PDA

View Full Version : Ravens - Broncos officiating

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 06:55 AM
A thread may have been done on the topic already, and the Broncos certainly had enough of their own mistakes and stupidity to let the BAL hang around to take advantage, but I and a lot of other people who aren't even Broncos fans just can't get over how lopsided the officiating was Saturday. Who the hell was that referee anyway? None of us had ever seen him! Below is a list of crucial calls/non-calls/bad calls I had a problem with. Feel free to add anything I missed or flame what I listed.

1. Ticky tack interference on Carter on a third down pass that was close to uncatchable to keep the Ratbirds second drive alive after they were pinned deep. DEN was going to get the ball back with great field position and possibly put the game away shortly after. A few plays later, Smith gets behind Bailey for a TD.

2. Ratbirds DB clearly grabs Decker's arm, ball deflects off Decker to Graham. Pick six, Ratbirds. If you're going to call #1, you damn sure better call this one.

3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

4. Holding to negate a third down conversion by Hester. Never, EVER seen this called on a quick hitter. Ratbirds DT was actually falling over and pulled the OL down with him, but this was when the play was basically over. Broncos were putting together a decent drive, and of course the next play on third and long, Manning gets sacked and fumbles leading to a short BAL TD drive.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

6. Bailey "interference" call on third down. Really?! Along with #5, allowed the Ratbirds to pin DEN deep.

Honorable mention 1. The BAL tackles and OL did not draw a SINGLE holding call in almost 5 quarters of play against two of the league's best outside pass rushers. Seriously?! I did see Doom get blatantly raped at least twice by McKinnie. See #4.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Kudos to the Ratbirds for taking advantage of every break, and I hope they win next week, but they got A LOT of help this weekend.

BroncoFiend
01-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm not a 'blame the refs guy' by any means, but the overall performance of the refs in that game was terrible.

My 9 year old son started saying 'Here's the star of the show again' every time that ref was on camera.

Between the bad calls and the ridiculous amount of time they took discussing everything I hope that is the last game they call.

CEH
01-14-2013, 07:03 AM
A thread may have been done on the topic already, and the Broncos certainly had enough of their own mistakes and stupidity to let the BAL hang around to take advantage, but I and a lot of other people who aren't even Broncos fans just can't get over how lopsided the officiating was Saturday. Who the hell was that referee anyway? None of us had ever seen him! Below is a list of crucial calls/non-calls/bad calls I had a problem with. Feel free to add anything I missed or flame what I listed.

1. Ticky tack interference on Carter on a third down pass that was close to uncatchable to keep the Ratbirds second drive alive after they were pinned deep. DEN was going to get the ball back with great field position and possibly put the game away shortly after. A few plays later, Smith gets behind Bailey for a TD.

2. Ratbirds DB clearly grabs Decker's arm, ball deflects off Decker to Graham. Pick six, Ratbirds. If you're going to call #1, you damn sure better call this one.

3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

4. Holding to negate a third down conversion by Hester. Never, EVER seen this called on a quick hitter. Ratbirds DT was actually falling over and pulled the OL down with him, but this was when the play was basically over. Broncos were putting together a decent drive, and of course the next play on third and long, Manning gets sacked and fumbles leading to a short BAL TD drive.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

6. Bailey "interference" call on third down. Really?! Along with #5, allowed the Ratbirds to pin DEN deep.

Honorable mention 1. The BAL tackles and OL did not draw a SINGLE holding call in almost 5 quarters of play against two of the league's best outside pass rushers. Seriously?! I did see Doom get blatantly raped at least twice by McKinnie. See #4.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Kudos to the Ratbirds for taking advantage of every break, and I hope they win next week, but they got A LOT of help this weekend.

To me the Carter PI early was a very bad call for a playoff game. Saw plenty of non call in the other games worst that what Carter was called for

TonyR
01-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Good thread, mostly agree. Just a few comments.

On 3, I think maybe Miller was in the neutral zone but would like to see the replay again.
On 5, I agree it wasn't a catch but since so close and the call on the field was a catch it was hard to overturn.
On the practice field goal, I read yesterday that in this situation refs are supposed to stop it but there is no penalty for this.

Also, someone remind me, I recall a defender leg whipping/tripping DT on a play and there was no call but I don't recall the exact situation. I just recall being annoyed, which explains how I felt for much of the game.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2013, 07:10 AM
A week ago, the smart money was on the league doing whatever they could to ensure a Manning/Brady AFC Championship Game. Now, after watching the officiating in both the AFC Divisional Games and seeing the way they were blatantly screwing Denver and NE, I'm convinced that there is one of two things going on:

1. They want Ray Ray in the SB; or
2. The refs were instructed to go out of their way and do whatever they could to NOT make it look like they were pulling for the Manning/Brady ratings bonanza.

I'm leaning towards #1. They didn't get their wish of having the easier matchup with Houston in the 2nd round, but they'll pull a few more strings next week to try to ensure that Ray gets there.

go_broncos
01-14-2013, 07:17 AM
A week ago, the smart money was on the league doing whatever they could to ensure a Manning/Brady AFC Championship Game. Now, after watching the officiating in both the AFC Divisional Games and seeing the way they were blatantly screwing Denver and NE, I'm convinced that there is one of two things going on:

2. The refs were instructed to go out of their way and do whatever they could to NOT make it look like they were pulling for the Manning/Brady ratings bonanza.

I'm leaning towards #1. They didn't get their wish of having the easier matchup with Houston in the 2nd round, but they'll pull a few more strings next week to try to ensure that Ray gets there.

I agree...That's the reason i am predicting that Baltimore will win next week.
officiating crew tried their best to screw denver..

Crushisback
01-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Let me fill in a few more.

1. The non call for PI on the deep ball to Thomas. Williams gave him an arm bar then threw his leg out and tripped him.

2. The non call on the short dump over the middle on third down later in the game. The guy showed up way early.

Rohirrim
01-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Like I said yesterday, the scabs did a better job. And they were terrible. You don't make cheap calls like that in the playoffs. You let them play. That crew should never be allowed to work a playoff game again.

go_broncos
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
We got the worst officiating crew..They should never be allowed again..

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2013, 07:22 AM
1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

LRtagger
01-14-2013, 07:23 AM
They were so bad that I was actually nervous they were going to overturn that Stokely catch on 3rd down even though there was clear video evidence that it was a catch. The fact that they even got booth review calls wrong (Bolden catch) boggles the mind.

Uncle Bill
01-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.

We were also given a verrry generous spot on that third and short that was reviewed. Obviously, there wasn't a conclusive replay, and the 1st down stood, but it looked like Hester was nowhere near the marker.

All in all, I thought the refs were horrible, both ways. Just horrible. But they're far from the main reason why we lost...

milehighJC
01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

This. I cant believe that is a good thing. I heard the term "all star refs". Refs should not be stars of ANY game, they should be as invisible as possible.

I dont know if I've been in the stadium before where the crowd booed so much at the refs, including replacement official's games. But at the end of the day, if the Broncos had played up to their potential, I dont believe the refs would have made a difference. But they did not, and the game was close enough that bad calls ultimately did make a difference IMHO.

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 07:37 AM

Are fuggin serious? Several people I watched the game with who had no ties to either team literally had no idea who he was. Then the same thing was talked about at work this morning. That is horrible by the NFL.

I also agree with the timing of the calls or whatever you want to call them couldn't have been more backbreaking.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Are fuggin serious? Several people I watched the game with who had no ties to either team literally had no idea who he was. Then the same thing was talked about at work this morning. That is horrible by the NFL.

I also agree with the timing of the calls or whatever you want to call them couldn't have been more backbreaking.

So fuggin serious.

Also, the pace of play was terrible. These guys looked like a crew who had never worked together before. They slowed down the game, particularly when we had the ball on offense. What does our offensive gameplan rely on? PACE OF PLAY. Smh.

Just absolutely terrible. The league should be ashamed of the product it put out on the field.

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 07:42 AM

I literally posted the same exact things with the same exact commentary in another thread on Saturday after the game. You are correct in your analysis of all of these. The refs aren't the only reason we lost but they were part of it. The PI call on Carter and the no PI call on Decker are the ones that erk me the most. Call ticky tack on us which leads to 7-7 instead of maybe 10-0 or 14-0, and then no call on Decker. So instead of up 10 or 14 we are down 7. Either a 17 or 21 point swing. You can't call touchy stuff one way and not the other.

The Boldin catch hit the ground, and even if they say it didn't he didn't have possession until he was out of bounds.

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 07:43 AM
Good thread, mostly agree. Just a few comments.

On 3, I think maybe Miller was in the neutral zone but would like to see the replay again.
On 5, I agree it wasn't a catch but since so close and the call on the field was a catch it was hard to overturn.
On the practice field goal, I read yesterday that in this situation refs are supposed to stop it but there is no penalty for this.

Also, someone remind me, I recall a defender leg whipping/tripping DT on a play and there was no call but I don't recall the exact situation. I just recall being annoyed, which explains how I felt for much of the game.

We didn't get to see the replay on Miller (of course), but he appeared to time the snap about as well as you could time it.

I was going to mention the DT play, but I think he got away with a push off which may have gotten himself a little off balance to begin with. I wasn't too pissy about that play.

TD4HOF
01-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Don't blame the refs but I thought the Kuper holding call was ludicrious and the most egregious of all. Not sure if I've ever seen that one.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 07:48 AM
We didn't get to see the replay on Miller (of course), but he appeared to time the snap about as well as you could time it.

Ah, yes, sorry. I was thinking of a different play in my reply earlier. Forgot about this play. Miller was definitely not off sides. Yet another bad call.

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 07:49 AM

You must have been watching a different game. The block in the back you are talking about was on Hester and it was not a block in the back. Watch the replay again...he starts off blocking him in the front and as they start to fall it looks like he is pushing him in the back. It was legal.

Also, they didn't call PI on Thomas on that TD drive. They called holding before the pass and it was.

Gutless Drunk
01-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Don't blame the refs but I thought the Kuper holding call was ludicrious and the most egregious of all. Not sure if I've ever seen that one.

and it came in way late. Very weird call.

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I literally posted the same exact things with the same exact commentary in another thread on Saturday after the game. You are correct in your analysis of all of these. The refs aren't the only reason we lost but they were part of it. The PI call on Carter and the no PI call on Decker are the ones that erk me the most. Call ticky tack on us which leads to 7-7 instead of maybe 10-0 or 14-0, and then no call on Decker. So instead of up 10 or 14 we are down 7. Either a 17 or 21 point swing. You can't call touchy stuff one way and not the other.

The Boldin catch hit the ground, and even if they say it didn't he didn't have possession until he was out of bounds.

Yeah, I'm not one to criticize about the refs unless it's justified, but when people at work this morning are calling it an obvious screw job, it led me to make a thread. The Broncos outside of the return games definitely did enough to lose the game on their own.

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Exactly. Between the two bad PI calls early (Carter and Decker) and the holding on third and 1 you are talking about a 20 point swing. That doesn't even factory in the other bad calls.

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 07:51 AM

I was going to mention the DT play, but I think he got away with a push off which may have gotten himself a little off balance to begin with. I wasn't too pissy about that play.

They did show a replay of Miller and he was not offsides. I think that one ended up not mattering though

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Hester's progress was essentially stopped when the "hold" occurred.

How the hell would you have any time to hold on a quick hitter to the up back?

If anything, it was defensive holding by 96!

TonyR
01-14-2013, 07:52 AM
You must have been watching a different game. The block in the back you are talking about was on Hester and it was not a block in the back. Watch the replay again...he starts off blocking him in the front and as they start to fall it looks like he is pushing him in the back. It was legal.

Also, they didn't call PI on Thomas on that TD drive. They called holding before the pass and it was.

On your first point, I won't argue because I admittedly didn't get a great look at it. Saw one replay and everyone at the party I was at reacted to what looked like a block in the back. Wish I could see it again.

On the second point, maybe we're not talking about the same thing? I just remember us getting a gift PI call and I'm pretty sure it was on that drive.

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 07:57 AM
On your first point, I won't argue because I admittedly didn't get a great look at it. Saw one replay and everyone at the party I was at reacted to what looked like a block in the back. Wish I could see it again.

On the second point, maybe we're not talking about the same thing? I just remember us getting a gift PI call and I'm pretty sure it was on that drive.

On the PI call it seemed that way because there was no PI and the Ravens players freaked out. But the ref called defensive holding prior to the pass and it clearly was. On the replay Thomas came out of his break and the guy grabbed the back of his jersey and pulled on him.

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Yeah, DT dropped one a few plays before he scored.

That was sort of a gift defensive holding that went the Broncos way.

spdirty
01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Even with all the crap that happened, we still had a 97.5% chance to win with a minute left. That's what really stings.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2013, 08:00 AM
The refs cost us the game. Period. Don't give me that "it went both ways" crap. It did not. The Ravens are not in position to win the game without those egregious errors that lead directly to unearned, underserved points. The missed PI call on the pick six alone probably made the difference. I'm sick of people trying to bail out the refs by saying "well, you have to overcome that and we should have won anyway." Bull. The Ravens shouldn't have been in position to win and didn't deserve to win. The refs handed it to them.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Yeah, DT dropped one a few plays before he scored.

That was sort of a gift defensive holding that went the Broncos way.

Wrong. There's was absolutely defensive holding on that play.

loborugger
01-14-2013, 08:02 AM

This. There was a handful of calls that went our way. Seems like we got a facemask where the Raven defender's hand grazed the mask. Overall it was a poorly officiated game all around that left both fan bases shaking their heads.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2013, 08:04 AM
This. There was a handful of calls that went our way. Seems like we got a facemask where the Raven defender's hand grazed the mask. Overall it was a poorly officiated game all around that left both fan bases shaking their heads.

Wrong. As has been pointed out, there was no block in the back on the play, it just looked that way on one of the camera angles. And there was clear defensive holding on the Thomas play. Ravens were mad because they thought PI was called, but it was the holding earlier in the play. Literally all the bad calls in this game went the Ravens way. Period.

WolfpackGuy
01-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Wrong. There's was absolutely defensive holding on that play.

I see in one of the other posts there was a grab of the jersey.

I must've missed that somehow with all the other BS that happened on Saturday.

Tombstone RJ
01-14-2013, 08:11 AM
the refs sucked, no doubt about it. It was a horribly officiated game. Not one holding call on the ratbirds oline? Seriously?

Certainly the Broncos are the main culprits in this loss, but the bad officiating is the straw the broke the camel's back IMHO.

spdirty
01-14-2013, 08:24 AM
Bottom line, when we look back and talk about this game 5, 10, 15 years from now, the refs won't be what is talked about. Rahim Moore will be. He is our Earnest Byner, Bill Buckner, etc. And for that reason he needs to go.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2013, 08:33 AM
Bottom line, when we look back and talk about this game 5, 10, 15 years from now, the refs won't be what is talked about. Rahim Moore will be. He is our Earnest Byner, Bill Buckner, etc. And for that reason he needs to go.

He's more Bartman than Buckner; more Barrett Robbins than Earnest Byner.

By that, I mean he'll likely be submitted to the dustbin of history. Buckner and Byner were both great players who had moments of terrible play. Rahim Moore... he may never be the same guy psychologically. Frankly, I'm hoping he doesn't kill himself. He's really taking this hard, as he should be, but... damn.

Crushaholic
01-14-2013, 08:35 AM

Rahim Moore should have never had to cover that guy. I think the coaches were just trying something else, seeing that Champ was being beaten like a drum. I blame the person who called that formation...

TonyR
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Rahim Moore should have never had to cover that guy. I think the coaches were just trying something else, seeing that Champ was being beaten like a drum. I blame the person who called that formation...

If I remember correctly it was Carter (or Harris?) who had the coverage. He dropped the coverage to Moore for whatever reason. Moore wasn't in the right postion, took a bad angle, and went for the ball instead of Jones. He probably misjudged the trajectory of the ball. Moore should have never let Jones get behind him, and Carter/Harris never should have dropped coverage.

Beej
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I'd like to just add that Peyton's "fumble" was the classic tuck rule, and should have been called incomplete. That looked no different than Brady's famous call.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2013, 08:50 AM

Ummm, what?!? What exactly is the job of a safety in a prevent defense if it's not to cover the only guy running deep on your side of the field?

TonyR
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM

No way would the league choose Ray Lewis over Peyton Manning, particularly considering the possibility of a Brady/Manning rematch. There's no conspiracy here. This is just a case of bad officiating that went against us far too often.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2013, 09:12 AM
No way would the league choose Ray Lewis over Peyton Manning, particularly considering the possibility of a Brady/Manning rematch. There's no conspiracy here. This is just a case of bad officiating that went against us far too often.

Don't agree that there's "no way" the league would pick Ray Ray over Manning/Brady. They can have Manning/Brady next season.

I still don't think it's a conspiracy; too many factors with this particular crew point to incompetence. But I can see where the argument could be made.

2KBack
01-14-2013, 09:13 AM

The NFL wouldn't....but the Refs might. Lets us not forget the relationship the refs and the NFL have at the moment.

Beantown Bronco
01-14-2013, 09:15 AM

What TEKO wrote. Manning's not retiring. Lewis is. It's his "last hoorah" and could cement his "best LB ever" credentials if he notches another one, especially with a SB MVP award if he keeps racking up 15+ tackle games like they're candy.

sgbfan
01-14-2013, 09:29 AM
They did show a replay of Miller and he was not offsides. I think that one ended up not mattering though

He started moving before the snap, but he was moving backwards. Refs saw movement and threw the flag. Would be tough to see in real time as he started moving forward right at the snap.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Is there an explanation from the refs anywhere about why Manning's fumble wasn't the tuck rule? I personally think the tuck rule is dumb, but id like to know why that wasn't enforced.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 09:33 AM
He started moving before the snap, but he was moving backwards. Refs saw movement and threw the flag. Would be tough to see in real time as he started moving forward right at the snap.

Not only that but I think the Ravens moved after the snap, while Miller moved with it. So he moved before their O-line did. The refs should have been watching the ball instead of the O-line.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Is there an explanation from the refs anywhere about why Manning's fumble wasn't the tuck rule? I personally think the tuck rule is dumb, but id like to know why that wasn't enforced.

I read somewhere the opinion that there wasn't enough evidence to overrule the call on the field. Just as with the Bolding "catch" that wasn't. The Broncos just came out on the losing end of almost every close call.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM

Yeah, I'm not as irate about that one simply because I think it's a stupid rule, BUT if it's on the books and you're going to call it, I don't see how it didn't apply in that case.

MplsBronco
01-14-2013, 09:36 AM
The refs cost us the game. Period. Don't give me that "it went both ways" crap. It did not. The Ravens are not in position to win the game without those egregious errors that lead directly to unearned, underserved points. The missed PI call on the pick six alone probably made the difference. I'm sick of people trying to bail out the refs by saying "well, you have to overcome that and we should have won anyway." Bull. The Ravens shouldn't have been in position to win and didn't deserve to win. The refs handed it to them.

Nothing truer has been spoken. It was a plain and simple screw job and every bad call they made Balt capitalized on. So Balt does deserve some credit as those were huge momentum swings.

So, when you factor in all the stuff the players and coaches screwed up and the screw job by the refs, yet we were still so close to winning is really saying something. I told my cousing when it was 28-28 if the Broncs managed to win they were going to win the SB without doubt. Everything went wrong (althought some things went right, Holliday) yet we were still so close. If they could have just got thru what was a very bizarre game there was no stopping them after that.

sgbfan
01-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Not only were the calls bad, but the timing was horrible

1. PI on Carter... A few plays later was a long bomb for a TD.

2. Missed PI on Decker... Directly led to a pick 6.

3. Holding call on Kuper... Next play fumble by Manning.
3b. No tuck rule for Manning (dumb rule, but if you have it I don't know why this doesn't count)... few plays later, big run for Rice that leads to a TD.

Combine that with the 2 TD's to end the half and the game, and thats all that the Ravens got.

Denver has many reasons to have lost the game on their own accord (Bailey, Moore, Peyton's pick, missed FG, No pass rush, conservative 3rd down runs, etc...) but these things probably don't come into play if it isn't for the refs.

TonyR
01-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I told my cousing when it was 28-28 if the Broncs managed to win they were going to win the SB without doubt.

That's quite a leap. I think the Patriots, and then either the Niners or Falcons, might be factors worth considering...

sgbfan
01-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Bad calls in favor of the Broncos (if you ask a Ravens fan).

1. Defensive holding call on 3rd down on DT. It might be a nit picky call, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

2. Hands to the face on Mannings fumble. a) his hand was up at the neck, so it was a close call b) there was another hands to the face call on the same play c) Manning didn't even really fumble as his knee was down.

Because of those 2 calls it "went both ways". What else am I missing?

LetsGoBroncos
01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
That's quite a leap. I think the Patriots, and then either the Niners or Falcons, might be factors worth considering...

Disagree. I truly think we would have recognized we didn't play good and come out firing on all cylinders against NE. Not to mention it is going to be better weather.

MplsBronco
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Disagree. I truly think we would have recognized we didn't play good and come out firing on all cylinders against NE. Not to mention it is going to be better weather.

Thank you. Better weather, better officiating, a sense we got away with a close one leading to sharper focus. It would have propelled us over the top.

MplsBronco
01-14-2013, 09:54 AM

1. Defensive holding call on 3rd down on DT. It might be a nit picky call, but it wasn't out of nowhere.

2. Hands to the face on Mannings fumble. a) his hand was up at the neck, so it was a close call b) there was another hands to the face call on the same play c) Manning didn't even really fumble as his knee was down.

Very minor plays in comparison. So hardly equals things out. Plus on number 2, didn't they spot the ball from the point of the fumble rather than the original line of scrimmage. That seemed like another error to me especially when he didn't really fumble.

Quoydogs
01-14-2013, 09:59 AM
All I have to say is when Dan Deirforffus starts saying WOAH that's not right on a call against Denver while playing the Bert and the sesame street gang. You know somethings wrong.

sgbfan
01-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Very minor plays in comparison. So hardly equals things out. Plus on number 2, didn't they spot the ball from the point of the fumble rather than the original line of scrimmage. That seemed like another error to me especially when he didn't really fumble.

Exactly. But I'm sure if you ask Ravens fans, "it went both ways."

MplsBronco
01-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Did the Ravens get called for a single holding penalty? Didn't the Broncos get called for 3 or 4 holds on RUNNING plays? Total screw job.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
01-14-2013, 10:17 AM
Did the Ravens get called for a single holding penalty? Didn't the Broncos get called for 3 or 4 holds on RUNNING plays? Total screw job.

No, the Raven O-Line went flag-free all day.

This is the same O-Line who had been playing together for exactly one (1) week prior to the game in Denver.

So while they went flag-free, the Broncos -- best pass rushing team in the league -- was held to one sack, in overtime.

So. Yeah.

ZONA
01-14-2013, 10:50 AM

I knew at that point, these refs were totally incompetent.

cutman0122
01-14-2013, 03:36 PM

Number 2 would not have led to a fumble as the replay would have overturned it. Manning's knee was clearly down before the ball came out as you mentioned. Even the announcers called it when they showed the replay.

broncobum6162
01-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree. Agree. Agreeeeeeeeeee......what more can I say......

Action
01-14-2013, 04:11 PM
I thought the non PI call on Thomas was ridiculous. Williams grabbed him and feel and kicked his legs to trip Thomas.

I mean c'mon son...

bpc
01-14-2013, 04:23 PM
I think two scores came directly off calls/non-calls for Baltimore. The Decker INT was a crappy play by him but he got nailed in the back. HELLO? Penalty? T. Suggs took out Hester later on a 3rd down the same way... no call. Baltimore scored on the 2nd bomb against Champ 2-3 plays later. Also, Kuper got called for a phantom holding call that brought back a 3rd and 1 conversion for us. I think Baltimore went on to score the very next drive.

These are all drives that put us in a much larger hole than this game should have ever been. Yes, we blew it too but the officials played a HUGE role in us losing.

Vine
01-14-2013, 06:19 PM

I agree with this. Overall, the officiating was just downright horrendous. Quite possibly the worst officiated Broncos game of the season. (Even worse than the first couple of weeks with replacement officials) Too bad it happen to come in the playoffs.

Vine
01-14-2013, 06:40 PM

When the forward motion of Manning's arm was complete, and his hand came to a complete stop around his waist, the ball was still in complete control in Manning's hand for a very split second. At this point, the tuck rule no longer applies, because the forward motion of his arm came to a complete stop. The ball came out a split second after his arm stopped moving.

Boogerboots
01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Well maybe the Refs did the fix for the sake of public safety to avoid the chance of another post game Ginsu limo ride.