PDA

View Full Version : Dink and Dunk

Popps
01-12-2013, 06:45 PM
So, there's clearly a laundry list of things we could complain about. I'll just question one...

So, D. Thomas completely out of the game plan, no deep throws and an extremely conservative game plan. (Including two 3rd downs that could have possibly sealed a win or pushed us towards a win where manning wasn't allowed to throw.)

Manning checks in and out of what he wants, right? So, was the look of the offense on Manning, or Fox and McCoy?

We looked like a different offense today. Very little hurry up, very conservative and not much spark.

What's the explanation?

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Scared coaches. Even Manning was audibling into conservative plays.

hades
01-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I'm confused too. I thought we shoulda ran a quicker version of the hurry up offense. Seemed to try and run the clock out with 10 minutes left in the Qtr, instead of line up and GO GO GO.

swaiy
01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
They should have went no huddle because the Ravens were gassed even when they didn't. The offense didn't even look like it did in regular season. Seems like they were overthinking in the preparation phase of the gameplan. Such a sad loss. This team did not execute well.

I don't even have the energy to be sad. Such a wild and crazy game. I will pray that I never have to listen to Dierdorf commentate another Broncos game. He was completely biased at times.

strafen
01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
I think the broncos coaches were trying "not to show too much" for the anticipated game against New England next week.
Fox was trying to be a genious

24champ
01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
We went conservative because our pass blocking was subpar. Once Moreno went out, everything went to hell. Manning had three turnovers, 2 of which were caused because he was under pressure. Our line did not have it's best day, like everyone else on the team.

rbackfactory80
01-12-2013, 07:01 PM
Truth is you have to air it out occasionally just to loosen up the D. The Ravens dictated the terms.

Popps
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
We went conservative because our pass blocking was subpar. Once Moreno went out, everything went to hell. Manning had three turnovers, 2 of which were caused because he was under pressure. Our line did not have it's best day, like everyone else on the team.

Who would have thought it, huh?

But you're right, we couldn't protect very well after that. Still, it seemed when we hurried things up it was working. Then, we'd pull back again.

I don't know, but those two 3rd down calls killed me. One was a 3rd and 1, so usually you'd run there. But how about letting Manning take a shot... just once instead of getting stuffed?

Also, the D has let you down most of the game... why choose to put the game back in their hands at the end?

Why not let Manning throw on 3rd and 7 with 2 minutes left. Don't we have 50 plays that can pick up 7?

Cito Pelon
01-12-2013, 07:10 PM
The OT's were getting collapsed pretty good. Manning even when he had time wasn't trying throws downfield. There was no stretching the field today, all dink and dunk. The All-Pro's got outplayed.

Cito Pelon
01-12-2013, 07:13 PM

But you're right, we couldn't protect very well after that. Still, it seemed when we hurried things up it was working. Then, we'd pull back again.

I don't know, but those two 3rd down calls killed me. One was a 3rd and 1, so usually you'd run there. But how about letting Manning take a shot... just once instead of getting stuffed?

Also, the D has let you down most of the game... why choose to put the game back in their hands at the end?

Why not let Manning throw on 3rd and 7 with 2 minutes left. Don't we have 50 plays that can pick up 7?

I couldn't figure out the strategy on those 3rd downs either. You, me, and everybody else I know.

24champ
01-12-2013, 07:16 PM

I'm assuming that the staff assumed the defense would hold up in the final minute. The Ravens were also out of time outs. In the end, a lot of things went wrong and it's back to the drawing board for Elway and co.

hades
01-12-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm assuming that the staff assumed the defense would hold up in the final minute. The Ravens were also out of time outs. In the end, a lot of things went wrong and it's back to the drawing board for Elway and co.

Plan B is in effect.

bpc
01-12-2013, 07:20 PM
We went out like the 98' Vikings. Played loose and savy heading into the playoffs then nutted up. Why have a Peyton Manning at QB if you are going to run it predictably every 3rd and 1? In the reg. we call a pass play, convert and go take the game.

Rohirrim
01-12-2013, 07:25 PM
So, there's clearly a laundry list of things we could complain about. I'll just question one...

So, D. Thomas completely out of the game plan, no deep throws and an extremely conservative game plan. (Including two 3rd downs that could have possibly sealed a win or pushed us towards a win where manning wasn't allowed to throw.)

Manning checks in and out of what he wants, right? So, was the look of the offense on Manning, or Fox and McCoy?

We looked like a different offense today. Very little hurry up, very conservative and not much spark.

What's the explanation?

No Moreno. No McGahee. Ravens weren't afraid of Hillman (youngest rookie in the NFL), who couldn't break a tackle to save his life. Didn't care about the play action. All day they gave up the short crossing routes and took away the deep stuff. Their secondary actually showed up (I know, it's weird). They doubled up on DT. They were the better team. They showed up to play. Many on the Broncos, including Manning and Champ Bailey, choked. I'm hoping to find out that everybody had the flu. That's the only thing I can think of to explain this kind of gutless performance. Of course, if they were all sick, it would be a pretty gutsy performance, in that cold.

Popps
01-12-2013, 07:32 PM

Yea, I'm just thinking... 3rd and 7... you throw the ball, Manning has a chance to win the game, right there. Or, if it doesn't work... you give them 30 more seconds or something.

If the D is going to hold... why couldn't they have held with 30 more seconds left on the clock?

I mean, we're playing with a lead.. at home... 90 mil QB... why not go for the kill?

I've supported some of Fox's conservative calls but today was just too much, and then oddly.. his 52 yard FG attempt backfires on him. Just not a good day for the guy.

24champ
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Ironically we probably win the game if Fox/McCoy went conservative at the end of the first half instead of kicking a 52 yard field goal in 10 degree weather.

Rohirrim
01-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Meanwhile, Niners fans are going, "Alex who?"

24champ
01-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Yea, I'm just thinking... 3rd and 7... you throw the ball, Manning has a chance to win the game, right there. Or, if it doesn't work... you give them 30 more seconds or something.

If the D is going to hold... why couldn't they have held with 30 more seconds left on the clock?

I mean, we're playing with a lead.. at home... 90 mil QB... why not go for the kill?

I've supported some of Fox's conservative calls but today was just too much, and then oddly.. his 52 yard FG attempt backfires on him. Just not a good day for the guy.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Your giving Flacco a minute and 10 seconds, whatever it was, to go down the field. Logically that makes sense, as opposed to having Flacco have a little under 2 minutes to go to operate a drive to tie it up. With a little over a minute to go, it shrinks their playbook since they need certain plays to get down the field in crunch time.

Look, there's a laundry list of things that went wrong in this game, as you said and the 3rd and 7 play call is certainly one of them.

Its a tough pill to swallow for everyone in the organization but we'll be back in the hunt next season.

Rohirrim
01-12-2013, 07:47 PM

I don't remember ever hearing that Fox did any of the play calling this year. It seemed to me that it was all McCoy and Manning. Who knows? Maybe Manning made that call?

ghwk
01-12-2013, 07:55 PM

So, D. Thomas completely out of the game plan, no deep throws and an extremely conservative game plan. (Including two 3rd downs that could have possibly sealed a win or pushed us towards a win where manning wasn't allowed in and out of what he wants, right? So, was the look of the offense on Manning, or Fox and McCoy?

What's the explanation?

I gotta 2nd this. One thing Elway had over Manning was the deep ball. We needed that especially when Moerno went down to give DT some opportunities.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
We played all aspects of the game like "prevent defense" ... as usual, it "prevented" a victory.

And Flacco was better than he had any right to be ... the pass to Jones was just like Mark Brunell to Jimmy Smith in '96 ... best plays of their lives.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-12-2013, 07:58 PM
They didn't throw deep because the Ravens had both safeties deep on just about every play. They weren't going to let them go downfield.

DaFace
01-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I was watching the game with my in-laws, and I just couldn't believe how conservative the entire game was. When the Broncos played the Chiefs, I was listening on the radio, and it seemed like every damn play was "Peyton Manning completion for 15-25 yards."

Today, I'm not sure they even attempted a pass over 15 years. What the hell was that?

broncogary
01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
They didn't throw deep because the Ravens had both safeties deep on just about every play. They weren't going to let them go downfield.

Pollard can't cover deep even when he's deep.

Hamrob
01-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Pollard can't cover deep even when he's deep.Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller

Wow! If it was that easy...then maybe we should have done the same.

The Ravens had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL all year long! And, we didn't even try one down the field. Please...take that BS somewhere else!

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Meanwhile, Niners fans are going, "Alex who?"

I guess Kaepernik didn't fold up under the big lights after all .... what a performance.

yerner
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
I thought losing Moreno is pass protection really hurt.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller

Wow! If it was that easy...then maybe we should have done the same.

The Ravens had one of the worst secondaries in the NFL all year long! And, we didn't even try one down the field. Please...take that BS somewhere else!

Sorry, I apologize for stating what everyone who was at the game saw first hand. There was nothing open downfield even when they had someone running a deeper route.

But keep telling me what I didn't see