PDA

View Full Version : Why the Broncos are peaking at the right time

Gutless Drunk
01-01-2013, 04:42 PM
"When John Fox hired Luke Richesson back in February, it was with an eye on this week.

Fox wanted the Broncos to be playing their best football of the regular season right here, right now. But the Broncos would have to reverse a trend to do that. They had lost their last four last year, and, before Foxs arrival, had lost six of their last seven in 2010 and eight of their last 10 in 2009.

How could Richesson stop the late season slides? By changing the way the Broncos trained"

"If the Broncos are an indicator of how this style of training impacts a team, expect others to follow their lead.

The Broncos appear to be peaking, having won 10 straight. Their starters have missed 60 games due to injuries, but if you take out the early season ending injuries of Jason Hunter, J.D. Walton and Ty Warren, starters have missed only 20 games with injuries. None of the injuries to starters were muscle pulls. Fullback Chris Gronkowski recently said this was the healthiest team he has been on.

I think our guys our fresh now, Fox said. I like where our team is...

Read more at:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-1965.html

hades
01-01-2013, 04:50 PM
Haven't read the link yet, but really, didn't we have like 20 groin strains last year alone!

bowtown
01-01-2013, 04:53 PM
They may be healthy but how far can they push the sled?

Jetmeck
01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
14 in a row thats all I want for my POST X-mas gift..................lol

Chris
01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
I pulled my groin reading this article.

Jetmeck
01-01-2013, 06:16 PM
I pulled my groin reading this article.

Quit it, I mean it you will jinx us.

I was afraid when Moreno came up gimpy the last game that was the deal.....................

BroncoLifer
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
Very interesting article, thanks.

extralife
01-02-2013, 12:10 AM
I "pulled my groin" reading this article.

fixed

Chris
01-02-2013, 01:28 AM
Quit it, I mean it you will jinx us.

I was afraid when Moreno came up gimpy the last game that was the deal.....................

I pulled my article reading this groin?

DenverBound
01-02-2013, 01:47 AM
This is a testament to Bowlen's commitment to this team. I love that he just sold out and dropped $500,000 on an entire new training system. What an owner. Choke on that SoCal...

myMind
01-02-2013, 02:44 AM
You can do it, Broncos, because you're all winners. You haven't peaked. You haven't even begun to peak, but you're gonna peak this month. Oh, you're gonna peak all over everybody.

tsiguy96
01-02-2013, 03:38 AM
would love to see what hes doing, that said...

"“When you lift you are tightening your muscles and losing flexibility."
Not true.

and..
Out went the old school racks, barbells and benches. In came pneumatic machines, cables, vibrating platforms and devices Arnold Schwarzenegger probably never would recognize.

that makes me go hmmm, i would be very interested to see what the program looks like.

tesnyde
01-02-2013, 05:42 AM
Haven't read the link yet, but really, didn't we have like 20 groin strains last year alone!

No worry about groin strains. Per Elway they are doing dong extensions less:

"Were still dong some of that stuff, but not nearly to the extent we used to."

Crushaholic
01-02-2013, 05:50 AM
Prior to the season, I remember people scratching heads, at this move. Bench presses are out? How ridiculous! I'm sure I was one of those people. It was another move, in a SERIES of brilliant moves, this year. That's why I'm HOPING this is our year. Signs SEEM to point in that direction. We'll see...:sunshine:

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 05:57 AM
You know, I have seen Peyton Manning do things this year with his legs and rolling out I have never seen him do before in INDY and I have seen every one of his games here. I attributed a lot of that to his neck rehab and trying to come back better than ever.

However, it looks like Luke Richesson has had a lot to do with Changing Manning as well. He does have much better core and flexibility movement this year and this new training regiment would certainly have helped with that. Especially no more "Victory Mondays" that Indy was always doing a having a lighter end of year schedule and also known for fading down the stretch and losing key players to injury.

As far as lifting and tightening muscles goes tsiguy, its the NFL style of lifting for bulk over strength that does that. Strength is not just a max, in football it is also endurance and applied form. Too many NFL programs produce players out of proportion and get the dreaded hamstring tears and arm muscle tears due to lack of flexibility. Bob Sanders was one poor culprit. He overlifted for years to compensate for his small stature and tore all kinds of soft tissue by being bulked up and inflexible. His last 2 season ending injuries were biceps tears where he could not straighten his arms completely. They got tangled making a tackle and he tore his biceps when they got caught under someone!

So, while not always true about lifting tightening your muscles, its certainly true with the way most NFL programs are still currently set up.

BroncoBeavis
01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
This is a testament to Bowlen's commitment to this team. I love that he just sold out and dropped $500,000 on an entire new training system. What an owner. Choke on that SoCal...

Not so fast there. Word on the street is he picked it up at Aarons. :)

RedskinBronco
01-02-2013, 06:09 AM
I don't know why, but I always get paranoid when a team is on a long winning streak.

Don't get me wrong, if I am a seattle, skins or broncos fan I am extremely happy with these current winning streaks but that old adage that you start taking shortcuts when you go on long winning streaks is always in my head.

I hope the skins and broncos don't lose until they get a super bowl matchup but damn it's like pins and needles just thinking "how could the broncos possibly win 12 in a row to get to the SB or the redskins possibly win 10 in a row to get to SB?"

Drek
01-02-2013, 06:22 AM
Been saying for years now that we needed to change how we went about physical conditioning. We finally do it and not only do we immediately stop seeing the plague of soft tissue injuries we had year after year before this, but our guys are actually strongest in late games and at home, another sign of superior conditioning.

Will this current approach give sustained results? We'll see, but for now it's clear we were behind the times and now it looks like we're ahead of the game, at least by a little bit. The fact of the matter is that there is no excuse for a team that trains at altitude to not be the best conditioned team in the league, nice to see Fox and co. are taking that seriously.

CEH
01-02-2013, 06:23 AM
I don't know why, but I always get paranoid when a team is on a long winning streak.

Don't get me wrong, if I am a seattle, skins or broncos fan I am extremely happy with these current winning streaks but that old adage that you start taking shortcuts when you go on long winning streaks is always in my head.

I hope the skins and broncos don't lose until they get a super bowl matchup but damn it's like pins and needles just thinking "how could the broncos possibly win 12 in a row to get to the SB or the redskins possibly win 10 in a row to get to SB?"

I think the mantra now has to be 3 more. Forget about the past 11

I did some quick analysis. 21 teams since '96 finished 13-3
8 made the Super Bowl, 10 lost in the div round and 3 lost in the Champ round

Rocket 7
01-02-2013, 06:48 AM
Good call Hulamau

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105988

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 09:09 AM
I was going to start a thread on this but didn't want to jinx it.

Soft tissue injuries are way down this year from under Tuten. There is also far less late fatigue. Coincidence? Well considering we are setting historical marks for the second half of games, it might not be. Some of it is good adjusting, but consider how many times we've seen our players going ape**** late in games. Also consider we are historically a crappy team in December and this year we were perfect.

Luke Richesson's philosophy works. Players are healthier, have more endurance and are able to return to work in short order when they do get injured.

One more notch in the belt of Elway.

I often wonder how many of Shanny's teams would have done better if they weren't getting killed four weeks into the seasons. It seems like his old school approach produces a ton of injuries.

BroncoBeavis
01-02-2013, 09:15 AM
I still get a long-conditioned panicked feeling going into second halves of games, even though we normally go on to stomp the **** out of everyone late. I always attributed the late game/season bedwetting to Masterminding in the early part of the game/season, followed by adjustments from the other teams. But maybe there was something more to it.

I'm still not sure if that feeling will ever go away though. :)

bronco militia
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Soft tissue injuries are way down this year from under Tuten. There is also far less late fatigue. Coincidence? Well considering we are setting historical marks for the second half of games, it might not be. Some of it is good adjusting, but consider how many times we've seen our players going ape**** late in games. Also consider we are historically a crappy team in December and this year we were perfect.

Luke Richesson's philosophy works. Players are healthier, have more endurance and are able to return to work in short order when they do get injured.

I often wonder how many of Shanny's teams would have done better if they weren't getting killed four weeks into the seasons. It seems like his old school approach produces a ton of injuries.

what? Shanny rarely allowed contact in practice after Training camp was finished. He picked that up in San Fransisco

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:20 AM

The thing about Mike, is he was into way too many things in DEN. He hired the best he could back in 1995-6 to get Tuten and Greek. However, he never questioned if they were still at the top of their games in the 2000's. He was loyal to them and involved in so much he failed to assess if they were still the best 5, 10, 15 years later. He was not able to compare their performance to the team and what ailed them down those December stretches.

I hope he learns from that in DC. Obviously, the Skins have been on a roll and even losing RGIII for 2 games did not stop their winning streak! I know he still struggles with his staff hiring, but the FO stuff I have not had the time to research at all. I know Bruce Allen is still there which is a huge difference than in DEN.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 09:24 AM
what? Shanny rarely allowed contact in practice after Training camp was finished. He picked that up in San Fransisco

Actually, he coddled the vets a little too much. The new regime took away "Victory Mondays" and replaced it with repair core work the day after a game to facilitate a quicker recovery and better long term health.

The old School method of strength and conditioning also made less flexible and less properly managed body structure. Combine those methods and you get muscle breakdown and stress that leads to injury and late season drop in performance.

bronco militia
01-02-2013, 09:34 AM
Actually, he coddled the vets a little too much. The new regime took away "Victory Mondays" and replaced it with repair core work the day after a game to facilitate a quicker recovery and better long term health.

The old School method of strength and conditioning also made less flexible and less properly managed body structure. Combine those methods and you get muscle breakdown and stress that leads to injury and late season drop in performance.

maybe he did...but it worked for San Fransico and when Shanahan got here in 1995.

All I'm saying is that Shanahan was very conscience of his teams health. He thought avoiding some contact in practice would help his team down the stretch.

Rocket 7
01-02-2013, 09:36 AM

The Houston Texans head strength and conditioning coach is Cedric Smith who was under Tuten here in Denver. Their team is fading down the stretch and I don't think that is a coincidence.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 09:40 AM
The Houston Texans head strength and conditioning coach is Cedric Smith who was under Tuten here in Denver. Their team is fading down the stretch and I don't think that is a coincidence.

How interesting.

barryr
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
The only real worry is the team taking a week off from playing, getting as bye, and possibly losing momentum. That has happened to teams in the past and possibly even the Broncos back in 1996, so I hope not playing a week won't affect the team at all.

Kaylore
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM
The only real worry is the team taking a week off from playing, getting as bye, and possibly losing momentum. That has happened to teams in the past and possibly even the Broncos back in 1996, so I hope not playing a week won't affect the team at all.

I think this is different. The 96 team hadn't played in playoff game in three years, and hadn't won one in 5. There were a lot of new pieces because it was Shanahan's second year so turnover was high. We finished December 2-2, including getting anihilated by the eventual SB champions and a meaningless game where we rested our starters at San Diego. They hadn't played a real game in three weeks. I think that had to do with a team with little experience and letting the moment get the best of them after a big layoff.

This team won the division and played in two playoff games last year, winning one. We have been playing really well and had to play all through the last four games, winning all in convincing fashion, and only pulled Manning after we were up by 27. Fox isn't taking this week off, either. They are going to fine tune this week and then have a team-lift session on Saturday.

We may not win next week, but it won't be because of the bye.

Mediator12
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM

I think this can be a mental issue, but what I really like is that the physical side is kicking ass right now and guys won't atrophy on the bye week like in the past. Manning will get their minds right IMHO, and Fox and CO will be ready for whoever they face.

With the momentum going so strongly right now, solid training and lack of contact will be a welcome way to keep it going IMHO.

Tombstone RJ
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
You know, I have seen Peyton Manning do things this year with his legs and rolling out I have never seen him do before in INDY and I have seen every one of his games here. I attributed a lot of that to his neck rehab and trying to come back better than ever.

However, it looks like Luke Richesson has had a lot to do with Changing Manning as well. He does have much better core and flexibility movement this year and this new training regiment would certainly have helped with that. Especially no more "Victory Mondays" that Indy was always doing a having a lighter end of year schedule and also known for fading down the stretch and losing key players to injury.

As far as lifting and tightening muscles goes tsiguy, its the NFL style of lifting for bulk over strength that does that. Strength is not just a max, in football it is also endurance and applied form. Too many NFL programs produce players out of proportion and get the dreaded hamstring tears and arm muscle tears due to lack of flexibility. Bob Sanders was one poor culprit. He overlifted for years to compensate for his small stature and tore all kinds of soft tissue by being bulked up and inflexible. His last 2 season ending injuries were biceps tears where he could not straighten his arms completely. They got tangled making a tackle and he tore his biceps when they got caught under someone!

So, while not always true about lifting tightening your muscles, its certainly true with the way most NFL programs are still currently set up.

I'm guessing that a more traditional weight lifting program can be ok in the offseason, to help keep up weight, however, what Richesson is doing appears to be working and I love it.

mwill07
01-02-2013, 11:27 AM

A bye wasn't a problem in week 7, in fact you could say the teams first bye kick-started the winning streak.

mkporter
01-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Richiesson also has some interesting comments about the difficulty of maintaining peak performance at altitude. This goes against the common wisdom of altitude always being an advantage.

Tombstone RJ
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Richiesson also has some interesting comments about the difficulty of maintaining peak performance at altitude. This goes against the common wisdom of altitude always being an advantage.

It is an advantage when you train at high altitude and then go to low altitude to play a game. Recovery time is much less at low altitude. But yes, I can see it being difficult to maintain long term peak performance at higher altitudes due to the simple fact that less oxygen over an extended amount of training time can fatigue the body.

yerner
01-02-2013, 12:30 PM
Great article, thanks for posting.

I think it's interesting to see the where the balance will ultimately be found between the traditional power lifts and the newer ideas of strength training. Does anyone know if teams had these guys lifting heavy during the season? I've never really heard too much of the protocol.

bowtown
01-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Meh, I still think Knowshon's whole "Everybody Lose 50 LBS on Crossfit and Become a Soccer Team" regimen needed more exploring.

Steve Sewell
01-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Keep going guys, I love bro-science

BroncsCheer
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

"There are no coincidences" - Harry Bosch

BroncoFox
01-02-2013, 06:57 PM
I just think it's kind of funny how we are "peaking" at the right time, when we've won 11 games in a row. What.. have we been peaking for 11 weeks?

Drek
01-03-2013, 03:32 AM
Meh, I still think Knowshon's whole "Everybody Lose 50 LBS on Crossfit and Become a Soccer Team" regimen needed more exploring.

Speaking of Moreno, just how much did the new program benefit him? I mean, he looks like a different guy from a power standpoint and he's staying healthy. By all accounts he was as dedicated to the off-season conditioning program as a guy rehabbing an ACL could be. Year two with real strength and conditioning training and not that crossfit junk could do even more for him.

ol#7
01-03-2013, 05:02 PM
I just think it's kind of funny how we are "peaking" at the right time, when we've won 11 games in a row. What.. have we been peaking for 11 weeks?

Really think it boils down to Manning and the offense clicking. Each week they raise the bar higher than I thought possible. Who is playing as we'll as Denver right now? Seattle? Just glad that streak paid off with the top seed and bye week.

Mediator12
01-09-2013, 11:07 AM
I think this needs to be brought up with regards to the Shanahan RGIII situation as well. WAS Strength and Conditioning program more closely resembles the Tuten era from what I have been told and does not take advantage of the unique Movement prep and muscle elongation that the Core performance model holds. It also expands explosive movement and use of the smaller musculature to strengthen the joints themselves and protect against injury like the one RGIII sustained and reinjured.

So, not only was the decision to play RGIII under question IMHO, but the method of Movement preparation to replace static stretching, prevention (prehab), and regeneration needed to allow RGIII to recover and play are under scrutiny as well.

2KBack
01-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Amazing how quickly you can go from being considered cutting edge to being behind the times.

Mediator12
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Amazing how quickly you can go from being considered cutting edge to being behind the times.

I never considered the NFL programs to be cutting edge at all. I still think it is an Old boys network and they have very few true innovators in the front office or coaching staffs utilizing the latest training, teaching, and learning methods.

Case in Point, the NFL playbook and software company XOS has developed some amazing tools and ways for the athletes to train their minds on the road. And, the coaches are able to visually show the plays and how they think they could happen from a visual video game standpoint in meetings. To date only a few teams utilize these capabilities at all, and its not a top down mandated thing. Colleges are actually leading the way in software utilization, despite less resources.

The NFL does still have a long ways to go in making their product better. They are very, very resistant to any actual process changes IMHO.

BroncoFanatic
01-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Dang, I missed the memo on double-post Wednesday

Edit: damn that was quick

Mediator12
01-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Dang, I missed the memo on double-post Wednesday

HAHAHA! I fixed it, and you now look silly :sunshine:

Bronco Yoda
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
^ agree

Obviously Luke Richesson is doing something right here. We look healthier at this stage of the season than ever.

Thanks again Elway :)