PDA

View Full Version : T'eo's Dead Girlfriend a Hoax?

Pages : [1] 2

Hercules Rockefeller
01-16-2013, 03:02 PM
http://deadspin.com/5976517/manti-teos-dead-girlfriend-the-most-heartbreaking-and-inspirational-story-of-the-college-football-season-is-a-hoax

Either Te'o is ****ed or Deadspin is about to cease to exist.

bombay
01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Unbelievaginable.

Elway 4 Life
01-16-2013, 03:07 PM
If it is a hoax then I sure hope we don't draft this headcase.

StugotsIII
01-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Wow.

Kaylore
01-16-2013, 03:21 PM
There's a rumor that he's gay and that was one of the "real" reasons he didn't go to BYU.

RhymesayersDU
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Ridiculous story. Great read. Love Deadspin.

gunns
01-16-2013, 03:22 PM
It has to be true. Mormons don't lie!

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2013, 03:26 PM
If this is true, no NFL team will touch the guy and rightly so.

outdoor_miner
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow - this is going to blow up. Tremendous job of piecing things together by Deadspin.

broncosteven
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
If true that is F'ed up.

Some thing about this kid screams Ray Maualuga to me, over hyped and slightly crazy.

After watching his play in the BCS Championship I don't know if he will pan out. Doesn't seem worth a 1st round pick. Could have been a bad day but something seemed Tebow type fishy about this guy all year.

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2013, 03:28 PM
If this was all a hoax, it should be easy to prove that Lennay never existed.

El Minion
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Compelling evidence:

Manti Te'o did lose his grandmother this past fall. Annette Santiago died on Sept. 11, 2012, at the age of 72, according to Social Security Administration records in Nexis. But there is no SSA record there of the death of Lennay Marie Kekua, that day or any other. Her passing, recounted so many times in the national media, produces no obituary or funeral announcement in Nexis, and no mention in the Stanford student newspaper.

Nor is there any report of a severe auto accident involving a Lennay Kekua. Background checks turn up nothing. The Stanford registrar's office has no record that a Lennay Kekua ever enrolled. There is no record of her birth in the news. Outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts, there's no online evidence that Lennay Kekua ever existed.

The photographs identified as Kekua—in online tributes and on TV news reports—are pictures from the social-media accounts of a 22-year-old California woman who is not named Lennay Kekua. She is not a Stanford graduate; she has not been in a severe car accident; and she does not have leukemia. And she has never met Manti Te'o.

....And he loved his late maternal grandmother, Annette Santiago. (Here's her obituary (http://obits.staradvertiser.com/2012/09/22/annette-kalama-keala-santiago/).)

Gutless Drunk
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Notre Dame Statement: Manti Te’o

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

https://www.facebook.com/NDFootball/posts/553537038009180

bfoflcommish
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
If this was all a hoax, it should be easy to prove that Lennay never existed.

have you read the deadspin story? they pretty much proved it

Kaylore
01-16-2013, 03:32 PM

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Te’o and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown

So did he have an exlusively online relationship with her?

My wife is always watching this show called "Catfish" which has nothing to do with catfish at all, but is about how normal (supposedly) people have these extensive relationships people online who are not who they are pretending to be.

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2013, 03:34 PM
have you read the deadspin story? they pretty much proved it

Yah, I read it. The thing is there will need to be some more investigation because this is a serious allegation, no? I'm thinking another news agency will have to confirm the story, as will Notre Dame. One interwebz story by deadspin does not make it true IMHO.

bfoflcommish
01-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Yah, I read it. The thing is there will need to be some more investigation because this is a serious allegation, no? I'm thinking another news agency will have to confirm the story, as will Notre Dame. One interwebz story by deadspin does not make it true IMHO.

see above!! they knew about it.

NFLBRONCO
01-16-2013, 03:44 PM

My wife is always watching this show called "Catfish" which has nothing to do with catfish at all, but is about how normal (supposedly) people have these extensive relationships people online who are not who they are pretending to be.

Should have called NEV

Kid A
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Dennis Brown

A friend of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo told us he was "80 percent sure" that Manti Te'o was "in on it," and that the two perpetrated Lennay Kekua's death with publicity in mind. According to the friend, there were numerous photos of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and Te'o together on Tuiasosopo's now-deleted Instagram account.

The sheer quantity of falsehoods about Manti's relationship with Lennay makes that friend, and another relative of Ronaiah's, believe Te'o had to know the truth. Mostly, though, the friend simply couldn't believe that Te'o would be stupid enough—or Ronaiah Tuiasosopo clever enough—to sustain the relationship for nearly a year.

Seems likely Te'o was very much in on this, saw it could get out, came up with a catfishing cover and went to ND with it, and ND had this release ready for when it broke. Not sure they had planned, though, for the detail and heft of the Deadspin evidence, as reading the full article makes it really hard to believe the "Te'o got tricked" storyline.

SouthStndJunkie
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Wow....Manti Te’o has to be ****ting his magic underwear right about now.

Br0nc0Buster
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM
lol This is just bizarre

And his draft stock continues to plummet

broncosteven
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM

I saw the movie Catfish, did they make it into a TV show too?

It was a pretty good documentary. They got duped into believing an artist was this young girl or something and they surprised her with a visit an went to see her and it was a middleaged woman who kept lieing to them then changing the lie.

I think in the end they were still friendly to each other but it was all kinda odd. They started out making a documentary about one thing and then it morphed into something they weren't expecting.

Kid A
01-16-2013, 03:50 PM
It looks like a major Catholic institution might be trying to cover up misdeeds by one of its public figures? Hard to fathom, I know.

Gutless Drunk
01-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Selfish bastard, does this mean we can't have Kevin Minter?

Kid A
01-16-2013, 03:52 PM
lol This is just bizarre

All the way to 28th?! Middle linebacker, emotional leader, sketchy alibi...could be the next Ray Lewis!

Kid A
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Manti Te'o wasn't missing tackles in the National Championship, he was hugging his girlfriend.</p>&mdash; Stephen Douglas (@CRM_Stephen) <a href="https://twitter.com/CRM_Stephen/status/291672242281127937" data-datetime="2013-01-16T22:24:16+00:00">January 16, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DenverBroncosJM
01-16-2013, 03:56 PM
I saw the movie Catfish, did they make it into a TV show too?

It was a pretty good documentary. They got duped into believing an artist was this young girl or something and they surprised her with a visit an went to see her and it was a middleaged woman who kept lieing to them then changing the lie.

I think in the end they were still friendly to each other but it was all kinda odd. They started out making a documentary about one thing and then it morphed into something they weren't expecting.

Yah they guy that got duped now does a weekly show ousting these fakes. To be fair in everyone one I have seen there is glaring issues that should have set someone's spidey senses off.

The Joker
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
It looks like a major Catholic institution might be trying to cover up misdeeds by one of its public figures? Hard to fathom, I know.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-8gHfViVHpdk/UBnh-LJQ5sI/AAAAAAAAADA/i3cIwI20dEM/s1600/OhSnapBlackKid7478154.gif

Chris
01-16-2013, 04:08 PM
All the way to 28th?! Middle linebacker, emotional leader, sketchy alibi...could be the next Ray Lewis!

Sorry you have kill real people to stay rich like Ray Lewis.

DomCasual
01-16-2013, 04:29 PM
People are haters, and they're blowing this out of proportion. Manti is a high profile guy, and people are jealous of him. What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, this is history repeating itself all over again. I'm proud of Manti. He only is what he is because he was born that way. Jealousy will get people nowhere.

Anyway, Manti is over it. He already has a new girlfriend. They are trying to keep a low profile, but he's told close friends about her. They met a couple months ago, while Manti was pulling an orphan out of a burning building. After Manti saved the orphan, he stayed by the bedside for 16 straight days, all day and all night. In the process, he met this new girlfriend, who was in the hospital after having been in a horseback-riding accident. She and Manti hit it off - they pretty much knew each other in the preexistence. Unfortunately, shortly after they discovered they were soul mates, his new girlfriend found out she was in the early stages of leprosy. The timing was rough, because Manti was about to introduce her to his family. Now, she's in isolation, with the leprosy. Manti skypes with her all night - even while she's sleeping, and stuff.

I don't want to betray any confidences, or anything. But you have to see this girl. She's totally beautiful. I'm friends with one of Manti's best friends, and Manti gave him a picture of his new girl. Take a look. She's a total babe (she's the one with the long hair)!

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/IH/esq-katherine-webb-alabama-football-xl.jpeg

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 04:32 PM

Love this show! The term catfish came from a quote in the movie.

This Te'o story is the ODDEST thing....in the words of borat...wowowweewow

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 04:34 PM
People are haters, and they're blowing this out of proportion. Manti is a high profile guy, and people are jealous of him. What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, this is history repeating itself all over again. I'm proud of Manti. He only is what he is because he was born that way. Jealousy will get people nowhere.

Anyway, Manti is over it. He already has a new girlfriend. They are trying to keep a low profile, but he's told close friends about her. They met a couple months ago, while Manti was pulling an orphan out of a burning building. After Manti saved the orphan, he stayed by the bedside for 16 straight days, all day and all night. In the process, he met this new girlfriend, who was in the hospital after having been in a horseback-riding accident. She and Manti hit it off - they pretty much knew each other in the preexistence. Unfortunately, shortly after they discovered they were soul mates, his new girlfriend found out she was in the early stages of leprosy. The timing was rough, because Manti was about to introduce her to his family. Now, she's in isolation, with the leprosy. Manti skypes with her all night - even while she's sleeping, and stuff.

I don't want to betray any confidences, or anything. But you have to see this girl. She's totally beautiful. I'm friends with one of Manti's best friends, and Manti gave him a picture of his new girl. Take a look. She's a total babe (she's the one with the long hair)!

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/IH/esq-katherine-webb-alabama-football-xl.jpeg

HAHAHAHHAA

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
see above!! they knew about it.

what deadspin is saying is that Te'o is in on this scam and what they are suggesting is that Tiosussoppi and him fabricated the whole thing. That's a lot different than what Notre Dame is now claiming. Deadspin is making some serious accusations that don't even match up with what ND is now saying.

Gutless Drunk
01-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Te'o issued a statement Wednesday afternoon:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

TheReverend
01-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Here's my only question with this whole situation:

How can such a beta bitch be such a good linebacker?

extralife
01-16-2013, 04:47 PM
looks like Teo really wanted that Heisman trophy. when you can't tackle anyone, sometimes you gotta make up stories about leukemia car crashes, I guess.

****, I wish I had heard of this story at some point before this. car crash into leukemia? fluff pieces in student newspaper about the entire relationship? she's dying and he never visited her? and yet his voice almost took her out of a coma (give me a ****ing break!)? her last words are "I love you" and we are privy to this, which means someone felt like sharing them with the press? I would have called it fake long ago.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 04:49 PM

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her.

"To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating.

"It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life.

"I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been.

"In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was.

"Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8851033/story-manti-teo-girlfriend-death-apparently-hoax

I dont buy this for even half a second. There's no way he'd go public about an online relationship with someone he never met. That's complete horse****.

peacepipe
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
In an interview with ESPN for College GameDay on Oct. 2, Te'o said that Kekua's last words to him were "I love you." He also said that she was "the most beautiful girl I've ever met."

Either te'o is a complete moron or he was in it for the publicity. I believe it's the latter.

DomCasual
01-16-2013, 04:51 PM
HAHAHAHHAA

Okay, I don't know what's funny. Are you implying that the story isn't true?

Whatever.

Here's a picture that would seem to prove it.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9088/mantigirlfriend.jpg

Tombstone RJ
01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Sounds to me like Te'o was in on the scam, along with this Tuiossooppoo guy and I'm thinking Te'o family too. I mean how can his parents not know this is a scam too?

DomCasual
01-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Wait, I thought they "met" at a Notre Dame-Stanford game? And I thought she "visited" him in Hawaii?

Do I have that wrong?

extralife
01-16-2013, 05:00 PM
the best part about this: everyone can finally go back to hating Notre Dame. things were getting hairy for a while there.

razorwire77
01-16-2013, 05:03 PM

And so the damage control spin begins and the story changes. After this bizarre story and the terrible BCS performance, If he puts up some pedestrian numbers at the combine, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he drops all the way to the bottom of the 1st round.

El Minion
01-16-2013, 05:08 PM
http://www.drunktiki.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/ruh-roh.jpg

Ruh-roh (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/teo-girlfriend-hoax-creates-confusion-could-impact-draft-stock/):

The Notre Dame statement creates more questions than it answers, because it paints Te’o as the victim. But how can Te’o be the victim of a false relationship that apparently involved more than online contact between Te’o and someone who never existed? Te’o and Kakua supposedly had met, she supposedly had visited him in Hawaii, and he supposedly had spent hours interacting with her and her family via phone.

Meanwhile, it’s convenient to say the least that Notre Dame became aware of the hoax the day after Christmas and said nothing about it until after the story broke.

The Deadspin item seems to imply strongly that Te’o wasn’t the victim but the instigator, possibly working with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo (a member of the well-known Tuiasosopo football family) to manufacture a personal tragedy for the purposes of widespread publicity — publicity that nearly resulted in Te’o becoming the first true defensive player to win the Heisman Trophy.

Te’o has many questions to answer regarding the situation. Regardless of whether he does so publicly, he’ll be doing so privately in the interviews and meetings that will precede the draft. Teams will want to know whether he can be trusted, and likewise what flaw possibly exists in his personality to prompt the fabrication of a girlfriend who would die during the season and draw Gipper-like attention to his football career.

“It could be ugly,” one league source with extensive knowledge of the pre-draft process told PFT.

Actually, it’s already ugly.

Rohirrim
01-16-2013, 05:09 PM

And my wife really likes Downton Abby. :~ohyah!:

Heyneck
01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Honest question - Are you guys telling me that if Te'o drops to us, we don't run to the podium?

TheReverend
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
$100000000 says Teo's gay and he was trying to cover that up with this fake girlfriend bit.

extralife
01-16-2013, 05:11 PM
I think he'll be off of a lot of draft boards entirely.

extralife
01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
$100000000 says Teo's gay and he was trying to cover that up with this fake girlfriend bit.

he wanted a heisman trophy. if you want to pretend to not be gay, there are plenty of Real Girls in the world, I promise.

Rohirrim
01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
http://sawyerspeaks.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/not-that-theres-anything-wrong-with-that-png.png?w=590

TheReverend
01-16-2013, 05:18 PM
he wanted a heisman trophy. if you want to pretend to not be gay, there are plenty of Real Girls in the world, I promise.

But then you have to touch one when all you really want is some man-butt.

extralife
01-16-2013, 05:20 PM
all you have to do is put your arm around her for the cameras a couple times a month.

Rohirrim
01-16-2013, 05:22 PM

See that guy with the Hitler mustache behind her? Where are his hands?

RhymesayersDU
01-16-2013, 05:26 PM
I think he'll be off of a lot of draft boards entirely.

LOL LOL LOL

Beyond silly.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 05:31 PM

I have a friend that goes there and apparently he's a player. But maybe she's getting false info.

One things for sure, he's a ****ing sociopath

24champ
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Maybe I am in the minority here but I'd still draft Teo assuming he slides to us late in the first round. Gay, crazy or whatever he is, he can play MLB and replaces old man Brooking.

Lestat
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
not that i needed another reason to hate Notre Dame.
still, if he falls to #28 i snap him up.

Bronco Yoda
01-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Hope it's true or at least everyone believes it's true. Drop baby drop!!!!!!!! I would totally draft this gay lying crazy ass Mormon in a heartbeat.

2KBack
01-16-2013, 06:04 PM

Polynesian and and super devout Mormon....trying to divert people from the gay trail was my first thought.

RaiderH8r
01-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Barrett Jones in the first but if he's there in the second then let's get it done...maybe.

RedskinBronco
01-16-2013, 06:10 PM
This is some bizarre ****

gunns
01-16-2013, 06:11 PM

The Mane

jutang
01-16-2013, 07:14 PM
Dude knew this was the only to fall to 28 and become a bronco. Actually he was thinking 32, but underestimated the stupidity of Moore.

Chris
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2211929_o.gif

Rep.

24champ
01-16-2013, 07:52 PM
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2211929_o.gif

Rep.

Boogie Nights rep.Hilarious!

broncocalijohn
01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
lol This is just bizarre

Now pricejj has him as his 7th favorite LB to draft in the first round.

Toshiro Takashi
01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
If this is true, no NFL team will touch the guy and rightly so.
http://espn.go.com/photo/2012/0508/nfl_u_davis_wm_400.jpg

Action
01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd wait until the combine and all that before making final judgements, but I highly doubt the Broncos will have him on the board. Elway already emphasized that he puts a lot of weight into character that dates all the way back to high school.

Personally, I wouldn't consider this guy at all. You're drafting him as the MLB of your team... you can't be having this type of mess going on. It's simply not worth it. At least not for a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Based on the story of deadspin, he was clearly in on it depending on whether you believe he's extremely naive and stupid or if you believe he's a liar.

If he slips further then yes...bring him in. But this garbage will definitely bring his draft stock down...

nyuk nyuk
01-16-2013, 08:27 PM
At this point I think 50/50 this was Te'o's doing to get publicity. We'll see how it unfolds.

Action
01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Quite frankly, I'm not sure how you can say he wasn't somehow involved. He obviously sees all the reports in the news... I mean this isn't just small news markets...his tweets and stories were being displayed on MAJOR NEWS OUTLETS... about talking to her, seeing her at Stanford..etc.

RhymesayersDU
01-16-2013, 08:33 PM
This board is hilarious. He's still being drafted first round.

Action
01-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Not if he runs a 4.8 and completely screws up answering questions at the combine.

Kid A
01-16-2013, 09:11 PM
This video was already hilarious, but in light of the Te'o story it's almost too perfect (takes about a minute to get to the relevant part):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fcbj8BBsWSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pricejj
01-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Now pricejj has him as his 7th favorite LB to draft in the first round.

If I had a nickel for each time an OMANE 'analyst' clowned me for saying Te'o had late 1st round talent, I'd have at least a dollar.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Regardless of Draft position,He probably lost some initial endorsements cause of this

Taco John
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM

I agree with this, but I still think he's going to fall. No one wants to invest top 5 money in a head case. The league has had plenty of talented head cases, and if there is one thing I've learned about sports is that while headcases may win NBA championships, they do NOT win Superbowls.

Bronco X
01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
Honestly, with all the coverage of the story in the first place, I wonder why it took so long for this story to come out. What does it say about all the media outlets that ran with this story? I mean, none of them would have a reason to suspect he's lying but you think they'd follow up with it just for the sake of covering the story.

If he fell in the draft, a player in a position of need and talent wise the probably the best available, it's hard to pass. But man, it's a hell of a red flag. It's not hard to imagine the peculiar and pathological stupidity one would need to try and pull something like this getting in the way of a successful pro career.

broncocalijohn
01-16-2013, 10:19 PM
If I had a nickel for each time an OMANE 'analyst' clowned me for saying Te'o had late 1st round talent, I'd have at least a dollar.

It has nothing to do with this year's draft as much as a thread started by you hyping up the next defensive end or tackle of the 2012 draft. Then next day telling us about who you really think is the bomb.

McDman
01-16-2013, 10:23 PM
The crazy thing is he said he was duped and didn't know but multiple times it says he and his family met her.

Deadspin does a lot of dumb stuff but once every year or so they break off a pretty good investigative journalism story. They ousted that one girl for scamming ESPN and random betters online. And we all know the Favre peen story.

R-Mac
01-16-2013, 10:26 PM

That's what people said about Vontaze Burfict.

Kid A
01-16-2013, 10:30 PM
The more I've thought about this, I think I'm willing to consider the possibility Manti's catfishing story could be true. A lot of things to explain, but...

1) Notre Dame does seem to be sticking their neck out in supporting his story, including a press conference. I joked earlier about that institution and coverups, but they have likely been looking into the story for a couple weeks and seemed confident in publicly going on record with this story.

2) A lot of arguments that Te'o had to be in on it hinge on his statements about having met or seen her. But, if we accept the story that he was gullible enough to fall for this fake online relationship (and it's obviously well documented that lots of people do fall for these things), and did develop an emotional attachment and believes it's a real relationship, of course he might talk about it with family and friends. While sharing about her, though, he just also might try to cover the embarrassing fact they haven't actually met in person. That was an awkward detail he believed would be remedied soon, that she was stringing him along with excuses about not being able to meet and so on. So he fabricated a story about meeting at Stanford, vacation meetup plans, etc.

So he's obviously been lying. But I think it is possible that his lies involved him trying to cover up what he believed was an embarrassing fact: he had a girlfriend that he had only talked with online.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 10:37 PM
The more I've thought about this, I think I'm willing to consider the possibility Manti's catfishing story could be true. A lot of things to explain, but...

1) Notre Dame does seem to be sticking their neck out in supporting his story, including a press conference. I joked earlier about that institution and coverups, but they have likely been looking into the story for a couple weeks and seemed confident in publicly going on record with this story.

2) A lot of arguments that Te'o had to be in on it hinge on his statements about having met or seen her. But, if we accept the story that he was gullible enough to fall for this fake online relationship (and it's obviously well documented that lots of people do fall for these things), and did develop an emotional attachment and believes it's a real relationship, of course he might talk about it with family and friends. While sharing about her, though, he just also might try to cover the embarrassing fact they haven't actually met in person. That was an awkward detail he believed would be remedied soon, that she was stringing him along with excuses about not being able to meet and so on. So he fabricated a story about meeting at Stanford, vacation meetup plans, etc.

So he's obviously been lying. But I think it is possible that his lies involved him trying to cover up what he believed was an embarrassing fact: he had a girlfriend that he had only talked with online.

If he was actually duped, he has to be the dumbest mother ****er in the history of the world. But who was the girl he was talking to for hours and hours and hours a night? And why would his family claim to have met her? Also, why the hell would you go to the MEDIA about this???

It just doesnt add up.

pricejj
01-16-2013, 10:52 PM
It has nothing to do with this year's draft as much as a thread started by you hyping up the next defensive end or tackle of the 2012 draft. Then next day telling us about who you really think is the bomb.

Starting draft threads about speed-burning WR's, or versatile DE's is hardly telling you who "I really think is the bomb". I was doing it as a creative way to explore the draft. We all knew the Broncos would draft a DT in the first two rounds in 2012...the question was which one, which I alluded to in "DT's and the dusty road to Denver".

I was dead set on Wolfe for about a month leading up to the draft. It's well documented. Again...like the last time you brought it up...all you have to do is look it up.

Ratboy
01-16-2013, 10:55 PM
If he was actually duped, he has to be the dumbest mother ****er in the history of the world. But who was the girl he was talking to for hours and hours and hours a night? And why would his family claim to have met her? Also, why the hell would you go to the MEDIA about this???

It just doesnt add up.

I watched a Dr. Phil episode (don't judge, it's the best TV on AFN during work) and they had 3 women who were in a relationship with a man over the internet. They talked on the phone for hours, texted, said "I love you", you name it. Of course they never met and the guy kept making excuses about meeting. Once instance this guy even had his sister call the girls and give excuses. Well Dr. Phil does some investigating and finds out the guy was actually a girl playing the guy.

I'm not sure why a football star needs to resort to having an online girlfriend when a majority of college girls would throw their twat at him, but people are wired differently. Maybe I am giving Te'o the benefit of the doubt, but it's totally possible he was scammed.

Kid A nailed it with his #2 point. I would be embarrassed about being emotionally attached to a person that was created to scam. People probably questioned him about having this online girlfriend and used the "Oh, we met @ X , Y , and X before!"

Action
01-16-2013, 10:56 PM

Interesting take on the story...and if that's what he fed to Notre Dame I could see why they would believe it.

However, what about the part of where the probable guy behind this Lennay Kekua (Ronaiah Tuiasosopo) knowing Teo?

Ratboy
01-16-2013, 11:00 PM
However, what about the part of where the probable guy behind this Lennay Kekua (Ronaiah Tuiasosopo) knowing Teo?

Going back to the Dr. Phil episode I watched about a similiar instance, the person who pretended to be the guy was actually friends with one of the women.

uplink
01-16-2013, 11:03 PM
if he is telling the truth, it could be the guy is gay and latched on to the girl as a cover ( a long distance relationship that didn't require the typically manly pursuit of the female that a gay guy would have trouble faking). Just a thought, but a guy in his position would have a real girl friend if he was straight.

Bigdawg26
01-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I think T'eo should go on the MTV show catfish!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 11:08 PM
I watched a Dr. Phil episode (don't judge, it's the best TV on AFN during work) and they had 3 women who were in a relationship with a man over the internet. They talked on the phone for hours, texted, said "I love you", you name it. Of course they never met and the guy kept making excuses about meeting. Once instance this guy even had his sister call the girls and give excuses. Well Dr. Phil does some investigating and finds out the guy was actually a girl playing the guy.

I'm not sure why a football star needs to resort to having an online girlfriend when a majority of college girls would throw their twat at him, but people are wired differently. Maybe I am giving Te'o the benefit of the doubt, but it's totally possible he was scammed.

Kid A nailed it with his #2 point. I would be embarrassed about being emotionally attached to a person that was created to scam. People probably questioned him about having this online girlfriend and used the "Oh, we met @ X , Y , and X before!"

Yeah, but in that interview with ESPN, Manti said he talked with her for hours and hours. So, if its true that he was duped, and he'd have to be a real idiot (i have experience in this arena, but in my case i figured it out after like a month), then there's some girl who was in on the hoax that spoke with him for all that time? That makes ZERO sense to me.

Now there's an Arizona fullback who claims to have met "Kekua" at a charity event last year? He sounds like one of those Siberian soldiers that didn't get the message the cold war was over.

Action
01-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Going back to the Dr. Phil episode I watched about a similiar instance, the person who pretended to be the guy was actually friends with one of the women.

Ok I see. However Teo was on record saying he met her and she was the most beautiful girl...that's from what I'm reading? I mean the lies that Teo is on record for and the lies that are reported are some serious lies... not just a simple, "we talked."

You're right, he could be embarrassed and just dug himself a deeper hole as time went on...this could very well be likely.

So from your theory... Teo lied about having a GF because he knew the "GF" was lying to him whom was a fake girl that lied about being a girl...

But does that explain Teo's continuous tweets about this girl? I mean is he lying to himself at some point too?

Kid A
01-16-2013, 11:24 PM

Right. Again, there are some big holes that we need filled in, but the ND people are right that it does follow the pattern of similar stories.

We're all talking about how dumb he would have to be to fall for this, but there are TV shows showing way more people than you would expect do fall for it. We keep asking how could a star football player be naive/desperate enough to be strung along, but my impression is he grew up in a fairly sheltered, religiously conservative background. This wasn't some wild jock sleeping around in high school; for all we know he very well may have the perfect personality type to fall prey to this kind of thing, despite his outward fame and athleticism.

Even if he did begin to have doubts, he very well may be the type of person to try to push those aside. And, once you let slip to friends and family about this girl you know, it could be hard to backtrack when the months drag on and you still haven't met. You start feeling like you have to make up stories to legitimize it in other people's eyes (e.g. "we met at Stanford").

The scale of this does stretch the boundaries of believability. But I'm not as ready to dismiss his story as I initially did this afternoon.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Right. Again, there are some big holes that we need filled in, but the ND people are right that it does follow the pattern of similar stories.

We're all talking about how dumb he would have to be to fall for this, but there are TV shows showing way more people than you would expect do fall for it. We keep asking how could a star football player be naive/desperate enough to be strung along, but my impression is he grew up in a fairly sheltered, religiously conservative background. This wasn't some wild jock sleeping around in high school; for all we know he very well may have the perfect personality type to fall prey to this kind of thing, despite his outward fame and athleticism.

Even if he did begin to have doubts, he very well may be the type of person to try to push those aside. And, once you let slip to friends and family about this girl you know, it could be hard to backtrack when the months drag on and you still haven't met. You start feeling like you have to make up stories to legitimize it in other people's eyes (e.g. "we met at Stanford").

The scale of this does stretch the boundaries of believability. But I'm not as ready to dismiss his story as I initially did this afternoon.

yeah, but these people don't go on ESPN and have interviews where they claim they are the love of their life...

Its not adding up.

Kid A
01-16-2013, 11:37 PM
yeah, but these people don't go on ESPN and have interviews where they claim they are the love of their life...

Its not adding up.

One of the Deadspin editors who co-wrote the report is calling bull**** on the Notre Dame claim that the fully investigated the matter. When CNN interviewed him on TV he was also very skeptical that Te'o wasn't in on it. So, to be clear, I'm inclined to go with the Deadspin's understanding. Just not getting a crystal clear picture by any means.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Not buying anything ND says about their "investigation," btw, and a close reading of the timeline of our investigation should explain why.</p>&mdash; Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) <a href="https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/291791580451438592" data-datetime="2013-01-17T06:18:28+00:00">January 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Action
01-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Manti Te’o Told Interviewer Lennay Kekua Wrote Him Letter Before Stanford Game, 31 Days After She Died

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IZh0X9FJW-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Manti Te’o discussed Lannay Kekua in an interview with Notre Dame Athletics on November 13. He told the interviewer he received the last letter from her before the Stanford game on Oct. 13. The game was 31 days after her supposed death on Sept. 12.

Maybe she wrote the letters ahead of time? Perhaps he forgot Notre Dame’s schedule…a month later? This story just keeps getting weirder.

Action
01-16-2013, 11:44 PM
http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2013/01/16/anonymous-notre-dame-football-player-he-manti-teo-lied-but-the-media-blew-it-up/

The anonymous player said that teammates knew that Te’o had reportedly only met the girl once.

“We would never bring it up. But we would look at him when he would get all emotional during media about his girl,” the player said.

When asked if he thought Te’o was a good actor, the player replied, “Very good.”

Archer81
01-17-2013, 12:04 AM
I dont think the dude is gay. But I am unsure why he would create a gf and have her die (like no one would research it?) just to get Heisman consideration.

:Broncos:

Pseudofool
01-17-2013, 12:09 AM
I can believe that any number of lonely, young, socially awkward people could fall for a fake internet girlfriend; but for Te'o? He's (likely, cynically) got real women throwing themselves at him in real life, trying to dupe him into love because of his high profile. That an internet hoax could bilk Te'o more than any real life babe seems absurd.

And that he'd believe that she was in a car accident and actually dying without actually wanting to reach out to the real human voice seems equally absurd.

I'm not sure at all what the truth is, but that Te'o was a victim in this hoax seems totally convenient and flies in the face of common sense.

Bronco X
01-17-2013, 12:25 AM
Strange that Notre Dame has gone so far in defense of T'eo... If he was in on the hoax its going to come out definitively at some point. And the Notre Dame athletic director would appear to have lied to protect a departing player. Strange, strange story.

R8R H8R
01-17-2013, 12:25 AM
This is bizarre to say the least. There are a few possibilities though:

Teo is the most naive person in the world and will believe anything, and therefore he is too much of a risk to draft high, including anywhere in the 1st round because he will be too much a distraction in the lockeroom.

Or, he is a total con-man that is also a pathological liar that is so good at his lies that he actually starts to believe them himself. If this turns out to be the case, he might be undraftable. Who could trust him?

Or, as Kid A said, maybe he got so deeply involved online that he was just embarrassed. Problem with that is this went on too long and the lies to justify "her" were too detailed.

Or, it turns out he is covering up the fact he is gay. Possibly, but then I would have to put him in the "too stupid to draft" category. Honestly, in today's day and age, it is not necessary to invent a relationship. Just stay single and do what Tebow does, say that your saving yourself for marriage. He's a Mormon right?

Oh well, I'm afraid that this kid is in too deep into this now. Not sure how he can get out of this to be honest. He's ****ed.

DomCasual
01-17-2013, 12:35 AM
From Buzzfeed, some of the best Twitter responses concerning this story:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-863-1358374441-0.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-1869-1358374441-0.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-26851-1358374360-3.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-26679-1358374360-3.jpg

peacepipe
01-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Alright I don't buy the idea that he didn't know,I believe he was a part of this from the get go. I'm just wondering where this, he is gay idea is comming from.

StugotsIII
01-17-2013, 12:54 AM
Alright I don't buy the idea that he didn't know,I believe he was a part of this from the get go. I'm just wondering where this, he is gay idea is comming from.

Agent types in the NFL ranks.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 01:14 AM
From Buzzfeed, some of the best Twitter responses concerning this story:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-863-1358374441-0.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-1869-1358374441-0.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-26851-1358374360-3.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/16/17/enhanced-buzz-26679-1358374360-3.jpg

Hilarious! The Doritos one is the best.

elsid13
01-17-2013, 03:40 AM
The only that would make this story better is that the "girlfriend" turned out to be Bobo the ass clown and they meet on eharmony.

BowlenBall
01-17-2013, 04:33 AM
Manti's stadium music from now until the end of time:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5g196vURUDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Action
01-17-2013, 04:41 AM
The gay rumors actually have logic and has legitimate base.

Some people are projecting that Manti Teo and Ronaiah Tuiasosopo were gay... this could actually explain why Teo was so emotional about his "GF." They're both on record of knowing each other... and on top of that this Ronaiah kid is a church boy...we all know the possibilities of those kids... do everything to the max to hide your truth. However no one knows how they know each other...

We do know they they both tweeted each other at a time, Ronaiah was at his USC-ND game, and possibly came down to Hawaii.

I can't fathom that Teo is that emotional over someone he never physically met or talked to with his voice. That just doesn't make any sense for someone who goes to college and is surrounded by so many people in his life considering he played football. He's not acting.

I mean you have tweets by Teo that says "@LennayKay I miss you!"

How the hell do you miss someone you've never seen? What the ****?!?!

And considering he is such a religious guy along with Ronaiah being a choir boy...it would explain why they would go to such lengths to lie about something.

Not saying he's gay 100%...but just imagine that Teo and Ronaiah were gay and now piece everything together and everything suddenly has a legitimate explanation (I could be missing something).

Action
01-17-2013, 04:51 AM
In a taped interview on Oct. 10 with Te'o's parents, Brian and Ottilia, Te'o's father said the initial meeting between Manti and Kekua came in person in late November 2009, when Notre Dame played Stanford in Palo, Alto, Calif.

The detail included the touching of hands and the fact Manti thought she was cute.

"They started out as just friends," Brian Teo added. "Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple.

"And we came to the realization that she could be our daughter-in-law. Sadly, it won't happen now."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Why would the dad confirm something like that?

Again, if you take the gay rumors into consideration, Ronaiah could easily fly to Hawaii to see Teo and Teo could tell his parents that he's going to go spend time with this girl, but she's not ready to meet them yet. I mean, if the guy is gay, this is exactly what he would have done.

And, it's on record that Teo asked Ronaiah to come to Hawaii (or the other way around I forgot).

That dad makes no sense... she just randomly flies to Hawaii and coincidently Teo was there too? Is the dad this naive too?

Action
01-17-2013, 05:05 AM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/RollTideTA/teo.gif

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz174/ericg320/Mantigirl.jpg

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad156/pmorris087/chinese_zps879fc886.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAxy0T0CUAElRFL.jpg

Action
01-17-2013, 05:10 AM
However the whole story about the Cardinals FB Reagan Mauia saying she's real completely ****s up the whole gay ordeal unless they're all on some weird ass circle. Reagan Mauia brings it back to the catfish theory since...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/16/reagan-mauia-says-lennay-kekua-is-real/

Mauia said he was introduced to Kekua by Ronaiah Tuiasosopo,

BowlenBall
01-17-2013, 05:12 AM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-16-at-5.51.41-PM-500x301.png

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BAxaeJkCMAAfmM3.jpg-large-466x700.jpeg

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BAxbfgsCAAA8XE8.jpg-large-500x684.jpeg

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BAxYMUrCcAEE22i.jpg-large-500x338.jpeg

http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BAxp9MACIAEpjjw.jpg-large.jpeg

I love the internet sometimes....

theAPAOps5
01-17-2013, 06:40 AM
I did not read the previous pages. But Jesus, this guy should have been on that new MTV show Catfish.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/catfish/series.jhtml

It's the only reason that channel is ever on in my house!

theAPAOps5
01-17-2013, 06:41 AM
The crazy thing is he said he was duped and didn't know but multiple times it says he and his family met her.

Deadspin does a lot of dumb stuff but once every year or so they break off a pretty good investigative journalism story. They ousted that one girl for scamming ESPN and random betters online. And we all know the Favre peen story.

I think they also outed the Rex Ryan foot fetish videos.

ColoradoDarin
01-17-2013, 07:14 AM
So his internet gf got to be too big of a story to just break up with her, so he had to kill her off instead, right?

I'm still confused.

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 07:22 AM
I'm not buying it. The parents mention that they never met the girl. Teo's reference to the sister being the "realest person" he knew. A season spent milking this story for all its worth. If the guy truly wasn't in on it, you've really got to question his mindset. If he'll fall for this, there'll be so many people looking to take advantage of him and be a distraction to the team that it wouldn't even be funny.

You also have to consider the lockerroom atmosphere after something like this. It would be quite difficult to be a team leader with this kind of thing always looming over your head. How could you get on a fellow player when "tell us again about your dead girlfriend" will always win the argument?

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 08:08 AM
These are great.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 09:33 AM
If I'm and NFL team there's no way I draft Te'o if there is even the slightest possibility he's gay. None. This whole thing is just creepy. If it turns out that he's not infact gay, I still don't know if I draft the guy because he's obviously got some kind of emotional baggage that is not condusive to a lockerroom.

My friggen draft board would have him with a huge red flag.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
If I'm and NFL team there's no way I draft Te'o if there is even the slightest possibility he's gay. None.

You realize there are gay football players and some may even play for the Broncos, right? There is a slight possiblity that any player you draft is gay.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 09:49 AM
You realize there are gay football players and some may even play for the Broncos, right? There is a slight possiblity that any player you draft is gay.

I'm not aware of any gay players in the NFL. But if I'm a GM, I don't want that kind of distraction in the lockerroom.

Beantown Bronco
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Nah. Tebow doesn't play for us anymore.

t-diddy
01-17-2013, 09:50 AM
You forgot, "Not that there's anything wrong with that..."

BowlenBall
01-17-2013, 10:13 AM
If I'm and NFL team there's no way I draft Te'o if there is even the slightest possibility he's gay. None. This whole thing is just creepy. If it turns out that he's not infact gay, I still don't know if I draft the guy because he's obviously got some kind of emotional baggage that is not condusive to a lockerroom.

My friggen draft board would have him with a huge red flag.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EP5qEHzz3bg/TDUFd0KNE9I/AAAAAAAABa8/DsdnpxrAct0/s1600/315-1.jpg&sa=X&ei=GjH4ULf0C-GK0AX1l4GoDA&ved=0CAkQ8wc4Gw&usg=AFQjCNHXBD--od9StBx-_gejhdZxLHd1Ww

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
I'm not aware of any gay players in the NFL. But if I'm a GM, I don't want that kind of distraction in the lockerroom.

I dont think it'd be near as much of a distraction as you think.

in fact, i think the NFL is very ready for this.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 10:15 AM
DOOONNN'T CAAAAAAAAAAAARRE!

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Yeah, but you've got to remember that Tombstone is a bigoted asshole. HE'S not ready for it. Cuz teh gayz.

http://chicago.barstoolsports.com/files/2013/01/ND_angle-NAVY_Green-480x480.jpg

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Aaaannnd the name calling and personal attacks from the libtards have begun! Like clockwork!

Pseudofool
01-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Who doesn't go to their own girlfriend's funeral? Or at least make some gesture to the family. He had to be in on it.

razorwire77
01-17-2013, 11:21 AM
He had to be in on it. The thread is completely unraveling and now he and his family are trying to spin a bold-faced lie in the Internet PR age. Not going to end well. The only thing left is his motivation behind his lies.

1.) He is gay and chose a really bizarre way of trying to stay in the closet. Dude, if you want to stay in the closet, just pull the saving yourself for marriage card.

2.) He or probably more closely his family and family advisers, devised a sort of Tim Tebow like plan to market him as an industry, and the cancer girlfriend added some spice to the narrative of his life, but the cigar exploded in his face.

If I'm a GM with a top 10 pick, I'm running as far away from him as I can (and I'm actually sort of a fan of the kid), or at least I was.

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2013, 11:22 AM

Just imagine the sack dance possibilities. :)

24champ
01-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Teo'ing

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2013/01/9FMtN.jpg

24champ
01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/BAxc-YSCcAAjUYc.jpg-large-500x668.jpeg

bronco militia
01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Seth MeyersVerified
‏@sethmeyers21
These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

24champ
01-17-2013, 12:15 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2028103/teo_medium.gif

Hilarious!

24champ
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
http://soonerpsycho.com/spfarksandpics/ndfakegirlfriend.gif

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2028103/teo_medium.gif

Hilarious!

That is so awesome. I need to watch that again.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM

I'm on my 6th go-round

24champ
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Watch this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cWmpGhIZJWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 12:55 PM
^ OMG!

At 1:30 in he does an anal beer bong!

bronco militia
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
I didn't know Garcia is white

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/thefw.com/files/2013/01/teoing2-1.jpg

Requiem
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Lololol. Hall of Fame thread.

swaiy
01-17-2013, 01:03 PM
The only thing worse than all of this is the media coverage. ESPN is turning into one long episode of As The World Turns.

I dont give a **** about his hoax-lover/psuedo-girlfriend. Just talk about some damn sports.

bronco militia
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
http://cdn.wl.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Manti-15.jpg

DomCasual
01-17-2013, 01:24 PM
Watch this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cWmpGhIZJWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't speak any Asian, but I totally got a few words in that. I think I have a natural knack for languages. There was one part when she said, "ESPN, ABC, SI, and AP." I picked right up on it.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 01:29 PM
The only thing worse than all of this is the media coverage. ESPN is turning into one long episode of As The World Turns.

I dont give a **** about his hoax-lover/psuedo-girlfriend. Just talk about some damn sports.

haha actually sports is the last thing i wanna hear about right now, or the NFL anyway, please give me anything

Action
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Apparently Lennay Kay is back on twitter:

@LennayKay: My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr01/2013/1/17/11/enhanced-buzz-29105-1358439555-4.jpg

Drunk Monkey
01-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Just imagine the sack dance possibilities. :)

http://www.weakstream.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/gay-footballer.gif

24champ
01-17-2013, 01:56 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Notre%20Dame/Manti_Teo_Online.gif

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Watch this...

^ stole this and posted it to my Facebook as "The Japanese never disappoint". Alec/RockChalk posts "Actually it's Chinese" and enough back story:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj73/thereverend316/AlecLOL_zpsbaad6442.png

I'm literally stilllaughing.

RhymesayersDU
01-17-2013, 02:39 PM
LOL @ Tombstone in this thread.

Gays are scary brosef!

24champ
01-17-2013, 02:42 PM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/bottomofthemap1/1361009D-0E46-45C6-8D88-F6DC2DA8B63F-16028-0000103A2AE11AFC.jpg

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 02:48 PM
http://www.weakstream.us/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/gay-footballer.gif

LMFAO WTH? Hilarious!

nyuk nyuk
01-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Apparently Lennay Kay is back on twitter:

@LennayKay: My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.

LOL.

Te'o made this all up himself in part for attention and probably in part to cover for being gay. If you're gay and that uncomfortable about it, then don't attend a friggin Catholic university.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
LOL @ Tombstone in this thread.

Gays are scary brosef!

meh, I have friends who are gay and I'd say the same thing to their face and they would not have a problem with it. Only the liberal mafia have a problem with it.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
meh, I have friends who are gay and I'd say the same thing to their face and they would not have a problem with it. Only the liberal mafia have a problem with it.

You have "gay friends" who wouldn't care if you told them that you wouldn't want them on your football team because they would be a "distraction?" Cool story, bro.

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 03:15 PM
You have "gay friends" who wouldn't care if you told them that you wouldn't want them on your football team? Cool story, bro.

yep. A few years back we were all at a football game together (me, some family members, him and his partner) and we got to talking about the marriage issue. He said to me "why would we want to be married?" and I said, hell, I don't know, good point. So yes, I'd have no problem telling him and his partner that I would not feel confortable with a homosexual on the football team because it can be a stumbling block for some of the players, and an all around distraction for the entire team.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 03:19 PM
Why would it be a distraction? And for the record I am a conservative Christian. I've had a gay boss and worked with two gay men and one gay woman.

BroncoInferno
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Why would it be a distraction? And for the record I am a conservative Christian. I've had a gay boss and worked with two gay men and one gay woman.

Tombstone's afraid they'll want to look at his wee wee.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 03:22 PM
yep. A few years back we were all at a football game together (me, some family members, him and his partner) and we got to talking about the marriage issue. He said to me "why would we want to be married?" and I said, hell, I don't know, good point. So yes, I'd have no problem telling him and his partner that I would not feel confortable with a homosexual on the football team because it can be a stumbling block for some of the players, and an all around distraction for the entire team.

Yeah, except they are your "friends." If you told a gay guy that was NOT your friend that you didnt want him around, i doubt he'd take very kindly to it. And if he did, he's more tolerant than you. Don't blame liberals for being accepting, and using it as some excuse for you to be a bigot

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
lulz

Archer81
01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
What in the ****ting hell has this thread devolved into?

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 03:27 PM
You tell'm Chris!!

24champ
01-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Why would it be a distraction?

Tombstone is afraid the gay would spread amongst the team, like cobra aids would.

pricejj
01-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Tombstone is afraid the gay would spread amongst the team, like cobra aids would.

Yeah well, how do you think cobra's got aids? It sure wasn't from sneezing on each other.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM

Well... unless you're showering, wrestling around and laying in piles with your boss and coworkers, it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 04:30 PM
So Tombstone just sent me a rep saying I wasn't a Christian. Awesome.

Just answer the question, Tombstone.

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Seriously? Your question wasn't rhetorical?

In a profession where they risk their future well-being so noone questions their toughness, you think they'd embrace a gay person in the locker room?

Seriously?

Tombstone RJ
01-17-2013, 04:37 PM

He'd be a distraction because he's gay, that is, he likes guys. I think that even if this didn't bother the other players it would be a media distraction as well. This is all hypothetical and let's now pretend you are an owner or GM, if you want to draft the guy go right ahead.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Seriously? Your question wasn't rhetorical?

In a profession where they risk their future well-being so noone questions their toughness, you think they'd embrace a gay person in the locker room?

Seriously?

Really? You think they would immediately consider them "not tough" because they like dudes? Is that what the worry is?

I figured it was the "look at all the naked guys in the locker room" thing.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Really? You think they would immediately consider them "not tough" because they like dudes? Is that what the worry is?

The troubling thing about Tombstone is I guarantee he thinks he's 100 percent right in this belief without a shred of evidence.

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
My favorite is "No way! I don't want some dude hitting on me!" Like they assume that just because a guy is gay and you are a man he's definitely attracted to you and is going to try and hump you every day. Just like how all the women who like men are always doing.

The one point I agree with is the media buzz. If someone came out, it would immediately make that player a media craze and they would obviously have a huge gay following and that's not the kind of distraction anyone wants. You would need like 12 players to come out at the same time to mitigate it.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 04:47 PM

I think he's saying that environment of over-masculinity tends to be pretty unwelcoming to that lifestyle.

A buddy of mine in the Marines turned out to be gay (closeted while we were in) and he said he was suicidal over it. None of us knew, it was just the pressure and that type of joking around, etc.

Coincidentally, a big hairy man-ass actually just popped up in my "timeline" because liked it on instagram.

BroncoBeavis
01-17-2013, 04:49 PM
I've had a gay boss and worked with two gay men and one gay woman.

Wait wait. I saw this movie once. Was there a shirtless plumber who showed up with nothing but a huge pipewrench, volunteering to clean out everyone's pipes?

El Minion
01-17-2013, 04:51 PM
LOL

I love the blame the victim excuse. Because a gay person is who he is, his very presence makes other people uncomfortable and thus the gay person has to do the accommodation on career chose because of bigots.

Sometimes I wish we had a Logan's Run type of event and we could nominate old people with their backwards and last century way of thinking and beliefs and vaporize them to be "renewed"

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
LOL

I love the blame the victim excuse. Because a gay person is who he is, his very presence makes other people uncomfortable and thus the gay person has to do the accommodation on career chose because of bigots.

Sometimes I wish we had a Logan's Run type of event and we could nominate old people with their backwards and last century way of thinking and beliefs and vaporize them to be "renewed"

Has that gone on? I see several people predicting that's how it will play out but nothing negative. I'll go back and read how this all began

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 04:57 PM
My favorite is "No way! I don't want some dude hitting on me!" Like they assume that just because a guy is gay and you are a man he's definitely attracted to you and is going to try and hump you every day. Just like how all the women who like men are always doing.

The one point I agree with is the media buzz. If someone came out, it would immediately make that player a media craze and they would obviously have a huge gay following and that's not the kind of distraction anyone wants. You would need like 12 players to come out at the same time to mitigate it.

oooh, what would these twelve be known as?

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 04:59 PM
The troubling thing about Tombstone is I guarantee he thinks he's 100 percent right in this belief without a shred of evidence.

Actually he's definitely the one with supporting evidence and it directly refutes your 'I think he NFL is ready for this' argument:

Name an openly gay NFL player.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Actually he's definitely the one with supporting evidence and it directly refutes your 'I think he NFL is ready for this' argument:

Name an openly gay NFL player.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying an openly gay player will be widely accepted, but judging by polling trends about gay marriage/gay equality, combined with the fact that the NFL player populous falls within more accepting generations, it's probably a good time for a "Jackie Robinson" type to come along and pave the way.

That said, i remember reading a story about that guy dude who was on the titans for a bit, and he had a lot of player support when he came out. This is gonna be one of those things that, in 60 years, we'll wonder why it was ever a big deal. i think the time is probably now.

extralife
01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
He'd be a distraction because he's gay, that is, he likes guys. I think that even if this didn't bother the other players it would be a media distraction as well. This is all hypothetical and let's now pretend you are an owner or GM, if you want to draft the guy go right ahead.

so what you are saying is it would be his fault that you could not get over it. there's a word for this, and it's not very nice.

Requiem
01-17-2013, 05:05 PM
We got some gay haters on this board for sure.

Requiem
01-17-2013, 05:05 PM
We got some gay haters on this board for sure.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying an openly gay player will be widely accepted, but judging by polling trends about gay marriage/gay equality, combined with the fact that the NFL player populous falls within more accepting generations, it's probably a good time for a "Jackie Robinson" type to come along and pave the way.

That said, i remember reading a story about that guy dude who was on the titans for a bit, and he had a lot of player support when he came out. This is gonna be one of those things that, in 60 years, we'll wonder why it was ever a big deal. i think the time is probably now.

The NFL populous also falls primarily within a culture that is quite largely anti-gay rights...

No more deflecting, what do you disagree with him about? Because it's starting to look like you actually agree with him and just disagree with the morality of that as we all should.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
so what you are saying is it would be his fault that you could not get over it. there's a word for this, and it's not very nice.

Maybe I'm ignorant but I read it as right or wrong, drafting the first openly gay player would be a massive distraction for the team.

colorado jones
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Maybe I'm ignorant but I read it as right or wrong, drafting the first openly gay player would be a massive distraction for the team.

Tebow proved this.

(I am totally kidding.)

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
oooh, what would these twelve be known as?

Well I don't know, obviously. I do have my doubts about Darren sharper, Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson just to name a few.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 05:25 PM
The NFL populous also falls primarily within a culture that is quite largely anti-gay rights...

No more deflecting, what do you disagree with him about? Because it's starting to look like you actually agree with him and just disagree with the morality of that as we all should.

Is that true or are you just assuming?

I disagree with him that it's some kind of death knell for a player or a team. A lot depends on the circumstance. If Peyton Manning came out tomorrow (I dont know why this just made me laugh), I guarantee people would respect him just as much.

And of course I disagree with him on a moral standpoint, but that's neither here nor there.

Also, in an era where the public is constantly attracted to a bright shiny object, an NFL owner might like the media attention a gay player would bring, especially since most of it would be positive. in fact, the media will play a huge role in this whenever it happens.

And my best guess is a portion of players will openly accept Gaylord McHomosexual, others will come out against him, and a bunch will say "i dont agree with his lifestyle, but he's his own man" etc, etc, and we'll all quickly get used to it. In an age where image is everything, and its hard to hide anything, I dont think there will be as much vitirol as one might think. Attention and distraction are a fine line, I suppose.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Well I don't know, obviously. I do have my doubts about Darren sharper, Tony Gonzalez and Tony Richardson just to name a few.

No, no...i mean, would they call themselves something. Rainbow Coalition? Or just the Gay 12?

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 05:29 PM
I'll get to the rest, on my phone but now you admit it would be a distraction albeit you're unsure for how long.

Now that we've established you think it would be a distraction, would you draft him if he were openly gay? Would you be the pioneer when no one else has and put your career and team in that spotlight?

I know there's what we'd HOPE we'd do, but when push came to shove, would you?

Kaylore
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Tebow proved this.

(I am totally kidding.)

Actually I think the situations are comparable and illustrate a good reason not to come out. Tebow was not a starting caliber QB. However people and the media were drawn to his lifestyle choice and drew a huge following that a portion of didn't honestly care about his play level.

The media ate it up and he was doing press conferences after games he wasn't even the starter of. I guarantee you it would be the same for the openly gay player. And then what if that player isn't that good and they decide to cut him. Does the FO risk being labeled homophobic? And do you sign him just because of his sexuality because you like the press?

Perhaps most importantly, what would this be like for the player to deal with. Maybe he doesn't want to be a flag bearer for a cause. Maybe he's gay but (rightly) doesn't think it's any of anyone's business. And perhaps he doesn't want his sexuality to factor into his evaluation or how others treat him while he's a player.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 05:34 PM
I'll get to the rest, on my phone but now you admit it would be a distraction albeit you're unsure for how long.

Now that we've established you think it would be a distraction, would you draft him if he were openly gay? Would you be the pioneer when no one else has and put your career and team in that spotlight?

I know there's what we'd HOPE we'd do, but when push came to shove, would you?

I dont think i never said it wouldnt be some sort of distraction (if i did i retract that) I just said i think the time is now because the public would be more accepting of it.

I suppose its easy to say from the cheap seats, but yes, if I'm the Denver Broncos for example, where there's strong leadership, I personally would. I think a lot depends on the guy himself. A guy like Jackie Robinson was equipped to deal with the pressure and succeeded. You'd need someone with a thick skin and good sense of humor. Just knowing the newscycle these days, i think the story would come and go quicker than one might think.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I dont think i never said it wouldnt be some sort of distraction (if i did i retract that) I just said i think the time is now because the public would be more accepting of it.

I suppose its easy to say from the cheap seats, but yes, if I'm the Denver Broncos for example, where there's strong leadership, I personally would. I think a lot depends on the guy himself. A guy like Jackie Robinson was equipped to deal with the pressure and succeeded. You'd need someone with a thick skin and good sense of humor. Just knowing the newscycle these days, i think the story would come and go quicker than one might think.

I too think Denver could pull it off because it's a liberal community and the other guys in the unit are pretty hip and playful (von and Woody).

That being said, I see a whole lot of people demonize what Tombstone said only to post stuff that completely supports his OP on the subject, Soooooo...

Anyone want to quote the part that was negative so I can finally see it?

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Actually I think the situations are comparable and illustrate a good reason not to come out. Tebow was not a starting caliber QB. However people and the media were drawn to his lifestyle choice and drew a huge following that a portion of didn't honestly care about his play level.

The media ate it up and he was doing press conferences after games he wasn't even the starter of. I guarantee you it would be the same for the openly gay player. And then what if that player isn't that good and they decide to cut him. Does the FO risk being labeled homophobic? And do you sign him just because of his sexuality because you like the press?

Perhaps most importantly, what would this be like for the player to deal with. Maybe he doesn't want to be a flag bearer for a cause. Maybe he's gay but (rightly) doesn't think it's any of anyone's business. And perhaps he doesn't want his sexuality to factor into his evaluation or how others treat him while he's a player.

Actually, I don't think the situations are all that comparable because, while the media would be drawn to the story and he'd get more media attention than his bretheren, I dont think McHomosexual's fan base would start doing things like equate his success to spirituality and God, two subjects that people don't really budge on.

I don't think there IS a comparison because it would be such a unique situation. I just think its a situation that NFL teams can handle now. The easiest thing would be for a respected veteran to come out and, lets face it, there has to be gay NFL players currently playing.

Smilin Assassin
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Actually, I don't think the situations are all that comparable because, while the media would be drawn to the story and he'd get more media attention than his bretheren, I dont think McHomosexual's fan base would start doing things like equate his success to spirituality and God, two subjects that people don't really budge on.

I don't think there IS a comparison because it would be such a unique situation. I just think its a situation that NFL teams can handle now. The easiest thing would be for a respected veteran to come out and, <b>lets face it, there has to be gay NFL players currently playing.<b>

Like who?

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM

I don't think there IS a comparison because it would be such a unique situation. I just think its a situation that NFL teams can handle now. The easiest thing would be for a respected veteran to come out and, lets face it, there has to be gay NFL players currently playing.

I understand your POV, but the REALITY is that the gay players within an NFL locker room know their teammates, situation, and environment better than you do... and none have come out. In fact, your last sentence (where you agree that there are gay NFL players currently playing) contradicts your POV because of it.

24champ
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM

The thing about Jackie Robinson was that he was so good, it was impossible for Branch Rickey to not sign him. People don't know that the Dodger clubhouse was split at the time, there was a divide in the locker room. Some didn't want to play with a black player, others didn't care. That divide was going on until management/ownership said they were standing with Jackie Robinson. Pretty much told the players to deal with it, or they can be sent to the minors/released.

So if the Broncos were to ever have a gay player on the team it will be a big distraction. Just unknown how long it would last, and Elway and Co. would have to back the player. Like someone else noted, the majority in Denver wouldn't care. However, Focus on the Family is in Co. Springs, and I am sure they would have an epic freak out along with the political blowhards that will comment on the situation.

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
I also knew a guy in the military days that was perceived to be gay and everyone thinks it was 2+ years of constant teasing that led him to become suicidal and eventually discharged for mental issues. As more people thought he was gay, the pile-ons got worse. Eventually even subordinate soldiers were calling him a queer and whatnot to his face.

I had a big post typed up about it but deleted it so as to not derail the thread but that's the biggest issue. IF a person hadn't established the respect beforehand, the treatment would absolutely be a distraction. Whether it be taunting by opponents or his own teammates if a scuffle broke out, I have no doubt that it'd be the go-to insult.

Can the NFL handle it as a whole? Absolutely. Would I want my team to be the one to bear that burden? Not at all. Does a coach have the job security to risk taking on such a distraction to see what it'd do to a team? Not many do.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I understand your POV, but the REALITY is that the gay players within an NFL locker room know their teammates, situation, and environment better than you do... and none have come out. In fact, your last sentence (where you agree that there are gay NFL players currently playing) contradicts your POV because of it.

Not necessarily. There's a lot that goes into it. First off, Player X might not want that kind of attention, he might have some kind of shame, he might not be willing to take that leap into an unknown. I'd be kind of surprised if Player X really wanted to come out because he's 99 percent sure he would never be accepted.

It's gonna be a big leap for any player because a lot of attention will be thrust upon him, and its an unknown. Again, all I'm saying is that the time is right for a Jackie Robinson-esque gay dude to step up. Jacqueer Robinson!

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Not necessarily. There's a lot that goes into it. First off, Player X might not want that kind of attention, he might have some kind of shame, he might not be willing to take that leap into an unknown. I'd be kind of surprised if Player X really wanted to come out because he's 99 percent sure he would never be accepted.

It's gonna be a big leap for any player because a lot of attention will be thrust upon him, and its an unknown. Again, all I'm saying is that the time is right for a Jackie Robinson-esque gay dude to step up. Jacqueer Robinson!

Again, that's YOU assuming that on an internet message board, not someone who KNOWS their situation, surroundings, etc.

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Te'O is gay.

Archer81
01-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Interesting thread. Will go into details about some points when I'm at home on my computer.

Bronco X
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
A lot of this viral spoof stuff is funny, but I gotta say it does suck for the girl whose picture was used... her face is all over the place. Deadspin blurred her photos at her request but embedded a link to a CBS video that shows her face as the preview pic. She's the true victim of this story, at least if she doesn't want any part of this. On the other hand, maybe it'll lead to some gig like the Alabama QB's girlfriend.

As for the gay stuff, that'd be the least of my worries with this guy. I'd suspect the standard 10% estimate is probably fairly accurate and the percentage in the NFL or professional sports in general is not significantly different. The only thing that would change with "out of the closet" players is how people would react with them.

So any sort of intelligent, logical rational leads to the safe assumption of the existence of gay football players, and likely a sizable population of them. 100-150 NFL players is probably a safe bet. If Te'o is one, he's the only one who came up with something like this to stay in the closet.

Hell even inventing a girlfriend wouldn't be the worst offense imaginable. It's that she was made to die, and it was timed with his grandmother's actual death to generate sympathy and sentimental support for the guy... that's what's truly pathological about this. And that has nothing to do with whether or not he's gay.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
The thing about Jackie Robinson was that he was so good, it was impossible for Branch Rickey to not sign him. People don't know that the Dodger clubhouse was split at the time, there was a divide in the locker room. Some didn't want to play with a black player, others didn't care. That divide was going on until management/ownership said they were standing with Jackie Robinson. Pretty much told the players to deal with it, or they can be sent to the minors/released.

So if the Broncos were to ever have a gay player on the team it will be a big distraction. Just unknown how long it would last, and Elway and Co. would have to back the player. Like someone else noted, the majority in Denver wouldn't care. However, Focus on the Family is in Co. Springs, and I am sure they would have an epic freak out along with the political blowhards that will comment on the situation.

Its apples and oranges. Firstly, Jackie Robinson played starting in the 1940s, which was a good deal before the civil rights movement. So I'd contend that the climates aren't the same. It also took place before 24/7 media and an open culture. It also took place before political correctness and a media that would be in support of such a thing. It's just a different era. Plus, just knowing how news comes and goes these days, the story will pass quicker than you think. But it would help if it was an established vet that came out.

If this were 10 years ago, I'd agree with your political fallout comment. Now, severe anti gay groups are marginalized and often ostracized. You may have more of those "seperate but equal" types out there, but the real haters arent heard much.

Also, not that this is here or there, but Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige were also "too good" not to sign

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Again, that's YOU assuming that on an internet message board, not someone who KNOWS their situation, surroundings, etc.

Of course, but this is all speculation on both sides. No one knows how people would truly react because its never happened.

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
But that's where the definite ends. From here, the rest of Te'o's public story begins to grade into fantasy, in the tradition of so much of Notre Dame's mythmaking (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1148014/index.htm) and with the help of a compliant press.

Quoted for truth.

extralife
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
Anyone want to quote the part that was negative so I can finally see it?

the problem is using the spectre of "distraction" as a justification for discrimination.

you are a gay player. you did your thing, came out graded highly, no concerns about your character, etc. the whole shebang. but you fall in the draft because some suit tells you that everyone who is not you is the problem, that the "risk" is too high. what did you do?

this is called crowdsourcing the superego. if everyone thinks that the problem is everyone else, then you can be sure that the problem is them. when you say "my hands are tied, it's a business and this would be detrimental blah blah blah," what you are attempting to do is absolve yourself of the blame. you are doing this because 1) you absolutely know that you are in the wrong and 2) you want some societal superstructure (ie, capitalism) to make the choice for you. this is how we had institutional slavery for 200 years, if you want an easy analog. the reason drafting the gay guy would be a "distraction" is precisely because you think it would be a distraction, precisely because your instinct when making this decision is to look outside rather than inside. if you appeal to the outside, then the outside will be more than willing to play along. but the force is always internal, the external is an excuse, it is a projection.

I'm sure it will be hard for you, Mr. GM/owner/coach, I feel real sorry. But I bet it was even harder for the player, and he did it anyway.

do you know when else the media is a "distraction" for a person or entity in the public spotlight? every second of human existence. do you know when the media attention on a team ramps up? when they win. should they stop that too, on the grounds that it is bad for business? there are a million, zillion holes, but the holes are not the point, the point is the process.

[for the record, I still think it is absolutely silly to assume any part of this story has anything to do with Manti Te'o's sexuality. that so many seem willing to assume it does is maybe interesting.]

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Its apples and oranges. Firstly, Jackie Robinson played starting in the 1940s, which was a good deal before the civil rights movement. So I'd contend that the climates aren't the same. It also took place before 24/7 media and an open culture. It also took place before political correctness and a media that would be in support of such a thing. It's just a different era. Plus, just knowing how news comes and goes these days, the story will pass quicker than you think. But it would help if it was an established vet that came out.

If this were 10 years ago, I'd agree with your political fallout comment. Now, severe anti gay groups are marginalized and often ostracized. You may have more of those "seperate but equal" types out there, but the real haters arent heard much.

Also, not that this is here or there, but Josh Gibson and Satchel Paige were also "too good" not to sign

And even all these years after the civil rights movement, people are criticizing the NFL for being racist in coaches, GMs, and QBs. Change isn't embraced for the sake of change. It's tolerated, ignored, and overlooked, maybe, but very few embrace it just to embrace it. A gay person would have to prove himself and I don't think there'd be a community necessarily waiting to embrace and support him as a member of the NFL.

extralife
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
So any sort of intelligent, logical rational leads to the safe assumption of the existence of gay football players, and likely a sizable population of them. 100-150 NFL players is probably a safe bet.

again, we're getting far away from anything relevant, but I don't think you're right about this. there is still a sociological process of selection to account for. I would find it reasonable to assume that gay men are pushed away from playing competitive sports, in a variety of ways. the reverse of the situation is why, for instance, really stupid people assume there is something "inherent" in homosexuality that would lead homosexuals to, say, become fashion designers--the real answer is that there are certain activities, professions, and behaviors that homosexuals have incentives to pursue, and certain ones that they have incentives to avoid, with the lines being entirely drawn by demographics.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
And even all these years after the civil rights movement, people are criticizing the NFL for being racist in coaches, GMs, and QBs. Change isn't embraced for the sake of change. It's tolerated, ignored, and overlooked, maybe, but very few embrace it just to embrace it. A gay person would have to prove himself and I don't think there'd be a community necessarily waiting to embrace and support him as a member of the NFL.

I see your point, I'll just agree to disagree. I just think because society is more open, we're constantly asked to defend our beliefs and points, combined with a general PC/more accepting vibe, it'd be tolerated because not many will want to be the villain, and make no mistake, if someone came out as anti-gay, they would be. Of course there will be some that won't accept him, just like there will always be racists. I just think it'd blow over quickly, ESPECIALLY if its an established vet. I think a rookie might have more trouble, but a lot depends on how the leaders of the team accept him. If the Broncos drafted Mr. Gay, and PM, Von, Champ, Wesley, and Keith Brooking accepted him and vouched for him, others would follow suit. As I said, i dont think it would be 100 percent welcomed, but enough to pave the way.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
the problem is using the spectre of "distraction" as a justification for discrimination.

you are a gay player. you did your thing, came out graded highly, no concerns about your character, etc. the whole shebang. but you fall in the draft because some suit tells you that everyone who is not you is the problem, that the "risk" is too high. what did you do?

this is called crowdsourcing the superego. if everyone thinks that the problem is everyone else, then you can be sure that the problem is them. when you say "my hands are tied, it's a business and this would be detrimental blah blah blah," what you are attempting to do is absolve yourself of the blame. you are doing this either because 1) you absolutely know that you are in the wrong or 2) you want some societal superstructure (ie, capitalism) to make the choice for you. this is how we had institutional slavery for 200 years, if you want an easy analog. the reason drafting the gay guy would be a "distraction" is precisely because you think it would be a distraction, precisely because your instinct when making this decision is to look outside rather than inside. if you appeal to the outside, then the outside will be more than willing to play along. but the force is always internal, the external is an excuse, it is a projection.

I'm sure it will be hard for you, Mr. GM/owner/coach, I feel real sorry. But I bet it was even harder for the player, and he did it anyway.

do you know when else the media is a "distraction" for a person or entity in the public spotlight? every second of human existence. do you know when the media attention on a team ramps up? when they win. should they stop that too, on the grounds that it is bad for business? there are a million, zillion holes, but the holes are not the point, the point is the process.

[for the record, I still think it is absolutely silly to assume any part of this story has anything to do with Manti Te'o's sexuality. that so many seem willing to assume it does is maybe interesting.]

Breaking news: life isn't fair

Not using the specter of anything as a justification, I'm using the reality of a closeted league and unnecessary risks in billion dollar business.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM

Not using the specter of anything as a justification, I'm using the reality of a closeted league and unnecessary risks in billion dollar business.

Back in 2011, there was a poll that suggested 80 percent of "millenials" supported gay rights for an equal work place. And 71 percent of the general public agreed.

I dont think people will stop watching football because there's a gay guy. And if they do? Its a teeeeeny portion of the population. The NFL wouldnt feel a dent. And maybe gay people who once didn't care about football may help to fill that void. Hard to say, but 80 percent is a pretty overwhelming number.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Back in 2011, there was a poll that suggested 80 percent of "millenials" supported gay rights for an equal work place. And 71 percent of the general public agreed.

I dont think people will stop watching football because there's a gay guy. And if they do? Its a teeeeeny portion of the population. The NFL wouldnt feel a dent. And maybe gay people who once didn't care about football may help to fill that void. Hard to say, but 80 percent is a pretty overwhelming number.

Again, the risk has nothing to do with that. It's potentially causing an unnecessary Schism in your locker room.

Look how deeply teams research a persons background, relationships, etc on the lookout for any potential distraction. Now think about turning your season into a media festival where every question now involves the first openly gay player.

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
I see your point, I'll just agree to disagree. I just think because society is more open, we're constantly asked to defend our beliefs and points, combined with a general PC/more accepting vibe, it'd be tolerated because not many will want to be the villain, and make no mistake, if someone came out as anti-gay, they would be. Of course there will be some that won't accept him, just like there will always be racists. I just think it'd blow over quickly, ESPECIALLY if its an established vet. I think a rookie might have more trouble, but a lot depends on how the leaders of the team accept him. If the Broncos drafted Mr. Gay, and PM, Von, Champ, Wesley, and Keith Brooking accepted him and vouched for him, others would follow suit. As I said, i dont think it would be 100 percent welcomed, but enough to pave the way.

I disagree that we should agree to disagree because I disagree, based on this post, that there's anything upon which we disagree. I think we agree.

It'd be a difference scenario based upon the player. Someone mentioned Tony Gonzalez earlier and if it were him, it'd go over like it were nothing. Not everyone would be afforded the same respect, however.

If anything, I'd say we disagree in that you're giving the NFL the benefit of the doubt based on the general populous' nudge toward acceptance. In that case, I think people'd keep their mouth shut in general and make their comments behind the scenes.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Again, the risk has nothing to do with that. It's potentially causing an unnecessary Schism in your locker room.

Look how deeply teams research a persons background, relationships, etc on the lookout for any potential distraction. Now think about turning your season into a media festival where every question now involves the first openly gay player.

it COULD, but we don't know that for sure, and I think a lot depends on the team.

If it were a respected veteran, I truly don't believe its a big deal. That would be the perfect representative.

But since people here keep looking through the prism of draftable rookies, let's explore. In this case, if I'm John Elway (just to use the Broncos as an example), I ask my team leaders their thoughts on the situation. Admittedly, I'd do that. If we agreed that it's not a big deal, draft Player Gay, and then immediately form a united front behind him, I think the potential controversy stops before it starts, and the Broncos would be lauded for the "risk" or gesture. Sure, the fringe may get upset, but unlike an issue like Gay marriage, there's no sexual sanctity to the NFL, so I think they'll be more tolerant of it.

Also, I'm going to assume the NFL players is a fraturnity, and they wouldn't look incredibly kindly on outsiders hating their own, no matter who it is. It would still command the media attention and all that, but i think it would blow over pretty quick and the NFL would come out looking OK.

And if I'm wrong, the team and GM can come and personally blame me :)

SonOfLe-loLang
01-17-2013, 07:03 PM
I disagree that we should agree to disagree because I disagree, based on this post, that there's anything upon which we disagree. I think we agree.

It'd be a difference scenario based upon the player. Someone mentioned Tony Gonzalez earlier and if it were him, it'd go over like it were nothing. Not everyone would be afforded the same respect, however.

If anything, I'd say we disagree in that you're giving the NFL the benefit of the doubt based on the general populous' nudge toward acceptance. In that case, I think people'd keep their mouth shut in general and make their comments behind the scenes.

Yeah, but if the general public accepts something that the player doesn't accept, and he expresses his belief, I doubt many would want to be vilified unless its something they STRONGLY believe in, but i wonder how many of those people exist. Sure, there would be some behind the scenes stuff, but i think chances are it just becomes part of life and we move on.

extralife
01-17-2013, 07:06 PM

if you want to hide behind economic philosophy and call it pragmatics (our particular brand of tyranny, no doubt): the NFL takes "unnecessary risks" with "distractions" all the time by hiring and retaining murderers, rapists, drug dealers, idiots, and other criminals, all of whom are white-washed away by media fluff pieces the second they score touchdowns.

winning. that's the NFL, that's America, and if something like progress is ever achieved in one realm or another in this country, it is accompanied by a trail of bodies, a parade, and a ballooned bank account acting as proof. and to even pretend that anyone who brings media attention to an NFL franchise could possibly negatively affect their bottom line is willful ignorance, it is hiding something. especially in this case, where for every nutjob CO. Springs card carrier there will be two gay NFL fans with a new jersey to buy, and where for every venting buffoon on Fox News there will be three articles on salon, slate, and the NYT extolling the virtues of what will at bottom be a monetary transaction. NFL franchises aren't dumb, the second a coach drafts a gay guy because his forty time is sub 4.4 there will be an army of PR mavens singing the owner's praises, turning a business move into a sign of American solidarity and exceptionalism. so at bottom, yes, you are right, we will pave this road with the exaltations of capitalism--but always remember that that particular chameleon will win every time, both when you and I lose and when you and I win.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
if you want to hide behind economic philosophy and call it pragmatics (our particular brand of tyranny, no doubt): the NFL takes "unnecessary risks" with "distractions" all the time by hiring and retaining murderers, rapists, drug dealers, idiots, and other criminals, all of whom are white-washed away by media fluff pieces the second they score touchdowns.

winning. that's the NFL, that's America, and if something like progress is ever achieved in one realm or another in this country, it is accompanied by a trail of bodies, a parade, and a ballooned bank account acting as proof. and to even pretend that anyone who brings media attention to an NFL franchise could possibly negatively affect their bottom line is willful ignorance, it is hiding something. especially in this case, where for every nutjob CO. Springs card carrier there will be two gay NFL fans with a new jersey to buy, and where for every venting buffoon on Fox News there will be three articles on salon, slate, and the NYT extolling the virtues of what will at bottom be a monetary transaction. NFL franchises aren't dumb, the second a coach drafts a gay guy because his forty time is sub 4.4 there will be an army of PR mavens singing the owner's praises, turning a business move into a sign of American solidarity and exceptionalism. so at bottom, yes, you are right, we will pave this road with the exaltations of capitalism--but always remember that that particular chameleon will win every time, both when you and I lose and when you and I win.

Again, you're looking at the fan and public reaction without any consideration to the locker room and team itself and the less than progressive attitudes within.

Sure it's fun to say "well, if they're that backwards, we don't want them on the team"... but what if some of our better players had an "I won't play with him" attitude? What if someone like Von, Clady, and Demaryius didn't want to be subject to it?

It's a slippery slope, and frankly, no I wouldn't be the trend-setter to go down that road. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I like Minter better anyway.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
And we're all way off base. Clearly the first openly gay NFL player should be selected by the Packers.

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Again, you're looking at the fan and public reaction without any consideration to the locker room and team itself and the less than progressive attitudes within.

Sure it's fun to say "well, if they're that backwards, we don't want them on the team"... but what if some of our better players had an "I won't play with him" attitude? What if someone like Von, Clady, and Demaryius didn't want to be subject to it?

It's a slippery slope, and frankly, no I wouldn't be the trend-setter to go down that road. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I like Minter better anyway.

I had just come to a similar conclusion myself. I think we're arguing circles because we're arguing different things. Be it because someone's not understanding or because they want to keep it in an area where they can "win" the debate, it's obnoxious either way. I's be outta here...

RaiderH8r
01-17-2013, 07:26 PM
Ho-lee-sheet this has taken a turn. Dude making up an elaborate story for who knows what reason is a distraction but the fact that the usual media didn't uncover this and carried his water lends even more weight to the argument that ND turns out overhyped first rounders that don't pan. And that argument was already pretty weighty. Add that into his first performance against a pro team and I have signifcant doubts about his value as a first round pick. Plenty of talent for us to pursue. If he's there at huge value for us (later than 28) then maybe but I just don't know. Overhyped busts. Ugh. Tough enough as it is.

extralife
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM

and I'm sure certain players don't like playing with murderers either.

like you said, life isn't fair (looool)

you are projecting. who says the players will make a big deal out of it? you? even if they care, which you are assuming, they are subject to the same wholly imagined societal pressures as the rest of us, when they look into themselves and ask "what will happen if I say I will quit if this ****** sees my dong in the shower" the answer will be "bad things."

the point of a locker room--the very thing all the players miss when they retire, the very thing every hack who played high school ball tells his kids about--is forced abnegation, it is about being forced to care about people without the pressure of having to decide whether or not you would like to. every person in the world has the potential to "split the locker room," because every person in the world is a person, which is to say every person in the world is not the guy to their left or their right. but locker rooms do not traditionally split for the sheer fact that the term "locker room" implies the lack of a split. it takes an awfully huge cocktail of misanthropy, narcissism, and even perverse bravery to stand in there and say: No.

Requiem
01-17-2013, 07:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/y4KUt.gif

That One Guy
01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Ho-lee-sheet this has taken a turn. Dude making up an elaborate story for who knows what reason is a distraction but the fact that the usual media didn't uncover this and carried his water lends even more weight to the argument that ND turns out overhyped first rounders that don't pan. And that argument was already pretty weighty. Add that into his first performance against a pro team and I have signifcant doubts about his value as a first round pick. Plenty of talent for us to pursue. If he's there at huge value for us (later than 28) then maybe but I just don't know. Overhyped busts. Ugh. Tough enough as it is.

It all depends on the truth behind the story. If it's true that he was still reeling from the fact that it was all a hoax, the accounts that his head wasn't where it should've been gain some merit. Once he'd fallen for it all, it's understandable that he might be kinda shaken from it.

That's if you accept his story, of course.

TheReverend
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
I had just come to a similar conclusion myself. I think we're arguing circles because we're arguing different things. Be it because someone's not understanding or because they want to keep it in an area where they can "win" the debate, it's obnoxious either way. I's be outta here...

Agree. A few people only want to examine the normative aspects instead of the positive.

theAPAOps5
01-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Watch this...

Wow, the fact that they took a news story and did the whole thing in computer animation, The Sims style, and threw in an anal beer bong, in computer animation mind you, is proof that Asians are brilliant innovators.

theAPAOps5
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM

I imagine it would be very similar to the Tebow phenomena of question after question centered around when he is starting. So much so that players begin to resent him and lash out in passive aggressive "unnamed" source type of attacks, except for the Jets OLineman who had the balls to put his name to his criticism of Tebow.

I imagine this is how it would go but replace "when is he starting" with "what's it like in a locker room with an openly gay man", and if course the 700 reworded version of the same question.

extralife
01-17-2013, 07:49 PM
I imagine this is how it would go but replace "when is he starting" with "what's it like in a locker room with an openly gay man", and if course the 700 reworded version of the same question.

the best answer to this question would be: "pretty similar to what it's like conducting this interview with my dong hanging out"

Bronco X
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
again, we're getting far away from anything relevant, but I don't think you're right about this. there is still a sociological process of selection to account for. I would find it reasonable to assume that gay men are pushed away from playing competitive sports, in a variety of ways. the reverse of the situation is why, for instance, really stupid people assume there is something "inherent" in homosexuality that would lead homosexuals to, say, become fashion designers--the real answer is that there are certain activities, professions, and behaviors that homosexuals have incentives to pursue, and certain ones that they have incentives to avoid, with the lines being entirely drawn by demographics.

There's probably no data that would prove or disprove either assertion, and certainly it wasn't my intent to present numbers or percentages with any kind of authority. I was guessing the same as you.

But even if you are right that homosexuals are drawn away from competitive sports, it seems illogical to believe it would be such a sweeping characteristic that it would keep them out of the field entirely. There are over 1000 active NFL players any given year. Say the percentage is half that of the general population. You'd still have a number that would average more than one per team.

extralife
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
I do find it likely that there are gay people in the NFL, just not that many. I wonder how possible it would be to do an anonymous survey?

Atwater His Ass
01-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Doesn't the media fact check anymore before releasing stories? How was this not discovered almost immediately?

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
I would not use a 1st round pick on this guy. He obviously does not have good judgement. Plus he might have issues that could divide a locker room. His teammates at Notre Dame are talking about what a great actor he is.

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
I do find it likely that there are gay people in the NFL, just not that many. I wonder how possible it would be to do an anonymous survey?

Well, gay people make up about 2% of the population so that would mean there are 26-35 gay guys in the NFL. About one per team.

sisterhellfyre
01-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Quoted from Amazon:
"This is Esera Tuaolo's own searing story of terror and hope. A Samoan raised on a Hawaiian banana plantation, he had a natural talent, football. He went on to play for five NFL teams: the Green Bay Packers, the Minnesota Vikings, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Carolina Panthers, and the Atlanta Falcons in the 1999 Super Bowl. But for the nine years he played professional football he lived in terror that when his face flashed upon the TV screen, someone would divulge his darkest secret. Esera Tuaolo is gay.

Alone in the Trenches takes you inside the homophobic world of professional football and describes fears that almost drove him to suicide. He evokes heartbreak--how his older brother, Tua, died of AIDS--and hope when, Esera, a deeply devout Christian fell in love and started a family.

"Tuaolo emerges in these pages as a complex, intellectually curious and fascinating individual defined neither by his choice of career nor by his sexual orientation." --Booklist"

http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Trenches-Life-Gay-Man/dp/1402209231

extralife
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Well, gay people make up about 2% of the population so that would mean there are 26-35 gay guys in the NFL. About one per team.

maybe you should read my last few posts

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
maybe you should read my last few posts

I don't want to, I can see what's in your brain.

NUB
01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQQdSwFgSec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bacchus
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM
that is a great movie. The government guys were the best part.

extralife
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
I don't want to, I can see what's in your brain.

don't call the cops

extralife
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NQQdSwFgSec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

this is the best part of that movie

not top tier coen brothers, but that's one hilarious ending.

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 03:22 AM
don't call the cops

Call the cops?? Hell, I'm taking notes!!

TheReverend
01-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Quoted from Amazon:
"This is Esera Tuaolo's own searing story of terror and hope. A Samoan raised on a Hawaiian banana plantation, he had a natural talent, football. He went on to play for five NFL teams: the Green Bay Packers, the Minnesota Vikings, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Carolina Panthers, and the Atlanta Falcons in the 1999 Super Bowl. But for the nine years he played professional football he lived in terror that when his face flashed upon the TV screen, someone would divulge his darkest secret. Esera Tuaolo is gay.

Alone in the Trenches takes you inside the homophobic world of professional football and describes fears that almost drove him to suicide. He evokes heartbreak--how his older brother, Tua, died of AIDS--and hope when, Esera, a deeply devout Christian fell in love and started a family.

"Tuaolo emerges in these pages as a complex, intellectually curious and fascinating individual defined neither by his choice of career nor by his sexual orientation." --Booklist"

http://www.amazon.com/Alone-Trenches-Life-Gay-Man/dp/1402209231

Well that'll wrap this one up and give me another slam dunk victory. Repped for finding a good source to exemplify the discussion. I mean... it's obviously still not right, but it exists.

Rohirrim
01-18-2013, 07:40 AM

One of my favorites. :thumbs:

BroncoInferno
01-18-2013, 08:09 AM
An interesting back-and-forth on the topic between Chuck Klosterman and Malcolm Gladwell:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8854036/malcolm-gladwell-chuck-klosterman-manti-teo

Rohirrim
01-18-2013, 08:23 AM
An interesting back-and-forth on the topic between Chuck Klosterman and Malcolm Gladwell:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8854036/malcolm-gladwell-chuck-klosterman-manti-teo

My "crazy apes" philosophy covers this as well. ;D

BroncoBeavis
01-18-2013, 08:31 AM

So who starts the thread to figure out who he is? Or is that a mod function? :)

Bacchus
01-18-2013, 09:14 AM
So who starts the thread to figure out who he is? Or is that a mod function? :)

Demaryius Thomas.

TheReverend
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Demaryius Thomas.

The details of that Cox trial say otherwise.

I'd go with Chad Mustard. I've never seen a guy get ****ed more than he's been.

Rascal
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
This story is full of winning

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2013/01/17/florence-freedom-to-host-manti-teo-girlfriend-bobblehead-night/

Rascal
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8857057/friend-says-ronaiah-tuiasosopo-confessed-manti-teo-girlfriend-hoax

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told Outside the Lines Thursday.

ColoradoDarin
01-18-2013, 10:45 AM
The details of that Cox trial say otherwise.

I'd go with Chad Mustard. I've never seen a guy get ****ed more than he's been.

the answer for 31 teams is none.... but the Patriots have 53.

C130Herkload
01-18-2013, 11:02 AM
http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2013/01/manti-meme-1-e1358440018735.jpg

TheReverend
01-18-2013, 11:04 AM
^ jelous.

Ruins a great pic.

C130Herkload
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Not my doing, but the cruel intent is awesome. Blame the interweb.