PDA

View Full Version : How many years before Fox gets fired?

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:19 PM
We all know it's just a question of when, not if.

Fox will ride Mannings coat tails for another year, then have a crapass season in 2015 after Manning retires. Then we will rebuild for two years, followed by another crapass 2-14 season like he had in Carolina. That's when Elway will give him the boot.

So I say 5 more years of Fox before we're through with the most conservative head coach in NFL history. But I could be wrong...

lonestar
01-23-2013, 11:24 PM
Now reeves was conservative way more than fox is. IMO. Hell he was stupid enough to try and trade Elway and draft tommy Maddox to replace him.

He loved that run run and then ask John to,save his butt on third down.

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:28 PM
I agree that Reeves was mega conservative. But his was a different era. He coached alongside "Ground" Chuck Knox, for example.

Fox is a tired, old school throwback with the mentality of someone from 1943. The game has passed him by and his pussy tactics will doom the Broncos to One And Done status forever.

lonestar
01-23-2013, 11:30 PM
I agree that Reeves was mega conservative. But his was a different era. He coached alongside "Ground" Chuck Knox, for example.

Fox is a tired, old school throwback with the mentality of someone from 1943. The game has passed him by and his p***Y tactics will doom the Broncos to One And Done status forever.

Hey I got an idea send your resumel to John and Pat with your ideas. Let us know about the response. Ok?

They seem to be fine with him as a HC.

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey I got an idea send your resumel to John and Pat with your ideas. Let us know about the response. Ok?

They seem to be fine with him as a HC.

Look, even Shannyham got the heave ho eventually. If there is a truism in football, it's this: all coaches hang on too long, and most are fired well before they ride off into the sunset.

Trust me, Fox will be fired. The question is: WHEN?

Archer81
01-23-2013, 11:44 PM
...Oh Jesus Christ...

:Broncos:

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:50 PM
...Oh Jesus Christ...

So apparently you think that Fox will never be fired? Seriously? He's our coach for life?

Archer81
01-23-2013, 11:54 PM
So apparently you think that Fox will never be fired? Seriously? He's our coach for life?

Indeed. Clearly my three word post implied that.

Ratboy
01-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Stupid to speculate coming off such an amazing season, but i'll bite a little.

John Fox is going into year 3 of his 4 year contract. These next 2 years, possibly 1 will set up how long he will be here for. So many potential scenarios and outcomes...

If we get to a Super Bowl in the next 2 years, his contract will be renewed IF he wants it renewed. If not, I think it comes down on if John Elway think he has what it takes.

My take: Minimum 2 years.

Armchair Bronco
01-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Indeed. Clearly my three word post implied that.

Well, I read between the lines...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgvu0bPH0a1qeo0py.gif

extralife
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Well, I read between the lines...

I seriously doubt you're capable of reading much of anything

Archer81
01-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Fox gets a minimum of 5 years total. If by the end of the Manning run we do not have at least a SB appearance, he'd be on his way out. But thus far he has 21 wins as Broncos HC and 2 AFC West crowns. Not too shabby.

MagicHef
01-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Year zero (pre-Fox): 4 wins
Year one: 8 wins
Year two: 13 wins

I'm sure he'll be gone real soon.

Taco John
01-24-2013, 12:16 AM
I think John Fox will be given the next two seasons. If we have won a Superbowl, he will be extended (hell, he might even retire). If not, he wont.

MacGruder
01-24-2013, 01:26 AM

Fox is a tired, old school throwback with the mentality of someone from 1943. The game has passed him by and his p***Y tactics will doom the Broncos to One And Done status forever.

If he had the mentality of the guys from 1943 I think his problems would be solved... it's the football from that era that is coming back in style now because of the athletic parity. Fox is stuck in the 70s and 80s along with Elway.

lonestar
01-24-2013, 01:40 AM
I seriously doubt you're capable of reading much of anything

Kind of my thoughts on this.

Who the **** cares at this point.

Does he have a resume to submit and he wants to do it at the right time?

It does not matter. What we think.

Armchair Bronco
01-24-2013, 01:50 AM
If he had the mentality of the guys from 1943 I think his problems would be solved... it's the football from that era that is coming back in style now because of the athletic parity. Fox is stuck in the 70s and 80s along with Elway.

My bad. What was I thinking comparing Fox to the greatest generation?

You're right...his style is more Carteresque than anything. Slow, plodding, predictable, and utterly without any testosterone. John Fox is the 21st century version of Jimmy Carter!

go_broncos
01-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Fox is one of the reasons we lost the game..It should never come to Moore or Manning Interception..When Ravens fumbled the ball, what did we do??..Kept running the ball.
Once we have 7 or 10 point lead, he starts to become conservative.
It's in his blood.It doesn't matter who the QB is.
It's really a tough situation for Elway.
Fox is a coach that brings stability to the organization(similar to what marty did to SD few years back)..But, to win in playoffs/SB..he should stop being scared.

Next year..if we are one and done in playoffs,then Elway will fire Fox.

cmhargrove
01-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Some real sour grapes and spoiled fans around here. But, I guess the nice thing is how quickly Elway has raised our collective expectations.

We go six years with no playoffs, then get to the divisional round twice and now our coach deserves to be fired - sheesh, tough crowd.

Every one and their dog agrees it will be a three year rebuilding project from the second worst team in football to the goal of a superbowl and we are kicking along right on schedule. Lost a D-coordinator, lost an O-coordinator, and we keep replacing lost coaches and getting better each year. I say that is a testament to the head coach, but what do I know?

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 06:57 AM
Strong username to thread content relationship

bronco militia
01-24-2013, 07:46 AM
if the Broncos don't win it all this year I think Fox will be gone.

Play2win
01-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Fox is the new Reeves. John knows this. This time, Elway appreciates Reeves a lot more. That said, we might win the big one with fox, but to truly dominate, we need a new coach. Fox has always been to get us to the championship level, not necessarily to win it.

He is the Reeves and George Karls of the world, and there is nothing wrong with that.

mwill07
01-24-2013, 07:50 AM
can we at least wait for Fox to not win a divisional title before we talk about him being let go?

Armchair Bronco
01-24-2013, 08:05 AM
Fox is the new Reeves. John knows this. This time, Elway appreciates Reeves a lot more. That said, we might win the big one with fox, but to truly dominate, we need a new coach. Fox has always been to get us to the championship level, not necessarily to win it.

He is the Reeves and George Karls of the world, and there is nothing wrong with that.

There is actually a lot wrong with zero rings.

Prodigal19
01-24-2013, 08:15 AM
There is actually a lot wrong with zero rings.

name 4 things. go

DENVERDUI55
01-24-2013, 08:29 AM
Just another armchair bronco garbage thread.

Armchair Bronco
01-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Just another armchair bronco garbage thread.

Cool post, bro!

But I disagree. This is a quality thread with a legit topic for a team that went (and will likely forever go) One and Done under John Fox.

bronco militia
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
this is a good topic....Bowlen is not as patient as he used to be.

IMO, that letter he sent to the fans after the B-more loss was a warning shot at the coaching staff.

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Cool post, bro!

But I disagree. This is a quality thread with a legit topic for a team that went (and will likely forever go) One and Done under John Fox.

...You realize we won a playoff game under Fox just last year, right?

Armchair Bronco
01-24-2013, 08:52 AM
...You realize we won a playoff game under Fox just last year, right?

Tebow won that game, not Fox.

Pick Six
01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
He coached the team to 8 wins, with the current Jets punt protector. He's still a great coach. If he DOES have some down years, he'll be allowed to quietly "retire".

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 09:01 AM

...um, it by definition dismantles your "one and done" statement. This is precisely why no one could take your contribution toward the discussion seriously. If Manning drives down the field in OT, you'd say "he won that game, not Fox".

I think the Seahawks should fire Pete Carroll. After all, he's only been one and done... Russell Wilson won one game and Marshawn Lynch won another.

2KBack
01-24-2013, 09:10 AM
...um, it by definition dismantles your "one and done" statement. This is precisely why no one could take your contribution toward the discussion seriously. If Manning drives down the field in OT, you'd say "he won that game, not Fox".

I think the Seahawks should fire Pete Carroll. After all, he's only been one and done... Russell Wilson won one game and Marshawn Lynch won another.

Delhomme won all 3 of the playoff games in 2003 to get to the NFL Championship, not Fox.

Same for 2005 when they made the conference championship.

It was all Fox the 2 out of 5 playoff seasons his teams were one and done though.

So as you can see clearly here. All the games that Fox has an affect on are losses.

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Delhomme won all 3 of the playoff games in 2003 to get to the NFL Championship, not Fox.

Same for 2005 when they made the conference championship.

It was all Fox the 2 out of 5 playoff seasons his teams were one and done though.

So as you can see clearly here. All the games that Fox has an affect on are losses.

Mike McCarthy will always be one and done. How many years before he gets fired?

2KBack
01-24-2013, 09:34 AM
Mike McCarthy will always be one and done. How many years before he gets fired?

Probably around the same time as Belichick, because he can't win the big one. He's fine for the regular season and even the playoffs, but he will never win a championship.

Those superbowls weren't won by him....

2004 it was won by Corey Dillon

2003 was lost by Fox obviously

and in 2001 it was actually patriotism

SonOfLe-loLang
01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Lately, this Mane has been a visual equivilant to pulling that muscle or whatever in your taint.

R8R H8R
01-24-2013, 10:11 AM

Then Tebow also lost the next week to the Pats by 35 points, and he is solely responsible. Sorry, but you don't get to cherry pick which games a player is responsible for the win and which games the coach is responsible for the loss.

Coaches get the credit and blame for all wins and losses, on the teams they coach. That is the way it is and the way it will always be. If you believe otherwise, well as Rev said, you can't be taken seriously.

broncocalijohn
01-24-2013, 10:12 AM

No, just that you needed to bring it up like it was some master opinion by you. They either get fired or quit. Many times they quit when they see the writing on the walls. Fox is so far from a conservative game plan (in 2012) like Reeves was giving us.

BroncoBeavis
01-24-2013, 10:18 AM
can we at least wait for Fox to not win a divisional title before we talk about him being let go?

Phillip Rivers won Fox that first division title. Or so I'm told. :)

This is fun.

55CrushEm
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Well, chalk me up as one who'd love to have Gruden coach our team. I always thought the guy wanted to get back into coaching, but maybe he really does like that ESPN gig.

He's a good offensive mind, a fiery guy......and he turned Gannon into a pro-bowler. See if he can get Manning his second (or more) ring.....then stick around to mentor Twilight.

Just a hope......but it won't happen.

cutthemdown
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I'm guessing he hangs around for 4 yrs. 3 with manning and the first one without him. Then he's gone.

BroncoMan4ever
01-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Yeah, the guy has turned the culture and attitude around the team from joke to a winner. 2 division titles and regardless of what fans see or think, this team has big deficiencies on MLB, DT, RB and lack of speed at WR. And the idea that he will tank his job and end up 2-14 is a joke. That happened when his old owner chopped his balls off and was prepping for the lockout by cutting salaries of players.

DENVERDUI55
01-24-2013, 10:49 AM

Well if you want to get technical Demaryius won that game but Fox gets credit. HC gets the wins and losses.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-24-2013, 10:52 AM
There should be a mod option to strip certain posters from starting threads.

Tombstone RJ
01-24-2013, 11:03 AM
Look, even Shannyham got the heave ho eventually. If there is a truism in football, it's this: all coaches hang on too long, and most are fired well before they ride off into the sunset.

Trust me, Fox will be fired. The question is: WHEN?

depends on how many SBs the Broncos win with him.

ScottXray
01-24-2013, 11:07 AM
My guess is he has to get a ring while Manning is here. If he goes all conservative and one and done again next year ( assuming we are in a similar playoff position to last) he might just be done next year. But probably he is here for all of Mannings run.

After all, look how well the Chargeless have done since they dumped Marty after a 14-2 season , but playoff loss. That's worked out REAL well for them.
A closing window was slowly, but completely, shut with Norv taking over. Supposedly he is a great OC, yet the team declined every year.

We have a new OC and despite the misgivings most have about Fox and conservative plays, I think the play calling will be more agressive next year.
McCoy being gone is going to be a plus. I have to assume that the coaching staff and Elway are as aware of the problem areas ( OL, DT, LB, RB that can POUND the Defense, CB/Safety, and KICKER) as anyone here. They will definitely do their best to address these. With better weapons the play selection should open up, not continue at the same level.

If bad coaching costs us another playoff exit early next year, Elways decision to throw the whole teams future on Manning will be in danger of being made out as a bad decision. He will not let that continue, and some heads will roll, and/or responsibilities be changed.

The Broncos wasted an enormous opportunity this year, and the motivation to get past that will be impressed on everyone. Use the past and move into the future, or get gone is the theme.

Play2win
01-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Lately, this Mane has been a visual equivilant to pulling that muscle or whatever in your taint.
Lately?!?

Its been that way for a good 4 or so years.

I'll give you that it seems worse with the website being completely broken and non-functional and all.

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 12:54 PM
There should be a mod option to strip certain posters from starting threads.

He says something you don't like or don't agree with, so he shouldn't have a voice?

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Fox is a good HC, he'd have to lose the team to get fired. It's tough to fire an HC that's liked and respected.

But like ScottXray said above, more getting out-coached in the playoffs and Elway/Bowlen could pull the plug.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-24-2013, 02:38 PM
He says something you don't like or don't agree with, so he shouldn't have a voice?

No. But lately it seems there's quite a few stupid threads being started. This is just one example. Maybe armchair isn't worst but some of these threads are ridiculous. There's even a seperate thread started for an argument that was in another thread

go_broncos
01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Elway knows that manning will retire after couple of years..the window is very short.
If fox coaches the same way he did in his career, he will be fired after the season.

RaiderH8r
01-24-2013, 03:03 PM
John Fox, John Ralston. They both can't close and are too eager to take their half a loaf and go home.

Cito Pelon
01-24-2013, 03:22 PM
No. But lately it seems there's quite a few stupid threads being started. This is just one example. Maybe armchair isn't worst but some of these threads are ridiculous. There's even a seperate thread started for an argument that was in another thread

Nevertheless, the Broncs just shat the dang bed dude. Pat Bowlen was doing a giggity-giggity dance when Manning signed, and one-and-done resulted. Bowlen was furious, why shouldn't fans be?

2KBack
01-24-2013, 03:31 PM
I have trouble considering losing in the divisional round after a bye as less successful than winning a wildcard game first.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Nevertheless, the Broncs just shat the dang bed dude. Pat Bowlen was doing a giggity-giggity dance when Manning signed, and one-and-done resulted. Bowlen was furious, why shouldn't fans be?

Being mad is one thing. Constantly bashing the team and its coaches are how cowboy/giants fans act. It's perfectly OK to question fox. I did. But what are we going to do? Fire him? Revolving doors are installed in ****ty teams offices.

The real situation here isn't about fox coaching. It's about bitterness some people have with fox and Elway cause they shipped out their hero. They had to bite their tongue the entire season and when a SB wasn't happening they jumped on the chance to bash this FO. Still crying about shipping out garbage.

Being upset that Fox had no balls is one thing. Being upset cause there's still bitterness is another.

BroncoBeavis
01-24-2013, 03:46 PM
John Fox, John Ralston. They both can't close and are too eager to take their half a loaf and go home.

I can't put my finger on it, but something about Foxy reminds me of Bobby Finstock. :)

Armchair Bronco
01-24-2013, 10:55 PM
As far as I can tell, the purpose of this thread wasn't to advocate that John Fox should be fired (of course, if he *were* fired, that would make me happy). Rather, it was to solicit feedback on WHEN he will inevitably be fired, whether that's next year or 5 years from now.

In fact, I speculated that he'd be the HC for another 5 years, which is more time than most folks (even supporters) have given him.

Almost every coach has been fired at least once. And 90% or more of those that have never been fired will eventually be fired. There aren't many coaches who have left a team on their own terms. Tom Landry didn't. Don Shula didn't. Mike Shannyham didn't. Even Parcels left a trail of destruction everywhere.

The only guy I can think of who fits the bill is Bill Walsh.

ColoradoDarin
01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
As far as I can tell, the purpose of this thread wasn't to advocate that John Fox should be fired (of course, if he *were* fired, that would make me happy). Rather, it was to solicit feedback on WHEN he will inevitably be fired, whether that's next year or 5 years from now.

In fact, I speculated that he'd be the HC for another 5 years, which is more time than most folks (even supporters) have given him.

Almost every coach has been fired at least once. And 90% or more of those that have never been fired will eventually be fired. There aren't many coaches who have left a team on their own terms. Tom Landry didn't. Don Shula didn't. Mike Shannyham didn't. Even Parcels left a trail of destruction everywhere.

Walsh never coached again after the 9ers, but he was like a zombie - continually coming back to the franchise in other roles, overshadowing what everyone else was doing.

BroncoBeavis
01-25-2013, 09:25 AM

I don't think Cowher ever got fired. Dungy left on his own terms, at least the second time. Don't think Parcells ever got canned either. He just didn't have any patience for people's ****. :)

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-25-2013, 09:34 AM

Hank stram wasn't fired I think. Jimmy johnson? Bill cowher? John madden? CHUCK NOLL? I got more. I know joe Gibbs wasn't fired. There's plenty of examples other than Walsh. Joe Gibbs is the perfect example. He left on HIS terms twice with the same team. Now that doesn't happen often

B-Large
01-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Half the teams in the NFL would love to have a John Fox, Divisonal Playoff appearances problem....

TomServo
01-26-2013, 02:24 AM
just get it right. it was "half a loaf" lou saban. if it wasnt for john ralston the broncos would never have got into SB 12 and established real NFL cred in the nfl. we broke up the stealers string of superbowls in the 70's.
if Fox gets just one SB ring for manning thats as many as saint dungy did with manning in his prime.
yes, red miller was coach for SB 12 but Ralston built that orange crush.