PDA

View Full Version : Gase to be Broncos offensive coordinator

BigPlayShay
01-17-2013, 08:04 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/17/gase-broncos-offensive-coordinator/18237/

In a move that maintains continuity for quarterback Peyton Manning, the Broncos have promoted quarterbacks coach Adam Gase to offensive coordinator.

LetsGoBroncos
01-17-2013, 08:08 AM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/17/gase-broncos-offensive-coordinator/18237/

In a move that maintains continuity for quarterback Peyton Manning, the Broncos have promoted quarterbacks coach Adam Gase to offensive coordinator.

I like this.

jmz313
01-17-2013, 08:09 AM
stable but boring.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Congrats to Gase

Jay3
01-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Translation: Manning to remain offensive coordinator.

Chris
01-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Gh3yse.

go_broncos
01-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Not good..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Not good..

My favorite part was how you backed up your statement with tons of facts.

schaaf
01-17-2013, 08:16 AM
I wonder if they were afraid they'd lose him to SD. I know Manning likes him

socalorado
01-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Exactly!

Love it. Save some coin.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Gase is a good coach. I am pleased with this.

Beantown Bronco
01-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Bowlen is broke.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Bowlen is broke.

And also drunk, too.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Exactly!

Love it. Save some coin.

Why do you care if they "save coin" on a coaching hire? It's not your money, and there's no salary cap for coaches.

Anyway, not the sexy pick some wanted, but a good hire for the sake of stability, plus Gase is considered a good, young offensive mind.

TheReverend
Is this an omen that Chris Clark is gonna get a shot to compete in camp?

/superovercomplicatedjokethatsnotevenfunnyandonly5% serious

Kaylore
Not good..

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1CuqYG53iWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

schaaf
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Why do you care if they "save coin" on a coaching hire? It's not your money, and there's no salary cap for coaches.

Anyway, not the sexy pick some wanted, but a good hire for the sake of stability, plus Gase is considered a good, young offensive mind.

You tell him, hoss.

Rohirrim
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/readers/2011/03/07/moonwalk1_1.gif

CEH
01-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Bowlen is broke.

Bazinga Hilarious!

go_broncos
01-17-2013, 08:29 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1CuqYG53iWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am not sure why you keep doing that.
Gase will keep listening to Fox and will screw us again in big games.

Lycan
01-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Hopefully he doesn't just pick up right where McCoy left off. A little change is needed IMO.

socalorado
01-17-2013, 08:37 AM
You tell him, hoss.

He's all over me this morning, isnt he?
Like an inferno!

broncolife
01-17-2013, 08:38 AM
I was hoping for someone who might argue with fox when he wants to run it on 3rd and longs.

ScottXray
01-17-2013, 08:38 AM
I actually like this. It keeps continuity in the scheme.

At the same time, since McCoy is now in SD I hope that we have the good sense to CHANGE the play calls, if not the plays. We must have new terminology and audibles installed as McCoy will have those down pat.
don't pull an Oakland/Tampa Bay coach swap thing.

As far as play calls, Gase is supposedly smart and up & coming. A smart coach will know that too many 3rd and long runs is counterproductive. I think he will be more agressive.

Heyneck
01-17-2013, 08:39 AM
Heck yes!!! This is what I wanted all along. It's not only great for the continuity with PM, it will be great for Brock and his development too. Hopefully his age keeps him from becoming a HC in the near future.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 08:40 AM

Will you make this face?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/treeashes/denethor/denethor_mad.jpg

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 08:41 AM
Where is everyone getting that Gase is a pushover? He isn't.

socalorado
01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Will you make this face?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/treeashes/denethor/denethor_mad.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ZpWrl.jpg

TonyR
01-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Love it. Save some coin.

I'm fine with Gase but Whisenhunt would have potentially been very inexpensive:

Making the move a little surprising is that Whisenhunt will be working for free, unless the Broncos pay him more to be the offensive coordinator than the Cardinals were going to pay him to coach. (Not even the Cardinals are that cheap.) http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/whisenhunt-may-be-headed-to-denver-as-offensive-coordinator/

ColoradoDarin
01-17-2013, 08:51 AM
I am indifferent to this news.

socalorado
01-17-2013, 08:52 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/whisenhunt-may-be-headed-to-denver-as-offensive-coordinator/

Must have lost a golf game with Elway.

spiralism
01-17-2013, 08:52 AM
Expect no change whatsoever and Fox to continue with his Martyball so

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 08:55 AM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/whisenhunt-may-be-headed-to-denver-as-offensive-coordinator/

Exactly. Wisenhunt would have been the most "cost saving" move as he's a free hire.

Gase being promoted is more about not changing the offense they just barely got going. They want to build on what they have and keep the terminology the same. There will be some tweaks as Gase puts his own stamp on things, but by and large this will look like it did last year but they'll be able to refine rather than re-learn.

The staff really likes him and begged him to stay on after the McDaniels hire. If he likes Denver, then it looks like the right move. I remember what a good receivers coach he was and he helped make Tebow look presentable when he did throw. The fact that he already has a rapport with Manning is only a plus.

The guy is young and from what I've heard fairly balsy. Does that mean we'll still be conservative? That's on Fox but I don't believe there will ever be a coach here who will risk their careers with insubordination. I don't think that is who this team hires. Fox is not a micro-manager though. We'll find out very soon if Gase can call a game or not.

ScottXray
01-17-2013, 08:56 AM
Whisenhunt getting a HC job elsewhere after next season is a drawback.

We have now lost Allen as DC last year and McCoy as OC this year.

Stability at these two positions is something desired and Gase is not likely to be tabbed next year. Assuming we can retain Del Rio again next year, it gives us a 2 year window of stability in scheme and system to get the job done. Plus it gives us more continuity with Osweiler, a key that may be needed if Manning goes down.

TonyR
01-17-2013, 08:58 AM
The guy is young...

Just saw that, only 34 years old!

pricejj
01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
1. If the Broncos didn't promote Gase, McCoy would have.
2. Peyton obviously see's a lot of value in the Offensive changes that they installed this year (apart from his Colts Offense).

Good news, looks like the Offense (including all the personnel) remain intact. Manning can work with Gase this offseason to build on 2012's success.

NickStixx
01-17-2013, 08:59 AM
The reasons for this move are simple
1) He is young and can learn from Manning still
2) They most likely won’t have to go through the process of hiring a new OC next year, or for a few years at that.
3)In a few years he will be the one that will have trained Brock Osweiler up to become the starting QB
4) He is young and therefore will not pose much threat to John Fox’s conservative play calling and approach.

"Coach I think we should pass it here." Fox: "No, run it!" lol

R8R H8R
01-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Congrats to Gase. I was hoping it was either him or Whiz so I am cool with this. It will be interesting to see how he grows as a play caller, or does his calls look like McCoy part 2? We'll find out.

bronco militia
01-17-2013, 09:04 AM
In a move that maintains continuity for the Broncos, quarterback Peyton Manning has promoted quarterbacks coach Adam Gase to offensive coordinator.

fixed

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 09:15 AM
If it ain't broke...

oubronco
01-17-2013, 09:19 AM
As long as they spread it out and Attack all game I'm for it

R8R H8R
01-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Exactly. Wisenhunt would have been the most "cost saving" move as he's a free hire.

Gase being promoted is more about not changing the offense they just barely got going. They want to build on what they have and keep the terminology the same. There will be some tweaks as Gase puts his own stamp on things, but by and large this will look like it did last year but they'll be able to refine rather than re-learn.

The staff really likes him and begged him to stay on after the McDaniels hire. If he likes Denver, then it looks like the right move. I remember what a good receivers coach he was and he helped make Tebow look presentable when he did throw. The fact that he already has a rapport with Manning is only a plus.

The guy is young and from what I've heard fairly balsy. Does that mean we'll still be conservative? That's on Fox but I don't believe there will ever be a coach here who will risk their careers with insubordination. I don't think that is who this team hires. Fox is not a micro-manager though. We'll find out very soon if Gase can call a game or not.

Bingo! For those who think that bringing in an outside OC would magically transform the team into "go for it" mentality on nearly all 4th and short's, they are dreaming.

gunns
01-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Would he allow a kneel down?

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Bingo! For those who think that bringing in an outside OC would magically transform the team into "go for it" mentality on nearly all 4th and short's, are dreaming.

Its a pretty false argument to pretend nothing exists between this and what we just witnessed last Saturday.

I was hoping for an OC with the credibility to at least challenge Foxy to rethink through some things. Nothing against Gase but coming up from within its hard to see him being in a position to do that.

Play2win
01-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Would he allow a kneel down?

That play... FML...

There has been The Catch... The Drive... The Drive II...

Now we have... The Surrender...

Chris
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM

Technically we're all fairly ballsy... well except this guy

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8xl15U09o1rd7inoo1_500.png

broncocalijohn
01-17-2013, 11:01 AM

I think he realizes that but figures if he saves $ on getting a popular guy that many want, Bowlen can then use some $ to push the salary cap.

Keep those in house and promote within if deserved. How things are going, a good chance Gase will be the next Chiefs head coach.

broncocalijohn
01-17-2013, 11:03 AM
Just saw that, only 34 years old!

Oh ****! McDaniels age. Looks like Manning will be traded away.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Technically we're all fairly ballsy... well except this guy

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8xl15U09o1rd7inoo1_500.png

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AEciKnfhr3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chris
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AEciKnfhr3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Definitely Lord Varys's favourite song ever since his days as a young eunuch in Seattle.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 11:18 AM
The spider does love him some flannel.

Man-Goblin
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM

I don't think that's true. I think the Broncos would still have to pay him OC money and the Cardinals would have to cover the remainder of his head coach contract.

RunSilentRunDeep
01-17-2013, 11:29 AM

I like it. Young coordinators are too inexperienced to be timid in their play-calling. I want a kid that can think faster and wants to make a name for himself by dropping 40-plus on opponents. Despite the apparently tougher schedule next year, I'm guessing they improve on their 30.1 points a game average.

Durango
01-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Ha! There it is.

BigPlayShay
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
http://milehighsports.com/2013/01/17/gase-were-going-to-try-to-play-faster/

“You’re not starting over, and in April we’ll be ready right from the get-go,” Gase said Thursday.

Tempo will be paramount, Gase noted, and he admitted that the offense is “going to try to play faster” than it did in 2012.

bronco militia
01-17-2013, 11:45 AM
http://milehighsports.com/2013/01/17/gase-were-going-to-try-to-play-faster/

“You’re not starting over, and in April we’ll be ready right from the get-go,” Gase said Thursday.

Tempo will be paramount, Gase noted, and he admitted that the offense is “going to try to play faster” than it did in 2012.

"31 seconds, two time outs, go!"

:cuss:

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM

I disagree with what he said, but you're actually more wrong. For the past several seasons the Broncos have always referred to their "budget" and not the cap. This would certainly fall under that umbrella.

...but as other's have mentioned, I certainly don't believe this was a "cost saving" move for an instant. I like Gase :)

Hulamau
01-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Projection projection projection.. you don't have the faintest idea what Gase will do as OC beyond continuing the tight continuity he has established with Manning which is the most important relationship in this job.

He may well have a lot of ideas to add more wrinkles and some surprises to the O .. so far the Elway/ Russell/Bowlen/ Fox group have been pretty solid with their hires and picks.

Every stud coach out there came up through the ranks. Gase has a very good rep as it is. Why not see what he can do first before throwing him under the bus in a hissy fit!?

gyldenlove
01-17-2013, 11:53 AM
I disagree with what he said, but you're actually more wrong. For the past several seasons the Broncos have always referred to their "budget" and not the cap. This would certainly fall under that umbrella.

...but as other's have mentioned, I certainly don't believe this was a "cost saving" move for an instant. I like Gase :)

I think it is a good move, Gase knows Manning and the WRs and he knows the playbook that Manning likes. This also means Gase won't be hired by another team leaving us without our 2 top offensive coaches.

BroncoMan4ever
01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Does Gase ever get a promotion for merit or just because he is there?

eddie mac
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
This was a continuity/comfort move more than anything else and for those that aren't blind our offense for the next 2-3 seasons will be Peyton Manning and his supporting cast. The offense averaged 30 points last season, 2nd only behind the Patriots. Personally love the appointment and look for more of the same in 2013/14

R8R H8R
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Its a pretty false argument to pretend nothing exists between this and what we just witnessed last Saturday.

I was hoping for an OC with the credibility to at least challenge Foxy to rethink through some things. Nothing against Gase but coming up from within its hard to see him being in a position to do that.

There is a difference between a guy that has influence to get some concessions on aggressive play calling, and a guy that comes in and all of a sudden the offensive side of the ball looks like an arena football team. I exaggerated my example, but the point is that a total transformation of offensive philosophy was not going to happen. Not while Fox is coach. Period.

Being so young, maybe Gase is more aggressive than McCoy, and maybe Fox will give him some leeway when he proves himself. Maybe he is not, but we really don't know. However, I for one, am interested in finding out.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I think it is a good move, Gase knows Manning and the WRs and he knows the playbook that Manning likes. This also means Gase won't be hired by another team leaving us without our 2 top offensive coaches.

Agree. Continuity is king.

Gase has been regarded highly by the FO and staff for years now, too, so there's some extra gravy on the continuity-sandwich.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I feel like the Broncos' progress has just been stunted. A newbie OC with no experience?! He has nothing to bring to the table. NOTHING. This is a joke hire and it means no Super Bowl next year.

Taco John
01-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Have read nothing but good things about Gase. Started here as McDaniels WR coach. Promoted by Fox/Elway to QB coach, and now to be molded by Peyton Manning as an Offensive Coordinator.

The reason I like this move: I believe this is Peyton Manning's choice as much as anyone, and I favor any move that puts Peyton Manning's indelible stamp on this team. Why this is important to me - I believe that Peyton Manning is going to have a coaching career past football. Football is in his DNA in a way that being in the front office won't satisfy him. He is going to always want to be involved in the X's and O's. Anything that can be done now to make Denver an attractive option for him, I am in favor of.

Adam Gase may very well be the next Denver Broncos head coach, with Peyton Manning as his OC.

R8R H8R
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM

I don't either. What is more likely is that Whiz, and Schumer for that matter, might have rejected the idea of taking a demotion "for free".

They either want to be HC or they want to be on the beach. Can't say that I blame them to be honest. That scenario is certainly a possibility.

SoCalBronco
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Good move.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 12:21 PM
...with Peyton Manning as his OC.

http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Oh+lawd+_94eba1d3aadfcd4c8cc991d9aa8b561f.gif

Go sit in the corner, TJ

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Have read nothing but good things about Gase. Started here as McDaniels WR coach. Promoted by Fox/Elway to QB coach, and now to be molded by Peyton Manning as an Offensive Coordinator.

The reason I like this move: I believe this is Peyton Manning's choice as much as anyone, and I favor any move that puts Peyton Manning's indelible stamp on this team. Why this is important to me - I believe that Peyton Manning is going to have a coaching career past football. Football is in his DNA in a way that being in the front office won't satisfy him. He is going to always want to be involved in the X's and O's. Anything that can be done now to make Denver an attractive option for him, I am in favor of.

Adam Gase may very well be the next Denver Broncos head coach, with Peyton Manning as his OC.

There's no way in hell they picked him over Whisenhunt. That deal fell through and Gase was the fall-back. This is a joke and I hate this pick.

As for PFM being OC.. Uh...

Rohirrim
01-17-2013, 12:24 PM
I feel like the Broncos' progress has just been stunted. A newbie OC with no experience?! He has nothing to bring to the table. NOTHING. This is a joke hire and it means no Super Bowl next year.

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/b53ac23be9f8ac80919e02899ef00443e0f03419/687474703a2f2f637572657a6f6e652e636f6d2f75706c6f61 642f4d656d626572732f747261707065722f73706f636b5f73 6c61702e676966/http://curezone.com/upload/Members/trapper/spock_slap.gif

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
"31 seconds, two time outs, go!"

:cuss:

John Fox said he called it.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Agree. Continuity is king.

Gase has been regarded highly by the FO and staff for years now, too, so there's some extra gravy on the continuity-sandwich.

Seriously. There was nothing wrong with our offense. Just keep doing the same thing.

swaiy
01-17-2013, 12:27 PM
There's no way in hell they picked him over Whisenhunt. That deal fell through and Gase was the fall-back. This is a joke and I hate this pick.

You were at the interview?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM

You know the Broncos offense is pretty simple, right? Did you have a problem with ll the points we scored this season?

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy/b53ac23be9f8ac80919e02899ef00443e0f03419/687474703a2f2f637572657a6f6e652e636f6d2f75706c6f61 642f4d656d626572732f747261707065722f73706f636b5f73 6c61702e676966/http://curezone.com/upload/Members/trapper/spock_slap.gif

http://s20.postimage.org/si9wpctx7/monkeyassgrab.gif

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
You know the Broncos offense is pretty simple, right? Did you have a problem with ll the points we scored this season?

Yes. Scoring 21 in a playoff isn't going to cut it, especially when blocking your way to the Super Bowl is the New England Polaroids.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
http://s20.postimage.org/si9wpctx7/monkeyassgrab.gif

haha wtf

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:32 PM
You were at the interview?

This is a joke (http://milehighsports.com/2013/01/17/gase-were-going-to-try-to-play-faster/) :

… He called plays on multiple series in some late games, but wouldn’t reveal which ones they were or whether they resulted in touchdowns. “I’m not telling,” he said.

… Gase was impressed with the progress of quarterback Brock Osweiler. “He grew up so fast,” Gase said. “He really prepared as though he was going in on the next snap … he really pushed himself to do things right … to see that guy grow as fast as he did, I really enjoyed watching that.”

… Gase will hand off quarterback-coaching duties to a new hire and will not assume a dual role.

… He hasn’t decided whether he will call plays from the sideline or the booth.

… The notion that Manning was a de facto offensive coordinator was dismissed. “Peyton wants to be coached,” Gase said, adding that he learned how to be on point, because there was no end to how many questions Manning would ask. Gase also said Manning tweaked calls. “If you call something and it’s not good, he fixes it and puts you in a better play,” he said.

… Gase defended the kneeldown decision at the end of regulation Saturday. “As Fox said, it was best for our guys to regroup at the time, get to overtime & try to win it,” Gase said.

----------------------------------------------

Maybe we can bring back McHoodie's little bro as QBs coach?

ZONA
01-17-2013, 12:33 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/omg-wtf-lol.gif

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Yes. Scoring 21 in a playoff isn't going to cut it, especially when blocking your way to the Super Bowl is the New England Polaroids.

Yes because one game played in 5 degree weather is indicative of the Broncos offense. Not to mention, they were in position to score 24, and had two drives eliminated because of ST touchdowns. AND did it without our starting running back. Our offense is fine, it's one of the best in the league. If Rahim Moore makes a play, you're not bitching about this. Keep perspective.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
@Zona - Mark my words.

swaiy
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Im not seeing the problem.

Hey! I have an idea. Lets hire a new offensive coordinator so he can run an offensive system he hasnt been around. Better yet, maybe he can bring his own system and have the players start all over again learning it. That makes the perfect amount of sense. Peyton probably has about 6 more years left in him. The guys will gel midseason again and we can fall short next season.

Awesome.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Yes because one game played in 5 degree weather is indicative of the Broncos offense. Not to mention, they were in position to score 24, and had two drives eliminated because of ST touchdowns. AND did it without our starting running back. Our offense is fine, it's one of the best in the league. If Rahim Moore makes a play, you're not b****ing about this. Keep perspective.

If the weather affected their performance this badly, then they're worse than I thought. It wasn't snowing, the wind wasn't blowing. Peyton, for whatever weird reason, was throwing low balls that reminded me of Timmy.

Our offense IS one of the best in the league, and my concern is will it stay that way with an inexperienced OC that I get the impression was only hired because another deal fell through?

There were a number of things that were pathetic about that game, Rahim's error only one of many. He took on way too much responsibility for that loss. Kicking the dirt, crappy playcalling (again), blown coverage left and right that reminded me of last year's secondary, etc. We were dominated at the line of scrimmage.

And of course, horrid officiating which spotted Buttmore a pick 6 on a non-called defensive pass interference, among other crappy calls.

We shouldn't have lost that game, but we didn't deserve to win, either.

2KBack
01-17-2013, 12:48 PM
This is a joke (http://milehighsports.com/2013/01/17/gase-were-going-to-try-to-play-faster/) :

… He called plays on multiple series in some late games, but wouldn’t reveal which ones they were or whether they resulted in touchdowns. “I’m not telling,” he said.

… Gase was impressed with the progress of quarterback Brock Osweiler. “He grew up so fast,” Gase said. “He really prepared as though he was going in on the next snap … he really pushed himself to do things right … to see that guy grow as fast as he did, I really enjoyed watching that.”

… Gase will hand off quarterback-coaching duties to a new hire and will not assume a dual role.

… He hasn’t decided whether he will call plays from the sideline or the booth.

… The notion that Manning was a de facto offensive coordinator was dismissed. “Peyton wants to be coached,” Gase said, adding that he learned how to be on point, because there was no end to how many questions Manning would ask. Gase also said Manning tweaked calls. “If you call something and it’s not good, he fixes it and puts you in a better play,” he said.

… Gase defended the kneeldown decision at the end of regulation Saturday. “As Fox said, it was best for our guys to regroup at the time, get to overtime & try to win it,” Gase said.

----------------------------------------------

Maybe we can bring back McHoodie's little bro as QBs coach?

Which points do you take offense too?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 12:49 PM
If the weather affected their performance this badly, then they're worse than I thought. It wasn't snowing, the wind wasn't blowing. Peyton, for whatever weird reason, was throwing low balls that reminded me of Timmy.

Our offense IS one of the best in the league, and my concern is will it stay that way with an inexperienced OC that I get the impression was only hired because another deal fell through?

There were a number of things that were pathetic about that game, Rahim's error only one of many. He took on way too much responsibility for that loss. Kicking the dirt, crappy playcalling (again), blown coverage left and right that reminded me of last year's secondary, etc. We were dominated at the line of scrimmage.

And of course, horrid officiating which spotted Buttmore a pick 6 on a non-called defensive pass interference, among other crappy calls.

We shouldn't have lost that game, but we didn't deserve to win, either.

Ever stand in 5 degree weather for 5 hours? That **** is always gonna play a roll.

Our offense is fine. Quit bitching.

Requiem
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Would love to hear how Gase doesn't bring anything to the table. Lolololol.

Heyneck
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
The best hire we could get outside of Whiz. The problem with Whiz is that he would have probably been hired anyway next year. Heck I am sure that would have been the case. He was getting interviews after the horrible season they just had. People that don't like this is just because he is not a big name. I remember Cutler talking him up, he managed to stick on 3 coaching staffs on the same team. That must mean something. All the positions he has coached have been successful under his watch.

You can take this to the bank. He will be a HC in about 2-3 years. This lets us continue with the current system and better yet, when the time arrives for Brock to take over, we should know for sure if he is the QBOTF.

Broncos4Life
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
So................Where will Gase be the HC at next year....?

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 01:10 PM
@Zona - Mark my words.

What a bold prediction. One of the thirty two teams won't win the SB next year. We're all impressed.

TonyR
01-17-2013, 01:18 PM
dramallama being dramallama...

mwill07
01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
So................Where will Gase be the HC at next year....?

Kansas City, obviously.

Blueflame
01-17-2013, 01:49 PM

He does it because... like Denethor's.... your outlook and prognostications on everything has been unrelentingly pessimistic and gloomy. He makes a valid point.

Taco John
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Oh+lawd+_94eba1d3aadfcd4c8cc991d9aa8b561f.gif

Go sit in the corner, TJ

Trying to interpret this...
Are you saying Peyton Manning won't be a coach?
That he won't start as an OC at the highest?
Or maybe you think he would start immediately as a HC?

Obviously, my take is purely speculative - as would be any take you have. Curious what part you don't agree with.

Cito Pelon
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
Another McD guy to follow McD's guy McCoy. McD actually has a coaching tree. Wow.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Interesting perspective. I also like the hire simply because Gase is an unknown as an OC and he's young. Hopefully he will take some risks, especially with a guy like Manning who he can have confidence in to make the right decisions.

Cito Pelon
01-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes because one game played in 5 degree weather is indicative of the Broncos offense. Not to mention, they were in position to score 24, and had two drives eliminated because of ST touchdowns. AND did it without our starting running back. Our offense is fine, it's one of the best in the league. If Rahim Moore makes a play, you're not b****ing about this. Keep perspective.

Well, a few things.
One, they have to be able to play in frigid temps at Mile High.
Two, the O scored only 14 pts until there was 7:11 left in regulation.
Three, Denver's O had 12 drives in regulation, Balt's O 12 in regulation.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
What a bold prediction. One of the thirty two teams won't win the SB next year. We're all impressed.

Considering before last season, my prediction was they'd get no farther than the divisional, you may want to listen.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Considering before last season, my prediction was they'd get no farther than the divisional, you may want to listen.

We're so lucky to have you here as a resource.

Dedhed
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
Gase's Offense: 'Pedal to the Metal'

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Gases-Offense-Pedal-to-the-Metal/66443b3b-85f0-49ec-b236-aaf574b67e89

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Ever stand in 5 degree weather for 5 hours? That **** is always gonna play a roll.

Didn't seem to hurt the Ravens much.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Would love to hear how Gase doesn't bring anything to the table. Lolololol.

Nobody said that. It's his total and complete lack of experience at the position that bothers me.

I'd have been much happier with Whisenhunt. Instead he goes to the CHARGERS. :oyvey::hitself:

The only thing really good about Gase is the obvious longevity we'll have with him. He's simply too inexperienced to go anywhere else.

cmhargrove
01-17-2013, 03:52 PM
Nobody said that. It's his total and complete lack of experience at the position that bothers me.

I'd have been much happier with Whisenhunt. Instead he goes to the CHARGERS. :oyvey::hitself:

The only thing really good about Gase is the obvious longevity we'll have with him. He's simply too inexperienced to go anywhere else.

Yes, Whisenhunt did such a bang up job for the Cardinals that we should be totally pissed we didn't get him.:crazy:

Gase sounds promising. There was nothing wrong with our offense this year, except for needing a few more roster upgrades. In the Ravens game Kuper wasn't playing well, Knowshon got hurt (and he should honestly be our #2), and I still think we could use a more dynamic pass catching TE who can consistently outrun LB's in the middle of the field.

Fix a couple roster holes, the system isn't the problem.

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2013, 04:02 PM
We're so lucky to have you here as a resource.

I like to read your wiseassery in full Montalban accent. Gives it a real edge.

Requiem
01-17-2013, 04:19 PM

You are lying:

Gase has been coaching for almost a decade in the NFL at various positions. WR and QB in Denver. Before that, SAN and DET. He has been through a multitude of different teams with unique circumstances and seems to have made things work out all right in those regards here. At some point in time, a young coach gets his shot. He is going to be 35 years old and has over a decade and a half coaching experience in NCAA - NFL.

From what has been said, it sounds like he had a good relationship with Manning and he is familiar with what team and what we are doing on offense. I also like some of his early comments on having a higher tempo offense going into next season.

The team interviewed several candidates, but went the continuity and familiarity route. I'm sure that the opportunity to work with Peyton Manning would be appealing to a lot of NFL signal callers. This does not mean that he wasn't qualified or brings nothing to the table, as you suggest. He knows what is going on here better than any outside guy. Sounds like a logical decision.

Yep, cause Whisenhunt is a name you've heard, right? You do realize that Gase took just as long as Whisenhunt to become an OC in this league, right? I wonder if you would be saying the same thing about Whiz circa 2003/4.

Except that he has been moving up the NCAA to NFL coaching ladder for a long time now. Sure sounds like he isn't a legit guy. Hilarious!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Didn't seem to hurt the Ravens much.

I wouldnt exactly say they played a stellar game either, would you?

crush17
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Someone put a muzzle on this guy...

Lestat
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
i don't have a real problem with this, i wish he could have stayed as QB coach for 2-3 more years to get more seasoning. but continuity is huge with Manning and he's really taken to Gase and his ideas.

even more importantly, i hope we see more of a running game factored into the system moving forward.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
So will this mean McCoy and the chargers will know exactly what denver does in their 2 games? Since Gase was under McCoys wings and all.

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2013, 04:52 PM
So will this mean McCoy and the chargers will know exactly what denver does in their 2 games? Since Gase was under McCoys wings and all.

Just go four wide on 3rd and short and watch Mike's head esplode. Problem solved.

tesnyde
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Kansas City, obviously.

Denver Coaching Tree
Shannahan
Allan
McCoy
Kubes
Counting Fox.....16% of the league. I guess that says something about the Bronco organization.

19% once KC hires Gase. Nearly 1/5 HC in the league.

I like the Gase promotion for reasons already said.

outdoor_miner
01-17-2013, 05:21 PM

So - in your world, how does a bright, young offensive mind become an OC? Obviously, neither one of us has a clue if he will be good or not. But - every single coordinator in this league had to have someone take a chance on him, and had to come from some positional coaching position. What makes you think you have any idea if Gase will be good or not?

PS - Whisenhunt is as good as gone next year. Why would you want a one year rental? Especially if all the terminology, etc would have to change?

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Just go four wide on 3rd and short and watch Mike's head esplode. Problem solved.

Now that was funny.

baja
01-17-2013, 07:03 PM
called this

Hamrob
01-17-2013, 07:09 PM
I'm mixed on this.

Gase is a good coach...up and coming.....but, we didn't gain anything either. Yet.

Let's see who they bring in as QB coach.

Moore?

baja
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
called this

KipCorrington25
01-17-2013, 07:37 PM
I'm just happy it wasn't Ben McDaniels.

Taco John
01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey guys. Guess what Baja did...

theAPAOps5
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
So could you say this is the beginning of the Josh McDaniels coaching tree......... :wave::angel:

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
You are lying:

No, you're just not reading.

Gase has been coaching for almost a decade in the NFL at various positions. WR and QB in Denver.

Right - he's an inexperienced newbie OC, like I said. There is no conflict here.

swaiy
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM

Smoked a bowl ???

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Smoked a bowl ???

Fell into the potty?

swaiy
01-17-2013, 08:24 PM

Right - he's an inexperienced newbie OC, like I said. There is no conflict here.

I think he was making the connection with how you said Gase brings nothing to the table and then a few posts later completely contradicting that by saying no one had said that.

The Te'o Touch™

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 08:24 PM
So - in your world, how does a bright, young offensive mind become an OC? Obviously, neither one of us has a clue if he will be good or not. But - every single coordinator in this league had to have someone take a chance on him, and had to come from some positional coaching position. What makes you think you have any idea if Gase will be good or not?

PS - Whisenhunt is as good as gone next year. Why would you want a one year rental? Especially if all the terminology, etc would have to change?

I want a proven person with OC experience when we're on the verge of playing in the Super Bowl. I don't think that's too much to ask, not a QB coach with a little late-season playcalling. I'm horrified at the thought.

As far as Whisenhunt, we don't know that.

extralife
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Fine hire by me

I do have one concern, though: now we need a QB guy to help bring Brock along. Continuity at the QB coach position would have been nice for him.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
I think he was making the connection with how you said Gase brings nothing to the table and then a few posts later completely contradicting that by saying no one had said that.

The Te'o Touch™

I said he was a newbie OC with no experience. I meant no experience at OC, and this is a correct statement.

Rohirrim
01-17-2013, 08:37 PM
I called this. :puff:

swaiy
01-17-2013, 08:47 PM

That's what you said.

You also said no one said that.

Honestly, I dont care one way or the other but I have to admit it's kind of weird you keep evading that part of your statement.

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
That's what you said.

You also said no one said that.

Honestly, I dont care one way or the other but I have to admit it's kind of weird you keep evading that part of your statement.

Context.

and

Is he an experienced OC, sir?

swaiy
01-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Context.

and

Is he an experienced OC, sir?

I never said he was. The whole point is you said he brings nothing to the table lol.

He may be inexperienced as an offensive coordinator but you've shined up your crystal ball real good and foresee that he isn't qualified.

SPORTSWRITER
01-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Yep! You got it! Peyton is the OC for as long as he plays well in Denver.

Bigdawg26
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Yep! You got it! Peyton is the OC for as long as he plays well in Denver.

Yeah, that's true! McCoy should really send Manning a thank you card for getting a HC job. Also, I think Gase will get a HC job too from being Manning's yes man.

Kaylore
01-18-2013, 08:03 AM
FYI they passed on Wisenhunt for Gase. Wisenhunt didn't turn us down. We had our choice. The continuity of the offense was a driving force behind it.

spdirty
01-18-2013, 08:56 AM
I really like what he's been saying...faster and more points. That sounds like maybe an indirect shot at McCoy, maybe he wasn't getting the play in in a way that would suit Manning and Gase.

I think this move will work out just fine.:)

Gutless Drunk
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Gase says he wants to work in more vertical passing and get the ball in the hands of #88 more.

Listen at:
http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/EvansKlatt/story.aspx?ID=1866032

BroncoBeavis
01-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Gase says he wants to work in more vertical passing and get the ball in the hands of #88 more.

Listen at:
http://www.1043thefan.com/Channels/EvansKlatt/story.aspx?ID=1866032

Does he call McCoy a nutless sack? If not, I'm not ready to accept it yet. :)

Requiem
01-18-2013, 10:09 AM

You are full of sh-t. You said he brought nothing to the table.

Who has ~ 15 years in coaching as football, with a third of it being with this franchise. He has just as much experience as the guy you were drooling over by the time he was promoted to OC in Pittsburgh. Seriously. You have no legitimate criticism of the guy, his knowledge or what he brings to the table. All you are saying is that he is Whiz.

Talk X's and O's on why you don't like Gase or why you feel he won't be successful in the NFL. Right now, you are just making a fool of yourself.

Chris
01-18-2013, 10:14 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3W7ojncI6YY/T2-RsOCeSmI/AAAAAAAAAts/ass5rBKoBT0/s1600/robert+deniro+smoking+godfather+GIF.gif

...I gotta tell ya... I like everything this gase fellow is saying...

ColoradoDarin
01-18-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm fine with Gase as OC for Manning, what I'm hoping for is him (and the new QB coach) to be able to groom the next QB after Manning, be that Oz or someone else.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 11:07 AM
sounds like he wants to unleash Manning to his full potential and make Thomas our Calvin Johnson.
i'm more interested in the running game he employs and who they hire as the new QB coach.

outdoor_miner
01-18-2013, 11:23 AM
FYI they passed on Wisenhunt for Gase. Wisenhunt didn't turn us down. We had our choice. The continuity of the offense was a driving force behind it.

Was this published, or something you heard? Just curious.

pricejj
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
I really like what he's been saying...faster and more points. That sounds like maybe an indirect shot at McCoy, maybe he wasn't getting the play in in a way that would suit Manning and Gase.

I think this move will work out just fine.:)

Manning had to call a couple time-outs on 3rd down because McCoy wasn't ready with the play.

Hopefully Gase employs the ultra-fast hurry up sporadically, now that the Offense has had some time together.

BroncoBeavis
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Manning had to call a couple time-outs on 3rd down because McCoy wasn't ready with the play.

Flipping a coin to decide between the 1 and 2 hole takes time.

Kaylore
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Was this published, or something you heard? Just curious.

It was reported on the news locally here in Denver. They didn't cite the source since it obviously was off the record but the source was "extroardinarily credible" (read probably John Fox).

R8R H8R
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
It was reported on the news locally here in Denver. They didn't cite the source since it obviously was off the record but the source was "extroardinarily credible" (read probably John Fox).

Interesting. Assuming this report is true, then when they talked to Whiz, they must have realized that Whiz's offensive philosophy did not jive with the current PM "system". Thus, the emphasis on "continuity". Makes sense to me.

Kaylore
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
I think, and this is also what the sources said, it had less to do with Whisenhunt's offense "not fitting" and more to do with Gase being able to keep things going. If they didn't think his philosophy was going to work, they wouldn't have interviewed him in the first place. Remember that they liked everyone they brought in and chose the best. It wasn't a "Gase is good and everyone sucks" decision.

frerottenextelway
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
It's a boring choice, but probably the correct one.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 01:29 PM
i think that the Gase decision reflects what we all know. Manning doesn't like changes in his routine. he is very tight with and very loyal to his coaches.
he likes everything to be the same so that he can focus on things.

Gase already has Manning's trust and can help keep the continuity with the entire offense and the key players in it.
i think it's very important that we get a RB in the draft to help elevate the running game and allow Manning to hand off more and take less hits.
i have no issue with Gase getting the job, i half expected it.
only thing i wanted was for him to get more seasoning before taking the role as the OC. but he's more than likely ready for the job.
Fox hasn't been wrong in most of his coaching staff choices so i can't question this one.

baja
01-18-2013, 01:42 PM
i think that the Gase decision reflects what we all know. Manning doesn't like changes in his routine. he is very tight with and very loyal to his coaches.
he likes everything to be the same so that he can focus on things.

Gase already has Manning's trust and can help keep the continuity with the entire offense and the key players in it.
i think it's very important that we get a RB in the draft to help elevate the running game and allow Manning to hand off more and take less hits.
i have no issue with Gase getting the job, i half expected it.
only thing i wanted was for him to get more seasoning before taking the role as the OC. but he's more than likely ready for the job.
Fox hasn't been wrong in most of his coaching staff choices so i can't question this one.

It was reported that Gase was being groomed to take over the OC spot when McCoy was tapped for a HC position (as has been anticipated for a while) before Manning signed with Denver. I think he will be great at it and be an asset to Maning.

SouthStndJunkie
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
The more I read about Adam Gase, the more I like the choice of him as offensive coordinator....if he's going to be up tempo and aggressive, then I'm all for it.

Chris
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Just please no hoodies and sideline fist pumps.

Drek
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
I like it. Gase brings some fresh insight to the table. McCoy was already educated in Fox's ultra-conservative offense when they were together in Carolina and he was never allowed to really get involved with McDaniels, so the conservatism when he finally got the reigns wasn't surprising.

Gase started out in the college ranks under Saban, then worked with Mariucci in Detroit (the only time Jon Kitna looked like a serviceable QB was with Gase at QB coach), and then had a nice track record here with us as WR coach. He clearly understands multiple layers of NFL offenses and has a more pass oriented background than McCoy, which is where this team needs to go.

Hopefully he incorporates some west coast elements (RB screens!) and more vertical passing into the offense. The former would help open up the middle of the field for our running game, the later is a valuable home run tool any team with Thomas and Decker should be looking to exploit.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
It was reported that Gase was being groomed to take over the OC spot when McCoy was tapped for a HC position (as has been anticipated for a while) before Manning signed with Denver. I think he will be great at it and be an asset to Maning.

oh i remember, that was when most fans were pissed as heck because they thought McCoy and Gase were both screw ups and should get canned.

eddie mac
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Gase has been replaced by Greg Knapp as QB Coach, guy has 10 years out of his last 12 as an offensive co-ordinator with the Texans, Falcons and most recently the Raiders.

Lestat
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
really smart hire, allows Gase to be the OC but also have an experienced guy to fall back on for ideas and helping learn the nuances on the role.
plus he's good at developing QB's so it helps with Brock as well as Manning's continued rehab.

baja
01-18-2013, 07:33 PM
I like it. Gase brings some fresh insight to the table. McCoy was already educated in Fox's ultra-conservative offense when they were together in Carolina and he was never allowed to really get involved with McDaniels, so the conservatism when he finally got the reigns wasn't surprising.

Gase started out in the college ranks under Saban, then worked with Mariucci in Detroit (the only time Jon Kitna looked like a serviceable QB was with Gase at QB coach), and then had a nice track record here with us as WR coach. He clearly understands multiple layers of NFL offenses and has a more pass oriented background than McCoy, which is where this team needs to go.

Hopefully he incorporates some west coast elements (RB screens!) and more vertical passing into the offense. The former would help open up the middle of the field for our running game, the later is a valuable home run tool any team with Thomas and Decker should be looking to exploit.

Most importantly Manning thinks highly of him and they work well together. I look for some fresh creativity from the duo

baja
01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
oh i remember, that was when most fans were pissed as heck because they thought McCoy and Gase were both screw ups and should get canned.

Ya then.

baja
01-18-2013, 08:08 PM

He's been saying Gase was penciled in as OC all season and you would know that if you didn't show up about as much as Mother Teresa visited a topless bar.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 08:34 PM

That does make sense. Wisenhunt will be looking for another head coaching job next year.

broncobum6162
01-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Sorta what I'm thinking...more boring conservative play not to lose.....

BroncosfanGuy
09-07-2013, 01:07 PM
1 game in, but I think we upgraded at offensive coordinator from last year. Thanks, San Diego.

ColoradoDarin
09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I'm fine with Gase as OC for Manning, what I'm hoping for is him (and the new QB coach) to be able to groom the next QB after Manning, be that Oz or someone else.

And from what I've seen in the growth from last preseason to this one, Oz is much improved. Additionally, I liked Gase's playcalling on Thursday night (helps when almost everything works).

Agamemnon
09-07-2013, 03:53 PM
1 game in, but I think we upgraded at offensive coordinator from last year. Thanks, San Diego.

Indeed. McCoy was crap. All he really proved is that anyone can have success with Peyton Manning and some good receivers.

TomServo
09-08-2013, 01:45 AM

just like flacco. Rivers just isnt very good without a long tall wideout to go up and catch his duck passes. That weird shotput passing motion isnt so cute nowadays is it?

OABB
09-08-2013, 07:14 AM

I couldn't be happier. Losing McCoy was the best thing to happen this offseason.

gunns
09-08-2013, 07:23 AM

I don't know much about Gase. Loved the game on Thursday and hope he was an integral to that. But I am thrilled McCoy is gone. Didn't like him as a QB at the U of U, did not like him with the Broncos. He's where he belongs.

Pony Boy
09-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I think Manning and Welker on the same page can make a coach look like a genius, he will be a hot commodity at the end of the season

Kaylore
09-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Adam Gase is a good coach. Everything he's been asked to coach has improved.

jutang
09-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Guy looks like he'll be the best offensive coordinator since Kubiak was here. Talent at his disposal is rediculous. The offense will need to run the ball better especially when facing nickel fronts the majority of time.