PDA

View Full Version : Derek Wolfe compared against his peers. Alliance unite!

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Derek Wolfe finished his rookie season with 26 tackles, 14 assited for 40 total. 6 sacks and 2 passes defensed.

Here is how he compared to his peers who played on the defensive line. I will include both DE's and DT's since Wolfe plays both ways. There may be some D-linemen that play linebacker listed, so I used my criterion as D-linemen as they were in the combine.

Note: I will only list the defensive linemen drafted in last years' class that made a significant contribution on their teams. This means more than a few starts on special teams. If players didn't play or only played spot duty, they will not be listed here.

Dontari Poe - 38 tackles, lol round 1 (pick 11)
Fletcher cox - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 12)
michael brockers - 31 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 14)
Bruce Irvin - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 FF, round 1 (pick 15)
Quinton Coples - 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 16)
Shea McClellin - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 19)
Chandler Jones - 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, round 1 (pick 21)
Andre Branch - 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, round 2
Kendall Reyes - 28 tackles, 5.5 sacks round 2
Jerel Worthy - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, round 2
Devon Still - 14 tackles, .5 sacks 1 forced fumble, round 2
Olivier Vernon - 31 tackles, 3.5 sacks 1 ff, round 3
Mike Martin - 37 tackles, 3 sacks, round 3
John Hughes - 34 tackles 3 sacks, round 3
Akiem Hicks - 20 tackles, 1 forced fumble round 3
Frank Alexander - 18 tackles 2.5 sacks round 4
Jared Crick - 19 tackles round 4
Mike Daniels - 12 tackles 2 sacks round 4
Billy Winn - 26 tk 1 sack 1 int round 6
Greg Scruggs - 6 tackles 2 sacks round 7

Wolfe tied for second with all rookies in his class with 6 sacks. He also was second in rookie D-linemen for tackles.

Not bad for a white kid who looks like he sells Meth, huh Req?

Side note, the Seahawks really did well this draft. They were mocked for drafting Irvin, and look at how they are squeezing 2 sacks out of Scruggs at the end of the draft.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:19 AM
Derek Wolfe finished his rookie season with 26 tackles, 14 assited for 40 total. 6 sacks and 2 passes defensed.

Here is how he compared to his peers who played on the defensive line. I will include both DE's and DT's since Wolfe plays both ways. There may be some D-linemen that play linebacker listed, so I used my criterion as D-linemen as they were in the combine.

Note: I will only list the defensive linemen drafted in last years' class that made a significant contribution on their teams. This means more than a few starts on special teams. If players didn't play or only played spot duty, they will not be listed here.

Dontari Poe - 38 tackles, lol round 1 (pick 11)
Fletcher cox - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 12)
michael brockers - 31 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 14)
Bruce Irvin - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 FF, round 1 (pick 15)
Quinton Coples - 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 16)
Shea McClellin - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 19)
Chandler Jones - 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, round 1 (pick 21)
Andre Branch - 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, round 2
Kendall Reyes - 28 tackles, 5.5 sacks round 2
Jerel Worthy - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, round 2
Devon Still - 14 tackles, .5 sacks 1 forced fumble, round 2
Olivier Vernon - 31 tackles, 3.5 sacks 1 ff, round 3
Mike Martin - 37 tackles, 3 sacks, round 3
John Hughes - 34 tackles 3 sacks, round 3
Akiem Hicks - 20 tackles, 1 forced fumble round 3
Frank Alexander - 18 tackles 2.5 sacks round 4
Jared Crick - 19 tackles round 4
Mike Daniels - 12 tackles 2 sacks round 4
Billy Winn - 26 tk 1 sack 1 int round 6
Greg Scruggs - 6 tackles 2 sacks round 7

Wolfe tied for second with all rookies in his class with 6 sacks. He also lead all rookie D-linement in tackles.

Not bad for a white kid who looks like he sells Meth, huh Req?

Side note, the Seahawks really did well this draft. They were mocked for drafting Irvin, and look at how they are squeezing 2 sacks out of Scruggs at the end of the draft.

Actually, he was second in tackles to Chandler Jones whom he also tied for the sacks lead. Who drafted Jones again in the OM draft??? Oh yeah, that was me!

Overall, Wolfe made an impact in his rookie season and improved dramatically down the stretch as most rookies fade. I am very happy with his first year performance and most definitely his upside. He looks to be as good as advertised and much better than his draft position indicated....

SoCalBronco
01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
6 sacks for a rookie lineman is really good. I wonder what his secret is...

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Price thought crick would do better than Wolfe...

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Actually, he was second in tackles to Chandler Jones whom he also tied for the sacks lead.
I have made the correction! Still pretty good!

pricejj
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Wolfe was actually 2nd in tackles (to Jones) Kaylore...

Derek Wolfe was nothing short of spectacular this year. He would have had a couple more sacks if not for a Dumervil offsides, and Miller's insane speed. Wolfe was even able to overcome the 30-sack performance from the Miller/Dumervil combo to record a sack in 3 straight games to close out the season.

Early in the year, several posters brought Wolfe's speed and power into question, however the former lifting champion workaholic quickly silenced the critics, and by the end of the season was consistently collapsing the pocket, while also stopping the interior run game (almost unheard of from a rookie)...he did all this, while playing every position on the Defensive line.

None of the other rookie Defensive lineman come close to Wolfe in versatility, while Wolfe even outperformed even the marquis rookie DE's in rushing the passer, with all of his sacks coming from the DT position.

I wanted the Broncos to draft Wolfe, because I thought (before the season) that he could affect the game in a way that would help lead to the Broncos to the Superbowl. The dream is alive, as the Broncos enter the playoffs.

pricejj
01-02-2013, 09:35 AM

You are wrong. I liked both players leading up to the combine, and heavily advocated for Wolfe in the month leading up to the draft.

I previously considered Crick for a 2nd round pick, but he dropped off my board, due to several of his measurables at the combine.

Wolfe was my dream pick, and we got him.

Check my posts.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I have made the correction! Still pretty good!

It's actually very good. He got much better as the season progressed and avoided the typical rookie injury games, unlike Chandler Jones who missed 2 and the majority of another. I am big time happy with his play this year, let alone compared to his peers where he definitely excelled. Should be on the all rookie team as a DT IMHO.

Drunken.Broncoholic
01-02-2013, 09:37 AM
You are wrong. I liked both players leading up to the combine, and heavily advocated for Wolfe in the month leading up to the draft.

Check my posts.

Ok maybe I got you confused with half the board that didnt want Wolfe. Still though, Crick?

gyldenlove
01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Wolfe was 3rd in the league among 4-3 DTs in sacks behind Suh and Geno Atkins I believe.

DENVERDUI55
01-02-2013, 09:40 AM

I previously considered Crick for a 2nd round pick, but he dropped off my board, due to several of his measurables at the combine.

Check my posts.

I checked your post and couldn't find anything at all on Crick. Did you erase the thread?

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
6 sacks for a rookie lineman is really good. I wonder what his secret is...

It is impressive considering he didn't even play every down and in every situation. I would like to point out both Miller and Dumevil's sack totals went up from last year. Do you think Wolfe is <s>selling</s> sharing his "secret" with his teammates?

It's actually very good. He got much better as the season progressed and avoided the typical rookie injury games, unlike Chandler Jones who missed 2 and the majority of another. I am big time happy with his play this year, let alone compared to his peers where he definitely excelled. Should be on the all rookie team as a DT IMHO.

No doubt. Jones has been great. If he hadn't missed time he would be even more productive.

I will point out that Wolfe has more solo tackles than Jones does (26 to 24). And this is on a defensive line that has played pretty well this season, so that is something right there!

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Wolfe was actually 2nd in tackles (to Jones) Kaylore...

Derek Wolfe was nothing short of spectacular this year. He would have had a couple more sacks if not for a Dumervil offsides, and Miller's insane speed. Wolfe was even able to overcome the 30-sack performance from the Miller/Dumervil combo to record a sack in 3 straight games to close out the season.

Early in the year, several posters brought Wolfe's speed and power into question, however the former lifting champion workaholic quickly silenced the critics, and by the end of the season was consistently collapsing the pocket, while also stopping the interior run game (almost unheard of from a rookie)...he did all this, while playing every position on the Defensive line.

None of the other rookie Defensive lineman come close to Wolfe in versatility, while Wolfe even outperformed even the marquis rookie DE's in rushing the passer, with all of his sacks coming from the DT position.

I wanted the Broncos to draft Wolfe, because I thought (before the season) that he could affect the game in a way that would help lead to the Broncos to the Superbowl. The dream is alive, as the Broncos enter the playoffs.

Jones is actually just as versatile as Wolfe, and he can play DE/DT or in a 3-4 or 4-3. I really wanted him for DEN, but Wolfe has been a tremendous player as a rookie and is constantly improving.

He was by far a tremendous value pick that no one wanted to see or admit after the draft, because he was not a big name guy and they manipulated the board to get him when other big name guys were on peoples expectations list. Have to wait and see with rookies, but he had the right mentality to me coming out and I am very glad DEN got him and won on value to get him!

pricejj
01-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Jones is actually just as versatile as Wolfe, and he can play DE/DT or in a 3-4 or 4-3. I really wanted him for DEN, but Wolfe has been a tremendous player as a rookie and is constantly improving.

Jones cannot play DT effectively (and has not played at that position). He is too light (265 lbs.) and too weak (22 bench reps). Wolfe can, and that's exactly what the Broncos need.

I am happy that the Patriots will be starting Jones at RDE (the premier pass rushing position) for the next several years, because he does not have the skills to consistently rush the passer in the NFL. Long-armed NFL Tackles consistently stone-wall him. Jones doesn't have the moves, speed (4.87 forty), or strength to ever be great in the NFL. Not to mention the guy is injury prone. Jones has an inconsistent motor, and was sporadic in his ability to stop the run.

I don't think Jones is a bust, but I wouldn't want him playing on the Broncos. At RDE, you want a pass-rushing phenom in today's NFL. Jones is not that...not even close.

I think Wolfe can easily average 50 tackles and 7 sacks over his NFL career at DT. Those are elite numbers.

Jones didn't record a single sack in the last half of the season (similar to his college career). I think Jones can put up 60 tackles a year (if he stays healthy), but anything less than 8 sacks a year from the DE position is below average...and more indicative of a strongside LDE. There's a reason the Patriots finished at the bottom of the league in sacks, and they will continue to do so unless they acquire a good pass-rusher at RDE. Ninkovich had a better year than Jones, and Wilfork is still in his prime.

I would pick Wolfe over Jones any day of the week.

barryr
01-02-2013, 11:08 AM
I liked the pick of Wolfe and I liked Reyes even more and he was solid as a rookie too. I also stated back then that I preferred Cousins at QB over Osweiler and Cousins played very well when given a chance to play this year.

FearLanier
01-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Dontari Poe was the 4th best NT against the run this season according to Pro Football Focus.

Not bad for a rookie.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 11:36 AM
The Bengals, Broncos, Patriots and Seahawks all had good luck with their D-linemen this year. All four are in the playoffs.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Dontari Poe was the 4th best NT against the run this season according to Pro Football Focus.

Not bad for a rookie.

I still struggle with how those guys (PFF) grade plays and apply them, but that is not a bad thing at all. I admittedly hate watching too much of the chiefs games this year to agree or not. Not enough time anymore...

Bmore Manning
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
The Bengals, Broncos, Patriots and Seahawks all had good luck with their D-linemen this year. All four are in the playoffs.

The Bengals and Seahwaks continue to draft for their DLine each year despite how strong both units are.

The Bengals drafted Devon Still and Brandon Thompson, and they already have Adkins, Peko, and Sims in the rotation.

I'm hoping we can draft to the strength of the draft (DL) this April, even though the unit played well..

Action
01-02-2013, 11:42 AM
I liked the pick of Wolfe and I liked Reyes even more and he was solid as a rookie too. I also stated back then that I preferred Cousins at QB over Osweiler and Cousins played very well when given a chance to play this year.

Cousins was further developed that Brock to considering he started for 3 years, stayed there for 4...

Oz only started a year in college and went to the NFL at 22.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
The Bengals and Seahwaks continue to draft for their DLine each year despite how strong both units are.

The Bengals drafted Devon Still and Brandon Thompson, and they already have Adkins, Peko, and Sims in the rotation.

I'm hoping we can draft to the strength of the draft (DL) this April, even though the unit played well..

This EXACTLY why you go BPA in a draft and do not draft for need.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Jones cannot play DT effectively (and has not played at that position). He is too light (265 lbs.) and too weak (22 bench reps). Wolfe can, and that's exactly what the Broncos need.

I am happy that the Patriots will be starting Jones at RDE (the premier pass rushing position) for the next several years, because he does not have the skills to consistently rush the passer in the NFL. Long-armed NFL Tackles consistently stone-wall him. Jones doesn't have the moves, speed (4.87 forty), or strength to ever be great in the NFL. Not to mention the guy is injury prone. Jones has an inconsistent motor, and was sporadic in his ability to stop the run.

I don't think Jones is a bust, but I wouldn't want him playing on the Broncos. At RDE, you want a pass-rushing phenom in today's NFL. Jones is not that...not even close.

I think Wolfe can easily average 50 tackles and 7 sacks over his NFL career at DT. Those are elite numbers.

Jones didn't record a single sack in the last half of the season (similar to his college career). I think Jones can put up 60 tackles a year (if he stays healthy), but anything less than 8 sacks a year from the DE position is below average...and more indicative of a strongside LDE. There's a reason the Patriots finished at the bottom of the league in sacks, and they will continue to do so unless they acquire a good pass-rusher at RDE. Ninkovich had a better year than Jones, and Wilfork is still in his prime.

I would pick Wolfe over Jones any day of the week.

I think you are pidgeon holing Jones and not seeing his versatility at all. He plays the Richard Seymour Role in NE and plays all along their fronts and inside to rush the passer in the nickle occasionally. He can also play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE.

Is he a world beater right out of the box like Von was last year, no. But he has tremendous upside and I question your sporadic run defense and inconsistent Motor comments. Belichick would not tolerate, draft, or start such a player on his defense. If anything, he got schooled for being a rookie occasionally just like Wolfe did. Jones will be a standout player on that DL for years to come and I still wish DEN had drafted him.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
once Poe got his head out of his ass he was pretty good and starting playing like a solid pick. i think he will be fine in the future.

i wish we had been able to get Coples and Wolfe, that would have been excellent and secured the DL for many years.

FearLanier
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
Bengals also got another good DL in Wallace Gilberry. He is a backup that has 6 sacks. I hated it that KC let this guy go.

Action
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

Not sure it's necessary BPA rather than just them putting high values on dlineman.

I mean, the dline is a common position to stack up on due to injuries and the fact you can easily rotate without missing a beat.

You won't see a team draft a QB or a TE or a safety because it's BPA and they have no chance to get any playing time.

Bmore Manning
01-02-2013, 12:31 PM
I think you are pidgeon holing Jones and not seeing his versatility at all. He plays the Richard Seymour Role in NE and plays all along their fronts and inside to rush the passer in the nickle occasionally. He can also play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE.

Is he a world beater right out of the box like Von was last year, no. But he has tremendous upside and I question your sporadic run defense and inconsistent Motor comments. Belichick would not tolerate, draft, or start such a player on his defense. If anything, he got schooled for being a rookie occasionally just like Wolfe did. Jones will be a standout player on that DL for years to come and I still wish DEN had drafted him.

Price has his own evaluation methods. He is strictly a number guy and it's obvious. He called Star a second round draft pick this year at best, this before having seen him play. He just went by the raw numbers and stats, which doesn't always tell the whole story. I know he's doing the same thing with Jones, because anyone who watches knows how important and flexible he is for the defense. Price means well but the eye test paints a far better picture then the numbers alone.

TheReverend
01-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Jenkins was still the "right" pick, but let's be real Meth is a much better long-term motivator than Weed, so AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dedhed
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM

The luxury of drafting well is that it's much easier to adhere to the BPA philosophy once you have a solid roster fleshed out like we currently do. Other than MLB we don't really have a glaring need anywhere on the roster.

That makes it much easier to sit back and take the best talent on the board;although Elway deserves a ton of credit for showing the discipline to apply that philosophy, and not reach for players, even when the roster was full of holes.

It's in stark contrast to Shanahan's "shiny object" appraoch to the draft.

TheReverend
01-02-2013, 12:54 PM
The luxury of drafting well is that it's much easier to adhere to the BPA philosophy once you have a solid roster fleshed out like we currently do. Other than MLB we don't really have a glaring need anywhere on the roster.

That makes it much easier to sit back and take the best talent on the board;although Elway deserves a ton of credit for showing the discipline to apply that philosophy, and not reach for players, even when the roster was full of holes.

...Where have you been?

R8R H8R
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM

My thoughts exactly. If we do get a MLB, rest assured it will be a Fox/JDR pick(assuming JDR is still on the staff). Elway gets the ultimate credit, but I am sure he defers defensive players to Fox.

SeedReaver
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
Jenkins was still the "right" pick, but let's be real Meth is a much better long-term motivator than Weed, so AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Agreed, Jenkins has been a stud, but I've been perfectly happy with Wolfe. I feel like Wolfe was a bigger 'need' than Jenkins as well, with how Chris Harris has been playing. Champ/Jenkins w/ Harris at Nickel would have been studly though.

DivineLegion
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Technically due to Denver's scheme, Wolfe would be considered a 3-4 DE.

colonelbeef
01-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Wolfe is the perfect compliment to Dumervil and VM. Great pick by Elway.

Dedhed
01-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Technically due to Denver's scheme, Wolfe would be considered a 3-4 DE.

Um... what?

Bmore Manning
01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Um... what?

Our big three, Vick, Bannan, Wolfe are all two gapping in a read and react scheme playing the run first. I myself didn't think we two gapped everywhere and it's not very noticeable. But the first read of our line is to play the run in a two gap scheme.

broncocalijohn
01-02-2013, 01:56 PM

I think Pricejj covered every basis for every rookie DT/DE. He had it all nailed perfectly or blew it badly. It just depends on when you opened a thread of his.

DivineLegion
01-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Um... what?

What BmoreManning laid out in part.

If you look at Denver's presnap alignment, you will notice we have three to four down linemen, but Doom is always lined up anywhere between a 6-9 technique (outside shoulder of tge LT to outside shoulder of the TE). Because of Elvis' alignment, and the two gap responsibilities of the Big 3 BMore mentioned, Denver is techniquely showing a 3-4 look. When we use our nickle package, we keep 2 bigs inside, and keep Doom wide showing a 2-4 hybrid front at times. A few times we have shown a 2-3 3 safety look.

ColoradoDarin
01-02-2013, 02:31 PM
The little known Meth effect.

AWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm more than a little disappointed Req isn't posting in this thread. Is it the crow?

Come, come.....eat the crow...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lynbloSfwg1r50db3.gif

Bacchus
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Not bad for a rookie.

Good for you, you should be very proud.

pricejj
01-02-2013, 03:01 PM
I question your sporadic run defense and inconsistent Motor comments. Belichick would not tolerate, draft, or start such a player on his defense. If anything, he got schooled for being a rookie occasionally just like Wolfe did. Jones will be a standout player on that DL for years to come and I still wish DEN had drafted him.

Bellichick benched Jones a couple games ago for not giving enough effort against the run. You can question Bellichick motives all you want, but that's why I made that comment.

Jones is a solid player. I never questioned that. He's not an impact pass-rusher, never was, and probably never will be. That's what you want out of a 1st round DE. His rookie year was very similar his college career. Compare him to a guy like Elvis Dumervil, and it's not even close. Dumervil has always had a full repertoire of pass-rush moves, and averages 10.5 sacks over his NFL career. What gives you any indication that Jones would ever reach that level or anywhere close? Jones doesn't have the speed to get around the edge, and doesn't have pass-rush moves.

Jones is a good run-stopper, and a below-average pass rusher in the NFL, couple that with his well-documented injury issues, and it's difficult to see why he would be a "standout Defensive Line player for many years to come", whatever that means.

Jones didn't "stand-out" from anything this year, other than finishing 42nd among NFL DE's in sacks.

If the Broncos play the Patriots in the playoffs, I fully expect Clady to completely shut down Jones, just like in the 1st meeting.

Price has his own evaluation methods. He is strictly a number guy and it's obvious. He called Star a second round draft pick this year at best, this before having seen him play. He just went by the raw numbers and stats, which doesn't always tell the whole story. I know he's doing the same thing with Jones, because anyone who watches knows how important and flexible he is for the defense. Price means well but the eye test paints a far better picture then the numbers alone.

Of course you are wrong, but I don't need to tell you that. I commented that in any normal draft Lotulelei would not be a top 5 pick. I stand by that comment. I hadn't watched video of him, and made that well known. You can hang on that comment until your dying day if you want, but it's not going to get you anywhere. I told you I don't scout most college players until after the season's over but keep inventing fake stories.

I also said that I would withold commenting about any players until I fully evaluated them next time...so what is your issue?

Nobody questioned how important Jones is to the Patriots Defense. Bellichick specifically drafted Jones because he envisions Jones as JPP. Of course Bellichick is going to use him everywhere, he did draft Jones #22 overall, afterall. You can slobber all over Jones all you want, but I would still take Derek Wolfe over him, anyday, anytime. Their play this year provides me vindication, and the Broncos are better for it. That's all I care about.

Jones was always pegged as a 2nd round pick, and that's about the level he's playing at. I'm glad Bellichick wasted his extra 1st rounder trading up to get him.

On the other hand, Derek Wolfe is playing at a near elite level for an NFL DT in only his rookie year, and is still improving.

Mogulseeker
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Surprised at Irvin... seemed like a huge reach, but has worked out well for the Seahawks so far.

Bmore Manning
01-02-2013, 05:31 PM
Price, I am not enamored with anyone on the Patriots. In fact I despise Tom and Bill and any and all Patriots! But what your saying about Jones is way wrong. I have stuck up for you on here and appreciate your passion and effort in your posts. But sometimes dude, you say things from a small sample size and lack of enough insight. Ironically you start the post of saying I'm wrong as always.. That's interesting.

gyldenlove
01-02-2013, 05:33 PM
Surprised at Irvin... seemed like a huge reach, but has worked out well for the Seahawks so far.

Irvin was only a reach personality wise, he was pretty widely considered the best pure pass rusher in the draft but had so many red flags and question marks on his behavioural record many teams didn't consider him draftable.

2KBack
01-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Irvin was only a reach personality wise, he was pretty widely considered the best pure pass rusher in the draft but had so many red flags and question marks on his behavioural record many teams didn't consider him draftable.

Carroll has done pretty well with his island of misfit toys

Requiem
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm more than a little disappointed Req isn't posting in this thread. Is it the crow?

Come, come.....eat the crow...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lynbloSfwg1r50db3.gif

Happy to eat crow when a player performs the way Wolfe did as a rookie. Methabulous!

BMarsh615
01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
His stats compare favorably to JJ Watt's rookie year. Watt had 48 tackles and 5.5 sacks last year.

DivineLegion
01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
His stats compare favorably to JJ Watt's rookie year. Watt had 48 tackles and 5.5 sacks last year.

Yes, but can he jump out of a sea teaming with offensive linemen to swat a ball out of the air like a humpback whale?

fontaine
01-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Wolfe has really had a strong 2nd half of the season. For the amount of snaps he's played, he's finishing strong and really playing with a lot of power and motor.

I can't wait to see the kind of progress he makes with another full offseason of conditioning and strength work.

Dedhed
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
...Where have you been?

What do you mean?

gyldenlove
01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Carroll has done pretty well with his island of misfit toys

Absolutely, I think Carroll would be the correct choice for coach of the year - the Colts duo did their work against a soft schedule, the Seahawks beat up quality teams all year.

gunns
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM

Well if we're going to pound our chests about who we wanted, I was the one advocating for Russell Wilson but was knocked down at every post for his size. So there

Ouch that hurt my chest.

pricejj
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Price, I am not enamored with anyone on the Patriots. In fact I despise Tom and Bill and any and all Patriots! But what your saying about Jones is way wrong. I have stuck up for you on here and appreciate your passion and effort in your posts. But sometimes dude, you say things from a small sample size and lack of enough insight. Ironically you start the post of saying I'm wrong as always.. That's interesting.

You're rarely wrong about football...but you're wrong about me, so don't judge me from one post I made 2 weeks ago. You have no clue how Lotulelei will perform as an NFL player, and neither do I...so don't act like the book is written.

I acknowledged that Lotulelei might be better than the low 1st round draft pick, I originally pegged him at, based on a quick glance at his stats...don't crucify me for it.

DUI55 always mentions Crick because I created a thread about him about 4 months before the 2012 draft, mentioning him as a possible selection for the Broncos at #25. As more information came out, I changed my tune, just like many professional draft analysts. I don't pretend to know nearly as much about football as many people who post here do...nor do I care.

Oh, and Chandler Jones sucks. Carry on. :sunshine:

Rascal
01-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Still want at least one more early DT pick.

Action
01-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Wolfe has played nice this season and has a motor when pass rushing. He's developing better pass rushing skills/moves/techniques as the season progresses and I can't wait to see where he'll be at next year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000120142/Broncos-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

Completely man handled the guard. The guard looks like he was in a slap fight.

theAPAOps5
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM
Ha I didn't catch just how much he made that OLineman look like he was on roller skates. He destroyed that guy.

My skin is so itchy now.

Bacchus
01-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Wolfe has played nice this season and has a motor when pass rushing. He's developing better pass rushing skills/moves/techniques as the season progresses and I can't wait to see where he'll be at next year.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000120142/Broncos-defense-sack-5-yd-loss

Completely man handled the guard. The guard looks like he was in a slap fight.

Unrein was about .5 seconds away as well. Solid in the middle!!

Drek
01-03-2013, 04:50 AM

How is Jenkins the "right" pick? He's already been suspended for smoking weed by Fischer once this season, and he got Brandon Gibson (their best WR when Amendola isn't healthy) to smoke up with him too.

He hasn't learned a damn thing and is walking proof of the "can't fix stupid" theory.

gyldenlove
01-03-2013, 05:29 AM
How is Jenkins the "right" pick? He's already been suspended for smoking weed by Fischer once this season, and he got Brandon Gibson (their best WR when Amendola isn't healthy) to smoke up with him too.

He hasn't learned a damn thing and is walking proof of the "can't fix stupid" theory.

He was benched for missing curfew, teams can not suspend players for substance abuse, that falls strictly under the leagues policy. He was benched along with Chris Givens, not Brandon Gibson, Givens is also a better WR than Gibson.

If he had been nailed for hitting the pipe he would have been suspended by the league.

Dedhed
01-03-2013, 06:55 AM
If Wolfe can continue to improve into next year and we can add another solid interior guy, our pass rush will be a terror. Getting off on the snap is one area where he has some room to improve; if he can get a better jump on OL he'll be tough to handle with the motor he has.

Drek
01-03-2013, 07:04 AM
He was benched for missing curfew, teams can not suspend players for substance abuse, that falls strictly under the leagues policy. He was benched along with Chris Givens, not Brandon Gibson, Givens is also a better WR than Gibson.

If he had been nailed for hitting the pipe he would have been suspended by the league.

It's been pretty heavily inferred by people on STL talk radio that they were caught high after curfew. The team didn't make them pee in a cup so they haven't technically failed a test, which is a good thing since people close to the Rams have also subtly admitted that he's already in the league's substance abuse program. If he had he'd be out 4 weeks, not just the one.

Most Rams beat guys and the like have openly talked about Jenkins getting in trouble again as a matter of "when", not "if". He hasn't grown up at all. Fischer has Courtland Finnegan of all people trying to mentor him.

But yes, I did get the wrong Rams WR.

canadianbroncosfan
01-03-2013, 07:20 AM
AWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO

DENVERDUI55
01-03-2013, 08:53 AM

It's the right pick because it's REV's guy and his hard on for DB's. It's just like he still thinks Peterson was the right pick over Von Miller.

pricejj
01-03-2013, 09:16 AM
It's the right pick because it's REV's guy and his hard on for DB's. It's just like he still thinks Peterson was the right pick over Von Miller.

Rev was definitely right about Jenkins NFL ability. You can't argue with his production. The Broncos needed a DT for the longest time (and they got a good one in Wolfe), but might need a CB in the 1st round this year depending how Harris and Carter hold up in the playoffs.

Anybody who was watched Jenkins, is he better than Chris Harris?

On a side note, what was going on with Dre Kirkpatrick this year?

Drek
01-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Rev was definitely right about Jenkins NFL ability. You can't argue with his production. The Broncos needed a DT for the longest time (and they got a good one in Wolfe), but might need a CB in the 1st round this year depending how Harris and Carter hold up in the playoffs.

Anybody who was watched Jenkins, is he better than Chris Harris?

On a side note, what was going on with Dre Kirkpatrick this year?

There is no disputing Jenkins talent as a cover corner, but he's got more than a healthy dose of Pac-man Jones syndrome. That's a gamble for anyone taken before the 4th round.

I look at it this way - if X narcotic/substance of choice was legal would this guy still have character issues? With Jenkins that's a clear yes. If there was no negative stigma attached to weed it wouldn't matter because either when he's high or just as a general way to go through life he makes horribly immature choices on a regular basis. You can't just teach him that he needs to lay off the icky sticky, you need to teach him how to be a different person. Good luck with that.

Kaylore
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
AWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO

This

pricejj
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
There is no disputing Jenkins talent as a cover corner, but he's got more than a healthy dose of Pac-man Jones syndrome. That's a gamble for anyone taken before the 4th round.

If he really is a bad seed (I know nothing about the guy), it would inhibit the teams ability to gel and play together.

One of the 2013 Broncos strongest suits is that all the players are team guys...both units are strong, cohesive, and really work well together.

SportinOne
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
While we are gloating, I wanted Russell Wilson. Bad. I said it here somewhere. Jury is obviously out on Osweiller but still... Imagine Wilson learning from Manning..

Kaylore
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
While we are gloating, I wanted Russell Wilson. Bad. I said it here somewhere. Jury is obviously out on Osweiller but still... Imagine Wilson learning from Manning..

I don't think they're comparable. Shanahan was apparently looking at him, though. That makes sense for what they do.

Tombstone RJ
01-03-2013, 11:34 AM
I don't think they're comparable. Shanahan was apparently looking at him, though. That makes sense for what they do.

If Shanny would have gotten Wilson too, OMG!! Shanny is gonna rape someone in a trade for Cousins.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i6se4_rHyBc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lonestar
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Still want at least one more early DT pick.

:thumbs: then again DL in two years. I'm a firm believer that games are won or lost at the LOS.
Every other year we should be getting either OL or DL with top picks.
I'm tired of trying to dominate the LOS with round 5-7 guys. Just Does not happen down inside the red zone it becomes the biggest bodies dominate down there and we have needed upgrades on both side for over a decade.

Glad Josh got that started in his last draft.

lonestar
01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Absolutely, I think Carroll would be the correct choice for coach of the year - the Colts duo did their work against a soft schedule, the Seahawks beat up quality teams all year.

Which teams were those.

These were hardly quality teams.

http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/SEAHAWKS

And they did beat up a few teams like the bills.

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM

You're so ****ing stupid that it honestly hurts me to even acknowledge you exist

DENVERDUI55
01-03-2013, 12:21 PM
You're so ****ing stupid that it honestly hurts me to even acknowledge you exist

OK broken record here. You have 4 things you say to smack talk. Good job tough guy.

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
OK broken record here. You have 4 things you say to smack talk. Good job tough guy.

DENVERDUI just like's to get anal in a truck stop bathroom.

There, just did the same thing you did in your earlier post.

DENVERDUI55
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
DENVERDUI just like's to get anal in a truck stop bathroom.

There, just did the same thing you did in your earlier post.

You can now call me a poser it seems about time. There is something wierd about you talking about dicks in the mouth of men or anal with men. That must turn you on as much as you mention that in your posts.

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 12:28 PM
You can now call me a poser it seems about time. There is something wierd about you talking about ***** in the mouth of men or anal with men. That must turn you on as much as you mention that in your posts.

Guess I'll requote this here:

Here ya go, bro. I did all the work for ya:

https://orders.hookedonphonics.com/Learn-To-Read.aspx?vc=WPG1&pc=SWPGCI&gclid=CLvVw7D1zLQCFQ3nnAodlm4ABA

Out of genuine curiosity, what is the highest grade level you completed? 6th?

DENVERDUI55
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Guess I'll requote this here:

Out of genuine curiosity, what is the highest grade level you completed? 6th?
I'll beat you to this.

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 12:34 PM
I'll beat you to this.

...okay. But seriously, and I'm not even messing around or just trying to make fun of you (even though it's insanely easy and fun), but being COMPLETELY serious:

Would you please post a picture? I don't think there's ANY chance you have the correct number of chromosomes.

DENVERDUI55
01-03-2013, 12:53 PM
...okay. But seriously, and I'm not even messing around or just trying to make fun of you (even though it's insanely easy and fun), but being COMPLETELY serious:

Would you please post a picture? I don't think there's ANY chance you have the correct number of chromosomes.

HOLY ****.......CUTE....

TheReverend
01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
HOLY ****.......CUTE....

...so I'm right, right?

Bmore Manning
01-03-2013, 01:01 PM
:thumbs: then again DL in two years. I'm a firm believer that games are won or lost at the LOS.
Every other year we should be getting either OL or DL with top picks.
I'm tired of trying to dominate the LOS with round 5-7 guys. Just Does not happen down inside the red zone it becomes the biggest bodies dominate down there and we have needed upgrades on both side for over a decade.

Glad Josh got that started in his last draft.

Wait wait.. Weren't you just critical of me asking for DTs in the draft forum..?

lonestar
01-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Wait wait.. Weren't you just critical of me asking for DTs in the draft forum..?

I doubt it as I've wanted DTs since 2000. If you have read any of my posts ever I beleive that if you have quality on the LOS you can have lesser quality behind them and still win most battles.

Give me three pro bowl quality guys on each side of the LOS and a couple more guys not quite as good. As well as some second tier guys behind them and I'll win a hell of a lot of games for you. Add in a manning type QB and it becomes unstoppable.

We should be drafting a big boy every other year to keep us fresh as well as be ready should we lose one to FA or injury. Same goes for the the OL.

Bmore Manning
01-03-2013, 01:47 PM
I doubt it as I've wanted DTs since 2000. If you have read any of my posts ever I beleive that if you have quality on the LOS you can have lesser quality behind them and still win most battles.

Give me three pro bowl quality guys on each side of the LOS and a couple more guys not quite as good. As well as some second tier guys behind them and I'll win a hell of a lot of games for you. Add in a manning type QB and it becomes unstoppable.

We should be drafting a big boy every other year to keep us fresh as well as be ready should we lose one to FA or injury. Same goes for the the OL.

Then why were you opposed to upgrading Bannan and Unrein in the draft and free agency when I suggested it?

errand
01-03-2013, 11:15 PM

Check my posts.

You got a board?

pricejj
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
You got a board?

Last year, I had an excel spreadsheet to pick #57...this year I'll probably just make a list of about 10 players that I want the Broncos to draft at the 1st and 2nd round pick after the combine.

My early list for the Broncos 1st rounder is:

1. Alex Okafor (DE) - The Broncos would have to use a 3rd? round pick to move up...but it would be worth it. Wolfe move's inside in the base package.
2. Lane Johnson (OT) - If Kuper is finished, move Orlando Franklin to RG
3. Kevin Minter (MLB) - Can he stop the run AND cover Aaron Hernandez? If so draft him, and drop DJ's salary
4. Johnathan Banks (CB) - Tony Carter might be a serious liability in the playoffs...let's hope not
5. Terrance Williams (WR) - Solid #2 WR, move Decker to the slot
6. Tayvon Austin (WR) - might be worth moving up for, playmaker probably gone in the top 20.
7. Eric Reid (SS) - solid thumper, would be a good pick if he can cover TE's
8. Barrett Jones (G/C) - this pick depends on Kuper's status
9. Kawann Short (DT) - add some pass rushability in the base package
10. Sylvester Williams (DT) - add some pass rushability in the base package

Most of the guys from this list will be remaining when the Broncos pick. They should move up to pick their man (an impact player), because the late round picks won't make the squad anyway...the roster is too good.

underrated29
01-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Out of curiosity anyone have the the rookie numbers from Wolfe and dareus? Dareus went top 4 if I'm not mistaken ya? I'd like to see how our guy wolfey who many say we reached on did to a sure fire top 10 DT.

Kaylore
01-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Out of curiosity anyone have the the rookie numbers from Wolfe and dareus? Dareus went top 4 if I'm not mistaken ya? I'd like to see how our guy wolfey who many say we reached on did to a sure fire top 10 DT.

Dareus has been very good. Remember he's more of a hog than Wolfe. He had 80 tackles and 11 sacks in two seasons. The numbers are comparable.

pricejj
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM

Marcel Dareus (2011) - 43 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 9.0 TFL's
Marcel Dareus (2012) - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 6.0 (or less) TFL's

Derek Wolfe (2012) - 40 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 9.0 TFL's

Keep in mind, one of Wolfe's sacks was canceled due to a questionable offsides call on Dumervil. He would have 7.0 sacks.

The players were born within one month of each other, so they are exactly the same age.

mhgaffney
01-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Wolfe was a steal in round two.

Cito Pelon
01-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Well if we're going to pound our chests about who we wanted, I was the one advocating for Russell Wilson but was knocked down at every post for his size. So there

Ouch that hurt my chest.

Kudos to you. That guy is a gamer. Pretty impressive the overall tools he has.

Tombstone RJ
01-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Last year, I had an excel spreadsheet to pick #57...this year I'll probably just make a list of about 10 players that I want the Broncos to draft at the 1st and 2nd round pick after the combine.

1. Alex Okafor (DE) - The Broncos would have to use a 3rd? round pick to move up...but it would be worth it. Wolfe move's inside in the base package.
3. Kevin Minter (MLB) - Can he stop the run AND cover Aaron Hernandez? If so draft him, and drop DJ's salary
4. Johnathan Banks (CB) - Tony Carter might be a serious liability in the playoffs...let's hope not
6. Tayvon Austin (WR) - might be worth moving up for, playmaker probably gone in the top 20.

Most of the guys from this list will be remaining when the Broncos pick. They should move up to pick their man (an impact player), because the late round picks won't make the squad anyway...the roster is too good.

I'd be very happy with Minter but I don't think he'll be around when the Broncos pick.

TheReverend
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM
I'd be very happy with Minter but I don't think he'll be around when the Broncos pick.

I was just thinking about this same thing earlier. Regardless, totally agree on both accounts. Minter would be a great fit at our biggest need. Fortunately, if he is gone, there are a handful of OL slated in that tier and a couple should still be available at our selection.

socalorado
01-04-2013, 03:07 PM

Minter is the guy DEN needs. And he should be there at 32.
Any later, and he will be long gone though.

socalorado
01-04-2013, 03:18 PM

NO to ALL of the WRs. Not needed and one can be had in FA, or a later round.
I love all of the O-linemen, however, i dont think Barret Jones will be there at 32. Lane, yes. Good pick. Short would be great, and Minter would be the best possible overall pick. Minter to me is the pick for DEN.
Sylvester Williams should go in the 2nd round.
As for CB's i think Banks is good but i think he's long gone by then. I actually think Banks could be the 1st CB off the board.
Jordan Poyer would just be an awesome players to aquire instead with pick 32 if DEN goes CB in the 1st. I still am a little wary of Xavier Rhodes until the combine. We'll see.

FearLanier
01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
The Rams draft an LSU DL and he's worth a ****.

**** you St. Louis. God damnit!

gyldenlove
01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't buy Tavon Austin that high, he is really undersized. He gets compared to guys like Welker and Harvin, but he is about 20 pounds lighter than those two guys were when they entered the league and he has a really skinny build. He is more of a Trindon Holliday than a Percy Harvin.

DBroncos4life
01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
I don't buy Tavon Austin that high, he is really undersized. He gets compared to guys like Welker and Harvin, but he is about 20 pounds lighter than those two guys were when they entered the league and he has a really skinny build. He is more of a Trindon Holliday than a Percy Harvin.

Dude WTF? Holliday had 7 career catches and 115 total rushes in 4 years at LSU. Tavon Austin had 73 rushes and 112 receptions this year alone. The guy might be small like Holliday, but that is were comparisons should end.

Kaylore
01-04-2013, 08:35 PM
The Rams draft an LSU DL and he's worth a ****.

**** you St. Louis. God damnit!

I'm not sure what this post means, but Fisher knows defense. The Rams are tied with Broncos for most sacks in the NFL. Brockers went to the best place for him to develop.

underrated29
01-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Great thanks guys. Wow, very very comparable. Now our defense is better than buffaloes, which surprised me because I thought they'd be much better at the start of the year, but we got ours in the second vs top 5. Great for us and wolf. Keep it up!

BroncoBuff
01-05-2013, 01:12 AM
Our big three, Vick, Bannan, Wolfe are all two gapping in a read and react scheme playing the run first. I myself didn't think we two gapped everywhere and it's not very noticeable.

No kidding ... didn't realize that. Makes Wolfe's sack numbers even more impressive.

Depth of this list is impressive too ... bet we've never had 7 players with multiple sacks in a season before.

Miller .. 18.5
Doom .. 11
Wolfe ... 6
WWIII .. 5.5
Harris ... 2.5
Ayers ... 2
K-Vick .. 2

pricejj
01-05-2013, 01:18 AM
Minter is the guy DEN needs. And he should be there at 32.
Any later, and he will be long gone though.

Hey socalorado...had some free time tonight so I decided to take a heavy look at Minter. There is some good news, and some bad news. Good news first:

1. Minter really solidified the middle of the LSU Defense this year, who had 3 new starting LB's. LSU finished 11th scoring in Defense in the nation...which isn't bad considering all their losses to the NFL last year.
2. He was listed as the #5 LB coming out of high school on Scout.com, so he has the pedigree.
3. Rivals stated that Minter has "good footwork". This is evident in video of him at LSU, as he diagnoses plays early, steadily closes on the ball, takes a minimal amount of false steps, and sheds blocks well. I think he would be an upgrade at MLB for the Broncos.
4. Minter has been described as being a "classic downhill tackler", although he lacks elite sideline-to-sideline speed, and could struggle in a spread Offense. It's tough to guage his coverage-ability, but a lot of that is taught at the pro-level. At 6'1" 245 lbs., with a 4.64 forty...his size is great at MLB, and his speed is adequate. Seems like an ideal John Fox type MLB.
5. He has been steadily improving since mid-season 2011...notching several 10+ tackle games in 2012.
6. No major injuries in his career.
7. He notches outstanding tackle quantities in the biggest games.
8. Minter could become a Pro Bowl caliber MLB, which is what you want out of a 1st round draft pick.

Now for the bad news:
1. Minter is flying up draft boards after his 19 tackle performance in the bowl game vs. Clemson...giving him 130 tackles on the year.
2. He has clearly solidified himself as the #2 overall ILB in this draft. That definitely puts him in jeopardy to be picked before the end of the 1st round.
3. Minter is probably a top 5 overall ILB prospects over the past 5 years. Behind only Kuechly, Te'o, and possibly Hightower. I don't think Rolando McClain was a better prospect (even though Al Davis did).

What does all this mean?

I would say the Broncos are probably going to have to trade up into the early 20's (above Cincinatti maybe even Chicago) to draft Minter if they want him. He is not spectacular, but he has the total package...and he would be an upgrade from Brooking and DJ. If Minter turns in a really good combine, it's game over. Good 4-3 MLB's in the NFL are few and far between. Landing Minter would be a double-positive, because the Broncos could cut DJ (who costs big $).

I would put him at the top of the Broncos list, but I would say the chances of nabbing him are slim. I could survive. Trevathan is developing nicely, and maybe DJ will restructure. There will be some impact players remaining at #32.

CEH
01-05-2013, 09:22 AM
IMO, We're not trading up to pick a MLBer. Top quality ILbers can be drafted every year in the 2nd round and since Denver looks to be at the end of the 1st they are in prime position to pick a ILber

Bacchus
01-05-2013, 09:42 AM
IMO, We're not trading up to pick a MLBer. Top quality ILbers can be drafted every year in the 2nd round and since Denver looks to be at the end of the 1st they are in prime position to pick a ILber

Lbers have the lowest bust percentage of 1st round picks. It would make sense, but Denver could get the first or second best S in the draft as well.

Eric Reid and Matt Elam could both be there when Denver selects it is also a deep draft at DT. If Denver does not re-sign Vickerson they could maybe pick up Sharrif Floyd.