PDA

View Full Version : Should we go after Steven Jackson?

Heyneck
01-18-2013, 05:30 PM
Return, retire or test free agency? Steven Jackson undecided

Rams running back Steven Jackson said before the Rams’ regular season finale that it was possible he might be preparing for his last NFL game. Three weeks later, he still says he isn’t sure if he’ll return to the Rams, leave in free agency or retire.

Jackson said on NFL Network that he expects to talk things over with the Rams before free agency begins in March.

“We’re going to sit down in this next coming month in February,” Jackson said. “Both sides have been very first-class about how we handle the situation. We’re going to talk about my possibilities, where I want to go and does it fit. I believe we’ll get everything resolved before March.”

If the Rams and Jackson don’t get something resolved, he’ll consider signing elsewhere, particularly if it’s with a team he thinks has a good chance of winning the Super Bowl. But he’ll also consider retirement, even though he’s only 29 and coming off a season in which he started all 16 games and topped 1,000 yards for the eighth straight year. Jackson believes there’s something to be said for walking away on your own terms.

“It’s a possibility for me to go into free agency and hopefully seek out that Lombardi trophy,” Jackson said. “Or even possibly going out like Barry Sanders. I’ve always admired that about Mr. Sanders.”

Jackson is actually a year younger than Sanders was when he retired, but he sounds like a man who’s satisfied with what he’s already accomplished on the football field. The way Jackson is talking, it wouldn’t be surprising if it turns out we’ve seen him play for the last time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/return-retire-or-test-free-nagency-steven-jackson-undecided/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/18/return-retire-or-test-free-agency-steven-jackson-undecided/)

If the Rams let him walk I would say hell yeah!!! In a heartbeat. Get rid of Ball or WM. Even though I really want to see Moreno given the chance to compete, and see his desire to be the main dog. I want to see him work for it. But if Jackson is a FA and we don't have to overpay for his services, I am all for it! (Was so pissed when we passed on and took DJ. 2005 team and any Cutler team with him, and we are talking at least 1 more Super Bowl)

The Joker
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
If he's willing to play for a team friendly deal then yeah, bring him in and get rid of McGahee. He's a better back than McGahee is pretty much every way and is a much better fit for our offense.

Moreno, Jackson and Hillman would be a very nice trio for next season IMO.

BroncosfanGuy
01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm not convinced McGahee is a very good fit for the Manning offense. He's not much of a threat as a received out of the backfield. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off another knee injury. He seems to have developed an issue with ball security.

Moreno outplayed him after McGahee's injury and, from what I can tell, did fine as a pass blocker. Hillman's big issues are pass blocking and ball security. But that's a decent tandem to work with.

That said, if Jackson signs a very cap-friendly one-year deal for Denver I could see it working. He's not the RB he was 5 years ago and he's had durability issues his entire career. But he's a tough runner and an exceptional receiving back. So yeah, bring him in for a look and if he's cheap and short-term, why not?

broncswin
01-18-2013, 05:54 PM
All for it...use the draft for d and depth

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
NO, cheap FA and draft well and re-sign players.

TheReverend
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Cutting DJ and using his cap hit to sign Jackson would bring balance to the universe.

Broncos dude
01-18-2013, 06:11 PM
NO!

peacepipe
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
cheap FAs are usually cheap for reason, either they're rotational players or too over the hill to command a lot of money.

BroncoMan4ever
01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
If the Rams aren't interested in his services why should a contending team want him?

TDmvp
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Old running backs are old . No thanks.

BroncosfanGuy
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
If the Rams aren't interested in his services why should a contending team want him?

4+ ypc and 1k season along w/ 38 receptions in 2012
The Rams are rebuilding and his contract is too high as it is. That's probably why he's not back in StL. Not because he's an ineffective RB.

if he comes in as a role player (not a bellcow back) and signs a cap-friendly 1-year deal, why not?

Lestat
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
i would love it but man he's got a ton of carries on him. the Rams abused him like a fiend on carries after Faulk left and they turned it over to him.

extralife
01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Same player as Willis. Stick with the one you've got.

KipCorrington25
01-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Big upgrade if the situation was right.

peacepipe
01-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Jackson wanted out of his contract,rams obliged and renegotiated to void his final yr.

peacepipe
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM

Jackson is a lot better than mcgahee.

The Joker
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM

Yeah, same player.

Apart from being bigger, faster, younger, less fumble prone, better at catching passes, better in pass protection and better at running forward with a football in his hands.

Apart from that they're pretty much the same player though, yeah.

Dreadlocks too long. 2/10. WOULD NOT BANG.

DBroncos4life
01-18-2013, 06:45 PM

Is this a serious post?

ColoradoDarin
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Comes in on a low $, short contract? I'm good. I'd prefer to get a RB in the 3rd round in the draft though.

peacepipe
01-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Comes in on a low $, short contract? I'm good. I'd prefer to get a RB in the 3rd round in the draft though.

Been there,done that.

Bmore Manning
01-18-2013, 07:00 PM
What are the contract demands...

I would cut McGahee and Moreno to free up almost $5 million in cap space for him!

Then draft Lattimore knowing he can rehab and eventually take over that role. And Hillman is your change of pace back.

The Joker
01-18-2013, 07:12 PM

I would cut McGahee and Moreno to free up almost $5 million in cap space for him!

Then draft Lattimore knowing he can rehab and eventually take over that role. And Hillman is your change of pace back.

Isn't Moreno really cheap to keep next year?

He's no superstar but we saw this year that he's a good fit for the offense. Having good depth at RB is always useful, and Moreno can play some WR too. I hope he's not the starter next year, but as depth we'll struggle to do much better.

Jackson, Moreno, Hillman would be decent, we could draft Lattimore then and stash him on IR for the year and then hopefully he'd be able to take Moreno's roster spot in 2014.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 07:19 PM

yeah you....wait, say what now? :kiddingme

Heyneck
01-18-2013, 07:22 PM
Cutting DJ and using his cap hit to sign Jackson would bring balance to the universe.

That would actually be awesome. Coming full circle!

Heyneck
01-18-2013, 07:24 PM

Hilarious!

Atwater His Ass
01-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Cutting Moreno would be dumb. Cutting McGahee would make a lot more sense with his age and injury issues.

I'd love to see a RB like Jackson. Instantly upgrades the team at a need position.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
cheap FAs are usually cheap for reason, either they're rotational players or too over the hill to command a lot of money.

That is BS. Bannan, Adams, Dressen, Tamme, Stokley, Poppin, Carter all cheap good FA. Denver needs to build through the draft and re-sign their own players they have targeted.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Cutting Moreno would be dumb. Cutting McGahee would make a lot more sense with his age and injury issues.

I'd love to see a RB like Jackson. Instantly upgrades the team at a need position.

Jackson averaged 4.1 yards and only 4 TDs. He is almost 30 years-old. McGahee at least averaged 4.4 yards per carry. signing Jackson would be wasting money. He might be an upgrade but not really that much of one and for how long? 2 years???

BroncosfanGuy
01-18-2013, 07:33 PM

why?

and then replace him with a guy coming off 2 serious leg injuries?

Jackson averaged 4.1 yards and only 4 TDs. He is almost 30 years-old. McGahee at least averaged 4.4 yards per carry. signing Jackson would be wasting money. He might be an upgrade but not really that much of one and for how long? 2 years???

Averaging 4.1 ypc with Sam Bradford at QB is more impressive than 4.4 in Manning's O.
I think he'd be a good fit as a rotational back but probably only if he comes cheap and on a short-term deal.

Ratboy
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM

Hilarious!

UberBroncoMan
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
Only if he comes cheap as **** because he wants a trophy.

Gutless Drunk
01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
for how long? 2 years???

That's pretty much our current window for any championship aspirations.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 07:56 PM
why?

and then replace him with a guy coming off 2 serious leg injuries?

Averaging 4.1 ypc with Sam Bradford at QB is more impressive than 4.4 in Manning's O.
I think he'd be a good fit as a rotational back but probably only if he comes cheap and on a short-term deal.

Yeah and is Jackson getting any younger? Denver has Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris, Carter, Beadles, Walton, Thomas and Decker all coming up in their contract years in the next two or three years. These are all talented young players that will provide more to Denver than Jackson. Draft another RB and throw them in the mix.

UberBroncoMan
01-18-2013, 07:58 PM
That's pretty much our current window for any championship aspirations.

Unless Brock turns into the second coming... which would be awesome.

Heyneck
01-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Except for the cutting Moreno part, I am all on board with this idea.

BroncosfanGuy
01-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah and is Jackson getting any younger? Denver has Clady, Miller, Woodyard, Harris, Carter, Beadles, Walton, Thomas and Decker all coming up in their contract years in the next two or three years. These are all talented young players that will provide more to Denver than Jackson. Draft another RB and throw them in the mix.

How does that preclude from Denver extending any of the players you listed?
If Denver ditches McGahee for Jackso they still manage to get younger & more talented at RB--like I said, only if it's affordable and short term.

Heyneck
01-18-2013, 08:02 PM

Except for Miller, Thomas and Clady, we will not have to break the bank on any of the other players. Plus come on, it would be a 3 year max, say around 4 mill a year. Wouldn't you take it? Dude is a consistent punishing machine. Just the type of runner we need. Bring the pain to the defense.

extralife
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game. Remember, the Rams wanted to bench him this year. There was even talk of him being traded or possibly cut a couple weeks into the season. Where's his upside? Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact. I know, we're supposed to hate him because he "developed a fumbling habit"--that's nonsense, random numbers are random. Willis does not have a fumbling history, he just happened to have a poor stretch for us this year. Things happen. Probably the same people who want to cut Champ. To say that Jackson is "better suited to our offense" is to say what, exactly? Why is he better suited? Because of all those dominant up-tempo offenses he's played in?

DBroncos4life
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM
You think Lacy will be available with our second pick? :giggle: Not happening. We will be lucky if he is there with our first pick. We have other holes that we can use draft picks on.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Except for Miller, Thomas and Clady, we will not have to break the bank on any of the other players. Plus come on, it would be a 3 year max, say around 4 mill a year. Wouldn't you take it? Dude is a consistent punishing machine. Just the type of runner we need. Bring the pain to the defense.

I disagree Decker will get big bucks. Harris was getting Probowl attention this year at CB. He could be a $10 million player by the time his contract runs out.

Archer81
01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm not convinced McGahee is a very good fit for the Manning offense. He's not much of a threat as a received out of the backfield. He's on the wrong side of 30 and coming off another knee injury. He seems to have developed an issue with ball security.

Moreno outplayed him after McGahee's injury and, from what I can tell, did fine as a pass blocker. Hillman's big issues are pass blocking and ball security. But that's a decent tandem to work with.

That said, if Jackson signs a very cap-friendly one-year deal for Denver I could see it working. He's not the RB he was 5 years ago and he's had durability issues his entire career. But he's a tough runner and an exceptional receiving back. So yeah, bring him in for a look and if he's cheap and short-term, why not?

Article says he is 29, right?

:Broncos:

Gutless Drunk
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact

Requiem
01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
It seems like it was only yesterday that we passed up on this guy. . . mother****er. :)

razorwire77
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
On the cheap? Hell yeah, bring him in. I think he's probably got a couple of years of decent production left. Certainly better than Willis or KM.

DBroncos4life
01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
:curtsey:I said there was a chance. I think a lot of it depends on what GB plans on doing as they might draft a RB in the first round. No doubt Lacy has really helped himself late in the season.

three mocks where he makes it in the 2nd round.

55. Green Bay Packers: Eddie Lacy, RB, Alabama
James Starks has yet to prove that he can stay healthy, while Alex Green has shown nothing in several starts. Cedric Benson is obviously not a long-term answer, though I've been impressed with DuJuan Harris in his limited action. Still, the Packers may address the running back position early in the 2013 NFL Draft. Eddie Lacy and Harris would complement each other pretty well.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

51. Cincinnati - Eddie Lacy (RB, Alabama)
http://nbadraftguru.blogspot.com/2013/01/2013-nfl-mock-draft-3-rounds_18.html

42. New York Jets: Eddie Lacey, RB, Alabama
http://newnfldraft.com/2013-nfl-mock-draft-2nd-round-41-48/

Me personally, I would not draft him.You act like GB is the only team that needs a RB. Look at the Steelers rushing stats. Once the combine comes he will prove he is the first RB that is coming off the board. Also you are nuts for not wanting to draft him. Also there has never been a draft where a RB hasn't been drafted in the first round. With Lacy in the draft there is no reason to think that will change.

BroncoMan4ever
01-18-2013, 08:59 PM
4+ ypc and 1k season along w/ 38 receptions in 2012
The Rams are rebuilding and his contract is too high as it is. That's probably why he's not back in StL. Not because he's an ineffective RB.

if he comes in as a role player (not a bellcow back) and signs a cap-friendly 1-year deal, why not?

Because we get him for a year and then hace to get a new back. If we are on the hunt for one, draft fresh legs and move on.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 10:46 PM
:curtsey:You act like GB is the only team that needs a RB. Look at the Steelers rushing stats. Once the combine comes he will prove he is the first RB that is coming off the board. Also you are nuts for not wanting to draft him. Also there has never been a draft where a RB hasn't been drafted in the first round. With Lacy in the draft there is no reason to think that will change.

Maybe, like I said there will be backs available. I like Wisconsin's Montee Ball better. When he is not getting beat up that is.

SoCalBronco
01-18-2013, 11:02 PM
It seems like it was only yesterday that we passed up on this guy. . . mother****er. :)

I'm not sure why people always go Ed Reeeeeeeed on him....considering that he was not even the Broncos highest rated back. Denver actually had Michigan's Chris Perry rated as their top back that year. I'm pretty sure DJ has had a much much more successful career than Chris Perry.

CEH
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM

furthermore, Denver originally started with pick #24 that year. The spot where SJ was selected

Requiem
01-19-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure why people always go Ed Reeeeeeeed on him....considering that he was not even the Broncos highest rated back. Denver actually had Michigan's Chris Perry rated as their top back that year. I'm pretty sure DJ has had a much much more successful career than Chris Perry.

Everyone knows that Chris Perry was dog****. Steven Jackson has been balling since Pontius Pilate. Pretty nice to see two players still on the teams that drafted them all those years later. Oh well. Nobody got time travel.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Bring anyone in who can actually last a season/postseason. Mcgahee and Moreno both screwed the broncos by getting hurt when they did.

Rother8
01-20-2013, 03:21 AM

Are you here all week?

winstoncup bronco
01-20-2013, 05:52 AM
This would be a great signing along the lines of Neil Smith - still productive vet looking to finish out his career with a ring. If he's willing to come in under those terms, I think he will be very cap friendly. We are in "WIN NOW" mode, so in many ways our thinking should be like back in 1997.

BroncosfanGuy
01-20-2013, 09:07 AM
I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game.

Jackson is one of the best receiving backs in the league. How many others have a 90 catch season under their belts?

Because we get him for a year and then hace to get a new back. If we are on the hunt for one, draft fresh legs and move on.

Between Moreno and Hillman, Denver has 4 fresh legs. It's not another young RB who needs to learn the NFL ropes Denver needs. It's a dynamic, pass-catching bruiser like Jackson. As for Jackson lasting 1 year, that's kind of the point. Rotational RB is a short-term position as it is. Fill that need via FA and attempt to get the long-term Mike LB, interior OL, interior DL, and CB via the draft.

McDman
01-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Sucks for Jackson he wasted his great talent with such a **** franchise.

McDman
01-20-2013, 09:41 AM
I knew I was going to get **** for calling Jackson the same player as Willis, but he is. He's a little bigger, sure, but they're both older (Jackson is younger, but has WAY more miles on him), they have the same running style, neither is dynamic in the passing game. Remember, the Rams wanted to bench him this year. There was even talk of him being traded or possibly cut a couple weeks into the season. Where's his upside? Look at his numbers the last few years, and look at Willis' numbers last year and when he was healthy this year. Show me the difference. Willis has better numbers, in fact. I know, we're supposed to hate him because he "developed a fumbling habit"--that's nonsense, random numbers are random. Willis does not have a fumbling history, he just happened to have a poor stretch for us this year. Things happen. Probably the same people who want to cut Champ. To say that Jackson is "better suited to our offense" is to say what, exactly? Why is he better suited? Because of all those dominant up-tempo offenses he's played in?

Jackson has average 45 catches per season. You're catching **** because you're making stuff up. Jackson has been great out of the backfield.

Let's not forget Jackson has played against stacked fronts basically his entire career.

TheReverend
01-20-2013, 09:49 AM
Everyone knows that Chris Perry was dog****. Steven Jackson has been balling since Pontius Pilate. Pretty nice to see two players still on the teams that drafted them all those years later. Oh well. Nobody got time travel.

I was in Iraq for that draft. I was SO excited about DJ Williams when I finally got to hear.

RaiderH8r
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM
Bring him in and worry about cuts later. Hillman can't pick up the blitz, didn't bust **** out, can't pick up tough yards and couldn't salt the game away, pulling only 3 yards on 2 carries when a first would have ended it. If we're looking to dump somebody that would be the guy.

Heyneck
01-20-2013, 10:06 AM
The point is we are in a win now mode for the next 2, possibly next 3 years. We could sign Jackson for that duration. While it's great to develop our own talent, having a back like Jackson would open things up in the middle and back of the field. Plus, like McDMan said, Jackson has been going against heavy loaded fronts for the most of his career, and his OL was never solid outside their retired All-PRO left tackle.

And for those who say RBs decline after 30, well... he will be 29. Priest Holmes started kicking ass when he got near 30 and into his 30s.

We wouldn't have to worry about running for crucial short gains, and Fox would have the bruiser he likes that controls the game and brings pain to the defense.

extralife
01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Jackson has average 45 catches per season. You're catching **** because you're making stuff up. Jackson has been great out of the backfield.

Let's not forget Jackson has played against stacked fronts basically his entire career.

I don't care how many catches a back gets, I care what they do with them. Catch numbers for a back are often a result of being in a poor offense, which Jackson has been for his entire career save his rookie year. Do you think winners like Concussed Marc Bulger were throwing Jackson the rock because he was too good to ignore in space, or because they were bad quarterbacks?

I like the argument that Jackson faced "stacked boxes." I said compare his last couple years with Mcgahee's. I guess the ten in the box Willis faced last year doesn't count?

I'm not saying Jackson is terrible. I'm saying he's not much better than Mcgahee, and that they are the same type of player.

TheReverend
01-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't care how many catches a back gets, I care what they do with them

Keep digging that hole, douche.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/yards-after-the-catch/2006/

Heyneck
01-20-2013, 01:06 PM
Seriously, who ever thinks Jackson and Willis are on the same level needs CAT scan. And trying to compare Willis last years number is laughable. If there is someone that benefited from the Tebow offense, it was the running game, specially WM. Look at most of his runs, he was going through huge holes. Had he had more speed, he would have had an even better year. Sure he was goitng agains 10 man fronts, but most of those men where zeroed in on Tebow. Look at the film, not the stats.

Sure you could say the are both bruising type backs, but the truth is that Jackson doesn't bruise. He punishes! We need that attitude in the offense. If Jackson is available and his demands are acceptable, go for it!

go_broncos
01-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Elway knows that Manning and this offense needs a good RB..Moreno is good..But, he keeps getting hurt..If he was not injured last week, we would have easily won the game.
Last week we were not lucky..

extralife
01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
Keep digging that hole, douche.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/yards-after-the-catch/2006/

Wow, I didn't know the 23 year old Steven Jackson was on the market

dsmoot
01-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Given your statement, what was the assessment of McGahee before the Broncos signed him. We could almost use your exact words. A motivated veteran with a change in locale can be a very good addition for a couple of years. I don't know if Jackson is motivated to play hard any longer. However, Willis was one of the best FA signings in the last 3 years. Jackson could be too.

Bacchus
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Maybe, like I said there will be backs available. I like Wisconsin's Montee Ball better. When he is not getting beat up that is.

ok the last one.

jerseyboiler120
04-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Last one?

cmhargrove
04-26-2013, 08:22 PM
ok the last one.

Are you really jerking your own dick in about four old threads?

Bacchus
04-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Are you really jerking your own dick in about four old threads?

!Booya!

I am done now though.

I have been married a long time I realize if I don't jerk my own dick no one will.

cmhargrove
04-27-2013, 06:30 AM
!Booya!

I am done now though.

I have been married a long time I realize if I don't jerk my own dick no one will.

That's pretty funny. Good call on Montee, maybe you can take over from Orange Empire as our next draft insider. (or was it Empire Orange?)

:~ohyah!: