PDA

View Full Version : As we celebrate Ray Lewis, don't forget murder victims

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Mike Bianchi SPORTS COMMENTARY

7:26 p.m. EST, January 5, 2013

On the day Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis announced he would be retiring after this season, my thoughts drifted back to a bitterly cold winter day in a cemetery in Akron, Ohio.

That's where Richard Lollar was buried and where his bespectacled grandmother, Joyce Lollar, showed me his grave more than a decade ago.

As I wrote then, she crunched through the snow with leafless trees etched against a gray Midwestern skyline. A frozen drizzle fell from above. With her shoe, she scraped the snow and the ice and the dirt from her grandson's grave site and said a short prayer that ended with: "We miss you, Richard. We love you."
And then she broke down and cried. And then the sadness turned to madness as she spoke bitterly about how she felt Ray Lewis and his "gang of hoodlums" literally got away with murder.

"They stabbed my Richard five times in vital places the heart, the liver," she said angrily. "They don't even kill animals like that. This was no bar fight; this was a slaughter. This was a thrill-killing."

Amid this week-long celebration and commemoration of Ray Lewis' brilliant, Hall of Fame career, let us not forget that he was once charged with killing Richard Lollar and Jacinth Baker two men whose murders were never solved. Two men whose families are, no doubt, still haunted by the fact that brutal, bloody killers are still out there somewhere running free.

Ray Lewis may or may not be the greatest linebacker of all-time, but he has certainly pulled off the greatest comeback story in the history of sports. He is considered a role model, a team leader, a man known for his hard work on the field and his charitable work off of it.

To fathom the scope of his redemptive powers, all you have to do is click on the two separate Wikipedia pages of Lewis and Michael Vick. In the opening paragraph of Vick's, it mentions his notorious episode of dog-killing. In Lewis' opening paragraph, it chronicles his Pro Bowls, his Super Bowl MVP, even the torn triceps that kept him sidelined for much of this season. But there is not a single mention of the fact that he once was charged with murdering two men.

"Everybody's gone on with their lives; everybody but us," Joyce Lollar told me in 2001, a year after her grandson was murdered and a few days before Lewis was named the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV. "Ray Lewis is living his dream, but what about my grandson's dreams? Our family's been destroyed, and now we have to watch Ray Lewis prancing around in the Super Bowl. It makes me sick to my stomach."

Joyce raised Richard Lollar, who was left dead in the street in the early morning hours on Jan. 31, 2000, a few hours after the Rams defeated the Titans in one of the most thrilling Super Bowls in history. And then came one of the most chilling post-Super Bowl scenes in history. A brawl outside the Cobalt Lounge, an upscale Atlanta nightclub, turned into gory spectacle of steely knives, mangled flesh and a river of blood. The 24-year-old Lollar and his 21-year-old boyhood buddy from Akron, Jacinth Baker, were both stabbed multiple times in the heart, the knives savagely twisted into their vital organs. The killers knew exactly what they were doing.

Lewis, his two good friends Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting and nine others sped away from the crime scene in a 40-foot Lincoln limousine. Lewis, Oakley and Sweeting were charged with the killings and cleared in a controversial court decision that still leaves many questions unanswered.

Why, when Lewis made an appearance at a sporting goods store the day before the Super Bowl, did his friends buy knives at the store?

Why did witnesses say the limo pulled over and someone dumped bloody clothes into a trash bin?

Why was the white suit Ray Lewis wore that night never found?

Why did the limo driver change his story mid-trial after originally testifying that Lewis told everyone to "just keep your mouth shut and don't say nothing"? Originally, the driver told police he saw Lewis actively taking part in the bloody brawl and heard Oakley and Sweeting admit to stabbing someone. But he backed off those statements when he got on the witness stand.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-mike-bianchi-ray-lewis-0106-20130105,0,1707256.column

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
The NFL may want us to forget this sickening story, but many of us refuse to. The dude is either a murderer or an accomplice to murder. Period.

broncosteven
01-06-2013, 06:59 PM
I never understood why this continues to get swept under the rug. It is like letting O.J. Kill his wife before he broke off 2k then laud him with endless accolades.

Did the family's ever file a civil suit?

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I never understood why this continues to get swept under the rug. It is like letting O.J. Kill his wife before he broke off 2k then laud him with endless accolades.

Did the family's ever file a civil suit?

Ray Lewis paid them both off according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis

broncocalijohn
01-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Seems many haven't let him off easy according to many posts at the Mane.

troyjbath
01-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Did you guys watch A Football Life: Ray Lewis on Wednesday? I noticed that whenever he would talk about the murder charges he would look down at the floor and away from the crowd in the room. It was a bit awkward and out of character for him.

fdf
01-06-2013, 07:18 PM
The NFL may want us to forget this sickening story, but many of us refuse to. The dude is either a murderer or an accomplice to murder. Period.

I don't celebrate Ray Lewis. So I'm safe.

GoBroncos DownUnder
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.smileydesign.net/smileys/class41.gif

MrPeepers
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
ha!

"Lewis is a Christian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian), and his commitment to his faith was featured in a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2006. He has six children by four women.[/URL]" - Wikipedia / Personal Life

murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.<sup id="cite_ref-sportsline1_39-0" class="reference">[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#cite_note-sportsline1-39"][39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#cite_note-si2006-9)</sup> No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.

broncosteven
01-06-2013, 07:24 PM
Did you guys watch A Football Life: Ray Lewis on Wednesday? I noticed that whenever he would talk about the murder charges he would look down at the floor and away from the crowd in the room. It was a bit awkward and out of character for him.

Yep...I don't remember him being as deeply religious until after the stabbings.

In a way I am glad he figured out what really was important and made some changes in his life, too bad 2 people had to die for that to happen.

edog24
01-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Ridiculous, thanks for posting that, it's good to remember. He is/was a scumbag, not uncommon for a lot of Ravens.

Hercules Rockefeller
01-06-2013, 08:01 PM
IIRC, the coroner said the victims were stabbed with surgical precision and it was scary how "efficient" the murderers were.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 09:45 PM
there's what you know and what you can prove. he wasn't proven guilty of the crime so i have no reason to call him a scumbag or murderer.
he may or may not have gotten away with a heinous crime, but he wasn't convicted of it so anything judgmental on my part is wasted emotion.

hating on him is not going to bring those people back, it won't give that family justice.
if he did do it, a far greater power than i will pass judgement on him in the end.

Cleo McDowell
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
there's what you know and what you can prove. he wasn't proven guilty of the crime so i have no reason to call him a scumbag or murderer.
he may or may not have gotten away with a heinous crime, but he wasn't convicted of it so anything judgmental on my part is wasted emotion.

hating on him is not going to bring those people back, it won't give that family justice.
if he did do it, a far greater power than i will pass judgement on him in the end.

Well said.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Hating on him is one thing. This is more about putting things in perspective while the NFL blows sunshine up his ass before he retires.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Hating on him is one thing. This is more about putting things in perspective while the NFL blows sunshine up his ass before he retires.

yeah but this isn't Donte Stallworth or Ray Carruth.
this is almost 13 years old and no conviction. just conjecture and condemning.

Cito Pelon
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Dude was convicted of Obstruction of Justice for trying to cover up the murder. I'm sick of seeing the adoration for the guy.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 10:14 PM

He agreed to testify against the other candidates to get the charges against him dropped, and settled out of court with both victims' families. There's more to it than conjecture. In my opinion he didn't actually stab anyone, but I do think he tried to cover up for his thug friends until it looked like his whole career was going to be destroyed in the process.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Someone in the small group of people including Ray Lewis and his posse stabbed two people to death. Ray Lewis at the very least obstructed the investigation into this murder. Guess how I know? Hint: it involves a guilty plea. So Lewis is either a murderer, or the kind of guy who hangs out with and aids/abets a murderer. Many people who fit that description reside in prison, because that's where they belong.

El Guapo
01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Here's a nice little image to use this week.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR7xgsjcJZ8vIbd_7kG0snGkReVyAB4 GoFBjhb74Zwmm1YrNMXAa06nCZbLg

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:48 PM
He agreed to testify against the other candidates to get the charges against him dropped, and settled out of court with both victims' families. There's more to it than conjecture. In my opinion he didn't actually stab anyone, but I do think he tried to cover up for his thug friends until it looked like his whole career was going to be destroyed in the process.

sounds about right. but even with that his testimony against them it still didn't lead to implicating them in the crime.
him reaching a financial settlement with the families means they can't come after him later on or they look like they're just after more money.
eliminates the potential for future worry.

Cito Pelon
01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Someone in the small group of people including Ray Lewis and his posse stabbed two people to death. Ray Lewis at the very least obstructed the investigation into this murder. Guess how I know? Hint: it involves a guilty plea. So Lewis is either a murderer, or the kind of guy who hangs out with and aids/abets a murderer. Many people who fit that description reside in prison, because that's where they belong.

Key words.

Those are two words in the English language that can't be got around, no how no way. Lewis pled guilty to obstruction of justice in a murder investigation.

DENVERDUI55
01-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Kershaw knives want to sponsor Lewis but Buck knife company is offering a lot of money.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-07-2013, 05:43 PM

gee neither was OJ . he was proven innocent of murder the glove did not fit you got to acquit too bad those was his shoes i dont care he is a murderer or accomplice .
he is as guilty as oj justice wasnt served lack of evidence

Mogulseeker
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR7xgsjcJZ8vIbd_7kG0snGkReVyAB4 GoFBjhb74Zwmm1YrNMXAa06nCZbLg

There's got to be a more clever meme than this... this is just doing it wrong.

Taco John
01-07-2013, 06:03 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2539/obstructionies.jpg

Chris
01-07-2013, 06:06 PM
My bro and I haven't forgotten. We were commenting on this during the asslicking that took place from the commentary booth and the 'analysts' on multiple networks yesterday.

Jetland
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
and god help us now that he will be working for ESPN after Sunday

peacepipe
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
If it were Elway that got in this trouble when he was young,would you be hating on him like you are on Lewis? People change.

Jetland
01-07-2013, 06:18 PM
If it were Elway that got in this trouble when he was young,would you be hating on him like you are on Lewis? People change.

HAHA wow amazing

cutthemdown
01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2539/obstructionies.jpg

Can i wish death on him without getting banned. Hilarious!

StugotsIII
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM
and god help us now that he will be working for ESPN after Sunday

Why don't you cry about it some more.

errand
01-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Elway would never be accused of such ****, because he's not a part of the thug culture that Ray Lewis is a part of.

and people also put on fronts too, right?

How many serial killers were active members of their churches, or outstanding small business owners, or involved with well known local politicians?

Ray had no remorse for what he did....none what so ever. I hope he gets hit by a bus on the way to practice tomorrow....**** him.

HorseHead
01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
He (Ray Ray) will be sucking some severe wind mid way through the 2nd quarter Saturday rest assured...

peacepipe
01-07-2013, 07:02 PM
Elway would never be accused of such ****, because he's not a part of the thug culture that Ray Lewis is a part of.

and people also put on fronts too, right?

How many serial killers were active members of their churches, or outstanding small business owners, or involved with well known local politicians?

Ray had no remorse for what he did....none what so ever. I hope he gets hit by a bus on the way to practice tomorrow....**** him.

Answer the question. I didn't ask if Elway could ever have ended up in this situation,god forbid a white man ever gets caught hanging around thugs.

Cito Pelon
01-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Answer the question. I didn't ask if Elway could ever have ended up in this situation,god forbid a white man ever gets caught hanging around thugs.

Give it a rest, peacepipe.

rmsanger
01-07-2013, 07:23 PM
The only thing he's been killing lately are Colts' blockers.

cutthemdown
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Broncos should be grabbing and pulling on his arm in piles. Ravens are a dirty bunch and Ray deserves a beatdown on his way out. I would love to see him not be able to finish his last game. Where is Dan Neil when you need him. We could always could on him to go knee hunting.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM

ill answer that yes, murder is murder white black asian i dont care ray should be behind bars but if you read the article you know how he got his driver to change his story and witnesses said he changed his clothes

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-07-2013, 09:27 PM
as for his lil espn stint no i wont watch that piece of human garbage ill change the channel when hes on

spdirty
01-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Just have to wonder what the temperature would be on Ray Ray had Shanahan drafted him over John Mobley.

DivineLegion
01-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Just have to wonder what the temperature would be on Ray Ray had Shanahan drafted him over John Mobley.

Hmmmm, John Mobley could still be playing right now if it were not for the Baltimore Ravens.

errand
01-07-2013, 10:32 PM

if any Broncos player pleads guilty to murder, or obstructing an investigation into a murder.
.. trust me the majority of people on here would be all over him just as much.

or have you not paid attention anytime a Bronco player gets in trouble with the law?

...and Ray isn't a thug because he's black he's a thug because he's a ****ing thug.

BowlenBall
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM

Actually, that's the most appropriate use of this meme that I've ever seen... right down to the team colors.

errand
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM

I'll admit there would probably be a few on here that would still applaud his sorry ass.... but I think the bottom line is that the majority of people on here would have taken issue with him being a murderer.

spdirty
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
I'll admit there would probably be a few on here that would still applaud his sorry ass.... but I think the bottom line is that the majority of people on here would have taken issue with him being a murderer.

Yeah, but 13 years after the incident, and he's arguably the best linebacker ever, and ever since then being what is perceived to be a "good guy." I'll be honest. I know it would be hard for me to not try to ignore that incident if he played on my team. Very hard.

I really want to like Ray Ray, but every time I'm just about there, I think about what he got away with, and I just can't keep myself from thinking about what he was at least a part of. I would really be conflicted.

With all that said, I'm really glad he never has been on our team. However, Ed Reed, that's another story.

Blart
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Our culture is more upset when these people are stabbed to death,

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5y6kvA7hY1rw3b61o1_400.jpg

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.259881.1314332331!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_200/amd-nicole-brown-jpg.jpg

Than when these people are stabbed to death,

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/features/bloody_monday/news/2000/02/25/part1_victims2/t1_bloody_monday_v.jpg

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Why, when Lewis made an appearance at a sporting goods store the day before the Super Bowl, did his friends buy knives at the store?

Why did witnesses say the limo pulled over and someone dumped bloody clothes into a trash bin?

Why was the white suit Ray Lewis wore that night never found?

Why did the limo driver change his story mid-trial after originally testifying that Lewis told everyone to "just keep your mouth shut and don't say nothing"? Originally, the driver told police he saw Lewis actively taking part in the bloody brawl and heard Oakley and Sweeting admit to stabbing someone. But he backed off those statements when he got on the witness stand.

how can anyone defend this human turd MURDER IS MURDER it isnt about being black or white rich poor famous or not famous he murdered someone justice wasnt delivered

Blart
01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I'd be happy if Ray Lewis were in jail.

But I'll have to settle for watching the Broncos humiliate his defense.

Spider
01-08-2013, 03:19 AM
as some one who has been involved in this kind of violence .confusion and mayhem are to dominate factors and lets not forget these 2 men were not innocent in this ... Do I believe Ray Ray stabbed them ? No I dont .....did he know who did ? possibly ....

Bacchus
01-08-2013, 03:46 AM
ha!

"Lewis is a Christian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian), and his commitment to his faith was featured in a Sports Illustrated cover story in 2006. He has six children by four women." - Wikipedia / Personal Life

murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice

Oakley and Sweeting were acquitted of the charges in June 2000.<SUP id=cite_ref-sportsline1_39-0 class=reference>[39] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Lewis#cite_note-sportsline1-39)</SUP> No other suspects have ever been arrested for the crime.

Some of the greatest killers of all time were Chirstians. See Crusades

I hate this guy so much it is going to be very hard to watch ESPN with him..

tesnyde
01-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Lewis should be accountable for murder. With that said, there is no amount of money you could pay me to hush up and let it go, if someone hurt or did worse to my kids. I don't want to judge the victims families, but I would have choose a different path. Lweis and his posse would have been paying, court order wise, minimum.

strafen
01-08-2013, 06:45 AM
In my mind, there's nothing RL can ever do, to erase that stigma he carries that originated from the murder that he allegedlly in some fashion was linked to...

As much as I dislike the guy for that, bringing this up now is kind of sleazy

Rock Chalk
01-08-2013, 07:00 AM
gee neither was OJ . he was proven innocent of murder the glove did not fit you got to acquit too bad those was his shoes i dont care he is a murderer or accomplice .
he is as guilty as oj justice wasnt served lack of evidence

Just on a technicality here, OJ was not proven innocent, he was just not found guilty.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

Being found not guilty just means there was not enough evidence to convict. Being found innocent means there was plenty of evidence to support that one did NOT commit the crime.

ChampJesusBailey
01-08-2013, 09:39 AM

lol I put this pic in my signature on that Ravens forum from that other thread and it only took 1 post for someone to call for a ban Hilarious!

Seems they are quite touchy about the subject.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Just on a technicality here, OJ was not proven innocent, he was just not found guilty.

There is a BIG difference between the two.

Being found not guilty just means there was not enough evidence to convict. Being found innocent means there was plenty of evidence to support that one did NOT commit the crime.

my bad and lewis didnt exactly get away with it totally he was found guilty of a lesser charge .
none the less Ray and his friends and OJ are guilty and got away with murder. too bad the family didnt do what the Goldman family did and sue Lewis for wrongful death

BroncoLifer
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Being found not guilty just means there was not enough evidence to convict.

Or that the defense got the right set of 12 jurors.....

Agamemnon
01-08-2013, 11:14 AM

If Gandhi had engineered the murder of millions of jews would he be judged the same as Hitler? Yes.