PDA

View Full Version : Robot cars will be on roads sooner than you think...

Taco John
01-31-2013, 12:29 AM
Google's Trillion-Dollar Driverless Car: Sooner Than You Think

In 2008, a state-of-the-art driverless car could go two blocks on its own on a closed course at 25mph. By 2012, the driverless car could operate in real-world conditions at 75mph.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chunkamui/2013/01/30/googles-trillion-dollar-driverless-car-part-3-sooner-than-you-think/

loborugger
01-31-2013, 05:18 AM
I think some states like CA & NV have already put the laws on their books for robot cars, right?

Drek
01-31-2013, 05:44 AM
I think some states like CA & NV have already put the laws on their books for robot cars, right?

Yes. They'll be available within the next decade at a minimum, and we'll likely see a rather large expansion of automated feature sets (not just parallel parking assist) in the very near term. Auto course correction for highway driving is one example I'd expect to see very soon, helping long distance drivers avoid the pitfalls of driving while fatigued.

Ray Finkle
01-31-2013, 05:49 AM
F that....I am still waiting for my hover board.....

Stupid Back to the Future 2.

Rohirrim
01-31-2013, 05:49 AM
I wonder how long before we can do without the profession of truck driver? Eh, Spider? ;D

2KBack
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM
Yes. They'll be available within the next decade at a minimum, and we'll likely see a rather large expansion of automated feature sets (not just parallel parking assist) in the very near term. Auto course correction for highway driving is one example I'd expect to see very soon, helping long distance drivers avoid the pitfalls of driving while fatigued.

This is why I want auto-cars. I would love to set my Car for my parents house in Texas, then go to sleep.

hades
01-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Sweet, no more worries about NFL players, or me for that matter, getting a DUI! :thumbs:

TheReverend
01-31-2013, 06:00 AM
Sweet, no more worries about NFL players, or me for that matter, getting a DUI! :thumbs:

Sadly I imagine they'll still have manual override features for safety and DUIs will still exist for the foreseeable future.

What Im trying to say is this: DJ will find a way #DymeLyfe

hades
01-31-2013, 06:07 AM
Sadly I imagine they'll still have manual override features for safety and DUIs will still exist for the foreseeable future.

What Im trying to say is this: DJ will find a way #DymeLyfe

Instead of designated drivers, you can get a designated blower, to blow into the tube to pass the test to start the car. Quick $50, and he goes back into the bar, waiting for the next drunk to need his service. Or I know some girls who will do it for $20... :kiss:

Pony Boy
01-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Cool idea until a giant Solar Flare causes a massive pileup nation wide.

maven
01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
Trillion dollars!!!!!! wow wow wo what a headline!

Research car cost $300k to make