PDA

View Full Version : Why Being a Fan Matters

TheReverend
01-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Excellent article from a friend of mine regarding the playoff loss (and the ensuing five stages of grief) and fandom in general. You'll also notice a cameo of Kaylore's work from the "Photoshop Rahim Moore" thread. Anyway, enjoy:

DEPRESSION. You know you’re depressed when you can’t find joy in watching Mr. Bundchen and coach Belicheat go down, “slide-kicking” and scowling their way to defeat. Instead of celebrating the demise of the bizarrely tailored hoodie, I am left paralyzed by the stabbing pain of regret – “we should’ve beaten the team that is now in the Super Bowl.”

UGH, I said STABBING! And once again I’m reminded of the Ravens, and that soul-crushing game. <Side note: In January 2000, after Raven’s middle linebacker Ray Lewis fled the scene of a double homicide, police reports claim he ditched his blood-drenched “white suit.” Stabbing deaths aside, he should have gone to prison for wearing a white suit. Asshole.>

http://www.flipcollective.com/2013/01/23/in-defense-of-the-foam-finger-why-being-a-fan-matters-by-katie-levisay/

go_broncos
01-23-2013, 03:43 PM
I understand the pain..These type of loss is very rare.
2 TD's by ST and we still lost the game.

I got severe headache after the loss..
I got up suddenly and checked the score that night just to make sure it really happened.
I am slowly recovering now..
I am angry at the NFL that allowed incompetent refs to officiate the game.
It's time to move on..I am confident that we will be in playoffs next season.
I hope Fox doesn't call conservative plays.

BroncoBeavis
01-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Excellent article from a friend of mine regarding the playoff loss (and the ensuing five stages of grief) and fandom in general. You'll also notice a cameo of Kaylore's work from the "Photoshop Rahim Moore" thread. Anyway, enjoy:

http://www.flipcollective.com/2013/01/23/in-defense-of-the-foam-finger-why-being-a-fan-matters-by-katie-levisay/

I read this earlier.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/a-second-helping-of-baltimores-70-yard-game-tying-td

It totally didn't effing help.

ludo21
01-23-2013, 03:56 PM
nice for your daughter to look up to you like that.

MagicHef
01-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Literal lol:

And it’s happiness that we get to share with others. Collective delight. Like theoretically being 9 months pregnant, at Mile High Stadium, popping and locking to House of Pain with two dudes dressed as “Dumb and Dumber” in the seats next to you, after Marion Barber inexplicably ran out of bounds, giving us new life. Come on, does it really get much better than that?

TheReverend
01-23-2013, 04:03 PM
nice for your daughter to look up to you like that.

Yeah, I really enjoyed that section too.

ludo21
01-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I really enjoyed that section too.

i think i missed jefferson city, mo too in social studies.

seriously wtf MO?

That One Guy
01-23-2013, 05:52 PM
I mean come on Rahim, my one-year-old knows that under no circumstance do you let that receiver behind you (especially with Lennay Kekua playing corner)

Hahaha... well played!

Miss I.
01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Very good post rev. Was talking to Sir today about having a female on the podcasts next season. She would be a good choice. She's funny, knowledgeable, has a good history with the team going by this article. Just a thought. Either way good find sir.

That One Guy
01-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Very good post rev. Was talking to Sir today about having a female on the podcasts next season. She would be a good choice. She's funny, knowledgeable, has a good history with the team going by this article. Just a thought. Either way good find sir.

It's not nice to potentially derail a thread with a stupid idea.

EDIT: Turns out the stupid idea wasn't Miss I's. She was just suggesting this person as a candidate for someone else's stupid idea. My apologies.

Pick Six
01-24-2013, 08:20 AM

The best line, of that paragraph, was one you omitted:

Stabbing deaths aside, he should have gone to prison for wearing a white suit

That's brilliant stuff, right there...:thumbs:

OABB
01-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Best blog on the Internet. Her and I were supposed to get married at one point. Turns out she isn't into fat bald guys.

Bitch.

BroncoBeavis
01-24-2013, 08:25 AM

<center>https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTwB31HMRbqiusht6hBUYScU6y_YEbXL b4OXw3Ola1hzY9Ku4JZ</center>

OABB
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I mean come on Rahim, my one-year-old knows that under no circumstance do you let that receiver behind you (especially with Lennay Kekua playing corner)

Hahaha... well played!

The rest of the line is the best.

OABB
01-24-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm still waiting to be asked. :)

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 09:26 AM
The best line, of that paragraph, was one you omitted:

Stabbing deaths aside, he should have gone to prison for wearing a white suit

That's brilliant stuff, right there...:thumbs:

Ah, nice catch! It wasn't intentionally omitted... the < and > took it out from the post for some internet reason.

BroncoBeavis
01-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Ah, nice catch! It wasn't intentionally omitted... the < and > took it out from the post for some internet reason.

Probably had to do with a < toohighbrowformethwolfmaners > tag.

Mediator12
01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Damn, that is a great article. How the hell did you meet such a fine example of the human race Rev? Clinical Psychologist as well....

I would certainly participate more next year if she were to do the Podcasts!

OABB
01-24-2013, 11:11 AM
I think the podcast needs magruder. maybe a conspiracy corner segment.

OABB
01-24-2013, 11:12 AM
Damn, that is a great article. How the hell did you meet such a fine example of the human race Rev? Clinical Psychologist as well....

Rev was a patient of hers.. She specializes in erectile dysfunction. She cured him in one day.

She showed him a picture of himself shirtless:)

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Let's not puff her ego up too much, shall we? I wouldn't want to be her husband dealing with that level of fall-out.

Rev was a patient of hers.. She specializes in erectile dysfunction. She cured him in one day.

She showed him a picture of himself shirtless:)

^ pretty much exactly the circumstance and precisely why OABB knows her too, but his condition is on-going.

Kaylore
01-24-2013, 11:34 AM
This is excellent.

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
This is excellent.

Btw, she reiterated her appreciation of the picture.

Mediator12
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Let's not puff her ego up too much, shall we? I wouldn't want to be her husband dealing with that level of fall-out.

^ pretty much exactly the circumstance and precisely why OABB knows her too, but his condition is on-going.

Dude, he lives with a Psycholgist who obviously is not an introvert. The level of fallout he already deals with could not be more problematic. I know :thumbs:

Plus, she writes from the heart and holds no punches. Probably a damn good outlet from the crap she deals with already every day in conjunction with dealing with a kid and a small horse (those dogs are huge).

TheReverend
01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Dude, he lives with a Psycholgist who obviously is not an introvert. The level of fallout he already deals with could not be more problematic. I know :thumbs:

Haha, that's gotta be better than the sheer suspense and wonder behind the quiet "Hmmm" you probably do while tapping your chin and walking away.

Kaylore
01-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Btw, she reiterated her appreciation of the picture.

She sent me a PM. I would have done a better job if I knew it was going to be on such a nice piece of writing. It was purely an exercise in grief management. Apropos, I suppose...

Mediator12
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Haha, that's gotta be better than the sheer suspense and wonder behind the quiet "Hmmm" you probably do while tapping your chin and walking away.

I only do that to other people. I don't have the balls to do that to her after 21 years....

Now, the sarcasm meter on the other hand....:yayaya:

Requiem
01-24-2013, 01:17 PM
This girl posts here?

Mediator12
01-24-2013, 01:20 PM
This girl posts here?

Lady. She does and she's married so play nice.

She may not however Hilarious!

OABB
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM

She fixed it. turns out it was heartbreak and butthurt over the tebow trade. I'm better now. I just watch the steelers game and its boner time again.

OABB
01-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Lady. She does and she's married so play nice.

She may not however Hilarious!

She was largely ignored because her posts were too smart. I tried to tell her to dumb it down and call everyone ******s (works for me) but she refused. I'm reeling her back as we speak with my powerful charm....

...so...yeah, not coming back.

TheReverend
01-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Speaking of, what's your deal? Why haven't you come on yet?

Dr. Broncenstein
01-25-2013, 11:31 AM
I recognize the writing. Has the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

Kaylore
01-25-2013, 11:46 AM
I recognize the writing. Has the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

It was written by BraveStarr?

Mediator12
01-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Speaking of, what's your deal? Why haven't you come on yet?

Time brother, time. I could never make the dates due to an engagement. I will come on next year, but my business just got another uptick and I am WAY behind on the draft. CB's look damn good though from what I have seen and DL too. Might be the deepest Defensive draft since 2003.....

TheReverend
01-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Time brother, time. I could never make the dates due to an engagement. I will come on next year, but my business just got another uptick and I am WAY behind on the draft. CB's look damn good though from what I have seen and DL too. Might be the deepest Defensive draft since 2003.....

Check out Robert Alford. I fell in love with this guy over the senior bowl and am watching a bunch of his college stuff now.