PDA

View Full Version : We should have known better.

spiralism
01-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Direct quote from reddit but it speaks VOLUMES

In the 12 seasons (Manning) made the playoffs he has 11 playoff losses (t-most ever), 5 playoff losses at home (all as the 1, 2, or 3 seed), a game-losing interception in the superbowl, and 8 one-and-dones (remember, out of a possible 12)?
What did you expect when the Broncos signed him? Predicting anything other than one and done from him would be awfully delusional. He makes terrible decisions in the clutch and more often than not loses the first game of the playoffs, even when he's the prohibitive favorite to win.
Those who do not know history.....

hookemhess
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
In the 12 seasons (Manning) made the playoffs he has 11 playoff losses

That seems a little silly.

DBroncos4life
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
did 2011 yield one poster worth a damn?

go_broncos
01-12-2013, 09:52 PM
He never won playoff game when the temperature is less than 40 F.
I never understood why he signed with Denver..I thought he will sign with SF..
The only thing that might have prevented is that he has to face his brother.

spiralism
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
8 one and dones is pretty horrific. I hoped that particular part of his legacy was just a colts thing but we got the full package deal.

Popps
01-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I wonder if it's possible that Manning plays at such a high level, he brings average teams with him into the playoffs, but can't win games by himself against that level of competition?

At the end of the day... we did give up 38 points, and the pick 6 was a ref-gift.

He certainly made a critical error. I just remember an old QB of ours being called a choker for dragging teams into the playoffs and then getting murdered, until he got more help.

Not saying it's a valid defense. I just wonder.

Action
01-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Not sure how you can pin this on Manning when the defense played like it did and the refs ****ing us in the asshole.

Bmore Manning
01-12-2013, 10:36 PM
did 2011 yield one poster worth a damn?

2012 yielded Bmore Manning

Bmore Manning
01-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Not sure how you can pin this on Manning when the defense played like it did and the refs ****ing us in the a-hole.

Preach.

yerner
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Manning played fine.

The Joker
01-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I wonder if it's possible that Manning plays at such a high level, he brings average teams with him into the playoffs, but can't win games by himself against that level of competition?

At the end of the day... we did give up 38 points, and the pick 6 was a ref-gift.

He certainly made a critical error. I just remember an old QB of ours being called a choker for dragging teams into the playoffs and then getting murdered, until he got more help.

I think there's an element of this, but I do think he gets a little tight in the playoffs and doesn't play his best football.

We need to give him some better weapons in the offseason. Only Thomas is any sort of big play threat on the offense. Decker's a good player but he doesn't have the big play ability that you want. Stokely, Dreesen, Tamme, and the rest of them are solid players but they don't win their individual battles enough down the field. Moreno and McGahee provided a solid running game for the most part this year but neither of them can take over a game or break a few big runs a game. They're just about good enough to keep defenses honest, but teams are still thinking pass first every time we snap the ball.

A speedy WR or a pass catching TE would be major additions to this offense. Some depth on the offensive line is a must too.

On defense, we badly need to upgrade at DT, MIKE and safety. All three were exposed today very badly.

anon
01-12-2013, 10:51 PM
@Popps -- the difference is that Elway carried the Broncos through many playoff wins. He just couldn't win the big one and also had the misfortune of facing some of the all-time great NFC teams like the Bears and Niners.

loborugger
01-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Manning played fine.

Three turn overs agree with you.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
ugh. I'm gonna say this again, and watch you ignore me because it doesnt fit your dumb narrative.

if Rahim Moore makes that play, Peyton finishes the game with a rating over 100, 3tds, and a beautiful go ahead drive. All in frigid temps. We would have remembered it as a good, maybe not great, but good performance in odd circumstances.

But now, he's complete ****. A worthless choker.

Things arent that friggin simple. Randomness happens in football. A lot. And we were victims of it today. So be it. If only every Broncos QB from now till the end of time could be as good as Peyton. What a ****ing tragedy that would be.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2013, 10:56 PM
@Popps -- the difference is that Elway carried the Broncos through many playoff wins. He just couldn't win the big one and also had the misfortune of facing some of the all-time great NFC teams like the Bears and Niners.

Elway played like absolute **** in Super Bowl 32

anon
01-12-2013, 10:58 PM
If Manning had thrown the ball away instead of throw an int. to give up great field position to Baltimore in sudden death, I don't think folks would be so hard on him.

If we had punted and the Ravens drove down and got the field goal or a TD, Manning wouldn't be as implicated. But if you want to get on Rahim Moore, you'd have to get on Manning for doing something just as boneheaded.

ugh. I'm gonna say this again, and watch you ignore me because it doesnt fit your dumb narrative.

if Rahim Moore makes that play, Peyton finishes the game with a rating over 100, 3tds, and a beautiful go ahead drive. All in frigid temps. We would have remembered it as a good, maybe not great, but good performance in odd circumstances.

But now, he's complete ****. A worthless choker.

Things arent that friggin simple. Randomness happens in football. A lot. And we were victims of it today. So be it. If only every Broncos QB from now till the end of time could be as good as Peyton. What a ****ing tragedy that would be.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I dont know why im so up in arms about this but I am.

The only reason this game was played today was because of Peyton. He didnt play great today, but he didnt play poorly, and he wasnt the reason we lost. Sorry, blame the ****ing defense.

You sound like unappreciative dickheads.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2013, 10:59 PM
I dont know why im so up in arms about this but I am.

The only reason this game was played today was because of Peyton. He didnt play great today, but he didnt play poorly, and he wasnt the reason we lost. Sorry, blame the ****ing defense.

You sound like unappreciative dickheads.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-12-2013, 11:01 PM
If Manning had thrown the ball away instead of throw an int. to give up great field position to Baltimore in sudden death, I don't think folks would be so hard on him.

If we had punted and the Ravens drove down and got the field goal or a TD, Manning wouldn't be as implicated. But if you want to get on Rahim Moore, you'd have to get on Manning for doing something just as boneheaded.

No, because Peyton Manning is the leader of the team and the reason we were here in the first place. Rahim, and the defense as a whole, **** the bed today. Again, if the D was worth a damn, overtime never happens and our entire convo is different.

yes, he made a bad throw. Yes, it wasnt his BEST game ever! But going into OT, he was still 100+ rating with three scores. Point the blame elsewhere please.

Bmore Manning
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
No, because Peyton Manning is the leader of the team and the reason we were here in the first place. Rahim, and the defense as a whole, **** the bed today. Again, if the D was worth a damn, overtime never happens and our entire convo is different.

yes, he made a bad throw. Yes, it wasnt his BEST game ever! But going into OT, he was still 100+ rating with three scores. Point the blame elsewhere please.

Preach.

anon
01-12-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm not blaming Manning. I blame the defense.

But I think it's okay to be a bit disappointed that our QB, who is known for his smarts and awareness of game situations, would try to make such a tough throw in a critical situation, a throw that is really outside of his normal comfort zone.

Other than that, I think he played a pretty good game, but that last play was a pretty crappy way to go out and typical of the game: we really didn't make them earn it on offense. The defense gave up a number of quick scores and then that last turnover in OT, ~15 yards, and then the winning field goal.

Br0nc0Buster
01-12-2013, 11:45 PM
outside of that one drive, Manning sucked in the second half

But the defense was the reason we lost

It was an absolute clown show out there
Rahim Moore doesnt completely forgot how to play football and we win the game and Manning looks fine

But he screws up and then Manning follows that up by Favring us and we are left with the results of an epic choke job

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 12:18 AM

There was nothing average about our team this year other than the run game. The defense had their first bad game in months and Manning choked in the clutch. But I still think Fox is more to blame than anyone else. We will never win a Super Bowl with Fox as our Head Coach. Period.

spiralism
01-13-2013, 06:59 AM
There was nothing average about our team this year other than the run game. The defense had their first bad game in months and Manning choked in the clutch. But I still think Fox is more to blame than anyone else. We will never win a Super Bowl with Fox as our Head Coach. Period.

I think it's a combination of things. But as far as im concerned, it's pretty much fate that Manning doesnt get it done in the playoffs. His teams always play at their worst, his coach does something inexplicable (remember caldwells timeout in 2010) and he plays below his best himself, though still pretty well.

TheReverend
01-13-2013, 07:06 AM
That seems a little silly.

Agree. Out of 12 playoff QBs, only 1 isn't getting an eventual loss.

2KBack
01-13-2013, 07:10 AM
I think it's a combination of things. But as far as im concerned, it's pretty much fate that Manning doesnt get it done in the playoffs. His teams always play at their worst, his coach does something inexplicable (remember caldwells timeout in 2010) and he plays below his best himself, though still pretty well.

So we are blaming fate now?

gunns
01-13-2013, 07:21 AM
Much ado about nothing. It was a team loss. Have to say I was most surprised by the play of the defense or I should say lack of. Did they start believing their own press? The law of averages worried me to. 11 wins, it was time for a loss. Maybe the bye wasn't such a good thing or we should have lost before the end of the season. Hope Manning sticks around, like Elway did. It is what it is. Next year......I'm excited.

Arkie
01-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Young Peyton Manning's reputation that he can't win a playoff game has stayed with him even though he has a winning playoff record since 2006.

winstoncup bronco
01-13-2013, 08:20 AM
Young Peyton Manning's reputation that he can't win a playoff game has stayed with him even though he has a winning playoff record since 2006.

Well, after last night, he's 6-5 in that time, with 4 of those coming in 2006 itself, so he's 2-5 in his last 7. Nothing to brag about, really.

Marty Schottenheimer is always remembered for choking in the playoffs, yet he is FIFTH all time in coaching wins. 200 wins, trails only Shula, Halas, Landry, Lambeau, and Paul Brown. This is the same thing. Doesn't really matter what you do in the regular season. You forge history in the playoffs, and when you don't, you become just another guy.