PDA

View Full Version : Schefter: Interest in Del Rio is pretty low....for now

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Adam Schefter on ESPN Radio just mentioned that Del Rio is not a name that is coming up a lot in coaching searches. Apparently the bad blood between the FO and him have made some wary, at least initially.

He said he doesn't expect Del Rio to be hired away until maybe next year. That of course could change as the interview process goes on and as new GM's are installed.

SoCalBronco
01-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Good.

BMarsh615
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
I hope we can hang on to both but if we were to lose one I would rather lose McCoy than Del Rio. It would be nice to have some continuity on that side of the ball for once, and having a guy like Manning would help alleviate some the struggles that come with bringing in a new OC.

socalorado
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
$$$USC$$$
JDR will just wait for Kiffin to fall next year.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 01:19 PM
thank God. we need to keep him for at least another 2-3 years. our window to contend with Peyton is about that and we need a great DC here for multiple years.
would love it if he became our Dick Lebeau.

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Maybe he called all the teams and told them he is not available for a HC'ing job. ;)

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Les Shapiro floated the idea that Fox has mentioned this is his last stop as a head coach regardless and perhaps Del Rio will just take over after Fox retires.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Hey guys, I don't know about how most of the OM feels, but I for one am hoping that we are able to somehow retain JDR.

Flame away.

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
$$$USC$$$

While I prefer that he stays, I would LOVE to have JDR as the USC coach.

TonyR
01-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Hey guys, I don't know about how most of the OM feels, but I for one am hoping that we are able to somehow retain JDR.

JDR or Jim Haslett? I think we need a poll...

bronco militia
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Apparently the bad blood between the FO and him have made some wary, at least initially.

so he told other FO's to **** off? :)

Doggcow
01-02-2013, 01:31 PM
Good.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
so he told other FO's to **** off? :)

I think he slept with Elway's wife.

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Les Shapiro floated the idea that Fox has mentioned this is his last stop as a head coach regardless and perhaps Del Rio will just take over after Fox retires.

I, and a couple of others have mentioned this scenario in other threads. I would be very comfortable with this. I think by that time, both Elway & JDR will be able to figure out if they can work together.

ColoradoDarin
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
/yeah, **** yeah gif.

24champ
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
$$$USC$$$

Personally, I hope they give Lamey Kiffin an extension.

U$C had another decommit today, that's four by my count.

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 01:37 PM

Flame away.

STONE HIM!!! STONE HIM!!!

:chairhit::redpunch::gripe::cuss::bash::gus:

BroncoMan4ever
01-02-2013, 01:39 PM
I think he slept with Elway's wife.

Who wouldn't if given the opportunity?
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/paige.jpg

I'd hit it.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Who wouldn't if given the opportunity?

I'd hit it.

i knew John was a winner but damn. i didn't know she looked like that.
that's as good or better a recruiting job than Bret Bielema.

socalorado
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Personally, I hope they give Lamey Kiffin an extension.

U$C had another decommit today, that's four by my count.

Doubtful.
I dont want JDR to go either, but its the ultimate coaching gig.
Flip flops and shorts every day.
And JDR would get the recruiting back to top 5 in the nation.
I guess we just wait and see. I am just glad its looking like he stays in DEN
for another year at least.

Ray Finkle
01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm happy as JDR should remain the DC....I'd be leery with him as the HC though. He's like the Norv Turner of DC's.

TheReverend
01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
Been saying this all season, but always more comforting to hear it from Schefter :)

TerrElway
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM

Always remember, no matter how hot she is, somewhere there is some guy who is sick of her bull****.

Wise words my father told me to remember if I was ever considering an affair! Hilarious!

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Been saying this all season, but always more comforting to hear it from Schefter :)

While he is pretty accurate with all teams, he probably gets his Bronco news directly from Elway, Bowlen, and/or Matt Russell.

pricejj
01-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Why are her arms/shoulders bigger than mine?

NFLBRONCO
01-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Of course but, when top choice is gone JDR will get calls

bronco militia
01-02-2013, 02:21 PM

LOL

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSjBHtUFsV341XO4w1mYEBGiDeFcyoLY NC2N7Ge9Qc6b5bBFXznVQo0ub21rw

Greatspirits
01-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Yay! I was wondering why his name hasn't popped up anywhere.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 03:10 PM
Always remember, no matter how hot she is, somewhere there is some guy who is sick of her bull****.

Wise words my father told me to remember if I was ever considering an affair! Hilarious!

lol, so true. as my dad always used to say. every woman has the same thing between their legs, the only difference between them is how they look and how they treat you.

DBroncos4life
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM

Because you are a weak dainty man ???

Bacchus
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Because you are a pussy???

broncswin
01-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Because you are a...oh man I had that one to!!

Ray Finkle
01-02-2013, 04:01 PM

Bet she has a bigger penis tooLOL

gyldenlove
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Adam Schefter on ESPN Radio just mentioned that Del Rio is not a name that is coming up a lot in coaching searches. Apparently the bad blood between the FO and him have made some wary, at least initially.

He said he doesn't expect Del Rio to be hired away until maybe next year. That of course could change as the interview process goes on and as new GM's are installed.

Doesn't surprise me, I think people knows he is a capable defensive coordinator who was decent but never really took the next step despite plenty of chances in Jacksonville, a lot of teams have been burned by that type of coach recently, like the 49ers, Chiefs, Browns, Jets, Rams.

I imagine another year of Denver's defense being at the top of the league will cause some owner to forget the way things ended in Jacksonville and give him a 2nd shot.

Dedhed
01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping we can get 3 years from JDR. I think we could develop the best D in the league during that time and we should have enough continuity that one of the position coaches could then take over the DC job and not miss a beat.

If he leaves this year or next I think we'll have some adjustment pains and stagnate on that side of the ball a bit.

mkporter
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM

I hope you are asking yourself that question..

Dr. Broncenstein
01-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Aww he's a widdle guy.

Action
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
How many defensive coaches are considered hot for head coaches these days considering the NFL is an offensive league now?

ZONA
01-02-2013, 05:42 PM
So back to this "bad blood" thing between JDR and the FO. Is that the FO in Jacksonville or Elway? How would there be bad blood between him and Elway. They've only been working together for less then a year and the defense has been successful thus far. I would think maybe Schefter is referring to the FO in Jacksonville.

I didn't think there would be a lot of interest in JDR right now. He was in Jacksonville a long long time and really didn't do much. I think he would have to put in a few years at least here with a dominant defense before there was much interest again.

Old Dude
01-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Best job any DC's done here in a long while. I hope he sticks around at least a couple more years.

Dr. Broncenstein
01-02-2013, 06:13 PM
How many defensive coaches are considered hot for head coaches these days considering the NFL is an offensive league now?

Defensive coaches have no chance in this league. For example: Bill Belichick, John Fox, Chuck Pagano, Mike Smith, Leslie Frazier, and Pete Carrol... you know, about half of the head coaches in the current post season.

Durango
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
I posted this in the HC thread, but it seems more directly relevant here. Del Rio commented on the coaching carousel going on right now with the possibility he might be seen as a candidate when you consider the sheer number of head jobs available right now.

"When you're a young guy and you haven't been there, the urgency and desire to get that opportunity is such that you'd take just about any job given to you," said Del Rio, who was in charge in Jacksonville for nine seasons. "I don't feel that way now. If there's something that fits and the right situation comes along, so be it. But in the meantime, I'm all in, 100 percent as a lieutenant on this staff. I'm somebody that John Fox, John Elway ... and the players can count on. I'm 100 percent invested in helping them be their best."

UberBroncoMan
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM

She's a former Raiderette.

extralife
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
don't worry guys, someone will come last minute and pry him away. we aren't going to have the same DC two years in a row. not going to happen. he'll get hit by a meteorite if that's what it takes

Action
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Defensive coaches have no chance in this league. For example: Bill Belichick, John Fox, Chuck Pagano, Mike Smith, Leslie Frazier, and Pete Carrol... you know, about half of the head coaches in the current post season.

... how does that even answer my post?

Did I say anything about defensive coaches having no chance in this league?

theAPAOps5
01-02-2013, 06:46 PM
So back to this "bad blood" thing between JDR and the FO. Is that the FO in Jacksonville or Elway? How would there be bad blood between him and Elway. They've only been working together for less then a year and the defense has been successful thus far. I would think maybe Schefter is referring to the FO in Jacksonville.

I didn't think there would be a lot of interest in JDR right now. He was in Jacksonville a long long time and really didn't do much. I think he would have to put in a few years at least here with a dominant defense before there was much interest again.

There was bad blood btw JDR and the Jacksonville FO.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 07:15 PM

Dom Capers(DC Packers),Mike Zimmer(DC Bengals),Winston Moss(LB Packers),Ray Horton(DC Cardinals),Perry Fewell(DC Giants)
those are the top guys that have a defensive background and are currently defensive coaches in the NFL.
most college head coaches and assistants getting huge run as a potential HC have a offensive background or focus.

JDR and the Jacksonville front office had some serious bad blood between them in the last years of his run there. that's where all the rumors of him being lazy came from.

She's a former Raiderette.
Something tells me she's got more than enough "Bronco" in her now ;)

Action
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Dom Capers(DC Packers),Mike Zimmer(DC Bengals),Winston Moss(LB Packers),Ray Horton(DC Cardinals),Perry Fewell(DC Giants)
those are the top guys that have a defensive background and are currently defensive coaches in the NFL.
most college head coaches and assistants getting huge run as a potential HC have a offensive background or focus.

Haven't been following in that detail but have they been offered any interviews?

I know Fewell, Capers name has been around for a while...and Mike Zimmer was a name I read a few times during the season to be up for a HC job.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 07:37 PM
... how does that even answer my post?

Did I say anything about defensive coaches having no chance in this league?

God, you hurt my ****ing head:

2012 New Hires:
Schiano - Defensive
Pagano - Defensive
Allen - Defensive
Fisher - Defensive
Mularky - Offensive
Philbin - Offensive

2011 New Hires:
Rivera - Defensive
Fox - Defensive
Frazier - Defensive
Crennel - Defensive
Shurmer - Offensive
Garrett - Offensive
Jackson - Offensive
Munchack - Offensive
Harbaugh - Offensive

Yep, no one is looking at defensive coaches "these days" except for over half of the teams looking for new head coaches the last two years.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Haven't been following in that detail but have they been offered any interviews?

I know Fewell, Capers name has been around for a while...and Mike Zimmer was a name I read a few times during the season to be up for a HC job.

Seems Fewell gets the interviews each year so teams can meet the Rooney rule requirement

bowtown
01-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Seems Fewell gets the interviews each year so teams can meet the Rooney rule requirement

I don't think Fewell will be getting any interview invitations this year.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Horton interviewed for the Cards coaching gig, partly to satisfy the rooney rule in case they wanted to move ahead and hire Reid. he also interviewed with the Browns and is supposed to interview with the Bills.

Mike Nolan interviewed with the Eagles, forgot to mention him in my earlier post.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think Fewell will be getting any interview invitations this year.

that Giants D has had talent issues for a long time. they have no true LB's to speak of outside of Herzlich and he's developing, the rest were draft busts or converted DE's.
the DB's outside of Stevie Brown were ok or bad. their strength is their DL and defensively that's about all they're good at drafting.

bowtown
01-03-2013, 09:45 AM
that Giants D has had talent issues for a long time. they have no true LB's to speak of outside of Herzlich and he's developing, the rest were draft busts or converted DE's.
the DB's outside of Stevie Brown were ok or bad. their strength is their DL and defensively that's about all they're good at drafting.

I agree with all of this, but their DLine was not impressive this year for the most part. I watched too many games where they were getting almost no pressure up front. Their secondary has always been average but their line made up for it and has always made that D and NY's DCs look better than they are. They were no longer doing that this year. I think with Marvin Lewis out there, no one is probably going to give Perry much of a look this year to fill their Rooney quota.

Bronco Yoda
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
good

TonyR
01-03-2013, 09:50 AM
I think with Marvin Lewis out there, no one is probably going to give Perry much of a look this year to fill their Rooney quota.

LOL Marvin Lewis is the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. Maybe they all look the same to you? Hilarious!

Chris
01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
I agree with all of this, but their DLine was not impressive this year for the most part. I watched too many games where they were getting almost no pressure up front. Their secondary has always been average but their line made up for it and has always made that D and NY's DCs look better than they are. They were no longer doing that this year. I think with Marvin Lewis out there, no one is probably going to give Perry much of a look this year to fill their Rooney quota.

Case in point Steve Spaghetti. Prince has been an off injured disappointment. Blackburn could only pretend to be a starter for so long. Outside of JPP they like is getting old.

pricejj
01-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Case in point Steve Spaghetti. Prince has been an off injured disappointment. Blackburn could only pretend to be a starter for so long. Outside of JPP they like is getting old.

Was JPP getting double-teamed a lot this year, or what? He only finished with 6.5 sacks.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
01-03-2013, 10:50 AM
will you scrub teams quit trying to taking our players and coaches away it wont do you any good you still be a scrub loser team . you will just end up cutting firing the player and coaches you hire when you dont get to the playoffs and or the superbowl.
your team will always be scrubs if you hire a coach from the Broncos you just fire him after a few years. you dont got a excellent offense and defense you scrubs the reason manning passed your scrub team over is because no matter what you do you will always suck. so please spare yourself the embarrassment and just hire some college coach that you will fire anyways after a few years.
or some scrub from New england oh btw there is a awesome QB in new york he hasnt been able to start but hes available for a bargain

bowtown
01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
LOL Marvin Lewis is the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals. Maybe they all look the same to you? Hilarious!

Oops... Lovie Smith.

Racist = Me

Irish Stout
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
I'm a bit surprised Studesville isn't getting any interest from outside teams. Maybe not as a HC possibility, but he did take over for McD and has done a good job with whatever RBs have come through here.

mkporter
01-03-2013, 02:25 PM

He's very articulate.

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
He's very articulate.

I believe you mean "well spoken"

bowtown
01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
I believe you mean "well spoken"

I believe you mean "McCaffrey-esque"

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I believe you mean "McCaffrey-esque"

Only if you close your eyes.

What I mean is, "He reminds me of Colin Powell".

peacepipe
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm a bit surprised Studesville isn't getting any interest from outside teams. Maybe not as a HC possibility, but he did take over for McD and has done a good job with whatever RBs have come through here.

Position coaches rarely,if ever,get the opportunity to become HC.

bowtown
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
Only if you close your eyes.

What I mean is, "He reminds me of Colin Powell".

... or RGIII

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
... or RGIII

I was totally going to use that one, esp for the recent controversy relevance, but figured it didn't fit Frazier well enough.

Yes, I did put that much thought to it. I need to go do something else now...

jerseyboiler120
01-03-2013, 03:53 PM
will you scrub teams quit trying to taking our players and coaches away it wont do you any good you still be a scrub loser team . you will just end up cutting firing the player and coaches you hire when you dont get to the playoffs and or the superbowl.
your team will always be scrubs if you hire a coach from the Broncos you just fire him after a few years. you dont got a excellent offense and defense you scrubs the reason manning passed your scrub team over is because no matter what you do you will always suck. so please spare yourself the embarrassment and just hire some college coach that you will fire anyways after a few years.
or some scrub from New england oh btw there is a awesome QB in new york he hasnt been able to start but hes available for a bargain

That's an awesome post ^5^5

Lestat
01-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Position coaches rarely,if ever,get the opportunity to become HC.

if you mean strictly NFL then yes. but often times they get HC jobs in college.
though Sean Payton was assistant HC and QB's coach with the Cowboys before getting the Saints job. Mike Munchak was the OL coach before becoming Titans HC.

it happens rarely but it does happen when the candidate is hot enough of a name around the league or familiar with the franchise.

TonyR
01-03-2013, 06:33 PM
if you mean strictly NFL then yes. but often times they get HC jobs in college.
though Sean Payton was assistant HC and QB's coach with the Cowboys before getting the Saints job. Mike Munchak was the OL coach before becoming Titans HC.

it happens rarely but it does happen when the candidate is hot enough of a name around the league or familiar with the franchise.

Couple more examples: Andy Reid was QB coach for Green Bay before going to the Eagles. John Harbaugh was the Eagles ST coach before going to Baltimore.

Lestat
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Couple more examples: Andy Reid was QB coach for Green Bay before going to the Eagles. John Harbaugh was the Eagles ST coach before going to Baltimore.

i get what you mean and thought about that before i posted my list. but ST isn't really a pure position coach, it's more of a coordinator position, which is why Toub and DeCamllis are in demand for potential HC spots.

but i did remember Harbaugh and that some HC's were coordinators for only one season before becoming a HC. Pagano,Tomlin,Allen.

TonyR
01-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Del Rio expected to stay.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/53390/broncos-may-keep-jack-del-rio

broncobum6162
01-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I hope we can hang on to both but if we were to lose one I would rather lose McCoy than Del Rio. It would be nice to have some continuity on that side of the ball for once, and having a guy like Manning would help alleviate some the struggles that come with bringing in a new OC.

McCoy? Are you kidding? Good riddance....Yes Im bitter.....:wave: