PDA

View Full Version : NFL Live 1/14/2013 Ravens get away with practice kick

broncosteven
01-14-2013, 05:45 PM
Anyone else see today's NFL live?

Apparently at the end of the 5th Quarter the Ravens sent their kicker out for a practice kick. I thought this was not allowed outside of pre-game and at the half? He barely made the kick as it was.

Trey Wingo and Mangini both agreed this was against the rules.

If they did drop a flag (which the officals were loath to do vs the Ravens most of the night) should it have been a 15 yard Foul or 10 yard delay of game?

I don't like complaining about poor officiating but it is clear that they not only missed the Decker tipped INT returned for a TD and the Carter PI which was questionable at best, then there are the 3 holding calls on run plays...etc...The Broncos should file a grievance at the least.

Funny how Gumble and Dierdorf didn't point this out out of the break. This is as bad as the Pat's clearing the snow for the kicker back in the 80's.

spdirty
01-14-2013, 05:48 PM
They did point it out.

Bronco Yoda
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Too bad no one on our side took the initiative to physically stop them. I wonder if the raven players would have let us get away with that on their turf?

UberBroncoMan
01-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Wonder if our bench made a big deal about it, or noticed it. That's ****ed up that they got a free kick.

Cito Pelon
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Coach Fox just said the ST coach did notice it and was yelling at the Side Judge, but they just ignored him.

R8R H8R
01-14-2013, 05:53 PM
i heard someone on the radio say it is against the rules, but it is not penalized. Fox said he informed the refs, but by the time they told him to leave the field, he already got 1 practice kick.

go_broncos
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Worst officiating crew..They tried their best so that Ravens can win the game and they succeeded.

broncosteven
01-14-2013, 05:59 PM
i heard someone on the radio say it is against the rules, but it is not penalized. Fox said he informed the refs, but by the time they told him to leave the field, he already got 1 practice kick.

A grievance with the league better be filed.

BroncosfanGuy
01-14-2013, 06:00 PM
they got away with more than just a free practice kick.

Ratboy
01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
We were robbed at gun point and nothing was done to stop it.

**** this ****.

Cito Pelon
01-14-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah, they did. That little leg-whip on DThomas was sort of ignored.

troyjbath
01-14-2013, 06:06 PM
Yep, and Tucker continued to practice kicks during the pre-game armed forces ceremony. They had to go around him. It was a Bush league move. There were quite a few of us in the stands that were pissed.

ZONA
01-14-2013, 06:14 PM
If it's not penalized then what's the point in having the rule. That's just insane. If you enforce it with a real penalty, then you won't see anybody doing it again. That's why he went out there. If it's a penalty, he doesn't go out there. Obviously this needs to be addressed in the rules offseason.

enjolras
01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Yep, and Tucker continued to practice kicks during the pre-game armed forces ceremony. They had to go around him. It was a Bush league move. There were quite a few of us in the stands that were pissed.

That happens all the time tho.

troyjbath
01-14-2013, 06:55 PM
That happens all the time tho.

Not to the extent of what happened on Saturday. I've never seen anything like it. They were marching onto the field in formation and he was right in their path. Tucker and 5 or 6 trainers didn't move.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 07:02 PM

I read the same thing yesterday. They're supposed to stop it but there isn't a penalty for it.

I really hope somebody puts together a video compilation of all the calls/non-calls Denver got jobbed on. That would really be something to see.

Jetmeck
01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
I read the same thing yesterday. They're supposed to stop it but there isn't a penalty for it.

I really hope somebody puts together a video compilation of all the calls/non-calls Denver got jobbed on. That would really be something to see.

Ya know I agree with ya we got hosed by the officials but if we whine about every little call or no call we are gonna look like a little biatch especially after the way we played on offense and defense.

ST was great ecept for Prater.............hitting the ground before the ball.........really ?

MplsBronco
01-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Too bad no one on our side took the initiative to physically stop them. I wonder if the raven players would have let us get away with that on their turf?

This. Adams just stood by and watched. Why wouldn't you stand in the way and block it? F em.

ozomulsion
01-14-2013, 08:24 PM
We lost because we played our worst game of the season, along with bad play calls and "Rahim the Dream" turning into a nightmare. Get over the practice kicks.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-14-2013, 08:30 PM
All that needed to happen was for one of our players to stand right in the way. I was yelling that at the TV. Everyone just stood there crying like a bunch of girls. Get in the way.

McDman
01-14-2013, 08:31 PM
There is no penalty for it so it is a moot point.

Cito Pelon
01-14-2013, 08:35 PM
All that needed to happen was for one of our players to stand right in the way. I was yelling that at the TV. Everyone just stood there crying like a bunch of girls. Get in the way.

Yup.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-14-2013, 08:37 PM
There is no penalty for it so it is a moot point.

There is no penalty for our players physically blocking an illegal practice kick. Better yet, kick the ball away from the holder while the opposing kicker lines up.

maher_tyler
01-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Anyone else see today's NFL live?

Apparently at the end of the 5th Quarter the Ravens sent their kicker out for a practice kick. I thought this was not allowed outside of pre-game and at the half? He barely made the kick as it was.

Trey Wingo and Mangini both agreed this was against the rules.

If they did drop a flag (which the officals were loath to do vs the Ravens most of the night) should it have been a 15 yard Foul or 10 yard delay of game?

I don't like complaining about poor officiating but it is clear that they not only missed the Decker tipped INT returned for a TD and the Carter PI which was questionable at best, then there are the 3 holding calls on run plays...etc...The Broncos should file a grievance at the least.

Funny how Gumble and Dierdorf didn't point this out out of the break. This is as bad as the Pat's clearing the snow for the kicker back in the 80's.

They did point it out. As they were coming off the break. After how bad the game was officiated I didn't even care at that point. The refs had already left their mark on the game at that point.

R8R H8R
01-14-2013, 08:48 PM
There is no penalty for our players physically blocking an illegal practice kick. Better yet, kick the ball away from the holder while the opposing kicker lines up.

Better yet, pull a "Lucy" to the kicker's "Charlie Brown" and let him fall on his ***.

Bronco Yoda
01-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Exactly. That's why i brought it up about SOMEBODY, ANYBODY stepping up and getting in the guys way. Take some initiative. I don't blame the Ravens. can't fault them for trying to get away with something like that. The refs... they were drowning in full suck mode. No, that was on the Broncos. Instead of ST coach crying, send someone out there. It's situational football. You're either prepared for it or not. You either have the gritty mindset of "get that **** off my field" or you don't. We need to get meaner.

Taco John
01-14-2013, 09:36 PM
I thought the officiating was terrible, but I have a hard time using it as an excuse why we lost this game. When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't. That right there tells you a little about how they were going to officiate this game, which is to say "just let the players play." This is what people are always demanding of the officials - especially in the post season. That means be agressive. And frankly, we weren't - and that's the problem, not the officials.

That was our house, and we played not to lose. Not just Fox, but the entire team - outside of guys like Holliday. Were was the pressure on Flacco? 1 sack all day? Meanwhile the Ravens sacked Manning 3 times, forced 2 fumbles, and 2 interceptions. Peyton Manning was fighting for his life back there and still managed 3 TDs - and still people complain that it wasn't enough.

I put this loss on the coaches - Fox, McCoy, Del Rio. And I have to say that the defense played without too much pride back there. They read too many of their own press clippings, and played the game like they thought the Ravens offense was just going to hand them the game.

We need a middle linebacker who can be an emotional team leader and bring the kind of intensity that Al Wilson brought - not to mention give us the size to help with one of our chief weaknesses - the TE. And this is the draft to do it. This is probably the deepest draft class for middle linebackers in a few years.

As far as the coaches go, I don't want any of them fired, though I won't be sad to see McCoy move on. I was never convinced that he's the kind of OC that can out-plan some of the better defenses in this league, and the way they played against the Ravens didn't give me any confidence in him. I remember when Shanahan/Kubiak would break out something special to exploit a match-up. If that happened at all this game, I sure didn't recognize it. Seemed pretty vanilla out there to me - which is very frustrating for a playoff game.

Chris
01-14-2013, 10:26 PM
TJ it actually makes me feel better to hear you articulate that and I COMPLETELY agree.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-14-2013, 10:27 PM
this gets one who gives a **** from me

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-14-2013, 10:28 PM

This. There was footage during the game of the kick. You see champ holding up his arms to the refs questioning why it was allowed. He should've ran over and just grabbed the ball.

Coaches didnt want to take initiative in this game so why should the players? It was a sad performance top to bottom

SonOfLe-loLang
01-14-2013, 10:29 PM
I thought the officiating was terrible, but I have a hard time using it as an excuse why we lost this game. When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't. That right there tells you a little about how they were going to officiate this game, which is to say "just let the players play." This is what people are always demanding of the officials - especially in the post season. That means be agressive. And frankly, we weren't - and that's the problem, not the officials.

That was our house, and we played not to lose. Not just Fox, but the entire team - outside of guys like Holliday. Were was the pressure on Flacco? 1 sack all day? Meanwhile the Ravens sacked Manning 3 times, forced 2 fumbles, and 2 interceptions. Peyton Manning was fighting for his life back there and still managed 3 TDs - and still people complain that it wasn't enough.

I put this loss on the coaches - Fox, McCoy, Del Rio. And I have to say that the defense played without too much pride back there. They read too many of their own press clippings, and played the game like they thought the Ravens offense was just going to hand them the game.

We need a middle linebacker who can be an emotional team leader and bring the kind of intensity that Al Wilson brought - not to mention give us the size to help with one of our chief weaknesses - the TE. And this is the draft to do it. This is probably the deepest draft class for middle linebackers in a few years.

As far as the coaches go, I don't want any of them fired, though I won't be sad to see McCoy move on. I was never convinced that he's the kind of OC that can out-plan some of the better defenses in this league, and the way they played against the Ravens didn't give me any confidence in him. I remember when Shanahan/Kubiak would break out something special to exploit a match-up. If that happened at all this game, I sure didn't recognize it. Seemed pretty vanilla out there to me - which is very frustrating for a playoff game.

I def don't put the loss on the refs, but had they not made some bs calls, the outcome probably is different. The one that really sticks in my craw was the Champ interference at the end. An official like 30 yards away threw that flag and, instead of having the ball on the like 30, we got it on the six. That was a tough one to swallow

Taco John
01-14-2013, 10:47 PM
I def don't put the loss on the refs, but had they not made some bs calls, the outcome probably is different. The one that really sticks in my craw was the Champ interference at the end. An official like 30 yards away threw that flag and, instead of having the ball on the like 30, we got it on the six. That was a tough one to swallow

I hear you. That first touchdown where Torrey Smith "beat" Champ Bailey - he pushed off, and that's how he got separation. There was no "beating" about it. But even still, I could see complaining about the refs if they were calling that stuff on our guys and not on theirs. But that's not what happened. Our guys weren't playing as physically aggressive as their guys were. And that was the difference in the game. That's why they got the touchdowns they got. That's why they got the turnovers. That's why they got the forced fumbles. They created their "breaks" by 'out-physicalling' us.

TonyR
01-15-2013, 06:14 AM
I When Decker ran to the endzone to celebrate that touchdown, they could have penalized us there, but didn't.

Incorrect. This has been discussed in multiple places and is not a penalty. Even Pereira supported this call.

For those asking about celebration, it's not a foul to leave the team area after a score.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MikePereira/status/290229059487674368?p=v

Agree that you can't pin this all on the refs. But any attempt to suggest that "both teams got screwed" or that the outcome wasn't very possibly impacted by the multiple calls that went against the Broncos just doesn't fly.

TonyR
01-15-2013, 06:17 AM
That's why they got the turnovers.

Again, I don't disagree with your overall point. But I don't give the Ravens a whole lot of credit for blatantly interfering with Decker in the 1st quarter and getting a game altering pick-6 out of it. Particularly when juxtaposed with the phantom calls on Carter and Champ.