PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the RB position

mwill07
01-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Seems to me that we have some uncertainty @ RB heading into 2013. I'm seeing lots of folks putting this as a need in the upcoming draft. I'm not sure if that's critical or not.

Here's what we have:

Willis McGahee - will be turning 32 next season. Under contract thru 2014 for $2.5M and then $2M next year. Willis is a good player, he's a guy that can get us the short yardage. I don't see him being as much of an every down back any more, I see Willis having more of a Bettis role moving forward. I don't believe he has the best hands, so I'm not really sure he's the guy you want on the field when Manning is doing his thing.

Knowshon Moreno - will be 26 by the start of training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for between $1.7M and $2.6M, depending on how his bonus is structured. I saw lots of good stuff from Moreno this year, it seems like he has turned his game around and things are slowing down for him. I think he has the potential to be an Addai-type role-player because he has good hands and is decent in space. However, I am concerned about his durability. I'm still not sure what happened to him in the playoff game.

Ronnie Hillman - will turn 22 in November. Under contract thru 2015 for $480k this year. We need to see Ronnie develop his game, he doesn't seem to have "it", not just yet. goes down on the first contact, doesn't seem really all that elusive nor fast. I think there is potential there, but at this point, Hillman is not someone I trust for more than occasional use.

Jacob Hester - will be 28 by training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for $715k. Obviously, he's a McGahee fill-in - short yardage back, limited value. Not all that impressed with his <3.0 ypc in three out of 4 games played.

Chris Gronkowski - RFA. Not needed as a FB, he should be considered a special teamer only.

Lance Ball - RFA. Not sure he has a role moving forward.

so that's what we have. A big back with some miles and bum knees, a back who is finally getting it but has never broken a big one who also has bum knees, a shifty guy who hasn't quite blossomed, and a bigger short yardage guy who, frankly, isn't very good. There's a lot of pieces here, but I don't see the whole package anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Broncos bring in someone to shore this up.

mwill07
01-22-2013, 08:24 AM
One name I'd be very interested in bringing in is DeAngelo Williams. He has familiarity with Fox and Magazu's running game. He put up 210 vs NO last year, he can still run. Not active in the passing game lately, but he did have ~ 20-30 catches/year his first few years in a time-share. Panthers are in cap-trouble and with a new GM, there will be a blood-letting. DeAngelo very well could be available.

I'm not sure how DeAngelo would fit with McGahee and Moreno though - not sure there is room for all three.

spdirty
01-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I'd like to cut mcgahee and forget to resign Ball, then go draft Stepfan Taylor, and let him, moreno, and jeremiah johnson compete for the job.

cutthemdown
01-22-2013, 08:30 AM
It's time to totally rebuild the RB position. I really think Elway will focus on this spot this yr.

Mcgahee- Maybe Broncos should just cut him and move on. He's old, lacks burst, fumbled a lot and then got injured pretty bad.

Moreno- Can't be counted on to stay healthy or make big plays

Hillman- A nice RB that can be part of our attack but he lacks the size needed to do it on his own. Also I was bummed he didn't look more wiggly when he runs. He reminds me of a straight ahead speed guy nothing more.

Ball- BORING! and avg

Hester- Has a place on the teams back end of the roster but nothing that says dont draft a RB lol.

I think dropping Mcgahee for DeAngelo Williams would be interesting but it still might be wise to draft another RB.

I don't mind the FA route at RB though I think they can step in and play pretty well the first yr.

2KBack
01-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Have McGahee tearfully announce that it's his last season and ride the refs all the way to the Superbowl

cmhargrove
01-22-2013, 08:40 AM
My two cents, which may develop since I have just gotten into examining this year's crop of collegiate talent.

1. Spend a third rounder and draft Le'Veon Bell (I may be late to this party, but this guys looks perfect for the Fox system).
2. Moreno stays as #2, or call him 1b, whatever. Split his carries, and you increase his longevity. That TD reception against the Ravens was sick, absolutely sick. He has really progressed and definitely an asset at his price tag.
3. Hillman continues to develop. We don't really know what to expect of him yet. We will probably see "all that he has" by training camp next year. Will he be bigger? Stronger? Quicker? This offseason may be instrumental in deciding whether his career is one of a "change of pace," or in a starting rotation. I honestly think he started this year a little afraid. If you listen to his interviews, he just came off that way and it is understandable given his size and age. Next training camp will be telling.
4. Keep Lance Ball. There, I said it. He has been good for the team, and is a good special teamer on the cheap. If you find someone that can play ST just as well, so be it. Upgrade if you can, but he's a cheap backup at this point. I love developing extra linebackers on ST, but we do need RB depth.
5. Release Hester and Gronkowski, I don't see where a fullback contributes to this system. We used Hester for a few goal line plays, but we were equally successful in those situations when we put in Unrein as a blocking back. We could use several players in this FB role including Virgil Green. All our RB's should be as good as these guys at pass pro, or they shouldn't be out there. If I kept one of these two, it would definitely be Hester because of his pass pro. He would certainly be cheap, but upgrading the RB position should make him more expendable.

My 2 cents.

Tombstone RJ
01-22-2013, 08:41 AM
It's time to totally rebuild the RB position. I really think Elway will focus on this spot this yr.

Mcgahee- Maybe Broncos should just cut him and move on. He's old, lacks burst, fumbled a lot and then got injured pretty bad.

Moreno- Can't be counted on to stay healthy or make big plays

Hillman- A nice RB that can be part of our attack but he lacks the size needed to do it on his own. Also I was bummed he didn't look more wiggly when he runs. He reminds me of a straight ahead speed guy nothing more.

Ball- BORING! and avg

Hester- Has a place on the teams back end of the roster but nothing that says dont draft a RB lol.

I think dropping Mcgahee for DeAngelo Williams would be interesting but it still might be wise to draft another RB.

I don't mind the FA route at RB though I think they can step in and play pretty well the first yr.

I disagree about McGahee, he's still very productive. If I'm the Broncos I keep him. If the Broncos decide to cut loose a few RBs it should be Moreno, Ball and Hester.

The Broncos can try to bring in another FA RB (I like Mendenhall) or try to infuse more youth at the RB position by the draft.

socalorado
01-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Draft Stephan Taylor.
The guy is the perfect RB for the DEN offense. Go get a young, talented, playmaker that can already run inside or out, catch outta the backfield, and is an excellent blocking back.

And no to DeAngelo Williams. Hes 29, soon to be 30 in April.
His contract is massive.
And hes injured too much as well.
DeAngelo is just a more expensive McGahee.

Kaylore
01-22-2013, 09:08 AM
I think in today's NFL you build your RB corps the same way you build an offensive line - a lot of middle to later round picks with a few bargain free agents. I think we should draft one, but not any higher than round three at most. If there is someone out there who can be had for a decent price, I'd be ok with that too. Not both.

2KBack
01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
I think in today's NFL you build your RB corps the same way you build an offensive line - a lot of middle to later round picks with a few bargain free agents. I think we should draft one, but not any higher than round three at most. If there is someone out there who can be had for a decent price, I'd be ok with that too. Not both.

Agreed on all points.

Grab a competitor in rounds 3-5, pick up someone like Hillis to make Gronk and Hester expendable. May the best backs win.

Heyneck
01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Cut WM. Love his time here, but he is old and coming back from injury. Cut him and DJ and go after Steven Jackson. Would make our running game instantly way better!

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 09:43 AM
One name I'd be very interested in bringing in is DeAngelo Williams. He has familiarity with Fox and Magazu's running game. He put up 210 vs NO last year, he can still run. Not active in the passing game lately, but he did have ~ 20-30 catches/year his first few years in a time-share. Panthers are in cap-trouble and with a new GM, there will be a blood-letting. DeAngelo very well could be available.

I'm not sure how DeAngelo would fit with McGahee and Moreno though - not sure there is room for all three.

DeAngelo got a ridiculous contract not that long ago. Too much money for someone that old especially when instead of shuffling a pick or picks to get him we can get a guy like Lacy in the 2nd for 20% of Williams salary

Bacchus
01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Seems to me that we have some uncertainty @ RB heading into 2013. I'm seeing lots of folks putting this as a need in the upcoming draft. I'm not sure if that's critical or not.

Here's what we have:

Willis McGahee - will be turning 32 next season. Under contract thru 2014 for $2.5M and then $2M next year. Willis is a good player, he's a guy that can get us the short yardage. I don't see him being as much of an every down back any more, I see Willis having more of a Bettis role moving forward. I don't believe he has the best hands, so I'm not really sure he's the guy you want on the field when Manning is doing his thing.

Knowshon Moreno - will be 26 by the start of training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for between $1.7M and $2.6M, depending on how his bonus is structured. I saw lots of good stuff from Moreno this year, it seems like he has turned his game around and things are slowing down for him. I think he has the potential to be an Addai-type role-player because he has good hands and is decent in space. However, I am concerned about his durability. I'm still not sure what happened to him in the playoff game.

Ronnie Hillman - will turn 22 in November. Under contract thru 2015 for $480k this year. We need to see Ronnie develop his game, he doesn't seem to have "it", not just yet. goes down on the first contact, doesn't seem really all that elusive nor fast. I think there is potential there, but at this point, Hillman is not someone I trust for more than occasional use.

Jacob Hester - will be 28 by training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for $715k. Obviously, he's a McGahee fill-in - short yardage back, limited value. Not all that impressed with his <3.0 ypc in three out of 4 games played.

Chris Gronkowski - RFA. Not needed as a FB, he should be considered a special teamer only.

so that's what we have. A big back with some miles and bum knees, a back who is finally getting it but has never broken a big one who also has bum knees, a shifty guy who hasn't quite blossomed, and a bigger short yardage guy who, frankly, isn't very good. There's a lot of pieces here, but I don't see the whole package anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Broncos bring in someone to shore this up.

Don't forget Jeremiah Johnson and Fannin.

Pick Six
01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Steven Jackson would be awesome, in this offense. He needs to forget about the Rams, and go to a team that has a chance to hoist the Lombardi...:thumbs:

cutthemdown
01-22-2013, 09:57 AM
I disagree about McGahee, he's still very productive. If I'm the Broncos I keep him. If the Broncos decide to cut loose a few RBs it should be Moreno, Ball and Hester.

The Broncos can try to bring in another FA RB (I like Mendenhall) or try to infuse more youth at the RB position by the draft.

I would be ok with keeping him one more year if the coaches feel he comes back from injury. I just think the search for a true lead runner continues. A rent a vet approach in FA could be smart though because Manning needs smart players quick.

I just think out of all positions RBs seem to come along the quickest. You see a lot ofo rookie runners contribute right away. I like Hillman just not as the only young back on the roster with upside.

I agree Moreno imo only sticks if nothing works out in TC and Broncos only have him to fall back on. Otherwise i see him hitting the pavement.

DENVERDUI55

Agreed. Hillman sticks for sure and maybe Moreno if he takes pay cut. I say wash rest out draft and sign couple cheap players and let battle begin for the job. I like Taylor from stanford in the 3 rd if he is there.

ludo21
I'd like to cut mcgahee and forget to resign Ball, then go draft Stepfan Taylor, and let him, moreno, and jeremiah johnson compete for the job.

Jeremiah Johnson???

Hilarious!

yes the team is not playing him to save him for competition next year.......

Lestat
01-22-2013, 09:59 AM
my three favorite backs in this draft are Lacy,Bernard and Gillislee. i like Lattimore as a 4th-5th round bargain who could turn into a stud.

mwill07
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
DeAngelo got a ridiculous contract not that long ago. Too much money for someone that old especially when instead of shuffling a pick or picks to get him we can get a guy like Lacy in the 2nd for 20% of Williams salary

well, his monster contract had a lot in signing bonus, which I think would not be transferred in trade. His cap numbers are as follows:

2013: $5M
2014: $6M
2015: $7M

source (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/deangelo-williams/)

That's still an awful lot, especially considering dead money we would be dealing with by cutting McGahee.

I doubt DeAngelo would take a pay-cut to come here; if he were to take a pay-cut, it would be to stay in Carolina. Panthers could cut him outright, in which case we probably wouldn't want to be in the bidding war for his services. so, yeah...DeAngelo probably isn't coming here.

Drunk Monkey
01-22-2013, 10:16 AM

Gunns will be here shortly to enlighten you on why he sucks and why that would be a horrible move.

After the contract he signed with Carolina I now agree with her (not sure what he is still owed). From a performance POV I would love to have him in Denver.

edit: just saw above message, way to much coin.

razorwire77
01-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Dynamic play-makers both at RB and slot receiver are areas of weakness imo. We have some solid players, but nobody who's really a threat to jump cut and go vertical.

Willis McGahee-I like Willis. Honestly, I think the Mane is a bit rough on him. If he's splitting carries with KM or Hillman, I think we beat Bmore. I agree 100 percent, that he's basically a goaline/short-yardage back at this point (which was basically what he was supposed to be originally to KM.) We'll have to see how he recovers from this latest injury.

KM-Proved me wrong this year. I think he's a decent grinder between the tackles. I think he's the best blocking back and receiving back we have. He's also relatively cheap next year. That being said, teams don't fear Knowshon Moreno. He's certainly a guy that can help you out and get some carries to spell a feature back. On third and 8, he's a great safety valve and pass-protecting back. But between his explosiveness limitations and injuries, we need an upgraded starter.

Hillman-Had a decent game against Baltimore. He needs to get physically stronger. He had elite speed in the MWC, but it hasn't translated completely to the NFL. Still seems like he can catch an edge at the NFL level, but had trouble making people miss in space. He seems to be a pretty willing blocker, but he's too damn small and not strong enough yet to do it consistently. PFM didn't trust him this year. I think he'll make some strides this year, but I don't think he's going to be an Arian Foster. I think his ceiling is to be a really nice change of pace back, not a feature RB.

Ball, Hester and Company are basically camp fodder next year. Ball also had a few noticeable screwups on special teams this year as well.

SlyEli
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm curious to see the jump hillman makes from year one to year two. Still has a lot to figure out.

Mountain Bronco
01-22-2013, 10:29 AM
I thought Hillman played admirably against Baltimore and really gave me reason to believe that he is going to be a factor next year. Dude was the youngest player in the NFL this year and has ability, just needs some time and even in his time this year he got progressively better at everything from hitting the hole, power running and even pass protection. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with him next year.

With that said, I think we have a lot of nice parts for a running game, but unless Hillman takes a huge step rather than the nice step I anticipate, we don't have any explosive great backs; however, I don't know if there are any explosive great backs that we can pick up in FA or the draft where we are drafting, so I am not convinced that we need to add anything more to the stable we have other than perhaps some better depth.

Lestat
01-22-2013, 10:48 AM
i like Hillman a lot, i just think we need a sure fire pound it back who can take 20+ carries a game and allow us to use Hillman as a 15-20 touches guy(running and receiving.)

ludo21
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
to me Hillman is the only question mark on whether or not we bring in a young stud RB. Are they going to wait for him to develop in year 2 or just assume what we all know that his is a 3rd down and GREAT back up back.

No doubt in my mind that we will draft or bring in competition at RB and let Ball and possibly Hester go

maven
01-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Here's what we have:

That is a sad sack of RB's...

cutthemdown
01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Yep a playemaker at RB would add a great dynamic to the offense. Especially one that was a dual run/reciever type threat. Also a stud TE wouldn't suck. Remember our offense the Superbowl years we had studs everywhere. 3rd WR IMO just not a pressing need if we could add a Rb or TE.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
to me Hillman is the only question mark on whether or not we bring in a young stud RB. Are they going to wait for him to develop in year 2 or just assume what we all know that his is a 3rd down and GREAT back up back.

No doubt in my mind that we will draft or bring in competition at RB and let Ball and possibly Hester go
Whether or not he develops He'll never be a feature back. Too small and incapable of much when rushing into the middle of the field. He is an outside the trenches runner and pass catcher. We still need the power back.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Yep a playemaker at RB would add a great dynamic to the offense. Especially one that was a dual run/reciever type threat. Also a stud TE wouldn't suck. Remember our offense the Superbowl years we had studs everywhere. 3rd WR IMO just not a pressing need if we could add a Rb or TE.

Virgil Green will be taking Dreessen's job and dominate the seam next season. He will be more than just a good blocker. Had he not had the suspension this season he would have been a bigger part of the offense this year

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 11:46 AM
Hester, Ball, Gronk ----- GONE

McGahee I agree with the bus type roll.

K.M. ??? Played hard but it never fails when you really really need him he seems to get hurt. I won't fault him for not trying though and that hurdle on ed reed was amazing.

Hillman Showed enough to stay, Still don't know if I'm sold on him but ehh.

So with that looks like we will have to draft one if we want a chance at the dance. Sucks too cause I was hoping for another big WR, a Slot WR a DT and a MLB.

Round

#1 MLB
#2 DT
#3 WR
#4 WR

KevinJames
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Draft Kenjon Barner hes probably the closest thing to a Doug martin caliber player in this draft

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Virgil Green will be taking Dreessen's job and dominate the seam next season. He will be more than just a good blocker. Had he not had the suspension this season he would have been a bigger part of the offense this year

What happened to our PSU basket ball player Tight end that was going to rock and has played so little I can't even remember his name.

Requiem
01-22-2013, 12:01 PM
What happened to our PSU basket ball player Tight end that was going to rock and has played so little I can't even remember his name.

Julius Thomas. Worst pick we have had in recent memory. At least we got Virgil Green that sees time out of those lat rounds, because Thomas is just crap.

cmhargrove
01-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Julius Thomas. Worst pick we have had in recent memory. At least we got Virgil Green that sees time out of those lat rounds, because Thomas is just crap.

Yep, he has sucked pretty bad. The pro football game just seems too big for Julius.

I would love to see us take a shot on another playmaking TE this year, but the type that can also block and pound out a few extra yards. I don't know where his draft stock is headed, but in the later rounds I would love to see us go after Travis Kelce from Cincinatti. At 6'6" and 260 lbs, he has the ability to be both an excellent blocker ad a dynamic receiver. Looks like a really solid pickup in the later rounds.

2KBack
01-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Don't overlook Virgil Green, good athlete and could grow into what we hoped Thomas would be

Doggcow
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
I'd be cool with Chris Johnson if Tenn lets him go.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Yep, he has sucked pretty bad. The pro football game just seems too big for Julius.

I would love to see us take a shot on another playmaking TE this year, but the type that can also block and pound out a few extra yards. I don't know where his draft stock is headed, but in the later rounds I would love to see us go after Travis Kelce from Cincinatti. At 6'6" and 260 lbs, he has the ability to be both an excellent blocker ad a dynamic receiver. Looks like a really solid pickup in the later rounds.

How do you know the game is "too big for him." We've barely seen him play. He's a basketball player that probably is still learning how to play football. Great athlete, hopefully he proves to be useful. He was still on the 53, so they must not think hes total garbage

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 03:06 PM
I'd be cool with Chris Johnson if Tenn lets him go.

I'd rather eat my own guts, asshole first than see that clown in orange and blue

pricejj
01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
McGahee was on pace for 1200 yards before his knee cap was helmeted BTW...lot's of delusion in this thread.

1. Let McGahee, Moreno, and Hillman battle it out for playing time in training camp. They are all really good, and fully capable of starting while carrying us to the Super Bowl.

2. Hester is a dynamic FB (get rid of Gronk).

3. Draft a dynamic RB, who's relatively unkown, in a later round to battle it out with Johnson and Fannin for the last RB spot.

Chris
01-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Whether or not he develops He'll never be a feature back. Too small and incapable of much when rushing into the middle of the field. He is an outside the trenches runner and pass catcher. We still need the power back.

I disagree I think he had good vision inside and made plays there. He'd cut out on a lot of broken plays because that's what his college instinct was... and it worked a lot of the time.

He just needs to get bigger and better at pass pro (being bigger will help). I don't think he's a Doug Martin type talent waiting to happen but he could be a big part of a 1-2 punch.

2KBack
01-22-2013, 04:52 PM
There's no reason to think that Hillman won't take a physical leap along with the mental one over the offseason. He is a young fellow. He will likely be playing at around 200lbs pretty soon. Not a big back, but no longer such a lightweight

Play2win
01-22-2013, 05:03 PM
There's no reason to think that Hillman won't take a physical leap along with the mental one over the offseason. He is a young fellow. He will likely be playing at around 200lbs pretty soon. Not a big back, but no longer such a lightweight

As long as he hits up those Power Plates... LOL

broncos-rock
01-22-2013, 05:49 PM
What about Rashard Mendenhall? The steelers dont want him and he will want to prove them wrong. Maybe a year deal or something?

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 05:53 PM
I disagree I think he had good vision inside and made plays there. He'd cut out on a lot of broken plays because that's what his college instinct was... and it worked a lot of the time.

He just needs to get bigger and better at pass pro (being bigger will help). I don't think he's a Doug Martin type talent waiting to happen but he could be a big part of a 1-2 punch.

I agree he could be a good 3rd down back change of pace guy. What I meant is I don't see him as a feature back that can take the constant pounding of 15-20 carries a week. I see him as a 10-15 touches a game guy.

BroncoMan4ever
01-22-2013, 06:38 PM
What about Rashard Mendenhall? The steelers dont want him and he will want to prove them wrong. Maybe a year deal or something?

What about drafting a guy and being set at the position for the next 4-6 years instead of getting old legs on a year to year basis.

These guys, Mendenhall, Jackson or Williams are available for a reason, why should we be so eagar to get one of these guys out of the trash?

razorwire77
01-22-2013, 07:12 PM
What about drafting a guy and being set at the position for the next 4-6 years instead of getting old legs on a year to year basis.

These guys, Mendenhall, Jackson or Williams are available for a reason, why should we be so eagar to get one of these guys out of the trash?

Probably because all three would be an instant upgrade over what the Broncos have now, and allow the team to address other areas high in the draft (DT, MLB, slot WR, and CB.)

There is a limited window left with Peyton Manning, if you can get a plug and play back who's chasing a ring too I think you do it.

That being said, if you have a Giovani Bernard, or Eddie Lacy sitting at the bottom of the 2nd round, I'd be fine with that as well.

DBroncos4life
01-22-2013, 07:24 PM
Draft Kenjon Barner hes probably the closest thing to a Doug martin caliber player in this draft

The guy just weighed in at 188 pounds and was 5'9 at the senior bowl. Martin was 223 at the combine. I just don't see it.

razorwire77
01-22-2013, 07:33 PM
The guy just weighed in at 188 pounds and was 5'9 at the senior bowl. Martin was 223 at the combine. I just don't see it.

Yeah, there are 5 backs off of the top of my head that I would rather draft than Barner.

1.) Gio Bernard
2. Eddie Lacy
3.) The Taylor kid from Stanford
4.) Lattimore
5.) Leveon Bell

DBroncos4life
01-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Yeah, there are 5 backs off of the top of my head that I would rather draft than Barner.

1.) Gio Bernard
2. Eddie Lacy
3.) The Taylor kid from Stanford
4.) Lattimore
5.) Leveon Bell

Barner looked fast from what I have seen so far. He drew comparison to Jaq Rodgers for being short and thick. The idea of having two RBs that are 5'9 and less then 190 pounds makes little sense.

extralife
01-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I think Moreno playing reasonably well kind of screws things up, as dumb as that sounds. Before, you could safely pencil him in to be cut or rot on the bench next year. Now, he's good enough to play, but you're not all that excited about what he does. The OP calls him Addai, and that sounds about right to me.

I like Willis, I want Willis back. Basically if Willis and Moreno are both back, you don't do anything at the position, because you can't.

razorwire77
01-22-2013, 08:03 PM
Barner looked fast from what I have seen so far. He drew comparison to Jaq Rodgers for being short and thick. The idea of having two RBs that are 5'9 and less then 190 pounds makes little sense.

Yeah, I honestly think Hillman will grow into the roll of a quality change of pace back. We need to find a bigger back with power to replace McGahee, not a small, fast, inexperienced back, to replace our small, fast, inexperienced back.

broncos-rock
01-22-2013, 08:17 PM

I dont disagree with you but I think we need to bring in a vet with attitude for depth. I really think we need to draft Mannings Terrell Davis.

pricejj
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
Giovani Bernard is almost the exact same size, speed, and age as Ronnie Hillman.

Ronnie Hillman - 5'091", 200 lbs., 4.45 forty, turned 21 in September
Giovani Bernard - 5'09", 205 lbs, 4,48? forty, turned 21 in November

Not sure who in their right mind would think Hillman is "too small", yet wants the Broncos to draft Bernard in the 1st round? No Offense, but that's just crazy talk.

razorwire77
01-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Giovani Bernard is almost the exact same size, speed, and age as Ronnie Hillman.

Ronnie Hillman - 5'091", 200 lbs., 4.45 forty, turned 21 in September
Giovani Bernard - 5'09", 205 lbs, 4,48? forty, turned 21 in November

Not sure who in their right mind would think Hillman is "too small", yet wants the Broncos to draft Bernard in the 1st round? No Offense, but that's just crazy talk.
Gio Bernard is the exception of taking a smaller back imo. Running styles, explosiveness and vision are just as important as 40 times. He's more compact and well put together than Hillman, with a much thicker frame. My guess is actual weight wise, he's probably 15 pounds heaver than Ronnie. Drafttek has us taking him at 28. Would not be OK with that. At 58, I'd be OK with it.

Ronnie I see as a change of pace back. Gio I see as having more 15-20 carry potential.