PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos vs Baltimore Ravens : Strategery Thread: Pravda Reboot

Bronco Rob
01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
In a amazing game that no one could possibly see coming, the Ravens somehow pull off the upset of the century and beat the Colts at home. Looks like Denver might see the Ravens next week. In case they do, as a contingency how do the Broncos plan on beating them?

Shut them down in Baltimore last month. This time around Lewis, Suggs and McClain should help in the running game but beyond that not much has changed. Hopefully the "let's do fot Ray mojo" is spent beating Indianapolis today, not that it would save them from what's in store a week from now. In a perfect world we beat them by a couple of TDs without having to show too much of our hand since the template is already in place. Shutdown Ray Rice, make Flacco beat you with his arm, on offense run the ball keep em honest force them syphon off help to their already depleted secondary. The only TDs they scored were late in the fourth in garbage time last game. PFM should have a field day as will the defense after they build a sizable lead.

Broncos 37 Ravens 13

:thumbs:

orinjkrush
01-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Broncos need to avoid:
WRs with the dropsies
RBs with fumblefingers
LG and RG with blitz brainfartz
LBs that overrun plays
DEs that don't play the run
and safeties that cannot recognize & stick with TEs.
we fix those and we'll be awesome.

Bmore Manning
01-06-2013, 01:51 PM
The game was tight until the pick six before half...

I'm concerned about the Ravens playing for Ray.. But I like that it's a home game.

rugbythug
01-06-2013, 01:54 PM

I'm concerned about the Ravens playing for Ray.. But I like that it's a home game.

They would have won if we had not scored so much.

troyjbath
01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Stop the run and force Flacco to do his best Mark Sanchez impression.
Get Moreno rolling and let Manning do his thing.
Unleash VonDoom

Game over.

35-10 Denver

Bmore Manning
01-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Your cool smart ass..cha feel?

Bronco Rob
01-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Last game kept Rice under 40 yards, held Boldin to zero catches, Flacco had a dismal day as well. Looks like RR has a case of the fumbles, the defense did a good job generating pressure on Luck. Kuper is back, Manning was only sacked 21 times with 19 of those coming while he was out of the line up.

BroncoMan4ever
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
No slow start. I would much rather take their hearts out early instead of letting them have hope in the 2nd half.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Sweet first paragraph asswipe.

razorwire77
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I expect a tight game for a 1.5/2 quarters. Joe Flacco will **** the bed, and the stars on defense are too old to bail him out for an entire game.

Broncos 27
Ravens 14

BroncsCheer
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
I honestly feel that with all of the comfortable wins to wrap up the regular season, Denver hasn't really shown the 'good stuff' to be used against them on film.

Rat birds are doomed.

tesnyde
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Bronco Rob;3772355]In a amazing game that no one could possibly see coming, the Ravens somehow pull off the upset of the century and beat the Colts

upset of the century? Wow.

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/odds
Ravens were favored by all the major books.

Anyhow....The Broncos have opened as 9.5-point favorites against the Ravens with the total set at 45.

Bronco Boy
01-06-2013, 02:41 PM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7818/broncosravens.png

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Manning >>>> Flacco. That's all you need to know.

tesnyde
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Nice.....Hilarious!

Nwp-Apap
01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

The score was tied at kickoff

Bronco Rob
01-06-2013, 02:59 PM
I honestly feel that with all of the comfortable wins to wrap up the regular season, Denver hasn't really shown the 'good stuff' to be used against them on film.

Rat birds are doomed.

Hoping to hold off on the "good stuff" until the Texans or Patriots come to town.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Expect the Ravens to try to attack our edge with Pierce...i think he will be their "X-factor"

As for them, they better hope Manning has an off day. There's no secret to what we do, you can try to fool him, but he'll figure you out eventually. If im a ravens fan, an off day is what i can hope for, and maybe you can figure out how to get penetration up the middle without blitzing. They didnt the first game.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Expect the Ravens to try to attack our edge with Pierce...i think he will be their "X-factor"

As for them, they better hope Manning has an off day. There's no secret to what we do, you can try to fool him, but he'll figure you out eventually. If im a ravens fan, an off day is what i can hope for, and maybe you can figure out how to get penetration up the middle without blitzing. They didnt the first game.

Kaylore
01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Manning owns the Ravens. Even pre-Manning we have beat the Ravens at home in recent years. The Broncos were fine tuning this week. At home, with two weeks and that crowd that is literally going to be going insane, at altitude - I think we handle them.

Hulamau
01-06-2013, 03:17 PM

The Play for Ray mantra ran its course today... jsut ask Indy how easy it is to ride the same emotional wave two weeks in a row .. on the road no less against a superior team.

The Ravens wont have ANY of that mojo next Saturday at 5,200 feet where Ray Ray .. and the rest of their aging D ... will really start to feel his/their age and realize it really is time to hang it up!

Hulamau
01-06-2013, 03:18 PM
None of their corners can hang with Tammie and Stoke with Manning throwing them the ball ... much less Decker and DT!

PS .. I very much expect to hear Ed Reed is hanging it up after they get run out of Mile High. He just doesn't want to rain on Ray Ray's parade by announcing it officially now.

theAPAOps5
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Bout time someone starts a strategery thread! :angel:

DomCasual
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Your cool smart ass..cha feel?

I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

fontaine
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Screw strategy.

Beat the sh*t out of the Ravens.

Aftermath
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
DEN/NE GB/SEA DEN/GB ADVANCE

Los Broncos
01-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Manning >>>> Flacco. That's all you need to know.

This

Lolad
01-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Simple gameplan start quick on offense. Stop the run, get them off the field on 3rd down and we win

BroncoMan4ever
01-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Rat birds are doomed.

Plus that Peyton Manning game where he has 4 TDs and 300 yards by halftime hasn't happened yet this season.

Bmore Manning
01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Oh no cha feel.. Cha definitely feel...

UberBroncoMan
01-06-2013, 05:59 PM
This game will be decided by turnovers.

extralife
01-06-2013, 06:12 PM
if they play defense like they did today, we won't roll them. but I can't see them winning without awful turnovers or ray rice busting two or three he shouldn't have.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-06-2013, 06:22 PM

ahahahaahahahah:~ohyah!:

rbackfactory80
01-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Just remember, Manning had 11 playoff appearances with the Colts and 7 of them were 1 and done. Sure he has a better team to take pressure off him but in a way he has more to prove.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
if they play defense like they did today, we won't roll them. but I can't see them winning without awful turnovers or ray rice busting two or three he shouldn't have.

I dunno, at home, overrated colts team that can't run well, rookie QB making his first playoff start, offensive coordinator who never called a play prior to today...

or...

Peyton Manning, his massive tackles, and his huge and athletic receivers.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 06:40 PM
This game will be decided by turnovers.

They'll need a +2 TO differential to make it close in my opinion. +3 and they definitely win. Anything else and we win. If we have the positive ratio we probably blow them out.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I dunno, at home, overrated colts team that can't run well, rookie QB making his first playoff start, offensive coordinator who never called a play prior to today...

or...

Peyton Manning, his massive tackles, and his huge and athletic receivers.

Indeed. The Colts' youth got exposed today. That game means nothing when assessing how the Ravens matchup against the Broncos.

DeuceOfClub
01-06-2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.directsnapfootball.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/ajhs-31.gif

extralife
01-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Indeed. The Colts' youth got exposed today. That game means nothing when assessing how the Ravens matchup against the Broncos.

it definitely means something. football is an emotional game, and the ravens were flying around drilling people today. their defense has not looked like that in a while. they aren't holding us to nine points, but they don't need to hold us to nine points to make it an interesting game.

B-Large
01-06-2013, 06:54 PM

I'd pin this mods.... This is fine photoshopping

Peoples Champ
01-06-2013, 07:21 PM
Screw strategy.

Beat the sh*t out of the Ravens.

lol...ya strategy is to do the same exact thing you did last time we played the Ravens

errand
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM

they gave up 419 total yards to Colts....

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 08:48 PM
it definitely means something. football is an emotional game, and the ravens were flying around drilling people today. their defense has not looked like that in a while. they aren't holding us to nine points, but they don't need to hold us to nine points to make it an interesting game.

No, seriously, it means nothing. They blew out the Giants one week and lost to the Bengals the next. This all happened after we whooped them in their house. Beating the Colts 24-9 at home means absolutely nothing going into a game in Denver.

Oh and yes they probably do have to hold us to 9 points to beat us (more like 14 honestly). We have one of the best defenses in the game while they have a rather mediocre offense.

JPPT1974
01-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Come on Manning and Broncos, beat the you know what out of the Ravens!

DENVERDUI55
01-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Lewis got all his dancing out today because he knew that it would be last home game and win. Manning will torch those guys up and get TD's not FG's and missed FG's. Vaughn doesn't play for Broncos anymore so that is a good thing. Harris needs to play slow Boldin like last game.

Kaylore
01-06-2013, 09:47 PM
I hate how the media slobs over who won that week so the bye teams suddenly "are in trouble" just because it's out of sight, out of mind.

This is one of the most focused teams I've seen in ANY sport. They are methodical and constant. Always improving.

Flacco is one of the worst road QB's in the league this year.

Flacco in away games:
141 of 248 (56.9) 7 TD's to 5 ints 74.9 rating.

So on a short week, not able to run his no huddle in our house against Peyton Manning, who again - owns the Ravens - UTTERLY - color me unimpressed.

Bronco Rob
01-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Do you find it ironic that Ray Lewis' first playoff game was against the Broncos and his last will be against the Broncos.

fontaine
01-07-2013, 04:43 AM
I hate how the media slobs over who won that week so the bye teams suddenly "are in trouble" just because it's out of sight, out of mind.

This is one of the most focused teams I've seen in ANY sport. They are methodical and constant. Always improving.

Flacco in away games:

So on a short week, not able to run his no huddle in our house against Peyton Manning, who again - owns the Ravens - UTTERLY - color me unimpressed.

Thank you for bringing back some sanity into this thread.

The Ratbirds have scored 30 or more just ONCE on the road the last two years, including postseason games and this year their offense is absolutely average on the road riding on the back of Ray Rice.

Welcome to mile high, say hello to Decker/DT/Manning and our defense. Do not pass go, do not collect another postseason game, STFU and go home.

g6matty
01-07-2013, 04:53 AM
we need to worry about POLLARD. he has a knack for injuring players . we need to get through this game with out losing DT or Decker

Durango
01-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Weather could be a factor this next weekend. The forecasters are predicting cold weather (20's) with a good possibility of snow flurries.

I think this may hinder Baltimore more than Denver. Moreno has got to be healthy, but I believe the TE's will play a big, big role in the game plan IF the weather is sketchy.

Despite the variables like weather, Denver should dispatch these guys in a game a little closer than some people think, maybe 27-17.

WolfpackGuy
01-07-2013, 04:57 AM
The Broncos just need to do what they do.

This Ratbirds media hype reminds me of all the love the Phins were getting back in the 1998 playoffs before the Broncos embarrassed them.

Bronco Rob
01-07-2013, 09:52 AM
we need to worry about POLLARD. he has a knack for injuring players . we need to get through this game with out losing DT or Decker

That's only players on New England.

Pick Six
01-07-2013, 10:27 AM
The Ravens beat us so badly that Denver builds a statue of Ray Lewis. Lewis, alone, contributes 800 points of the Ravens 924. Ravens 924 Broncos 3 (Prater makes a solid contribution).

gunns
01-07-2013, 11:07 AM
The Play for Ray mantra ran its course today... jsut ask Indy how easy it is to ride the same emotional wave two weeks in a row .. on the road no less against a superior team.

The Ravens wont have ANY of that mojo next Saturday at 5,200 feet where Ray Ray .. and the rest of their aging D ... will really start to feel his/their age and realize it really is time to hang it up!

And where most of the people in the stands couldn't care less.

BroncoFanDoug
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Any given Sunday - it comes true enough that it is probably true. Thank goodness this is on Saturday!

Anyways, we play at home, well rested, best balanced team in the NFL, PFM at QB.

They travel on a short week, their team has holes, Flacco at QB.

Could we lose? Yea. But we would really really need to screw it up, and we have not shown that tendency for about 12 weeks. I think we manage them pretty easily maybe 30 - 10.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-07-2013, 05:06 PM
the raven crowd was chanting we want manning i say lets fullfill their wish

DENVERDUI55
01-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Not that the talking heads of Fouts, Simms, Gannon and Beurlein mean anything but they all expect big Denver win except Beurlein. I agree with Gannon that the only way Ravens can win is to get a defensive TD/ST TD and a bunch of TO's.

baja
01-08-2013, 08:17 AM
There is also the expectation that for just the sixth game this season, the Broncos offensive line will be at full strength for their playoff game against the Ravens. Right guard Chris Kuper, who missed the final four games of the regular season after he aggravated his left ankle injury, is expected back. Left tackle Ryan Clady, who sat out last week's practices to rest and heal an undisclosed injury, will also return this week.

Read more: Broncos enjoy healing power of playoff bye; O-line nears full strength - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22326526/broncos-enjoy-healing-power-playoff-bye-o-line#ixzz2HOwzHuTh
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Bronco Rob
01-08-2013, 10:05 AM
There is also the expectation that for just the sixth game this season, the Broncos offensive line will be at full strength for their playoff game against the Ravens. Right guard Chris Kuper, who missed the final four games of the regular season after he aggravated his left ankle injury, is expected back. Left tackle Ryan Clady, who sat out last week's practices to rest and heal an undisclosed injury, will also return this week.

Read more: Broncos enjoy healing power of playoff bye; O-line nears full strength - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22326526/broncos-enjoy-healing-power-playoff-bye-o-line#ixzz2HOwzHuTh
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

If Knowshon can find a way to keep his shoes on we won't miss McGahee too much. Relieved to hear that all starters will be on deck this Saturday, and hopefully everyone will be over the flu by then.

Bronco Rob
01-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Not that the talking heads of Fouts, Simms, Gannon and Beurlein mean anything but they all expect big Denver win except Beurlein. I agree with Gannon that the only way Ravens can win is to get a defensive TD/ST TD and a bunch of TO's.

Their only hope they have is by establishing the run early (o-line is healthy played well on Sunday) eating up the clock by playing mistake free football. I don't forsee any issues for the offense moving up and down the field at will, the Colts had over 400 yards of offense they just sputtered in the red zone. Keeping Manning on the bench and forcing Del Rio to keep the defense honest might make the game close to the Vegas spread. Both Rice and Boldin had big days last week were held in check last game (Boldin was held without a catch for the first time since 2005 Rice under 40 yards on the ground) will be properly motivated but it will not be enough.

ZONA
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Can we all please stop with this stupid nonsense of playing for somebody. It does not propel you to win. Did the Colts not play for Pagano? Sure they did, but it didn't make them win. These are the playoffs, every player will have high emotions one way or the other. That kind of nonsense is right up there with God wanted us to be victorious.

So please, don't be concerned about them "playing for Ray". The only thing that stuff is good for is newspaper articles.

Jetmeck
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Can we all please stop with this stupid nonsense of playing for somebody. It does not propel you to win. Did the Colts not play for Pagano? Sure they did, but it didn't make them win. These are the playoffs, every player will have high emotions one way or the other. That kind of nonsense is right up there with God wanted us to be victorious.

So please, don't be concerned about them "playing for Ray". The only thing that stuff is good for is newspaper articles.

Were you born yesterday or just the day before ?

WTF do you mean emotional motivation does not help a team ?

SlyEli
01-08-2013, 11:05 AM

It only goes so far. The ravens had scored only 3 points until the last drive of the half, it's not like they came out firing on all cylinders

Bmore Manning
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Contradicting yourself. I was at the game, it wasn't lopsided in the first half. Too many people are overlooking the opponent at hand. Funny how most teams win after emotional events.. But they are just newspaper articles right?

DENVERDUI55
01-08-2013, 12:34 PM

I agree and the great Bill Parcells used to always say the bullentin board material/play for whatever reason is for hype leading up to the game. It means absolutely nothing once the ball is kicked off.

Archer81
01-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Dont turn the ball over and end up with more 7's then 3's when you get into the RZ and Denver will win.

Of course, if you score more then they do, you win 99.9% of the time.

:Broncos:

Bronco Boy
01-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Football Outsiders wrote a pretty good piece on what the Ravens strategy should be for this game:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2013/wild-card-quick-reads

Step One: Stop Von Miller
Step Two: Help Michael Oher
Step Three: Avoid passing situations

Only step two really seems possible.

Bronco Yoda
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Weather could be a factor this next weekend. The forecasters are predicting cold weather (20's) with a good possibility of snow flurries.

I think this may hinder Baltimore more than Denver. Moreno has got to be healthy, but I believe the TE's will play a big, big role in the game plan IF the weather is sketchy.

Despite the variables like weather, Denver should dispatch these guys in a game a little closer than some people think, maybe 27-17.

I'm feeling good about PFM preparing for the weather by wearing the glove. Last two games the gloved one has put up a 122.6 Passer Rating. :strong:

Bronco Rob
01-08-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm feeling good about PFM preparing for the weather by wearing the glove. Last two games the gloved one has put up a 122.6 Passer Rating. :strong:

Keep hearing on how Peyton has new never won a cold weather game.

Agamemnon
01-08-2013, 06:39 PM

Everyone is pumped up and motivated in playoff games. Any extra emotional motivation is honestly pretty meaningless.

NickStixx
01-08-2013, 09:18 PM
If the Broncos don't play stupid and turn the ball over, they will win this game just like last time.
The Ravens switched their RT and LT so now Oher is at RT and McKinnie is at LT. We will see what Del Rio decides to do with our edge guys because of this now.
And I think we go right at Ray and make him play, he is slow and sore and tired.
Moreno needs to have a big game again, Manning will be fine, and our TE's and WR's just need to do their jobs.
Our defense did great against them last game, and they haven't changed much besides their line.
Denver 34, Baltimore 20.

Broncobiv
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Football Outsiders wrote a pretty good piece on what the Ravens strategy should be for this game:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2013/wild-card-quick-reads

Step One: Stop Von Miller
Step Two: Help Michael Oher
Step Three: Avoid passing situations

Only step two really seems possible.

LOL! Those are all the same thing!

Step One: Stop Von Miller (stop Von Miller)
Step Two: Help Michael Oher (to stop Von Miller)
Step Three: Avoid passing situations (to stop Von Miller)

Ratboy
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
I don't understand why these ESPN analyst keep saying our previous matchup with the Ravens was closer than the score says.

The Broncos packed up in the 4th Qtr and that's when they scored 2 touchdowns.

Score could have easily been 31 - 3. We smashed them.

Archer81
01-08-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't understand why these ESPN analyst keep saying our previous matchup with the Ravens was closer than the score says.

The Broncos packed up in the 4th Qtr and that's when they scored 2 touchdowns.

Score could have easily been 31 - 3. We smashed them.

Because ESPN did not actually watch the game. Broncos running game was clicking, we chewed up yards and dominated them on defense. Also a way to sell a playoff game.

"Ray Lewis effect"

:Broncos:

Doggcow
01-08-2013, 10:48 PM

THIS. This is the only reason I didn't want to play Balt. They're dirty, and hurt teams that are better than them to try and win.

Doggcow
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Such a dumb ****ing stat too. Since he played in Indy he was always on the road for those games too. **** off ESPN.

Doggcow
01-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Such a dumb ****ing stat too. Since he played in Indy he was always on the road for those games too. **** off ESPN.

Ratboy
01-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Great post. Would read again!

LongDongJohnson
01-09-2013, 02:59 AM

Peyton beat us in the snow back in 2002 so there goes that theory.

Bronco Rob
01-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Peyton beat us in the snow back in 2002 so there goes that theory.

It seems to be a contrived media creation to keep the fans interested. For example before the Packers Vikes game NBC claimed that Joe Webb's last minute start had Dom Capers scrambling.

DBroncos4life
01-09-2013, 01:11 PM
#Ravens Injury Report: Jah Reid (toe), Bernard Pierce (knee) and Vonta Leach (knee/ankle) did not practice today.

NickStixx
01-09-2013, 01:19 PM
#Ravens Injury Report: Jah Reid (toe), Bernard Pierce (knee) and Vonta Leach (knee/ankle) did not practice today.

Wow if Vonta Leach doesn't play, there goes their run game... and if they don't have their run game, like they didn't have last time they played we all saw how Flacco sucks. That would be great if he doesn't play. Even if he does though, I'm not worried.

Bronco Rob
01-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Ravens could be team of destiny

When the Broncos were 4-3, I predicted in this very column that they’d win nine straight games to finish out the year. They did. And they did so in dominant fashion, too, becoming the first team in NFL history to win 10 straight games by at least seven points. Denver was so overpowering over the season’s second half that it’s difficult to recall that back in September, this was a very average team.

Denver was beaten on a Monday night in Atlanta in Week 2, handled at home by the Texans in Week 4 and outcoached and outmanned by the Patriots in Week 5. Since that Week 5 game against New England, I hate to break this — they haven’t really played anyone.

Outside of Baltimore and Cincinnati — two teams that were struggling mightily prior to facing Denver — the Broncos’ opponents since Week 5 had a combined record of 32-64 this season. Sweeping the NFC North or the NFC East is a major accomplishment. A statement. Beating Oakland, Kansas City, and San Diego twice isn’t exactly sacking Rome.

Since that stretch, Denver’s opponents haven’t exactly been Murderer’s Row. Yes, they blew all these teams out. And sure, Manning and the defense looked as good as they had all season against the Ravens in Week 15. But Baltimore’s been tested and knocked around over the past few months. They’ve been in close games. They’ve been forced to dig deep and pull victories out. They had to beat a good Giants team in a must-win game and did. They had to beat a hot Colts team a week ago and did.

The Ravens are no doubt battle tested. Denver? They’ve been in cruise control since October. If Saturday’s game is close in the second half, are we certain the Broncos will respond under pressure? I know Baltimore’s been through those wars this year. Denver? Eh, it feels like it’s been decades since they’ve faced any sort of adversity. For the first time all season, Baltimore’s actually healthy on defense, too. With the exception of Lardarius Webb and potentially linebacker Danell Elerbee, all of Baltimore’s key defensive stars will be in action, ready to go. Last Sunday’s 24-9 win over the Colts marked the only game this season that the Baltimore defense had Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, and Ed Reed in the lineup together. They all played well. Younger veterans Paul Kruger and Corey Graham played even better.

Baltimore isn’t supposed to win Saturday’s game in Denver. If Las Vegas sportsbooks are any sort of indication, this game’s not even supposed to be close. But I covered a Steelers team that rode a veteran’s last ride into Indianapolis and beat Peyton Manning in the 2005 divisional round. I covered a Giants team last year that waltzed into Lambeau and Salsa danced out as victors. I was in that Ravens locker room on Sunday. There was a certain unity — a certain desperation — that reminded me of both of those teams.

I could be wrong. It wouldn’t be the first time.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Cheat-Sheet-Baltimore-Ravens-Denver-Broncos-Divisional-Round-preview-010713

What a crock of crap, just like their saying Manning is wearing glove because his hand hurts went it is cold out. They'll do anything to make this a more compelling match up.

:thumbsdow

cutthemdown
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
The key is meeting the FB in the hole and stopping Rice. I just don't see there passing game hurting our defense more then a couple drives. If they don't get big plays from Ray Rice i don't think they can beat us.

Doggcow
01-09-2013, 07:26 PM
If Leach is out we're probably running away with this.

Bronco Rob
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
After chatting with some Raven fans they seem to be under the impression that Lewis and Suggs are 100% healthy this time around. Caldwell will have a better gameplan because last game was only his first at the helm citing the following weeks game vs the Giants.

Kaylore
01-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Great post. Would read again!

I did!

Mediator12
01-10-2013, 10:20 AM
After chatting with some Raven fans they seem to be under the impression that Lewis and Suggs are 100% healthy this time around. Caldwell will have a better gameplan because last game was only his first at the helm citing the following weeks game vs the Giants.

We shall see. IMHO its wishful thinking on how their team could go into DEN and have a realistic chance. I do not think BAL can come into DEN and beat us. However, I pray that we do not beat ourselves like we did several times earlier in the year. BAL does not really have the matchups to beat DEN and their LB corp is still beat up. Add in the No huddle in DEN and several of those healthy players being out of game shape and I like our chances. DEN will score TD's unlike INDY did and I am not sure BAL can manufacture enough points to beat us if we are running on all cylinders.

CEH
01-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Prediction Machine. Interesting dude who has been running simulations all year
Likes Denver 28-17 this weekend and the top odds to win the Super Bowl

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/01/10/prediction-machine-makes-nfl-divisional-round-picks/

SonOfLe-loLang
01-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Just out of curiosity:

In the regular season, the team coming off the bye week is considered rested and ready

In the playoffs, they will be rusty.

Can someone give me one good reason why?

TonyR
01-10-2013, 11:07 AM

There might be something to the Caldwell thing, but Lewis and Suggs certainly aren't "100%" healthy. Particularly Lewis who didn't play well last week despite the misleading tackle numbers. There's a reason he's retiring: he's lost more than a step and is a shadow of his former self.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
There might be something to the Caldwell thing, but Lewis and Suggs certainly aren't "100%" healthy. Particularly Lewis who didn't play well last week despite the misleading tackle numbers. There's a reason he's retiring: he's lost more than a step and is a shadow of his former self.

And Suggs is hobbled by an achilles. I dont even remember his name being called in the Indy game. But according to some, Paul Kruger has turned into Von Miller...except better, so no worries

TonyR
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
And Suggs is hobbled by an achilles. I dont even remember his name being called in the Indy game. But according to some, Paul Kruger has turned into Von Miller...except better, so no worries

I recall him disrupting Luck a couple of times (the stats credit him with 2 QB hits) but no, he's clearly not 100%.

Rohirrim
01-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Just out of curiosity:

In the regular season, the team coming off the bye week is considered rested and ready

In the playoffs, they will be rusty.

Can someone give me one good reason why?

Marketing.

Mediator12
01-10-2013, 12:36 PM

Kruger is the real deal. He is not at the class of Von miller, but he is close to being as solid as Dumervil as a pass rusher and he plays the run much better.

However, he is not as good as a healthy Suggs so DEN will get some pressure, but Peyton is damn good at getting the ball out on time so i have very few worries there.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
im shure Ray the BLOODY BLADE Lewis will sack manning 50 times and intercept Manning oh say 80 times for pick 6 x 80.
it will be a blood bath just like the time Ray Lewis did not stab 2 people to death along with 2 of his thug friends
that is why we will lose to the ravens
the colts i mean the Broncos have to travel to Baltimore and play in a hostile environment with A rookie QB and disarray on the offense since our cordinator is in the hospital.
oh im sorry silly me we dont got a ROOKIE QB, WE ARE PLAYING AT MILE HIGH , 5280 FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL, A SOLD OUT MILE HIGH STADIUM 76,125 fans screaming their heads off every time the ravens are on the field
A DEFENSE THATS PLAYING VERY WELL,
PEYTON MANNING so tell me raven murder fail fans HOW JUST HOW WILL WE LOSE.
the holidays are over we will not give you any Christmas gifts in the form of turnovers .you are playing in PEYTONS HOUSE NOW . so please enjoy your loss and retirement Ray human garbage loser i mean Lewis

SleepingTiger
01-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I did!

i did too, several times!

TonyR
01-10-2013, 12:55 PM
However, he is not as good as a healthy Suggs so DEN will get some pressure, but Peyton is damn good at getting the ball out on time so i have very few worries there.

I recall they blew us up a few times in the first half last game, particularly on one series where I think they sacked Manning twice. I don't recall what the issue was (I assume the interior of the O-line, but don't know whether or not they were blitzes) or how we adjusted but I remember being concerned at that point and then it wasn't much of an issue for most of the rest of the game.

I just checked and Manning was never sacked twice in one series. He was sacked twice total (both in the first half) and hit 5 times.

gyldenlove
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Kruger is the real deal. He is not at the class of Von miller, but he is close to being as solid as Dumervil as a pass rusher and he plays the run much better.

Suggs is still feeling the effects of his injury, this is not defensive player of the year Terrell Suggs we are facing, it is just good defender Terrell Suggs and there is a hell of a difference between those two guys. Kruger is good, but he has been held without a sack in 8 games this year, Dumervil has been shut out 7 times this year. The difference being of course that the Ravens gave up nearly twice as many sacks this year as the Broncos, so expect Kruger to struggle more than Dumervil.

The Baltimore secondary is vulnerable and even though Ray Lewis is a heck of a leader, he is not much worth in pass coverage so expect to see a lot of Tamme and Dreesen down the middle to keep the linebackers at bay.

DBroncos4life
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe (ankle) was once again a limited participant in practice.
WRs Torrey Smith (back) and David Reed (thigh) were both added to the injury report as limited participants.
RB Bernard Pierce and FB Vonta Leach both returned to practice today as limited participants.
The only player who sat our practice today was guard Jah Reid (toe)

DENVERDUI55
01-10-2013, 12:57 PM

Kruger is the real deal and his brother will be a first day pick when he comes out. They come from a football family for sure and I wanted Denver to consider Paul Kruger but figured you would have to take him high after he dominated Alabama in the sugar bowl a few years ago.

Bronco Rob
01-10-2013, 10:28 PM
The more you look at the match up, the less likely this game will be even close. Despite the incessant chripping of the ratbirds and their fans.

Bronco Rob
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Two days before the divisional playoff game at Denver, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Torrey Smith was added to Thursday's injury report. He was limited in practice with a back injury.

Fullback Vonta Leach (knee and ankle) and backup running back Bernard Pierce (knee) were limited Thursday after not practicing the previous day. Guard Jah Reid (toe) missed his second straight day of practice.

For the second straight day, there were 12 Ravens listed who had full participation, including wide receiver Anquan Boldin (shoulder), linebackers Ray Lewis (triceps) and Terrell Suggs (achilles and bicep), defensive tackle Haloti Ngata (knee), safety Ed Reed (shoulder) and guard Marshal Yanda (shoulder).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/63255/ravens-torrey-smith-added-to-injury-report

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
we cant win we going to get blown out we have no hope vs the mighty ravens they didnt have Ray cuts with a knife loser but now hes back we got no hope he is going to murder Denver saturday just like how he murdered those 2 people at a night club years ago with his friends

NUB
01-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Ravens don't scare me at all. The only way I see them winning is through special teams, which is the real threat to Denver. If our punt returners start fumbling balls again, and their returners get good gains or even a TD, it's a wildly different ballgame. That aside, Denver is superior to Baltimore at almost every single position on the field.

Bronco Rob
01-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Ravens don't scare me at all. The only way I see them winning is through special teams, which is the real threat to Denver. If our punt returners start fumbling balls again, and their returners get good gains or even a TD, it's a wildly different ballgame. That aside, Denver is superior to Baltimore at almost every single position on the field.

They're banged up, used up all of that "last ride" mojo beating the Colts. It will be raining hammers upon the ratbirds on Saturday!

Broncosman
01-11-2013, 03:46 AM

great analysis ...really hope we would win at last

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I'm not liking the weather. If it snows it favors the ravens big time. Our passing game relys on timely cut routes that don't happen in the snow. Moreno would lose a shoe on every play. Ravens have RBs that can produce in slop. We don't. If its a snow game it limits manning(0-3 in sub 40 weather). The defense would need to win the game.

This is a relatively easy win for the broncos under good weather conditions. Bad weather closes the gap on the teams.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm not liking the weather. If it snows it favors the ravens big time. Our passing game relys on timely cut routes that don't happen in the snow. Moreno would lose a shoe on every play. Ravens have RBs that can produce in slop. We don't. If its a snow game it limits manning(0-3 in sub 40 weather). The defense would need to win the game.

This is a relatively easy win for the broncos under good weather conditions. Bad weather closes the gap on the teams.

Snow doesn't necessarily favor them, receivers have advantages in the snow because they are the ones that know where they are going. I know thats counter intuitive to some, but unless its hard driving snow, it shouldnt be a problem.

What bothers me is it looks like it'll be a high of 17 friggin degrees. That's ****ing cold. That's bothersome cold. And yes, it bothers me when Peyton says he needs to wear a glove to grip in the cold. Maybe itll have no effect whatsoever, but its worrisome.

but as i said before, maybe Bryant McKinnie will be too cold to bend over and block doom all day :)

LetsGoBroncos
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Snow doesn't necessarily favor them, receivers have advantages in the snow because they are the ones that know where they are going. I know thats counter intuitive to some, but unless its hard driving snow, it shouldnt be a problem.

What bothers me is it looks like it'll be a high of 17 friggin degrees. That's ****ing cold. That's bothersome cold. And yes, it bothers me when Peyton says he needs to wear a glove to grip in the cold. Maybe itll have no effect whatsoever, but its worrisome.

but as i said before, maybe Bryant McKinnie will be too cold to bend over and block doom all day :)

Most forecasts are saying partly sunny, very mild wind (5-7 mph) and a very slight chance of some snow. I'm not that worried about it. I just saw a couple that said it could get into the high 20's. But even 20 degrees with no wind or snow won't be much of a factor

SonOfLe-loLang
01-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Most forecasts are saying partly sunny, very mild wind (5-7 mph) and a very slight chance of some snow. I'm not that worried about it. I just saw a couple that said it could get into the high 20's. But even 20 degrees with no wind or snow won't be much of a factor

Thats true, if there's no wind, it wont be awful awful.

TonyR
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
Barnwell's take:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8831246/bill-barnwell-saturday-slate-nfl-playoff-games

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Manning, Warner, Marino all said snow really slows down pass rush and gives WR advantage over DB. I agree since I have watched Jerry porter and Manning himself light us up in a heavy snow.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
You guys have eased my worries a bit about the weather. Lets just hope there's no wind

Bronco Rob
01-11-2013, 10:09 AM
Barnwell's take:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8831246/bill-barnwell-saturday-slate-nfl-playoff-games

Good grief is that guy wishy washy but he still had the Broncos winning by double digits.

Cito Pelon
01-11-2013, 12:37 PM
Balt has a good team, but they need so much to go right for them to win. Probably their only chance is Denver gets a case of the yips and a bad play compounds into two or three bad plays by multiple players.

I don't see that happening. Denver has what I'd characterize as a calm and steady coaching staff in Fox, Del Rio, McCoy, Studesville, Magazu, Smith, Milus, et al. They have solid long-time vet leadership throughout all three phases with Champ, Peyton, Bruton, Brooking, Kuper, Clady, Elvis, Vickerson, Bannan, Prater, Colquitt, Koppen, Stokley.

Denver is a young team in many places, but a lot of those young guys had playoff experience last year - Harris, Miller, Decker, DThomas, Beadles, Franklin, Ayers, Woodyard.

We might see some O plays put in for guys the Ravens haven't seen much from, Virgil Green, Holliday, even Matt Willis (he does seem to get the yips, though). Denver has had two weeks to work on some exotic situational plays so maybe we'll see some if the situation arises.

DENVERDUI55
01-11-2013, 07:06 PM
If Leach is out we're probably running away with this.

The Ravens struggled running against Denver last time out of the lead I. Their Run game was much better out of shotgun and spreading the D out letting Rice and the other guy pick the holes.

Bronco Rob
01-11-2013, 11:14 PM
The Ravens struggled running against Denver last time out of the lead I. Their Run game was much better out of shotgun and spreading the D out letting Rice and the other guy pick the holes.

Not going to happen with the crowd noise.

DENVERDUI55
01-12-2013, 05:16 AM
Not going to happen with the crowd noise.

They can huddle and run out of shotgun dispute crowd noise.

cmhargrove
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM

I agree that Kruger is the real deal, and Suggs is slightly diminished right now. What I do find interesting however, is why none of us is mentioning Ngata any more. Over the past couple years, he might have been the greatest force on their line, which leads to many of the big plays on the edge for Suggs.

Did we just do a good job on Ngata last game? Is he injured? Or, is he just declining? When the Ravens defense was at its best the past few years, I was always using Ngata's performance as my barometer. Not so much any more.

Bronco Rob
01-12-2013, 08:05 AM
They can huddle and run out of shotgun dispute crowd noise.

They still won't be able to audible.

DENVERDUI55
01-12-2013, 08:12 AM
They still won't be able to audible.

Well they will there are hand signals and this isn't the first noisy stadium they have played in. Yes it will be more difficult but back to orginal post the Ravens struggled running out of the lead I and had more success running out of spread formations. I expect more running attempts out of shotgun and spread formations today.

Bronco Rob
01-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Well they will there are hand signals and this isn't the first noisy stadium they have played in. Yes it will be more difficult but back to orginal post the Ravens struggled running out of the lead I and had more success running out of spread formations. I expect more running attempts out of shotgun and spread formations today.

We shall see.

oubronco
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c0.0.851.315/p851x315/538436_10151066895094751_1518857654_n.jpg

broncocalijohn
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Flacco in away games:

Seems we aren't this cocky as we were in this thread.

Arkie
01-06-2014, 01:42 PM
Probably a 0, maybe a 1