PDA

View Full Version : Why Peyton Manning Should Run Away With NFL MVP Award

Gutless Drunk
01-05-2013, 07:49 AM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/voting-history-why-peyton-manning-should-run-away-with-nfl-mvp-award/20626/

It would be very easy to just list a ton of statistics from Manningís season, as he looks to win a fifth MVP award. Manning rewrote the Denver record books for passing in his first season. He had a lot of numbers that were among the best heís ever had in a career full of elite seasons. We will point out a few of them, but first letís focus on the main argument for Manning as MVP.

Most value-added impact. No player had a bigger impact on his team, and while part of that is the value of the quarterback position, the fact is no quarterback changes the culture of an entire team more than Manning. He leaves an imprint on his teamís performances, demanding consistent perfection.

Manning essentially changed the Denver Broncos into the Denver Colts, and the transformation was completed quicker than anyone expected.

Manning won at least 13 games in a season under a fourth head coach (John Fox) in his career. No other quarterback in NFL history has won more than 13 games with more than two coaches.

Denver scored 481 points (second most in the league). Demaryius Thomas (1,434 yards, 10 TD) and Eric Decker (1,064 yards, 13 TD) have stats that look like Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne circa 2004-2006. Denver went from 30th in third-down conversions last year to No. 3 this season.

This all comes a year after the Broncos struggled to an 8-8 record and played a prehistoric style of offense with Tim Tebow. Denver went from the most run-heavy offense in football to a high-volume, high-efficiency passing attack that Manning has mastered for years

At times, he looks as good as ever, just months after some questioned if he could ever play again.

Last season the Broncos were blown out badly by several opponents. This season they fell behind by 20+ points four times early in the season, but still made a game of it behind Manning, who made them believe they could win these games. They even did pull off a 24-point comeback in San Diego on the night Manning broke the record for fourth-quarter comebacks.

Denverís 3-1 record at fourth-quarter comeback opportunities was the best percentage in the league this season. Manning has not trailed in the fourth quarter in the last eight games.

The end result this regular season is a 13-3 record, the Super Bowl favorite, and an 11-game winning streak. That is quite the improvement after a year in which Denver won the AFC West on a three team tiebreaker, and had the worst scoring differential (-81) for an 8-8 team in NFL history.

This season Denver outscored opponents by 192 points, which is the third biggest improvement in the 16-game era. It also matches the scoring differential for the 1998 Denver Broncos (best team in franchise history) and 2005 Indianapolis Colts (Manning again)...

Read more at: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/content/voting-history-why-peyton-manning-should-run-away-with-nfl-mvp-award/20626/

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 08:14 AM
holy god damn mother ****ing **** that is a good article!

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 08:51 AM
This conveys much of what I have said all along.. I wonder if the voters will see it this way..

gunns
01-05-2013, 09:13 AM
I was going to post that also, just read it. Everyone keeps throwing out that the Broncos made the playoffs last year, but the Broncos were only 8-8, and hadn't won 11 in a row. He should win MVP and Petersen should win Comeback. It is remarkable that he got the rushing yardage he did after the injury he had.

TheChamp24
01-05-2013, 09:20 AM
What I don't like are the people pushing Rodgers and Brady for MVP. It may be a bit homerism, but I don't see how either of them did anything more amazing than what Manning did.
I really think Manning will win MVP, Peterson is the OPOY.

Patriot 37
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
What I don't like are the people pushing Rodgers and Brady for MVP. It may be a bit homerism, but I don't see how either of them did anything more amazing than what Manning did.
I really think Manning will win MVP, Peterson is the OPOY.

After last weekend, I can't see how Peterson doesn't get it. Manning, Brady and Rogers had their typical years. If an average QB was on the Broncos say Flacco you still win 10 games (hell you won 8 with Tebow and a worse D). If Steven Ridley is the Vikings RB they win 4 or 5 games. Honestly, if you look at what Rogers did with a injured riddled team and a mediocre D he IMO is the best QB in the NFL. Somewhere, losing to the 3 toughest opponents you faced has to hurt Manning.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 10:50 AM
After last weekend, I can't see how Peterson doesn't get it. Manning, Brady and Rogers had their typical years. If an average QB was on the Broncos say Flacco you still win 10 games (hell you won 8 with Tebow and a worse D). If Steven Ridley is the Vikings RB they win 4 or 5 games. Honestly, if you look at what Rogers did with a injured riddled team and a mediocre D he IMO is the best QB in the NFL. Somewhere, losing to the 3 toughest opponents you faced has to hurt Manning.

Funny how all Patriot fans want Peterson to get the award, anyone but Peyton. Your post means nothing of insight, you fans are pathetic. I saw that clown Rodney Harrison do the same thing on SNF, I bet if it were Brady and Peterson it would be Brady no doubt.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-05-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm sorry I didn't realize Brady and Rogers were out the entire 2011 season. Only Peterson should be in the conversation. Brady plays a weak schedule every year and people are talking about the broncos schedule? How about your team didnt even beat ONE team with a winning record until the championship game.

TheChamp24
01-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Its this **** right here that pisses me off.
Last year was a god damn ****ing fluke of a season for the Broncos. Freakin miracle wins, everybody knows that, it was fun, but a fluke.
Manning came here, in a new team with new players, and transformed this team to the #1 team in the AFC losing to 3 of the top teams in football, 2 on the road, by 6 points, 6 points and 10 points while completely dominating everybody else they played in a sense.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-05-2013, 12:57 PM

I'm not sure how many times i can say this, but this is beyond wrong.

Last year's Broncos 8-8 (which snuck into the playoffs because of the third tie breaker in an epically bad division) had a -81 point differential. The worst ever for an 8-8 team. This year's broncos? +191. There was basically ONE difference between last years team and this years?

Peyton Manning.

From a team that was lucky to be 8-8, to the super bowl front runner.

It's ABSURD if he doesnt get it.

SeedReaver
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure how many times i can say this, but this is beyond wrong.

Last year's Broncos 8-8 (which snuck into the playoffs because of the third tie breaker in an epically bad division) had a -81 point differential. The worst ever for an 8-8 team. This year's broncos? +191. There was basically ONE difference between last years team and this years?

Peyton Manning.

From a team that was lucky to be 8-8, to the super bowl front runner.

It's ABSURD if he doesnt get it.
I agree, but would add JDR in there somewhere as well. Went from like 22nd ranked D to #4-ish (can't remember exact rankings). Not saying a lot of that isn't due to the severe decrease in 3-and-outs from Tebow to Peyton, but JDR, as well as getting rid of Andre Goodman, has made their mark on this team as well.

Play2win
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
I think Peyton hit the ground running, like nobody ever has before in the NFL.

ant1999e
01-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Funny how all Patriot fans want Peterson to get the award, anyone but Peyton. Your post means nothing of insight, you fans are pathetic. I saw that clown Rodney Harrison do the same thing on SNF, I bet if it were Brady and Peterson it would be Brady no doubt.

Hypocrisy at it's finest. Imagine Bmore Manning voting for Manning.:homer:
Manning had a great year and I take nothing away from him but I wouldn't be upset if AP got MVP. 8 yards shy of the record and the playoffs. One should get comeback player and the other mvp.

Atwater His Ass
01-05-2013, 03:15 PM
The reason the Vikings got into the playoffs is because Ponder actually showed up for a few games down the stretch, not because of Peterson. Even when Peterson was dominating games, Minnesota was still losing games. I'm not even sure AP was the Vikings MVP, let alone the league. Should probably be a slam dunk for offensive player of the year though.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 03:42 PM
It's really hard to argue against Manning getting his 5th MVP. Adrian Peterson has been amazing in many ways this season but he only scored 12 TDs (less than Eric Decker).

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Hypocrisy at it's finest. Imagine Bmore Manning voting for Manning.:homer:
Manning had a great year and I take nothing away from him but I wouldn't be upset if AP got MVP. 8 yards shy of the record and the playoffs. One should get comeback player and the other mvp.

I truly don't think Peterson is the NFLs MVP. Percy Harvin was getting all that same talk when he was playing. People don't realize Ponder picked up the slack when Peterson couldn't get it done verse playoff teams, see 49ers and Texans. And their defense played great down the stretch...

Ponder isn't playing tonight so if Peterson really carries this team then they will beat Green Bay tonight!

TheChamp24
01-05-2013, 04:03 PM
I truly don't think Peterson is the NFLs MVP. Percy Harvin was getting all that same talk when he was playing. People don't realize Ponder picked up the slack when Peterson couldn't get it done verse playoff teams, see 49ers and Texans. And their defense played great down the stretch...

Ponder isn't playing tonight so if Peterson really carries this team then they will beat Green Bay tonight!

Dude...what. I was at the Texans game, and the Texans had NO respect for Ponder, they literally had 11 men within 7 yards of the LOS. Their goal was to shut down Peterson, he was such a threat that it opened up passing game enough for the Vikings to win, plus Peterson STILL had 85 yards on the ground in that game. Averaging 85 yards a game btw equals a season total of 1,360 yards, pretty damn good. Heck, he did that in the 49ers game too.
2 games against the Packers, over 400 yards rushing with 2 TD's.
Seattle, 180 yards and 2 TD's.
Washington, 79 yards and 17 carries with 50 receiving yards, a good outing there.
2 games against a tough Bears defense, almost 300 total yards and 2 TD's

NickStixx
01-05-2013, 04:10 PM
People are getting Best Offensive Player, and Most Valuable Player confused during all these discussions I've been hearing all week long.
Peyton Manning is the MVP
Adrian Peterson is the Offensive Player of the Year.

Why? Because Peyton literally transformed an entire team. The reason our defense is a top 5 defense has some to do with Jack Del Rio, but a lot to do with Peyton giving our team a lead and forcing teams to play catch up. Hence getting Von and Dumervil more sack opportunities, all ours CB's more INT opportunities. Knowshon Moreno is playing better now because teams have to account more for Manning in the pass.
Not to mention it's like having an offensive coordinator on the field at QB the entire time.

AP has been phenomenal, but he doesn't make the whole team better like Peyton Manning does.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Dude...what. I was at the Texans game, and the Texans had NO respect for Ponder, they literally had 11 men within 7 yards of the LOS. Their goal was to shut down Peterson, he was such a threat that it opened up passing game enough for the Vikings to win, plus Peterson STILL had 85 yards on the ground in that game. Averaging 85 yards a game btw equals a season total of 1,360 yards, pretty damn good. Heck, he did that in the 49ers game too.
2 games against the Packers, over 400 yards rushing with 2 TD's.
Seattle, 180 yards and 2 TD's.
Washington, 79 yards and 17 carries with 50 receiving yards, a good outing there.
2 games against a tough Bears defense, almost 300 total yards and 2 TD's

Do you have a point I'm missing?

ant1999e
01-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Using that logic, we lost to three top playoff teams...

ant1999e
01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
People are getting Best Offensive Player, and Most Valuable Player confused during all these discussions I've been hearing all week long.
Peyton Manning is the MVP
Adrian Peterson is the Offensive Player of the Year.

Why? Because Peyton literally transformed an entire team. The reason our defense is a top 5 defense has some to do with Jack Del Rio, but a lot to do with Peyton giving our team a lead and forcing teams to play catch up. Hence getting Von and Dumervil more sack opportunities, all ours CB's more INT opportunities. Knowshon Moreno is playing better now because teams have to account more for Manning in the pass.
Not to mention it's like having an offensive coordinator on the field at QB the entire time.

AP has been phenomenal, but he doesn't make the whole team better like Peyton Manning does.

I can dig this.

Irish Stout
01-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Sure sure... did you read the article?

errand
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
As far as comeback player award goes....Peterson's career was not in jeopardy. Nobody expected 2,100 yards rushing, but you knew he would come back from it. Peyton on the other hand...his advanced age and 4 surgeries had people debating whether or not he'd ever play again.....

As for MVP...again, Manning changed the entire culture in Denver, given he took over a new team, with new offense (he did add some of his plays from Indy), and elevating his team to be the favorite to play in SB.

Just look at the pre-season odds of Vikings and Broncos to represent their respective conferences in SB.....I'm willing to bet that knowing Peterson coming back didn't affect the Vikings odds as much as the Broncos odds were affected after signing Manning.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 04:56 PM
Using that logic, we lost to three top playoff teams...

There a reason you keep coming at me?

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I didn't know after that pretty well written article I had to add to it, otherwise fellow posters would give me **** for saying Peterson doesn't deserve it.

Like I said, Ponder is inactive, let's see if Peterson can CARRY them like people say.

ant1999e
01-05-2013, 05:13 PM
There a reason you keep coming at me?

You were a bit of a hypocritical dick in post 7. I just think we as Broncos fans and you as a Manning fan shouldn't let our biases cloud our judgement.

DBroncos4life
01-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Should Peterson get dinged because he goes out on passing downs? I kind of think he should, I mean you would think the NFL MVP would give you your best chance to continue the drive.

Honestly I think they should split both the awards.

Aftermath
01-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Peterson deserves it, I've said it all along. No other rb like him. There's other qbs like Manning.

Aftermath
01-05-2013, 05:24 PM
It's not most valuable QB. Minnesota might win one game without Peterson. Our defense is top 5, special teams top 5. Sure Manning helps make our defense a bit better. Minnesota has NOTHING without Peterson.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 06:06 PM
You were a bit of a hypocritical dick in post 7. I just think we as Broncos fans and you as a Manning fan shouldn't let our biases cloud our judgement.

I can make a well articulated argument as to why Manning deserves it and not Peterson.. But after that article I didn't think it was necessary. But if it makes me less of a dick, I would be more than happy to share.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
1. Peyton couldn't even throw a ball a little less than a year ago. He was playing catch with his wife because he was so embarrassed of where he was physically.

2. The man is 36 years old, most of the doctors doubted the nerves in his arm would regenerate. As you get older some of you are aware your recovery time is double what it used to be with recovery from a workout, let alone an injury.

3. He is playing on a new team, in a new system, with new coaches, new players, all new variables, doctors, surroundings, and things that he needed to adjust to.

4. He led this new team to a 13-3 record, the number one seed, a first round playoff bye, and turned them into the hottest team, which is the favorite to win the SB!

5. He didn't just get this team to the playoffs, the day he signed he made them a SB favorite.

6. He also makes everyone around him better, holding coaches and players accountable for bettering themselves. Players study and work harder and want to be better and have to live to his standard. Coaches have to work harder to keep up with the greatest football mind to ever get behind center.

7. He makes the defense better by allowing them to pin their ears back and utilize the strengths of what they do, pass rush!

8. Practicing against him makes the defense enhance the level of practice and perpetration getting the best out of players and in turn coaching defensive players on how to handle each situation.

9. He revives the careers of retired players, benched players, and under performing players.

10. He is responsible for 24 players on the Broncos having their best statistical seasons of their careers.

11. He makes everyone believe in themselves and in him, that they can go out and win any game, no matter the score.

We aren't even at stats yet, and I haven't even talked about Peterson, would you like me to continue?

Armchair Bronco
01-05-2013, 06:42 PM
GB leads Minnesota @ the half in the Wild Card game, 17 to 3.

Enough said. Manning needs to get the MVP.

ant1999e
01-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for comeback POY. BTW, we had a pretty good defense and running game before manning.
Does he deserve it? Yes. But I'm not such a homer to totally disregard AP and attack anyone who disagrees with me.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
It's not most valuable QB. Minnesota might win one game without Peterson. Our defense is top 5, special teams top 5. Sure Manning helps make our defense a bit better. Minnesota has NOTHING without Peterson.

That's just stupid. You don't win 10 games simply because you have a 2,000 yard rusher.

lonestar
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Sounds like a perfect candidate for comeback POY. BTW, we had a pretty good defense and running game before manning.
Does he deserve it? Yes. But I'm not such a homer to totally disregard AP and attack anyone who disagrees with me.

IIRC he went down in the last game of the year late in in the game.

Not like he missed the season or anything.

I'm not taking anything away from his accomplishments but not come back POY.

Bmore Manning
01-05-2013, 06:59 PM

I don't disregard AP, every Patriot fan believes its Peterson and its not close, but if it was Brady involved, they would argue non stop for him. Rodney Harrison said as much on SNF that Peterson deserves it hands down. So I was throwing out any junk a patriot fan would say, just like I'm sure you did because I'm a Manning fan.

When I talked about Peterson, I was saying facts..
1. Fact Harvin was the MVP of Minny before he got hurt.
2. Ponder has played better than the credit he's given.
3. The defense has played better than credit they are given.
4. AP has 12 TDs, I'm pretty sure that's nowhere near enough to win games.
5. AP is most successful running outside, particularly to the left, where the play of new LT Matt Kalil should be recognized.
6. AP doesn't make everyone around him better.
7. Peterson sure isn't carrying them in this game, an MVP should be able to make a real difference.

Nwp-Apap
01-05-2013, 07:04 PM
At this point it looks like Christian Ponder is more valuable to the Vikings than Peterson.

Manning should win this in a landslide, and rightfully so. A QB should always win MVP, as QB is the most valuable position on a football team, and the best QB in any given year is the most valuable player there is.

I don't see how anyone could honestly make an argument for Peterson winning the award. They got too wrapped up in him coming close to ED's record.

Put Manning on the Vikings and Peterson on the Broncos and we're worse and the Vikings are better.

spdirty
01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
I really don't care about the individual awards. Sure I'd like to see Manning get the MVP, but I'd like to see him get Super Bowl MVP even more.

troya900
01-05-2013, 09:14 PM

I never really understood this logic as support for Peterson. So assuming Peterson didn't play they have a few wins and he turns them into a mediocre team sqeaking into the playoffs that got blown out in the first game.

Now look at Manning and he took a mediocre 8-8 team that barely squeaked into the playoffs to a team that is the number one seed and superbowl favorites.

Now reading those two statements which do you think sounds more impressive? Raising your team to mediocre status or raising your team to elite status and superbowl favorites? I don't know about you, but the choice to me is simple.

Bronco X
01-06-2013, 12:19 AM
At this point it looks like Christian Ponder is more valuable to the Vikings than Peterson.

That's an overstatement, but I do agree it's apparent that whatever unremarkable assets Ponder brought weren't given enough credit for the Vikings success this season. Ponder has been particularly maligned in arguments in favor of Peterson as MVP (i.e. Peterson has carried a team into the playoffs with an incompetent deadbeat as a QB). Not that Ponder is a QB of the future obviously but the Vikings with Webb and Peterson probably would have won about as many games as they would have with Ponder and an average running back.

Put Manning on the Vikings and Peterson on the Broncos and we're worse and the Vikings are better.

Agreed.

Bacchus
01-06-2013, 02:37 AM
It's really hard to argue against Manning getting his 5th MVP. Adrian Peterson has been amazing in many ways this season but he only scored 12 TDs (less than Eric Decker).

In 1998 TD ran for 2,008 yards, played on a 14-2 team and scord 23 TDs and he did not win MVP.

The only way Manning does not win it is if the voters think he has won it enough.

broncofever
01-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, would this discussion be different if Peyton did this with the Colts rather than Denver? Personally I think it's more impressive with the broncos given the change of team, system, personnel, stadium and altitude even, but is there a bias that would favor Manning more had he stayed with the Colts or is the MVP more likely because he's in Denver?

CEH
01-06-2013, 07:00 AM
In 1998 TD ran for 2,008 yards, played on a 14-2 team and scord 23 TDs and he did not win MVP.

The only way Manning does not win it is if the voters think he has won it enough.

TD did win the MVP in 1998

Drek
01-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Holy **** that article in insulting to the entire rest of the Denver Broncos.

So Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker putting up Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne numbers is entirely a product of Manning? They're both damn good players in their own right in only their third season in the league. Manning's success this year isn't a product of Manning alone, these two guys have done a lot to help him out and this attitude that Manning is 100% responsible for their success instead of seeing it for the symbiotic relationship it is degrades their contributions.

The 8-8 to 13-3 jump also completely ignores the massive improvement in our defense from a middling squad with a few playmakers to an elite group with stars paired with damn good starters almost across the board. Miller took his DROY 2011 season and turned it up a few notches for 2012. Doom looked even better in 2012 than he did in 2011. Woodyard had a massive step forward. Chris Harris broke through like a beast. Raheem Moore has grown by leaps and bounds. Wolfe and Ayers are an impressive strong side DE tandem. And lets not forget Champ holding father time at bay with apparent ease.

These guys are a big part of why this team improved, not just Manning.

Lets also not overlook the improved TE play from FA signings, the step forward we've seen both Zane Beadles and Orlando Franklin take, and the gradual return to form of Ryan Clady.

Willis McGahee was playing some of the best football of his career before getting hurt and Knowshon Moreno is playing hands down the best football of his career now in place of him.

This team's success is the product of all of the above.

Meanwhile the single biggest difference the Vikings have seen between their 2011 3-13 season and their 10-6 2012 season was Peterson. Not just getting back from his ACL tear but then having one of the single most dominant RB seasons ever with little to no passing game to back him up.

MVP is a single season award for the most valuable player over a 16 game span. Without Manning the Broncos were likely a playoff team still. Without Peterson the Vikings are trying to decide who they pick in the top 5 of next year's draft. This shouldn't even be hard and if Manning wins it they should just formally announce that it's a QBs only award.

Want a good stat to highlight it? In Terrell Davis' 1998 MVP season he had the following stat line with an all world team around him:
2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
125.5 yards per game
15 20+ yard runs
6 40+ yard runs

Adrian Peterson on a weak Vikings team with no other superstar on offense to help him out:
2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
131.1 yards per game
27 20+ yard runs
8 40+ yard runs

Now I thin TD was the clear cut MVP in 1998, but thinking that I can't see how I could rationally argue that thinking Peterson trumping TD's '98 season pretty much across the board. Manning's numbers are better than any QB achieved in '98, sure, but the same could be said of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. If the MVP is anything other than a QB only award it's got to go to Peterson after putting up the greatest running back's season we've seen to date.

ScottXray
01-06-2013, 10:13 AM

Percy Harvin carried that team the first 5-6 games and Peterson was pedestrianfor them. When Harvin went down THEN Peterson started his run.

while Peterson is the MVP of the vikings the MVP award is for the MVP for the whole season, over the whole season, and he has only been in that class for the last 10 games of the regular season. Ponder also was a big part of that offense for the last 4 games and without him Peterson could not be effective
all by himself.

Manning , Brady and Rogers have all been more valuable to their teams then
Peterson and over a larger percentage of the season.

Maybe Peterson can get Offensive player....not MVP and Not comeback ( definitely Manning for that).

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
That's an overstatement, but I do agree it's apparent that whatever unremarkable assets Ponder brought weren't given enough credit for the Vikings success this season. Ponder has been particularly maligned in arguments in favor of Peterson as MVP (i.e. Peterson has carried a team into the playoffs with an incompetent deadbeat as a QB). Not that Ponder is a QB of the future obviously but the Vikings with Webb and Peterson probably would have won about as many games as they would have with Ponder and an average running back.

Agreed.

Not really. It says as much about the need to give back ups reps in practice. I remember Elway saying that the back up used to get 30-40% of the reps at practice when Shanahan was there. This is why. For whatever reason, however, it's prevalent for teams to give their back ups no reps. Webb has looked good in other games when he knew he was going to start.

Ponder isn't very good. This idea that he's been elevated because of yesterdays game is laughable.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM

Just stop.

rmsanger
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Still in AP's corner for MVP dude is just a beast. He made stuff happen himself!

Peyton is a great story and I love that he's on this team but the first quarter of the season he didn't exactly light it up. Sorry but AP is head n shoulders the single best offensive player in the league and is much better than the 2nd RB.

PFM is a top 3 QB but isn't much better than Brady or Rodgers.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Still in AP's corner for MVP dude is just a beast. He made stuff happen himself!

Peyton is a great story and I love that he's on this team but the first quarter of the season he didn't exactly light it up. Sorry but AP is head n shoulders the single best offensive player in the league and is much better than the 2nd RB.

PFM is a top 3 QB but isn't much better than Brady or Rodgers.

You realize the broncos went 13-3, right?

ant1999e
01-06-2013, 10:42 AM

So Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker putting up Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne numbers is entirely a product of Manning? They're both damn good players in their own right in only their third season in the league. Manning's success this year isn't a product of Manning alone, these two guys have done a lot to help him out and this attitude that Manning is 100% responsible for their success instead of seeing it for the symbiotic relationship it is degrades their contributions.

The 8-8 to 13-3 jump also completely ignores the massive improvement in our defense from a middling squad with a few playmakers to an elite group with stars paired with damn good starters almost across the board. Miller took his DROY 2011 season and turned it up a few notches for 2012. Doom looked even better in 2012 than he did in 2011. Woodyard had a massive step forward. Chris Harris broke through like a beast. Raheem Moore has grown by leaps and bounds. Wolfe and Ayers are an impressive strong side DE tandem. And lets not forget Champ holding father time at bay with apparent ease.

Lets also not overlook the improved TE play from FA signings, the step forward we've seen both Zane Beadles and Orlando Franklin take, and the gradual return to form of Ryan Clady.

Willis McGahee was playing some of the best football of his career before getting hurt and Knowshon Moreno is playing hands down the best football of his career now in place of him.

Meanwhile the single biggest difference the Vikings have seen between their 2011 3-13 season and their 10-6 2012 season was Peterson. Not just getting back from his ACL tear but then having one of the single most dominant RB seasons ever with little to no passing game to back him up.

MVP is a single season award for the most valuable player over a 16 game span. Without Manning the Broncos were likely a playoff team still. Without Peterson the Vikings are trying to decide who they pick in the top 5 of next year's draft. This shouldn't even be hard and if Manning wins it they should just formally announce that it's a QBs only award.

Want a good stat to highlight it? In Terrell Davis' 1998 MVP season he had the following stat line with an all world team around him:
2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
125.5 yards per game
15 20+ yard runs
6 40+ yard runs

Adrian Peterson on a weak Vikings team with no other superstar on offense to help him out:
2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
131.1 yards per game
27 20+ yard runs
8 40+ yard runs

Now I thin TD was the clear cut MVP in 1998, but thinking that I can't see how I could rationally argue that thinking Peterson trumping TD's '98 season pretty much across the board. Manning's numbers are better than any QB achieved in '98, sure, but the same could be said of Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees. If the MVP is anything other than a QB only award it's got to go to Peterson after putting up the greatest running back's season we've seen to date.

End thread.

ChampJesusBailey
01-06-2013, 11:11 AM

2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
125.5 yards per game
15 20+ yard runs
6 40+ yard runs

2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
131.1 yards per game
27 20+ yard runs
8 40+ yard runs

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/lokidoki/2yllfzo_zpsb43c63d1.gif

Agreed entirely. Manning has had a great season but this is a QB league, there are 3-4 other QB's who had just as good a season statistically. We'll likely never see another season like the one AD had.

errand
01-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Agreed entirely. Manning has had a great season but this is a QB league, there are 3-4 other QB's who had just as good a season statistically. We'll likely never see another season like the one AD had.

They said the same thing after OJ's 2000 yard season....and Eric Dickerson's and Terrell Davis', and Barry Sander's, and Jamal Lewis' and Chris Johnson's.....just saying.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 06:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/lokidoki/2yllfzo_zpsb43c63d1.gif

Calvin Johnson had a similar season as a wide receiver, but neither come close to being as valuable to their team as Manning. Come on now.

Boltjolt
01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
I really dont care who wins the MVP so i dont have any favorite here.

Both Peyton and AP had great years but the way i see it, who was more valuable to their team?

Denver went to the playoffs last season with Tebow at QB.

Minnesota does not make the playoffs without AP. No way! Ponder isnt that great and didnt even have 3,000 on nearly 500 attempts. Sure both are coming off of big injuries but Peyton had a whole year from football to heal, AP just months.

If im voting, which im not id give it to AP. I just think he is MORE deserving.

However, i both are deserving and could go either way. I dont think it is a runaway by any means as suggested here.

Drek
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
They said the same thing after OJ's 2000 yard season....and Eric Dickerson's and Terrell Davis', and Barry Sander's, and Jamal Lewis' and Chris Johnson's.....just saying.

And none of those were close to Ad's season this year. He beat TD's 2000 yard season per carry average by nearly a yard. TD had 44 more carries, at Ad's YPC that would give him another 264 yards. He already beat TD's total yards by 89 yards. So given the same number of carries he would have had 353 more yards. With Christian Ponder at QB instead of Elway.

Same with Dickerson. 9 yards shy on 32 fewer carries.

That's not to say we'll never see a season better, but he just had the single best season carrying the ball we've seen to date. If that can't win MVP in this league because the passing stats have been so inflated we might as well just remove all pretenses and make it a QB only award.

Fact is, any Bronco fan who thinks TD deserved the MVP in '98 should want AD to win this year. Wasn't that long ago this franchise hung it's hat on running the ball as top offensive priority. AD is starting to look like the last of the breed and deserves the respect he's due you while he's still doin'.

NickStixx
01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

2008 rushing yards
5.1 yards per carry
125.5 yards per game
15 20+ yard runs
6 40+ yard runs

2097 rushing yards
6.0 yards per carry
131.1 yards per game
27 20+ yard runs
8 40+ yard runs

If Harvin doesn't get hurt this year, then AP isn't even in the conversation of MVP. Plain and simple. He was lining up EVERYWHERE in that offense, even as RB.
And the reason all those players you mentioned for the Broncos are playing better has a lot to do with Manning. See my previous post on this thread.
Manning has a bigger impact on the game, he controls it all. MVP.
AP is the OPOY.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
And none of those were close to Ad's season this year. He beat TD's 2000 yard season per carry average by nearly a yard. TD had 44 more carries, at Ad's YPC that would give him another 264 yards. He already beat TD's total yards by 89 yards. So given the same number of carries he would have had 353 more yards. With Christian Ponder at QB instead of Elway.

Same with Dickerson. 9 yards shy on 32 fewer carries.

That's not to say we'll never see a season better, but he just had the single best season carrying the ball we've seen to date. If that can't win MVP in this league because the passing stats have been so inflated we might as well just remove all pretenses and make it a QB only award.

Fact is, any Bronco fan who thinks TD deserved the MVP in '98 should want AD to win this year. Wasn't that long ago this franchise hung it's hat on running the ball as top offensive priority. AD is starting to look like the last of the breed and deserves the respect he's due you while he's still doin'.

You are focusing way too much on his rushing yardage alone. He had 2097 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving, and 13 total TDs. Terrell Davis had 2008 yards rushing, 217 yards receiving and and 23 total TDs. LaDanian Tomlinson had 1815 yards rushing, 508 yards receiving and 31 total TDs. Peterson's season doesn't really compare unless you think yards are more important than points.

extralife
01-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Barry Sanders also had 6.0 YPC in his 2k season, and he only split the MVP. OJ had more yards per game, Jim Brown averaged 6.4 YPC in his 1800+ yard '63 season, Faulk had 1K/1K and 28 TDs, Agamemnon pointed out LT, Chris Johnson set the yards from scrimmage mark with a crappier team than this year's vikings, etc. I'm not saying AP didn't have a fantastic season, and I'm not even saying he shouldn't get the MVP, but to say we'll never see a season like this again is being disingenuous.

Atwater His Ass
01-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Did you guys even watch the Viking game? After seeing that can't see how anyone could say AP is more vaulable than Ponder, let alone everyone else in the league?

Consider that when Elway went down and Brister came in, we didn't miss a beat. TD going down instead of Elway would have been a bigger loss at the time. Look at what happened with basically the same team in '99 when TD got hurt. I believe that season was the first ever when a SB champion didn't even make the playoffs the following year. That was how valuable TD was to Denver and is the kind of impact that AP doesn't have for Minnesota, they weren't even close to matching GB without Ponder.

BroncoFox
01-06-2013, 09:16 PM
People seem to forget how Manning was actually talked about in circles last year to receive the MVP.. for not playing a single game! Because it became obvious just how valuable he was, once he was out.

In Denver, he added value not only to the offense, but to the defense and special teams as well. AP added value to.. the offense. That's about it. QBs often are most valuable for a reason. They add the most value to the team. Manning adds amazing value to our team. So unless most VALUABLE player means something else (like.. most amazing offensive player), it should be Peyton, hands down.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 09:21 PM
People seem to forget how Manning was actually talked about in circles last year to receive the MVP.. for not playing a single game! Because it became obvious just how valuable he was, once he was out.

In Denver, he added value not only to the offense, but to the defense and special teams as well. AP added value to.. the offense. That's about it. QBs often are most valuable for a reason. They add the most value to the team. Manning adds amazing value to our team. So unless most VALUABLE player means something else (like.. most amazing offensive player), it should be Peyton, hands down.

Calvin Johnson was the most amazing offensive player this year in my opinion. Of course just like Peterson he didn't score a lot of TDs.

enjolras
01-06-2013, 09:26 PM
I think folks are getting far too fixated on 2000 yard rushers. There have now been 7.

1973 O.J. Simpson
1984 Eric Dickerson
1997 Barry Sanders
1998 Terrell Davis
2003 Jamal Lewis
2009 Chris Johnson
2012 Adrian Petersen

Notice something: There was 11 years between the first two and then 13 years between the next two. Since 1997, however, there have been 5 (one 33.33..% of the time).

So it's an impressive feat, but it is far less rare than it had been. The reason is simple: There is no easier time in NFL history than today for a running back to put up big yards. Teams are built to put pressure on quarterbacks and defend receivers and (more recently) tight-ends in pass-first offenses.

Dickersons record is going to fall and it's going to happen soon. QB-poor offenses like the Vikings and Chiefs are instead turning to running backs to fill the gap in their offense. They rack up huge yards because teams simply don't have those big interior tackles and edge-setting ends anymore. It's the era of disruptive tackles and feather-weight speed rushers around the edge. It's going to be much easier to put up yards.

AP's achievement is being viewed against Dickerson, but it shouldn't be. Dickerson did it during a time in the NFL in which every team ran the ball and defenses were built to stop it. That he put up those yard is mind-boggling.

AP's year is impressive, but hardly automatically makes you an MVP.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
I think folks are getting far too fixated on 2000 yard rushers. There have now been 7.

1973 O.J. Simpson
1984 Eric Dickerson
1997 Barry Sanders
1998 Terrell Davis
2003 Jamal Lewis
2009 Chris Johnson
2012 Adrian Petersen

Notice something: There was 11 years between the first two and then 13 years between the next two. Since 1997, however, there have been 5 (one 33.33..% of the time).

So it's an impressive feat, but it is far less rare than it had been. The reason is simple: There is no easier time in NFL history than today for a running back to put up big yards. Teams are built to put pressure on quarterbacks and defend receivers and (more recently) tight-ends in pass-first offenses.

Dickersons record is going to fall and it's going to happen soon. QB-poor offenses like the Vikings and Chiefs are instead turning to running backs to fill the gap in their offense. They rack up huge yards because teams simply don't have those big interior tackles and edge-setting ends anymore. It's the era of disruptive tackles and feather-weight speed rushers around the edge. It's going to be much easier to put up yards.

AP's achievement is being viewed against Dickerson, but it shouldn't be. It's impressive, but hardly automatically makes you an MVP.

I would tend to agree with your overall point, but I don't necessarily think Dickerson's record is going to fall any time soon. Peterson is almost certainly going to drop-off after this season (as 2000 yard rushers always do), and I just don't see anyone else having a realistic shot at it right now.

DBroncos4life
01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Shaun Alexander's 2005 season was better then AP's season this year.

Bacchus
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Manning Nominated for FedEx Air Player of the Year

http://files.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/12_Blogs/130107_pm_fedexyear.jpg
On Monday, quarterback Peyton Manning received his first yearly award nomination. He is one of three finalists for the FedEx Air NFL Player of the Year.
Fans can vote for one player in each category on NFL.com/FedEx (http://www.NFL.com/FedEx) until Friday, January 25 at 7 pm MT to determine the FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year.
Manning was nominated for FedExís weekly award five times in 2012, including nominations in Weeks 16 and 17, and won the award in Week 17 (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/manning-named-fedex-air-player-of-the-week/). He also took home conference player of the week awards in Weeks 6 (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/peyton-manning-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week/) and 17 (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-Offensive-Player-of-the-Week/6c4e60fb-91b2-4788-9d47-4afffecf8292) and conference player of the month awards for October (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Named-AFC-Offensive-Player-of-the-Month/c2f64726-d50f-4565-b5dc-eadeb700a26d) and December. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Earns-Player-of-the-Month-Honor/0f679703-2251-4f4b-b8bf-c2157430edcb)
The nomination comes after Manning broke franchise records in nearly every single-season passing category (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Manning-Caps-%E2%80%98Historic%E2%80%99-Regular-Season/ebd60227-54d9-4c8d-bcf8-484bc835e211) during his first year as a Bronco.

The quarterback finished with 4,659 yards on 400-of-583 passing with 37 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions. His team records were in touchdown passes, completions, passing yards and completion percentage (68.6). His season passer rating of 105.9 was also a team record.

He also earned his 12th career Pro Bowl selection (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-Broncos-Selected-to-Pro-Bowl/09b7ef02-b960-4da7-b910-5fa2d706996d), the most by a quarterback in NFL history while becoming the first signal-caller to be selected to the squad after missing the previous season due to injury. He is also the 14th player in league annals (and the only quarterback) to make 10 consecutive Pro Bowls in years he played.

Manning led the team to 11 straight wins en route to a 13-3 regular-season record as the Broncos earned the No. 1 seed the AFC playoffs. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/No-1-Seed-Broncos-Prepare-for-Postseason/e263a69d-846a-4463-97b0-eae8621563a9)

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers are the other finalists for the award.

During the week leading up to Super Bowl XLVII, FedEx plans to announce the 2012 FedEx Air & Ground NFL Players of the Year in New Orleans, as well as make a $25,000 donation in each winning playerís name to Junior Achievement offices in the their city. The funding is used to help U.S. small business development, by educating the next generation of entrepreneurs on how to start and grow their own businesses.

Boltjolt
01-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I would tend to agree with your overall point, but I don't necessarily think Dickerson's record is going to fall any time soon. Peterson is almost certainly going to drop-off after this season (as 2000 yard rushers always do), and I just don't see anyone else having a realistic shot at it right now.

Agree. Dont think that record is going to fall anytime soon.

1984 was also the year Dan Marino had 5,084 passing yards and Neil friggin Lomax had over 4600. Not as pass happy as today but there were 3 or 4 QB's with over 4,000 yards.