PDA

View Full Version : OT--So tell me about Longmont

Quoydogs
01-21-2013, 04:56 PM
So tell me about Longmont. We are down to about 7 months before the move. Almost have my business sold " just the lawyer crap now " the a few months off and we will be Colorado people. We were looking for a smaller town we are in Portland now and LM seems to fit the build. I'll be opening up a mechanic shop up there. Looking to help all my Orangemane people out. Still need to find a good place to live. Kinda want to go back to my country roots would like to find a place on the outskirts of town with a little size to it. Anyway ways I would love to hear any info you have.

Go Broncos
See ya soon.

ColoradoDarin
01-21-2013, 05:54 PM
I was born in Longmont, but haven't lived there for 14 years and haven't been back in 10. Beautiful place. Plenty of outskirts there still within 10 mins of getting everywhere. We lived out by Haystack (near 63rd and Niwot rd).

MagicHef
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
My parents live there now. Nice, quiet town.

nickademus
01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
I have lived in Longmont on and off for 32 years. pm me with any questions.

Quoydogs
01-21-2013, 07:06 PM

Thanks fellas. The wife will put a small list and pm you for sure.! Thanks.

Carmelo15
01-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I'm a city guy, don't ask me

Meck77
01-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Best public website for real estate in the front range.

http://www.recolorado.com/

I don't service the area but know people who do.

Quoydogs
01-21-2013, 07:34 PM

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Longmont is ok. As long as you find some property on the outskirts it would be fine. I have lived in Loveland, Fort Collins, & Greeley.

Greeley schools are pretty pathetic. (I am a teacher here too, lol).

Loveland is a poor mans version of Fort Collins. Collins has some of the best schools in the state, want to move back there or rather the outskirts of it.

If you want to stay close to Longmont, try Berthoud. St Vrain School district probably on par with Thompson School district (Berthoud would be this).

I just can't say there is anything great about Longmont. Its dull. At least Berthoud has that small town feel even though its still not that beautiful.

If you can commute further, then get up north to Collins or Windsor. Avoid Greeley if you have kids (great besides that, no matter what others say).

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 08:17 PM
However, Berthoud may be too small for you....

If you want to be closer to Boulder, then stick with Longmont. If you'd rather be closer to Collins, go Berthoud.

tesnyde
01-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I have lived in Longmont since last summer. I have a family so I like the smallness, easy access to stuff but not in the middle of it. St Vrain School District has pockets of greatness. Niwot and Lyons are often rated as two of the best HS in the country. Mead Middle had the second highest growth rates in the state. They also have have won the governors award along with Altona MS. Mead HS and Erie are also good schools. Thompson doesn't have much. Horrible board and supt. turnover issues. Completely disagree with previous poster on that issue.

Ft Collins is awesome, fun, good schools, and I'm a CSU alum, but its got growing pains, and is further from skiing and Denver. Boulder is a whole another planet, Greeley sucks....

Longmont has been great for me and my family.

Quoydogs
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
We are looking for something with around 100k population or no larger then 350 k with surrounding area. Never thought about what schools are good before but since were going to start a family i guess this is important now. WOW gut check, thanks. Looked at ft Collins but most things said it was a college town and i will have a automotive shop. No offenses but college kids are broke and there parents always think your taking advantage of them. Also it seemed like a long ways to drive for games. Are we wrong? Oh and housing seemed outrageous there.

Quoydogs
01-21-2013, 09:36 PM

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:42 PM
So tell me about Longmont. We are down to about 7 months before the move. Almost have my business sold " just the lawyer crap now " the a few months off and we will be Colorado people. We were looking for a smaller town we are in Portland now and LM seems to fit the build. I'll be opening up a mechanic shop up there. Looking to help all my Orangemane people out. Still need to find a good place to live. Kinda want to go back to my country roots would like to find a place on the outskirts of town with a little size to it. Anyway ways I would love to hear any info you have.

Go Broncos
See ya soon.

You're about 20 years too late homey. 20 years or so ago we called it "dogmont" for various reasons.

keep trying.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM
dogmont... lol... now it's a "busy" dogmont. lulz.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:48 PM
lol

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 09:49 PM
We are looking for something with around 100k population or no larger then 350 k with surrounding area. Never thought about what schools are good before but since were going to start a family i guess this is important now. WOW gut check, thanks. Looked at ft Collins but most things said it was a college town and i will have a automotive shop. No offenses but college kids are broke and there parents always think your taking advantage of them. Also it seemed like a long ways to drive for games. Are we wrong? Oh and housing seemed outrageous there.

While CSU is in Collins, it doesn't define it. Its big enough to overshadow the college kids. Yes, housing is expensive there because it has the best schools in the state, and overall is the best the state has to offer. Tons of tech people there (who have tons of cash), so think about that too. Teachers want to teach there, people want to raise kids there.

It is a good blend of conservative and liberal (Boulder is too liberal, Greeley & CO springs are too conservative). Add 15-20 mins to driving to the games, but a fairly easy drive. It is close to the mountains (Estes Park is beautiful, camping, etc). Truly, Collins is one of the best Colorado has to offer. Its only 150k of people, tons of tech jobs as previously mentioned, best schools, and A LOT of breweries :)

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:53 PM
There's really no major differences in any of the towns between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins (on the west side of I-crappy-25), it's all one long, crappy, crappy, crappy suburban hell hole.

GET USED TO IT!

theAPAOps5
01-21-2013, 09:53 PM
It's right up on the foothills, short drive to Estes park, Rocky Mountain National Park and tons of open space. It's just up the road from Boulder but isn't the same atmosphere. It's definitely eclectic but plenty of people from all groups. Lots of hi-tech presence there like Western Digital, IBM, and numerous others.

Make sure you let the board know when your shop is up and running. I will definitely throw work your way and know more than a few people who live up that way.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm in Greeley, looking to get closer to Collins in the next couple years, but still haven't found a trustworthy mechanic. Hell, I still drive to Loveland for any work. I'd be willing to give you a shot, wouldn't really extend my drive much for it.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:56 PM
It's right up on the foothills, short drive to Estes park, Rocky Mountain National Park and tons of open space. It's just up the road from Boulder but isn't the same atmosphere. It's definitely eclectic but plenty of people from all groups. Lots of hi-tech presence there like Western Digital, IBM, and numerous others.

Make sure you let the board know when your shop is up and running. I will definitely throw work your way and know more than a few people who live up that way.

nope, it's really not. You will have to drive so that is true.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 09:58 PM
There's really no major differences in any of the towns between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins (on the west side of I-crappy-25), it's all one long, crappy, crappy, crappy suburban hell hole.

GET USED TO IT!

Quite a big difference between Springs and Collins imho.

Home values in Collins are almost twice as much. Schooling in Springs is not great, they switched to paying teachers on incentive basis (sign of bad achievement), its much more conservative, bigger, no big tech company draw, and its ugly as hell.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 09:59 PM

LOL

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Quite a big difference between Springs and Collins imho.

Home values in Collins are almost twice as much. Schooling in Springs is not great, they switched to paying teachers on incentive basis (sign of bad achievement), its much more conservative, bigger, no big tech company draw, and its ugly as hell.

I lived in both towns and the difference is negligable. Ft. Collins is is taking the dumpoff from Denver and Boulder, not exactly a good thing.

theAPAOps5
01-21-2013, 10:02 PM

You are stupid as **** aren't you? It actually is.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:02 PM
LOL

Well it's better than Greely no doubt. I mean, you can see the foothills from dogmont so that's good. Not so much from Greely.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:04 PM

Well, he did just basically say Collins and Springs are identical....

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:05 PM

Nah, I actually lived there.

theAPAOps5
01-21-2013, 10:05 PM
Dogmont wasn't really that funny the first time you said it, and 10 times later..... Still dumb.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Well it's better than Greely no doubt. I mean, you can see the foothills from dogmont so that's good. Not so much from Greely.

Well, I live and Greeley, and I wouldn't move to Longmont without some sort of big incentive. Mountain view not enough.

theAPAOps5
01-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Nah, I actually lived there.

So did I, dumbass.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Colorado Springs is right on the Eastern Slope, Souther Colorado Springs hugs the mountains just like Boulder is right up on the foothills. Dogmont not so much.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:07 PM
I love how we're fighting about which city is worse. Hey Tomb, how about you suggest some place for him instead of him rethinking moving here entirely.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
So did I, dumbass.

why are you getting so bent out of shape for me saying that dogmon... err, longmont is not "up on the foothills" when it's not?

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:08 PM
Colorado Springs is right on the Eastern Slope, Souther Colorado Springs hugs the mountains just like Boulder is right up on the foothills. Dogmont not so much.

Again, no one here is trying to say Longmont is worth a crap. We're telling him if he's going North and wants a smaller town, then Collins is a better choice than Longmont. Keep up.

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:10 PM
why are you getting so bent out of shape for me saying that dogmon... err, longmont is not "up on the foothills" when it's not?

Pretty sure he was talking about Collins, doubt IBM is in crappy Longmont. Maybe I'm wrong though.???

Cosmo
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Pretty sure he was talking about Collins, doubt IBM is in crappy Longmont. Maybe I'm wrong though.???

Oh Hell, he probably was talking about Longmont. Western Digital mentioned......

Meh, oh well, Longmont is boring. Closer to Mountains or not.

MagicHef
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I have never heard anyone call it just "Collins" before.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM

Go Broncos
See ya soon.

If it wasn't for me you'd be living in fuggen Pueblo. I had to warn you about that place. Small town, no, Longmont is not a "small town" in that it's part of the westside I-25 corridor which IMHO is one long suburban stretch from Ft. Fun up north down to CS down south. You go farther south from CS and you'll hit Pueblo which is the armpit of CO.

If you like traffic, and having access to some major arteries that will get you to Denver, Boulder, Ft. Fun then Longmont may be your place. I really don't think there's a whole helluva lot of difference between Longmont and Loveland other than Loveland is closer to Ft. Fun which is probably more your style anyway.

I dunno, maybe try Lafayette? It's been a long time since I was there but it's like a suburb of Boulder. Similar to Longmont in some ways but I think it would have more potential and you are closer to Denver.

whatever, don't listen to me, what the hell do I know right? I moved AWAY from CO.

MagicHef
01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
I lived in both towns and the difference is negligable. Ft. Collins is is taking the dumpoff from Denver and Boulder, not exactly a good thing.

Where did you live in FC?

SouthStndJunkie
01-21-2013, 10:31 PM
While CSU is in Collins, it doesn't define it. Its big enough to overshadow the college kids. Yes, housing is expensive there because it has the best schools in the state, and overall is the best the state has to offer. Tons of tech people there (who have tons of cash), so think about that too. Teachers want to teach there, people want to raise kids there.

It is a good blend of conservative and liberal (Boulder is too liberal, Greeley & CO springs are too conservative). Add 15-20 mins to driving to the games, but a fairly easy drive. It is close to the mountains (Estes Park is beautiful, camping, etc). Truly, Collins is one of the best Colorado has to offer. Its only 150k of people, tons of tech jobs as previously mentioned, best schools, and A LOT of breweries :)

I agree....I lived in Loveland for a little while and then Fort Collins and really enjoyed the area.

I love me some college towns, but Fort Collins is more than just a college town.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Where did you live in FC?

Mulberry lane, next to campus.

SouthStndJunkie
01-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Tombstone....where do you live in the Tetons?

MagicHef
01-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Mulberry lane, next to campus.

It's Mulberry Street. Mulberry Lane is a band.

http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/m/u/mulberrylane366480.jpg

How exactly is that area the same as Colorado Springs?

Uncle Bill
01-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I have never heard anyone call it just "Collins" before.

Me neither. Spent the first 18 years of my life in Greeley, then spent the next 5 or 6 years in Ft. Collins, so I'm very familiar with the area. Never once have I heard it referred to as "Collins". Maybe "Ft. Fun" or something stupid like that, but never "Collins".

I would agree with most of the other posters, in that Greeley sucks. However, you can clearly see the mountains from there, so I don't know where that comment came from. The views of Longs Peak from Boomerang Links, for example, are pretty impressive. I would also say that the schools probably aren't anything out of the ordinary, but they are far from bad (I live in Chicago now, which probably has the worst public schools in the country, so maybe my viewpoint is a bit skewed).

Regarding Longmont, I've spent a lot of time there over the last 5 or 6 years, as my mom lives there now. It is absolutely NOT in the foothills, although it is right on the edge (similar to Ft. Collins). It's a decent, quiet little town, but nothing special compared to anything else on the Front Range.

In all honesty, I agree with another poster who said that all of the towns up and down I-25 between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins are about the same (except for Denver and Boulder). They all have ample Home Depots, movie theaters, Applebee's, etc., and little in the way of stores/restaurants/architecture with any kind of character. But the people are pretty down to earth, the weather is amazing, and you're always a half hour from the hills. I can't speak with much authority regarding real estate prices, but outside of Boulder (which is ungodly expensive), I have a hard time believing prices are too different along the I-25 corridor. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Lastly, although Ft. Collins is definitely a "college town", it's big enough that it's not defined by CSU. I agree with others that it's one of the better all-around options, but beware that traffic is surprisingly horrible.

Good luck with the move. I can't tell you how much I'd like to make it back there for good someday. You won't go wrong wherever you wind up...

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:57 PM
It's Mulberry Street. Mulberry Lane is a band.

http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/m/u/mulberrylane366480.jpg

How exactly is that area the same as Colorado Springs?

lol, yep. I said the difference is negligable. Colorado Springs has CC!! I kid. Ft. Collins/Loveland are better options than Longmont. If I'm living in Longmont I might as well just live in a suburb of Denver like Lakewood or Westminster or something (or Lafayette). I dunno, maybe I was spoiled growing up in Colorado and I'm just picky.

check out Gunbarrel, that used to be a sleepy little no name town with lots of stoners but now, it's probably pretty expensive too. But as long as you are looking at Longmont, might as well check out the barrel too.

Cosmo
01-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Me neither. Spent the first 18 years of my life in Greeley, then spent the next 5 or 6 years in Ft. Collins, so I'm very familiar with the area. Never once have I heard it referred to as "Collins". Maybe "Ft. Fun" or something stupid like that, but never "Collins".

I would agree with most of the other posters, in that Greeley sucks. However, you can clearly see the mountains from there, so I don't know where that comment came from. The views of Longs Peak from Boomerang Links, for example, are pretty impressive. I would also say that the schools probably aren't anything out of the ordinary, but they are far from bad (I live in Chicago now, which probably has the worst public schools in the country, so maybe my viewpoint is a bit skewed).

Regarding Longmont, I've spent a lot of time there over the last 5 or 6 years, as my mom lives there now. It is absolutely NOT in the foothills, although it is right on the edge (similar to Ft. Collins). It's a decent, quiet little town, but nothing special compared to anything else on the Front Range.

In all honesty, I agree with another poster who said that all of the towns up and down I-25 between Colorado Springs and Ft. Collins are about the same (except for Denver and Boulder). They all have ample Home Depots, movie theaters, Applebee's, etc., and little in the way of stores/restaurants/architecture with any kind of character. But the people are pretty down to earth, the weather is amazing, and you're always a half hour from the hills. I can't speak with much authority regarding real estate prices, but outside of Boulder (which is ungodly expensive), I have a hard time believing prices are too different along the I-25 corridor. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Lastly, although Ft. Collins is definitely a "college town", it's big enough that it's not defined by CSU. I agree with others that it's one of the better all-around options, but beware that traffic is surprisingly horrible.

Good luck with the move. I can't tell you how much I'd like to make it back there for good someday. You won't go wrong wherever you wind up...

You've seriously never heard it called Collins? Wow. Must be only a Northern Colorado thing then, cause I barely hear anyone say Fort Collins.

Archer81
01-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Its where Mont's are Long. Clearly.

:Broncos:

Cosmo
01-22-2013, 12:18 AM
Yeah, traffic can suck in Fort Collins (I'll try to refrain from calling it Collins I guess), but you want more car problems, right? lol.

Anyways, the closer you get to Boulder, the pricer things get, the closer you get to Fort Collins, the pricer things get. Generally speaking, housing prices speak volumes about where you live. Boulder is so liberal and crazy, I personally want nothing to do with it. Fort Collins is the moderate safe haven of the North. Again, I live in Greeley, came here for the cheap housing. Schools aren't great because of the migrant working force here (Meat packing plant). Loveland isn't getting as much love as it should, its a bit quieter than Fort Collins, but it does have appeal.

Here is an number you may like. Fort Collins has a $5,000 more income average per year than Longmont. You may also want to look up numbers about growth.

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Yeah, traffic can suck in Fort Collins (I'll try to refrain from calling it Collins I guess), but you want more car problems, right? lol.

Anyways, the closer you get to Boulder, the pricer things get, the closer you get to Fort Collins, the pricer things get. Generally speaking, housing prices speak volumes about where you live. Boulder is so liberal and crazy, I personally want nothing to do with it. Fort Collins is the moderate safe haven of the North. Again, I live in Greeley, came here for the cheap housing. Schools aren't great because of the migrant working force here (Meat packing plant). Loveland isn't getting as much love as it should, its a bit quieter than Fort Collins, but it does have appeal.

Here is an number you may like. Fort Collins has a $5,000 more income average per year than Longmont. You may also want to look up numbers about growth.
I have looked at the numbers and that was one down part about Fort Collins. If the economy is too good my job suffers because rather then repair what they have they just trade it in for a new car. That or they drive BMW'S oe Mercedes neither of which i like to work on because they're **** buckets and wiring nightmares. Its horrible to say but bad economies to some degree help my business.

You know I've made a thread awhile back for free advice on your cars to all OM people with over 1000 posts.

Check me out at Portland's yelp. (Hookset Automotive) or Google me.

Meck77
01-22-2013, 05:55 AM
I dunno, maybe try Lafayette? It's been a long time since I was there but it's like a suburb of Boulder. Similar to Longmont in some ways but I think it would have more potential and you are closer to Denver.

I like that idea. I boil it down like this. You are either living in the mountains or you are living in the front range . Or you have lost your mind or plan on losing your mind then hit the eastern plains.

If you are in the front and want a smaller town feel you mine as well have decent access to Denver (Broncos)/Mountains/Denver Airport.

hades
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
I grew up in Ft Colinns, but moved to Texas in '85. Funny, when I lived there, Denver did seem far away. It was an hour + drive. Now, it seems like it is close by!

Here in good ole Ft Worth, I live 25 miles from work, takes me an hour to drive it with traffic. When I lived in FTC and worked in Denver, it took just over an hour, and was twice as far!

Of course, traffic is heavier now, so there's that...

My vote is FTC/Berthoud/Loveland. Benefits of a big town (lots choices on thngs to do, more people), but still has that small town feel to it.

Anyone familiar with Berthoud and know where Dean's Furniture is? That used to be my Grandpa's body shop years ago! He retired and sold it to the furniture guy, then passed away shortly after retiring. I spent a lot of time in Berthoud as a kid, and at the old A&W on the west end of town.

crush17
01-22-2013, 09:38 AM
Ft. Collins is better than Longmont.

Natedogg
01-22-2013, 09:53 AM
Fort Collins born and raised. Eventually left because I wanted a big city. But for a medium city its a terrific place. And of course, it has this:

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1007/663383250_9e0e1fe2b3.jpg

Meck77
01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Fort Collins born and raised. Eventually left because I wanted a big city. But for a medium city its a terrific place. And of course, it has this:

And now you are a darn Russkie! WTF!

Hades...and other 1 hr commuters to work. Check this link out. http://www.commuteinfo.org/comm_calc.shtml

It's an estimator that will help you realize how much that commute is actually costing you. You might be surprised!

The people at RTD/Fastracks have sold the front rangers a $6-$8 billion dollar tax and told us it would help traffic. Wonder what the cost estimator would say about each choo choo train ride to the tax payer thus far. We're talking BILLIONS AND BILLIONS for something that maybe tens of thousands of people use.

Meanwhile FEES to ride continually go up and what was once good bus service is continually being slashed to try and make up budget short falls. Good ole government efficiency....

I tried to warn the people of Boulder that a DIESEL commuter train was headed through their town. You see they were sold "light rail". They are getting a big ass dirty, smelly TRAIN. It's going to rip through their once quiet town multiple times per hour and thugs like me from Aurora will be able to ride in and cause havoc to their little tree hugging town! East side! Woot!

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 11:41 AM

http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1007/663383250_9e0e1fe2b3.jpg

I like to park it in the back sometimes too. ( sorry had to be said. )

Cosmo
01-22-2013, 12:43 PM
I like to park it in the back sometimes too. ( sorry had to be said. )

So, have our suggestions made you reconsider or are you still thinking Longmont for both business & living?

When do you plan on getting out here and scoping out the turf?

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 01:03 PM
So, have our suggestions made you reconsider or are you still thinking Longmont for both business & living?

When do you plan on getting out here and scoping out the turf?

We are hoping to make it out there in May for 10 days to check everything out.

You do have us reconsidering FT Collins. Still a little worried about it though. Like I said, I repair cars and if people make too much they don't fix them they just trade them in for knew ones.

I checked into the fishing up there and it seemed pretty surreal. Camping, Fishing/Boating and Hunting are what we do. We are Portland transplants from Southern Idaho. The potato part not the skinhead part. No we are not LDS either. We just are not big city people. I spent a lot of time on this business and am happy to say it is going to sell for a good price. This is nice because it will pay for the move and starting up a new shop without all the worries. Looking to start a family so we want a place were are kids can run in the front yard without a bum asking them for change if you know what I mean.

Thank you all very much BTW. Your info has been great. It really helps. Hey hows the Pheasant hunting in N. CO ?

Fedaykin
01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
We are hoping to make it out there in May for 10 days to check everything out.

You do have us reconsidering FT Collins. Still a little worried about it though. Like I said, I repair cars and if people make too much they don't fix them they just trade them in for knew ones.

Last time I was there, it was difficult to find a decent shop. Ft. Collins is a pretty affluent town. Uncommon to see a car > 10 years old on the road except the college kids. The dealerships make a killing doing things like charging $300 in labor for a one axle shock job.

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Last time I was there, it was difficult to find a decent shop. Ft. Collins is a pretty affluent town. Uncommon to see a car > 10 years old on the road except the college kids. The dealerships make a killing doing things like charging $300 in labor for a one axle shock job.

This is what worries me. No car older then 10 years.

Cosmo
01-22-2013, 02:39 PM
This is what worries me. No car older then 10 years.

Isn't Colorado the lowest state of vehicles per capita? Sorry, that probably doesn't help you :(

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 02:51 PM
Isn't Colorado the lowest state of vehicles per capita? Sorry, that probably doesn't help you :(

No worse then Portland Public trans, best in the country. Some people have never even had a drivers license here. I also have to admit its pretty funny when they stop in here so I can show them how to put gas in there vehicles.

milehighJC
01-22-2013, 03:03 PM
Ive lived in Longmont since the spring of '93. We moved there from the Midwest. There are are plenty of pros/cons to Longmont, but generally it is a nice town with good people (and some VERY good craft beer) I live on the Northwest side - I love the location, and the schools have been very good (My son did VERY well at CO school of Mines in a tough program). The weather is awesome, the traffic is not bad, its close enough to Denver to easily take advantage of all it has to offer.

Two of my daughters live in Ft Collins, one that went to CSU, and another that is still in school there. Ive spent a lot of time there too - also a VERY nice place.

Happy to share more thoughts or answer any questions you might have, but Ill pass on the name calling and imperatives. Feel free to PM me...

Irish Stout
01-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Ft. Collins is a great town with really friendly people and some of the easiest closest access to the hills and mountains. Its only an hour from Denver. However, Money magazine ran an article back in 2003 or so about it being the best small city in America and it held that title for several years and now its a bit congested and definitely more crowded then it used to be. The majority of people who live there are not college kids, and between the populace you probably have 50/50 blue collar to white collar people. The food scene and beer scene are tops.

Longmont is a rougher town, but its 12 minutes out of Boulder and has grown up a bit with northern Colorado. Businesses there seem to have had a lot of ups and downs over the past thirty years, but it is starting to shown some stabilization. Oskar Blues and Left Hand Breweries are rocking it out in the beer world, but there isn't a ton of stuff to do there on a Friday night. Longmont is about 25-35 minutes from Denver depending on traffic. You're going to have a hard time finding some land to buy at a great price in or just outside of Longmont as you are in Boulder County which has done a lot to protect open space and increased prices throughout the County.

You can always find some decent homes and prices in Erie, Firestone or Frederick... though I can't speak to the quality of life. Really depends what you're looking for. I've got family and friends who live in Erie and love it... little too much country plus suburbia for me. I know Meck offered, but if you want to touch base with a realtor for that area let me know. I have a cousin who focuses between Lafayette and Longmont.

Good luck to you!

Cosmo
01-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Ft. Collins is a great town with really friendly people and some of the easiest closest access to the hills and mountains. Its only an hour from Denver. However, Money magazine ran an article back in 2003 or so about it being the best small city in America and it held that title for several years and now its a bit congested and definitely more crowded then it used to be. The majority of people who live there are not college kids, and between the populace you probably have 50/50 blue collar to white collar people. The food scene and beer scene are tops.

Longmont is a rougher town, but its 12 minutes out of Boulder and has grown up a bit with northern Colorado. Businesses there seem to have had a lot of ups and downs over the past thirty years, but it is starting to shown some stabilization. Oskar Blues and Left Hand Breweries are rocking it out in the beer world, but there isn't a ton of stuff to do there on a Friday night. Longmont is about 25-35 minutes from Denver depending on traffic. You're going to have a hard time finding some land to buy at a great price in or just outside of Longmont as you are in Boulder County which has done a lot to protect open space and increased prices throughout the County.

You can always find some decent homes and prices in Erie, Firestone or Frederick... though I can't speak to the quality of life. Really depends what you're looking for. I've got family and friends who live in Erie and love it... little too much country plus suburbia for me. I know Meck offered, but if you want to touch base with a realtor for that area let me know. I have a cousin who focuses between Lafayette and Longmont.

Good luck to you!

Has Lafayette cleaned up their little problem with Meth? It used to be the Meth center of the state, but I don't know enough about the city to say it hasn't been taken care of. I mean, Greeley is still known to stink and have gang problems, but both are much much better now. Only problem now is that its still Greeley, lol.

scorpio
01-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Check your PMs Quoydog

Quoydogs
01-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Check your PMs Quoydog

Thanks

hades
01-22-2013, 08:18 PM
And now you are a darn Russkie! WTF!

Hades...and other 1 hr commuters to work. Check this link out. http://www.commuteinfo.org/comm_calc.shtml

It's an estimator that will help you realize how much that commute is actually costing you. You might be surprised!

Sadly, I know I spend a ton on gas, but I still drive a V8 with loud, dual exhaust! :~ohyah!:
Luckily, several years ago my boss said we each can work from home one day a week to help save gas, so I only commute 4 days a week.