PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, did you know Harbaugh knows how to minimize altitude

bfoflcommish
01-09-2013, 02:26 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/01/09/john-harbaugh-bringing-ravens-denver-late-big-mistake/18051/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

hahaha Hilarious!

you have to start brathing once you get here and thats when it starts, i'd rather have a day or 2 head start against altitude than to have no jump on it at all.

cutthemdown
01-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Nope hes right the best thing is to spend the least amount of time in Denver as they can. All coming two days early does is deplete your body of o2 for extra days.

It takes months of conditioning at altitude to get used to it.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
The more they talk about it, the more mental it gets. Lets continue to talk about it

bfoflcommish
01-09-2013, 02:32 PM
once you start running in the altitude it hits you. its not like your body for a day just says oh humm everything is good oh heey waaiittt this isnt the same altitude.

DomCasual
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm just happy that it's a subject of discussion. Hopefully it will get in their heads.

Bernard Pollard said they would have to get really serious about the altitude, and "maybe do some jogging" when they got here. That's so crazy, it just might work!

SonOfLe-loLang
01-09-2013, 02:46 PM
It's funny, from the discussion about the altitude this week, you'd think Denver is raising Mile High a few extrea thousand feet just for the game.

RedskinBronco
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
LOL

jerseyboiler120
01-09-2013, 02:51 PM
If memory serves, back in the day Madden would bring the Raiders in as late as possible. I heard him explaining it during a game before. He said he felt it best to come as close to gametime as possible, and not linger around Denver for a couple days.

Rabb
01-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I, for one, really hope they all under dress at practice and get the flu.

Irish Stout
01-09-2013, 02:55 PM

I've heard of this elusive naked flu.

DENVERDUI55
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Nope hes right the best thing is to spend the least amount of time in Denver as they can. All coming two days early does is deplete your body of o2 for extra days.

There is a reason when you step climb to acclimate to the low pressure of the air up high. Harbaugh should bring them in early vs late.

Rabb
01-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I've heard of this elusive naked flu.

it's a medical fact

orangeatheist
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm sure there will be a few subtle reminders...

http://nflchargers.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/100911-elevation.jpg?w=450&h=226

Cleo McDowell
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I hope they all go outside with wet hair after they shower.

cutthemdown
01-09-2013, 04:27 PM
We don't need the air anyways. If Broncos don't turn the ball over no team can beat them.

winstoncup bronco
01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Right, because this was never tried before ::)

Wow, he's really grasping for straws here. He's not the first, and won't be the last, to think he's solved this. But whatever, let them think what they want. One less excuse to use.

Taco John
01-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Their best bet is to smoke cigarettes during practice all week long.

Old Dude
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Shhh. Don't tell them there's no air up here. Or that it's worse when it gets cold.

Old Dude
01-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Above 5,000 feet, you only get about 85% of your normal oxygen.

The main cause of altitude sickness is going too high too quickly. Flying to a high altitude destination does not allow the body to acclimate quickly. With time however, your body will adapt to the decrease in oxygen at a specific altitude. This process is known as acclimatisation and generally takes one to three days at any given altitude, e.g. If you go from sea level to 5,000 feet and spend several days at that altitude, your body will acclimatise to 5,000 feet. If you then climb to 10,000 feet your body has to acclimatise once again.

Your body undergoes several changes to deal with the decreased oxygen levels at higher altitudes:

You breath faster and deeper
You experience shortness of breath with exertion
You will exhibit a different breathing pattern as you sleep
You will awaken more frequently at night
Your body's hematocrit will increase as more red blood cells are produced.
You will experience increased urination
The body increases productions of an enzyme that causes the release of oxygen from haemoglobin to the body tissues.
All of these changes are a normal response to decreased oxygen level.

maher_tyler
01-09-2013, 04:57 PM
once you start running in the altitude it hits you. its not like your body for a day just says oh humm everything is good oh heey waaiittt this isnt the same altitude.

Yea...I was TDY to Flagstaff May of last year. It's higher in elevation so there is probably a little bit of a difference. When I ran there I ran about a half a mile and was completely winded. Versus in Tucson I could run a mile and a half and feel less winded than when I ran a half a mile in Flagstaff. It takes weeks if not months to get fully acclimated to elevation.

Old Dude
01-09-2013, 04:59 PM
People have been known to get off the planes at DIA and die right at the airport if they walk too fast.

Old Dude
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Good thing Denver doesn't use a hurry up offense.

oh, wait.

B-Large
01-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Denver is always at an advantage, whether here or a sea level... Physiologically our players have elevated hematocrit, meaning high red blood cells.... The should have an advantage no matte where they play, until they stay at sea level for more that a few weeks.... But they always come home, so they always maintain the edge....

The question is how much of an ege is it?

Man-Goblin
01-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Alcohol affects you more up there too. Hopefully before the game they do lots of shots, shots, shots, shots shots.

BroncsCheer
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Cyclists live and train in boulder for this very reason.... Well, that and needing to take less Edgar when they go to Europe for the big races.

broncswin
01-09-2013, 07:46 PM

Lmao

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
hey what if someone gets a whole lot of marijuana light it on fire and blow the smoke at all of them making them high and short of breath at the same time. they be soo high they wont care about the game thus enabling the Broncos to break several playoff records.

Play2win
01-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Fast break football!!

bfoflcommish
01-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Alcohol affects you more up there too. Hopefully before the game they do lots of shots, shots, shots, shots shots.

this is why I love when I go to vegas. I can drink all day and not get faded!

Mountain Bronco
01-10-2013, 07:25 AM

The hell it does. Week at best and I live at 9500 feet.

bronco militia
01-10-2013, 07:26 AM
hurry hurry

Mountain Bronco
01-10-2013, 07:31 AM
It is real simple. There isn't as much oxygen in the air, thus you body has to produce more red blood cells in order to be more efficient to process the oxygen in order to make up for the lack of oxygen. It takes 3-5 days to produce enough red blood cells to make a difference.

In reality they couldn't come early enough to make a difference, but the fact that they are adjusting their patterns already is a great thing for Denver.

DENVERDUI55
01-10-2013, 10:40 AM
It is real simple. There isn't as much oxygen in the air, thus you body has to produce more red blood cells in order to be more efficient to process the oxygen in order to make up for the lack of oxygen. It takes 3-5 days to produce enough red blood cells to make a difference.

In reality they couldn't come early enough to make a difference, but the fact that they are adjusting their patterns already is a great thing for Denver.

There acutally is the same amount of O2 in the air. It has to do with air pressure and pushing O2 into your lungs.

Bacchus
01-10-2013, 10:46 AM
It's funny, from the discussion about the altitude this week, you'd think Denver is raising Mile High a few extrea thousand feet just for the game.

I remember in 1987 when the Browns were coming for the AFC Championship game there was a big hoopla about the altitude. Dan Reeves was talking to the reporters saying that he did not think the Browns would be able to handle the altitude. He stated that the effects of the altitude were even more pronounced on dry, windy days...... LOL... It was very funny. Of course the forecast was for a typical January sunny 45 degree day with wind... HAHA

bronco militia
01-10-2013, 11:02 AM
warmer days make the affects of altitude worse...the Ravens will be fine ;D

Jetmeck
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM
The guy is just dumb.......the only way to minimize the effects of altitude in a short term situation is an oxygen tank or just don't breath.

Take your pick Harbaugh but we are about to see the no huddle ran to perfection in a Mile High atmosphere.

Ray Ray and his bunch will be sucking wind early fourth quarter if not earlier.
Running the ball will not be a problem when we need to run the clock.

DENVERDUI55
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
The game will feel like 4000 ft if its 20 degrees. I don't expect the altitude to be much of a factor.

broncosteven
01-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Above 5,000 feet, you only get about 85% of your normal oxygen.

The main cause of altitude sickness is going too high too quickly. Flying to a high altitude destination does not allow the body to acclimate quickly. With time however, your body will adapt to the decrease in oxygen at a specific altitude. This process is known as acclimatisation and generally takes one to three days at any given altitude, e.g. If you go from sea level to 5,000 feet and spend several days at that altitude, your body will acclimatise to 5,000 feet. If you then climb to 10,000 feet your body has to acclimatise once again.

Your body undergoes several changes to deal with the decreased oxygen levels at higher altitudes:

You breath faster and deeper
You experience shortness of breath with exertion
You will exhibit a different breathing pattern as you sleep
You will awaken more frequently at night
Your body's hematocrit will increase as more red blood cells are produced.
You will experience increased urination
The body increases productions of an enzyme that causes the release of oxygen from haemoglobin to the body tissues.
All of these changes are a normal response to decreased oxygen level.

Plus it takes like twice as long to cook a Tuna Casserole.

LetsGoBroncos
01-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, I thought they flew in last night. Are they not flying in until tonight? That would really be a mistake on their part in my opinion.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22352381/baltimore-ravens-star-rb-ray-rice-has-denver

Arriving late. To avoid the potential effects of altitude, the Ravens are flying Friday night to Denver. "It's to stay within the 24-hour window," coach John Harbaugh said.

spiralism
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Whoa whoa whoa, I thought they flew in last night. Are they not flying in until tonight? That would really be a mistake on their part in my opinion.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22352381/baltimore-ravens-star-rb-ray-rice-has-denver

Arriving late. To avoid the potential effects of altitude, the Ravens are flying Friday night to Denver. "It's to stay within the 24-hour window," coach John Harbaugh said.

What's this about a 24 hour window? Even then this is a stupid idea, the travel could tire them out anyways, the rule with Jetlag is one day for every timezone crossed. So mild jetlag and altitude sickness then.

ZONA
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
At 12,000 feet there are 40% fewer oxygen molecules per breath then at sea level. The oxygen is there, just that the pressure doesn't force them into your lungs at the same rate. So at 6,000 feet it would be about 20%. So I'm guessing at 5280 feet it's around the 15% mark. It's said that it takes 12-14 hours before a person notices any affects from altitude. But those are usually the more severe symptoms such as blurred vision, increased heart rate and breathing rates. I betcha mild fatigue is something that may not be at noticeable but it's probably something that is happening before the 12-14 hour window.

Sounds like the Ravens have this in their head so much that not only will we see oxygen masks on their sidelines but they're probably bring in a few inflatable hyperbaric chambers, hahaha. Would love to see their sideline with a few of these bad boys.

http://www.healthspringholistic.com/ci/hbot.jpg

Agamemnon
01-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Their best bet is to bring a ton of oxygen machines and to use them whenever they are waiting to get back on the field. Nothing else is going to have any effect.

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
The Ravens best bet is to let Ray sneak into Denver lockeroom with a buck and take care of PM.

Hulamau
01-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Right, because this was never tried before ::)

Wow, he's really grasping for straws here. He's not the first, and won't be the last, to think he's solved this. But whatever, let them think what they want. One less excuse to use.

For this game it isn't just the very real and significant altitude burden the Ravens will face, but the combo of both low oxygen AND frigid dry cold air when they are suckin' wind is gonna put some extreme hurt in those lungs and legs by the second quarter!

Especially with Manning running the ultra fast break 'playoff edition' of the no-huddle allowing precious little chance for their D to substitute!

Look for their Fatties and Oldies to fall first! Keep an eye on Haloti and McKinnie and when they start bending over and pulling on their jersey or holding their thighs between snaps you'll now the end is near! :-)

You know Manning will have that on his radar and as soon as he sees Pollard and Ray Rays tongue starting to hang a bit and get that frost bit look on the tip of the tongue he'll be going directly right after them for some long gainers.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Well, they're in for the triple-whammy tomorrow. Cold air, dry air, thin air.

Hulamau
01-11-2013, 01:09 PM
At 12,000 feet there are 40% fewer oxygen molecules per breath then at sea level. The oxygen is there, just that the pressure doesn't force them into your lungs at the same rate. So at 6,000 feet it would be about 20%. So I'm guessing at 5280 feet it's around the 15% mark. It's said that it takes 12-14 hours before a person notices any affects from altitude. But those are usually the more severe symptoms such as blurred vision, increased heart rate and breathing rates. I betcha mild fatigue is something that may not be at noticeable but it's probably something that is happening before the 12-14 hour window.

Sounds like the Ravens have this in their head so much that not only will we see oxygen masks on their sidelines but they're probably bring in a few inflatable hyperbaric chambers, hahaha. Would love to see their sideline with a few of these bad boys.

http://www.healthspringholistic.com/ci/hbot.jpg

That 12 to 14 hour window before people tend to notice the more overt symptoms of higher altitude is when dealing with people who are not exerting physically at a high level./

These Ravens will start to feel the burn before warmups are over and be thinking Uh Oh! before kick off...:-)

Hulamau
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Id love to see another 28 point Bronco lead at the start of end of the 3rd quarter again and this time watch our defense sprint to the other end of the field to change quarters like that did going into the 4th quarter against KC and just put the last twist on that very real physiological and psychological knife between the Ravens ribs.

ghwk
01-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Yep I did my graduate research on this. Best scenario is to get off the plane dressed and go right to the field. Full acclimatization can take up to a year.

AZorange1
01-11-2013, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Old Dude;3775245]Above 5,000 feet, you only get about 85% of your normal oxygen.

Informative post---really, I lived in Colorado for 38 years and had to move to Phoenix because I could no longer deal with the altitude. (Have only 25% usage of my heart) I used to have to do C-PAP with an oxygen concentrator at night. Here in Arizona, I can sleep with nose strips only. I to am an "old dude" and miss my home a ton, especially when I look out the window here. BUT I can function again properly.

ZONA
01-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Look for their Fatties and Oldies to fall first!

OMG, had me rollin..............Hilarious!

Requiem
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I had altitude sickness when I drove from the Midwest to Denver in ~ 11 hours and went from 1,250 feet above sea level to over 9,500 feet. First thing I did when I moved into my place was pass out next to the sofa, blacked out really, for a few minutes and then came to. After that, I'd say it took a 48-72 hours at most to get accustom to the change -- and that is with being a smoker. Was able to hike 5-10 miles regularly each day without getting tired at all.