PDA

View Full Version : Wel-come-ker to Denver?

txtebow
01-21-2013, 07:04 AM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/21/patriots-welker-not-thinking-about-future/

Before the dust could even setting from their 28-13 loss to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game, “what’s next” was already being asked of the New England Patriots.

That question is echoing loudest when it comes to receiver Wes Welker, who is set to become a free agent. Welker played the 2012 season under the franchise tag, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement on an extension prior to the season.

Welker in the slot, decker, Thomas outside and a rookie speedster as our#4...now pick up a RB in round 2 or 3 and let's finish what we started....

Rulon Velvet Jones
01-21-2013, 07:14 AM
That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.

txtebow
01-21-2013, 07:20 AM
That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.

indeed. My bad

BroncoSojia
01-21-2013, 07:27 AM
I think he would cost too much money for what he would do here. No thanks.

BroncoInferno
01-21-2013, 07:33 AM
We aren't going to give Welker $9 million a season when we already have two younger starters coming off big seasons.

go_broncos
01-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Already we have players and coaches that disappear in playoffs.
Welker is another type of player that just doesn't play well during playoffs.
Lot of drops..

We need a RB, DT and a safety.

RhymesayersDU
01-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Bring him in for a look.

Pick Six
01-21-2013, 08:54 AM
I have a feeling that Stokley wants to retire at the same time Manning retires. We definitely need to focus on the slot. I would be in favor of picking up a slot receiver, in the later draft rounds...

jerseyboiler120
01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:03 AM
no

Heyneck
01-21-2013, 09:06 AM
pass

spdirty
01-21-2013, 09:08 AM
People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.

Mediator12
01-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can ;D

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:23 AM
not for the $ he will want.

broncocalijohn
01-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Bring him in for a look.

Don't forget, "He would break off 2k in our system!"

Also, I would pass because I really think Caldwell will come around this coming season. :yayaya:

TheReverend
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.

bronco militia
01-21-2013, 09:30 AM

This.

spdirty
01-21-2013, 09:32 AM

My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space, and need to resign clady, bruton, carter, etc. Clady will cost around 10-12 mil, so I don't know. Someone needs to do some cap magic and quite a few players will need to restructure for us to pull this off. Id love to see this happen but given this franchises history of not going after the big free agents makes me doubt we will go for him.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2013, 09:40 AM
My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space, and need to resign clady, bruton, carter, etc. Clady will cost around 10-12 mil, so I don't know. Someone needs to do some cap magic and quite a few players will need to restructure for us to pull this off. Id love to see this happen but given this franchises history of not going after the big free agents makes me doubt we will go for him.

Teams work that magic, but I tend to agree it won't be a spending free for all. But I wouldn't rule out one big signing

BroncoLifer
01-21-2013, 09:41 AM
Bring him in for a look.

To give Prater some competition?

Gutless Drunk
01-21-2013, 09:46 AM
My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space,

Don't want Welker but we could always cut this guy:

https://twitter.com/DjWilliam55

TheReverend
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM

The cap is an illusion.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.

You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.

broncocalijohn
01-21-2013, 09:54 AM

In order to follow the lead of blowing 96 and then winning two Super Bowls, we need to do some cap cheating obviously. Also, we are going to let some of those free agents go very soon and save money instantly.

spdirty
01-21-2013, 10:03 AM
In order to follow the lead of blowing 96 and then winning two Super Bowls, we need to do some cap cheating obviously. Also, we are going to let some of those free agents go very soon and save money instantly.

Well I think the only way to get around it is to restructure some guys and pay them cash under the table. That's my only idea.

Maybe enlist bronco buff to start a secret fundraiser or something. Then of course we might need to teach them how to launder the money. Have them buy a car wash or something.

DBroncos4life
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.

You say that like he likes BB.

broncocalijohn
01-21-2013, 10:36 AM

You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.

You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/21/3899378/wes-welker-patriots-future-contract-uncertain-2013

Pick Six
01-21-2013, 10:42 AM
You do realize how the Patriots treat their free agents? There is a good chance they won't pay the money that he wants. Kraft is a cheap ass to some of his hard working players. BB and crew always had the idea of reloading with less paid FA or draft picks. Some came because of their winning ways and wanted a piece of it . Problem is lately the Patriots have not been scoring on their draft picks and will possibly start over paying to keep players or to bring them in when they aren't home grown. Interesting to see what they do with not only Welker but the other 22 free agents on their roster. It includes not only Wes but Talib, Edelman and Vollmer.

You want to know what the Pats face if they go the Franchise tag again on him? http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/21/3899378/wes-welker-patriots-future-contract-uncertain-2013

Robert Kraft is broke...:sunshine:

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 10:46 AM

I see your point and agree. My point is the Pats window is also closing, perhaps not as fast as the Broncos with Manning but it's also closing. The question is who will Brady want back? If Welker is his security blanket then I'm thinking he's one of the FAs they bring back. I might be 100% wrong of course. If the Broncos can get Welker and keep their core FAs and beef up the defensive line then great!

rbackfactory80
01-21-2013, 10:52 AM
In big games lately he hasn't played well.

You could link him directly to their last two big game losses.

Everyone remembers the catch he probably should have caught in the Superbowl. Wasn't the best thrown ball but it did hit his hands.

Last night after he got whacked by Pollard, he had a chance make a huge 3rd down reception that hit him right in the chest and he dropped it scared he was going to get whacked again. We need more power players, not finesse guys.

DBroncos4life
01-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I see your point and agree. My point is the Pats window is also closing, perhaps not as fast as the Broncos with Manning but it's also closing. The question is who will Brady want back? If Welker is his security blanket then I'm thinking he's one of the FAs they bring back. I might be 100% wrong of course. If the Broncos can get Welker and keep their core FAs and beef up the defensive line then great!

They started using Elderman more before he got hurt. He is a FA and also younger. I'm pretty positive BB and Welker don't get along either. Welker was in the doghouse to begin the season according to most people, now he has that playoff drops this year. I don't think he is coming back there at a discounted rate just to be dicked along by BB again.

Lestat
01-21-2013, 11:10 AM
no way we bring in Welker unless he signs for 5-7 mil. he's one of the best WR's and the best slot in the NFL. he's older but he likely won't settle for less than he was franchised for this past season.
9-10 mil for a slot is a lot of money when we have multiple holes on D and need a RB.

Tombstone RJ
01-21-2013, 11:48 AM
They started using Elderman more before he got hurt. He is a FA and also younger. I'm pretty positive BB and Welker don't get along either. Welker was in the doghouse to begin the season according to most people, now he has that playoff drops this year. I don't think he is coming back there at a discounted rate just to be dicked along by BB again.

You might be right, maybe Welker takes less money to come to the Broncos? :~ohyah!:

Traveler
01-21-2013, 01:20 PM
WR is fine IMO. The best way to help Manning and the offense is to upgrade the running game.

At present, we pose opposing defenses "difficulty" with our passing game. No so much with our running game.

Until such time our running game can be counted on to make defenses respect it as equally as Peyton & our Wr's, we'll see endings in the playoffs similar to that against the Ravens.

This offense is too one dimensional.

jutang
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Losing McGahee anf knowshon made the broncos one dimensional. Either of those backs would have made a huge difference in the Ravens game.

The broncos become even stronger while making the Patriots weaker. The FO needs to make a solid push to at least make it costlier for the Patriots to retain Welker.

Bacchus
01-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Bring him in for a look.

NO

Bacchus
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.

This

extralife
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
just not worth it for us. we're going to have to pay DT and Decker in the next couple years, you don't pay Welker 9 million to play slot in that same time span. if we're going to spend real money anywhere, it should probably be on a front seven player. we need another receiver, I think, but more of a depth guy. keep in mind we're not even lining up three wide every play (even the teams that do it the most are like 75% and we like two TE sets)

DBroncos4life
01-21-2013, 07:29 PM
My god people Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL. Then look at the money we spent on DTs the last year. Tell me we are going to use the money on DTs I could use a laugh. Beadles is on his way to the Pro Bowl and Kuper is fat paid right now. We will not bring in another FA OG unless he is a back up making back up money. Are we going to spend FA money on a MLB? Not with the players out there. Look at the value of the FAs people.

Requiem
01-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Demaryius and Decker will deserve raises if they perform at optimum levels next season. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos consider allocating whatever resources they can in the extensions of one, if not both of them this off-season. They will have that additional rollover which translated into some decent cap space. We have contracts that could be shed from players who were injured, suspended or outplayed by other people. I still think extending Clady is prime.

I just don't see adding a profile player like Welker as our highest priority this off-season. Would I love to have Wes Welker for a championship run? Yes. Just not sure if we allocate our resources that way. I wonder if Stokes stays around for another year. I certainly think that we can do much better in our passing attack than Willis or Caldwell can offer as #4 and #5 guys. Get a guy in the draft.

loborugger
01-21-2013, 07:43 PM
No one has pointed out addition by subtraction. If he is in Denver, then he isn't in NE. If we show interest in him, at least that means NE will have to shell out more for his services. I don't see a downside to the guy if the cap geniuses can fit him in. Additionally, he is 5 years younger than Stokley.

BroncoBen
01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/21/patriots-welker-not-thinking-about-future/

Welker in the slot, decker, Thomas outside and a rookie speedster as our#4...now pick up a RB in round 2 or 3 and let's finish what we started....

yeah.. I don't think WR is a need position for the Broncos, they can draft a younger slot receiver in the draft. Besides Welker would cost to much.. $$ would be better spent on keeping our own.. Vikerson comes to mind.

lonestar
01-21-2013, 08:14 PM
People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.

we currently have just over 35 players under contract for 2013 I say afew as we signed a couple of guys the day after we lost..

but the means we have to sign about 25+ more throughout the season next year just to fill the roster spots plus the number that hit IR each year..

so about 25 spots for the 18.5 mil we have available for players, under the cap IF Pat allows John to spend it all..

Please folks do not drool over players we will not be able to afford not even sure we will be able to bring clady back under those guidelines..

colonelbeef
01-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't need Welker. Defense, defense, more defense. Safety help, CB help, LB help, Dline help.

Build around Miller, Wolfe, Doom. The offense needs a little tweaking, maybe an upgrade at RB, but definitely not an 11 million a year slot receiver.

UberBroncoMan
01-21-2013, 08:49 PM
We don't have the money. We were #2 in scoring this year. I'd like a stronger defense.

Bacchus
01-21-2013, 09:16 PM
My god people Welker is the best slot WR in the NFL. Then look at the money we spent on DTs the last year. Tell me we are going to use the money on DTs I could use a laugh. Beadles is on his way to the Pro Bowl and Kuper is fat paid right now. We will not bring in another FA OG unless he is a back up making back up money. Are we going to spend FA money on a MLB? Not with the players out there. Look at the value of the FAs people.

Re-sign own players and build through the draft, don't need or want Welker.

lonestar
01-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't need Welker. Defense, defense, more defense. Safety help, CB help, LB help, Dline help.

Build around Miller, Wolfe, Doom. The offense needs a little tweaking, maybe an upgrade at RB, but definitely not an 11 million a year slot receiver.

:thumbs:

we would have a dynamic LB corps if we had a stud or for that matter a very good MLB.. WW and Von are a couple of the best in the NFL just need a good to great MLB that plugs the middle give me another alwilson when he could tackle.

however with a stud DT to go with Ayers, doom, Wolf and maybe another real BIGGIE in the middle our DL would be stellar and great front seven..

A DL that can that can pressure the QB without loads of blitzes.. But bu throwing one in every once in a while we can create turnovers..

as Lou Saban used to say "live by the blitz die by the blitz"..

SlyEli
01-21-2013, 11:03 PM
I have been advocating welker for a while. Big issue with the offense in the playoff game was getting the short passing game working, guys were having trouble getting open. Welker can get open better than stokley.

I think the broncos have enough cap room to resign their bigs, as well as nab a coupe marquee guys in free agency. Welker and a guy like william moore at safety would shore up a lot offensively and defensively.

Middle linebacker is a need but I just don't see who they fill it with. Tight end could be better, I think dreessen is just average.

lonestar
01-21-2013, 11:15 PM
I have been advocating welker for a while. Big issue with the offense in the playoff game was getting the short passing game working, guys were having trouble getting open. Welker can get open better than stokley.

I think the broncos have enough cap room to resign their bigs, as well as nab a coupe marquee guys in free agency. Welker and a guy like william moore at safety would shore up a lot offensively and defensively.

Middle linebacker is a need but I just don't see who they fill it with. Tight end could be better, I think dreessen is just average.

with less than 40 players under contract for 2013.. knowing we have to get to 53 plus all those that wind up on IR, all of which have to fit under the salary cap.. since we only have 18.5 mil as we speak to sign all of these guys about 20 (13+, plus an average 7 guys on IR).. just how are you going to afford a couple of marque guys?

nyuk nyuk
01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
https://twitter.com/DjWilliam55

Where are her parents? How horrifying.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Am i the only one hoping Tavon austin can come and play the slot here?

nyuk nyuk
01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I've been waiting word for a resigning of Stokey, though I don't know how many more years he has in him. Peyton loves him, what more reason do we need to keep him?

nyuk nyuk
01-21-2013, 11:24 PM
We don't have the money. We were #2 in scoring this year. I'd like a stronger defense.

I agree though I'm worried about the health of our offensive backfield. McGahee is getting up there.

DBroncos4life
01-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Re-sign own players and build through the draft, don't need or want Welker.

I'm willing to bet you don't even know who the highest paid DT on our team was last year. Also with the % of snaps that our starting 3 DTs rotated last year had a combined salary total of a whopping 2.6 million dollars between them should show you what you need to understand about how Denver spends money. Toss in Wolfe's contract and you are STILL below 3 million dollars for 4 DTs. That is the base contracts. Vickerson 1.875, Bannan 1, Unrein 415K, and Wolfe 957K. Is the total with bonuses of our DT rotation. Don't count on it getting much higher this year either because of our scheme.

Denver will resign its own players and still sign a skill player you can pretty much take that to the bank.

Hulamau
01-21-2013, 11:36 PM
ELway will follow the formula that led to back to back SB wins .. we are already beginning to rewrite that script almost to a 'T' with season #1!

Add a definite improvement at the thunder RB spot for a mainstay with a backup capable of holding his own and keeping the O on track should RB1 go down for any length of time. Include a beefed -up Hillman as the speed burner with a full offseason and camp under his belt with Peyton in year 2 and I expect to see major improvements from him with 12 to 15 touches a game in both the run and play action/screen pass game. Just not counting on him being a major pass protect guy for Peyton.

Shore up the secondary and find Champs replacement in the draft, though Champ should be fine at CB for one more year before any consideration of him movign to Safety happened. He had one bad half this year, unfortunately at the wrong time, but he basically shut down Smith in the second half after adjustments.

A middleLB either in Nate Irving if he can continue to improve, but more likely from another draft pick or FA is a must and two more solid Dline prospects split between a top 3 round draft pick and a solid FA.

Adding in a few backup Oline guys that are a good fit and another real solid slot guy to trade off with Stoke and we are good to go all the way.

Archer81
01-21-2013, 11:55 PM
March seems so far away...

:Broncos:

ZONA
01-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Welker is a great WR but I'd say no to spending 8+ million for the guy. Think we can add a nice young speedy slot guy in the draft. Rather we sign a DT that can make a difference in the middle. If you have VonDoom on the edges, you have to push up the middle so the QB can't step up in the pocket and make the throws. And I don't mean a big worthless fat guy who can "plug" the middle, I want a guy who can push the pocket back and disrupt things inside.

ZONA
01-22-2013, 12:50 AM
A middleLB either in Nate Irving if he can continue to improve, but more likely from another draft pick or FA is a must and two more solid Dline prospects split between a top 3 round draft pick and a solid FA.

Yeah, I don't think Irving is the answer at MLB. He hasn't shown me anything really. He's had his chances and hasn't show much at all. IMO he's not much better then Mays. He's out of position often and doesn't tackle all that great. Definitely think we need to draft a nice MLB. It's been forever since we've had an AL Wilson type of guy shoring up the middle for us.

If there is something I think the 2 teams in the Superbowl have in common is that they both have really good LB's pretty much in all positions. I like Woody and Von but we need the other piece. Thought DJ could be that guy but I haven't really seen much from him since his return.

Our weakness is definitely right up the middle, from DT, to MLB, to Safety. TE's killed us, so did lack of pressure up the middle and eventually deep down the field. We need a DT, MLB and a Safety.

DENVERDUI55
01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm willing to bet you don't even know who the highest paid DT on our team was last year.

Ty Warren? Doom was compensated pretty well last year but he is DE.

DBroncos4life
01-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I don't think Irving is the answer at MLB. He hasn't shown me anything really. He's had his chances and hasn't show much at all. IMO he's not much better then Mays. He's out of position often and doesn't tackle all that great. Definitely think we need to draft a nice MLB. It's been forever since we've had an AL Wilson type of guy shoring up the middle for us.

If there is something I think the 2 teams in the Superbowl have in common is that they both have really good LB's pretty much in all positions. I like Woody and Von but we need the other piece. Thought DJ could be that guy but I haven't really seen much from him since his return.

Our weakness is definitely right up the middle, from DT, to MLB, to Safety. TE's killed us, so did lack of pressure up the middle and eventually deep down the field. We need a DT, MLB and a Safety.

Here is the biggest issue with our roster. Linebackers account for 13,954,082 million dollars of our cap from last year. That makes LB's the second highest paid group of our defense. Of our 4 major starters Woodyard, Travathan, Brooking, and Miller they accounted for just 7.649 million dollars of that number. That means the back ups accounted for 6,305,082 million dollars.

Now with the scheme we run we can cut DJ and Mays and still really only need one more starting LB because we need to replace Brooking at MLB. Cutting DJ and Mays saves about 10 million dollars give or take. All but one starting LB is under contract next year and the three starters account for 8,243,000 dollars. Depth still has Steven Johnson at 484,000 and Nate Irving at 728,725. That brings our total to 9,455,725 million with 4,498,357 to spare.

Drafting a MLB at most would cost us 1,200,000 for this season. Which is a possibility given who is a FA this year. Pretty sure that cap money is separate as well.

Also unless we change schemes I don't see Denver spending much more then the 3,505,000 on its rotation of DT's.

Sorry for the long read.

DBroncos4life
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Ty Warren? Doom was compensated pretty well last year but he is DE.

Base salary yes. Pretty sure he didn't reach any other bonus due to being hurt. He accounted for 1,500,000 million. Right now I could see Justin Bannan who made a million, Sammie Hill who made 1,260,000, Ma'ake Kemoeatu who made 540K after he lost a bonus or Ryan McBean who made just 1 million being brought in for our rotation next year.

TonyR
01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
Just a thought, but the Eagles may go 3-4 which would possibly make DeMeco Ryans available. Not known for being great in coverage but possibly better than anything we have? Owed $6.6 million in 2013.

cutthemdown
01-22-2013, 09:14 AM
If you can't throw to a wr like 7-10 times a game he isn't worth a huge contract. DT will get a huge deal in Denver when the time comes. if you wanted Welker to justify it you have to throw to him a ton. I just don't see broncos needing that.

I think more athletic TE and some more RB's would help manning more.

maven
01-22-2013, 09:14 AM

This.

Pretty much. We have 2-3 year run with Manning left. You do what you can to win now. I think the owner/organization is on board and realizes this. Win now while Denver has a legitimate chance.

Pick Six
01-22-2013, 09:17 AM
Am i the only one hoping Tavon austin can come and play the slot here?

Tavon Austin would be a perfect fit. Since West Virginia was horrible, down the stretch, I'm hoping that Austin will slide to us...:thumbsup:

Ray Finkle
01-22-2013, 09:19 AM
Just a thought, but the Eagles may go 3-4 which would possibly make DeMeco Ryans available. Not known for being great in coverage but possibly better than anything we have? Owed $6.6 million in 2013.

Brookings was better than Ryans this year. Both were a huge liability in coverage and Brookings made less. Ryans cannot run anymore.