PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode VII

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
J.J. Abrams set to direct. Michael Arndt to pen the screenplay. My faith in the future of the franchise has been restored.

The final quote in the article is exactly how I'm feeling right now: ‘‘He took the ‘Star Trek’ franchise, which was just drowning in misery, and he was able to bring that back to life,’’ Frazier said. ‘‘If there’s anyone that can do it with ‘Star Wars’ I think it’s him.’’

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/2013/01/25/reports-abrams-direct-next-star-wars/K7EdGNFgK2lGVvj95XRaJL/story.html

bronco militia
01-25-2013, 07:54 AM
http://www.dreamstime.com/old-man-sleeping-thumb19034465

bronco militia
01-25-2013, 07:55 AM
"that's no space station....that's lens flare!"

2KBack
01-25-2013, 08:02 AM
All Star Wars really needed was someone with a strong love for the Original Trilogy. The Mythos is complete....All it needed was a competent caretaker, some one that won't screw with stuff. I think Abrams can do that just fine.

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 08:48 AM
George Lucas selling the franchise is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Luke got his arm cut off.

ColoradoDarin
01-25-2013, 08:51 AM
All Star Wars really needed was someone with a strong love for the Original Trilogy. The Mythos is complete....All it needed was a competent caretaker, some one that won't screw with stuff. I think Abrams can do that just fine.

If you've seen Super 8 then you know JJ can make an imitation Spielberg film, I'm ready for his version of Star Wars. And he absolutely loves the franchise, probably way more than Lucas did since 1978.

TheReverend
01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Lots of people preemptively whining about lens flares

TheReverend
01-25-2013, 08:54 AM
"that's no space station....that's lens flare!"

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/092/628/awwww%20yeee.jpeg
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/811/LENSflaaare.jpg
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/265/6dyfdw.jpg
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/240/5nproi.jpg
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/242/2rfrm1j.jpg
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/087/244/2ljicr4.jpg

bronco militia
01-25-2013, 09:04 AM
BWHAHA!

oh well...i'm 40 and finally don't care about star wars.

:sad:

**** YOU GEORGE

2KBack
01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
If you've seen Super 8 then you know JJ can make an imitation Spielberg film, I'm ready for his version of Star Wars. And he absolutely loves the franchise, probably way more than Lucas did since 1978.

I enjoyed Super 8, Really like the new Star Trek, and loved Cloverfield

Man-Goblin
01-25-2013, 09:14 AM
George Lucas selling the franchise is the best thing to happen to Star Wars since Luke got his arm cut off.

Pish. Thanks for the spoiler alert.

Pick Six
01-25-2013, 09:26 AM

That's nothing. Wait until I reveal Luke's father. It's the spoiler of spoilers...

Rohirrim
01-25-2013, 09:26 AM
Hopefully, JJ revisits Joseph Campbell.

Pick Six
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
BTW, I'm glad Disney found someone who has a love for Star Wars. It makes me think that he won't take it to an unrecognizable direction...:thumbs:

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/092/990/GQMF-Motion%20Picture.jpg

2KBack
01-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Goddamn Star Trek: The Motion Picture was bad.

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2013, 09:42 AM
The Spock bukkake line above has me in pain.

Drunk Monkey
01-25-2013, 09:50 AM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/619/c3c/273/resized/putin-success-meme-generator-aw-yiss-07e67e.jpg

Hercules Rockefeller
01-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Thrawn Triology is all I want to hear from him

And yes I know they've said the new movies won't be from the EU

Houshyamama
01-25-2013, 09:54 AM
I was hoping for Joss Whedon. Abrams will do fine though.

chickennob2
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
I was hoping for was Joss Whedon. Abrams will do fine though.

Yeah, I don't know. The best thing about Whedon's work, in my opinion, is the dialogue. But he won't be writing Ep. 7, it's already being written by Michael Arndt, the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3. A guy who, by the way, is a huuuuuuge Star Wars nut. I think we're in good hands with JJ Abrams.

Rohirrim
01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
The special effects of 2001: A Space Odyssey, for instance, have been praised in the past for their striking realism; however, modern producers have sagely detected the lack of lens flare that might distract from the scene of the alignment of the planets and the monolith.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Lens_flare

Pick Six
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/092/990/GQMF-Motion%20Picture.jpg

Yeah. I was going to make a comment, about this. The inside joke, of this thread, seems to be a lens flare. However, the lens flare was the only thing I REMEMBERED, from that COMPLETELY forgettable first movie...

Houshyamama
01-25-2013, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I don't know. The best thing about Whedon's work, in my opinion, is the dialogue. But he won't be writing Ep. 7, it's already being written by Michael Arndt, the guy who wrote Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3. A guy who, by the way, is a huuuuuuge Star Wars nut. I think we're in good hands with JJ Abrams.

Fair points. When I watched Firefly, I kept thinking it was an ode to Star Wars in so many ways.

That One Guy
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM

^Exactly.

I just watched Episode 4 for the first time last weekend. If I can make time, I might try to catch 5 this weekend. People speak highly of them so I figure I'll check the series out.

Houshyamama
01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
^Exactly.

I just watched Episode 4 for the first time last weekend. If I can make time, I might try to catch 5 this weekend. People speak highly of them so I figure I'll check the series out.

Not sure if serious.

Rohirrim
01-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Luke is actually a woman.

Taco John
01-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Thrawn Triology is all I want to hear from him

And yes I know they've said the new movies won't be from the EU

Not me. I thought the Thrawn Trilogy was boring. It took Zahn 3 books to get to one lightsaber battle... I'm of the opinion that the Thrawn Trilogy is among the most overrated writing in the Star Wars universe and would make for a pretty boring set of movies.

Chris
01-25-2013, 11:10 AM
JJ Abrams is an ok director. He made one great movie (Star Trek). They had Ben Affleck in contention as well... dunno... Affleck could have elevated Star Wars into some seriously powerful territory. Whatever, I'm cool with it.

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Not me. I thought the Thrawn Trilogy was boring. It took Zahn 3 books to get to one lightsaber battle... I'm of the opinion that the Thrawn Trilogy is among the most overrated writing in the Star Wars universe and would make for a pretty boring set of movies.

What? A guy with blue skin who could destroy our planet by looking at the Mona Lisa and subdues a race by using one ship to fire on a planet doesn't make for a good movie?

What if the there was a scene where he was studying an Ukio statue and there was a lot of lense flare around the statue?

ColoradoDarin
01-25-2013, 11:15 AM

The original trilogy didn't have a ton of lightsaber battles either, while the new trilogy did, so you'll forgive me if I don't think the number of lightsaber fights correlates well to whether the movies will be good or not.

I will say this, I love the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'd rather not see it made into a movie for other reasons.

bronco militia
01-25-2013, 11:21 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/use-the-force.jpg

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 11:37 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/use-the-force.jpg

:thumbs:

bronco_diesel
01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
What? A guy with blue skin who could destroy our planet by looking at the Mona Lisa and subdues a race by using one ship to fire on a planet doesn't make for a good movie?

What if the there was a scene where he was studying an Ukio statue and there was a lot of lense flare around the statue?

I knew you were a geek...but I had no idea how bad.

bronco_diesel
01-25-2013, 11:48 AM
I am encouraged JJ is doing this. I've said many times to friends I would like to see a Star Wars done by JJ Abrams.

bronco militia
01-25-2013, 11:50 AM
for kalore ;D

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/khan-vader-650x279.jpg

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
That would be so awesome. Imagine Khan as a Sith Lord.

Beantown Bronco
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
That would be so awesome. Imagine Khan as a Sith Lord.

Almost as cool as Dwight.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I5DcufmGelM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lestat
01-25-2013, 07:34 PM
this definitely has the potential to be an awesome start to the new franchise.
hopefully he makes a dark and kick ass movie.

Pick Six
01-25-2013, 09:09 PM
this definitely has the potential to be an awesome start to the new franchise.
hopefully he makes a dark and kick ass movie.

Fat chance. It's Disney, and they want the franchise to be kid-friendly...

Archer81
01-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Nerds...

:Broncos:

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I want Yuan Woo Ping to direct the action like this!!!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_MbsHGABzw4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZONA
01-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Hans catching a feel

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4654963712/h6F7D8266/

That One Guy
01-26-2013, 06:46 AM
Not sure if serious.

Totally serious. I was just browsing threads around the Mane and was hesitant to come in for risk of spoilers. I didn't even know his arm gets cut off. Most of the themes in Star Wars are referenced somewhere else (or reenacted on Family Guy) so I didn't expect there to be any spoilers left and thought I'd be ok.

UberBroncoMan
01-26-2013, 07:06 AM
Totally serious. I was just browsing threads around the Mane and was hesitant to come in for risk of spoilers. I didn't even know his arm gets cut off. Most of the themes in Star Wars are referenced somewhere else (or reenacted on Family Guy) so I didn't expect there to be any spoilers left and thought I'd be ok.

Holy...... how is possible don't even...

That One Guy
01-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Holy...... how is possible don't even...

LOL

I'll just say I always wanted to wait and watch all 6 at once.

cutthemdown
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
The last Star Trek by Abrahams is a little over rated. I am a huge trek fan and liked the movie but it had some problems. The biggest was Kirk getting stranded on the planet Spock happened to be on? Sort of a reach. Then also the big creatures on that planet didn't make any sense. For animals that big and fast they would need tons of food and an ice planet wouldnot seem to provide that. Still a good movie though.

But only the 3rd best in the franchise. He will probably make a decent star wars but its not like he doesn't have the potential for stupid creatures just like Lucas.

cutthemdown
01-26-2013, 08:28 AM
The new Star Wars will want lots of action figures to sell so don't look for it to be super dark.

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2013, 11:09 AM
The new Star Wars will want lots of action figures to sell so don't look for it to be super dark.

SW: The Clone Wars animated TV series that is in theory geared towards kids is EXTREMELY dark.

Beantown Bronco
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
LOL

I'll just say I always wanted to wait and watch all 6 at once.

You're still about 10 years late on that one. You can't really expect spoiler alerts for movies that are older than half the posters here.

TheReverend
01-26-2013, 01:03 PM
You're still about 10 years late on that one. You can't really expect spoiler alerts for movies that are older than half the posters here.

:/

A New Hope predates me a little and I'm no spring chicken anymore.

ColoradoDarin
01-26-2013, 01:19 PM
A New Hope is my first memory at about 3 1/2 years old. My grandparents took me and my brother to see it in a theater in Brea, CA. My brother fell asleep and we went back a couple of days later to see it again (and we saw it a couple more times after that)

Archer81
01-26-2013, 07:12 PM
My parents took me to see Return of the Jedi right before I turned 2 years old. All I remember is the warp effect and trying to grab at it. Saw the newer ones and realized Lucas is a horrible dialogue writer.

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 07:41 PM
My parents took me to see Return of the Jedi right before I turned 2 years old. All I remember is the warp effect and trying to grab at it. Saw the newer ones and realized Lucas is a horrible dialogue writer.

He was going for a certain style - think "old Hollywood". He was originally going to make them silent films. No joke. He is going for a universal appeal.

When you consider how popular they are I think he accomplished his mission. Even if the fans became too sophisticated for the original films.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2013, 08:54 PM
A New Hope is my first memory at about 3 1/2 years old. My grandparents took me and my brother to see it in a theater in Brea, CA. My brother fell asleep and we went back a couple of days later to see it again (and we saw it a couple more times after that)

Not sure what year New Hope came out (sorry not the SW nerd) but I remember 1977 when the "first" one came out and my Dad took the family to the drive in. I remember Luke and Leia being shot at on the platform and then I think I feel asleep. Since they didn't pop out movies on BETA or VHS within months of the last showing, I had to wait years to see the film. I do remember Revenge of the Jedi and my Mom took about 7 kids to the mall. Very hyped series and well worth every moment. Last 3? Only the 3rd one was worth a damn to see in repeat.

Archer81
01-26-2013, 08:56 PM
He was going for a certain style - think "old Hollywood". He was originally going to make them silent films. No joke. He is going for a universal appeal.

When you consider how popular they are I think he accomplished his mission. Even if the fans became too sophisticated for the original films.

No. He just writes crappy dialogue. I believe the popularity of the newer trio was due to the nestalgia factor of the originals. Which also had horrible dialogue.

That One Guy
01-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Well, we made it through The Empire Strikes Back today. Luke loses his arm but gets a new one so that's why I'd never heard about it. The kid cried at the end because he thinks Luke is going to have to kill his dad. I assured him there's a possibility that Darth Vader could become one of the good guys.

broncocalijohn
01-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Well, we made it through The Empire Strikes Back today. Luke loses his arm but gets a new one so that's why I'd never heard about it. The kid cried at the end because he thinks Luke is going to have to kill his dad. I assured him there's a possibility that Darth Vader could become one of the good guys.

Oh ****. Get your kid ready to prepare his anus. Too violent of a movie for your young one. You probably rented Ghostbusters for your kid to watch too?

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 09:24 PM
No. He just writes crappy dialogue. I believe the popularity of the newer trio was due to the nestalgia factor of the originals. Which also had horrible dialogue.

Let's see someone else write a Star Wars then see how "crappy" George's dialogue is... haha

His stuff is Shakespeare compared to Star Trek movies and TV shows..

Archer81
01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Let's see someone else write a Star Wars then see how "crappy" George's dialogue is... haha

Its clear you have a fetish for not only being wrong, but being spectacularly wrong. I am not comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. Lucas is a horrid writer of how people speak to one another. An example of decent dialogue would be something like Princess Bride, which in comparison to the 6 star wars film IS Shakespear. Good dialogue would be pulp fiction or resovoir dogs, which is damn near the Illiad in comparison to Star Wars.

Houshyamama
01-26-2013, 10:28 PM

I tried to read your comment but this sand keeps getting in my eyes. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
Its clear you have a fetish for not only being wrong, but being spectacularly wrong. I am not comparing Star Wars and Star Trek. Lucas is a horrid writer of how people speak to one another. An example of decent dialogue would be something like Princess Bride, which in comparison to the 6 star wars film IS Shakespear. Good dialogue would be pulp fiction or resovoir dogs, which is damn near the Illiad in comparison to Star Wars.

Once again you confuse DIFFERENT with bad.... and once again someone else brings up the one to not be named and I will be blamed for it...

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I tried to read your comment but this sand keeps getting in my eyes. I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

At least you remembered that line... try remembering anything from a Star Trek movie. Old or new...

Houshyamama
01-26-2013, 10:50 PM
At least you remembered that line... try remembering anything from a Star Trek movie. Old or new...

I have been and always shall be your friend.

Archer81
01-26-2013, 10:56 PM

Can I cook or can't I?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

How do we know he didnt invent the bloody thing?

"You cheated." "No, I changed the conditions of the test."

As my customary farewell would seem oddly self serving, let me simply say Good Luck.

Archer81
01-26-2013, 10:57 PM
Once again you confuse DIFFERENT with bad.... and once again someone else brings up the one to not be named and I will be blamed for it...

Oh, thank God I have you to tell me the difference between horrible and DIFFERENT.

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Oh, thank God I have you to tell me the difference between horrible and DIFFERENT.

Is comic book dialogue bad? Say Stan Lee's stuff from the 60s?

MacGruder
01-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Can I cook or can't I?

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

How do we know he didnt invent the bloody thing?

"You cheated." "No, I changed the conditions of the test."

As my customary farewell would seem oddly self serving, let me simply say Good Luck.

Yes... people all over the world remember those doozies.. lol

And Khaaannn is a line? Not only is it not a line it's remembered mockingly...

Bob's your Information Minister
01-26-2013, 11:59 PM
stoked

Houshyamama
01-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Yes... people all over the world remember those doozies.. lol

And Khaaannn is a line? Not only is it not a line it's remembered mockingly...

You're right, it's really more of a circle. My guess is the illuminate. Pyramids.

Drunk Monkey
01-27-2013, 07:41 AM
The original trilogy didn't have a ton of lightsaber battles either, while the new trilogy did, so you'll forgive me if I don't think the number of lightsaber fights correlates well to whether the movies will be good or not.

I will say this, I love the Thrawn Trilogy, but I'd rather not see it made into a movie for other reasons.

Thank you OMane. I had never heard of the Thrawn Trilogy but it is now on the list.

TheReverend
01-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Thank you OMane. I had never heard of the Thrawn Trilogy but it is now on the list.

Same. It's going on the list now.

2KBack
01-27-2013, 09:25 AM
I have been and always shall be your friend.

There be Whales here!

ColoradoDarin
01-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Not sure what year New Hope came out (sorry not the SW nerd) but I remember 1977 when the "first" one came out and my Dad took the family to the drive in. I remember Luke and Leia being shot at on the platform and then I think I feel asleep. Since they didn't pop out movies on BETA or VHS within months of the last showing, I had to wait years to see the film. I do remember Revenge of the Jedi and my Mom took about 7 kids to the mall. Very hyped series and well worth every moment. Last 3? Only the 3rd one was worth a damn to see in repeat.

A New Hope is the "first" one, though it didn't have ANH as the title originally.

ColoradoDarin
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
There be Whales here!

Well, double dumbass on you!

fontaine
01-27-2013, 09:56 AM
The last Star Trek by Abrahams is a little over rated. I am a huge trek fan and liked the movie but it had some problems. The biggest was Kirk getting stranded on the planet Spock happened to be on? Sort of a reach. Then also the big creatures on that planet didn't make any sense. For animals that big and fast they would need tons of food and an ice planet wouldnot seem to provide that. Still a good movie though.

Some of biggest carnivores: The polar bear is found in the arctic circle and is plenty fast. The blue whale spends long periods in the antarctic and other carnivores like the 5-6 ton, 14 feet long walruses etc.

The force is not with you.
:)

That One Guy
01-27-2013, 10:00 AM
Some of biggest carnivores: The polar bear is found in the arctic circle and is plenty fast. The blue whale spends long periods in the antarctic and other carnivores like the 5-6 ton, 14 feet long walruses etc.

Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned. They eat a ton and conserve energy very well.

Heyneck
01-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned. They eat a ton and conserve energy very well.

Actually he is right about the Polar bear, or most bears for that mater. You will not be able to out run a polar bear that's for sure.

Beantown Bronco
01-27-2013, 10:16 AM
I love how we're arguing about what kind of animals should logically be living on an alien ice planet.

That One Guy
01-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Actually he is right about the Polar bear, or most bears for that mater. You will not be able to out run a polar bear that's for sure.

But if they made it a habit to run often, they wouldn't be able to exist. I don't doubt they can move for catching some prey but they're not running around just for ****s and grins, either. 90% of their lives are gonna be focused around the conservation of energy.

bronco militia
01-27-2013, 10:43 AM
http://cdn.onelargeprawn.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/spock.jpg

Fedaykin
01-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Abrams butchered Star Trek into a generic action movie mess quite well.

How will he butcher Star Wars?

Archer81
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Ice planet thing. It's possible the planet was experiencing an ice age. Some of the earths largest animals existed and evolved to survive during an Iceage. Just saying.

broncosteven
01-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Luke is actually a woman.

Spoiler alert, due to Time travel conundrums Luke is his own father.

He can do what ever he wants with Star Wars, I would have rather had Wedon doing the ST reboot. He would have had some reverance for it and done it right, not this Baby Looney Tunes crap we are stuck with now.

Plus JJ totally made the Enterprise the ugliest ship ever. That STTOS ship was beautiful and the STTMP/STII one was perfection. Now we have this ugly wedge shaped (kinda like an Empire battleship) thing that ends up under water.

Bronco Yoda
01-27-2013, 12:17 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/33833540.jpg

ColoradoDarin
01-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Abrams butchered Star Trek into a generic action movie mess quite well.

How will he butcher Star Wars?

Did you see TPM, AotC or RotS? I highly doubt JJ can do worse than those.

fontaine
01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Nobody is going to use the word fast to describe any of the animals you mentioned.

80 kg Arctic wolf + Lens flare.

Plenty fast. :)

Fedaykin
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM

Just wait till Han Solo is recast with Aston Kutcher and becomes a hardlined, jackbooted thug doing Luke Skywalker's dirty work getting everyone in line with the New Republic.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Spoiler alert, due to Time travel conundrums Luke is his own father.

He can do what ever he wants with Star Wars, I would have rather had Wedon doing the ST reboot. He would have had some reverance for it and done it right, not this Baby Looney Tunes crap we are stuck with now.

Plus JJ totally made the Enterprise the ugliest ship ever. That STTOS ship was beautiful and the STTMP/STII one was perfection. Now we have this ugly wedge shaped (kinda like an Empire battleship) thing that ends up under water.
Was it just kept did he make the burssard collectors look like a pair of t!ts? I also didn't like how the ship to shop combat sequences went either. The was no suspense, no need for a cloaking device if all you're going to do is throw up a bunch of flak. BTW, for all the blogs out there, yes Kirk was the youngest captain in star fleet history...at 35!!! Not 25.

broncosteven
01-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Rewatch STTMP The Directors Cut. It is a much better, well paced movie, just about everything, except for Shatners acting, is much better and makes sense.

I was disappointed with TMP when it came out because I wanted it to be better than Star Wars, it wasn't better than a TOS episode but now after seeing the Director's cut that was made back in 2002ish I think it is in my top 3 ST movies.

Pontius Pirate
01-27-2013, 05:02 PM
My ideal Episode VII story arc (a lot of this already comes from the canon versions):

Movie picks up after the Battle of Endor. Rogue Squadron is off picking apart the last of the Empire at Coruscant. The opening, however, follows Luke who goes back to Tattoine, attempting to resume a normal life. He's swarmed by people wanting help or simply wanting to bask in his fame. He becomes more reclusive, essentially living the life that Obi Wan lived late in his life. His power is scary off the charts and he's fearful of what he's now capable of.

Han & Leia are not active in the New Republic. They have twins: Jaina & Jacen. The Rebels transform into The New Republic and it flourishes and essentially assumes the role the Empire had. Roles are reversed: the Empire, a scattered ragtag group of ships & badasses, are the ones on the run and the New Republic becomes an immense power. The heroes from Return of the Jedi (Lando, Chewie, 3PO, Leia, Solo) all go their separate ways - disenchanted with the New Republic's grand ambitions. Mon Mothma and Ackbar are the New Republic leadership

The wookie homeplanet is under attack by some unknown force. Han & Leia go to aid Chewie, travelling with their children on the Falcon. The unknown force is Thrawn and the remnants of the Empire. Thrawn was attacking Kashyyk simply as a trap to lure Han, Leia, and their children. When he sees the Falcon approach and Han & Leia step off, he talks into a microphone and says "they're here" and then curses when he doesn't see Luke. The person he's talking to, Joruus, swoops in and kils the Falcon guardian, kidnapping Jaina and Jacen. Joruus is revealed to be an insane dark Jedi. Han and Leia, devastated, travel to Tatooine to try and find Luke. Thrawn is revealed as the military genius of the Empire - a protoge & friend to Palpatine.

When word gets out of what happened, the heroes from Return of the Jedi, come to Han and Leia's aide: Lando, C3PO, and Wedge + the Rogue Squadron. They in essence ignore orders from Ackbar in order to help their friends. They pursue Joruus.

Rogue Squadron uncovers what's going on. In their pursuit of Joruus, they skirmish with some mercenary ships. After the battle, Wedge realizes that Thrawn has assumed power of the Empire after Palpatine's death. Thrawn set the trap for Han & Leia as part of a deal with Joruus - Joruss agreed to bring Palpatine back to life if Thrawn captured Luke, Jaina, and Jacen - the last of the Jedi. Joruus plans on turning each of them to the dark side.

Han & Leia find Luke in the mountain caves of Tatooine. Leia tearfully pleads for Luke's help, who is reluctant to fight again, fearful of what his power might do. In a nightmare, Luke sees Jacen turned to the dark side by Joruus. Luke wakes & tells Han/Leia he'll find them. Luke shows them an underground chamber where his Tie Fighter is under tarps. He gets his flight suit on and takes off. Luke later rescues R2D2 aboard a mercenary barge.

On Tattoine, Solo visits the Mos Eisley bar. Boba Fett is there. They have a stand-off in the bar and then offer a steady truce. Boba Fett reveals what happened: he blasted his way out of the Sarlacc pit. He was betrayed by his employer (the Empire) so he spent the next couple years tracking down his betrayers and killing them. There is only one betrayer left: Thrawn. Solo invites Fett to join him as they both went after Thrawn. Fett agrees.

Luke finds Joruus on Jomark and they duke it out. Joruus is angered & excited at how much more powerful Luke is than he. Joruus is older & wiser, but Luke is stronger. Joruus is like a wicked Obi Wan. Joruus plays with his mind. He reveals Jaina and Jacen. Jacen is under Joruus control and comes to Joruus' aid. Jaina resists and pleads with her brother. Joruus escapes with Jacen and Luke's vision is clouded - he's unable to detect where they went.

The movie climaxes with Wedge, Leia, Chewie, 3PO, and Lando all leading a small force attacking Thrawn at the Battle of Bilbringi. What Thrawn didn't realize was that Wedge was basically now a badass and Rogue Squadron were the baddest little squadron in the galaxy. With Thrawn in deep ****, he's betrayed by one of his own (Rukh).

Luke brings Han & Leia Jaina and tells them he couldn't save Jacen, but that he's still alive. Leia is distraught, but Solo is pissed - he commits that Joruus is gonna pay. He asks him if Luke will help him and Luke agrees, but that they'll need help. The movie ends with Luke training a bunch of young Jedi, including Jaina.

End credits.

Tombstone RJ
01-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Rewatch STTMP The Directors Cut. It is a much better, well paced movie, just about everything, except for Shatners acting, is much better and makes sense.

I was disappointed with TMP when it came out because I wanted it to be better than Star Wars, it wasn't better than a TOS episode but now after seeing the Director's cut that was made back in 2002ish I think it is in my top 3 ST movies.

Is this Star Trek The Motion Picture (STTMP)? I didn't know there's a director's cut. The thing about the first Star Trek movie is it was true to the original format of the TV series. The movie was slow and prodding but damn, if anyone knows the TV series that pretty much is right on. Plus, you got a hot robot babe uttering "Kirk Unit" so that's pretty cool too lol.

broncosteven
01-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Is this Star Trek The Motion Picture (STTMP)? I didn't know there's a director's cut. The thing about the first Star Trek movie is it was true to the original format of the TV series. The movie was slow and prodding but damn, if anyone knows the TV series that pretty much is right on. Plus, you got a hot robot babe uttering "Kirk Unit" so that's pretty cool too lol.

Yep,

Check it out, it has to be the Directors Cut. My friend from HS worked on it with Wise. It was more what he wanted and they used some newer CGI to clean some stuff up and add things that Spock was looking at in the movie they couldn't afford to do at the time.

The pacing is better, like I said above, and the V'ger ship actually has form and scope. You couldn't tell before how big it was, in the original movie it just looked like a big hurricane.

broncocalijohn
01-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Just got a little closer to BroncoSteven on being a space nerd by reading this thread.

cutthemdown
01-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Yeah but that thing was way bigger then a bear lol. I can deal with it though its science fiction lol. But the coincidence of kirk just being on that planet after being marooned seemed like an easy way out of a writing problem to me. How to get furure spock and present kirk together. Just felt it was a little weak.

I'm pretty tough on movies though. If that was my biggest problem that is still a good movie. I watched it 3 times so I liked it. I just thought Wrath of Khan still a star or 2 better.

looking forward to the new Star Wars young jedi. May the force be with you.

broncosteven
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Yeah but that thing was way bigger then a bear lol. I can deal with it though its science fiction lol. But the coincidence of kirk just being on that planet after being marooned seemed like an easy way out of a writing problem to me. How to get furure spock and present kirk together. Just felt it was a little weak.

I'm pretty tough on movies though. If that was my biggest problem that is still a good movie. I watched it 3 times so I liked it. I just thought Wrath of Khan still a star or 2 better.

Ok since you brought up Wrath of Kahn here is another reason I hate the reboot.

In STII the writing had a human element. It started off with Kirk struggling with aging and not being the man he was, he felt lost and alone getting spec's for his failing eye sight. All relateable things to the audience.

In the reboot Kirk is a punk who steals a Corvette (really a corvette 200 years from now) and then drives it off a cliff, in Iowa (I think I only saw the abortion once).

In STII Spock being a good friend try's to cheer Kirk up with a (assuming) a 1st edition of a Tale of Two Cities, that has a a couple dual meanings for both the 1st and last sentences of the book. This device leads to lots of foreshadowing and setting of future tension and resolutions, including the epic pay off during Spock's death.

In the Reboot, Spock drops the Vulcan **** because it is hard and taps Urhura's ass all over the ship. There is no undercurrent of why these guys bond and become such great friends other than a shared experience. Plus wasn't both Scotty and McCoy like 5-10 years older than Kirk why are they all in the Academy together? There is no use of literature, in a lot of the movies and TOS they reference Shakespeare and other great writers, in the reboot we get Lensflares, oh but a car goes over a cliff and Spock is tapping Uhrura's azz BOY-EEE!

At the end of STII Kirk learns that despite losing his best friend he is at peace and realizes that his physical age should not reflect his actions, hence the "I feel Young" quote.

In the Reboot, after acting like a selfish punk asshole all movie Kirk is rewarded by being given the command of the Star Fleet flagship at what the age of 20? We all know what happened to the Broncos when a young guy who wasn't mature enough or ready to run a franchise became our HC. This is what sits in my craw the most. Leadership is earned not given based on one thing or potential. It is earned over a course of a career. Giving a punk kid a command after disobeying orders for the entire incident is a sure fire way to undermine discipline throughout the ranks. To me this whole movie was like watching those cartoons where the main charaters are all babys like Baby Looney Tunes. Maybe if I grew up watching a Pup Named Scooby Doo I would get it but I don't.

There is depth and emotion in STII with drama based on the human condition incorporating the greatest literature ever written which makes it an iconic classic that people still consider the best ST movie ever made. We all have to struggle through human issues like aging and mortality.

The reboot is just fun and stuff, explosions, chases, making out in turbo lifts, ...lensflares...etc...It says nothing about the human condition other than if your half human and you want to get your groove on, get it on with the hot chick at the cube/station next to you.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-28-2013, 04:33 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_nziS8brN00?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fontaine
01-28-2013, 04:43 PM

My biggest problem with the movie was being conflicted about being turned on by a luminious green chick in the beginning of the movie. Would I or wouldn't I?

After that, giant lightning quick carnivores in an ice planet were an afterthought.

Play2win
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM

In STII the writing had a human element...

I think the reboot say a lot about the human element.

How brash we were, when we were young.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

In STII the writing had a human element. It started off with Kirk struggling with aging and not being the man he was, he felt lost and alone getting spec's for his failing eye sight. All relateable things to the audience.

In the reboot Kirk is a punk who steals a Corvette (really a corvette 200 years from now) and then drives it off a cliff, in Iowa (I think I only saw the abortion once).

In STII Spock being a good friend try's to cheer Kirk up with a (assuming) a 1st edition of a Tale of Two Cities, that has a a couple dual meanings for both the 1st and last sentences of the book. This device leads to lots of foreshadowing and setting of future tension and resolutions, including the epic pay off during Spock's death.

In the Reboot, Spock drops the Vulcan **** because it is hard and taps Urhura's ass all over the ship. There is no undercurrent of why these guys bond and become such great friends other than a shared experience. Plus wasn't both Scotty and McCoy like 5-10 years older than Kirk why are they all in the Academy together? There is no use of literature, in a lot of the movies and TOS they reference Shakespeare and other great writers, in the reboot we get Lensflares, oh but a car goes over a cliff and Spock is tapping Uhrura's azz BOY-EEE!

At the end of STII Kirk learns that despite losing his best friend he is at peace and realizes that his physical age should not reflect his actions, hence the "I feel Young" quote.

In the Reboot, after acting like a selfish punk a-hole all movie Kirk is rewarded by being given the command of the Star Fleet flagship at what the age of 20? We all know what happened to the Broncos when a young guy who wasn't mature enough or ready to run a franchise became our HC. This is what sits in my craw the most. Leadership is earned not given based on one thing or potential. It is earned over a course of a career. Giving a punk kid a command after disobeying orders for the entire incident is a sure fire way to undermine discipline throughout the ranks. To me this whole movie was like watching those cartoons where the main charaters are all babys like Baby Looney Tunes. Maybe if I grew up watching a Pup Named Scooby Doo I would get it but I don't.

There is depth and emotion in STII with drama based on the human condition incorporating the greatest literature ever written which makes it an iconic classic that people still consider the best ST movie ever made. We all have to struggle through human issues like aging and mortality.

The reboot is just fun and stuff, explosions, chases, making out in turbo lifts, ...lensflares...etc...It says nothing about the human condition other than if your half human and you want to get your groove on, get it on with the hot chick at the cube/station next to you.

This, in a nutshell.

They took Star Trek and ripped the soul right out if it and made it pure action cinema.

It was still a good movie but...it wasn't Star Trek.

broncosteven
01-28-2013, 08:23 PM
This, in a nutshell.

They took Star Trek and ripped the soul right out if it and made it pure action cinema.

It was still a good movie but...it wasn't Star Trek.

I saw the reboot with my wife in the theater, she loved it, thought it was great and didn't see what I didn't like about it.

Meanwhile I was horrified and embarrassed to be seen in the theater, kinda like I wandered into some porno theater.

I invested some 35 or more years into those characters, JJ comes along and says TOS was lame, I will make it cool and start over from when they were teen's. I felt like I just got a Cleveland steamer.

No character development totally threw out the element that has been present in all Trek which was characters who were not human struggling to be more human or understand the human condition.

They should have just named Kirk Rockford, given him a fast car (which I guess they did) instead of a space ship and have him drive around with his dad solving cases for hire and adding a couple lensflares. It would have been more entertaining as a Rockford Files remake.

Beantown Bronco
01-28-2013, 08:36 PM
This device leads to lots of foreshadowing and setting of future tension and resolutions, including the epic pay off during Spock's death.

WTF?!? How about a spoiler alert?!?

I've been waiting to watch all the Trek movies until after the next one comes out.

broncosteven
01-28-2013, 10:02 PM
WTF?!? How about a spoiler alert?!?

I've been waiting to watch all the Trek movies until after the next one comes out.

That **** aint nothing! Wait until you see what happens when you get around to watching Tootsie!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-28-2013, 10:20 PM
That **** aint nothing! Wait until you see what happens when you get around to watching Tootsie!

How about Victor/Victoria. LOL

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-28-2013, 10:23 PM

In the Reboot, after acting like a selfish punk a-hole all movie Kirk is rewarded by being given the command of the Star Fleet flagship at what the age of 20? We all know what happened to the Broncos when a young guy who wasn't mature enough or ready to run a franchise became our HC. This is what sits in my craw the most. Leadership is earned not given based on one thing or potential. It is earned over a course of a career. Giving a punk kid a command after disobeying orders for the entire incident is a sure fire way to undermine discipline throughout the ranks. To me this whole movie was like watching those cartoons where the main charaters are all babys like Baby Looney Tunes. Maybe if I grew up watching a Pup Named Scooby Doo I would get it but I don't.

^This!!!

TerrElway
01-29-2013, 11:22 AM
It's a continued reflection of the dumbing down of our society where it's cool to be stupid and blame someone else for it. But don't worry about your future because those bitches in the gubmint gonna take care me cuz I was born and deserve everything.

And if they don't give it to me, I'll be a gangsta wannabe and take it. Because once again, I was born and because I grace this earth with my presence, I deserve everything I want with a minimum of effort.

Spend any amount of time with most teens today and you will weep for the future.

Of course I'm sure this is what my parents and grandparents all said as well.

DenverDynamite
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Star Trek 2009 had the same writing team as Transformers 2007. I'm hoping since the writer for Star Wars 7 is the same guy who wrote 'Little Miss Sunshine' and Toy Story 3 we can expect a much better film.

BroncoInferno
01-30-2013, 02:16 PM

Hopefully, now that Lucas no longer controls the rights, the original versions of Episodes IV-VI will be re-released on DVD and Blu-ray. I haven't upgraded from VHS because I refuse to buy Lucas's bastardized CGI versions.

DenverDynamite
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Hopefully, now that Lucas no longer controls the rights, the original versions of Episodes IV-VI will be re-released on DVD and Blu-ray. I haven't upgraded from VHS because I refuse to buy Lucas's bastardized CGI versions.

I might be wrong, but from what I understand the original transfers are trashed. That's why when they re-released the 'originals' a few years back on DVD they were taken from the old laserdiscs.

ColoradoDarin
01-30-2013, 02:27 PM

A couple of years ago, they actually had the 3 originals as throw in extra DVDs on a set, I bought that right up, I think I got it for $30. New is going for over $200 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B001EN71DG) (WS Theatrical Release, the Bluray doesn't have the originals, even though they're lumped together here), used is almost $80. These are the true original movies - Han shoots first, they don't even have "A New Hope" on Ep IV's crawl.

I don't understand why they didn't just put these out if people wanted to buy them. Or include them as Special DVD extras (with the added up charge), but I'm thinking the Mouse might.

Pontius Pirate
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM

People need to keep in mind that the treatment for episode VII is being written by none other than George JarJar Lucas.

I hope JJ Abrams edits it heavily.

Agamemnon
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Star Trek 2009 had the same writing team as Transformers 2007. I'm hoping since the writer for Star Wars 7 is the same guy who wrote 'Little Miss Sunshine' and Toy Story 3 we can expect a much better film.

That would explain why that movie did permanent damage to the logic centers in my brain. Red liquid that creates black holes inside planets? WTF?

bowtown
01-30-2013, 09:50 PM
The Nerd is strong in this thread, it is.

Requiem
01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Nerd losers!

enjolras
01-31-2013, 12:38 AM
People need to keep in mind that the treatment for episode VII is being written by none other than George JarJar Lucas.

I hope JJ Abrams edits it heavily.

Just treatments, not script. It's a starting point... otherwise he's going to be around as a "consultant".

Taco John
01-31-2013, 01:33 AM

To play off of this comment, in my opinion, the best Star Trek was Deep Space Nine. That show was about the "human condition" as well as all the rest of them. I loved that show because in the end it was a show about each race doing what they could to advance their own causes - and within the struggle, there were pieces of each of them that didn't quite fit into the racial ambitions due to the way they mixed with the other races - and in their individual quests to advance themselves, some truly special things happened.

That show was one of the most ambitious pieces of television ever created. It's a shame how underappreciated it is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4XVNOv8gQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taco John
01-31-2013, 01:43 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KvEY-zakldA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taco John
01-31-2013, 01:46 AM
By the way, Amazon Prime offers all DS9 episodes for "free" (you have to be a member)...

fontaine
01-31-2013, 02:58 AM
That show was one of the most ambitious pieces of television ever created. It's a shame how underappreciated it is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K4XVNOv8gQA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Except the acting (apart from a few) absolutely sucked, there were far too many predictable, routine episode story lines, and entire shows dedicated to uninteresting, minor characters.

ColoradoDarin
01-31-2013, 08:41 AM
By the way, Amazon Prime offers all DS9 episodes for "free" (you have to be a member)...

Hmmm. I might have to watch it, Amazon Prime is awesome. Watched a few movies on it plus the entire new Battlestar Galactica and am going through the first 4 seasons of Sons of Anarchy. Prime is entirely the reason I don't miss cable/satellite. That and 2-day shipping where we live makes it quite a bargain.

Johnykbr
01-31-2013, 09:18 AM
To play off of this comment, in my opinion, the best Star Trek was Deep Space Nine. That show was about the "human condition" as well as all the rest of them. I loved that show because in the end it was a show about each race doing what they could to advance their own causes - and within the struggle, there were pieces of each of them that didn't quite fit into the racial ambitions due to the way they mixed with the other races - and in their individual quests to advance themselves, some truly special things happened.

This. The first few seasons were pretty atrocious but after that they became very in depth and much more dark than the other series. It was a fantastic show. I couldn't get enough once the Dominion showed up.

Heyneck
01-31-2013, 10:08 AM
The Star Wars universe and mythos rule! Star Trek sucks!!! Though I must say I enjoyed the TV series more than the movies, but the last one was pretty good.