PDA

View Full Version : Conservative play call on 3rd & 7 cost us the game

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Sure, there is A LOT of blame to go around. But Fox takes the cake with his pussy, conservative decision to run on 3rd and 7 after the 2-minute warning.

I expected that with Tebow back there last year. I did NOT expect that with a HOF-bound QB taking snaps. The freaking game was on the line, and another first down would ice the game. Instead, Fox ran the damn ball to chew up 40 seconds, then turned things over to a porous defense.

A pussy game strategy like that deserves to implode. Well, it did! Thanks for nuttin' Fox! You stink!

sgbfan
01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
I don't have a problem with it. Used an extra 40 seconds. Dont backpetal on a deep ball moore.

DLifer
01-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Ha, this is the thing that my wife says lost the game too. She was pissed and yelling about it as soon as it happened.. and she is a very casual fan. So yeah. I was hoping our mojo from the rest of the season would somehow come back and seal up OT but I have to agree with you and with her. It was pretty obvious the chances of Hillman breaking it for 7+ yards were slim.

hades
01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Our run game was not what I thought it would be today, so I also blame Fox for those 3 failed, miserable runs in a row to try and close it out. You have PFM, use him...

ant1999e
01-12-2013, 08:05 PM
I agree. This kind of play calling loses games.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
If the defense had been lighting it up, fine. But the defense, especially our corner, SUCKED most of the game. Champ probably had his worst game as a Bronco. And the meltdown with 30 seconds left was epic.

Baltimore clearly didn't even need the extra 40 seconds, so Fox's call was the wrong move.

spiralism
01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
We had two plays with the final timeout taken and 2:17 on the clock. Pass both ****ing times, not just once - both. First down wins. Worst job they score their long bomb and give us a minute on the clock with timeouts to respond.

John Fox has a lot to answer for.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Our Tight Ends played a very good game. Between them and Brandon, I'm SURE we could have moved the chains if Manning had been given the green light to throw the ball.

And no way in hell it was Manning's decision to run.

fwf
7 yards wins the ****in game and we run it. Spin it how ever you want but fox made a unforgivable decision. That had to be a pass play. I hope he's fired.

TheChamp24
I don't see a problem with it. Worst case, you don't make the first, and Baltimore will end up having to go 80ish yards in a minute with no timeouts.
Thats basically what happened, the odds of the Ravens doing what they did was extremely low. Think about it, say Jones catches it and Moore tackles him in bounds at the 15, another 10 seconds probably would've run off after they spiked it, leaving 21 seconds left. A tackle over the middle or a sack ends the game basically.

Now, if manning passes it, its incomplete, you give the Ravens 40 extra seconds. Although looking back, might not have been a bad idea as if things transpired the same, we'd have 3 timeouts and a minute to get into field goal range to score at the end of regulation.

hades
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
We had two plays with the final timeout taken and 2:17 on the clock. Pass both ****ing times, not just once - both. First down wins. Worst job they score their long bomb and give us a minute on the clock with timeouts to respond.

John Fox has a lot to answer for.

As soon as I saw the stuffing they handed our run on 1st down, I just knew we would go 3 runs in a row and punt, giving them too much time to tie it up.

spiralism
01-12-2013, 08:13 PM
That 3rd and 7 play is to us is that defining moment your franchise will never live down. Like 4th and 27 for Green Bay, The fumble or Red Right 88 for Cleveland or 47 Wide Right for the Bills

broncobum6162
01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Sure, there is A LOT of blame to go around. But Fox takes the cake with his p***Y, conservative decision to run on 3rd and 7 after the 2-minute warning.

I expected that with Tebow back there last year. I did NOT expect that with a HOF-bound QB taking snaps. The freaking game was on the line, and another first down would ice the game. Instead, Fox ran the damn ball to chew up 40 seconds, then turned things over to a porous defense.

A p***Y game strategy like that deserves to implode. Well, it did! Thanks for nuttin' Fox! You stink!

Blame McCoy the boy wonderkind....Was thinking the same thing othewise

troya900
01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
It sure as hell is UNFORGIVABLE. You paid a damn future HOF QB almost 100 million dollars, yet in a situation in a playoff game you hand it to a ****ing rookie to ice the game? That's like having Jordan on your team and draw up a some dumb play for a rookie to take the final shot to ice the game. Just mind boggling stupid, but Fox does this over and over and over again. I wish he would just step down in absolute shame and get the hell out of Denver stupid worthless scrub.

go_broncos
01-12-2013, 08:17 PM
That 3rd and 7 play is to us is that defining moment your franchise will never live down. Like 4th and 27 for Green Bay, The fumble or Red Right 88 for Cleveland or 47 Wide Right for the Bills

:(

Cito Pelon
01-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Our run game was not what I thought it would be today, so I also blame Fox for those 3 failed, miserable runs in a row to try and close it out. You have PFM, use him...

It wasn't just the 3rd and 7, the second down before it you pass to seal the game.

KipCorrington25
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I don't quite get why people are blaming Fox he wasn't making that call I'd put it on McCoy and he'll be hired by someone anyway I'm not sure anyone will be too upset by him leaving.

winstoncup bronco
You have PFM, use him...

One of two things happened today:

1. Fox can't coach

2. Manning couldn't throw

How is anyone supposed to be optimistic when you have at least one of these problems?

bronco militia
This is the kind of **** that I was worried about against the pats. But john fox got outcoached by a ****ing harbaugh.

Bring in kyle shanahan

bronco militia
01-12-2013, 08:20 PM
This is the kind of **** that I was worried about against the pats. But john fox got outcoached by a ****ing harbaugh.

Bring in kyle shanahan

broncobum6162
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't see a problem with it. Worst case, you don't make the first, and Baltimore will end up having to go 80ish yards in a minute with no timeouts.
Thats basically what happened, the odds of the Ravens doing what they did was extremely low. Think about it, say Jones catches it and Moore tackles him in bounds at the 15, another 10 seconds probably would've run off after they spiked it, leaving 21 seconds left. A tackle over the middle or a sack ends the game basically.

Now, if manning passes it, its incomplete, you give the Ravens 40 extra seconds. Although looking back, might not have been a bad idea as if things transpired the same, we'd have 3 timeouts and a minute to get into field goal range to score at the end of regulation.

Then why do we have a future HOF QB and pay him 20 mil/yr. to play. We need to grow some balls on our offensive play calling not be cutting Peytons off....

BroncoBen
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
I don't quite get why people are blaming Fox he wasn't making that call I'd put it on McCoy and he'll be hired by someone anyway I'm not sure anyone will be too upset by him leaving.

We can only hope McCoy gets hired.. Maybe John Elway fires him.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Manning audibled into a lot of crappy plays today.

Vine
01-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Not to mention wasting timeouts near the end of the 1st half, AND near the end of regulation. Talk about taking the ball out of a HOF qb's hands. Such a ****ing pussy Fox is. Hate him, always will.

spdirty
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I agreed with it at the time, with this defense, a minute left and they have to go 80 to tie and with no timeouts left. But looking back, when it was 3rd and 7 against Pittsburgh, in almost exactly this situation, in the AFCCG, what did we do?

RhymesayersDU
I don't have a problem with it. Used an extra 40 seconds. Dont backpetal on a deep ball moore.

I agree with this. There's a LOT to complain about with the play calling, but this isn't it. You run and let the other team with no time outs try and drive the length of the field in 80 seconds. Not Fox's fault our Top 10 defense screwed the pooch.

Armchair Bronco

Because all Fox had to do was say this to McCoy:

Fox: "Hey, I want to win or lose with Manning. We're paying that guy $100 million, so give him the damn ball and let him throw it to ice the game. OK?"

McCoy: "Sure, coach. You're the coach! I'll get ready with 3 pass plays right now!"

lolcopter
3rd and 7 only need one first down to win?

LET'S RUN IT!!

toad
01-12-2013, 08:31 PM

^ = pretty much my thoughts.

I personally didn't like it, but it seemed like the higher percentage play at the time.

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 08:32 PM
I agree with this. There's a LOT to complain about with the play calling, but this isn't it. You run and let the other team with no time outs try and drive the length of the field in 80 seconds. Not Fox's fault our Top 10 defense screwed the pooch.

But Baltimore took over with 1:15 left and scored with 30 seconds left. They only needed 45 seconds!!! So chewing up an extra 40 seconds meant NUTTIN!

spdirty
Belichek and Parcells and Shanahan and Payton, etc. all have something that the Fox's and Schottenheimers and R666ves of the world don't have....BALLS.

lolcopter
Its a pussy call/audible when you have that QB making those throws all day

vanbrugh
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Manning audibled into a lot of crappy plays today.

Audibled into tamme who was the invisible man all day.....we were done when knowshon went down..WHERE WAS THE PASS RUSH?

winstoncup bronco
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM

It's somebody's fault the D sucked today. Even so, with the way the defense was playing all day, you entrust them to close this game out?

We had all this hoopla signing PFM, and in the end, with a chance to ice a ****ing playoff game, we bascially give up and give the other team the ball.

hades
01-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Not after watching them cram it down our throats to finish the first half. That's the conservative way out, but our D was showing multiple times they could get beat when we needed a stop.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-12-2013, 08:39 PM

They scored in how many seconds before halftime? You don't leave the door open for a team period. That was regular season game strategy in a playoff game. You do everything you can to keep that offense off the field. A 1st down wins the game and they didnt even TRY to get it. That's suicide

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Fox could have achieved the same results by pulling Manning out of the game at the end and sending in Brock "Landers" Osweiler to hand off the ball 3 times.

BroncoBen
01-12-2013, 08:44 PM
They scored in how many seconds before halftime? You don't leave the door open for a team period. That was regular season game strategy in a playoff game. You do everything you can to keep that offense off the field. A 1st down wins the game and they didnt even TRY to get it. That's suicide

Agreed.. I thought the Broncos were pulling out all the stops by playing Holiday and he came thru.. If you are asking the players to leave it all out on the field, then the coaches need to do the same.

broncobum6162
01-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Belichek and Parcells and Shanahan and Payton, etc. all have something that the Fox's and Schottenheimers and R666ves of the world don't have....BALLS.

McCoy is great at castration....

hades
01-12-2013, 08:46 PM

I agree 100%

I don't even remember now, but what was our field position when we punted? Were we close enough to try a FG if Manning completed a 5 yard dump and they stopped us short of a 1st down?

I just checked again, and I'm still pissed!

go_broncos
01-12-2013, 08:48 PM
We all know why Marty loses playoff games..When you play conservative, bad things will happen.

hades
01-12-2013, 08:57 PM
We all know why Marty loses playoff games..When you play conservative, bad things will happen.

Yup, I screamed all day not to do that, and what happens...

That One Guy
01-12-2013, 08:58 PM
There's that line in The Replacements where the coach says a winner wants the ball when the game's on the line. Well, in this game, that ball went to a rookie RB...

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
There's that line in The Replacements where the coach says a winner wants the ball when the game's on the line. Well, in this game, that ball went to a rookie RB...

Exactly.

Anyone remember Tebow's great comeback against Miami last year? Needing a 2-point conversion to tie the game, Tebow ran over to the sidelines and yelled at Fox & McCoy: "There's only one guy who's runnin' the ball...AND THAT'S ME!"

I have no doubt that if Tebow hadn't said this, Fox & Company would have called for some kind of lame pass.

Too bad Manning didn't call his own number like Tebow did last year.

spiralism
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Manning's claming he audibled into the play. No wonder he ****s himself in the playoffs

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Yup, Fox ran the Marty playbook ... all units in "prevent" mode.

Here's a happy thought: Did Holliday make this game closer than the score would indicate? Yeah, he probably did.

go_broncos
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
See how SF winning game against GB..That's how we should play..Never give chance to other team.

BroncoBen
01-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Yup, Fox ran the Marty playbook ... all units in "prevent" mode.

Here's a happy thought: Did Holliday make this game closer than the score would indicate? Yeah, he probably did.

Actually Holliday did his job today, Champ, Von, Moore all screwed the pooch .

Armchair Bronco
01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Manning's claming he audibled into the play. No wonder he ****s himself in the playoffs

If Manning really did say this, then it follows that:

A) Manning is lying to protect Fox; or

B) Manning is telling the truth, in which case both he *and* Fox need to be ashamed of themselves. Manning, for "passing the buck" to a rookie with the game on the line. And Fox, for not telling Manning ahead of time to get the damn first down.

Look, I'm sure Fox set the tempo and the expectations after the 2-minute warning. He and Manning had plenty of time to talk through countless scenarios. All he had to say was: "Hey Peyton, go out and win the game with a pass for a first down. Don't audible to a run, OK?"

anon
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
I didn't like it. I really didn't like it. But we still had a GREAT chance to win the game.

Baltimore needed a touchdown to TIE, not even to WIN, to TIE; there was very little time left, and they had no timeouts. All we had to do was play prevent defense, protect the sideline passes, and tackle well in the middle of the field. But we didn't even make them earn it.

In fact, the Ravens thrived on big plays/clutch plays all game. Time of possession heavily favored us and we still scored less.

I had more of a problem not being more aggressive before the first half ended and at the end of the game, when we had some time left and time outs to use.

wolf754life
01-12-2013, 11:17 PM
john fox is dead to me, mccoy too, del rio lost his ****ing mind

Armchair Bronco
01-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Let's step back to the 1997 Season. Anyone remember the "All Thunder" play against Pittsburgh, with Denver at its own 15 yard line and needing 6 yards for a first down (sounds familiar, doesn't it)?

Well, Elway made the throw, kept the drive alive, made 2 more first downs, and Denver went on to win the Super Bowl.

http://extras.denverpost.com/broncos/afc1.htm

===

"About as much as what the Broncos thought would happen Sunday when with two minutes left, with the ball at the Broncos' 15, the 61,382 at Three Rivers were screaming and hearts across Pennsylvania and Colorado were palpitating. With the Broncos needing 6 yards on third and the season, Elway screamed in the huddle, "All Thunder", a play in which each receiver is supposed to run a hitch route. Only Sharpe never heard him.

"As they broke the huddle, a confused Sharpe screamed back to Elway about what play he wanted run.

"Elway to Sharpe: 'Just go get open.'

"Sharpe to himself: 'Just go get open? OK.'

"Nothing more than the season and a Super Bowl berth depended on it. So Sharpe ran an 8-yard curl, beat Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon, looked up and watched the ball and the AFC's Super Bowl spot land right in his hands. With two more first downs in the final 1:46, the Broncos ran out the clock and the Steelers' season. All the thunder enlivening Three Rivers Stadium ceased. "

===

Pat Bowlen went on to say:

"That was certainly the biggest first down in the history of the franchise; that's for sure,'' said Bowlen, team owner for 14 years. "If we don't make that first down, we've got serious problems."

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 01:40 AM
Let's step back to the 1997 Season. Anyone remember the "All Thunder" play against Pittsburgh, with Denver at its own 15 yard line and needing 6 yards for a first down (sounds familiar, doesn't it)?

Well, Elway made the throw, kept the drive alive, made 2 more first downs, and Denver went on to win the Super Bowl.

http://extras.denverpost.com/broncos/afc1.htm

===

"About as much as what the Broncos thought would happen Sunday when with two minutes left, with the ball at the Broncos' 15, the 61,382 at Three Rivers were screaming and hearts across Pennsylvania and Colorado were palpitating. With the Broncos needing 6 yards on third and the season, Elway screamed in the huddle, "All Thunder", a play in which each receiver is supposed to run a hitch route. Only Sharpe never heard him.

"As they broke the huddle, a confused Sharpe screamed back to Elway about what play he wanted run.

"Elway to Sharpe: 'Just go get open.'

"Sharpe to himself: 'Just go get open? OK.'

"Nothing more than the season and a Super Bowl berth depended on it. So Sharpe ran an 8-yard curl, beat Steelers linebacker Jason Gildon, looked up and watched the ball and the AFC's Super Bowl spot land right in his hands. With two more first downs in the final 1:46, the Broncos ran out the clock and the Steelers' season. All the thunder enlivening Three Rivers Stadium ceased. "

===

Pat Bowlen went on to say:

"That was certainly the biggest first down in the history of the franchise; that's for sure,'' said Bowlen, team owner for 14 years. "If we don't make that first down, we've got serious problems."

I've got serious problems with certain aspects of Shanahan's coaching style but we would never have gone out the way we went out today with him at the helm. We just laid down and let them take it from us. **** John Fox with an acid-covered pineapple...

That One Guy
01-13-2013, 08:27 AM

I think it's quite sad to consider what the score might've been if not for those two returns. I'm also not sure if a blowout would've been more pathetic than seeing those two defenders getting beat deep with 30 seconds left...

winstoncup bronco
01-13-2013, 08:35 AM
I think it's quite sad to consider what the score might've been if not for those two returns. I'm also not sure if a blowout would've been more pathetic than seeing those two defenders getting beat deep with 30 seconds left...

Not that I love them, but blowouts are easier for me to accept. Last year, we got blown out in NE, you knew we were outclassed. The fact that we allowed about 5 once-in-a-lifetime plays last night makes it more difficult. We have all offseason to wonder "if only".

TonyR
01-13-2013, 08:39 AM

Agree. This was conservative, yes, but it was the high percentage play. This gave the Ravens a very, very low chance of winning. They only won because of that ridiculous, lucky Raheem Moore disaster of a play.

RhymesayersDU
01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Agree. This was conservative, yes, but it was the high percentage play. This gave the Ravens a very, very low chance of winning. They only won because of that ridiculous, lucky Raheem Moore disaster of a play.

Adam Shefter tweeted this:

According to ESPN Stats and Informationís win probability model, Denver had a 97.2 percent chance of winning right before Jacoby Jones' TD.

They had no timeouts, they needed 7 just to tie, we had the correct 3-deep defense going... the players just didn't execute.

Like I said, there are lots of things to be upset about. I just don't think running 40 seconds off the clock is one of them, personally. I think 99/100 coaches do that, and furthermore, 99/100 times the defense does it's job.

lolcopter
01-13-2013, 10:00 AM

So did dumbass Eric decker who couldn't catch a ball that hit him in the hands again (that went for a pick 6 after deflection)

That One Guy
01-13-2013, 10:01 AM

You're right that it's the high percentage but if percentages won football games, computers would make the best coaches. Is there a better deep ball squad than the Ravens? Smith didn't beat them but he and Flacco are probably one of the best combinations on the deep ball.

Of course, this criticism is made with hindsight and I'm not sure whether I trust Manning more with the ball after the way he gave it up.

winstoncup bronco
01-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Adam Shefter tweeted this:

Quote:
According to ESPN Stats and Informationís win probability model, Denver had a 97.2 percent chance of winning right before Jacoby Jones' TD.

They had no timeouts, they needed 7 just to tie, we had the correct 3-deep defense going... the players just didn't execute.

Like I said, there are lots of things to be upset about. I just don't think running 40 seconds off the clock is one of them, personally. I think 99/100 coaches do that, and furthermore, 99/100 times the defense does it's job.

Proof positive then that stats, models, percentages, etc. mean nothing. Ravens were torching us deep all game, so not sure why that would change in that situation. Even if we throw and get an incomplete to stop the clock, we still have them needing a TD with not much time left. At least TRY to win the game dammit.

TonyR
01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
So did dumbass Eric decker who couldn't catch a ball that hit him in the hands again (that went for a pick 6 after deflection)

He got majorly and clearly interfered with.

TonyR
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
You're right that it's the high percentage but if percentages won football games, computers would make the best coaches. Is there a better deep ball squad than the Ravens? Smith didn't beat them but he and Flacco are probably one of the best combinations on the deep ball.

Of course, this criticism is made with hindsight and I'm not sure whether I trust Manning more with the ball after the way he gave it up.

The offense wasn't playing well enough for me to have confidence in them converting with a pass play in that situation. A failure there gives the Ravens way too much time. You had to like our chances with the Ravens having no TOs and about 1:15 to go close to 80 yards. It only seems bad in hindsight because of that ridiculous play we gave up. I stick with thinking the run there was the right call.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-13-2013, 10:54 AM

It gave them "a chance". You never give a team a chance in a playoff game. Especially since they already did it once before halftime! You at least try for the 1st down. Regular season you call those runs. That is the difference between regular season coaching and playoff coaching. It's what separates the pack. I don't see Belichick calling that. Or McCarthy. Or coughlin.

Whoever called for that sequence of plays should get the axe IMO. The 3rd down run wasn't even designed to get the 1st down! This game damaged the organization for years. It was bigger than just a loss. The way it was lost I've never seen before

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-13-2013, 10:56 AM
The offense wasn't playing well enough for me to have confidence in them converting with a pass play in that situation. A failure there gives the Ravens way too much time. You had to like our chances with the Ravens having no TOs and about 1:15 to go close to 80 yards. It only seems bad in hindsight because of that ridiculous play we gave up. I stick with thinking the run there was the right call.

They had a long drive to make it 35 points just before this. A time consuming drive that picked up several 1st downs. It wasn't like they were getting multiple 3 and outs.

TonyR
01-13-2013, 10:57 AM
^ I understand that mindset, DB. But if you fail to convert there you've given them a much, much greater chance to win. I suppose there's no right or wrong here, more of a difference of opinion/approach.

wolf754life
01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
this was/is and ALWAYS Will be more than just a LOSS. It is a day of Infamy....never to be forgotten, never to be appeased, as much as the superbowls felt so good, this one feels so damn painful.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-13-2013, 11:02 AM
^ I understand that mindset, DB. But if you fail to convert there you've given them a much, much greater chance to win. I suppose there's no right or wrong here, more of a difference of opinion/approach.

I agree its difference in opinion on how people perceive it. I'd just rather give a team no chance than any chance. Put the destiny of a win in your own offensive hands than another teams. They converted those 3rd downs all year long. A play action would've been great considering ravens were looking run all the way. Conservative wins in the regular season. Not postseason.

Vine
01-13-2013, 11:06 AM

I don't think it's a much much greater chance to win. Yes, 40 extra seconds for Baltimore would help them somewhat, but when it was all said and done, they didn't need 40 seconds anyway.

Bottom line: Play to win the game, instead of playing not to lose.

manchambo
01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
I think it was a reasonable call. It allowed us to run the clock down to the point where it would take a colossal, unheard of blunder to lose the game. And we came up with a colossal, unheard of blunder. The call was perfectly defensible.

Not trying to win the game in regulation, running on 3rd and 5. Those are indefensible.

TonyR
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't think it's a much much greater chance to win. Yes, 40 extra seconds for Baltimore would help them somewhat, but when it was all said and done, they didn't need 40 seconds anyway.

40 extra seconds is HUGE, particularly for a team with no time outs.

troya900
01-13-2013, 11:27 AM

It was a Fox chicken**** call plain and simple. Besides Peyton didnt HAVE to throw the ball. He could have seen if someone was open if not slide down and let even more time run off then just a dive up the middle with a 180 lb back. Seriously three straight dives up the middle. They could have gotten creative without resorting to throwing an incomplete pass. But remember this is fckface fox we are talking about..he's an old ball-less POS that doesnt have a creative bone in his body.

Vine
01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
40 extra seconds is HUGE, particularly for a team with no time outs.

Well I can see this point, and I am almost in the middle. I don't think I would run it up the gut all three plays though. Use some imagination, and perhaps try a screen pass, or some other safe short pass. Or, maybe on the 3rd down, call a pass, and if no one is open, then instruct Manning to give up a sack.

As I said, I am almost in the middle on that 3rd and 7, but I am clearly pissed off about some of the other decision making/play calling at other times during the game.

manchambo
01-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Well I can see this point, and I am almost in the middle. I don't think I would run it up the gut all three plays though. Use some imagination, and perhaps try a screen pass, or some other safe short pass. Or, maybe on the 3rd down, call a pass, and if no one is open, then instruct Manning to give up a sack.

As I said, I am almost in the middle on that 3rd and 7, but I am clearly pissed off about some of the other decision making/play calling at other times during the game.

Or maybe just get a bit more creative with the run. Has Fox ever heard of a pitch?

go_broncos
01-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Well..Fox was happy we are one of Elite 8.
Who the **** uses those words?
Seems to be satisfied with going to divisional playoffs

mopatt24
01-13-2013, 11:47 AM
It was a ****ed up call to make. I blame Fox for the last 30 seconds with 2 timeouts left, to take a knee. That 3rd and 7 run call, had McCoy written all over it. We've been seeing that s**t since he got here with McD. Truth is, we haven't had an effective run game since Shanny left. The power run has not worked and will not work with this line. With Mike McCoy gone, this offense will be much better next year.

Quick note though, Ronnie Hillman played his ass off yesterday

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Exactly. You don't have to pass if no one is open! The worst part is not even knowing cause they didnt even try. It's giving up plain and simple. Get 7 yards on your own and you win the game yourself. No chance of the other team winning. Give the ball up to take off 40 seconds and it still gives the other team a chance. Never give a playoff team a chance. It was a judgement call and it turned out to be the wrong one. I don't have confidence in fox anymore. I tolerated the conservative approach the entire time he's been here. But it just cost them an opportunity to put away the game. Even if it was incomplete or even a long int(the punt was HORRIBLE) at least they would've tried. Bowing down was lame. This isn't forgiveable IMO.

Hulamau
01-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Terrible odds with that strategy when the Ravens had connected on four big pass plays already and a couple for scores.

MUCH better odds to give a HOF QB with the game on the line the instructions to go get two first downs WHAT EVER IT TAKES and let him do the rest. That is why he is getting 90million contract compared to a lot less for Foxy or McCoy.

Was a terrible costly BS call by Fox.

RhymesayersDU
01-13-2013, 03:54 PM
I think it was a reasonable call. It allowed us to run the clock down to the point where it would take a colossal, unheard of blunder to lose the game. And we came up with a colossal, unheard of blunder. The call was perfectly defensible.

Not trying to win the game in regulation, running on 3rd and 5. Those are indefensible.

Agree completely. 99/100 times, we walk away winners. I'm not trying to be a John Fox apologist, because your second point about taking the knee, running on 3rd and 5, etc, those deserve scrutiny. But yeah, I think running 40 seconds off the clock was reasonable.

footstepsfrom#27
01-13-2013, 05:56 PM
It was the game's key play IMO.

Punisher
01-13-2013, 06:10 PM
It's a play "not to lose" thing. When you need to play to win.

pricejj
01-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Manning admitted to calling an audible on 3rd and 7 in the postgame presser.

Armchair Bronco
01-14-2013, 12:06 AM

Doesn't matter, and still not sure if I believe Manning. That play happened *AFTER* the 2 minute warning.

Any coach worthy of moving on in the playoffs would have told his $90 million man to throw the damn ball.

What Fox should have said: "Look, Peyton. I know you like to call audibles, but it's 3rd and 7 and we need a first down to ice the game. I don't want you calling an audible for a run up the gut this time. It hasn't worked the last two plays, so it probably won't get us more than a couple of yards [NOTE: it actually netted ZERO yards]. We need a high-percentage pass, ideally to one of the Tight Ends. If no one is open, fine...But just make sure SOMEONE gets open! Our season depends on it!"

If Manning really did call an audible, then shame on him. Shame on Fox for not setting the stage during the 2-minute warning timeout. And shame on Manning for being a p***Y and letting the season come down to a no-gainer on a handoff to a rookie RB.

Michael Jordan would have taken the shot, and Phil Jackson would have told Jordan to take the shot. And even if Jackson told Jordan to pass to Pippen or Rodman, guess what? Jordan would have taken the shot anyway...and won the damn game!

go_broncos
01-14-2013, 05:05 AM
Doesn't matter, and still not sure if I believe Manning. That play happened *AFTER* the 2 minute warning.

Any coach worthy of moving on in the playoffs would have told his $90 million man to throw the damn ball.

What Fox should have said: "Look, Peyton. I know you like to call audibles, but it's 3rd and 7 and we need a first down to ice the game. I don't want you calling an audible for a run up the gut this time. It hasn't worked the last two plays, so it probably won't get us more than a couple of yards [NOTE: it actually netted ZERO yards]. We need a high-percentage pass, ideally to one of the Tight Ends. If no one is open, fine...But just make sure SOMEONE gets open! Our season depends on it!"

If Manning really did call an audible, then shame on him. Shame on Fox for not setting the stage during the 2-minute warning timeout. And shame on Manning for being a p***Y and letting the season come down to a no-gainer on a handoff to a rookie RB.

Michael Jordan would have taken the shot, and Phil Jackson would have told Jordan to take the shot. And even if Jackson told Jordan to pass to Pippen or Rodman, guess what? Jordan would have taken the shot anyway...and won the damn game!

Please don't compare Jordon to Manning and Jackson with Fox pussy.
There is a reason why manning only one SB(that too due to defense) and fox never won.

BroncoBeavis
01-14-2013, 05:24 AM

I don't even give a **** about that one play. That was just the cherry on top. IAOFM referenced the fact that we had 10 plays of 2 yards or less to gain. We ran the ball every time. 10 out of 10 times. 2nd down. 3rd down. Didn't matter. This has the stench of McCoy predictable-taint all over it. He's completely unaware of the fact that 75% of why plays work in the NFL is because the defense isn't sure what's coming. Except with McDumbass II they are.

BroncoInferno
01-14-2013, 06:37 AM
Eh, what if the ball is incomplete? Now the Ravens are getting the ball back with 40 additional seconds to work with. That's an easy call to bash, but the D was in a good position with 1:15 left and the Ravens needing a TD. If Moore doesn't go full retard and take the worst angle in NFL history, were probably all in better moods today. Oh, and I'm not going to let the refs off the hook, either. Yes, we should have won anyway, but if the refs do there job with even mediocre competence then the Ravens aren't in position to win at the end at all. The pass interference no-call on the pick six was especially costly, egregious, and unforgivable. That was not a bang-bang deal that was easy to miss....it was clear, blatant, and they missed it. That cost us the game more than running on that 3rd down, something I suspect most coaches would have done. Of course, that was just one of several freebies the refs handed them.

CEH
01-14-2013, 06:45 AM
I don't even give a **** about that one play. That was just the cherry on top. IAOFM referenced the fact that we had 10 plays of 2 yards or less to gain. We ran the ball every time. 10 out of 10 times. 2nd down. 3rd down. Didn't matter. This has the stench of McCoy predictable-taint all over it. He's completely unaware of the fact that 75% of why plays work in the NFL is because the defense isn't sure what's coming. Except with McDumbass II they are.

I said this before. The Broncos cannot convert on 3rd and short with any predictablity (based on talent) so you have to run on 2nd and short to make sure you keep the drive alive. Keeping the drive alive has to be more important than taking a shot for a chunk play

This is one area Denver needs to improve dramactically next year because you are correct 2nd and short should be a throw away down and take a shot

with that said needing just FG to win and about 20 yards to get to FG range

The first series in OT. 2nd and 2 from Denver's 38 and they run it up the middle for 1 yard and Hester on 3rd down for zero yards and then the punt

WTF was that. Manning can audible correct? Not sure who's fault but it was a crappy play call

Gutless Drunk
01-14-2013, 03:52 PM

Fox just said Manning got this play confused with the 3rd & 5 audible to Hester earlier.
Fox said on the 3rd & 7 it was his call all the way - no audible.

edog24
01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Fox just said Manning got this play confused with the 3rd & 5 audible to Hester earlier.

Audible to Hester. If I ever hear those words again associated with this team I will barf. Why does that play even exist? It might as well be in the package with QB kneel?

Armchair Bronco
01-14-2013, 04:22 PM

Nice! Now these clowns are covering for each other. Before long, Elway will chime in and say that he, in his capacity as Executive Vice President, gave a secret, previously agreed upon hand-signal to Fox that meant "Run Hillman up the middle on 3rd and 7...OR ELSE!"

:facepalm:

(Taco John, this site really, REALLY need a facepalm smiley for times like this. Help us out, man! :thumbs: )

Gutless Drunk
01-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice! Now these clowns are covering for each other. Before long, Elway will chime in and say that he, in his capacity as Executive Vice President, gave a secret, previously agreed upon hand-signal to Fox that meant "Run Hillman up the middle on 3rd and 7...OR ELSE!"

:facepalm:

(Taco John, this site really, REALLY need a facepalm smiley for times like this. Help us out, man! :thumbs: )

Re watch the play. They came out in a run formation and hiked it quickly. Don't think there is a conspiracy here.

here is the link for the Fox interview:
http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/thedrive/Story.aspx?ID=1862345