PDA

View Full Version : Worst loss in Denver sports history

spdirty
01-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Its worse than Jacksonville. Jacksonville pretty much just beat us from the 2nd quarter on. There were maybe 5 Michael Dean Perrys today.

The interception, Fox doing his Marty impersonation and Rahim the Dream's foolishness are unforgivable.

I'd rather have a 6-10 year than get my heart ripped out like this. I'd rather go to New England and get punked 52-3 than this. So depressed.

mj1569
01-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Have to disgree with you. The loss back in 97 to Jacksonville hurt much worse. Denver was the best team in football that year to be schoold by the upstart Jags hurt. Denver will rebound and Peyton has a couple of more years left.

Rolandftw
01-12-2013, 07:13 PM
They're basically about the same. We lost to the lesser team today. Got to fall on the coaches, QB, defense, etc.

winstoncup bronco
01-12-2013, 07:14 PM
This is worse because this team was put together to win NOW. How many more chances does Manning have left?

fwf
01-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Im in. We were beat by an inferior team. And it wasn't just a bad performance, but a perfect storm of ineptitude. The coach, refs, kicker, weather ... It all came together to give us a good anal raping.

Wes Mantooth
01-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Never winning an SB before and loosing when we were a lock and had home field far outweighs this.

Loosing Superbowl's hurt way more than this.

Get a grip.

Breck Bronc
01-12-2013, 07:34 PM
This loss doesn't compare to Jacksonville 1996. We hadn't won a Super Bowl at that point and everyone thought it would never happen after losing to the Jaguars.

This loss hurts, hurts a lot, but it's not the worst loss in Denver sports history.

dsmoot
01-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Its worse than Jacksonville. Jacksonville pretty much just beat us from the 2nd quarter on. There were maybe 5 Michael Dean Perrys today.

The interception, Fox doing his Marty impersonation and Rahim the Dream's foolishness are unforgivable.

I'd rather have a 6-10 year than get my heart ripped out like this. I'd rather go to New England and get punked 52-3 than this. So depressed.

Anyone who would say they would rather have a 6-10 year etc etc isn't a fan. This is part of being a fan, taking those heart ripping moments. Quit pointing out individuals. This team lost as a team in a number of different ways from many players to coaching, from experienced people to the inexperienced. It is like Jacksonville, you can't compare it quarter to quarter. This team had high expectations for the playoffs (not last year) and they couldn't execute. Just like the Jacksonville game. Baltimore, although not a better team on paper, knew what they had to do under that playoff pressure and they executed. It really is that simple.

spdirty
01-12-2013, 07:38 PM
After J'Ville I felt like we could come back from that. I remember being at that game and driving home, it didn't really set in until the next Sunday when we weren't there.

This is right there with J'Ville at the very least.

razorwire77
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I had 45/50 yardline tix for for the 96 Jax game. This is worse. Jville played unbelievably hard. Mark Brunell was running and gunning all over the field. They smashed us in the mouth. Natrone Means outrushed TD for Christ's Sake. This game Bmore was out on their feet defensively at the end of the game and the Broncos just limp dicked everything (coaching, Manning, defensively) everything.

dsmoot
01-12-2013, 07:44 PM
This loss doesn't compare to Jacksonville 1996. We hadn't won a Super Bowl at that point and everyone thought it would never happen after losing to the Jaguars.

This loss hurts, hurts a lot, but it's not the worst loss in Denver sports history.

That is totally irrelevant analysis. I absolutely thought we had the team we had in 97 and really believed we had a team to compete for the Superbowl. We just blew it then and we just did again. When an era of players have changed, the 97/98 Superbowls just become history and are not relevant to todays team. Just like the 77 and 80's Superbowl appearances are not relevant to many fans on this site now. When you have a team that you know has the potential and they lose, it hurts just as much every time when they don't fulfill what you believe they could.

spdirty
01-12-2013, 07:47 PM
Anyone who would say they would rather have a 6-10 year etc etc isn't a fan. This is part of being a fan, taking those heart ripping moments. Quit pointing out individuals. This team lost as a team in a number of different ways from many players to coaching, from experienced people to the inexperienced. It is like Jacksonville, you can't compare it quarter to quarter. This team had high expectations for the playoffs (not last year) and they couldn't execute. Just like the Jacksonville game. Baltimore, although not a better team on paper, knew what they had to do under that playoff pressure and they executed. It really is that simple.

If you are 4-12 or 8-8 or whatever at least you know what you are. You know what your team needs to do. Each loss is not very hard to digest. Easy to explain and deal with. When you are 13-3 and have a great regular season offense and great regular season defense and win 11 in a row and win each game by 7 or more points, then to completely choke it away in the last minute against an inferior team, it's the worst feeling.

I'll take just about anything but this. I don't even want to watch the rest of these games. Its just a reminder of where we aren't. My stomach is doing somersauts right now. So excuse me if I'll take pretty much anything over what I'm feeling right now superfan.

spdirty
01-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Where the **** do we go from here?? If we go 14-2 do we just hope it doesn't get cold in the playoffs? ****!!!

Greatspirits
01-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Nope, not even close, we gave this game away to a dang good B-more team. We'll be back and be even stronger. Next year will be Super Bowl or bust for sure

spdirty
01-12-2013, 07:54 PM
That is totally irrelevant analysis. I absolutely thought we had the team we had in 97 and really believed we had a team to compete for the Superbowl. We just blew it then and we just did again. When an era of players have changed, the 97/98 Superbowls just become history and are not relevant to todays team. Just like the 77 and 80's Superbowl appearances are not relevant to many fans on this site now. When you have a team that you know has the potential and they lose, it hurts just as much every time when they don't fulfill what you believe they could.

I was at that game too. When it was over I could tip my hat to them for having the guts to BEAT us. We will always scapegoat MDP but I don't know if it would have made the difference had he gotten off the field.

I can't tip my hat to Baltimore for this one. They didn't beat us. We beat ourselves.

razorwire77
01-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Where the **** do we go from here?? If we go 14-2 do we just hope it doesn't get cold in the playoffs? ****!!!

Honestly, I think you trade Rahim Moore for whatever you can get. Fair or not, right or not, he's going to be the lightning rod for this entire debacle.

I think we may have seen Champ's last game at CB.

I think you acquire the best possible FA RB you can get pair him with Hillman and KM and you have an open competition at RB.

Probably time to give Prater some UDFA comp in training camp. If anything, a warning shot. He was erratic this year.

You have to upgrade the interior defensive and offensive lines (at least add to the rotational depth.

I think you have to hedge against Manning retiring by drafting another QB this year.

I think you can upgrade Decker at WR # 2. Bump Decker to the slot.

If Manning comes back, the team needs a playmaking TE that can stretch the field.

dsmoot
01-12-2013, 08:00 PM
If you are 4-12 or 8-8 or whatever at least you know what you are. You know what your team needs to do. Each loss is not very hard to digest. Easy to explain and deal with. When you are 13-3 and have a great regular season offense and great regular season defense and win 11 in a row and win each game by 7 or more points, then to completely choke it away in the last minute against an inferior team, it's the worst feeling.

I'll take just about anything but this. I don't even want to watch the rest of these games. Its just a reminder of where we aren't. My stomach is doing somersauts right now. So excuse me if I'll take pretty much anything over what I'm feeling right now superfan.

I understand the hurt. I will always take a competitive team over the dogs we had in recent years. ALWAYS. A sucking team hurts me far worse. The reality of it all is that even with good competitive teams, anyone's favorite will probably fall short with disappointment. As in life, take it in stride. Recognize the victor for what they accomplished. The true measure of an individual is how they respond in defeat. That is why Nicklaus is revered by the players he competed against. Not for the victories but for his attitude in defeat. Believe me, he hated to lose.

I too probably will not see another playoff game this year with much interest. Superfan No. Age has matured me to a point where I finally realized my emotions over my sports teams (or individual) success needed to be kept in perspective.

BroncoBuff
01-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Have to disgree with you. The loss back in 97 to Jacksonville hurt much worse. Denver was the best team in football that year to be schoold by the upstart Jags hurt. Denver will rebound and Peyton has a couple of more years left.

Loss to Jacksonville worse definitely.

11-0 #1-ranked Colorado losing to Notre Dame in 1990 Orange Bowl worse.

Redskins and 49ers Super Bowls worse.

Nuggets loss to Lakers in Game 4 1985 playoffs worse.

spdirty
01-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I think you trade Rahim Moore for whatever you can get. Fair or not, right or not, he's going to be the lightning rod for this entire debacle.

agree.

I think we may have seen Champ's last game at CB.

agree.

I think you acquire the best possible FA RB you can get pair him with Hillman and KM and you have an open competition at RB.

who's out there? If not anyone, use a 3rd rounder on one.

Probably time to give Prater some UDFA comp in training camp. If anything, a warning shot. He was erratic this year.

agree.

You have to upgrade the interior defensive and offensive lines (at least add to the rotational depth.

definitely get depth on the oline interior. I don't know if DT is a big need. Vick, Bannan, and Unrein played well this year and were good against the run.

I think you have to hedge against Manning retiring by drafting another QB this year.

Manning won't go out like this.

I think you can upgrade Decker at WR # 2. Bump Decker to the slot.
agree if Stokley doesn't come back.

If Manning comes back, the team needs a playmaking TE that can stretch the field.

eh, don't know about that. Right now there are 3 of those in the league on 2 teams. Those are harder to find right now than a franchise QB.

Mile High Mojoe
01-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Jacksonville was far worse. Elway considered retiring after the loss. That would have been the worst thing ever. This one stinks no doubt about it though.

Vine
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Stupid ****ing thread. No way this was worse than Jax. The Jax game would have been the 1st of 3peat Super Bowl wins. I have never liked Manning, but I hoped they would go to the Super Bowl, because that would put them that much closer to being one of the NFL best all-time franchises. But Elway, life long Broncos- LEGACY. The Jax loss hurt 100 millions times worse than this.

loborugger
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Jacksonville was far worse. Elway considered retiring after the loss. That would have been the worst thing ever. This one stinks no doubt about it though.

I agree with him - sad but true. Elway considering retiring after a lose is much worse than a documented play off choker.

Blart
01-12-2013, 09:00 PM

agreed. Jax is worse than today by far.

however, I still say the loss to the skins in SB XXII is the worst in denver history.

Meck77
01-12-2013, 09:07 PM
It was incredibly painful and a cold mother fugger at that. To make it to SBs and to lose them like we did was much more painful. Keep in mind that it was the pain that made the 1997 win so so sweet.

I heard a lot of chatter in the parking lot about how we are going to make the Superbowl. The word "Jacksonville" actually came out of my mouth at the tailgate. Hopefully all the kids with their new "old school" Broncos hats will pay their dues. Superbowls don't come easy. We still have a shot if Manning stays healthy otherwise it could easily be a 20 year drought.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Meh, I'm already over this loss. The butthert over the '96 team still lingers with me.

bpc
01-12-2013, 09:13 PM
They both suck but if I had to rank them on which was the harder one to take, it was the Jacksonville game. Jacksonville wasn't even supposed to be in the playoffs. I think they made it at 8-8 based on a missed FG by an opposing team in week 17.

titan
01-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Here's my rank for worst bronco losses:
All 4 Super Bowl Losses
Pittsburgh AFC Championship Game 2006
Today's loss to Baltimore
Jacksonville 1996

The 2006 Pittsburgh AFC Championship game loss was FAR worse than the Jacksonville game in my book. That was the only AFC Championship game the broncos lost at home, and to a 6th seed at that. After ending the Patriots run the week before with a thrilling playoff win the Steeler loss was a huge letdown. That loss affected the team for YEARS - it led to the drafting of Cutler and to the eventual firing of Shanahan (Bowlen doesn't fire Shanahan with 3 SB titles - and the Broncos would have beat seattle in the SB just like the Steelers did in 2006)

Today's game and the Jacksonville game were very similar (losing at home as the #1 seed in the first round). EXCEPT today's was a much more excruciating loss, with the Broncos blowing many chances to win it. I don't remember ANY bronco game where the opponent hits a long pass to tie it when the game appeared to be won (much less in a playoff game).

The Jacksonville loss wasn't fun, but Brunell played a terrific game that day. Also in 1996 many assume the broncos go on to win the super bowl if they beat JAX. BIG assumption. They lost to Green Bay in the regular season that year and the 1996 Packer team was hungry and a better team than the one the Broncos upset in the Super Bowl a year later. I think the Packers, coming off of a super bowl championship, took the broncos too lightly in the following year super bowl. The 1996 packer team would not have had that problem (having never won a super bowl with brett favre)

Tom Jackson said it best:

"The farther you go in the playoffs, the deeper the pain when you lose."

which is why I think the 2006 Pittsburgh AFC Championship game home loss was worse than today's or Jacksonville 1996 (and I was at all 3 games)