PDA

View Full Version : Brock loves being Peyton's #2

BroncoBuff
01-01-2013, 10:45 PM
Wish we had seen more of him Sunday ......

Osweiler: Nothing better than being Peyton's No. 2
By ARNIE STAPLETON (AP Pro Football Writer)

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- All eyes were on Peyton Manning this season, especially Brock Osweiler's.

He's the Denver Broncos' OTHER first-year quarterback, a 6-foot-8 passing project from Arizona State who's the first signal-caller ever drafted with the intention of one day succeeding the league's most decorated passer.
Osweiler bears a striking resemblance to ''Twilight'' actor Robert Pattinson, but what he really wants is to look more like Manning.

So, he's taken advantage of his apprenticeship by watching Manning's every move, scribbling copious notes and mimicking his mentor's notorious work ethic and preparation.

''There's no greater blueprint,'' said Osweiler, who also hopes to pick up some pointers from another pre-eminent passer this offseason in Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, who waited in the wings for three years behind Brett Favre.
Osweiler said he's thrilled to be in Manning's shadow and insists he'll gladly bide his time while learning as much as he can from one of the game's greats.

Still, he says he's ready if needed. .........
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mannings-backup-says-theres-nothing-224932914--nfl.html

bronco610
01-01-2013, 10:56 PM
I can wait for pre-season to see Brock, the way we were letting teams come back on the score in some of the games we were leading by a safe margin I wanted Manning in there just in case.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Good article. Hopefully in the off-season he'll work independently on footwork and route tree throws with WR and TE.

Bacchus
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Peyton Manning's back-up, easiest job in the ****ing world!!

steeledude
01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Ugh he was just drafted because he's friends with Elways...blarg blarg blarg, he's terrible blarg

Bacchus
01-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Remember all the fights in the preseason about who should be the #2 QB Hanie, Weber or Oz? Wow, those arguments looking back were pretty silly. #2 QB don't matter when PMFM is throwing the rock.

steeledude
01-02-2013, 12:13 AM
Peyton is amazing. Looking at the draft thread earlier today had me hovering between insane laughter and rage at all the **** people were talking.

I hope Brock learns a lot in the next couple of years.

Drek
01-02-2013, 02:58 AM
Remember all the fights in the preseason about who should be the #2 QB Hanie, Weber or Oz? Wow, those arguments looking back were pretty silly. #2 QB don't matter when PMFM is throwing the rock.

No, I don't remember that at all. I remember most people recognizing the fact that Hanie is a POS scrub and that Weber was just roster filler. The only debate was between people who thought Hanie would stay #2 in title for a little while versus those who thought he'd lose the job immediately because he's one of the worst QBs to ever play in the NFL, ever.

UberBroncoMan
01-02-2013, 04:22 AM
Peyton Manning's back-up, easiest job in the ****ing world!!

Actually, it's chronicled by former Indy backups and coaches that being a backup under Manning is anything but easy. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Example: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-mannings-expectations-backups-great-news-osweiler-denver-165400517--nfl.html

"So the easiest job in the world is backup to Manning, right? Well, apparently it's anything but that. One of his former backups in Indianapolis, Jim Sorgi, admitted to the NFL Network Thursday morning that Manning expected Sorgi to be at the facility when he was at the facility. They would frequently get there at 7 a.m. and stay until 9 p.m. watching game film when they weren't in practice or in meetings."

Crushaholic
01-02-2013, 05:05 AM
Actually, it's chronicled by former Indy backups and coaches that being a backup under Manning is anything but easy. In fact it's quite the opposite.

Example: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peyton-mannings-expectations-backups-great-news-osweiler-denver-165400517--nfl.html

"So the easiest job in the world is backup to Manning, right? Well, apparently it's anything but that. One of his former backups in Indianapolis, Jim Sorgi, admitted to the NFL Network Thursday morning that Manning expected Sorgi to be at the facility when he was at the facility. They would frequently get there at 7 a.m. and stay until 9 p.m. watching game film when they weren't in practice or in meetings."

It didn't help Sorgi. I hope Osweiler will be different...

ColoradoDarin
01-02-2013, 05:26 AM
Who does Number 2 Work For?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nmJKY59NX8o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nmJKY59NX8o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

DENVERDUI55
01-02-2013, 08:11 AM

Yeah Sorgi such a rough life getting paid a great salary to sit around and do nothing. You made a lot of extra money because you played behind Manning instead of a bum that would of been benched/hurt and you would of had to play and shown what a bum you were. Sorgi got several extra years in the league because of Manning.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 08:15 AM
Brock make some key third down passes. Granted, there was only two but he was accurate and moved the chains. It was good for him to get some reps.

SouthStndJunkie
01-02-2013, 08:32 AM
I hope the only time we see Brock Osweiler in the next 3 or 4 years is when he is broken out as the human victory cigar at the end of games, like he was this season.

SonOfLe-loLang
01-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I hope the only time we see Brock Osweiler in the next 3 or 4 years is when he is broken out as the human victory cigar at the end of games, like he was this season.

The Victory Cigar is a fantastic nickname for him

SouthStndJunkie
01-02-2013, 09:20 AM
The Victory Cigar is a fantastic nickname for him

They used to call NBA player Darko Milicic 'The Human Victory Cigar', as he would only make an appearance at the end of games, when victory was assured....and when Brock Osweiler gets in a game, that's the first think I think of.

Break out the human victory cigar.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 09:22 AM
He'll get some valuable playing time in the second half of the Super Bowl after we are up by 35 at half.

ZONA
01-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Who does Number 2 Work For?

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nmJKY59NX8o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/nmJKY59NX8o?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

perfect

BroncoMan4ever
01-02-2013, 10:04 AM

Sorgi was a backup for a reason. Osweiler regardless of who drafted him, he was drafted to be a potential starter. Osweiler has raw ability and talent that can possibly make a damn good QB. Sorgi was just there and just a little better than the other random backup scrubs brought in to compete

Mogulseeker
01-02-2013, 10:06 AM

The Colts had Manning and a bunch of scrub 6th and 7th round picks.

Osweiler is a consensus project 2nd rounder.... I think if he started another year, and in a year without Luck, Griffin, Locker and Weeden, he would have been a first round draft pick even with his mechanical issues.

The thing about Ozzie is, that although his mechanics are a little funky, he has a very tight throwing motion for a QB his size. He has problems that can be fixed more quickly than Tebow... and he'll have more time and opportunity to do so. Plus he has arguable the two best QB's of all time to teach him.

That's what I love about this whole situation. This has the potential to be a huge value pick for the Broncos, given that we have the luxury of developing him for 3-4 years, and that he is totally okay with that, too.

Right now Ozzie's job is to be a student. It's so nice we're not asking him to lead us to a Super Bowl... yet.

Mogulseeker
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
Sorgi was a backup for a reason. Osweiler regardless of who drafted to be a potential starter. Osweiler has raw ability and talent that can possibly make a damn good QB. Sorgi was just there and just a little better than the other random backup scrubs brought in to compete

Exactly. Ozzie needs to work on his accuracy and decision making... those are things that can be improved upon. Raw talent can't be.

I think Ozzie could easily become another Joe Flacco, probably even better.

Again, I bet if he'd stayed on at ASU a year and worked with a QB coach last offseason, given the talent at QB in 2013, he'd be a mid-first rounder in this years draft.

Tombstone RJ
01-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if Elway told Manning that his eventual replacement was going to be drafted and that Elway expected Manning to help groom this young QB. No such thing existed in Indy and so there was no reason for Manning to really care about the back up QB, nor the back up QB to really absorb everything Manning did.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
So, he's taken advantage of his apprenticeship by watching Manning's every move, scribbling copious notes and mimicking his mentor's notorious work ethic and preparation.

''There's no greater blueprint,'' said Osweiler, who also hopes to pick up some pointers from another pre-eminent passer this offseason in Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, who waited in the wings for three years behind Brett Favre.

that right there is part of why i'm so excited about Brock.
dude has all the potential in the world but i love that he's working hard on his craft and hoping to emulate one of the best of all time.

As Manning's backup, Osweiler only gets a handful of throws each week at practice, but he does get to pick the perfectionist's brain while Caleb Hanie runs the scout team. Osweiler doesn't just stay on the sideline, either; he stands behind the offense ''so I can try to see what Peyton's seeing and I use that as a mental rep and put myself through the play.''
I love this quote even more. that's just dedication and desire.
hopefully he won't have to play unless it's a blowout for another 3 years or so.

I wouldn't be suprised if Elway told Manning that his eventual replacement was going to be drafted and that Elway expected Manning to help groom this young QB. No such thing existed in Indy and so there was no reason for Manning to really care about the back up QB, nor the back up QB to really absorb everything Manning did.
it's been widely reported than Manning wanted to make sure there was a legit back up in place when he signed. he wanted to make sure the franchise wouldn't be put in a bad situation in case his neck didn't hold up or he couldn't get back to what he once was.

Mogulseeker
01-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Ozzie was 21 when he was drafted.

4 + 21 = 25.

Not too bad for a starter with fours years of grooming under Manning/Elway.

Taco John
01-02-2013, 11:09 AM

4 + 21 = 25.

That's the way that I want to see it.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM

4 + 21 = 25.

And Hillman will be 24.

baja
01-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Not only that but both young players will benefit form what is looking like one of the best conditioning programs in the NFL.

Lestat
01-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Not only that but both young players will benefit form what is looking like one of the best conditioning programs in the NFL.

indeed, really like the revamps done throughout the franchise.