for (i.e. you've made yourself a low priority). If you don't like tipping that much, order in.

Part of the reason for this is not only do servers get paid low hourly wage (around 2 bucks, except on the left coast), typically restaurants, esp. higher end one, only are open for four or five hours. So a server must make their living wage between those hours, even if they have other duties that can take an hour or two (opening, closing, sidework). And trust me, most servers have a second job or go to school, because it is difficult to make a living-wage exclusively waiting tables five days a week.

To put it in perspective, when I go out to eat, as a person in the industry, I tip 30%, unless I receive horrible service. And I live right at the poverty line.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:04 AM
How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.

maven
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
15% for avg service, 20% for excellent service. 0% if you blow.

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:10 AM
This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.

Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.

peacepipe
02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.

18% has been been pretty standard for as far back as the mid 90s. 15% is generally the minimum for avg. service to 20% or more for great service.
let me be clear on this TIPPING IS NOT A CHARITY,IT IS PAYING FOR SERVICES RENDERED. It has never been a way to reward good service. a way to reward good service,is to leave more than the standard 18%.

I leave 20% at a minimum regardless of the service. If the service/experience is really bad I just dont go back to that restaurant. If I get great service I leave 25-30% tip.

If you have a problem paying 25 dollars for a 5 dollar steak stay home and cook one.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America. You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.

Because it was funny. I have three reps with "lol" in them and I put that joke up thirty minutes ago. And it's not like this thread is "rockin" or anything.

You're just annoyed because it indirectly ripped on Obama's crappy policies.

Dedhed
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America.

I don't get why people get bent about stuff like this. If you don't want to pay extra for service, here's a crazy novel idea; DON'T GET SERVED!!!!!!

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
Good service gets 15% and I won't let the insiders tell me that it went up. The rate is the same since I have been tipping (California has servers at minimum wage). I know waiters only claim tips on the credit card payment so I always try to tip with cash. That way if they think I am not cool with following the bull**** of "it is now 18% so get with it!", they at least know they keep my tip and don't claim it. Plus, service industry is required to pay taxes on 8% of their tips. So if they average 10% after paying out busboys, cooks, etc., they still have 2% of tax free money.
If I get awesome service or something free (birthday cake), I will tip 20%. Bad service will get 5% so they know I didn't forget and they sucked big time.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I don't get why people get bent about stuff like this. If you don't want to pay extra for service, here's a crazy novel idea; DON'T GET SERVED!!!!!!

There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM

All I know is I have a Mormon friend here and he even likes Star Trek.

I found it funny btw.

ludo21
02-08-2013, 09:22 AM
double the tax add a little if their good...... what percent is that?

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?

I always tip for a haircut. My grandpa took me to a local barber my whole life and told me since these people provide a service, they too should go and get tips. I go to a local barber and he charges 12 bucks a haircut. I give him 15 bucks usually and leave. If my hair is super long and crazy, I tip more.

When I moved to Colorado I was in Winter Park near the national park and lived out there for about 8 days. I didn't wash or bath besides going in the stream a few times and my hair was pretty much toast and dreaded and looked like red dingleberries. I hiked back into town, went to a salon first thing in the morning. Haircuts were 15 bucks, but I gave the girl 30 because of what a mess I was.

Always tip for a haircut. :)

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Racist jokes aren't funny? Good luck with that one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jGQ-ISsDm8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dedhed
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
There is some inconsistency, though. You're served anytime you do anything at any business and you don't tip everyone in every industry. Not inconsistent at all. Tips are not factored into the pay of service providers in other industries.

Here's an interesting question. My wife works at a salon, but when she was starting out she worked at a crappy great clips. So gentlemen, when great clips has a sale on haircuts 7.99 per haircut, what do you consider a good tip on those sales?200%

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I always tip for a haircut. My grandpa took me to a local barber my whole life and told me since these people provide a service, they too should go and get tips. I go to a local barber and he charges 12 bucks a haircut. I give him 15 bucks usually and leave. If my hair is super long and crazy, I tip more.

When I moved to Colorado I was in Winter Park near the national park and lived out there for about 8 days. I didn't wash or bath besides going in the stream a few times and my hair was pretty much toast and dreaded and looked like red dingleberries. I hiked back into town, went to a salon first thing in the morning. Haircuts were 15 bucks, but I gave the girl 30 because of what a mess I was.

Always tip for a haircut. :)

What would you tip on a 7.99 haircut? There is no right answer (unless you ask my wife).

Beantown Bronco
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM

Depends on where you live. Every state tax is different and local meals taxes vary.

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM

In California, that just helped the wait staff for retards that can't figure it out. It went up another .25% to 8% in OC. Some places 8.25% or 8.5%.
I think we should use that logic and move to Oregon!

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Because it was funny. I have three reps with "lol" in them and I put that joke up thirty minutes ago. And it's not like this thread is "rockin" or anything. I'm sure if you made any kind of joke ripping liberals, or people who study humanities or environmental concerns or social work, you'd have loling all over the place. And that's part of the problem.

Really your joke isn't clever, it's another english major in a coffee shop routine.

Your joke, and the people who laugh at it, play into the narrative about those people who follow a career path that might end up leading to serving tables part time, maybe for the rest of their lives. It's a sad truth that people with non-business degrees, esp. in the humanities and social services, can't find work in their field. These people are already disspirited by the fact they are over-educated for waiting tables. I'm sure if you waited tables, you ran into many of these type of people. So you laugh at them. Well done.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Racist jokes aren't funny? Good luck with that one.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jGQ-ISsDm8M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>No, they are. They're also racist, though. :afro:

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.

It's definitely OK if the person spills a drink on you, gets your order wrong TWICE and is a see ya next Tuesday. :)

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:34 AM
What would you tip on a 7.99 haircut? There is no right answer (unless you ask my wife).

If the woman cutting my hair conversed well with me and had a lot to say, made me feel like a good guest, etc. -- I'd probably just give 'em 15 bucks and be done with it. A couple bucks (2 or 3) at the minimum. I always liked going to Great Clips in Fargo because they had cute girls who loved to chat -- and women always rave about my red hair, so we find a lot of things to talk about. Actually got me a couple of dates and five minute fun times, so it was all good.

TIP YOUR BARTENDER.

TIP YOUR HAIRCUTTER.

DO NOT TIP CHIP DA RIPPER.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm sure if you made any kind of joke ripping liberals, or people who study humanities or environmental concerns or social work, you'd have loling all over the place. And that's part of the problem.

Really your joke isn't clever, it's another english major in a coffee shop routine.

Your joke, and the people who laugh at it, play into the narrative about those people who follow a career path that might end up leading to serving tables part time, maybe for the rest of their lives. It's a sad truth that people with non-business degrees, esp. in the humanities and social services, can't find work in their field. These people are already disspirited by the fact they are over-educated for waiting tables. I'm sure if you waited tables, you ran into many of these type of people. So you laugh at them. Well done.

What are you studying in graduate school Psuedofool? Hope you are learning a lot and having fun. Sometimes the Mane can be a tough crowd. :)

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
It's definitely OK if the person spills a drink on you, gets your order wrong TWICE and is a see ya next Tuesday. :)Really, not even then. If a clerk at a gas station spills your slurpie and treats you with disdain, can you pay less for the slurpie?

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Not inconsistent at all. Tips are not factored into the pay of service providers in other industries.

200%

I told her most guys would pay ten bucks for the whole thing. That's a 25% tip. She was furious with me. She said that's what "they all did" and it was rude since the price was discounted they should tip more. My argument was it's not my job to set prices and just go off the cultural norm. Her response was it was the same as bringing a gift card to a restaurant and only tipping on the difference paid. I did not agree. I felt the card was another form of payment and it's ridiculous to have me memorize their price list.

This was all academic since she cuts my hair for free and before she was dating I gave her ten bucks because she's hot.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Pseudofool is like the left wing version of drama llama.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Pseudofool is like the left wing version of drama llama.When did I even bring up politics? You made a classless joke that the conservatives of the board dug. And now you're righteous. Bravo. Class act.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
When did I even bring up politics? You made a classless joke that the conservatives of the board dug. And now you're righteous. Bravo. Class act.

Broncocalijohn isn't remotely right wing. Others have since reped whom I will not mention since I don't have permission who are not right wing. Get over yourself and take your stupid bull crap out of this thread. No one came to this thread to watch you brow-beat from your high horse. Quit hi-jacking it with your bullcrap.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
What are you studying in graduate school Psuedofool? Hope you are learning a lot and having fun. Sometimes the Mane can be a tough crowd. :)I'm earning my Ph D in Creative Writing and Literature. So yeah, I'm a career waiter. :wiggle:

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Really, not even then. If you clerk at a gas station spills your slurpie and treats you with disdain, can you pay less for the slurpie?

Pretty sure if I get a drink spilled on my, my order wrong twice (waited for well over and hour) and treats the table like **** -- the waitress doesn't deserve a tip.

Please tell me why she does.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Broncocalijohn isn't remotely right wing. Others have since reped whom I will not mention since I don't have permission who are not right wing. Get over yourself and take your stupid bull crap out of this thread. No one came to this thread to watch you brow-beat from your high horse. Quit hi-jacking it with your bullcrap.That was the appropriate reaction. Again, Bravo.

My first post in this thread was a thoughtful response. I took offense to your joke, and you didn't like it. And here we are.

Maybe you should get the ban hammer out.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Pretty sure if I get a drink spilled on my, my order wrong twice (waited for well over and hour) and treats the table like **** -- the waitress doesn't deserve a tip.

Please tell me why she does.I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I'm earning my Ph D in Creative Writing and Literature. So yeah, I'm a career waiter. :wiggle:

Sounds like a fun time. One of my best friends from undergraduate got his degree in English, went on to get his MA and now is doing his PhD back where we went to school together (in exactly what you are) and is teaching at the university (lower level courses) and making a pretty solid living while completing his PhD.

I hear you on the AH&SS people getting ripped on all the time. Has happened to me a lot on this board, but couldn't care less. :)

Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.

But would you bang her?

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.Thanks for the well-wishes. I've been teaching at universities for ten years, so I'm already a rockstar. I wish creative writing, english studies, and academia weren't the political cesspolls that they are--so I'm not sure I'll stay in academia, but in any case I'm proud to chase a career in something I'm passionate about.

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
But would you bang her?Does she want to keep her job?

DomCasual
02-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I have a standard. I leave 10%, and write, "I give God 10%, why should I give you more?"

DomCasual
02-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Here's a couple serious questions, though:

1) When (and how much) do you tip a valet? When, as in, do you just tip when you're picking up? Or do you tip when you're dropping off, as well?

2) How much do you tip a bellman at a hotel?

ZONA
02-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I always tip 20% and usually more. If the service is even bad for a moment, all I do is let the server know they need to pick up the quality of service and earn that tip :)

maven
02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.

Good! And yes I will not give a tip to a ****ty ****ing waiter/tress.

maven
02-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Everywhere you go you get "served." But, somehow the restaurant/bar industry is an exception? Yah, it's ****ing stupid.

OBF1
02-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I worked in the industry while in high school. I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel (Charles Court) and at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs as a busboy. If you are good and went way beyond the call of duty, you made more than the customary 15% back in the day. My waiter would always ask me on larger parties if we should just add in the 15% which was common even back then.. late 1970's, We NEVER did that because we knew we busted our ass for every customer that came in and we always would be left more than the 15%.

A lot of people have zero clue on what "TIP" stands for.

T - To
I - Insure
P - Promptness

If you are not getting Prompt service, you are a fool to pay them like they did.

PS: I tip my hair stylist 33%, Khan, ask you wife if that is enough

PSS: I was in Greece last summer and they look at you like you are crazy if you give them a tip.

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2013, 10:18 AM

$1,19 plus a mint condition Maurice Clarett rookie card.

I keep a collection of them for just this kind of situation.

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.

It's ok. I think every man feels like that at some point or another during their wife's pregnancy.

DomCasual
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Here's my favorite tipping story.

I used to travel quite a lot for my business - pretty much with the same people each trip, for four cities a week. With that kind of intense interaction, it's a killer to be with someone you don't like.

One guy I traveled with would carry around a pocket full of one-dallar bills (multiple reasons for that, but I digress). At each meal, he would put a small stack of them on the table. When the server came to the table for the first time, he would say, "See that pile? It will stay that big if you do the following..." And then, he would list the things he felt were required for good service. As the meal went on, he would make a big show of taking bills off the pile.

His standard was that GREAT service deserved 15%; good service was 10%; and bad service was zero. He used to ask each of us what we tipped. At first, we would tell him - assuming he was just having a hard time with the math. Then, a few months into it, I noticed a pattern with him. We would all head out to the rental car, and he would always need to go in to grab his forgotten jacket, use the restroom, etc.

So, you see where this is going? I followed him one time, without him knowing it, and caught him TAKING CASH OFF OUR TABLE. What a colossal douche! We made his life miserable, after we found out. His justification was that he thought tipping so much was immoral, so he was helping us out by taking cash off the table, from whomever didn't pay with credit card. So, if the cumulative tip was, say, $40, he might take a cash-payer's tip down to zero, to bring the whole table to 10%.

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 10:27 AM
There is a philly cheese steak place, a little hole in the wall kind of restaurant that my wife likes. The food isn't exactly cheap, and I always go there and order out. Yet I always get a vibe that they expect a tip. I honestly hate that. I am going to them, paying for the food and the only service I get is them putting a not-so-cheap sandwich in a bag and handing it to me. I get the whole small business thing, but seriously, I don't tip at McDonald's why should I tip there?

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 10:31 AM
I told her most guys would pay ten bucks for the whole thing. That's a 25% tip. She was furious with me. She said that's what "they all did" and it was rude since the price was discounted they should tip more. My argument was it's not my job to set prices and just go off the cultural norm. Her response was it was the same as bringing a gift card to a restaurant and only tipping on the difference paid. I did not agree. I felt the card was another form of payment and it's ridiculous to have me memorize their price list.

This was all academic since she cuts my hair for free and before she was dating I gave her ten bucks because she's hot.

If the regular haircut was $12 and a tip of 20% is $2.40, she was gipped $.40.

Big deal. I tip on what it would have cost, not the discounted price. Would somebody really tip 20 cents during $1 Drink Night? Do they still have that btw?

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
There is a philly cheese steak place, a little hole in the wall kind of restaurant that my wife likes. The food isn't exactly cheap, and I always go there and order out. Yet I always get a vibe that they expect a tip. I honestly hate that. I am going to them, paying for the food and the only service I get is them putting a not-so-cheap sandwich in a bag and handing it to me. I get the whole small business thing, but seriously, I don't tip at McDonald's why should I tip there?

You don't tip. Only time I would tip is if I ordered it there. If I called it in and said I will be there in 30 minutes, no need to tip. If they are busy and you are ordering take out and walked in to order, 8 to 10% isn't a bad idea as it might be a waitress helping you out.

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
That's another one - Bartenders - okay I get it if you go and order multiple drinks that require mixing or whatever. But what if you walk up to a bar and order a 3 dollar bud light. Is opening a beer bottle really a tip worthy service?

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 10:39 AM
I worked in the industry while in high school. I worked at the Broadmoor Hotel (Charles Court) and at the Briarhurst Manor in Manitou Springs as a busboy. If you are good and went way beyond the call of duty, you made more than the customary 15% back in the day. My waiter would always ask me on larger parties if we should just add in the 15% which was common even back then.. late 1970's, We NEVER did that because we knew we busted our ass for every customer that came in and we always would be left more than the 15%.

A lot of people have zero clue on what "TIP" stands for.

T - To
I - Insure
P - Promptness

If you are not getting Prompt service, you are a fool to pay them like they did.

PS: I tip my hair stylist 33%, Khan, ask you wife if that is enough

PSS: I was in Greece last summer and they look at you like you are crazy if you give them a tip.

That story about tip being an acronym is bogus. Acronyms were not widely used before the mid 20th century and people were tipping well before that.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/to_insure_promptness_tip_false_etymology/

"Tip” (and “tips") is often said (incorrectly) to be an acronym of:

. To Insure Promptness.
. To Insure Performance.
. To Improve Performance.
. To Insure Prompt Service.
. To Insure Proper Service.

The 1895 New York (NY) Tribune published an etymology of the wrord “tip” stating that an old time English tavern had box for coins, upon which was written the words “To Insure Promptness.” In a widely reprinted 1919 newspaper story, it was stated that the King’s Head tavern in London “100 years ago” had a box upon which was written ‘To Insure Prompt Service.” The false “tip” (or “tips") etymologies were frequently reprinted in early 1900s newspapers.

The word “tip” is cited since the 1700s as a form of the word “tip” (meaning “to give” or “to hand” or “pass” or “to let one have").

The word originates from the 16th century verb tip, which meant “to give, hand, pass” and “to tap”, possibly being derived from the Low German word tippen, meaning “to tap.” The modern German term for a tip is the unrelated Trinkgeld, literally “drink money.”

This is similar to the urban legend where people say Sh*t was an acronym for Ship High in Transit or that Golf was an acronym for "Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." Acronyms weren't used until the military began the trend in WWII and then it didn't spread through the rest of the country until well after that. Because of their ubiquity people incorrectly look for them in old words whose etymology is forgotten.

As for what to tip your hair stylist, I would tip her whatever she's worth. If she gives you a good haircut and you go back a lot, 20% or more should be good. I tipped a lot if she did a good job and was attractive. In fact I tipped attractive waitresses and stylists more than unattractive ones. This is incredibly prejudiced, obviously, but that was my practice.

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
You don't tip. Only time I would tip is if I ordered it there. If I called it in and said I will be there in 30 minutes, no need to tip. If they are busy and you are ordering take out and walked in to order, 8 to 10% isn't a bad idea as it might be a waitress helping you out.

Cool, thanks. I agree. It's like a take-out place actually no wait staff, yet they have a tip jar and a line on the credit card bill for a tip.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Cool, thanks. I agree. It's like a take-out place actually no wait staff, yet they have a tip jar and a line on the credit card bill for a tip.

Yeah I don't tip for pick up orders. It's for someone to wait on you. They get the money as part of the system. If no one is waiting on you, who do they give it to? This is also why if someone was poor enough as a waiter I wouldn't tip them. I'd pay for the food but not bad service.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
That was the appropriate reaction. Again, Bravo.

My first post in this thread was a thoughtful response. I took offense to your joke, and you didn't like it. And here we are.

Maybe you should get the ban hammer out.

FYI, I am not mod. And if you have a problem with me, you have a problem with a lot of people on this board from all political parties.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 11:20 AM
I know who the grey rep is from. :)

razorwire77
02-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Here's my favorite tipping story.

I used to travel quite a lot for my business - pretty much with the same people each trip, for four cities a week. With that kind of intense interaction, it's a killer to be with someone you don't like.

One guy I traveled with would carry around a pocket full of one-dallar bills (multiple reasons for that, but I digress). At each meal, he would put a small stack of them on the table. When the server came to the table for the first time, he would say, "See that pile? It will stay that big if you do the following..." And then, he would list the things he felt were required for good service. As the meal went on, he would make a big show of taking bills off the pile.

His standard was that GREAT service deserved 15%; good service was 10%; and bad service was zero. He used to ask each of us what we tipped. At first, we would tell him - assuming he was just having a hard time with the math. Then, a few months into it, I noticed a pattern with him. We would all head out to the rental car, and he would always need to go in to grab his forgotten jacket, use the restroom, etc.

So, you see where this is going? I followed him one time, without him knowing it, and caught him TAKING CASH OFF OUR TABLE. What a colossal douche! We made his life miserable, after we found out. His justification was that he thought tipping so much was immoral, so he was helping us out by taking cash off the table, from whomever didn't pay with credit card. So, if the cumulative tip was, say, $40, he might take a cash-payer's tip down to zero, to bring the whole table to 10%.
This guy deserves to get Super-Aids. Seriously.

My rule. Don't be cheap, but don't be a sucker either. I tip 20 percent if the service is good. I tip 25 percent for outstanding service at local restaurants where the waiter/waitress recognizes me as a return customer. I tip 10 percent for below average service. Basically, you have to disappear to get 10 percent. Honestly, I haven't had poor enough service to warrant a 0 tip in like 6 years or so.

Flex Gunmetal
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
20% for good service.
People who don't tip are the scum of the earth. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
20% for good service.
People who don't tip are the scum of the earth. If you can't afford to tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Free country bro! :thumbsup:

Pseudofool
02-08-2013, 12:00 PM
FYI, I am not mod. And if you have a problem with me, you have a problem with a lot of people on this board from all political parties.Ad populum? Really? Btw, I got repped for calling your joke tasteless. So what? I'm fine with having a problem with people who belittle service industry workers (and how they may have gotten there) and those who laugh at them. You're working with the logic of a schoolyard bully. "But teacher, everybody hates that kid!?!"

Seriously, you could have said, "You know, I can see how that might rub people the wrong way, but I found it funny. My bad." But instead you're going to juvenile lengths to justify a joke. Seriously, you posted a pic of your reps. WTF, man?

peacepipe
02-08-2013, 12:03 PM
That's another one - Bartenders - okay I get it if you go and order multiple drinks that require mixing or whatever. But what if you walk up to a bar and order a 3 dollar bud light. Is opening a beer bottle really a tip worthy service?

yes

Requiem
02-08-2013, 12:05 PM
yes

Especially if the girl is letting you take shots out the breasts later. That 3 dollar Bud Light (piss) becomes 5 dollars and so worth it! :pimp:

TonyR
02-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Interesting article that touches on this very subject...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2013/02/alois_bell_applebee_s_tip_why_do_americans_tip_mor e_than_they_tithe.html

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Sounds like a fun time. One of my best friends from undergraduate got his degree in English, went on to get his MA and now is doing his PhD back where we went to school together (in exactly what you are) and is teaching at the university (lower level courses) and making a pretty solid living while completing his PhD.

I hear you on the AH&SS people getting ripped on all the time. Has happened to me a lot on this board, but couldn't care less. :)

Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.

Wait, is this a place to worry about our writing careers? If so, i have worries too.

I honestly think Kaylore meant nothing by his comment, but I have to admit i get tweaked when people associate "green jobs" with "effete." One day we'll be glad all that research is being done.

DBroncos4life
02-08-2013, 12:10 PM
I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.

Tip + fired vs no tip and job. Hmmmmm that is a tough one.

Drunk Monkey
02-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Yes, you have to at least give him / her a dollar

ColoradoDarin
02-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Here's a couple serious questions, though:

1) When (and how much) do you tip a valet? When, as in, do you just tip when you're picking up? Or do you tip when you're dropping off, as well?

2) How much do you tip a bellman at a hotel?

This is why I try to park my car and carry my bags. I have no idea. I usually give a couple of bucks to the valet guy who gets my car.

Kaylore, $3 should be okay - that's 20% on a $15 cut... Though me and a barber/stylist haven't been on speaking terms in 13 years.

Drunk Monkey
02-08-2013, 12:20 PM
I almost always tip just over 15% to what ever evens out the bill. Unless it is the typical Chili's type lunch that comes out to $14, I always leave $3. I think 15% is fine and most people think that signifies a good tip. I don't feel cheap leaving 15%.

My hair cuts cost $15 and I tip $10

Usually give the valet a couple of bucks when I pick up my car, same goes for hotel porters

Bartenders get $1 for 1 beer, cute girls get more.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2013, 12:22 PM
ha! I so rarely carry cash on me, so i try to avoid valets all together because I'd feel bad not tipping them.

ColoradoDarin
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Interesting article that touches on this very subject...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/faithbased/2013/02/alois_bell_applebee_s_tip_why_do_americans_tip_mor e_than_they_tithe.html

I'm just surprised the link isn't to IAOFM...

DomCasual
02-08-2013, 12:23 PM
This guy deserves to get Super-Aids. Seriously.

My rule. Don't be cheap, but don't be a sucker either. I tip 20 percent if the service is good. I tip 25 percent for outstanding service at local restaurants where the waiter/waitress recognizes me as a return customer. I tip 10 percent for below average service. Basically, you have to disappear to get 10 percent. Honestly, I haven't had poor enough service to warrant a 0 tip in like 6 years or so.

Oh, I was angry.

He didn't see me follow him in; and when he came out, he asked the others where I was. They didn't know why I went in, either. When I came out, he was SO nervous! When we got back to the hotel, I told him either he could tell the others about it, or I would. He told them later that day; and that's when the BS about it being immoral came out.

Oh, we made him pay for that, over the last couple months he traveled with us.

And I'll tell you - the douchebaggery with putting the stack of ones on the table is almost as offensive to me as him taking our tips. On many occasions, I got up from my table, found the server, and apologized. I didn't want to be associated with the pretentious douche.

TonyR
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm just surprised the link isn't to IAOFM...

I'm just surprised I don't care what you're surprised about. And that your intellectual curiosity clearly knows no bounds!

Requiem
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Well if that guy over there is Sea Bass. . .

TonyR
02-08-2013, 12:27 PM
ha! I so rarely carry cash on me, so i try to avoid valets all together because I'd feel bad not tipping them.

This is especially troublesome when you don't have any small bills. It's like, stay away because I'm not giving you $20.

DomCasual
02-08-2013, 12:30 PM
This is why I try to park my car and carry my bags. I have no idea. I usually give a couple of bucks to the valet guy who gets my car.

Kaylore, $3 should be okay - that's 20% on a $15 cut... Though me and a barber/stylist haven't been on speaking terms in 13 years.

I only use valets when the alternative is completely unreasonable. I have no idea if I'm right, but I've always tipped when I pick up the car, and it's usually $5.00 (or $10.00, if something justifies it).

For bellmen and skycaps, I do $2.00 a bag. $1.00 a bag used to be pretty common with skycaps. Now, as I don't travel much (thank God), I do $2.00. We always seem to have a bag that is slightly overweight, a car seat, or some other oddity. It's nice to do a little extra to ensure they are motivated to get your bags where they need to go.

I have no idea if I'm right on the bellmen number. It always seems okay.

Kaylore
02-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Wait, is this a place to worry about our writing careers? If so, i have worries too.

I honestly think Kaylore meant nothing by his comment, but I have to admit i get tweaked when people associate "green jobs" with "effete." One day we'll be glad all that research is being done.

I was trying to use something more current than "actor."

OBF1
02-08-2013, 12:46 PM
That story about tip being an acronym is bogus. Acronyms were not widely used before the mid 20th century and people were tipping well before that.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/to_insure_promptness_tip_false_etymology/

This is similar to the urban legend where people say Sh*t was an acronym for Ship High in Transit or that Golf was an acronym for "Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." Acronyms weren't used until the military began the trend in WWII and then it didn't spread through the rest of the country until well after that. Because of their ubiquity people incorrectly look for them in old words whose etymology is forgotten.

As for what to tip your hair stylist, I would tip her whatever she's worth. If she gives you a good haircut and you go back a lot, 20% or more should be good. I tipped a lot if she did a good job and was attractive. In fact I tipped attractive waitresses and stylists more than unattractive ones. This is incredibly prejudiced, obviously, but that was my practice.

I have to totally disagree with you. While I WAS working in the business (I personally do not care about your quotes from the 18 or 19th century) The Matre D (Who was raised in the business and made a living doing such) personally sat down with each new employee and explained what he expected from each employee and what tipping meant. He was the professional that explained what TIP stood for and that you had to work hard to EARN that extra benefit and it was direct reflection on not only your performance, but also on the establishment itself.

TIP's have to be earned and in the food industry that means food quality as well as the servers performance. If an employee is below average in doing their stated job, they should be compensated as such, On the other hand if the person goes above and beyond what you expect, you should reward them as such.

I will stand by my comments, I was shown the ropes by a gentleman who was at the top of the curve in the industry, running one of the very few true 5 star restaurants in Colorado. I will ignore quotes printed by a newspaper columnist from over a hundred years ago. Flame away.

Popps
02-08-2013, 12:53 PM
18% has been in place for about 20 years, maybe longer.

Tipping 15% at any proper tipping establishment is telling the server you were unhappy.

Tipping 18% is telling them it was fine.

Tipping 20% or more is telling them you appreciate their effort beyond the average server.

broncogary
02-08-2013, 12:57 PM

Tipping 15% at any proper tipping establishment is telling the server you were unhappy.

Tipping 20% or more is telling them you appreciate their effort beyond the average server.

Where do we sign up to get inside info like this?

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Yes, you have to at least give him / her a dollar

So a bartender who opens a crappy beer bottle gets near a 40% tip for a 2 second job? See, I don't know. I have tipped in that situation, but I have a hard time with it. Call me cheap.

DBroncos4life
02-08-2013, 01:00 PM
So a bartender who opens a crappy beer bottle gets near a 40% tip for a 2 second job? See, I don't know. I have tipped in that situation, but I have a hard time with it. Call me cheap.

I try to tip every other beer till I'm drunk then they get rich :rofl:

SonOfLe-loLang
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I was trying to use something more current than "actor."

eh, go back to actor...its tried and true:)

TonyR
02-08-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm with you DD. It's "expected", but shouldn't be. I tip on the first beer/drink, but perhaps not on every one after that.

DenverDynamite
02-08-2013, 01:06 PM
I'm with you DD. It's "expected", but shouldn't be. I tip on the first beer/drink, but perhaps not on every one after that.

Well I mean if I'm sitting at the bar actually drinking than yeah, I'd leave a 20% tip on the final bill, but I was once at a club years ago and walked up to the beer bar and ordered one (overpriced) beer and got barked at by the skanky bartender for not tipping her for handing it to me.

Drunk Monkey
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM

I am calling Bull ****. 15% is the expected amount to tip someone who did an average job. If you are going to get more fancy with a rating system then below average, average, above average you are over thinking it. By definition most waiters are average and deserve average compensation.

TonyR
02-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Well I mean if I'm sitting at the bar actually drinking than yeah, I'd leave a 20% tip on the final bill, but I was once at a club years ago and walked up to the beer bar and ordered one (overpriced) beer and got barked at by the skanky bartender for not tipping her for handing it to me.

I'll often run a tab with my credit card, which makes it easy to just tip 20% when you settle up.

Drunk Monkey
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM

I hear ya...... I usually tip on the first few rounds. Having said that if I am buying 5 beers at a time he is not getting $5, 2 at most. Unless it is really busy then I am more generous with the hope of not having to wait as long.

Shananahan
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
The amount I tip completely depends on the service I am receiving.
This is absolutely the way to go.

I've tended bars and served at many different restaurants and the concept of a flat, mandatory tip seems insane to me. It would be awesome for the servers, but it's ridiculous. Nothing made me madder as a server than to work with some lazy, careless slacker who was making as much or more than I was while I busted my ass for the customer.

Honestly, even the 15% thing is pretty absurd to me. A guy who sells a bowl of soup and a soda, then provides countless refills and crackers, etc shouldn't automatically be tipped less than a dude who sells a fancy filet and then just walks away.

Drunk Monkey
02-08-2013, 01:17 PM
This is absolutely the way to go.

I've tended bars and served at many different restaurants and the concept of a flat, mandatory tip seems insane to me. It would be awesome for the servers, but it's ridiculous. Nothing made me madder as a server than to work with some lazy, careless slacker who was making as much or more than I was while I busted my ass for the customer.

Honestly, even the 15% thing is pretty absurd to me. A guy who sells a bowl of soup and a soda, then provides countless refills and crackers, etc shouldn't automatically be tipped less than a dude who sells a fancy filet and then just walks away.

I travel a lot internationally. Without a doubt, service in the US is second to none. This is a direct result of our tip structure. I like it.

SleepingTiger
02-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Tipping is pure BS. However, i do tip. When my wife and I go out, we always include the tip in budget for the night. If i don't want to tip, i better go to a fast food or cook at home.

I normally tip 15% unless the service is very good, then its 18-20%.
Bartender - $1 per drink
Haircut - $5 and up depending on price of cut. Its its great clips and the price was $7.99, its $5.
Valet - whatever change i got in my car. normally 3-5 depending on the establishment.

I have several times tip $1 on food service to make a point.

Was at saltgrass steak house here in Dallas ($30 steak), family was celebrating a promotion or something. It was later in the evening and we notice they started to clean up and get ready for closing 30 minutes before closing. My idiot waiter, got out a duster and started to dust the wall fixtures next to us. I was furious. I asked the moron if he need our help. He was oblivious and kept on dusting. Told the manager and he apologized up and down.

broncosteven
02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?

"Liberal kiddies" got to find a way to make enough money to get to the point where they are gun toting conservatives who think it is still 1778.

Requiem
02-08-2013, 01:25 PM
"Liberal kiddies" got to find a way to make enough money to get to the point where they are gun toting conservatives who think it is still 1778.

Lonestar? :afro:

Shananahan
02-08-2013, 01:26 PM
I have several times tip $1 on food service to make a point.
More often than not this simply makes the server hate their lives and the lives of the customers even more, resulting in even worse service for everybody else.

maven
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM

If you went and picked up the food why the heck would you tip?

maven
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM

No. I don't. If I order one beer I don't tip. If I'm getting multiples throughout the night I will throw a dollar down.

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2013, 01:34 PM
The thing I've never been clear on is housekeeping. What's the protocol there?

Requiem
02-08-2013, 01:35 PM
No. I don't. If I order one beer I don't tip. If I'm getting multiples throughout the night I will throw a dollar down.

Depends.

Usually if I know the person bartending, I will throw them a bigger tip. People helping people -- powerful stuff.

If I'm with a group of people and ordering drinks and they are getting them all individually for the table, if a beer (Newcastle) costs me $3.50 -- I'll throw down five to make sure we get good service all night. Works every time. I've never went into a bar with friends, got a table and not had us getting awesome service because we were cool with tips. I won't do it every beer, but I will do it initially to get served well because the last thing I want to do at a bar is wave dollar bills down between two middle-aged people who smell like turds and wait a year for a drink.

SleepingTiger
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
More often than not this simply makes the server hate their lives and the lives of the customers even more, resulting in even worse service for everybody else.

It comes down to this. If i constantly fail at my job, missing deadlines and just screwing up designs. I should get fired. If you are a waiter/waitress and you are rude and obnoxious, then maybe being a waiter isn't for you.

If someone who works in the service industry and no idea what customer service is, maybe that job isn't for them. Maybe they should work in another field that doesn't deal with customers.

I am customer, its not my responsibility to subsidize someone who is a complete fail at doing their job just because they are self entitled to a tip. BS

Taco John
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I fundamentally start at 10% and go no lower and then give as much as 20% based on the service level. Most of the time I end up giving 15%. As someone who worked as a server for years during high school and college, I think this is completely fair.

chadta
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
1 penny for piss poor service, only because i actually had a server chase me out of a restaurant once claiming that i forgot to leave a tip, i said i know there is nothing there, but i didnt forget anything, the penny makes it crystal clear that it was a piss poor performance and the tip wasnt just forgotten.

average service gets somewhere between 15 and 20 depending on if i have cash to pay the tip, or rounded up to the nearest dollar on the credit card.

great service or just doing something that i see as above and beyond has been known to result in 33 to 50%. Repeat places where they remember my kids names get bonus.

One thing i recently found out is that sonic, americas drive in, pay based on tips, so they get the 3 dollar or whatever wage. which is really kind of sad, its fast food as far as im concerned.

Taco John
02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Except at the bar. If I'm drinking, (when I was drinking at bars), I would start with a $10 dollar tip, and then make certain to hit up the same person every time I needed another drink. Cheapest way to drink.

SleepingTiger
02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Except at the bar. If I'm drinking, (when I was drinking at bars), I would start with a $10 dollar tip, and then make certain to hit up the same person every time I needed another drink. Cheapest way to drink.

I used top tip this bartender big. It paid off big time at the end. I would drink all night and my tab will come out to $20. Tip the guy $30. LOL

Taco John
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I used top tip this bartender big. It paid off big time at the end. I would drink all night and my tab will come out to $20. Tip the guy $30. LOL

In college I had a bartender line me and a buddy up 7 shots apiece of Jager on a $10 tip and a $20 dollar tab.

Though as it turned out, I only rented the Jager for about a half hour...

BroncoBeavis
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
In college I had a bartender line me and a buddy up 7 shots apiece of Jager on a $10 tip and a $20 dollar tab.

Though as it turned out, I only rented the Jager for about a half hour...

I think that's just how Jager works, from what I remember. I'm not sure the human digestive tract is even capable of processing it.

kappys
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
1) Food - 18-19% standard(round down from 20 a little). I tip less as a percentage at pricy restaurants(15%) unless they have service that matches their prices(attentive, drink refills, etc) Tip a little more than that at the waffle house if my coffee cup is full because the food is so cheap. 25% good service, 5-10% for really bad service

2) Drinks - 10% for drinks ordered at the table(bottle of wine). At the bar $1 draft or mixer, for multiple beer bottles about .50 per bottle. I also had the deal where I was a regular getting drinks almost for free and tipping like 300% at the end, I don't drink much anymore so those days are gone.

3) Haircut - great clips equivalent $5, a little more at a fancier place. My fiance cuts my hair now so its been a while.

4) Bellman - $2-3 dollars per bag, $5 if you have a real heavy one. I rarely use them though.

5) Cabbie - 10% rounded up on top of their already outrageous prices

6) Valet - $3 if there is already a charge - $5-10 if not

chadta
02-08-2013, 02:15 PM

you were on mystery diners last night weren't you ?

pretty sure that bartender lost his job over that

SleepingTiger
02-08-2013, 02:19 PM

is that a show? don't watch much tv anymore.

No he didn't get fired. However, the bar/restaurant did close down eventually.

ColoradoDarin
02-08-2013, 02:30 PM
is that a show? don't watch much tv anymore.

No he didn't get fired. However, the bar/restaurant did close down eventually.

That's what happens when bars sell 100 bucks worth of booze for 20.... It's also theft by the bartender.

peacepipe
02-08-2013, 02:36 PM

probably not, I was a regular at one bar,almost never got a full tab. I would go there about 12 noon leave about 8 or 9 stumbling drunk,having done several shots & probably drank 12-18 beers and get a 30 dollar check. depending on where you go a bar may have a % of sales that they are allowed to give away.usually for new customers in order to get them to come back,but more often than not they use it to take care of regulars/big tippers.

Chris
02-08-2013, 02:44 PM

Orwell DREAMED of making it to waiter... he was just a poor plongeur in 1920s Paris. He consistently teetered on the brink of starvation.

ludo21
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
lol @ rounding tips up to the dollar. old men here ;D

broncolife
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I usually give a couple inches and if shes hot, I will give her the whole salami. :pimp:

Atwater His Ass
02-08-2013, 03:07 PM
One of the best things about living in Japan for the last several years is the the food and bar service. No tips, they won't accept if you try and will insulted if you attempt. They never come bothering you at your table. When you want service, you either yell (not considered rude) at them, or some places have a call button you push. Best service in any country I've been in.

Can't say the same for service in the states. Hit or miss depending on where you go, but I guarentee you are much more likely to get a rude, disinterested server in the US than Japan.

Willynowei
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
People here who think "oh they make minimum so its never okay to tip below 15%" are way too ****ing generous as far as i'm concerned.

here's a news story, there are people working harder jobs at minimum wage that never get tipped period, if you stand there and don't hustle to give me my food, you're little to no tip. If you hustle you might get $5 tip on a $10 meal.

15% = slightly below average, 18% = slightly above average, 20% = good, 10% = awful.

If you're especially good or especially awful i might go higher than the price of my entire meal or as low as ZERO tip.

If you ****ing leave me at the table for a good hour waiting for my ****ing food or check, not only won't i tip you, i'll go get your manager and let him know how **** you are.

Meritocracy, that's how it should work.

SeedReaver
02-08-2013, 03:43 PM
15-20% for food service. One quip about this: I absolutely despise receipts on credit card bills that have a "tip" line when the restaurant does NOT have a wait staff NOR a delivery staff. There is a local sandwich shop here (think subway) that has a f-ing tip line on the receipt that suckers me everytime.

$1 per drink at a bar. Which brings me to another story. For my brother's bachelor party, we went out in downtown Denver. Right off the bat, I ordered 8 shots of Patron for $60. This was at like 6 PM, so we were literally the only people there at that time in a huge bar (it was the Tavern in Denver if anyone is familiar). I gave the bartender girl a $10 tip, she scowls at me and says "That's it? The tab was $60, that's not even 20%!".... I've never yanked a $10 bill off the table so fast in my life. THEN my brother gives me an extra $5 to go back to her to apologize and give her $15. I was blown away.

$5 for a haircut.

Cabbies are a different beast. I've only taken about 25 cab rides in my life though. I learned quickly that I should know the routes to where I am going before I get into a cab, or else they drive around for 45 min and run up the tab. Now, I pretend I'm a tourist anyway. If they bring me straight to the destination like a good boy, generally I throw $10 their way. If they drive around in circles for 45 min, I stiff 'em, and tell them I knew where I was going the whole time but nice try.

TheReverend
02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
I always go over 20%. It has to be an intentional ****ing disaster for me to go any lower.

I just figure that extra couple dollars means a lot more to them than it does to me.

Gutless Drunk
02-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Lou Ferigno will hulk smash you cheap bastards

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-02-08/incredible-hulk-continues-to-be-incredible-tips-110-percent/

That One Guy
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
If I'm paying working wages for an hour at a table, I expect to have a worker sitting next to my table the whole time.

My waitress is sometimes not available to fill my drink instantly because she has many tables. As such, I'm not expected to pay her full pay. Solid service usually gets about 15%. I've gone substantially higher if I really like the person but I'm not gonna go overboard out of some debt I feel to them. If their job is ****ty, they should take that up with whoever forced them to work there.

errand
02-08-2013, 05:36 PM

There isn't a mandatory %.....but God forbid you say that to those in the service industry.....they like many Americans feel their earnings are an entitlement. they never understand that their income is based on the opinion of the person being served, not the person doing the serving.

Servers are generally so full of themselves, I've yet to meet one who doesn't think they always give good service when the truth is if they did, they would never be bitching about their tips.

UberBroncoMan
02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow... I was always raised on the 15% for good service, 10% for meh and 20% for amazingly good.

People who aren't loaded or at an insanely high scale restaurant tipping 30% blows my mind.

Must be an East Coast thing or something. That or things have evolved and I just never caught on.

errand
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....

So what? If they're so concerned about their earnings perhaps they should make sure that they give every table equal amounts of time and quality service.....

I've been in sports bars watching the game, and they have practically ignored me because they see one person who might be spending $20 vs. a table of 4-5-6 who are drinking and figure that drunks spending more $$$ equals bigger tip....but then act shocked if I stiff them for ignoring me.

rugbythug
02-08-2013, 05:48 PM
This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.

Thy doth protest to much me thinks.

rugbythug
02-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Lou Ferigno will hulk smash you cheap bastards

http://www.thefrisky.com/2013-02-08/incredible-hulk-continues-to-be-incredible-tips-110-percent/

FYI this guy is a douche.

Chris
02-08-2013, 07:18 PM
FYI this guy is a douche.

Lou Ferrigno? One of my friends consistently harassed him at the nerdy conventions for a few years (in a joking way). He was always cool. Unfortunately the videos seem to have dropped off the face of the internet.

DHallblows
02-08-2013, 07:29 PM
I tip 20% at least 80% of the time. 15% if service was bad. I suppose 10% if the service was absolutely dog****.

When I was a waiter in 2006 I made $3.13 a hour while minimum wage in CO was well over double that. If you aren't tipping your waiter at least 15%, they are paying for part of your meal.

So don't be a dick, tip your waiters.

Ray Finkle
02-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Tip your waiters and bartenders well, it pays you off in the future.

maher_tyler
02-08-2013, 07:58 PM
Here in Tucson I usually get ****ty service so I rarely tip more than $5. I usually always sit and wait for longer than I should for a re-fill on my drink. Take forever to come take my order etc. I hate crappy customer service. If bad enough I won't tip at all. Maybe getting a $0 tip should be a wake up call.

DENVERDUI55
02-08-2013, 08:08 PM
And trust me, most servers have a second job or go to school, because it is difficult to make a living-wage exclusively waiting tables five days a week..

The servers I know that work at chart house and a few other top end restaurants pull 60-80k for only a couple hours a night. They are far from starving. Now I'm sure Denny's and low end places that aren't busy may be different but the high end deals pay well job openings are rare. With that being said I tip 20 percent or more. Even crappy service I'll do 10-15 unless they were completely rude with bad service which doesn't happen often.

Tombstone RJ
02-08-2013, 08:29 PM

I was raised with the idea that 15% is a lunch time tip while 20% is a dinner tip. The service will always dictate how much the tip is, of course. However, if the wait staff did a good job it was 15 or 20 depending on which meal was being served and how it was being served (if you went to the buffet to stuff your face or had to walk up to a window to pick up your order, the tip rules changed).

That One Guy
02-08-2013, 08:51 PM
I tip 20% at least 80% of the time. 15% if service was bad. I suppose 10% if the service was absolutely dog****.

When I was a waiter in 2006 I made $3.13 a hour while minimum wage in CO was well over double that. If you aren't tipping your waiter at least 15%, they are paying for part of your meal.

There must be a disconnect here. What do you think waitresses deserve to make in an hour?

TheReverend
02-08-2013, 09:04 PM
The servers I know that work at chart house and a few other top end restaurants pull 60-80k for only a couple hours a night. They are far from starving. Now I'm sure Denny's and low end places that aren't busy may be different but the high end deals pay well job openings are rare. With that being said I tip 20 percent or more. Even crappy service I'll do 10-15 unless they were completely rude with bad service which doesn't happen often.

Never been big on Chart House. Or Mastros for that matter. Always been a Ruths Chris guy when it comes to the high end "chains". I like 3 Forks a lot too.

DHallblows
02-08-2013, 09:18 PM
There must be a disconnect here. What do you think waitresses deserve to make in an hour?

I all around don't understand your question. Who is disconnected, you or me? Do you mean someone serving you food? Or a waiter vs. waitress? It almost sounded like you thought $3.13 was reasonable hourly wage. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that that is not the case. Please elaborate.

Broncos4Life
02-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Here in Tucson I usually get ****ty service so I rarely tip more than $5. I usually always sit and wait for longer than I should for a re-fill on my drink. Take forever to come take my order etc. I hate crappy customer service. If bad enough I won't tip at all. Maybe getting a $0 tip should be a wake up call.

Where are you going out for drinks or eats? I always used to go out to Famous Sams on Pima rd when I lived in Tucson because there were so many Broncos fans that came in to watch games. It was just a fun experience. Great bar food too. The service however was the worst I've seen anywhere my whole life. It didn't matter if the place was full or there were 20 people in there. There were a couple of servers that were always coked out as well. If not for the experience there, I'd have never continued to come.

I recently had some **** service out in Rockford during the Bucs game and the server bought my 1st 2 drinks. That definitely made me forget about it!

Anybody that has worked in food service generally has a different appreciation for the whole tipping thing. Years ago I did not until I worked in bars/restaurants for a few years.

This whole thread is overrated......

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 10:31 PM
One thing i recently found out is that sonic, americas drive in, pay based on tips, so they get the 3 dollar or whatever wage. which is really kind of sad, its fast food as far as im concerned.

OH ****! I purposely get out of my car and order from the front just so I avoid have to tip and didn't realize they are getting hammered because of that. Their business is not set up to order from a window. I feel bad for the servers if they are getting minimum wage and I wonder if they get decent tips to work there instead of McDonalds.

broncocalijohn
02-08-2013, 10:35 PM
So what? If they're so concerned about their earnings perhaps they should make sure that they give every table equal amounts of time and quality service.....

I've been in sports bars watching the game, and they have practically ignored me because they see one person who might be spending $20 vs. a table of 4-5-6 who are drinking and figure that drunks spending more $$$ equals bigger tip....but then act shocked if I stiff them for ignoring me.

That reminds me of one more thing, sport bars. If you are there for 3 hours and spent $20, you should be tipping $5-$10 for taking up a table while you nurse 3 beers. I always consider taking up a servers time that is not a normal 45-60 minutes for a dinner.

TheReverend
02-08-2013, 10:54 PM
That reminds me of one more thing, sport bars. If you are there for 3 hours and spent $20, you should be tipping $5-$10 for taking up a table while you nurse 3 beers. I always consider taking up a servers time that is not a normal 45-60 minutes for a dinner.

This. Completely inconsiderate not to.

Archer81
02-08-2013, 10:56 PM
If its a place I go to regularly, I normally tip more. Servers remember good tippers. Can most times affect the level of service. But even then I tip more than 18%. Usually 20-25.

:Broncos:

TonyR
02-09-2013, 07:26 AM
The servers I know that work at chart house and a few other top end restaurants pull 60-80k for only a couple hours a night.

By "60-80k" are you suggesting up to $80,000 annually? If they worked 5 days a week, every week of the year, they'd have to average over $300 each night to make that much. Which is practically impossible.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I all around don't understand your question. Who is disconnected, you or me? Do you mean someone serving you food? Or a waiter vs. waitress? It almost sounded like you thought $3.13 was reasonable hourly wage. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that that is not the case. Please elaborate.

It was mostly in response to your "if you don't tip 15%, they're paying part of your meal" and "Don't be a dick, tip your waitress".

I understand part of the money goes to the busboy and company so I almost never drop to zero but it's not uncommon for me to just be at a table for an hour and run up a $75 bill. On that bill, I'd probably take it to $85 or $90 if I really liked the waitress. This is a place where I'm inclined to slightly overtip though as we may occasionally go multiple times in a week.

But, if I chose not to tip that much, where's the issue? Say I give just a $10 tip, that'd be 13%. I'd say a waitress does around 4-5 tables at a time at this place - possibly more, not sure. Just watching them move around though, I'd say no less. Say half her tip goes to busboy, that gives her $5 from me for an hour. If it's just 3 tables, even, she just made $15 plus whatever the place pays her.

I just fail to see how only getting $5 for stopping by a table a half dozen times over an hour should be scoffed at. Likewise, I almost feel ashamed when I go to a cafe back home when the guys gather and they'll drink coffee for an hour or two and tip 50 cents and think that's ok. By the bill % game, though, they just gave her a 50% tip.

The fact that I buy a steak or just get refills on my water all night should not change the amount of the tip.

Popps
02-09-2013, 08:36 AM
I am calling Bull ****. 15% is the expected amount to tip someone who did an average job. If you are going to get more fancy with a rating system then below average, average, above average you are over thinking it. By definition most waiters are average and deserve average compensation.

Nowadays, 15 percent isn’t an average tip – it’s a way of registering displeasure with the service.
http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/09/19/13967515-is-25-the-new-standard-for-tipping-depends-where-you-eat?lite

You can call all the BS you want. You can tip substandardly if you want.
But 15% hasn't been the standard in decades. I haven't worked in food service in over a decade, but 15% wasn't the standard, even back then.

People can tip whatever they want, but the standard is what it is. In fact most regular diners and industry workers feel 18% is now too low.

I'm very unhappy with my particular income tax rate. But, my displeasure doesn't change what I'm required to pay. With tipping, you can tip poorly if you want with no penalties. But at least call it what it is.

TheReverend
02-09-2013, 08:37 AM
By "60-80k" are you suggesting up to $80,000 annually? If they worked 5 days a week, every week of the year, they'd have to average over $300 each night to make that much. Which is practically impossible.

Not at a high end restaurant, which is what he specifically referenced. That's only a few tables worth, and often only one.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Nowadays, 15 percent isn’t an average tip – it’s a way of registering displeasure with the service.
http://bites.today.com/_news/2012/09/19/13967515-is-25-the-new-standard-for-tipping-depends-where-you-eat?lite

But 15% hasn't been the standard in decades. I haven't worked in food service in over a decade, but 15% wasn't the standard, even back then.

People can tip whatever they want, but the standard is what it is. In fact most regular diners and industry workers feel 18% is now too low.

I'm very unhappy with my particular income tax rate. But, my displeasure doesn't change what I'm required to pay. With tipping, you can tip poorly if you want with no penalties. But at least call it what it is.

I sure hope noone expects such a tip from my table.

Cosmo
02-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Honestly, I could care less what the industry standard is. I tip higher than 15% when i'm happy and 15% when it was nothing special and rarely go lower unless its stupid horrible service.

Tipping over 20% regularly is just stupid.

chadta
02-09-2013, 09:24 AM
If you aren't tipping your waiter at least 15%, they are paying for part of your meal.

If you don't want to pay for part of my meal try being visible, or at least stop by to see if maybe I need something.

I have no problem leaving a penny on the bill on the table when I leave, Ive done it 3 or 4 times and I have also never been back to any of those establishments. Maybe just maybe if you aren't getting good tips, its the market telling you that you are doing a ****ty job.

DENVERDUI55
02-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Pretty easy to do. You do the math when one table of 4 has a bill of 4 to 500 and tip is 20 percent or better. If you go to the higher end restaurants you will notice the same servers have worked there for years since it is very easy to make several hundred dollars in a crq hours. I go to ocean club 2 to 3 times a year and bill is always 180 to 200 for 2 people and I tip 40 bucks. That is one little table or seat at the bar. Auto tip on a group of 10 people will be 200 bucks at least. Believe what you want my friends and I paid way through college working 2 to 3 nights a week.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Everywhere you go you get "served." But, somehow the restaurant/bar industry is an exception? Yah, it's ****ing stupid.

It is a complete exception because the industry has been established that way. Comparing salaried or hourly employees paid above minimum wage who "serve" to a waiter or waitress is completely irrelevant.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 10:47 AM
No. I don't. If I order one beer I don't tip. .

I bet you've been given a lot of free beers in your life, and that the bartender the second time around doesn't look right past you to see if there's anyone they can get a drink before they get to you again.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 10:49 AM
You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.
Here's the problem: Minimum wage for tipped employees is an appalling $2.13 an hour. And for millions of people who work in the restaurant industry, tips don't come close to providing a living wage.
This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry.

Willynowei
02-09-2013, 10:53 AM

Sorry, that article is bull****.

I've lived in New York City nearly a decade. This is the most grueling, unforgiving city for waiters and waitresses, you always tip 15% here - that's satisfactory, period. 18% is ****ing fantastic.

I'll be damned if some suburbanite living in New Jersey (a place I've also lived just as long in) is going to comment on how New Yorkers tip for food.

People here can be especially stingy with tips, there are three kinds of people that tip particularly high in new york.

1 - Out of towners (majority), or in other words - idiots.

2 - People on business dinners/lunches because they aren't paying, the company is.

3 - People that've "made it" here. If you've made it in New York, you could probably buy each and every restaurant you walk into, that's a different story.

Otherwise you got a city full of wealthy jews and upper middle class people who try to save money anyway because the place is the second/third most expensive place to live in the world (and that's not counting immigrants who for obvious reasons won't tip generously).

Areas like New England and Midwest America tend to tip higher because of the small town help the guy out mentality and the fact that the areas are largely racially homogenous.

EDIT: That Article refers to the New York Post which only studied something like 2 restaurants - one of which is in the upper west side. If you ever want to eat the worst food in the world for the most amount of money, you'll find plenty such places in the Upper West Side, where the only thing people care about is what's the trendiest place to take your main squeezes and how well you can show off your dough before taking the chick upstairs.

errand
02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
However, the bar/restaurant did close down eventually.

Well when your employees are giving away $100 of booze for $20, yeah I guess so.....

errand
02-09-2013, 10:57 AM
That's what happens when bars sell 100 bucks worth of booze for 20.... It's also theft by the bartender.

I posted the same exact thing before I saw this post....sorry.

TheReverend
02-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Pretty easy to do. You do the math when one table of 4 has a bill of 4 to 500 and tip is 20 percent or better. If you go to the higher end restaurants you will notice the same servers have worked there for years since it is very easy to make several hundred dollars in a crq hours. I go to ocean club 2 to 3 times a year and bill is always 180 to 200 for 2 people and I tip 40 bucks. That is one little table or seat at the bar. Auto tip on a group of 10 people will be 200 bucks at least. Believe what you want my friends and I paid way through college working 2 to 3 nights a week.

Can I ask a question that's going to sound rude but I genuinely mean it in a friendly way?

How do you have money when you can't type a coherent sentence? Are you an oil man? Are you going to drink up my milkshake?

errand
02-09-2013, 11:11 AM

you think it would be, but very few servers look at themselves and the service they give objectively.....anyone who has worked around them can tell you how many times they have heard a server swear up and down that they gave excellent service.....but for some reason every customer is just a jerk who stiffs them.

Kaylore
02-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Can I ask a question that's going to sound rude but I genuinely mean it in a friendly way?

How do you have money when you can't type a coherent sentence? Are you an oil man? Are you going to drink up my milkshake?

Hilarious!

Honestly my buddy worked at Magiano's. Some good Broncos stories from him by the way. He regularly would make 2-400 bucks a night there. It did make him a bit racist though...

errand
02-09-2013, 11:19 AM

That sounds great, but servers etc, people who work for tips, also never claim their actual income on their taxes either......most that I've known claim minimum wage....for instance if they earned your $3.13 per hour they would claim another $4.12 per hour worked on their taxes....despite making perhaps $15 to $20 in tips per hour....

So I have no sympathy for them......if they give good service, their income will improve, if not then they need to find another line of work.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:20 AM
It was mostly in response to your "if you don't tip 15%, they're paying part of your meal" and "Don't be a dick, tip your waitress".

I understand part of the money goes to the busboy and company so I almost never drop to zero but it's not uncommon for me to just be at a table for an hour and run up a $75 bill. On that bill, I'd probably take it to $85 or $90 if I really liked the waitress. This is a place where I'm inclined to slightly overtip though as we may occasionally go multiple times in a week.

But, if I chose not to tip that much, where's the issue? Say I give just a $10 tip, that'd be 13%. I'd say a waitress does around 4-5 tables at a time at this place - possibly more, not sure. Just watching them move around though, I'd say no less. Say half her tip goes to busboy, that gives her $5 from me for an hour. If it's just 3 tables, even, she just made $15 plus whatever the place pays her.

I just fail to see how only getting $5 for stopping by a table a half dozen times over an hour should be scoffed at. Likewise, I almost feel ashamed when I go to a cafe back home when the guys gather and they'll drink coffee for an hour or two and tip 50 cents and think that's ok. By the bill % game, though, they just gave her a 50% tip.

The fact that I buy a steak or just get refills on my water all night should not change the amount of the tip.

Your entire sales are totaled at the end of the night and you are taxed assuming you made 15% tip off that total. If you tip a waiter below the percentage that they are taxed, you are literally taking money away from them (because the federal government taxes them for a 15% tip anyway). If they are taxed at an assumed 15% tip, and you tip them below that, they've paid for part of your meal.

So if you think tipping below the assumed tax rate is acceptable for average service, you're a dick. I only tip below that if the service was embarrassingly bad.

Additionally, tipping for the time you take up (such as coffee) has already been covered earlier in this thread:

Willynowei
02-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Your entire sales are totaled at the end of the night and you are taxed assuming you made 15% tip off that total. If you tip a waiter below the percentage that they are taxed, you are literally taking money away from them (because the federal government taxes them for a 15% tip anyway). If they are taxed at an assumed 15% tip, and you tip them below that, they've paid for part of your meal.

So if you think tipping below the assumed tax rate is acceptable for average service, you're a dick. I only tip below that if the service was embarrassingly bad.

Additionally, tipping for the time you take up (such as coffee) has already been covered earlier in this thread:

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious! Hilarious!

The actual number is 8%. I love how ****ing stupid people are.
http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8027/ch01.html

Straight from the IRS website.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:27 AM
That sounds great, but servers etc, people who work for tips, also never claim their actual income on their taxes either......most that I've known claim minimum wage....for instance if they earned your $3.13 per hour they would claim another $4.12 per hour worked on their taxes....despite making perhaps $15 to $20 in tips per hour....

So I have no sympathy for them......if they give good service, their income will improve, if not then they need to find another line of work.

You have to at least claim every credit card tip you receive since they are in the restaurant's system

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Yes how dare I quote what I was told in 2006. I said earlier if that was the assumed tax rate still ::)

Willynowei
02-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Yes how dare I quote what I was told in 2006. I said earlier if that was the assumed tax rate still ::)

You think the IRS changes the rate every 6 years by as much as double or half?! LOL!

My point is whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about, and probably say that **** cause they heard it from some other idiot who didn't know what they were talking about.

Cosmo
02-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Not all states pay tipped employees lower than minimum wage fyi. Some do get paid a regular federal minimum wage or higher and then still get tips. Perhaps the 18% is a good idea if you live somewhere that only pays them a 2-3 dollar minimum wage. Then again, why is it our job to pay these employees correctly?

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:36 AM
You think the IRS changes the rate every 6 years by as much as double or half?! LOL!

My point is whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about, and probably say that **** cause they heard it from some other idiot who didn't know what they were talking about.

Well one would hope their employer would know the rate.

Are you this defensive because you typically tip below 15%? Or are you this much of a joy to speak with always?

errand
02-09-2013, 11:36 AM

I consider that too.....I never tie up a 4 topper as it it is only myself, so I generally sit at a 2 topper....but it pisses me off when they ignore me.

I am more generous in sports bars because I'm there for approximately 3.5 hours.....but once again they almost always pay more attention to the bigger tables with several people getting hammered.

DENVERDUI55
02-09-2013, 11:37 AM

I should probably get training on Google auto correct. Screen is so small I rarely proofread. I won the mega millions. Grammar shows nothing about someone's finances as I know a lot of educated bums that went to college for 10+ years that can barely make a living. I know more guys who started their own companies with no college education that have done very well financially in life.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Not all states pay tipped employees lower than minimum wage fyi. Some do get paid a regular federal minimum wage or higher and then still get tips. Perhaps the 18% is a good idea if you live somewhere that only pays them a 2-3 dollar minimum wage. Then again, why is it our job to pay these employees correctly?

It really isn't our job. But it comes down to whether you think server's salary is up to the customer or employer

Willynowei
02-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Well one would hope their employer would know the rate.

Are you this defensive because you typically tip below 15%? Or are you this much of a joy to speak with always?

Employers themselves are tax evasion specialists in an industry filled with small business currently being taxed to death by our lovely ideological president.

As for my tipping habits i wrote it somewhere, and i'm too lazy to write it again.

errand
02-09-2013, 11:47 AM
You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.
Here's the problem: Minimum wage for tipped employees is an appalling $2.13 an hour. And for millions of people who work in the restaurant industry, tips don't come close to providing a living wage.
This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry.

meanwhile the guy who loaded 12-15 bags of 50lb. cement into your truck is making maybe $8-9 per hour and i'll bet you never consider tipping him.

Most food workers get free or discounted meals at work.....and if it was as bad as you claim, they would or should seek employment elsewhere.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Employers themselves are tax evasion specialists in an industry filled with small business currently being taxed to death by our lovely ideological president.

As for my tipping habits i wrote it somewhere, and i'm too lazy to write it again.

How quaint.

Are you sure what you posted wasn't that the employer is taxed assuming a 8% tip for their employees? That's how I read it

errand
02-09-2013, 11:53 AM
You have to at least claim every credit card tip you receive since they are in the restaurant's system

Sure...but that also means you're rarely counting your cash tips as well if at all, correct?

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Sure...but that also means you're rarely counting your cash tips as well if at all, correct?

If you choose not to, sure. But I would say at least 75% of my tips came on credit cards

errand
02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
It really isn't our job. But it comes down to whether you think server's salary is up to the customer or employer

I would argue it's up to the server......once again, those that do their job and take care of their customers make more than those that do not....

Kaylore
02-09-2013, 12:00 PM
I won the mega millions.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3dh0gGdan1qfw2dno1_500.gif

TD4HOF
02-09-2013, 12:02 PM

Ugh very shortsighted and narrow minded comment.

errand
02-09-2013, 12:06 PM
If you choose not to, sure. But I would say at least 75% of my tips came on credit cards

So we agree that most (if not all) servers and wait staff do not claim their entire income on their taxes, yes?

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
meanwhile the guy who loaded 12-15 bags of 50lb. cement into your truck is making maybe $8-9 per hour and i'll bet you never consider tipping him.

Most food workers get free or discounted meals at work.....and if it was as bad as you claim, they would or should seek employment elsewhere.

I'd offer him a beer, and comparing $4,300 in annual salary, to $18,000 doesn't seem like apples to apples in my eyes.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I would argue it's up to the server......once again, those that do their job and take care of their customers make more than those that do not....

It's a fair point, but I would say that logic would need to be applied to quite a few others' jobs as well then

Kaylore
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
It's a fair point, but I would say that logic would need to be applied to quite a few others' jobs as well then

Isn't it? Does anyone go to someone for anything if they aren't getting something they want? If good service is valued, people go there. If they value paying as little as possible, they go somewhere cheap. When there is fair competition, the market sorts these things out.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Now that you've been bitchslapped as not knowing what you're talking about, I'll let that go. Back to my previous question, though:

How much do you think a waitress should make in an hour? How much does that kind of work deserve?

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Isn't it? Does anyone go to someone for anything if they aren't getting something they want? If good service is valued, people go there. If they value paying as little as possible, they go somewhere cheap. When there is fair competition, the market sorts these things out.

Sorry Chris, I don't fully follow your post. Are you saying servers should have a set hourly wage and their good service means more customers which means their job stays necessary? Or their tip is actually the business staying open?

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:20 PM

I love when people call other people stupid and then make a completely inaccurate statement.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:21 PM

I hate when people make these types of arguments. "They don't get minimum wage, they need you to make up the difference" followed by "18%, 20%,... "

If I'm making up the difference between $2 an hour and $7 an hour, they sure as **** don't need 18%. They could get minimum wage if we paid well under 10% each. If you asked waitresses if they'd rather be paid minimum wage or tips and $2 an hour, they'd take the tips every day of the week. They continue this habit because it's most beneficial for the restaurants AND the waitresses. I wouldn't be surprised if they want the minimum wage thing to stay in place just for the compassion, as well.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:23 PM
I love when people call other people stupid and then make a completely inaccurate statement.

But the guy who he called on it backtracked like a mofo so clearly had no factual basis upon what he was claiming (the 15%). It instantly became "well, I heard..."

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:24 PM
How much do you think a waitress should make in an hour? How much does that kind of work deserve?

Dealing with cheapskate Asshats and smiling through it all deserves more compensation than a lot of work that is far more handsomely rewarded.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Dealing with cheapskate Asshats and smiling through it all deserves more compensation than a lot of work that is far more handsomely rewarded.

I disagree. Don't be a coward, produce a number.

Then we can subtract the minimum wage and figure out what they need to make per table per hour to be fair. Let's try this. See how it works.

What do you think they deserve? (and I didn't ask you in the first place but since you ventured in, feel free to join completely)

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
But the guy who he called on it backtracked like a mofo so clearly had no factual basis upon what he was claiming (the 15%). It instantly became "well, I heard..."

That doesn't change the fact the he was completely wrong himself; and more than a little hypocritical.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I disagree. Don't be a coward, produce a number.

Then we can subtract the minimum wage and figure out what they need to make per table per hour to be fair. Let's try this. See how it works.

What do you think they deserve? (and I didn't ask you in the first place but since you ventured in, feel free to join completely)

$20+ per hour.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Now that you've been b****slapped as not knowing what you're talking about, I'll let that go. Back to my previous question, though:

Ignoring that your first line is as factually correct as Willy's IRS quote...

Where does this person work? Denny's? Outback? Chophouse? How often do they have to deal with cheap assholes? Lots of different factors

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
So we agree that most (if not all) servers and wait staff do not claim their entire income on their taxes, yes?

Missed this. Yes.

errand
02-09-2013, 12:35 PM
I'd offer him a beer, and comparing $4,300 in annual salary, to $18,000 doesn't seem like apples to apples in my eyes.

Really? Offer him a beer while he's working?

I just shake his hand and put a few bucks in it....he'll appreciate that more.

My point was is that he too doesn't make what you consider a living wage, but you never consider giving him a little bit of your money to help him out like you do a server though right?

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:37 PM
That doesn't change the fact the he was completely wrong himself; and more than a little hypocritical.

Hypocritical if he's wrong, yes. I assumed he was right when the guy he was arguing with agreed.

But if his point was simply to point out the guy was wrong, he did that by doing so in a way the guy instantly admitted he didn't know what he was talking about. Mission accomplished though the insult did backfire.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:38 PM
$20+ per hour.

I completely, absolutely, whole-heartedly disagree. I guess this is where the major miscommunication happens, then.

I do appreciate that you offered up a number, though.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Ignoring that your first line is as factually correct as Willy's IRS quote...

Where does this person work? Denny's? Outback? Chophouse? How often do they have to deal with cheap a-holes? Lots of different factors

I don't care where they have to work. 80% of the jobs are the same. They're scribes for what I want and mules from the kitchen.

In higher end restaurants where they have to know more about the food, that may be a slight difference. If they're gonna look on the menu to answer my questions, they're slightly more useful than a remote-control wheelbarrow.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
It's 12.5% btw. I've gotten so used to 15% as a minimum that I automatically assume that now. That's my bad, I was wrong saying 15%. But 8% is straight up wrong.

Either you:
1) Claim 12.5% of all sales or
2) You claim all credit card tips and claim cash tips within 5%. So if you make a 20% CC tip, the government assumes you can make at least 15% cash tips.

When I was a waiter, I was aware of 12.5% only.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Really? Offer him a beer while he's working?

I just shake his hand and put a few bucks in it....he'll appreciate that more.

My point was is that he too doesn't make what you consider a living wage, but you never consider giving him a little bit of your money to help him out like you do a server though right?

I'm not going to engage in your tangential and incongruous analogy.

Not to mention that being a quality server takes far more talent and ability than throwing bags of cement into a truck, and imo deserves greater compensation.

errand
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Anyone who works retail,or is a public servant like a cop have to deal with ass hats and smile through it all too...and many of them don't make $20 an hour like you think waitresses and waiters should either.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
It's 12.5% btw. I've gotten so used to 15% as a minimum that I automatically assume that now. That's my bad, I was wrong saying 15%. But 8% is straight up wrong.

Either you:
1) Claim 12.5% of all sales or
2) You claim all credit card tips and claim cash tips within 5%. So if you make a 20% CC tip, the government assumes you can make at least 15% cash tips.

When I was a waiter, I was aware of 12.5% only.

They're unskilled labor in most cases - if they're making enough to be concerned with the Federal Gov't taxation rates, they should be pretty happy. I have a feeling most don't - for good cause.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't care where they have to work. 80% of the jobs are the same. They're scribes for what I want and mules from the kitchen.

In higher end restaurants where they have to know more about the food, that may be a slight difference. If they're gonna look on the menu to answer my questions, they're slightly more useful than a remote-control wheelbarrow.

Yeah there's no way we are going to have remotely the same view on waiters.

I think they should make at least double minimum wage and you probably feel they should make closer to minimum wage?

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM

Not to mention that being a quality server takes far more talent and ability than throwing bags of cement into a truck, and imo deserves greater compensation.

GTFOOH.

I'd venture 95% of the dining experience of members of the Mane are at places where waitressing takes zero talent or ability. It takes a solid work ethic and very minor familiarity with the location.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:47 PM
I completely, absolutely, whole-heartedly disagree. I guess this is where the major miscommunication happens, then.

I do appreciate that you offered up a number, though.

I'm guessing you've never worked in a restaurant. Most people who undervalue service only do so out of ignorance for what it actually entails. I make about 40x what i did when i was working in restaurants during college.

You could offer me double what I make today, and there's no way I would do it again.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah there's no way we are going to have remotely the same view on waiters.

I think they should make at least double minimum wage and you probably feel they should make closer to minimum wage?

$12-15 would be more than fair, maybe even generous, and I just say that much because it takes some self-motivation to actually be good at it.

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:49 PM
But good news for all the fiscally conservative here: now you know that you can tip 13% and you're actually giving the waiter money! You can feel good about tipping someone while saving $4.25 at the same time!

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
GTFOOH.

I'd venture 95% of the dining experience of members of the Mane are at places where waitressing takes zero talent or ability. It takes a solid work ethic and very minor familiarity with the location.
What talent, exactly, does it take to lift bags of cement?

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Muscles.

That One Guy
I'm guessing you've never worked in a restaurant. Most people who undervalue service only do so out of ignorance for what it actually entails. I make about 40x what i did when i was working in restaurants during college.

You could offer me double what I make today, and there's no way I would do it again.

I haven't.

Hard work doesn't mean anything, though. My uncle breaks his f'ing back doing construction for $10-$12 an hour, $15 on some occasions, but I wouldn't argue he deserves much more than that. It's a job someone could learn with a year, at most, on the job and just about any able-bodied male could do it.

It's not intended to be disrespectful necessarily nor to dismiss what they do. Just in the grand scheme of salaries, a tough job isn't directly proportional to high pay.

errand

Really? How much talent does it take to bring a glass of water, or a couple of drinks, write down an order, take it to the kitchen, and then pick it up and take it back to the people who ordered it, check on then a couple of times (usually asking them how is everything when their mouths are full) and then cashing them out?

So if your argument is they are better educated (how you know that is beyond me) so they should be compensated more, then why did you go through the whole we should make up their salary because they don't earn a "living wage" liberal talking points bull****?

Most people on here will agree that the average server (even the bad ones) make more than $10-12 an hour.....

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 12:53 PM

I was in the process of responding to another while you were typing this. See that post.

Dedhed
02-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Really? How much talent does it take to bring a glass of water, or a couple of drinks, write down an order, take it to the kitchen, and then pick it up and take it back to the people who ordered it, check on then a couple of times (usually asking them how is everything when their mouths are full) and then cashing them out?

Far more than it does to "I pick them up, and I put them DOwn!"

PS-Spoken like the truly ignorant.

errand
02-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Far more than it does to "I pick them up, and I put them DOwn!"

PS-Spoken like the truly ignorant.

OK...and once again, servers make more per hour in total compensation than the car loading guy does....so why were you trying to go with the "living wage" bull****?

you posted this -

"You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.

This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry."

You implied that we the public should tip more because these poor servers don't make a living wage....

I gave an example of another person in another job that doesn't make a living wage either, but you seem to think that they're not worthy of being paid a "living wage"

And you have the unmitigated gall to call me ignorant?

DHallblows
02-09-2013, 01:10 PM
They're unskilled labor in most cases - if they're making enough to be concerned with the Federal Gov't taxation rates, they should be pretty happy. I have a feeling most don't - for good cause.

FYI, I'm pretty sure everyone should be concerned with their IRS tax rates even if they are just some idiot serving me food

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 01:22 PM
FYI, I'm pretty sure everyone should be concerned with their IRS tax rates even if they are just some idiot serving me food

I just doubt many make enough that they actually pay into the Fed Gov't. Most likely get all their withholdings back.

TonyR
02-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Pretty easy to do.

I'm guilty of over stating my case with "practically impossible". But I think we can probably all agree that it isn't "easy" and that the type of earnings you're talking about are by far the exception to the rule in that line of work. For ever person who pulls in that kind of $ as a server there are hundreds who don't remotely do so.

GreatBronco16
02-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Minimum wage for tipped employees is an appalling $2.13 an hour

According to who? Around here, tipped employees get half of minimum wage plus their tips. So half of 7.25 is what they get, so 3.63.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 03:52 PM
According to who? Around here, tipped employees get half of minimum wage plus their tips. So half of 7.25 is what they get, so 3.63.

It's a state thing. The Feds establish the minimum wage but the state can go higher. In like 5 states, there's no such thing as anything under minimum wage but that's state based. He could be citing either the Fed min or his local min.

Willynowei
02-09-2013, 04:16 PM
All you guys trying to say I'm wrong, go into the tax code, or find me an IRS form that shows 12.5% as the absolute minimum you have to report on sales at a restaurant.

Otherwise shut the **** up you panzies.

And really, please don't pretend like half your business isn't done in cash in that industry, an industry where the harder working bus-boys earn less than minimum wage and only get a chunk of the tips you give 'em.

I wouldn't be surprised either if some of you work at the higher end restaurants too, where you're getting paid double your peers due to the higher prices for half the work.

That One Guy
02-09-2013, 08:24 PM
All you guys trying to say I'm wrong, go into the tax code, or find me an IRS form that shows 12.5% as the absolute minimum you have to report on sales at a restaurant.

And really, please don't pretend like half your business isn't done in cash in that industry, an industry where the harder working bus-boys earn less than minimum wage and only get a chunk of the tips you give 'em.

I wouldn't be surprised either if some of you work at the higher end restaurants too, where you're getting paid double your peers due to the higher prices for half the work.

I'm with ya on waitresses. If there's a bigger group of crying bitches with an entitlement complex, I've never met them.

That said, I typed "8%" into the link you posted (after the other guy called BS) and got nothing. If you calling him f'ing stupid or whatever and it isn't actually what you said, that was a gaffe. Calling him out on his BS claim was fine but you just should've ensured your info was accurate for the TKO.

Tombstone RJ
02-09-2013, 08:51 PM
Sorry, that article is bull****.

I've lived in New York City nearly a decade. This is the most grueling, unforgiving city for waiters and waitresses, you always tip 15% here - that's satisfactory, period. 18% is ****ing fantastic.

I'll be damned if some suburbanite living in New Jersey (a place I've also lived just as long in) is going to comment on how New Yorkers tip for food.

People here can be especially stingy with tips, there are three kinds of people that tip particularly high in new york.

1 - Out of towners (majority), or in other words - idiots.

2 - People on business dinners/lunches because they aren't paying, the company is.

3 - People that've "made it" here. If you've made it in New York, you could probably buy each and every restaurant you walk into, that's a different story.

Otherwise you got a city full of wealthy jews and upper middle class people who try to save money anyway because the place is the second/third most expensive place to live in the world (and that's not counting immigrants who for obvious reasons won't tip generously).

Areas like New England and Midwest America tend to tip higher because of the small town help the guy out mentality and the fact that the areas are largely racially homogenous.

EDIT: That Article refers to the New York Post which only studied something like 2 restaurants - one of which is in the upper west side. If you ever want to eat the worst food in the world for the most amount of money, you'll find plenty such places in the Upper West Side, where the only thing people care about is what's the trendiest place to take your main squeezes and how well you can show off your dough before taking the chick upstairs.

see, this is why I come to the OMane. I have absolutely no reason to doubt Willy on this post. How can you make this **** up? Next time I'm in Manhattan, I don't give a ratz furry ass where I'm eating, I ain't gonna tip no 20-25% because I want the waiter to feel good, lol!

ScottXray
02-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Like you I tip 20% for good service. Sometimes more. If the service is average I'll go 15%, but if the service is bad I go 10% or even less ( really bad). Good waiters and waitresses know that service equals money and should show it. I do tend to tip higher percentages in lower tier restaurants, as the staff there don't get huge tabs for their diners.

A tip is a GRATUITY. It is a bonus for good service, not a mandatory fee. Restaurants are now required to pay at least servers minimum wage to the servers, and good restaurants pay a bit more. So, tips are not the only income waiters and waitresses make, which was true years ago. While large parties usually have a mandatory 18% added to the bill, that also means you can bitch to the manager if the service is not good, and I have done so in the past. BAD service does not justify 18%, especially when you are dropping $500 to 1K on a meal.

Those servers that think 18% is a minimum should not be working in the restaurant business.

Willynowei
02-10-2013, 03:00 AM
I'm with ya on waitresses. If there's a bigger group of crying b****es with an entitlement complex, I've never met them.

That said, I typed "8%" into the link you posted (after the other guy called BS) and got nothing. If you calling him f'ing stupid or whatever and it isn't actually what you said, that was a gaffe. Calling him out on his BS claim was fine but you just should've ensured your info was accurate for the TKO.

I got you dude.

Under that link is the following paragraph:

Allocation of Tips

You must allocate tips among employees who receive them if the total tips reported to you during any payroll period are less than 8% (or the approved lower rate) of this establishment's gross receipts for that period.

Generally, the amount allocated is the difference between the total tips reported by employees and 8% (or the lower rate) of the gross receipts, other than nonallocable receipts.

If people are genuinely offended by my rants, don't take my abrasiveness too seriously, if its not obvious, i'm just one of those.

That One Guy
02-10-2013, 06:24 AM
I got you dude.

Allocation of Tips

You must allocate tips among employees who receive them if the total tips reported to you during any payroll period are less than 8% (or the approved lower rate) of this establishment's gross receipts for that period.

Generally, the amount allocated is the difference between the total tips reported by employees and 8% (or the lower rate) of the gross receipts, other than nonallocable receipts.

If people are genuinely offended by my rants, don't take my abrasiveness too seriously, if its not obvious, i'm just one of those.

I saw that part but didn't realize it applied. Can you translate?

Rock Chalk
02-10-2013, 08:45 AM

I was a waiter once upon a time.

And even as a former waiter Im not giving 18% I dont give a **** how good their service is.

You get no tip at all for bad service. Your job as a waiter isn't ****ing hard, if you cant give me average service Im not giving you one ****ing cent.

For average service, you get an average tip 7%. I will not tip ANYONE over 15% of my bill and thats 15% of my pre-tax bill.

A good waiter giving good service at a moderately priced restaurant can handle about 20 tables a night at approximately $100 per table. Giving good service to every one of them is 10 bucks on average (because some people are ****ty tippers and some people are over-tippers because they have small penises and some tables will get good service and some tables wont) per table or 200 bucks a night. These aren't generally people supporting a family, this is generally just out of HS, or college age students or losers that are going no where anyway.

200 bucks a night is a pretty good living for the demographic of waiters.

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2013, 08:51 AM
I saw that part but didn't realize it applied. Can you translate?

I'll translate it for you, have you ever dated a waitress? I dated a hotty cocktail waitress back in the day and she made good money on tips. You don't actually think she claimed all of that income on her taxes, do you?

Lets say she made 20% on her tips, that some good cash. However, she only claimed she made like 10% on her tips when filling out her paperwork. This is the discrepency that I'm seeing but I could be wrong.

Dedhed
02-10-2013, 08:53 AM
OK...and once again, servers make more per hour in total compensation than the car loading guy does....so why were you trying to go with the "living wage" bull****?
You are beyond daft. They're only paid a living wage because of tips, WHICH IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THIS THREAD!!!

you posted this -

"You probably know that when you order a meal in restaurant, the person who brings you the food is generally paid less than minimum wage. Tips are supposed to make up the difference.

This is not a small problem. Almost one-third of food workers don't have enough money to buy enough safe and nutritious food to meet their needs. The people who make and serve your food literally may be going hungry."

You implied that we the public should tip more because these poor servers don't make a living wage....

I gave an example of another person in another job that doesn't make a living wage either, but you seem to think that they're not worthy of being paid a "living wage"

And you have the unmitigated gall to call me ignorant?
Clearly you have issues and less than the average set of observation skills. I did not write that, it was clipped from an email I happened to get in my spam box. I thought the drastically different font and completely different tone would make that pretty obvious.

And again. No server is paid a living wage without tips, which is the point of this thread. Remind yourself of that 12 times before the next time you post.

ghwk
02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I also do 15% on the pretax and up to 20% if the service is really good. You have to be really ****ty for me to give less than 15%.

What pisses me off is the automatic 18% for parties of 6 or more because I have received some really lousy service in those situations. Pluse I have accidentally tipped 15% without noticing that the gratuity has already been added and not once have I had the waitperson point out the mistake, or at least mention it. Yeah my bad for not paying closer attention to the bill but I never go back to the restaurant again.

Tombstone RJ
02-10-2013, 08:58 AM
oh lawdy I loved dating that cocktail waitress!! I was in good with the bartendar too. I drank all night long like a fish and ate dinner too and then he would hand me the bill for like $10.00. You know this guy got a $50.00 tip, right??

errand
02-10-2013, 09:11 AM
Clearly you have issues and less than the average set of observation skills. I did not write that, it was clipped from an email I happened to get in my spam box. I thought the drastically different font and completely different tone would make that pretty obvious.

And again. No server is paid a living wage without tips, which is the point of this thread. Remind yourself of that 12 times before the next time you post.

Hey dumbass...I never said you wrote it...I said you posted it

I guess reading and comprehension isn't your strong suit...

Be that as it may, you "posted" it because you obviously agreed with it. If a living wage is considered to be around 10-12 dollars an hour, why aren't you advocating that people tip ANYONE who makes less than that?

And if you cared to read with the intent to comprehend you'd have seen that I stated most servers, even bad ones make more than $10-12 an hour...and we know their hourly wage isn't a "living wage" without tips...if it were they wouldn't be allowed to receive tips, dumbass....

One poster said that if given the choice between being paid a higher hourly wage vs. the lower wage and tips, they will take the lower with tips every damn time......and he is correct

Dedhed
02-10-2013, 09:22 AM

Talking in a more aggressive tone and adding insults doesn't cover up the fact that you're wrong. 8% has nothing to do with servers, it's the baseline for the establishment, not the servers.

Dedhed
02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Hey dumbass...I never said you wrote it...I said you posted it

I guess reading and comprehension isn't your strong suit...
You implied that we the public should tip more because these poor servers don't make a living wage....I didn't imply it, the article did, but I'm sure you were aware of that; right? Keep backtracking though.

Be that as it may, you "posted" it because you obviously agreed with it. If a living wage is considered to be around 10-12 dollars an hour, why aren't you advocating that people tip ANYONE who makes less than that?

And if you cared to read with the intent to comprehend you'd have seen that I stated most servers, even bad ones make more than $10-12 an hour...and we know their hourly wage isn't a "living wage" without tips...if it were they wouldn't be allowed to receive tips, dumbass....

One poster said that if given the choice between being paid a higher hourly wage vs. the lower wage and tips, they will take the lower with tips every damn time......and he is correct
I would give you kudos for not actually answering to the topic, like a great politician, if I thought there was any way you were aware of the fact that you weren't actually arguing the topic.

Dedhed
02-10-2013, 09:32 AM

And even as a former waiter Im not giving 18% I dont give a **** how good their service is.

You get no tip at all for bad service. Your job as a waiter isn't ****ing hard, if you cant give me average service Im not giving you one ****ing cent.

For average service, you get an average tip 7%. I will not tip ANYONE over 15% of my bill and thats 15% of my pre-tax bill.

A good waiter giving good service at a moderately priced restaurant can handle about 20 tables a night at approximately $100 per table. Giving good service to every one of them is 10 bucks on average (because some people are ****ty tippers and some people are over-tippers because they have small penises and some tables will get good service and some tables wont) per table or 200 bucks a night. These aren't generally people supporting a family, this is generally just out of HS, or college age students or losers that are going no where anyway.

It always amazes me when people take great pride in being cheap.

Let me ask you this: when you receive poor service and leave no tip, do you have the guts and decency to explain to the server why you don't feel they deserve a tip, or do you wait until they're back is turned and skulk out the door before they realize you left them nothing?

GreatBronco16
02-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Let me ask you this: when you receive poor service and leave no tip, do you have the guts and decency to explain to the server why you don't feel they deserve a tip, or do you wait until they're back is turned and skulk out the door before they realize you left them nothing?

I remember one time way back in the day, I got some really piss poor service. Can't remember the restaurants name, but it was so bad I left the waitress just a penny for a tip. Some months later we went back and sure enough, she was our waitress again, well she earned herself a much better tip that time.

But to answer your question, if they want to know why they didn't 'EARN' a tip, then they are more than welcome to come and ask.

Play2win
02-10-2013, 10:21 AM
All I hear is a whole bunch of (self) Entitlement going on here.

LOL...

That One Guy
02-10-2013, 10:25 AM

On the one recent occasion where things have been so bad I didn't leave any tip, I was annoyed that I even went to the restaurant that morning. I didn't feel I owed that bitch a thing and leaving without calling her a worthless piece of trash was my good deed for the day.

It's not our job to help them grow and make sure they understand their mistakes. It's not like we're correcting a programming language or something. Take order to cooks, bring food back. Refill drinks when you can see the cups are almost empty. If they can't figure that out, F them.

GreatBronco16
02-10-2013, 10:28 AM
On the one recent occasion where things have been so bad I didn't leave any tip, I was annoyed that I even went to the restaurant that morning. I didn't feel I owed that b**** a thing and leaving without calling her a worthless piece of trash was my good deed for the day.

It's not our job to help them grow and make sure they understand their mistakes. It's not like we're correcting a programming language or something. Take order to cooks, bring food back. Refill drinks when you can see the cups are almost empty. If they can't figure that out, F them.

Damn skippy.

That One Guy
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

LOL

I love this guy...

DHallblows
02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

Allocation of Tips

Yeah, reposting the part of your link that proved you incorrect isn't the best path to take in this discussion...

Dedhed
02-10-2013, 10:55 AM
On the one recent occasion where things have been so bad I didn't leave any tip, I was annoyed that I even went to the restaurant that morning. I didn't feel I owed that b**** a thing and leaving without calling her a worthless piece of trash was my good deed for the day.

I guess it comes down to the golden rule in my book. Treat people like you want to be treated. If I get poor service I tell the server why their tip is terrible, and 99% of the time they understand. I tip well because I remember what it felt like to get a great tip, and to me adding another 5% is fairly meaningless to me, but can make someone's day.

It's not your job to help anyone grow, but I've appreciated when random people have helped me grow and understand my mistakes and I go out of my way to do the same for others. It's the #1 reason I am where I am today. I've made more great business connections through restaurants/bars that I frequent than just about anywhere else.

Discounting anyone (F them), imo, is a bad practice that leads nowhere.