PDA

View Full Version : FREE AGENTS 2 TARGET

g6matty
01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
http://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/gZT2u2hn7nwXdKH.FfJscA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NoPTI0MDtjcj0xO2N3PTE4MDtkeD0xO2 R5PTE7Zmk9dWxjcm9wO2g9MjQwO3E9MTAwO3c9MTgw/http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/ipt/chunginglineGETTYx.jpg

i like chung out of new eangland over mike adams. chung plays with tenacity and will add speed to the secondary.

ZONA
01-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Shonn Greene - RB (5'11 225lbs)

Instant upgrade to the running game. Still a young guy, was drafted in 2009. Very talented and physical back. Anybody who knows the NFL knows this guy is a great back.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/88/ef/1350563926_8945_greene.jpg

TonyR
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
^ Mock would have approved. Loved him some Shonn Green.

TonyR
01-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Here's a detailed list:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21613125/top-2013-nfl-free-agents-offense-receivers-are-top-targets

g6matty
01-25-2013, 05:16 PM
if we're looking for running backs lets steal chris ivory from new orleans. i have no ****in idea how this guy is 4th string on a team ....

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/david_sabino/11/12/fantasy-football-risers-sliders-week10/chris-ivory.jpg

ZONA
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Here's a detailed list:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/21613125/top-2013-nfl-free-agents-offense-receivers-are-top-targets

That list is for offense only.

Also - would love to snag Jairus Byrd (S). Some places have him listed in their top 5 best FA's for this year.

Gutless Drunk
01-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Donnie Avery?

In a 2008 pre-draft workout at the Houston Pro Day, Avery ran the 40-yard dash in 4.27 seconds.

http://www.fftoday.com/stats/players/2889/Donnie_Avery

TonyR
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
That list is for offense only.

This one includes defense:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/freeagents.html

orange crusher
01-25-2013, 05:35 PM
if we're looking for running backs lets steal chris ivory from new orleans. i have no ****in idea how this guy is 4th string on a team ....

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/david_sabino/11/12/fantasy-football-risers-sliders-week10/chris-ivory.jpg

Agreed, make it happen John!

ZONA
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
This may not be a popular choice here but I still think Richard Seymour can play some football at a high level. Think he's in 12th season but he's got great versatility on that DL and at 6'6 318 he's got enough size and height to do alot of things (rush the middle, play the run, bat some balls). He could be a really nice addition inside and I don't think he'll come with a huge price tag.

Gutless Drunk
01-25-2013, 05:38 PM
Agreed, make it happen John!

agreed to agreed, but he is a RFA.

lonestar
01-25-2013, 05:46 PM
This may not be a popular choice here but I still think Richard Seymour can play some football at a high level. Think he's in 12th season but he's got great versatility on that DL and at 6'6 318 he's got enough size and height to do alot of things (rush the middle, play the run, bat some balls). He could be a really nice addition inside and I don't think he'll come with a huge price tag.

I have always loved this guy and he has always handed our a SS to us when we have played him.

But I doubt he would be cheap.

gunns
01-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I would love Chung or Byrd or both. Or William Moore. I'd also love to have Melton and maybe Ruud. For a WR I'd love to have Amendola.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-25-2013, 09:25 PM
What's the word on Quentin Carter? I always thought he was better than Moore. Still need safety help either way I guess

SlyEli
01-25-2013, 09:28 PM
http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/500x305_thumbnails/500x305-welker-20120122.jpg

wes.

KevinJames
01-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Reggie Bush is a free agent??

Sign me up

also I am intrigued by Javon Ringer and dare I say Kevin Smith.

g6matty
01-26-2013, 04:25 AM
according to the all knowing lonestar were strapped for cash so i was leaning towards realistic options. obviously we all love wes welker henry melton jairus byrd etc. but i think chung is a realistic option along with ivory, avery, and shonn greene. the front office tendency so far has been to draft well and fine solid FA signings. no real splashes aside from manning.

Ray Finkle
01-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Shonn Greene, you mean the RB with little vision and speed? Pass

I'd like Melton, Welker, and Byrd.....

elsid13
01-26-2013, 06:17 AM
Most of the time you get one or two really good players leaving their team as free agents, the rest of the FA market is made up of 2nd tier players or over the hill players that are complementary piece of the puzzle. That why I don't see Byrd, Moore, Chung or Melton being available.

eddie mac
01-26-2013, 06:59 AM
I would love Chung or Byrd or both. Or William Moore. I'd also love to have Melton and maybe Ruud. For a WR I'd love to have Amendola.

Chung had a rough year in NE, got benched.

winstoncup bronco
01-26-2013, 07:59 AM
Shonn Greene, you mean the RB with little vision and speed? Pass

Yeah really. Greene is still living off his postseason run from 2009.

g6matty
01-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Chung had a rough year in NE, got benched.

he was dealing with injury i think he can come onto our squad and benefit from better talent around him

broncos-rock
01-26-2013, 08:26 AM
Reggie Bush is a free agent??

Sign me up

also I am intrigued by Javon Ringer and dare I say Kevin Smith.

I was surprised by this as well! I like Hartline out of Miami too but I think Stokely will be our guy for one more year.

cutthemdown
01-26-2013, 08:49 AM
FA pretty thin this yr IMO. The big question is do the titans keep Chris Johnson or pay him 10 million next yr. If he got cut I would love him in Denver. With blocking hes a 1500 yrder easy.

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 08:59 AM
Pat Sims, Terrance Knighton DT
Larry Grant MLB
Jarius Byrd FS
Austin Collie WR
Reddman RB

.... Revis CB!!!!

nyuk nyuk
01-26-2013, 09:13 AM
Surely some of these studs would be willing to take a little hit in the wallet to get a ring or two?

Ray Finkle
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Pat Sims, Terrance Knighton DT
Larry Grant MLB
Jarius Byrd FS
Austin Collie WR
Reddman RB

.... Revis CB!!!!

Pudding Head Austin Collie? No thanks....

cutthemdown
01-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Surely some of these studs would be willing to take a little hit in the wallet to get a ring or two?

Maybe the ones who already had big paydays. Sometimes guys like Seymore if they want to play 1 more yr, or 2 yrs max will say no reason to do it on a loser. You sign with the pats, ravens, broncos, packers,niners, falcons you know some team with a great shot at going to the Superbowl.

That is why if Chris Johsnon got cut he would be an interesting guy. He made what 10 million last yr. Its possible he would then sign with a team he felt he could put up big numbers at and get another big deal.

he would kick ass in Denver it is my dream for the offseason. Titans owe him 10 million 4 days after superbowl.

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Pudding Head Austin Collie? No thanks....

Lol.. I saw my CP and saw you said that to me before. On a non guaranteed contract you would be opposed? I'm talking $1 million a year. If he can stay healthy, he's dynamic with Manning...

yerner
01-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Shonn Greene is freaking terrible.

DENVERDUI55
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Shonn Greene is freaking terrible.
Yeah and Patrick Chung is a S who can't cover.

BroncosfanGuy
01-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I think Steven Jackson would be a better option than any of the FA RBs on that list. He's aging, but on a short, cap-friendly deal he's a dynamic, bruising pass-catching RB that still has some miles on him.

If he's not available (retirement) or interested then I'm not sure any FA RB would be better than Moreno+McGahee+Hillman (with Moreno as the lead RB, Hillman as a COP RB, McGahee as a short-yardage option)

Shonn Greene & any of the Steeler RBs? slow, plodding and not much of an asset in the passing game. Not a guy who the Broncos should actively pursue to bump McGahee from the pecking order, imo.

yerner
01-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah and Patrick Chung is a S who can't cover.

sarcasm? cause i pretty much agree.

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 12:58 PM
I think Steven Jackson would be a better option than any of the FA RBs on that list. He's aging, but on a short, cap-friendly deal he's a dynamic, bruising pass-catching RB that still has some miles on him.

If he's not available (retirement) or interested then I'm not sure any FA RB would be better than Moreno+McGahee+Hillman (with Moreno as the lead RB, Hillman as a COP RB, McGahee as a short-yardage option)

Shonn Greene & any of the Steeler RBs? slow, plodding and not much of an asset in the passing game. Not a guy who the Broncos should actively pursue to bump McGahee from the pecking order, imo.

That's interesting.. While we would all like SJax, to say no other RB would help in the passing game is either you not knowing the FA list, or what players actually can do. And those Pittsburgh free agents, I would sign Redman to a cap friendly cheap deal, as he is a great asset in the passing game and in pass protection.

g6matty
01-26-2013, 01:13 PM
you guys are wrong about chung he has great speed and can cover the rest of new england cant leaving huge holes for him trying to fill . he would benefit from a team switch . hes definitely an upgrade over mike adams and he plays with swagggg the ultimate stat in football

2KBack
01-26-2013, 01:20 PM
you guys are wrong about chung he has great speed and can cover the rest of new england cant leaving huge holes for him trying to fill . he would benefit from a team switch . hes definitely an upgrade over mike adams and he plays with swagggg the ultimate stat in football

I'm sure that is why their defense improved after he was benched.

Inkana7
01-26-2013, 01:35 PM
I'd be down with Ivory and Byrd

DENVERDUI55
01-26-2013, 01:36 PM
sarcasm? cause i pretty much agree.

No I agree completely. Greene has been nothing but average other than his rookie year in the playoffs and Chung was benched in New England.

Inkana7
01-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Then again, let's be wary of FA safeties: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshiomogho_Atogwe

BroncosfanGuy
01-26-2013, 01:41 PM
That's interesting.. While we would all like SJax, to say no other RB would help in the passing game is either you not knowing the FA list, or what players actually can do. And those Pittsburgh free agents, I would sign Redman to a cap friendly cheap deal, as he is a great asset in the passing game and in pass protection.

Reread my statement, I never said none of the FAs would help in the passing game. I said none of them would be good enough to improve the aggregate production of our trio of Moreno, McGahee, Hillman--aside from S Jax. I will say that one I'm warming on after S Jax is Chris Ivory.

As for Greene and the Steeler backs, I did say that none of those guys add much of anything to the passing game (Redman's career-high 19 receptions doesn't equal him being a "great asset in the passing game"), and I'll take that a step further by saying none of those players add anything to the offence. They are all slow plodders who will likely not be retained by their respective teams for good reason--despite their relatively cheap price tags. We have a short-yardage guy already in McGahee and his abilities (even at his advanced aged) surpass those of any of the Steeler backs or Shonn Greene.

g6matty
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm sure that is why their defense improved after he was benched.

they traded for talib moved mccouty to fs and started dennard. gtfo lmao

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Reread my statement, I never said none of the FAs would help in the passing game. I said none of them would be good enough to improve the aggregate production of our trio of Moreno, McGahee, Hillman--aside from S Jax. I will say that one I'm warming on after S Jax is Chris Ivory.

As for Greene and the Steeler backs, I did say that none of those guys add much of anything to the passing game (Redman's career-high 19 receptions doesn't equal him being a "great asset in the passing game"), and I'll take that a step further by saying none of those players add anything to the offence. They are all slow plodders who will likely not be retained by their respective teams for good reason--despite their relatively cheap price tags. We have a short-yardage guy already in McGahee and his abilities (even at his advanced aged) surpass those of any of the Steeler backs or Shonn Greene.

Isaac Redman was only a starter for a brief time this season. It's obvious your reading his stats and don't exactly follow every other team. Only Jackson is really going to up grade the RB position, at least from the current FA list.

Reggie Bush
Felix Jones
Kevin Smith

These type of players could actually work in a Manning offense. But if your looking for instant upgrade, yes Steven Jackson is really the only name from that current list unless others are added..

Redman would be a cheap depth signing for me, no doubt in my mind could he do what McGahee and Moreno do. And I never mentioned Shonn Greens name, he's terrible.

DBroncos4life
01-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Redman is a RFA.

BroncosfanGuy
01-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Isaac Redman was only a starter for a brief time this season. It's obvious your reading his stats and don't exactly follow every other team. Only Jackson is really going to up grade the RB position, at least from the current FA list.

Reggie Bush
Felix Jones
Kevin Smith

These type of players could actually work in a Manning offense. But if your looking for instant upgrade, yes Steven Jackson is really the only name from that current list unless others are added..

Redman would be a cheap depth signing for me, no doubt in my mind could he do what McGahee and Moreno do. And I never mentioned Shonn Greens name, he's terrible.

No, I'm aware he was a part-time starter, which is a testament to the guy's talents as a RB if he's coming in as a reserve or sharing time with guys like Dwyer and a healing Mendenhall. The point is Arians and Haley are not stupid, if Redman was such a "great asset to the passing game" he would have been used out of the backfield as a receiver and thus his stats would reflect his "great assets." I've seen plenty of Stiller games so spare me the "you obviously don't follow other teams" BS. He's a run-of-the-mill backup quality RB who would add nothing to the Denver offense as it's currently constructed.

As for Bush, Jones, and Kevin Smith, I ask whose role they take? Moreno's? Sorry, but I don't see the value in adding any of them. Moreno's just as good or a better all-around back than any of those 3, and just as adequate in the passing game. Are any of them more durable than Moreno? Based on all three of their careers, the answer is an emphatic no. So Jones and Bush may be more sudden than Moreno, but then are you saying they replace Hillman as the COP/explosive RB? Probably not considering the growth Hillman displayed over the season and the fact that he's in his 2nd year on an affordable contract.

So then does one of Jones, Bush, or Smith replace McGahee as the short-yardage/chain mover? I don't think even warrants any amount of discussion. It's laughable to assume any of those 3 would be more effective in that role.

Spare me the "you must not follow other teams BS" just because I disagree with you. I've seen plenty of each of the RBs that have been listed. I've also been a fan of the Broncos for more than 9 months, Bmore Manning fanguy, so I have a pretty decent grip on how the current Broncos players stack up against the backs on the market.

But to be honest, I'm not sure why we are even going back and forth here,since what I've underlined in your argument is basically why I think we should sit out taking a RB from the FA crop unless his name is Steven Jackson.

Inkana7
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
Felix Jones is tempting, because he seems like the kind of guy who could look to redeem himself, but he's a speed back with utility skills, and we have that with Hillman and Moreno. If Hillman develops and they use him a bit better, he can be a real weapon. He played his ass off in the playoff game.

2KBack
01-26-2013, 03:02 PM
they traded for talib moved mccouty to fs and started dennard. gtfo lmao

and sat a healthy Patrick Chung on the bench in the biggest games of the season. Maybe he was just too much a playmaker on special teams to waste him on playing in the secondary.

BroncosfanGuy
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Felix Jones is tempting, because he seems like the kind of guy who could look to redeem himself, but he's a speed back with utility skills, and we have that with Hillman and Moreno. If Hillman develops and they use him a bit better, he can be a real weapon. He played his ass off in the playoff game.
I agree. And if the guy isn't a substantial upgrade and doesn't fit a niche in the offense, what's the point in diverting $$$ that can be better spent on substantially upgrading other areas of the team?

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 03:26 PM
No, I'm aware he was a part-time starter, which is a testament to the guy's talents as a RB if he's coming in as a reserve or sharing time with guys like Dwyer and a healing Mendenhall. The point is Arians and Haley are not stupid, if Redman was such a "great asset to the passing game" he would have been used out of the backfield as a receiver and thus his stats would reflect his "great assets." I've seen plenty of Stiller games so spare me the "you obviously don't follow other teams" BS. He's a run-of-the-mill backup quality RB who would add nothing to the Denver offense as it's currently constructed.

As for Bush, Jones, and Kevin Smith, I ask whose role they take? Moreno's? Sorry, but I don't see the value in adding any of them. Moreno's just as good or a better all-around back than any of those 3, and just as adequate in the passing game. Are any of them more durable than Moreno? Based on all three of their careers, the answer is an emphatic no. So Jones and Bush may be more sudden than Moreno, but then are you saying they replace Hillman as the COP/explosive RB? Probably not considering the growth Hillman displayed over the season and the fact that he's in his 2nd year on an affordable contract.

So then does one of Jones, Bush, or Smith replace McGahee as the short-yardage/chain mover? I don't think even warrants any amount of discussion. It's laughable to assume any of those 3 would be more effective in that role.

Spare me the "you must not follow other teams BS" just because I disagree with you. I've seen plenty of each of the RBs that have been listed. I've also been a fan of the Broncos for more than 9 months, Bmore Manning fanguy, so I have a pretty decent grip on how the current Broncos players stack up against the backs on the market.

Nowhere did I say those three are better. Clearly said they would work in a Manning offense. Not upgrade.

How would anyone verify anything about who's more of a fan, you just joined. And you know so much about football and our scheme, LOL, it shows. You call Redman and Dwyer plodders, what does that make McGahee and Moreno???

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 03:29 PM
I agree. And if the guy isn't a substantial upgrade and doesn't fit a niche in the offense, what's the point in diverting $$$ that can be better spent on substantially upgrading other areas of the team?

The funny thing is new guy, in my offseason posts, only Steven Jackson is a name I mentioned in FA to offer an upgrade. But there are plenty of guys who could do what McGahee and Moreno do, for cheaper too.

BroncosfanGuy
01-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Nowhere did I say those three are better. Clearly said they would work in a Manning offense. Not upgrade.

How would anyone verify anything about who's more of a fan, you just joined. And you know so much about football and our scheme, LOL, it shows. You call Redman and Dwyer plodders, what does that make McGahee and Moreno???
you're going to have to trust me on it, brohan. or we can regale each other with tales of Bronco teams of yore. whatever works for you.

I agree McGahee is a plodder at this point. But, again, if we are speaking in terms of upgrading via FA (why else would we be discussing bringing any of these guys in?) why replace one plodder with a less talented plodder? Moreno's not a plodder. He's not a burner, but he's shifty and has the ability to make plays in the open space.

Bmore Manning
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
you're going to have to trust me on it, brohan. or we can regale each other with tales of Bronco teams of yore. whatever works for you.

I agree McGahee is a plodder at this point. But, again, if we are speaking in terms of upgrading via FA (why else would we be discussing bringing any of these guys in?) why replace one plodder with a less talented plodder? Moreno's not a plodder. He's not a burner, but he's shifty and has the ability to make plays in the open space.

Just throwing the scenario out there of what could be done..you can cut McGahee ($3 million) or Moreno ($1.7 million), even both. I think any of those backs could be adequate cheap depth options, and you could draft a RB and save $3+ million. Or we could pursue an upgrade in SJax. But it would be about money and or improvement, that's why we talk free agents.

BroncoMan4ever
01-26-2013, 07:45 PM
These all sound great, but none will happen unless they do a discount deal to play with Peyton. These are all guys who will be wanting good money and aside from Peyton, Elway has shown no desire to sign big money free agents. He is building with the draft and using free agency as a stop gap. Smaller money and short term deals are what John wants to give.

The Shanahan deals of the past are gone.

Hamrob
01-27-2013, 08:57 AM
After breaking the bank on Manning, I'm not getting my hopes up that we'll sign any stud this year in Free Agency. What we will do....is sign a handful of guys that are willing to sign 2-3yr deals at $1m to $2.5m/yr.

Needs:

DT
MLB
CB
WR
Guard/Tackle
RB

I'm hoping we go front 7, interior Oline with our first 3 picks. Then, pick up a WR in the 4th and add more depth.

If we could get 1-2 starters in FA that would be great...but, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Dedhed
01-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I would focus on making the defense an absolutely bomber unit. I don't think adding offensive players is going to give much return on investment. With Manning, I think the offense is what it is, and that to get over the hump within the Manning 2 year window we need to make the defense the unit to carry the team in the playoffs.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
I would focus on making the defense an absolutely bomber unit. I don't think adding offensive players is going to give much return on investment. With Manning, I think the offense is what it is, and that to get over the hump within the Manning 2 year window we need to make the defense the unit to carry the team in the playoffs.

Still need a RB with secure hands that can pick up 3rd down runs and be a goal line force to take pressure off Peyton and increase drive times to let the D stay fresh

mopatt24
01-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Even with the way the offense turned out with manning, it still needs some help. Moreno will stay I believe, his pass protection from that position is valuable as was all saw against the Ravens. His ability carrying the ball as a reliable back is still questioned. Only Chris Ivory and Reggie Bush interest me, from that list. ( Isn't Ivory only a RFA anyway? )
Reggie Bush would be a good addition for a Manning lead offense, IMO.

maher_tyler
01-27-2013, 11:56 AM
RB and DT in Free Agency. Everything else can be drafted.

g6matty
01-27-2013, 12:05 PM
can someone explain to me what a restricted free agent is

Dedhed
01-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Still need a RB with secure hands that can pick up 3rd down runs and be a goal line force to take pressure off Peyton and increase drive times to let the D stay fresh

Alternatively we need an OC willing to let Peyton throw the ball on 3rd and short, or 2nd and short.

DBroncos4life
01-27-2013, 12:15 PM
can someone explain to me what a restricted free agent is

They can sign with any team but the team that has the right of said player has a week to match the offer. Players can be assigned picks. Like Mike Wallace last year would have cost anyone that signed him a first rounder. Also the cost of a RFA tender is less I believe. Mike Wallace tender last year was only 2.7 million dollars, while franchise tags for a WR is 10.3 million dollars.

DBroncos4life
01-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Daryl Smith (JAC) - OLB - Playing only the final two games of the 2012 season due to a groin injury, Daryl Smith should still make a splash in free agency as one of the best 4- 3 outside linebackers in the league and a cornerstone of the Jaguars defense in recent years. Though he'll be 31 heading into next year, he remains a good athlete, strong in coverage, and reliable in playing the run. The Jaguars will pursue him this offseason and could feasibly lay the best offer on the table, but no one could fault him for wanting to finish his career playing for a contender. With so many variables at play, it's difficult to gauge what may unfold, but someone could get a steal at an underappreciated position

I think he fits our new scheme and I think he plays the role that JDR wanted from the get go out of DJ Williams. MLB on running downs and slide over to play SLB when Miller lines up to rush the passer. I think he would be the best move we can really do to address the LB position this off season. Poor MLB draft and FA's available make it hard to get a true 3 down MLB this year anyways.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Alternatively we need an OC willing to let Peyton throw the ball on 3rd and short, or 2nd and short.

True, but we need the running capabilitt as well for balance and to keep defenses at bay

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2013, 03:03 PM
RB and DT in Free Agency. Everything else can be drafted.

What is this board's fascination and desire for used up backs? RB is The one position a mid round draft pick can come in and be a starter and contributor to a team. Dump Willis and Ball and draft a guy, not get another old pair of legs to replace an old pair of legs

cutthemdown
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
What is this board's fascination and desire for used up backs? RB is The one position a mid round draft pick can come in and be a starter and contributor to a team. Dump Willis and Ball and draft a guy, not get another old pair of legs to replace an old pair of legs

I agree i don't get it. The media said rbs not worth high picks and fans run with it. Meanwhile the best backs usually taken in the draft and not FA retreads. So maybe you don't have to take one in round 1 but drafting rbs is not stupid. Its smart because you get them fresh instead of dealing with tired legs.

BroncoBuff
01-27-2013, 04:37 PM
This may not be a popular choice here but I still think Richard Seymour can play some football at a high level.

Ugh ... unpopular is right, he's a Patriot and a Raider. That makes him a 2-time loser.

Wes Mantooth
01-27-2013, 05:24 PM

We need an RB that can pass block day one. This sole reason is going to keep probably Moreno here or get a cheaper servicble vet.

BroncoMan4ever
01-27-2013, 06:51 PM
We need an RB that can pass block day one. This sole reason is going to keep probably Moreno here or get a cheaper servicble vet.

Pass blocking can be taught. It isn't something only select guys can do. Pass blocking is about knowing the plays and where to be. Draft a guy and teach him.

extralife
01-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Pass blocking can be taught.

that is not necessarily true. they got dudes named offensive linemen, and some of them are all pros and some of them are not. there are plenty of RBs in the draft who have literally never been asked to block in their lives. none of them ended up playing D1 ball because they were talented blockers, now all of a sudden you think you can teach them to immediately be good at it? maybe you can, for some of them. maybe you can't.

The Joker
01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
On offense one of my primary aims would be to get an upgrade either in the slot or at receiving TE.

Tamme and Stokely are steady players who don't drop many balls but neither causes a real matchup problem underneath. The Ravens played 2 deep safeties pretty much all day to take away Thomas and Decker and our other receiving options weren't good enough to step up and win what should have been favourable match-ups.

Welker is the one that jumps out as being a solution to this problem, but I'm not sure we'll have the cash.

socalorado
01-28-2013, 07:22 AM
I threw out Chris Ivorys name over a month ago here, but now i am a little hesitant.
As a RFA, he would more than likely cost DEN no less than a 4th round pick, and he
has had more injuries than i originally thought. No so sure hes worth it now.
I think DEN could just draft a RB by the 4th round that can do anything Ivory can.
And pass on Chung. Jeez, hes terrible.
1 of these guys would be great.
Dashon Goldson
William Moore
Danny Amendola.

elsid13
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
I would be happy with 2nd tier FA DT, Sammie Lee Hill, out of Detroit. He's a solid rotation DT that brings additional beef to the middle of the line. If we resign Vickerson and sign Hill, we have about 600 pounds of beef holding up the middle of the line.

socalorado
01-28-2013, 07:36 AM
I would be happy with 2nd tier FA DT, Sammie Lee Hill, out of Detroit. He's a solid rotation DT that brings additional beef to the middle of the line. If we resign Vickerson and sign Hill, we have about 600 pounds of beef holding up the middle of the line.

Another guy i have in my mocks and would have loved to have stolen as a RFA last year! DET wanted a 4th for Hill i think. Dude is underrated, and gets very little love, but hes a beast on the field. I actually think hes outplayed Suh at times this year, and deserves props. He would make for a monster wall that Methwolfe, Miller and Doom could work with. Good call.

Mediator12
01-28-2013, 09:38 AM
that is not necessarily true. they got dudes named offensive linemen, and some of them are all pros and some of them are not. there are plenty of RBs in the draft who have literally never been asked to block in their lives. none of them ended up playing D1 ball because they were talented blockers, now all of a sudden you think you can teach them to immediately be good at it? maybe you can, for some of them. maybe you can't.

This and bigtime. Most of the third down backs coming out only run patterns in college and from watching them try and pass block at the senior bowl this week, its going to take some time to learn this skill. And, it is an effort skill not a technical skill. It requires a desire to not let the QB get hit and most of these guys only want to catch passes. It's an attitude thing, more than just learning how to do it. There are not that many good pass protection qualified RB's in the league, let alone coming out of college offenses...

Mediator12
01-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Absolutely. DT has too much money tied up at DT, and even though they would want to keep him SUH and Fairley simply are going to prevent them from keeping him at a market price in FA. Add in the DE's who are getting paid and they have almost 30% of their cap in DL already. Way too much money in one area for a team.

elsid13
01-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Absolutely. DT has too much money tied up at DT, and even though they would want to keep him SUH and Fairley simply are going to prevent them from keeping him at a market price in FA. Add in the DE's who are getting paid and they have almost 30% of their cap in DL already. Way too much money in one area for a team.

If we pair him with Michael Johnson out of Cinncy, then we would have very solid DL on this team.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Med,

Want your opinion on something. How essential is Ryan Clady to the functionality of the Broncos offense?

broncosteven
01-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Most of the time you get one or two really good players leaving their team as free agents, the rest of the FA market is made up of 2nd tier players or over the hill players that are complementary piece of the puzzle. That why I don't see Byrd, Moore, Chung or Melton being available.

I think Melton is leaving duh bears, he was a prodigy of Lovie. Lovie developed him and believed he would be a great DT, it took a couple years but he did develop, then the bears go and fire Lovie.

We need to sign Clady 1st but I would like to have at least one Vet LB for depth (could be Brooking), a Vet Safety upgrading at least Adams, and a FA DT, maybe a Vet C and slot WR.

It will be fun to see if we can get the Neil Smith and Darien Gordon type signings this off season that get us over the hump.

broncosteven
01-28-2013, 03:27 PM
If we pair him with Michael Johnson out of Cinncy, then we would have very solid DL on this team.

How dare you forget about Wolfe!

I sure hope this guy can take his game up a notch next year.

elsid13
01-28-2013, 04:16 PM
How dare you forget about Wolfe!

I sure hope this guy can take his game up a notch next year.

I am more concern with Doom then anything else. He seems to wear down every year I think we need young pass rusher to help him.

maher_tyler
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM

I think Hillman will make big strides from this past season to next season. Find a solid power back at a decent price in FA. If there is a RB that fits that disciption in the draft then draft him. I just prefer a vet at that position is all. As long as we don't ignore the same holes we have had ill be happy.

Mediator12
01-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Med,

Want your opinion on something. How essential is Ryan Clady to the functionality of the Broncos offense?

Hmmm, that is a real solid question. I think he is the perfect LT in this system, and he is scheme versatile as well. No way I would ever let him walk in FA! Too good and solid of a LT. Those guys are damn hard to find, and you pay them when you get them.

TonyR
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Here are IAOFM's FA candidates:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/you-got-served-2013-broncos-salary-cap-and-free-agency-primer-part-2