PDA

View Full Version : Espn: McCoy to meet with eagles, bills, cards

RedskinBronco
01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Discuss

cutthemdown
01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Not really worried about losing McCoy but he is willing to make the offense work around what players he has. So I think his open minded approach is one of his strengths. But McCoys offense only looked this good when he got Manning. Not sure he is a great hire for some team to tell you the truth.

Goobzilla
01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Better to lose McCoy than JDR if you ask me. Can't begrudge any assistant looking for a HC job.

RedskinBronco
01-03-2013, 12:51 PM
I agree with you both

Bronco Boy
01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
He's a better prospect than Dennis Allen was. I think he will end up being a good HC. As for us, I don't think there will be much of an effect. In fact it might be a good thing as it clears the way for Del Rio to take over as HC when Fox retires.

socalorado
01-03-2013, 12:59 PM
I agree with you both

Ditto.

pricejj
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
With McCoy, Manning has the 2nd best scoring Offense of his entire career...in year one of the system.

The dude is as good as gone. Hopefully Gase is taking some major notes.

Rother8
01-03-2013, 01:06 PM
If no one wanted him after last year, why now? Was Indy's OC always in hot demand? I don't understand the McCoy hype and frankly I think he's easily replaceable even if he did have a big part of the offense's success this year. Peyton's experience with this team is more important IMO especially with the Decker and DT. Next year he'll call all the plays anyways.

ludo21
01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
He's a better prospect than Dennis Allen was. I think he will end up being a good HC. As for us, I don't think there will be much of an effect. In fact it might be a good thing as it clears the way for Del Rio to take over as HC when Fox retires.

you meant when Peyton takes over when Fox retires..... :sunshine:

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Buffalo is high on Lovie Smith. McCoy will get his share of interviews though

fwf
01-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Do your ****ing job.

Kaylore
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
McCoy will be a good coach. He'll keep things stable. Like all pro coaches, his success will depend on who his QB is.

DivineLegion
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
The big thing with McCoy is what staff does he take with him.

TonyR
01-03-2013, 01:14 PM
Anyone hear Elway's comments about McCoy and Gase on Clough yesterday?

There were a lot of good things that Peyton hadn't seen before that Mike McCoy and Gase were doing...Peyton saw something he hadn't seen in 14 years...so he got some new ideas from McCoy and Gase. And to me it made that package that much better and I think that's why we had the year we had offensively.
http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2095

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/john-elway-mike-mccoy-teaches-old-dog-manning-new-tricks

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
Anyone hear Elway's comments about McCoy and Gase on Clough yesterday?

http://www.1043thefan.com/podcasts/Episodes.aspx?PID=2095

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/john-elway-mike-mccoy-teaches-old-dog-manning-new-tricks

Do we lose alot if Gase is promoted? I think he's ready to step in of McCoy leaves

Kaylore
01-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Do we lose alot if Gase is promoted? I think he's ready to step in of McCoy leaves

Gase would be my choice. If we had to go external, I'd want Moore or Wisenhunt. In that order, only because Manning knows Moore.

Dedhed
01-03-2013, 01:29 PM
With McCoy, Manning has the 2nd best scoring Offense of his entire career...in year one of the system.

The dude is as good as gone. Hopefully Gase is taking some major notes.
I think that has more to do with the OL and offensive weapons than McCoy. I don't think the offense will miss a beat in 2013 w/o McCoy.

bronco militia
01-03-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.chicitysports.com/forum/images/smilies/Screen%20Shot%202012-09-28%20at%206.07.07%20PM.png

peacepipe
01-03-2013, 01:42 PM
If no one wanted him after last year, why now? Was Indy's OC always in hot demand? I don't understand the McCoy hype and frankly I think he's easily replaceable even if he did have a big part of the offense's success this year. Peyton's experience with this team is more important IMO especially with the Decker and DT. Next year he'll call all the plays anyways.

Look at what he was able to do with tebow as QB,Charlie Chasserly(sp) stated the other day on NFLN that when he had talked to teams last yr, & they all said that if not for who they did hire,McCoy was the guy they wanted.
He was already on the radar for teams looking for a HC.

DBroncos4life
01-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Our second half adjustments half been the best they have ever been on both sides of the ball.

Rohirrim
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1ZB5cjylx2o/SdVgCBpOFXI/AAAAAAAABl8/AEc6g3pOmzI/s400/KYLE+ORTON.jpg

Tombstone RJ
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
lol, I'm happy for McCoy, it's a well deserved promotion IMHO.

BroncsRule
01-03-2013, 02:51 PM
McCoy has been very flixible. From basically s#!tting a new offense over the bye week last year, to fulfilling the "support" role required by Peyton..

he should do well. I hope he winds up with the iggles. Best fit IMO

Bronco Boy
01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I don't think Gase is ready. With PFM, why settle for a guy with no experience? Seems really dumb.

Br0nc0Buster
01-03-2013, 03:26 PM
I credit McCoy's flexibility in being able to adapt to his players and change the offense accordingly

I also think he does scheme up some good plays

But it seems like once we took the reigns off Peyton earlier in the year and just him audible at the line on almost every play that our offense improved quite a bit

Unlike Allen, he has been a coordinator for a while. So I think he has a better shot at success.
He should probably leave the playcalling to his OC if he gets a HC though.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 03:37 PM
McCoy is going to be a loss, especially since Manning hates change.
but Gase would be the ideal replacement to ease the transition. i'd rather have an outside hire and let Gase get more seasoning but i'm fine with it if he does get the job when McCoy leaves.

jerseyboiler120
01-03-2013, 03:41 PM
Who would be the father of the coaching tree that is spreading if McCoy goes? Dennis Allen HC at oak; McCoy HC somewhere ... do we add in Kubs and even shanny to the Bronco coaching tree? Like they always do for the packers under holmgren (gruden, reid, etc.), and like they do for belli-boy and patriots tree (even though most of their coaches don't do well after leaving belli's womb).

jerseyboiler120
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Who would be the father of the coaching tree that is spreading if McCoy goes? Dennis Allen HC at oak; McCoy HC somewhere ... do we add in Kubs and even shanny to the Bronco coaching tree? Like they always do for the packers under holmgren (gruden, reid, etc.), and like they do for belli-boy and patriots tree (even though most of their coaches don't do well after leaving belli's womb).

Lestat
01-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Fox is technically out of the Chuck Knoll tree of coaching(though he became a HC after serving under Jim Fassel). but Fox is starting his own as Del,Allen and soon McCoy will be HC's after serving under him.

jerseyboiler120
01-03-2013, 03:55 PM
Fox is technically out of the Chuck Knoll tree of coaching(though he became a HC after serving under Jim Fassel). but Fox is starting his own as Del,Allen and soon McCoy will be HC's after serving under him.

I hope we can keep at least Del for a period of years. Also really hope McCoy doesn't get picked this go round. Would love to see this group together for at least the 3 years Manning's signed for thus far.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
I hope we can keep at least Del for a period of years. Also really hope McCoy doesn't get picked this go round. Would love to see this group together for at least the 3 years Manning's signed for thus far.

McCoy is getting a HC gig, he was the runner up to Philbin for the Miami job last season if i remember correctly.
his name has been hot ever since we signed Manning. since Manning has been having a resurgent MVP caliber season the whispers have turned to shouts and too many teams are sniffing around him for the head job.

maven
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
He'll be the head coach in Carolina.

TheChamp24
01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
I think him and Lovie will be the key coaches.
Lovie did a pretty good job in Chicago honestly working with crap on offense.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 06:26 PM
He'll be the head coach in Carolina.

man, if McCoy gets to work with Cam Newton and mold him. that's gonna be unfair to the NFL along with Shanny coaching RGIII

peacepipe
01-03-2013, 07:05 PM
McCoy is getting a HC gig, he was the runner up to Philbin for the Miami job last season if i remember correctly.
his name has been hot ever since we signed Manning. since Manning has been having a resurgent MVP caliber season the whispers have turned to shouts and too many teams are sniffing around him for the head job.

Has more to do with what he pulled off with tebow. A lot teams took notice of the what he did with changing a scheme mid season.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Has more to do with what he pulled off with tebow. A lot teams took notice of the what he did with changing a scheme mid season.

i think it's in conjunction with what he did with Tebow. he went from utilizing a kid no one thought could win in the NFL to the polar opposite in quite possibly the best QB of all time.
he fit the offense to them almost seamlessly and that's especially impressive with Manning considering he was in the same system for his entire career til this season.

Dendave
01-04-2013, 08:52 AM
From Jeff Legwold

If Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is hired as an NFL head coach, it would be no surprise if Fox took a long look at Norv Turner to be the Denver play caller on offense.

What do you think? I hate Turner

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22307838/former-nfl-head-coaches-can-always-find-work

peacepipe
01-04-2013, 08:55 AM
From Jeff Legwold

If Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is hired as an NFL head coach, it would be no surprise if Fox took a long look at Norv Turner to be the Denver play caller on offense.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22307838/former-nfl-head-coaches-can-always-find-work

I don't,norv is a great OC,just not a good HC.

bronco militia
01-04-2013, 08:58 AM
until this year, Norval pretty much owned the Broncos. He would be a solid OC

Lestat
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
From Jeff Legwold

sick OC and QB coach. terrible HC and decision maker as the head honcho.

TonyR
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
From Jeff Legwold

The guys at IAOFM have been saying this is laughable and I tend to agree. Norv is a system guy and doesn't match up at all with PM.

From today:

Add Legwold to the list of hacks who don't realize that Norv Turner's Air Coryell system is about as specific a scheme as it gets, and would never in a million years be brought to Denver while Peyton Manning is the QB, as he suggests could happen if McCoy ends up leaving. http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/bill-obrien-loyal-humble-state-employee-lard

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
From Jeff Legwold

Oh hell yes!!! Norval will run the ball!

ZONA
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
lol, I'm happy for McCoy, it's a well deserved promotion IMHO.

Why are you happy for him, he hasn't got any promotion as of yet. And don't forget last year he had and interview with Miami and then a 2nd interview with Miami and everybody thought for sure it was his job and he ended up getting past over.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Why are you happy for him, he hasn't got any promotion as of yet. And don't forget last year he had and interview with Miami and then a 2nd interview with Miami and everybody thought for sure it was his job and he ended up getting past over.

you may be right but I think he deserves some credit for being a good OC nonetheless and the fact that he is being considered for HC positions reinforces to this.

peacepipe
01-04-2013, 12:49 PM

McCoy is as good as gone, he'll likely get the Chicago HC or Philly.

UberBroncoMan
01-04-2013, 03:16 PM
From Jeff Legwold

Well Norv would have to be cool with not calling a lot of plays. TBH if he came here his job would be more about film study and gameplanning than anything on gameday outside of adjustments.

He's a classic scheme coach. We really don't fit with him since we're running an Indy style offense.

Punisher
01-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Either the Eagels or Cards anyone will be a dumbass to take the bills job. Well i take that back ill be the Bills HC if they call me.

R8R H8R
01-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I think Norval may be too over-qualfied for the current job, as in he may way too set in his ways and unflexible for what the job entails w/Manning. However, he would be ideal for when it's OZ's team.

jmz313
01-05-2013, 04:12 AM
McCoy going... Thats going to happen. The worry should be who goes with him. Gase could be the new OC under MCCoy if Fox wants to hire experienced OC. Just saying.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 04:23 AM
McCoy going... Thats going to happen. The worry should be who goes with him. Gase could be the new OC under MCCoy if Fox wants to hire experienced OC. Just saying.

Gase is pretty young. I'd like to see Tom Moore brought in to mentor Gase for 2 years.

gyldenlove
01-05-2013, 06:33 AM
The guys at IAOFM have been saying this is laughable and I tend to agree. Norv is a system guy and doesn't match up at all with PM.

From today:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/bill-obrien-loyal-humble-state-employee-lard

I agree with this, Norv is very much a vertical passing guy and that is not the type offence we are going to run. I could see a promotion of Gase to OC.

Butterscotch Stallion
01-05-2013, 07:01 AM
man, if McCoy gets to work with Cam Newton and mold him. that's gonna be unfair to the NFL along with Shanny coaching RGIII

Lmao.

sgbfan
01-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Gase is pretty young. I'd like to see Tom Moore brought in to mentor Gase for 2 years.

This is actually a great idea. Promote Gase to Co-OC so he doesn't flee for a promotion elsewhere and bring in someone for 1-2 years to ease the transition. Would hate to lose OC and QB coach in the same year after doing so well. I'm sure Payton would agree. I have no idea if its realistic though.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 07:18 AM
This is actually a great idea. Promote Gase to Co-OC so he doesn't flee for a promotion elsewhere and bring in someone for 1-2 years to ease the transition. Would hate to lose OC and QB coach in the same year after doing so well. I'm sure Payton would agree. I have no idea if its realistic though.

I think you can go ahead and give Gase the O-cordinator's job and hire Moore as the QBs coach or Special Assistant or something like that, but give Gase the title.

sgbfan
01-05-2013, 07:26 AM
I think you can go ahead and give Gase the O-cordinator's job and hire Moore as the QBs coach or Special Assistant or something like that, but give Gase the title.

Heck, working as OC with Peyton Manning might be enough. Its not like he has to coach up Kolb, Cassell, or Quinn.

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Heck, working as OC with Peyton Manning might be enough. Its not like he has to coach up Kolb, Cassell, or Quinn.

On the practice field yes, but Moore would then tutor Gase off the field, preparation work etc.

Lestat
01-05-2013, 09:54 AM
well, McCoy won't be going to Carolina. they kept Rivera.

the problem i have with Gase as the OC is that he's severely green.
3 total seasons as a QB coach, 2 seasons as a WR coach.
only 8 total seasons as a NFL coach.

i would prefer we hire a OC and let Gase continue to get seasoning until the OC moves on to a HC gig. i figure that would be about 3 years.

Tombstone RJ
01-05-2013, 09:57 AM

good

eddie mac
01-06-2013, 04:48 AM
He wont be going to Buffalo either Marrone appointed there.

He's quickly running out of options and if the Eagles have their way they'll be hiring Chip Kelly.

I also dont believe the Cardinals are leaning in McCoy's direction either.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:06 AM
i'm loving the way this is turning out so far, but i get the feeling the Bears might be lying in wait.

peacepipe
01-06-2013, 10:15 AM

the problem i have with Gase as the OC is that he's severely green.
3 total seasons as a QB coach, 2 seasons as a WR coach.
only 8 total seasons as a NFL coach.

i would prefer we hire a OC and let Gase continue to get seasoning until the OC moves on to a HC gig. i figure that would be about 3 years.

I don' think Carolina was ever an option to begin with.

peacepipe
01-06-2013, 10:18 AM
i'm loving the way this is turning out so far, but i get the feeling the Bears might be lying in wait.

Considering comments made by emery of the bears,& the fact that McCoys interview with the bears will be the longest one of all the interviews,I believe he'll be the next bears HC.

Tombstone RJ
01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
yah, I think Bears will take McCoy. They want a guy who can mold an offense around Cutler.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I don' think Carolina was ever an option to begin with.

well the rumor was that if Carolina dismissed Rivera that they were seeking a offensive minded guy to tutor Cam and elevate the offensive cohesion(as they are not happy about the running game being crap even with 2 high priced RB's)

Lestat
01-06-2013, 10:51 AM
yah, I think Bears will take McCoy. They want a guy who can mold an offense around Cutler.

that still requires an OL and a Cutler to stop throwing WTF Int's though.
i like Cutler but his penchant for trying to prove he can make every throw is simply incredulous.

OrangeSe7en
01-06-2013, 11:03 AM
While it's true that we probably don't give McCoy enough credit, the idea that Manning is our OC is a valid one. I really think Manning's knowledge of the NFL is so evolved that he's the OC.

peacepipe
01-06-2013, 11:18 AM
McCoy is the odds on fav to get the Chicago HC position. Emery stating he wants a coach that can adapt to what he has on the team,makes McCoy an obvious choice.

Lestat
01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
While it's true that we probably don't give McCoy enough credit, the idea that Manning is our OC is a valid one. I really think Manning's knowledge of the NFL is so evolved that he's the OC.

he audibles a lot to fit the composition of the defense.
but the OC is McCoy, Peyton even came in and decided to learn McCoy's entire system before implementing some of the Indy stuff.

Manning has great input in the offense but this is McCoy again adapting to his personnel and playing to their strengths.
Elway has even said McCoy and Gase do things that Manning hadn't seen before and is incorporating it into his repertoire.

McCoy would be a huge loss as Manning does not like change. he likes continuity and having his routine in place.

eddie mac
01-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Dennison is in the Bears mix as well.

i4jelway7
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5KVO1cvpKE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-06-2013, 05:07 PM
Can we get this guy on our coaching staff?!? LOL

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d3fRunvq4hA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UberBroncoMan
01-06-2013, 05:13 PM
Would be rather crazy if to keep both our OC/DC after this year.

NFLBRONCO
01-06-2013, 08:32 PM
He wont be going to Buffalo either Marrone appointed there.

He's quickly running out of options and if the Eagles have their way they'll be hiring Chip Kelly.

I also dont believe the Cardinals are leaning in McCoy's direction either.

Sounds like Kelly is returning to the Ducks

R8R H8R
01-06-2013, 08:54 PM
If McCoy leaves, the OC will be who PM says it will be, and I think that would be Gase. I think they are somewhat close, and pM trusts him. I noticed in his PC's, Manning is mentioning him a lot along with McCoy.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Here's hoping that, whoever the next OC is, he starts using some running back screens. How the **** do you have Moreno on the team, draft Ronnie Hillman, and refuse to use any running back screens all season? It boggles the mind.

R8R H8R
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Here's hoping that, whoever the next OC is, he starts using some running back screens. How the **** do you have Moreno on the team, draft Ronnie Hillman, and refuse to use any running back screens all season? It boggles the mind.

Because DT is better?

lonestar
01-06-2013, 09:33 PM
yah, I think Bears will take McCoy. They want a guy who can mold an offenseive Cutler.

fixed that for you.

Agamemnon
01-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Because DT is better?

Except that most defenses are expecting that now. Besides, screens to running backs are perfect for slowing down the opposing pass rush. Bubble screens not so much.

Hamrob
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
I like McCoy because he is young and flexible when it comes to the QB's he coaches. I think he's a good coach and the Bears provide him the best opportunity.

The Bears need some young guys up front on both sides of the ball. Does Chicago actually have a 1st round pick next year?

NFLBRONCO
01-07-2013, 09:18 AM
I like McCoy because he is young and flexible when it comes to the QB's he coaches. I think he's a good coach and the Bears provide him the best opportunity.

The Bears need some young guys up front on both sides of the ball. Does Chicago actually have a 1st round pick next year?

Agree the Bears are perfect fit.

Lestat
01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
bubble screens are good when they work. they can make the DB's man up on the WR's and freeze before being the extra blitzer.

plus it takes one of the ends out of play because they have to man the edge in case it's a screen or bubble screen.

IHaveALight
01-07-2013, 01:25 PM
Except that most defenses are expecting that now. Besides, screens to running backs are perfect for slowing down the opposing pass rush. Bubble screens not so much.

Apparently there is a flaw with the number 2 scoring offense that currently is in an 11 game winning streak.

Oh, wait...

Requiem
01-07-2013, 01:37 PM
McCoy with Cutler, Marshall and an emerging Jeffrey would go dummy in Chicago. They need to start throwing to Kellen Davis more. He is like 6'7 - 270 pounds, but has to babysit the retards on their OL. Those guys are big targets. Earl Bennett ain't too shabby.

Lestat
01-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Davis is solid but they need a stud pass catching TE, Olsen was very good but they booted him due to Martz hating catching TE's.

DBroncos4life
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Allegedly Mike Singletary is being interviewed by the Bears. LOL

baja
01-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Q: I am curious if the Broncos lose (offensive coordinator) Mike McCoy — which seems like it will happen — who replaces him?
A: Shawn, the Broncos' success has kept McCoy on teams' radar this season, but their playoff schedule may actually prevent him from securing a job unless one of his suitors shows a little patience in the coming weeks.
The Bills originally scheduled an interview with McCoy for Saturday, an interview that was still on the docket until Friday night when the team wanted to reschedule. What they were actually doing was hiring Syracuse coach Doug Marrone for the job, a deal completed this past weekend.
McCoy formally met with the Cardinals on Saturday to go with the Eagles and Bears on Sunday. The Bears have told at least some candidates they would like to bring the two "finalists" into Halas Hall in Lake Forest, Ill. — the team's practice complex — within the next week or so.
That would seem to leave McCoy out of the mix if the Broncos win their playoff opener Saturday. Some in the league believe Chicago, in search of somebody to repair an offense that has floundered, is the best fit for McCoy if he were to leave.
Arizona has serious quarterback issues, and the organization is considered a bit out of synch by many in the league — that it's hard for the head coach to get things done that need to be done. The Cardinals have interviewed their own defensive coordinator — Ray Horton, a highly respected assistant — along with McCoy.

Read more: Broncos have options if Mike McCoy takes job as head coach elsewhere - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_22325626/broncos-have-options-if-mike-mccoy-takes-job#ixzz2HOz61joV
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse