PDA

View Full Version : Would this team beat the 97 or 98 Broncos?

Chris
01-04-2013, 11:03 PM
What's that? Heresy you say? A fun question, I say. Fun, even if it's tough to consider given the changes in today's game.

I know that in both years pass D was our weakness so Peyton would really be able to take his shots, even with Atwater bearing down on DT. I have little doubt that Romo would chew Knowshon's foot off and spit out the shoe. Our D versus TD and John? I honestly don't know the answer.

Curious to hear what you guys think.

maher_tyler
01-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Those teams had a dominating run game that couldn't be stopped by anyone. I'd take those teams by 10 points.

dictionary
01-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Yer drunk. Go home.

oh wait. that is me. That said, I dont think this is a valid question until the finish line, man.

Mr Chatterboodamn
01-05-2013, 12:13 AM
It's a different sport now so it's hard to compare.

"I'm a white personI'm a black person" -- Howard Griffith, 1996

Taco John
01-05-2013, 02:03 AM
No. No way. Not yet. Maybe eventually. But not yet.

The '97 team was tempered by the Jacksonville loss. When they got into the playoffs, they were going to win at all costs. The '98 team had swagger like I've never seen a team have swagger, and that includes every team ever since. They were sitting Terrell Davis at half time to save his legs - and that was in the middle of a 2000 yard season.

I love the team we have right now, but they haven't been tested yet. This is a great topic for the podcast this next week.

Jetmeck
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
No way, 98 could run against anybody anywhere anytime.

No d-line could stop it.

We are nowhere that dominant right now.....................

i4jelway7
01-05-2013, 03:23 AM
http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/

Taco John
01-05-2013, 03:34 AM
I'd like to see Knowshon Moreno up against Steve Atwater and Bill Romanowski.

Blueflame
01-05-2013, 03:57 AM
I'd like to see Knowshon Moreno up against Steve Atwater and Bill Romanowski.

Some of the hits those guys brought... would result in fines, if not multi-game suspensions today.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 04:00 AM
Terrell Davis and Denver's OL on the '98 team would be too tough.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 04:02 AM
This team is just about as dominant as the '98 team in terms of regular season play. Whether or not it matches that team in the playoffs remains to be seen. The people saying it wouldn't even be close are either overestimating those teams or underestimating this one.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 04:07 AM

According to this site 2012 team wins almost under any situation.

Atwater His Ass
01-05-2013, 04:52 AM
I don't see how anyone poses this question, even in fun.

The '98 team was one of the best teams ever in the NFL. They were absolutely dominant. It's shortsided Denver fans that are trying to relate this year's team to either the '97 or '98 team.

If the current team is able to win at least back to back SB titles, then we can talk. Although without the dominant running game provided by the 97/98 elite OL and TD, I'm not sure there is much of an argument to be had. The current team obviously has a better defense, but they can't compare offensively.

I'd love to continue this conversation though, after winning a couple more titles.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 04:53 AM
I don't see how anyone poses this question, even in fun.

The '98 team was one of the best teams ever in the NFL. They were absolutely dominant. It's shortsided Denver fans that are trying to relate this year's team to either the '97 or '98 team.

If the current team is able to win at least back to back SB titles, then we can talk. Although without the dominant running game provided by the 97/98 elite OL and TD, I'm not sure there is much of an argument to be had. The current team obviously has a better defense, but they can't compare offensively.

I'd love to continue this conversation though, after winning a couple more titles.

The NFL is much different these days. You do not need a dominant running game.

Jesterhole
01-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Every part of our team, save the run game, is improved. Passing, defense, and ST are all superior today.

Coaching was better then. Those teams always seemed to get up on people early with fast starts based off Mikes first 15. This team usually takes a quarter or two to get things rolling.

ColoradoDarin
01-05-2013, 06:07 AM
According to this site 2012 team wins almost under any situation.

Funny, first time I ran it, 31-24 to the 1998 team.

spdirty
01-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Yer drunk. Go home.

oh wait. that is me. That said, I dont think this is a valid question until the finish line, man.

This. I'm not ready to make those comparisons.

Old Dude
01-05-2013, 06:49 AM
It depends what kind of criteria you use for comparison. If you gathered up the ‘98 team, stuck them in a time machine, and brought them forward to play under the current ruleset, I think they’d have a hard time compiling a winning record. And the same thing goes for any other championship team from more than ten years ago. Decade by decade, players get bigger, faster and stronger. Add in the rules changes that prohibit downfield contact on receivers, protection of pocket passers, etc., and it gets even worse.
The only fair comparison would be relativistic. How dominant was the '98 team versus the competition at the time versus the 2012-13 team against its present competition? And in that regard, the ‘98 team wins, at least at the moment, because the current version still has so much to prove.

sgbfan
01-05-2013, 07:20 AM
I don't know who would win, but it sure as heck would be fun to watch!

jutang
01-05-2013, 07:38 AM
The NFL is much different these days. You do not need a dominant running game.

Both teams are built well for their respective eras. Given the rule changes both teams would struggle if forced to play their opponents rules. Atwater would have gotten kicked out by the 2nd quarter and Dt/Decker would not get to run as freely as they do now.

MrPeepers
01-05-2013, 07:46 AM

me too 3-2 thru 5 games, TD MVP of game each time.

lookin' glass
01-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Which team would you root for?

mustangtoby
01-05-2013, 07:51 AM
I just watched SB 32 the other day, and I had forgot how dominant that team was. Not just good, but dominant. When John wanted to throw, he had Sharpe and Rod Smith and Eddie Mac. When he handed TD the ball, you never knew if it was only a 6 yd carry or if he would break a big one. The following year they were even better and so was the D... I personally think those teams would spank this one, and I love this team!

spdirty
01-05-2013, 08:00 AM
It depends what kind of criteria you use for comparison. If you gathered up the ‘98 team, stuck them in a time machine, and brought them forward to play under the current ruleset, I think they’d have a hard time compiling a winning record. And the same thing goes for any other championship team from more than ten years ago. Decade by decade, players get bigger, faster and stronger. Add in the rules changes that prohibit downfield contact on receivers, protection of pocket passers, etc., and it gets even worse.
The only fair comparison would be relativistic. How dominant was the '98 team versus the competition at the time versus the 2012-13 team against its present competition? And in that regard, the ‘98 team wins, at least at the moment, because the current version still has so much to prove.

I don't agree with that. I think that '98 team would dominate today's NFL. Because of the offense. They would still be able to put up a bunch of points at will.

The defensive line was also pretty damn good, especially the 98, with Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Trevor Pryce in his second year, and Kieth Traylor with Teerlink coaching em up. Linebackers were OK, Allen Aldridge wasn't a worldbeater, but Romo and Mobley were pretty good. And I would take a secondary of Crockett, Atwater, Chicken, and even though he drove me nuts, Gordon.

You take that team and put them here today, I think they're just fine. The defense was good because our offense always put so much pressure on the opposing offense to score every possession. Man what a fun time that was. This is a real fun time too.

spdirty
01-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Those teams have always been, and always will be, my favorites of all time. Nothing beats your first time winning it all. Then the next year pissing all over your critics who said it was a fluke's cornflakes by just completely dominating the league.

However, the one thing that kind of pisses me off is that we never got to play the '99 Rams or the 2000 Ravens. That would have been so much fun.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 08:05 AM

I think pretty much everyone would root for the '98 team.... ah the glory days!!!

Hopefully, in 15 years we will be talking about the Peyton Manning years and his two SB Titles.

Old Dude
01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
How about comparing this team to the 96 Broncos?

Similarities: Both teams went 13-3 in the regular season and clinched the #1 seed. Unfortunately, the 96 Broncos lost in the Divisional Round to Jacksonville.

Main difference I see (up to this point) is that the 96 squad lost two of its last three regular season games, and one of those was a blowout loss (41-6 to Green Bay). This year's version seems to be getting stronger as the season progresses (11 game win streak) and the combined point differential in all three early season losses was only -22.

Still, if they lose in the Divisional round, the comparisons will be unavoidable.

Hamrob
01-05-2013, 09:03 AM
We have to see where this team ends up first.

That being said, I think it would be competetive....in terms of the other playoff teams of the 97-98 seasons, but to beat those teams...I can't see that.

QB - Even
RB - 97/98
WR - Even
Oline - 97/98
TE - 97/98
FB - 97/98

LB's - 97/98
Dline - Even
CB's - 2012
Safety - 97/98

Special Teams - 97/98 (Elam/Gordon etc.)

Coaching - Even

I think any way you try to carve it up, those 97-98 teams have the advantage. And, when it comes to depth...those teams were stacked.

MileHighMagic
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
We have to see where this team ends up first.

That being said, I think it would be competetive....in terms of the other playoff teams of the 97-98 seasons, but to beat those teams...I can't see that.

QB - Even
RB - 97/98
WR - Even
Oline - 97/98
TE - 97/98
FB - 97/98

LB's - 97/98
Dline - Even
CB's - 2012
Safety - 97/98

Special Teams - 97/98 (Elam/Gordon etc.)

Coaching - Even

I think any way you try to carve it up, those 97-98 teams have the advantage. And, when it comes to depth...those teams were stacked.

Good list but Shanny > Fox by a mile. I know the coaching category is not limited to just head coaches and Del Rio is far better than Robinson but I gotta go 97/98.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Good list but Shanny > Fox by a mile. I know the coaching category is not limited to just head coaches and Del Rio is far better than Robinson but I gotta go 97/98.

I agree, Shanahan, Kubes, Dennison, Turner were all great.

I'm surprised Dennison is not getting any talk about being a head coach this year. I think Houston's recent slide might have something to do with that. I think he'll make a great head coach.

Irish Stout
01-05-2013, 09:47 AM
John Elway always wins in the end.

bombay
01-05-2013, 09:53 AM
The defense is sounder on this team. I think the offense on the super bowl teams was better.

NFLBRONCO
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I think 97/98 DL was better. I go by my old standard 97/98 could go anywhere and win and beat anybody. As excited as I am now with this team I don't feel that way right now. Does it mean we can't go to SB and win no but, imo we still have work to do.

winstoncup bronco
01-05-2013, 10:13 AM
This team easily with teh McCoy.

/sarcasm

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 10:17 AM
The 97-98 was also very experienced and had been together a long time. I think it is safe to say next years team will be better than this year.

It'll be fun comparing the 97-98 teams to the 12-13 teams!!!

NFLBRONCO
01-05-2013, 10:18 AM
The defense is sounder on this team. I think the offense on the super bowl teams was better.

Let's see in playoffs if D is sounder. We are still 0-3 against upper playoff calibur teams. Only guys I'd take from today to 97/98 is Von and Champ Doom

Lestat
01-05-2013, 10:20 AM
if you take away TD from those teams then yes, but since that's not possible no.
good as Manning is, TD and Elway were unstoppable during their SB runs.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Let's see in playoffs if D is sounder. We are still 0-3 against upper playoff calibur teams. Only guys I'd take from today to 97/98 is Von and Champ Doom

I'd take Woodyard over Cadrez. I would take Vickerson over Tanuvsa

Jetmeck
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
This team is just about as dominant as the '98 team in terms of regular season play. Whether or not it matches that team in the playoffs remains to be seen. The people saying it wouldn't even be close are either overestimating those teams or underestimating this one.

Just so wrong............98 was much more physical at the O-line than what we have now. There is no comparison whatsoever.

Run game ther e is also no co mparaison and don't flash any stats either.

We ran when they knew it was coming all day long and we didn't need no stinkin play action to score.

98s team would run this one off the field. Manning wouldn't see the field as TD and his outstanding O-line controlled the game.

Jetmeck
01-05-2013, 10:27 AM

OMG please rethink before typing.

Every playoff caliber teams we have played we lost to so you have no way to back up this claim.

97/98 obviously does have the proof......................

sgbfan
01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

Probably 98, can't beet Terrell, Elway, Sharp, McCaff (but Decker comes close ;)), Atwater etc...

But thats the beauty of it, it doesn't really matter. It would be awesome either way.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Just so wrong............98 was much more physical at the O-line than what we have now. There is no comparison whatsoever.

We ran when they knew it was coming all day long and we didn't need no stinkin play action to score.

98s team would run this one off the field. Manning wouldn't see the field as TD and his outstanding O-line controlled the game.

I do not think they would RUN this team off the field, I think it would be much like the 98 SB. Atlanta held TD to just 104 yards rushing but in order to stop they run they had to stack the LOS and Elway made them pay. If these two teams played I would see '12 stacking the LOS to keep Davis in check. Elway would have to win the game. '12 team has been killed by TEs all year I can only imagine what Sharpe would do to them. I'd look for the score to be 34-28 '98 Broncos.

Taco John
01-05-2013, 10:35 AM
It depends what kind of criteria you use for comparison. If you gathered up the ‘98 team, stuck them in a time machine, and brought them forward to play under the current ruleset, I think they’d have a hard time compiling a winning record.

You really think so? I think they'd dominate the current league. That was probably the most balanced, all around team I can remember ever watching play. I think the defense would struggle like all defenses in this day and age do, but the offense was such a juggernaut prone to getting out to quick leads. I see it working out like it always did - the offense gets out to a two score lead, and then plays aggressive defensively while choking their offense with a dominant running game.

NFLBRONCO
01-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Can someone play Madden and solve this for us

Al Wilson
01-05-2013, 11:17 AM
That 98 team is a top 5 team of all time. No one can stop that offense. Defenses knew they were going to run it and they ran it at will against anybody. Include the passing game with Sharpe, Eddy Mac and Rod Smith with Elway slinging the ball. No disrespect to this 2012 team but that 98 team was a machine that no team can ever stop, they would merk the 85 bears as well.

troyjbath
01-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Manning puts up 35 points on the 98 team if it's played with the current rules. Take the 2012 team back in time and it would be a different story. I've re-watched SB 32 and 33 a few times in the past few weeks. It's amazing how much the game has changed in 15 years. Like comparing apples to oranges. Does the 85 Bears team beat the 2012 Broncos? I don't think so, not with the current rules.

Popps
01-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Nope.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 12:43 PM

You do understand that there is more to football than just the running game right?

Finger Roll
01-05-2013, 01:28 PM
They could beat the 97 team no doubt because that team had the worst run defense in the league. The 98 team was little better than this team. I would take this defense over both 97 and 98 teams.

Arkie
01-05-2013, 01:31 PM
Terrell wears down the 2012 defense, and Elway leads the 1998 team to an amazing 4th quarter comeback!

http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp#top

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
DEN 4:18 TD Willie Green 1 yd. pass from Elway (Elam kick) 0-7
2nd Quarter
DE2 11:11 TD Eric Decker 15 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 7-7
DE2 7:43 TD Eric Decker 72 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 14-7
3rd Quarter
DE2 10:01 TD Knowshon Moreno 16 yd. run (Prater kick) 21-7
DEN 4:30 TD Terrell Davis 3 yd. run (Elam kick) 21-14
DE2 4:08 TD Demaryius Thomas 75 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 28-14
4th Quarter
DEN 13:29 FG Jason Elam 43 yds. 28-17
DEN 4:25 TD Rod Smith 10 yd. pass from Elway (2-PT conversion failed) 28-23
DEN 0:40 TD Rod Smith 27 yd. pass from Elway (Davis 2-PT conversion) 28-31
PLAYER OF THE GAME
'98 John Elway (1998 Denver Broncos)

Hamrob
01-05-2013, 04:38 PM
They could beat the 97 team no doubt because that team had the worst run defense in the league. The 98 team was little better than this team. I would take this defense over both 97 and 98 teams.Wow...how old are you? Did you watch the Broncos during Shanny's first 5yrs?

I love our current Defense....but, that 97-98 team had guys like Atwater, Mobley, Neil Smith, Alfred williams and others. They were no joke.

This team has Champ, Doom, and Miller. I think they are pretty even when you shape it up. But, Atwater (IMO) was the MVP of our fiirst Superbowl. He played like a crazy man...

Swedish Extrovert
01-05-2013, 05:04 PM

I've run it like six times now and it's 5-1 in favor of the 1998 team.

Swedish Extrovert
01-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Wow...how old are you? Did you watch the Broncos during Shanny's first 5yrs?

I love our current Defense....but, that 97-98 team had guys like Atwater, Mobley, Neil Smith, Alfred williams and others. They were no joke.

This team has Champ, Doom, and Miller. I think they are pretty even when you shape it up. But, Atwater (IMO) was the MVP of our fiirst Superbowl. He played like a crazy man...

I'll give you Atwater... but there was no Champ or Von on that team. Doom > Williams.

ZONA
01-05-2013, 07:06 PM
What's that? Heresy you say? A fun question, I say. Fun, even if it's tough to consider given the changes in today's game.

I know that in both years pass D was our weakness so Peyton would really be able to take his shots, even with Atwater bearing down on DT. I have little doubt that Romo would chew Knowshon's foot off and spit out the shoe. Our D versus TD and John? I honestly don't know the answer.

Curious to hear what you guys think.

I'll let you know in about 4 weeks.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 07:48 PM

I'm not even that big a Fox guy but come on. Shanny won two Super Bowls with Elway. Fox took a team with Jake Delhomme to the Super Bowl. I'd say the later is arguably just as impressive.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 07:52 PM
They could beat the 97 team no doubt because that team had the worst run defense in the league. The 98 team was little better than this team. I would take this defense over both 97 and 98 teams.

I remember those run stats and they are really misleading. That team gave up a lot of long runs earlier in the season but by the time the playoffs came around they shut down every run game they faced. That said I do feel that this defense is better than the '97 or '98 teams. The opposite is true offensively. Manning provides a more dangerous passing game overall, but those offenses had vastly superior running and play-calling.

Finger Roll
01-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Wow...how old are you? Did you watch the Broncos during Shanny's first 5yrs?

I'm 36 and been a Broncos fan since 85'. That 97 team gave up over 5.0 yards per carry on the ground. This years team was the second rated defense in the league. They also had the most sacks.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Teams today are complete pussies compared to teams from 15 years ago.

No.

Bob's your Information Minister
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
With the way the passing rules have changed the 97 Chiefs could probably rape this league right now, let alone the 97 Broncos.

Finger Roll
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
I remember those run stats and they are really misleading. That team gave up a lot of long runs earlier in the season but by the time the playoffs came around they shut down every run game they faced. That said I do feel that this defense is better than the '97 or '98 teams. The opposite is true offensively. Manning provides a more dangerous passing game overall, but those offenses had vastly superior running and play-calling.

That might be true about the run defense that year but they didn't have a player that was nearly as dominating as Von miller.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 08:15 PM
With the way the passing rules have changed the 97 Chiefs could probably rape this league right now, let alone the 97 Broncos.

Yeah Elvis Grbac would be an unstoppable force with the passing rules of today...

Hilarious!

Arkie
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Manning puts up 35 points on the 98 team if it's played with the current rules.

That's only if Manning has the ball. The 1998 juggernaut was unstoppable with the old rules. Elway would take advantage of the new rules too.

Agamemnon
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Why are people acting like the passing rules in the late 90's were that different from today? The 1998 Vikings scored 556 points ffs, mostly through the air. We aren't talking about the 70's people.

Bacchus
01-06-2013, 02:41 AM
Terrell wears down the 2012 defense, and Elway leads the 1998 team to an amazing 4th quarter comeback!

http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp#top

SCORING SUMMARY

1st Quarter
DEN 4:18 TD Willie Green 1 yd. pass from Elway (Elam kick) 0-7
2nd Quarter
DE2 11:11 TD Eric Decker 15 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 7-7
DE2 7:43 TD Eric Decker 72 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 14-7
3rd Quarter
DE2 10:01 TD Knowshon Moreno 16 yd. run (Prater kick) 21-7
DEN 4:30 TD Terrell Davis 3 yd. run (Elam kick) 21-14
DE2 4:08 TD Demaryius Thomas 75 yd. pass from Manning (Prater kick) 28-14
4th Quarter
DEN 13:29 FG Jason Elam 43 yds. 28-17
DEN 4:25 TD Rod Smith 10 yd. pass from Elway (2-PT conversion failed) 28-23
DEN 0:40 TD Rod Smith 27 yd. pass from Elway (Davis 2-PT conversion) 28-31
PLAYER OF THE GAME
'98 John Elway (1998 Denver Broncos)

play it again, get a different result. pLus you look at the stats and they are bogus, you'll see players that don't even play with sacks like Stephen Johnson etc.....Our discussion on the subject is more accurate than this simulation.

TD4HOF
01-06-2013, 04:52 AM
I dunno and sure hope this year's team makes this discussion relevant! Lombardi or GTFO.

One thing's for sure, the current me would beat the stuffing outta '98 me.

UberBroncoMan
01-06-2013, 05:09 AM

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/310/legit10vs08.jpg

Seems legit! ;)

Arkie
01-06-2013, 10:52 AM
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/310/legit10vs08.jpg

Seems legit! ;)

How many times did it take you to get that result?

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2013, 10:57 AM
Those teams had a dominating run game that couldn't be stopped by anyone. I'd take those teams by 10 points.

This. 10+ points.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Why are people acting like the passing rules in the late 90's were that different from today? The 1998 Vikings scored 556 points ffs, mostly through the air. We aren't talking about the 70's people.

It actually is a lot different today.

Since 1998, the NFL has cracked down on contact by DBs against WRs downfield, they've cracked down on DBs hitting WRs when trying to make a catch, and they've made a number of rules aimed at protecting the QB...all at different times over the past 10-12 years.

If you really believe the NFL isn't a lot different now, look at Steve Atwater and be honest with yourself about whether he'd be a safety in today's NFL.

BroncoDoug
01-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I agree, Shanahan, Kubes, Dennison, Turner were all great.

I'm surprised Dennison is not getting any talk about being a head coach this year. I think Houston's recent slide might have something to do with that. I think he'll make a great head coach.

The bears requested to interview him, which I think woild be a good fit.

Bacchus
01-06-2013, 12:57 PM
The bears requested to interview him, which I think woild be a good fit.

I saw that, it will be interesting. If I was Dennison I'd stay in Houston. Really, Cutler, Marshall....ugh

UberBroncoMan
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
How many times did it take you to get that result?

Actually was the first, Tebow be praised.