PDA

View Full Version : Silver Lining: Franchise is in the best possible hands

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 07:56 PM
This is not like other early exits ... where we dread yet another Shanahan too-cute reach in Round One ... this time optimism is the only logical mindset.

I used to think Brock Osweiler was a world-class Richard Quinn-like debacle of a wasted draft pick. But since then I've noticed the guy who made the pick can do no wrong.

The most important person in the organization - hasn't made a single mistake on the job, every decision has been the right one. He's the one MOST responsible for getting us here, and LEAST responsible for this loss. I never thought I could say this, but he's an even better GM than he was a QB ... and I think I might just buy an Osweiler jersey to show my support for John. Not even joking.

http://www.footballradioshow.com/wp-content/uploads/elway.jpg

broncogary
01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
Is this thread a test?

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Started that way, but the grades are in and Mr. Elway scored 100%.

ThirtyDegrees
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Elway hired an idiot head coach.

He also signed a QB who was incapable of throwing the ball more than 15 yards today.

You're pathetic.

Edit: Oh, and also, you defended Shanahan for years too, so please shut up.

swaiy
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM
They need to draft a goddamn runningback that can carry the load, isn't a reach in the draft, and/or doesn't make me cringe every time they get up. They also need someone as big as Hester that doesn't need extra linemen to get half a yard.

go_broncos
01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
We will be in trouble if Manning doesn't come..I know manning sucks in playoffs.
Atleast we will be in playoffs..

swaiy
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Elway hired an idiot head coach.

He also signed a QB who was incapable of throwing the ball more than 15 yards today.

You're pathetic.

Edit: Oh, and also, you defended Shanahan for years too, so please shut up.

Does that mean that this account you're posting from is an alternate? Shanahan has been a while now...

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
You're pathetic. Edit: Oh, and also, you defended Shanahan for years too, so please shut up.

That's nice ... taking personal shots like that, I don't even know who you are. And I never defending Shanahan's indefensible drafts.

Let me guess, you made a quick trip to Blueflame's Witness Protection Program thread, and now with a new username suddenly people are treating you better, right? So you grow a pair and throw crap insults like that ... niiiice.

Drek
01-12-2013, 08:19 PM
1. If he'd gotten us a real MLB instead of giving Mays $4M to **** up until he got hurt this defense would have been significantly better off.

2. If he had signed better OL depth maybe we aren't forced into playing a gimpy Chris Kuper against one of the more powerful DLs in the league?

3. Maybe better safety depth than Adams and Leonard could have kept Rahim Moore off the field for plays that were clearly too big for him.

4. I'd like to think that a great GM would have explained to his head coach many moons ago that he's got Peyton Manning at QB instead of Tim Tebow because we didn't want to end close games with three runs and a punt as legitimate play call "variation".

5. Tim Tebow is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Dumping him instead of finding a way for him to co-exist with Manning is a failure of management, especially on a team that is relatively limited in terms of dynamic playmakers in running situations. Tim Tebow in the backfield instead of Ball and Hester sure would have looked good tonight.

6. Moreno as the straw that stirs the drink - pretty clear that the offense kicked into a next gear when Moreno replaced McGahee. Manning gained a valuable receiver who was a solid runner and did good work in pass pro. So falling back to draft Wolfe (who got soundly outplayed by Robert Ayers tonight) instead of getting another versatile RB to open the season with (say Doug Martin) might not have worked out real well.

7. Couldn't cover TEs over the middle. *****on and Pitta ate our lunch. Was this surprising? No, because we've had this happen with every solid or better TE we've faced for about half a decade now. You know what stops that? Good coverage linebackers. Lavonte David is a pretty good coverage LB, we passed on him to take Brosweiler.

8. We're playing with second rate DTs on what's supposed to be a dominant front seven. That does not compute. Why? Because we've low balled good DTs each of the last two off-seasons, only to watch them sign rather reasonable deals elsewhere (Soliai last year, Mebane the year before that).

Just a few quibbles I have with his decision making off the top of my head. Really, other than not ****ing up the #2 overall pick, talking Peyton Manning into signing with Denver, and having his staff (mostly McDaniels hold overs) stumble upon Chris Harris what mastermind strategy has he performed?

We need to answer holes at C, MLB, CB, RB, and #3WR at a minimum for next season, not to mention more DL depth. Here's his chance to prove some greatness. Make the moves needed this off-season to win something meaningful this time next year. Until then I'll withhold my adulation.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Now that's a well-reasoned criticism, to say the least! (read that post over and over thurdydegrees or whatever your name is.)

I like our O-line depth okay, John can't go back and do the right thing - draft Max Unger instead of Alphonso Smith. Or Darcel McBath. And yes, many of us including me begged stupid Josh to draft Unger.

I agree this roster cries out for a big strong safety, but at least today Brookings made a big play. Not a MLB fix by any means, but at least MLB didn't lose the game. Drek, I think this game was lost on two or three plays by Champ .. hard to plan for that.

KipCorrington25
01-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Silver lining, better draft pick!

I'm being sarcastic by the way.

Rohirrim
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Unfortunately, this game just proves that the Broncos have so many holes that by the time they are fixed, Peyton Manning will be long gone.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:42 PM
I will be looking for explanations why dink-and-dunk took over in the 2nd half ... better be good.

Roh, too many holes? Not sure where ... on offense C, defense DT, MLB and SS. We'll franchise Clady, leaving Vickerson and maybe one or two others to sign.

And we're way under the cap, meaning a hole or three should be filled.

DenverBrit
01-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Pressure on Manning.

TheReverend
01-12-2013, 08:49 PM
lol

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Out loud, really ... what, you have a beef with John?

broncobum6162
01-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I will be looking for explanations why dink-and-dunk took over in the 2nd half ... better be good.

Roh, too many holes? Not sure where ... on offense C, defense DT, MLB and SS. We'll franchise Clady, leaving Vickerson and maybe one or two others to sign.

Long as McCoys arse is here expect more of the same. He sux....

TonyR
01-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Out loud, really ... what, you have a beef with John?

No, he's just trying to cover for the fact that he was saying all week how we'd win this easily and he wasn't worried.

TonyR
01-12-2013, 09:38 PM
For me the silver lining is not having to watch us lose to the Patriots next week. That was going to suck. So there's that.

TheReverend
01-12-2013, 09:40 PM
No, he's just trying to cover for the fact that he was saying all week how we'd win this easily and he wasn't worried.

As they should have... Cover for what? Cover for double digit favorites ****ting down their leg when it mattered?

Rohirrim
01-12-2013, 09:44 PM

After today, I'd add CB in there as well. Guard? Guards? Given that it took us three downs to get a yard. RB(since KM is totally unreliable) and Hillman can't figure out that, in the NFL, RBs break the first tackle. Slot receiver?

TonyR
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
As they should have... Cover for what? Cover for double digit favorites ****ting down their leg when it mattered?

Yeah, sorry, didn't really intend to single you out. Almost everybody was way overconfident. Brutal loss.

maher_tyler
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
1. If he'd gotten us a real MLB instead of giving Mays $4M to **** up until he got hurt this defense would have been significantly better off.

2. If he had signed better OL depth maybe we aren't forced into playing a gimpy Chris Kuper against one of the more powerful DLs in the league?

3. Maybe better safety depth than Adams and Leonard could have kept Rahim Moore off the field for plays that were clearly too big for him.

4. I'd like to think that a great GM would have explained to his head coach many moons ago that he's got Peyton Manning at QB instead of Tim Tebow because we didn't want to end close games with three runs and a punt as legitimate play call "variation".

5. Tim Tebow is a dynamic player with the ball in his hands. Dumping him instead of finding a way for him to co-exist with Manning is a failure of management, especially on a team that is relatively limited in terms of dynamic playmakers in running situations. Tim Tebow in the backfield instead of Ball and Hester sure would have looked good tonight.

6. Moreno as the straw that stirs the drink - pretty clear that the offense kicked into a next gear when Moreno replaced McGahee. Manning gained a valuable receiver who was a solid runner and did good work in pass pro. So falling back to draft Wolfe (who got soundly outplayed by Robert Ayers tonight) instead of getting another versatile RB to open the season with (say Doug Martin) might not have worked out real well.

7. Couldn't cover TEs over the middle. *****on and Pitta ate our lunch. Was this surprising? No, because we've had this happen with every solid or better TE we've faced for about half a decade now. You know what stops that? Good coverage linebackers. Lavonte David is a pretty good coverage LB, we passed on him to take Brosweiler.

8. We're playing with second rate DTs on what's supposed to be a dominant front seven. That does not compute. Why? Because we've low balled good DTs each of the last two off-seasons, only to watch them sign rather reasonable deals elsewhere (Soliai last year, Mebane the year before that).

Just a few quibbles I have with his decision making off the top of my head. Really, other than not ****ing up the #2 overall pick, talking Peyton Manning into signing with Denver, and having his staff (mostly McDaniels hold overs) stumble upon Chris Harris what mastermind strategy has he performed?

We need to answer holes at C, MLB, CB, RB, and #3WR at a minimum for next season, not to mention more DL depth. Here's his chance to prove some greatness. Make the moves needed this off-season to win something meaningful this time next year. Until then I'll withhold my adulation.

Signing Mays was the biggest head scratcher for me. The guy is a Special Teams guy and that's it. He shouldn't even be the back up MLB, he's that bad.
If no one signs McCoy I hope he gets fired. No idea what any of these teams see in the guy. Tired of the conservative play calling in crunch time. Not even a play action...3 straight runs.

We need to keep in mind that this time 2 years ago we were coming off the worst season in Broncos history. Can't fix everything at once.

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Elway hired Fox so this thread is ****. Period.

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah, sorry, didn't really intend to single you out. Almost everybody was way overconfident. Brutal loss.

Everybody was saying the only way they lose this game is if they **** the bed. Well they dropped a giant steamer right in the middle of the mattress...

Al Wilson
01-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Anyone who puts any sort of blame towards Elway needs to shut the **** up and be banned from this website. You ****ing retards need to remember what a mess McDouchebag put this franchise in. Elway in 2 years made this team a top 5 franchise in the league. His drafts and free agent signings have been money. Every fan is pissed that we lost this game, but at the end of the day only 1 team wins it all. This franchise will be one of the best for a long time as long as Elway is in charge. He knows what he is doing. If you ain't down with that then get the **** out of here douchebags.

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 12:33 AM
Anyone who puts any sort of blame towards Elway needs to shut the **** up and be banned from this website. You ****ing retards need to remember what a mess McDouchebag put this franchise in. Elway in 2 years made this team a top 5 franchise in the league. His drafts and free agent signings have been money. Every fan is pissed that we lost this game, but at the end of the day only 1 team wins it all. This franchise will be one of the best for a long time as long as Elway is in charge. He knows what he is doing. If you ain't down with that then get the **** out of here douchebags.

He also hired John Fox to not lose as many games as possible. Awesome move Elway!!! /sarcasm

anon
01-13-2013, 01:14 AM
Let's see how well we do in the playoffs in the coming years. I think Elway has done a good job so far in the short time he has been in charge. But look at San Diego with all their regular season success and playoff futility -- is that really good enough for you?

Atwater His Ass
01-13-2013, 01:22 AM
As far as the Tebow thing, no matter how good of a playmaker he is, you just cannot have him on your team if he's not the starting QB. The pressure and media is too much and it will rip your team apart. How much in any season besides this one did the media spend so much time talking about a 3rd string QB? It's ridiculous.

I loved Tebow and wanted him to stay. I really bought into that Elway could help groom him, get behind him, and make him successful. But once Elway decided Tim wasn't in his plans as a starting QB, he did the right thing to ship him off.

Elway has done a great job. If you're looking for a scapegoat on the staff, look no further than Fox or McCoy. This game was won but for their bumbling at the end of the game.

Agamemnon
01-13-2013, 01:32 AM
Elway has done a great job. If you're looking for a scapegoat on the staff, look no further than Fox or McCoy. This game was won but for their bumbling at the end of the game.

All well and good except that Elway hired Fox knowing the kind of conservative moron he was. Elway suffered for years under the same **** with Reeves, and somehow thought it was a good idea to hire the same type of coach in this pass-heavy era? It was a massive mistake. Period.

Drek
01-13-2013, 05:27 AM
Now that's a well-reasoned criticism, to say the least! (read that post over and over thurdydegrees or whatever your name is.)

I like our O-line depth okay, John can't go back and do the right thing - draft Max Unger instead of Alphonso Smith. Or Darcel McBath. And yes, many of us including me begged stupid Josh to draft Unger.
Man, that dog don't hunt no more, quit trying to drag his ass off the porch.

Elway has had two years to upgrade the OL. His two predecessors gave him two starters each, he drafted one, and he made one good stop gap signing. That's not enough. A 4th on 26 year old Phil Blake who isn't good enough to dress is a problem. Not signing a modern day version of Russ Hochstein to be a swing guard and instead living with the mediocrity we've dredged up off the waiver wire and UDFA list is a problem. That is also John's problem. He's the guy who chose to overload strongside DE despite Ayers having his best season to that point in 2011 instead of drafting any of the many very solid OL candidates who fell in our range. A trade up for DeCastro or just sitting at home with pick #25 and taking Zeitler changes the complexion of this team completely, making Beadles your swing guard for when Kuper gets hurt instead of Ramirez.

I agree this roster cries out for a big strong safety, but at least today Brookings made a big play. Not a MLB fix by any means, but at least MLB didn't lose the game. Drek, I think this game was lost on two or three plays by Champ .. hard to plan for that.
Could have had a big time strong safety in the draft too. 6'2", 214 pound Harrison Smith out of Notre Dame only had 103 tackles, a sack, and three picks (two returned for TDs) for the 10-6 Vikings his rookie year, when most safeties (like Moore) are absolutely lost.

Again, this isn't beating up on Wolfe, it's pointing out that failing to sign DTs and then using our first pick on a DE/DT 'tweener to ameliorate that problem is failure of asset distribution.

As for MLB - we had Miller actually lining up over TEs and dropping into coverage because the rest of our LBs and safeties were getting so soundly trounced by *****on and Pitta on short to intermediate routes. You really think if we had a LB who could keep with them it wouldn't have significantly changed the complexion of the game? Those two guys bailed Flacco out on 3rd down more than anyone else and are why the Ravens could even afford to risk deep bombs to Smith and Jones. If we had shut down their TEs, who are in no way exceptional players, we win that game going away with a hell of a lot of 3 and outs.

Hell, after seeing what *****on and Pitta could do to us maybe it was a mercy killing because this team clearly has no answer for Gronkowski and Hernandez. They might have combined for three bills and four TDs on this defense.

As far as the Tebow thing, no matter how good of a playmaker he is, you just cannot have him on your team if he's not the starting QB. The pressure and media is too much and it will rip your team apart. How much in any season besides this one did the media spend so much time talking about a 3rd string QB? It's ridiculous.

Its only ridiculous if you acknowledge it. A team with Peyton Manning at QB and John Elway calling the shots would be so far above reproach at the QB decision making position that no one would dare second guess.

No one would ask "when is Tebow gonna play?" because everyone knows the answer is "maybe after Manning is done, not a minute before".

Even if you didn't think Tebow was your QBOTF he'd be a quality stop gap in a few years, meanwhile you can use him as the short yardage/red zone kryptonite to opposing defenses that he is.

That also would have let us save our 2nd round pick for a real upgrade. I already mentioned Lavonte David as one possibility. You know who else would have helped us? Rueben Randle, taken by the Giants right behind David. He didn't see the field a ton this year but had some worthwhile games with limited opportunities. He's the 4th WR this team was missing yesterday that would have made our spread sets too much to defend.

The guys we could have used more this year than Brock Osweiler just goes on and on. This isn't a critique against Osweiler either, it's entirely at Elway. You bet the house on bringing in a 36 year old Peyton Manning but then go pay the premiums on the insurance before hand as well? Let the chips fall where they may before you start spending valuable resources on future planning.