PDA

View Full Version : Pereira defends officiating in Denver/Balt upset

Taco John
01-15-2013, 12:37 AM
"I'm upset by the perception of how some fans thought the officiating was bad in this game."

"I have a good idea why so many people felt that way about the officials. Because the announcers weren't always in agreement with what was ruled on the field. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the officials were wrong."

"Two plays I want to use to illustrate my point were interpreted differently by the announcing crew, which I'm sure swayed public perception. But in my opinion, these calls made by referee Bill Vinovich and his crew were correct."

More at the link:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/referees-do-well-during-icy-game-between-baltimore-ravens-denver-broncos-011213

enjolras
01-15-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm glad that shill managed to ignore a number of impactful calls.

Archer81
01-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Yes. I'm sure the FOUR missed PI calls on Baltimore were in one of the multiverses a good thing. Or the PI AND legwhip on Thomas.

Whatever. Gotta give Sugar another ring.

:Broncos:

Mile High 81
01-15-2013, 01:05 AM
The Problems are not the calls. you always can all it one way or the other way. but you must have a line. and these fxxx clowns did not have one.

you can call Pass int on carter but when you do it You absolutley have to call an Pass int on decker for the pick six.

you can call holding on kuper on the run play but when you do stuff like this you absolutley have to call holding on the ravens Tackels for mutiple holds on doom and von in the first half.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-15-2013, 01:09 AM
Yeah I didn't really give a **** about the two calls he mentioned, though I'm not sure why Brady's is a tuck rule call and mannings wasn't. Dumb judgment call. The ruinous calls were the PIs, the lack of PI on deck, and the kuper hold. Absurd.

Archer81
01-15-2013, 01:11 AM
Should have posted a disclaimer.

Denver played like ****, had lousy playcalling and still had a lead with a minute to go in the game.

But the calls/non calls. You can admit a mistake was made, NFL. Its not like it will change the outcome.

:Broncos:

BowlenBall
01-15-2013, 01:14 AM
We didn't lose the game because of the refs.

That being said, the officiating was truly atrocious, and the two 3rd-down calls against us late in the game (a bizarre interference call on Champ, then the Ravens being awarded a catch when the ball was very clearly SPINNING AROUND in his hands and the HITTING THE GROUND) certainly affected the final outcome.

misturanderson
01-15-2013, 01:34 AM
The Problems are not the calls. you always can all it one way or the other way. but you must have a line. and these fxxx clowns did not have one.

you can call Pass int on carter but when you do it You absolutley have to call an Pass int on decker for the pick six.

you can call holding on kuper on the run play but when you do stuff like this you absolutley have to call holding on the ravens Tackels for mutiple holds on doom and von in the first half.

This is exactly where the issue is with the refereeing of this game.

I also have a major issue with the quote: "The ball hit the ground, but in order for the pass to be ruled incomplete, Boldin would have literally had to lose possession of the ball. Boldin's right hand stayed on the ball at all times."

The problem I have with this call is that it has gone against us 3 times this year. Twice in favor of the other team's offense and once against a Decker completion that was overturned by replay. The first time I saw a review of this type of catch (can't remember the specific game, but remember the call vividly), Decker clearly had possession of the ball before it hit the ground, the ball DID NOT MOVE as it hit the ground and he maintained the same hold on the ball all the way through the catch. It was then OVERTURNED from the completed catch called on the field.

Twice since that game the same rule has been interpreted completely differently to allow far more questionable passes to be upheld for Denver's opponent. Maybe it was just a replacement vs. real official thing, but it still pisses me off because of the lack of consistency.

Ratboy
01-15-2013, 03:55 AM
I just went back and watched that 3rd and 4 in OT when they threw a flag on Champ Bailey (incomplete pass intended for Torrey Smith).

That was an awful call, Bailey never touched him. Maybe it didn't change anything at the end, but who knows at that point.

Those refs should not be in the NFL.

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2013, 04:51 AM
We didn't lose the game because of the refs.

That being said, the officiating was truly atrocious, and the two 3rd-down calls against us late in the game (a bizarre interference call on Champ, then the Ravens being awarded a catch when the ball was very clearly SPINNING AROUND in his hands and the HITTING THE GROUND) certainly affected the final outcome.

So "we didn't lose the game because of the refs", yet the refs "certainly affected the final outcome"? By definition, it's impossible for both of those statements to be true.

Blueflame
01-15-2013, 05:27 AM
Note to Pereira: if there's enough controversy over officiating of a given game for you to feel you have to publicly "defend" the officials... just maybe a problem might exist. We fans aren't blind or stupid; we know what we saw and it doesn't work to piss down our leg and tell us it's raining.

go_broncos
01-15-2013, 05:49 AM
What a joker Pereira is...
Out of 4 games, we got the worst officiating crew..

TheReverend
01-15-2013, 05:59 AM
So "we didn't lose the game because of the refs", yet the refs "certainly affected the final outcome"? By definition, it's impossible for both of those statements to be true.

I think he means that it's not the only reason we lost the game. Champ, Moore, Fox, Manning, refs, "all world" pass rush tandem, etc. They ALL worked as a team to lose this one.

TonyR
01-15-2013, 06:36 AM

Agree, and the PI on the Decker pick-6 play was far more clear of an infraction than whatever they called on Carter (or Champ later in the game).

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2013, 06:48 AM
The "catch" by Boldin and "penalty" on Bailey (both on third down) cost the Broncos AT LEAST 30 yards of field position early in OT.

Yeah, the Broncos screwed the pooch on their own, but you have to wonder why so many people have brought up the dubious officiating.

jmz313
01-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Terrible Officiating against them and the Broncos still just barely lost the game cause of their abundance of mistakes. Any of those calls could of changed the outcome of that game. As could just one less Bronco mistake.

Tough way to head into a 7 month lay off. yes, Pereira is nuts if he thinks it was a well called game.

DomCasual
01-15-2013, 07:01 AM
Nothing good can come of me reading this article. The scab must be allowed to heal. I'm like a highly-sensitive mental patient right now.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Vinovich, who had been out of football for 6 years prior to 2012, came back as a replacement official. He was then kept on, managed to officiate the most-flagged game of the year, and then work a Divisional Playoff game. Prior to this divisional playoff game, Vinovich had officiated two (2) playoff games: a 2003 divisional game and a 2006 wild card game.

But he was assigned a divisional game in 2012 after being out of the league for 6 years.

Someone explain to me how that happens.

yerner
01-15-2013, 07:05 AM
It sounds like being a sore loser to say it, but those officials kept Baltimore in the game. It was like watching the keystone cops.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2013, 07:33 AM
It sounds like being a sore loser to say it, but those officials kept Baltimore in the game. It was like watching the keystone cops.

It's worse than keeping Baltimore in the game.

They handed the ****birds at least 7 points. 14 if you count the extended drive in the first quarter on the bull**** Carter PI.

TheReverend
01-15-2013, 07:35 AM
Pereira's a ****ing bitch and always has been.

TheReverend
01-15-2013, 07:36 AM
It's worse than keeping Baltimore in the game.

They handed the ****birds at least 7 points. 14 if you count the extended drive in the first quarter on the bull**** Carter PI.

They scored off the tuck rule fumble too, so 14 or 21 depending on how you count it.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-15-2013, 07:42 AM
They scored off the tuck rule fumble too, so 14 or 21 depending on how you count it.

True.

I think the biggest call was that PI on Carter. That changed the entire complexion of the game. Think of it: if they don't extend that drive, they're punting from the 16 or so... Giving us the ball with a chance to go up 14-0 and a shortish field.

I'd love to know the thought process of whomever decided to put an inexperienced crew led by a replacement ref on an important, high pressure playoff game. I don't think the game was fixed; I think the game was poorly officiated.

gunns
01-15-2013, 07:57 AM
Yeah I didn't really give a **** about the two calls he mentioned, though I'm not sure why Brady's is a tuck rule call and mannings wasn't. Dumb judgment call. The ruinous calls were the PIs, the lack of PI on deck, and the kuper hold. Absurd.

I was wondering about the "Brady" tuck rule too. They said it was a matter of Peyton bringing it all the way back to his body and Brady's supposedly was still bringing it back to his body. So I looked up some of the videos of Brady's. Funny couldn't find any that were in slow motion. It appears very similar and I find it hard to believe that the refs can see a matter of inches from a body. Does Pereria wonder why the announcers were countering the calls, even after seeing them in slow motion?

BroncoInferno
01-15-2013, 08:00 AM

I'm less irate about the the tuck rule deal simply on the principle that I think the tuck rule is retarded. BUT, if you are going to have that retarded rule on the books, I can't for the life of me see how that play was not a textbook example. It's almost a mirror image of the Brady play.

LRtagger
01-15-2013, 08:11 AM
I watched the replay on NFLN of the first couple series in the game. I remember watching it live and Vinobitch's mic didnt work for the entire first half...well in the replay they seemed to have the audio from Carter's DPI. He says "Pass Interference, CUTOFF on the defense".

I guess now corners arent allowed to defend a spot on the field that the receiver is running to. If a DB is standing or running to a spot and the receiver is running to the same spot, the DB has to get out of the way and let the WR run by otherwise it is a "cutoff" penalty.

But if a DB grabs the receiver's arms not allowing the receiver to reach up to catch the ball and causes the ball to deflect up into the air for a pick-6, that is A-OK.

Kaylore
01-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Nothing good can come of me reading this article. The scab must be allowed to heal. I'm like a highly-sensitive mental patient right now.

This. I need to go through all the stages of anger. Reading these articles will only bring me back.

MplsBronco
01-15-2013, 08:45 AM
The single call that irks me the most is the holding call on Kuper on 3rd and 1. That was about the 3rd holding call on a RUNNING play and you never see it called in short yardage. That's all I need to know that the refs were slanted one way when you consider Balt wasn't called for a single holding all game.

The other plays were bang, bang and I actually think Boldin caught that ball. But that holding negated a first down and then led to us having to pass on 3rd and 11 and then the fumble. I believe we were across the 50 going in the right direction for a FG so very likely we get at least 3 there to go up 10.

Rohirrim
01-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Pereira has his head up the NFL's ass. The refs completely destroyed the Broncos' momentum with that phony PI call against Carter. They then proceeded to repeatedly destroy the pace of our offense in ****ed up conference after ****ed up conference. And how about Boldin's "reception?" His hand was on top of the ball and the ball was on the ground, dumb ****s!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Not only the bad calls, this game ****ing lasted forever. What was it? The 4th longest game in NFL history? Partially because the refs had their heads up their asses and couldn't make decisions/get field position right.

Beej
01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Vinovich, who had been out of football for 6 years prior to 2012, came back as a replacement official. He was then kept on, managed to officiate the most-flagged game of the year, and then work a Divisional Playoff game. Prior to this divisional playoff game, Vinovich had officiated two (2) playoff games: a 2003 divisional game and a 2006 wild card game.

But he was assigned a divisional game in 2012 after being out of the league for 6 years.

Someone explain to me how that happens.

I'd like to hear an explanation about this, too. There had to be a number of refs that called games this season, why not choose one of those guys? Instead, they get this Vinovich guy. Who chooses the refs for the games,
anyway? Goodell?

Pick Six
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
The "tuck rule" play was one of the least objectionable calls, in my mind. He DID bring it all the way into his body. I'm more irate about the lack of consistency with PI calls and holding calls...

SonOfLe-loLang
01-15-2013, 10:04 AM
The champ PI one kills me because that would have made an enormous difference at a critical time. It was thrown by an official thirty yards away and was just a great play on the ball

Gutless Drunk
01-15-2013, 10:38 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/a-great-day-to-be-an-nfl-fan/

"Pass interference is ill-defined and inconsistently called in the NFL. Itís frustrating, with how big a penalty pass interference can be, to see how the NFLís officials can never agree on what is ó and what is not ó pass interference. We saw that three times in the first 10 minutes of the Ravens-Broncos game, and it went against Denver all three times: Baltimoreís first-quarter touchdown drive was kept alive by a shaky pass interference call on a third-down incompletion, then Corey Graham appeared to commit pass interference but wasnít flagged on his interception return for a touchdown, then Demaryius Thomas was tripped on a deep pass from Peyton Manning but didnít get the call. In overtime another questionable pass interference call went against Denverís Champ Bailey. Itís not so much that any of those calls were blatantly wrong, itís more that the NFL officials are so inconsistent in the way they call pass interference that no one ever knows when the official will throw the flag and when heíll keep it in his pocket. On such a pivotal penalty ó the only penalty that can give a team more than 15 yards ó the NFL has to find more consistency.

The Ravens-Broncos officiating stunk even aside from pass interference. A phantom hold that called off a Broncos first down run. An absurdly long series of conferences while the officials debated an illegal hands to the face call. A refereeís decision to unilaterally abolish the tuck rule. I could go on but I think Iíll stop, because itís depressing to focus too much on the officials after a great game. The officiating was a mess"

TonyR
01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
^ Good find, GD. If that doesn't just about sum it up I don't know what does. Not that it makes me feel any better.

ColoradoDarin
01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Pereira is just an NFL stooge.

Hulamau
01-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Funny how he cherry picks plays to defend!

The two most indefensible non-calls were the first PI on the Decker mugging that results in a Ref aided gimme Pick 6 for the Ravens and the winning margin in this game!!

Followed by the PI and obvious tripping of DT that prevented a sure TD as well.. They get even one of those right and we win this game as we should have, in spite of all the other bad calls on the muggings of Doom and Von when rushing Flacco, our own secondary screw ups and poor play calling at the end of the game.

WolfpackGuy
01-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I hate when they bring him on during games because he talks in circles doesn't say anything about anything!

troyjbath
01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Note to Pereira: if there's enough controversy over officiating of a given game for you to feel you have to publicly "defend" the officials... just maybe a problem might exist. We fans aren't blind or stupid; we know what we saw and it doesn't work to piss down our leg and tell us it's raining.

^^This^^

Beantown Bronco
01-15-2013, 12:00 PM
"Two plays I want to use to illustrate my point were interpreted differently by the announcing crew, which I'm sure swayed public perception.

What this tells me is that the league is laying the groundwork for a new policy next season where (1) the tv crew will face fines for disagreeing with the on field officials like players and coaches are or (2) they'll be told to not comment on plays under review until the ref announces his decision. And they'll be told to agree with them.